Exercise! - Running in October

Pages : [1] 2

View Full Version : Running in October

loquaciousjogger
10-01-2009, 02:57 AM
In terms of music, I love: Time to Pretend by MGMT, Fire Burning by Sean Kingston, Breaking the Habit by Linkin Part, Move by CSS, What Are you Waiting for by Gwen Stefani, Baba O'Riley, Blue Orchid by the White Stripes, Whatever You Like by TI, I Know You Want Me by Pitbull, 10 Dollar - MIA, This River is Wild - The Killers, For Reasons Unknown - The Killers, Date With The Night - Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Dangerous - Ying Yang Twins, Pledge of Allegiance - Louis XIV, Waking Up in Vegas - Katy Perry, Lying from You - Linkin Park, Electric Feel - MGMT.

That's my hardcore running playlist. :) All amazing songs to run to that will keep you pumped! I used this playlist for my recent 5K and it definitely got me through the end...

I'm happy October is here. I got 10lbs to lose! ;)

iDream
10-01-2009, 10:19 AM
Good morning girls! Thanks for all the great music suggestions! I'm suddenly feeling very old and out of the loop though because I haven't heard of half the bands you ladies mentioned! :lol:

Thanks also for the congrats! :)

TakingCharge~ sorry to hear about your shins! Do take care of them!! Thanks for the heads up--I heard that they recalled the swabs a few months ago because some people were reporting loss of smell, but the tablets (last I heard) were still okay. I never used the swabs anyway and my sniffer is working just fine. ;) I will, however, check into it just to be on the safe side. :)

Got my 3 miles in today in 30:59. I'm noticing that there's a pattern, a slower run on Tuesday, a slightly quicker run on Thursday and then a slower run on Saturday...hmm...oh well, I'm just glad I'm running the whole 3 miles! ;)

Okay, gotta go--need to do some shopping! Hope everyone has a great day!!! :)

sharongracepjs
10-01-2009, 10:40 AM
iDream - recently I've been into a lot of awesome 80's stuff while I run...I love it because there's a good beat, but a much slower one than most contemporary pop. Plus, it makes me feel like I'm in a dramatic montage from a movie! :D Lots of Blondie, Heart, Pat Benatar - LOL! The last iTunes binge I went on, I picked out lots of topical stuff like:

Don't Stop - Fleetwood Mac
Hungry Like the Wolf - Duran Duran
Take A Chance On Me - ABBA
Separate Ways (Worlds Apart) - Journey
Rock You Like A Hurricane - The Scorpions
Right Now - Van Halen
Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Don't Look Back - Boston

PS Uh-oh! Just looked at the Calendar - We need a new thread!

dancerindenver
10-01-2009, 12:06 PM
iDream - huge giant congrats! That's so exciting!! You must be feeling on top of the world! As far as music, I listen to lots of Beyonce, Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Pink, Black-eyed Peas - see if any of those appeal to you. Oh - and I love the song Mercy.

TC - bummer about your shins! When I used to go to PT for shinsplint issues eons ago, they had me sort of massaging the bruised feeling areas along the shinbones to speed up the healing. Not sure if it really works but it seemed to help me at the time.

Ilene
10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
:woohoo: first one to start the October thread :p

In October, now that the cooler weather is here, I want to increase my pace... looking over my calendar my pace is 12:35 gawd, slow or what!! Today I may do some hills :yes: to help that out...

What are your October plans?

Robin
10-01-2009, 12:54 PM
I started c25k! Actually, I've only done w1d1 but it was great. I also went to a gym for the first time ever and loved it. I'm excited to put all of this into my routine.

jeweliek
10-01-2009, 01:35 PM
oh.....I am horribly slow too! I want to gain speed. I am adding more weight/strength training and redoing c25k....trying to speed up in the run section and adding hills once a week....what do you think?

MugCanDoIt
10-01-2009, 01:48 PM
I cant seem to get my pace up no matter what. I saw my shadow of me running and it looked like Im just walking swiftly. I tried upping my speed but I dont think my body is ready for it. I guess it will come with time for me. But I am LOVING, loving, loving this cooler weather and it has rejuvinated my "want" to go outside and walking. BUt............with the days getting shorter, its hard to find time cause it gets dark so soon....ugh!

PinkyPie
10-01-2009, 01:57 PM
I just want to keep doing it and gradually increase my distance/ time actually running. I'm not worried about speed right now. I have to have an operation on my foot in November so I just want to run as much as possible this month, in the hopes that I won't have to start over too much once I'm healed.

sharongracepjs
10-01-2009, 01:59 PM
Yay fall! I absolutely love this weather, and will have to make sure I get in some weekend afternoon runs when the sun is up!

My pace is super slow, too. Once I conquer Operation 10K by 10-10, I think I will focus on improving speed.

WildThings
10-01-2009, 07:22 PM
Hi, I started running in June (or maybe July, I honestly don't remember at this point), and am up to running 3 miles a day. I followed the September running post almost daily, but since I check it a lot at work and can respond or post, never joined in. Since it's a new month, and I am finally running my full 3 miles, I thought I would jump in and introduce myself.

I am loving the cooler weather. Not that I mind sweating, but at least now I can keep up with wiping the sweat off my face before it runs into my eyes.

I have one main goal for October...increase my distance. I would also like to try a race sometime during the month, but that will probably depend on time and money. My plan when I started running was to be able to run a full 5K before Thanksgiving because my sisters and I do a fun 5K run/walk Thanksgiving morning every year and every year I say that I am going to run it the follow year and never have. Well, I made my goal two months early, so I need something new to focus on.

Ilene
10-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Wild Thing :welcome: to running :wave:

Mug -- your comment "I saw my shadow of me running and it looked like Im just walking swiftly" cracked me up :lol: because I felt exactly the same when I saw myself in a store window ...

iriswhispers
10-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Ack, October already!!

Today the group I run with switched up our intervals. We've been doing walk 2 minutes, run 1 or 1:10 or 1:15.... today we went with walk 1 minute, run 2. We did 3.5 miles and the first 3 were actually not bad. The last half was pretty miserable. I'm thinking this may be partly due to the fact that I forgot my water bottle and I'm allergic to something in the air, but those things may just be excuses!

My October goal is to increase the time/distance that I'm running without walk breaks (even if I'm still slow!).

loquaciousjogger
10-02-2009, 01:04 AM
Iris, I got the same goals: increasing both time/distance. It's tough...since I started doing brisk walking (5mph) and I kind of like it...though it's just as sweat-inducing as a full sprint for some reason.

alwe74
10-02-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm just starting week 4 of the c25k. So far I'm managing to finish the run but I am NOT fast at all. The other day I got passed by a power walker!!! That's OK though. I still have a lot of weight to lose.

Fat Pants
10-02-2009, 09:33 AM
Hey all! Glad to see the new thread! :)

In terms of my running goals...well my big one needs to be running 5 miles on my long days. I have a 10k in November so I really need to step it up.

I have a 5k next Saturday and for that I'd just like to beat my previous time (so a sub-34).

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Ladies, are any of you calorie counters? I'd love some input...

I'm currently hitting between 1,400-1,600 calories a day and not feeling hungry (I've focused on nutrient-dense, clean foods - lots of fruits and veggies, brown grains, lean protein...). But I'm wondering if I should increase that as my running increases??

The reason I ask is because today is my weekly weigh in, and I didn't lose at all (I may have gained one pound, there's confusion because I got a new scale :p ) Not happy!! I know plateaus happen, but I've heard so much about insufficient calorie intake stalling metabolism, so if that's the problem, I want to fix it and mark up my usual 2-pounds-lost next week!

So if any of you follow calories, I'd love to know how you plan your calories to account for more or less running...

loquaciousjogger
10-02-2009, 10:19 AM
I have a similar goal Fat Pants, but I'm thinking that since I have the time (not signed up for any race currently), I'm going to focus on speed. That way, when I start running longer distances, I don't have to make so much time out of my schedule because I'll be sooooo fast! :D

Sharon: I'm a calorie counter. I feel similarly. I attempt to get into that range, though normally I fall below it (if I'm feeling really good) or go a little above it... since I figure I can burn it off. I just try to fall within the 1700 range +-300 calories if possible. I found some thing that does calorie cyling for people who do exercise 3x and everyday... and basically if you want to lose weight (at least for my height) at a reasonable rate, you'd go for between 1700-1900 depending on how much you're working out. I run most nights (though taking the next three nights off....) and you don't want to slow your metabolism that much. Just watch what you're eating... and maybe find a calorie cycler that takes into account your stats and try to fall around that range when possible! I've definitely seen results since I started running most nights though! :)

Ilene
10-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Sharon, I calorie count and try to stay between 1300-1500 calories/day, if I go over, I gain... if you're not feeling weak or light headed, I'd say stay within your range of 1,400-1,600 for a few weeks along with your increased running and see how much you lose or not and how you feel... (IMHO, I don't believe in this eat more, lose weight... UNLESS you're a heavy HEAVY lifter or training for an Ironman....Just my 2 cents... )

Fat Pants
10-02-2009, 11:06 AM
Sharon, I also calorie count... I lost the first 50 lbs on 1200 calories a day and still running but I was SO out of shape that it just kind of flew off...then all of a sudden it stalled out for a few weeks. Now that I weigh less and am in way better shape, I have to run longer/harder to burn the same amount of calories - also the cross training has really helped get the weight moving again.

I eat ONE higher calorie day (around 1500-1600), and the rest back to 1200. Like Ilene, if I go over, I start to gain.

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
@Ilene - thanks for the input...however, I am 7 INCHES taller than you! LOL! So maybe we shouldn't be at the exact same calorie level!! Maybe I should join @loquacious in the 1700 range! :D

Keep the thoughts coming! You ladies are so smart and always have the best down-to-earth advice!

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
@SkinnyTights (I'm determined to make this name take off...) you snuck your comment in while I was typing mine!

Your and @Ilene's cycling idea makes sense - maybe if I try eating a bit higher on days I run and a bit lower on days I don't? I tend to have a higher calorie day on Fridays, my weigh-in day, because I'll usually let myself have a pizza dinner or something else special...not this week, though! :p

I am going to focus on eating really well this week since my 10K is just 8 days away (FREAKOUT!!!) and I need plenty of energy for great runs!!

I've lost my first 30 on about 1200/day but I'm running WAY more now than at the beginning and I don't want to make my metabolism think I'm starving :p

What kind of crosstraining do y'all do?

jeweliek
10-02-2009, 11:38 AM
I do not count calories, but have any of you seen this website. It explains calorie cycling and gives you a range based on criteria.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

mkroyer
10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Uggghhh...calories counting.....so confusing...... I used MRC to lose weight (IMO the most effictive weightloss plan in the world, if you can afford it!!) I was on it all summer...lost the majority of my weight in the first 2 months.....and have completely stalled for the last 2 months (which is ok, im at my "happy" weight, for NOW) You dont count calories on the program, but one week i decided just for fun, to track the calories.....I was taking in approximately 1250 - 1400 cals a day. This is RECENTLY. With how much i run....... On the MRC plan, i NEVER felt like i was overly fatigued, or didnt have the energy to do my workouts and my runs...... but i mean, come one......i HAVE to have been in starvation modet his whole time, which is the only thing that explains why i havent lsot ANY weight for over two months........ i am operating at an "average" deficit of at LEAST 600 calories, EVERYDAY. Some days my deficit is as much as 2000 calories (if i have a really long run, like 15-20 miles). I eat UBER clean. Im TERRIFIED to up my calories though. to "maintain" i need to be eating anywhere from 1900-2300 MOST days, and then somedays as much as 3000 calories. This has disaster written all over it. I dont think my body would know what to do if i gave it the calories it "needs:...

jeweliek
10-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Uggghhh...calories counting.....so confusing...... I used MRC to lose weight (IMO the most effictive weightloss plan in the world, if you can afford it!!)

I'm on MRC too.....I have checked cals but I am no where near 1400 on this. I sit between 900 and 1100....I just wanted to say that you are amazing tho. I love how much you run and reading your posts.

mkroyer
10-02-2009, 12:14 PM
SPEED VS ENDURANCE (again).... :)

You guys are posting aLOT about this stuff lately!! i LUVE YOU GUYS. Im trying to remember if i was this obseessive :) about it when i first started running......
#1) you will get naturally faster when you drop the weight. FOr those of you still quite a ways from goal (20+ pounds or more) you just have to trust me on this. it will come with NO effort the more weight you lose.

#2) FOr those of us runners who are not "technically" brand new runners, but still feel we are very slow...... You talk about should i work on endurance/distance right now, or should i focus on speed? "im going to wait till after such and such, and then focus on speed..." etc, etc......
IF youve been running long enough that your body is now used to running, even if you arent running much farther than like a 5K, or even a 10K----
You need to start focusing on both. Any training plan worth training with is going to incorporate the following---one day LONG run, one day SPEED/track workout. Do you see what im getting at here? Just like you cant hope to run a marathon overnight, you cant hope to be fast over night. It is the gradual build up, the PROGRESSION that enables you to run long. It is the same way with running faster (only faster takes ALOT longer to get than running long miles, in my opinion). I think ive said this before, but i will say it agian : doing your weekly trackworkout or speed run is like putting pennies into a piggy bank. They arent worth much now, they wont be worht much next month, but OVER TIME, if you KEEP putting your pennies in there, they will payoff!
Lets say you guys have already started putting your pennies in now, but arent reaping the benefits you thought you may have seen by now......Then it is time to look at the integrity of your speed work. Speed work makes you faster by increasing your VO2Max, and by increasing your lactic acid threshold and turnover rate. If you arent running your intervals at the right pace for you (whether too fast or too slow) and you arent doing your tempo runs at just below YOUR PERSONAL LA threshold, or maybe you are resting too long in between intervals, or not doing them at the right distance...ETC ETC, thenyou have comprimised the integrity of the speed workout, and you WONT see the benfits. Its different for everyone. :) i hope that all didnt sound as harsh as it probaby does. I am trying to help

Here is a link that i think all of you need to check out. Its a running calculator. You are going to imput your BEST time for WHATEVER distance you want (whether one mile, or a 5K, or a marathon). Based on your PERSONAL BEST at that distance, its going to not ONLY give you projected finishing times at ALL other distances (taking into account natural slowing if it a longer race, or quicker paces for shorter distances) but more importantly, it will give you a breakdown of the EXACT pace you need to be running at for all SORTS of speedworkouts. If you are doing a LONG tempo run, it will tell you YOUR exact pace to get the most out of it. if you are doing 400 meter repeat intervals, it wil tell you exaclty what YOUR pace needs to be to get the most out of it. check it evryone...its a cool website!!
http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

if you guys have any questions about how to interpret what it is telling you, just ask!! I d love to help!!!!
(SO- click the button next to the distance you want to use on it, THEN enter your best time for whatever distance you chose, THEN hit calculate)

FYI the calculator is pretty spot on for most of my times ive done so far. it DOES however, predict i can run a marathon in 3hr 39 minutes---which would qualify me for Boston by one minute. Too bad i havent been training this whole time to run it that fast!!! Im not going to change my game plan now, which is to run it at a 9 minute mile, which is what ive been practicing at for months. Next marathon i will trainin to qualify fo Boston.....

mkroyer
10-02-2009, 12:17 PM
jewelie--in stabilization im getting that many calories, BUT i also INTENTIONALLY do the "higher"calorie options and add ins, like apples for lunc vs cantelope (80 cals vs 40cals) and i always add in the 2 tsp safflower oil, things like that....... and thank you for your kind words!!! I feel like ive been such a narcississt lately!!!

Ilene
10-02-2009, 12:28 PM
What is the MRC plan? :D

loquaciousjogger
10-02-2009, 12:34 PM
I forgot you're so tall sharon! I've been trying to reign in my calories, but I'm also pretty young... so it probably would make it easier. Trying to really watch what I eat--and average around 1600-1700 per week if possible! :) I so want to lose this weight... Last week I besides a few terrible binges, I cut my calories and saw really little improvement... so, I'm pretty convinced I need over 1350 in order to function since I run most nights. That's me though. I think everyone has different needs...

MRC is a weight-loss plan. I don't know much about though..

btw thanks mkroyer for the tips about speed/endurance. I'll keep that in mind. But, for increasing endurance, is the walk/run alternative is a good option? and for how long should you alternate between the two? 5min/1min?

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend and some amazing runs. I will make up for the weekend's failures on Sunday night during a nice long jog. I'm hoping to squeeze in a hike at least since I'm going camping...

jeweliek
10-02-2009, 12:40 PM
What is the MRC plan? :D

MRC is Metabolic Research Center
the diet is very strict but very effective. You are given a menu for your weight and you have one on one meetings at a center. They will take your blood pressure and look at your food journal and help you. You need to go in 2 times a week but can come in for weigh ins and help as much as you want. They also have group classes to help you with the mental aspect of losing weight. To be perfectly honest it is very sensible way to eat....lean protein, low cal starch and lots of veggies. Only prob I have is there is only 1 serving of fruit each day due to the sugar in them.

After you loose the weight you go thru stabilization where they help you add to your diet and get back to a new cleaner, but more normal lifestyle. Then they help you for 1 year of maintenance.

mkroyer
10-02-2009, 12:47 PM
Hey all, between the two different running threads i am lost and alittle behind (WOW< this thread has really grown you guys!!!)

Who is racing this weekend???!!!

Sharon- how is "operation 10K by the10th" going? What are you running this weekend, and what does your training schedule look like for next week????? Im a geek when it comes to training plans--LOVE to hear about them! :)

SkinneyPants-- what 5k this weekend?? Race for the Cure?/ and what 10k are you doing in November??

TakingCharge what the heck is gong on with your shins?!?! :( i KNOW you have good running shoes, but do you ALSO have good INSERTS?? As in, not the ones that came with your shoes??

Loquacious if you dont have any races planned, then please share with me about your running goals!!!! Immediate future, and far away future!:)

WELCOME to all the new runners!!!!

And SOMEONE made goal weight, but who was it!!?!? ARRRGGgggggg!! (CONGRATS!!!):carrot::carrot:

And Where the heck is CAKE!>!>!>!

:dizzy:

Ilene MRC is the Metabolic Research Center. There is a separte forum on 3FC for it if you want LOTS of details.... basically the plan is developed to MAXIMIZE fat loss (and oh boy does it) while making you NOT lose muscle mass, (due to these high nutrient drinks you have to drink, 3-4 a day, which are BASICALLY just protein drinks). YOu get three square meals a day (plus protein shakes for snacks), but the foods you are allowed are VERY specific, and very specific portions and proportions of Protein to Carbs to fat. it costs big bucks, but INCREDIBLY effective. I lost 11% of my Body fat, and actually INCREASED my lean muscle mass while on it...

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 12:53 PM
Haha thanks for refocusing us, MK!

Here's the rundown on me:

Operation 10K by 10-10 is hot and strong! We've switched to road running and run a tad over 4 miles on Wednesday and today. This weekend is kind of crazy but I'm hoping for this:
Sunday - 3miles (if time permits)
Monday - 4
Tuesday - 5
Wednesday - rest
Thursday - 5.5
Friday - rest or very short run
Saturday - 10K!
Feel free to suggest any tweakings that suggest themselves to you!

In other news: I'm still stuck at halfway to goal - lost 30 lbs, 30 to go. Thinking if my calories should be adjusted upward from the neighborhood of 1400 to 1700ish.

I think iDream hit goal?!?! woot!!

Fat Pants
10-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Sharon - that's exactly what I do... a little higher on the run days and lower on the cross training days. And when I say "little" higher I mean like 100 calories or so higher... not much. When I stalled out for the few weeks it was because I was upping my mileage and so my body was holding on to every calorie for fuel! Plus like MK said you don't want to get to the point where your run quality suffers because of inefficient fuel.

MK- my 5k is next Saturday, the 10th. It's the "Panerathon 5k/10k" and Panera supplies sandwiches, pastries, bagels etc at the end of the race... I figure if I'm running towards food, that may make me run faster... LOL!!

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 01:06 PM
LOL SkinnyPants! I love it! I hope there's yummy treats at the end of my race on the 10th...like maybe a wine tasting tent ;)

mkroyer
10-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Sharon---- Ok, heres what i think you should do INSTEAD
Sun- 3 miles
Monday-- 5 miles
Tuesday 4 or 4.5 miles
Weds Off
Thursday 5.5
Friday either OFF or 2 ish miles of EASY EASY jog/walk followed by extensive stretching
Sat---enjoy race

My reasoning is having a hard day in between the easy days. instead of each one gettig harder.

TakingCharge
10-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Hey girls!! The switching of threads every month has totally thrown me off. At least this time it only took me 2 days instead of 4 to catch on...:dizzy:

Welcome to all of the new members! It's great to see so many new faces (avatars?)!

In terms of calories, I lost most of my weight on 1200-1400, but as my running increased, I went up to about 1500, and now I'm pretty much maintaining on about 1700 (on average) per day. I think the KEY is to listen to your body! Why up your calories if you feel fine? If you're starting to feel hungry or not having enough energy, then maybe add in some extra healthy snacks, but if it ain't broke, why fix it?

In terms of speed and endurance, I couldn't agree more with what Mk said about working on both with different kinds of runs throughout the week. That's been the most important factor in improving my speed over the past month and it's helped a ton!

Mk - I got orthotics made about a million years ago, but I think they're still pretty good. For the most part, I've been feeling totally fine, which is amazing because I've had shin splints forever, but I think last week of running 5x was just a little too much, considering I just increased from 3x-4x about a month ago! I'll see how I feel over the next few weeks and maybe get some new orthotics made if they don't get better. 10K next weekend!

Sharon - Have fun racing again this weekend!

Ok, off to study (uuhhhh). Have a good Friday everyone!

dancerindenver
10-02-2009, 01:47 PM
Howdy, runners! Just heading out the door for a 4.5 miler. No races here - I don't do well with running on pavement, although it sounds like the race thing is totally addictive!

Hope everyone is enjoying the cooler temps....

iDream
10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Hello ladies! It's been a busy week here hence the lack of posting. :)

MK~ I have my race tomorrow and I'm the one that made my goal. :) Thanks for taking the time to type out all of the info on speed and stuff, you're so smart when it comes to this runnin' stuff! :)

Sharon~ I count calories too. I'm shorter than you but when I was actively losing I took in anywhere from 1181-1587 (although I rarely ever ate 1587). I used the website that Jewelie posted. I started calorie cycling when I hit a small plateau at around 150. Before that I was taking in between 1200-1300 cals and it worked fine, but I wanted to change things up (I was stuck in a rut). Everybody's body is different, so what works for me might not work for you, plus you have to take into account other workouts you might be doing s well. I was doing the C25k/3 Mile runs 3X/wk, HIIT (brisk walking/running) for 30 mins 3X/wk and strength training & abs 3X/wk. Going by calorie counters can be tricky, but it can at least give you a ballpark figure to work with. For instance, on the site I used it gave me 3 #'s, one for maintenance, one to lose 1lb a wk and one for 2 lbs a wk--I split the weight loss numbers down the middle and went for it. I'll let you know how upping my calories goes for me and maintenance though--I've upped them to around 1400-1500 and I'm scared to death, but I'm pretty sure I'll survive. Next week I'm staring P90X and I've heard I'll have to up my cals even more for that...we shall see!

FatPants~ I agree with Sharon, SkinnyTights is a great name for you!! :)

Well, no run today, just my HIIT & ST'ing, but I did wear my new knee brace today! I bought an ACE neoprene one yesterday. My knee was pretty mad at me all day yesterday and I figured I should try stabilizing it a bit. I can tell you this, it felt fine after my HIIT today--although I hated wearing the dang thing. I hope I can manage wearing it for the whole race tomorrow without ripping it off of my leg in a fit of rage! :lol: It's odd, running with it on today brought back a flood of memories of when I wore my brace after dislocating my knee cap the first time...ugh, they didn't make those things very comfy back then (25 yrs ago--good gracious, did I just type 25 years?! Ack!)!!

Well ladies, hope everyone's having a great day! I need to get back to my house cleaning (fun, fun, fun!) my oldest is turning 9 and his party is on Sunday and the last thing I want to do after my race is clean! ;)

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Hmm that schedule makes a lot of sense, @MK! I'm so grateful that you're so willing to share your knowledge and experience :D

@iDream - congrats again on GOAL!! And HAPPY RUN tomorrow! I did take a look at the calorie calculator and I like the idea of splitting the balance down the middle.
@Taking - I HAVE noticed that I'm way hungrier on running days so I might design a cycle around that. And I think I'm at the point where I'm less likely to use running as a justification for eating crap - like @SkinnyTights and @MK said, I want GOOD FUEL for this RUNNING MACHINE!!

Thanks everyone else for your calorie input - sorry if I missed responding specicfically to someone's comment! I'll keep y'all posted on my experimenting...

sharongracepjs
10-02-2009, 02:57 PM
oh ps, @dancer - do you just run at the track, then? I really liked how running at the track made it easy to increase distance in clear, gradual increments, and I liked the security of not having to worry about getting home if i totally burnt out or got hurt or something. But once we got past 3 miles, the round-and-round laps got monotonous, plus I wanted to be more used to the style of a race. Do you do music or audiobooks or what?

TakingCharge
10-02-2009, 04:30 PM
Hey girls. Just a quick update: I hopped on the treadmill without a specific distance goal in mind, but I ran 6.2 miles in 59:55!! I know it wasn't outside, but it gives me hope that I can finish next week's 10K in under an hour! It's my first race so I really just wanna finish and get my little medal and fun t-shirt (it's designed by Ed Hardy..welcome to LA!), but secretly I'd love to make it in under an hour, so we'll see!

IDream - What kind of HIIT do you do? Is it with weights? Happy bday to your 9y.o.!

iDream
10-02-2009, 07:13 PM
Sharon~ thanks! Yeah, I thought the extreme weight loss numbers were a little on the low side and the other one a little high--so I figured if I hit somewhere in the middle it would be good. I wish I would have scheduled mine around my running days--actually thought about doing that, but being so close to my goal at the time I just left it as it was. Hope you like calorie cycling! It was nice to have some variety in my meals doing it that way. :)

TC~ woo hoo! That's awesome about your 6.2 miles!! Wowza!!! I'm looking forward to getting my shirt tomorrow too--and that little paper number as well! Might just frame that bad boy! ;) The HIIT I do is just brisk walking/running without weights. I had started the program a few months back (it was an 8 wk program) and when I finished that's when I decided to do the C25K. It's basically brisk walk for 5 mins, 17 intervals of brisk walking for 30 seconds and then running (currently running at around 7.0-7.2) for 30 seconds, 5 mins brisk walking (which sometimes turns into more and maybe--if I'm feeling extra spunky--a few dance moves on the treadmill to Dave Matthews while I'm cooling down ;)). Thanks for the Birthday wishes! :)

iriswhispers
10-02-2009, 09:10 PM
Ok, I'm behind already!

TC, awesome time on the 6.2 miles!

I've recently started calorie counting again. I use thedailyplate to calculate my calorie goal and then tweak as needed... right now I'm going back and forth trying to decide if I am "moderately" or "very" active... the difference being about 300 cals/day. Maybe I should look into the calorie cycling idea!

mkroyer
10-03-2009, 10:49 AM
you guys have convinced me to start calorie cycling ( little)
Im entering in "maintenance" and i think im going to take the idea of calorie cycling to gradually bring my body up to the calorie levels its needing, and help keep my metabolism active!!

mkroyer
10-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Ok, its 7 :48 am
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE RACING TODAY!!! ( or just running)

I am trying to get my butt out the door for my last (gulp) 20 miler..... Grrr...I bought an audio book and put it on my ipod. We will see if that helps bust up the boredom so that i FINISH the damn run!! I better finish it, i just had a MASSIVE breakfast to fuel it, so now i am just waiting for the food to move a little further along my digestive tract!!

mkroyer
10-03-2009, 10:54 AM
also, im back up to 137.5 pounds.........very upset...almost lost it yesterday...im pretty sure its entirely bloating from having bathroom issues the past two weeks...... but i need help guys! How do i bring the bloating down??? Ill take something over-the-counter if you know of anything that works!! OF course i already drink like a crap-ton of water~appr 120-150 ozs a day (but thats my NORMAL amount i usually drink) any suggestions??

iDream
10-03-2009, 12:39 PM
Iris~ I never know where I fall on those activity scales--I mean, what's moderate to one person might be intense to another ya know? That's part of my reasoning between splitting the difference ;)

MK~ Good luck with that audio book! I've never ever listened to one and I think if I were to attempt a long run like yours that that would really help! As for your gain, if you're thinking it's related to digestive issues and bloating you could try fiber. I mean, you mentioned you started having issues since you quit smoking, perhaps you just need to up the fiber for a bit until your body works out the kinks. I usually take acidophilus every other day (a probiotic) and eat fiber bars daily as a snack--that's helped to keep things on an even keel for me. Besides that, since you're drinking more than enough water, I don't have any other suggestions. As odd as it sounds, you could try decreasing the amount of water you're drinking to 64 oz or so, sometimes if I drink too much (and I often do) I end up retaining a bit.

Well girls! I am no longer a 5K Virgin!! :lol: :carrot: I did it! I ended up getting there super early because I hadn't picked up my registration packet yet and was worried there'd be tons of people there--there weren't. So, I ended up sitting in my car for a bit and then headed inside to get warm (it was chilly and windy this morning--brrr!). Met my ils and hung out with them until the race started. I have no idea what place I took in my age group, but I do know I ran that bad boy in 30:40!!! My best time yet and there were HILLS!!! So I honestly don't care where I placed, I'm just thrilled I didn't walk, barf or quit. :lol:

Anyway, it was fun and I definitely see more 5Ks in my future! There's even a mini coming up in May...hmm...I wonder if I could manage that?

Well ladies, thanks for all the wonderful advice, support and kind words! I really appreciate it!!! To everyone else racing today--Good Luck!!!! :)

dancerindenver
10-03-2009, 02:02 PM
idream - wooohooo! congrats on your race -that's great!
mk - I'd try maybe that activia yogurt that's supposed to help and something like prunes, raisin brain or fiber supplements (I think a lot of people have luck with metamucil but I would think it would be hard to drink). Good luck!
Off to run again in this great crisp fall weather...

TakingCharge
10-03-2009, 02:10 PM
IDream - CONGRATS!! Not only did you not "walk, quit or barf" (hahaha), but you finished with a freakin awesome time! I see many great races in your future!

Mk - I agree with all the advice about fiber and activia. Or you can try the really low dose laxatives. That'll definitely get things moving and make you feel better! Hope your 20miler went well!!

Dancer - Don't you just love the fall weather? I love a little bit of a breeze while running. It's just the best experience!

No run for me today. I'm pretty sore from my 6 miles yesterday! Hope everyone's having a great Saturday!

iriswhispers
10-03-2009, 08:01 PM
iDream, congrats on your first 5k and your awesome time! Not barfing is also always a plus :D

MK, my mom swears by black licorice when she is "blocked up." Also I find that if you're not used to the caffeine that can do it... but I drink it so much it doesn't have much of an effect anymore (maybe it'd affect me if I stopped)!

Dancer, I'm longing for the crisp fall weather you mention! Hopefully this is my last fall in the desert, it's not suiting me so well.

I have 6 miles to do, preferably today, but I was outside all morning and my allergies are bothering me, so I'm debating pushing that back till tomorrow... probably I should just DO IT NOW!

mkroyer
10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
Idream---BIG HUGE FAT CONGRATS ON YOUR 5K!!1 30:40 is a FANTASTIC time!! Thats just UNDER a 10 min avg--AND with all those hills!! I bet it was this chilly that got you moving, huh??? How did you feel throughout the race? Did you feel like you paced yourself well?? that you went out too fast? too slow??

mkroyer
10-04-2009, 11:03 AM
Marathon is 2 weeks from today...:carrot::dizzy::?::devil::o:(:D (obviously im very confused as to how that makes me feel) :)

Ok, yesterdays run was just about as wonderfully fantastically relaxing, easy, incredible and perfect as a 20 miler can possibly be!!!! It was actually EASY, and AWESOME> I listened to that audio book i downloaded onto my ipod, and frequently glanced down at my garmin to make sure i was running at approx a 9 minute and just put myself on cruise control! It was chilly, and sunny and beautiful out!! Took my 3 hours and 7 minutes (needs to be 3 hrs even if i want to break 4 hours at my marathon) but thats ok. i wasnt TRYING to push myself. Im starting to REALLY think maybe i was built for endurance you guys. I was barely sweating, my HR never got very high, i dont even FEEL like i just ran 20 miles!! I am elated. you know what i think is the reason for how easy this was?? 2 things...#1 of course, the QUITTING SMOKING. Duh, no brainer.
but #2, those extreme damn 12 mil lactic acid threshold runs i do twice a week. I am a FIRM believer now in their power. Ive raised my threshold,( or increased the pace that it starts to accumulate at) to such an extent, that i can easily run 20 miles at a 9 minute mile with NO LACTIC acid buildup. My legs felt as fresh at mile 17 as at mile 6. This marathon is in the bag!!

on a sadder, more frustrating note....i BINGED last night. Now, my def of binge and anothers is different. But we went to a afternoon party thing, and i did good avoiding the chips and dip for a while, and then just one taste led to another taste of some thing else, etc etc, ended in me eating an entire cupcake covered in frosting!! (i dont DO sugar) oh, and then when we got home i found the opened and half empty jar of frosting USED by my BF to make the cupcakes, so i ate two spoonfuls of just FROSTING! UGGHHHHH>...oh, and THEN the peanut butter...peanut butter, my love, my nemesis..... i CAN NOT rationalize it with, "oh well, you just ran 20 miles, its ok" thats how i got fat in the first place!! :) Luv you guys!! :)

sharongracepjs
10-04-2009, 08:27 PM
iDream - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! Your time knocked my socks off when I read it. Incredible! I'm so glad you had fun and did so well!

MK - 2 weeks!!! SO exciting!! It must feel great to have such a fab 20-mile run under your belt. I will definitely have to find out more from you about this lactic acid training if I ever start going for serious distance running. And on the binge note...yeeeeeaaahhhh it's so hard, once that junk-food door sneaks open, to slam it back closed. :p I have to keep reminding myself that my body is a machine and it deserves A-1 fuel. Sure, I could burn off Doritoes and hot dogs (which I may have had yesterday) or I could burn fruits and veggies, clean grains and lean protein and be running sleek and smooth! What I tell myself and what I listen to are two very different things, however :p

Didn't get any running in this weekend, as I feared might be the case. :p But yesterday I did a 6-Mile Walk Against Homelessness downtown, so I'm telling myself that counts for some cross-training :D Tomorrow morning, 5 miles, no whining, no quitting!!

Ilene
10-04-2009, 08:58 PM
iDream :bravo: on the great race!!

MK -- Sorry to hear of your binge, I know how if feels when you get the "taste" and then it snowballs :hug:

Ran this morning finally, I hadn't run since Wednesday...5k, 39 mins... man I am so slowww :lol:

momof5k
10-04-2009, 11:24 PM
Ran this morning finally, I hadn't run since Wednesday...5k, 39 mins... man I am so slowww :lol:

Ilene: This is my dream time now :lol: I SO want to break that stupid 40 minute mark :( I haven't run since Wednesday either. I did a 5K walk for breast cancer today though, with a friend that is battling.

I am going to sign up for my first actual 5k. I think I am going to do a "resolution run" on January 1st. I will definitely need some winter running advice before then as it is usually well below zero here that time of year.

TakingCharge
10-04-2009, 11:38 PM
Mk - Congrats on the awesome 20 mile run! That must've felt so wonderful. I can't wait to hear all about your marathon! You're gonna rock it! Sorry about the binge. I unfortunately totally understand and have done the same thing for a few days now and feel GROSS, so it's back to the basics...gum, tea, protein, veggies, fruit, plan plan plan! You'll be totally fine so don't beat yourself up. Just get back on track. You need the best fuel possible to get ready for your marathon!

Sharon - A 6 mile walk definitely counts for something! But get out there and run your 5 miler tomorrow...no excuses! :)

Ilene - Hey, at least you're out there running. That's what matters! Way to go!

Mom - I love the idea of a resolution run. I totally wanna do that!

Since I did my long run on Friday, I did a short 3 miler today. It was CRAPPY. Every minute was miserable and I couldn't wait to get home. Happens to the best of us, right? The outer side of my left lower leg is really really sore, not sure what the deal is with that. So I may try to cut down a little this week before the 10K, but I can't decided if I should run 3 days of shorter distances or 2 days or longer distances (ie 4 miles on Tue/Thur and then Sunday 10K or 3 miles on Tue/Thur/Fri). Any thoughts?

Back to grind tomorrow...booo...Have a good week everyone!

mkroyer
10-05-2009, 09:20 AM
Takingcharge--how LOW is the pain on your outer lower left leg? IS the 10K THIS weekend?? HOW EXCITING!!
do you feel like you NEED to run more 4 milers to be e ready for it?? or will you be ok with only a couple more 3 milers??

Sharon- i agree that a 6 mile walk counts as exercise!!! Being runners, we are silly because we compare and equate every other thing to running! If it doesnt make us sweat as much as running, its not exercise! if our HR doesnt get up as high, its not exercise!! If its not RUNNING, it just doesnt FEEL like exercise!!!

ILENE- if you are down becuz you run "slow" then try to think of it like this--- If you were a FAST runner you would have only got like 20-25 minutes of exercise in yesterday! Instead you got DOUBLE that amount of exercise in, and burned even more calories!! :) :)
and before you all start chiming in that if you run faster you burn more calories, blah blah blah.....it is my opinion, based SOLEY on my own experience, that as i have gotten faster (faster in the "my base pace/comfy pace is faster sense) my body has to work equally as hard to run fast as it did to run slow, IF NOT LESS HARD now. Seriously. Before when i was running 10Ks in approx 1 hour i would burn about 600 calories (so about 100 calories per 10 MINUTES, not per mile, like they say). Now i run a 10K in about 45 minutes, and im LUCKY to burn between 400 and 450 calories!! That pretty much the ONLY reason you guys never hear about me running only 3 miles or doing 5ks!! I just dont burn enough calories doing them, so i dont run them!!

mkroyer
10-05-2009, 09:25 AM
on a more interesting a funner note...my 8 year old puked this morning!!! Im debating leaving her hanging over the toilet while i run out and buy those surgical/germ prevention mask thingies (think SARS in china!) i CANNOT, i repeat CANNOT GET SICK WITH MY MARATHON LESS THAN 2 WEEKS OUT!! That would be, devastating, to say the least. Nuthin like a good flu/upper respiratory thingy to help me with my marathon...!!! i would SERIOUSLY dump her at school and make it their problem, but they would only make me come get her right away, and then yell at me for being a bad parent..... She doesnt have a fever though, so thats real good news.....

Ilene
10-05-2009, 09:38 AM
MK -- Oh Oh!! Get the masks an wash, wash, wash your hands.... Thanks for the encouraging words on my slowness :lol: ... I do look at the extra time it takes me as extra calories burned...

sharongracepjs
10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Yikes, MK! You need a has-mat suit!

Soooooooo we headed out and had an awesome 5 mile run this morning...except then when I was logging it with gmap, it turns out it was actually 4.73 :( I screwed up in calculating which streets to take and when to turn :( So that's kind of a bummer. But we felt great and were talking at the end that we could've run a bit farther if we HAD to, like if it were race day or if we had a longer run scheduled. Plus we won the mental game of running a mile farther than before. So I'm kind of sad that I can't have 5-mile bragging rights yet, but maybe tomorrow!

Fat Pants
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
Hey ladies...you all have been busy!!

iDream - CONGRATS on the 5k!! That's a FANTASTIC time...you should be very proud of yourself!! :D

MK- glad the 20 miler went well... I love runs like that, just putting yourself on auto pilot and going...those are the best!

sharon - Every mileage increase is something to be celebrated! :D

--------------------
Well... I'm not really in the mood for Monday. At all. I didn't run all weekend, just ran out of time. I feel like I barely had a weekend! Anyway, today WILL be 5 miles, I don't care how bad the wind is, I will not wimp out! My 5k is on Saturday, definitely not as nervous about this one as I was my first. I think it should be a pretty good race.

iDream
10-05-2009, 11:39 AM
Morning ladies!

Thanks everyone for the congrats! I tell ya, I was feeling those hills yesterday in my hips and butt! :lol: But it was a good feeling. :)

Dancer~ hope you had a great run! I'm loving the cooler weather for sure!

TC~ aww, thanks! I'm so new at this running thing that I have no idea what a good time is--I was getting passed left and right so I knew I wasn't breaking any records :lol:, but I just kept on truckin'. I kinda wanted to try to sprint the last little bit--but figured that I'd probably fall on my face if I tried--because that's the kind of goofy thing that would happen to me. ;) Sorry to hear you had a crappy run! Sorry I don't have any advice for you on training this week...I hope whatever you do that your leg feels better asap! I can't wait to hear about your 10K!!! :carrot:

Iris~ soooo, did you get your 6 miles in yesterday? :)

MK~ thanks so much! I felt pretty good--it helped not knowing the course and when it ended kwim? When I run in my subdivision I start to peter out about 2/3 in and I'm guessing it's just mental because I feel fine. I started of kind of goofy though. Hubby bought me a new iPod Shuffle (dang those things are teensy!) and like a total dork I hadn't turned it on when the race started! So I spent the first couple of minutes running wonky and fiddling with my headphones/iPod--plus I did kind of start off faster than usual so I had to find my usual pace once I finally got the music on. :lol: Note to self: Turn iPod on BEFORE the race begins next time! ;) Congrats on your wonderful run!!! Sounds like you did awesome! And as for your binge--hun, trust me when I say I topped your binge a million times over this weekend! Don't sweat it, just move on and know that it's a new day! I second the hazmat jumper! Hand sanitizer, boiling water, masks, plastic bubbles--do whatever it is that you have to do to stay healthy!!!!!!! And big hugs to your dd, hope she's feeling better soon!

Sharon~ man, that stinks that your calculations were off--but you got out there and RAN! That's all that counts! You'll nail that 5 miles tomorrow!!! :carrot:

Ilene~ WTG on the run!! I bet it felt good to get back out there! :)

momof5K~ Oh you're going to love your first 5K! It feels great! I gotta say, I don't envy you training outside in Winter, but I'm sure you'll get tons of great advice from these ladies--looks like there's tons of Winter runners here! I'm still waffling on bringing it inside when the cold weather hits or just sucking it up and braving the snow and ice! Brrrr!

Ladies, I was horrible this weekend! I ate so Off Plan that I don't think 'Off Plan' quite covers it! We celebrated my ds' birthday twice and I just went completely off the deep end! I have the worst food hangover EVER! I shudder to think how I'd feel if I had drank alcohol on top of it! :eek:

With that said, I did manage to get my workout in this morning and will be doing my HIIT tonight come heck or high water! ;)

I'm switching up my running routine starting this week--I'll be running at night now instead of in the morning. I starting P90X today and since that workout is an hour long I need to be able to get it in before the kids wake up so I can finish the whole thing without interruption. So, after hubby gets home I'll hit the road and try to get my 3 miles in before the kids' bedtime. Wish me luck!

Well girls, I'm off--I need to get some more water and flush all of this crap out of my system. Groan...it sooo wasn't worth this misery!!!

Oh, I almost forgot--here's photographic proof that I earned my 5K stripes! :lol: And proof that my form definitely needs some work!!! ;)
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2431/3982524606_22dbd2555a_m.jpg

iDream
10-05-2009, 11:40 AM
FatPants~ You snuck in on me! :) Sorry to hear your weekend went by too fast! I hate that!!! Thanks so much for the kind words. :) Hope you have a great run and that you don't have to battle any wind today!!!

sharongracepjs
10-05-2009, 12:19 PM
iDream - LOOKING GOOD! Love that pink top - and you're smiling! Your energy and enthusiasm jump right out of that pic!

Here's an article a college buddy posted on Facebook about a guy he knows who just won a marathon in Minnesota - thought y'all might find it interesting, especially our very own soon-to-be marathoner, MK! Jason Hartmann weathered what could have been a disastrous drop of a energy drink bottle to win his first marathon. (http://www.startribune.com/local/63485067.html?page=1&c=y)

loquaciousjogger
10-05-2009, 12:22 PM
Starting to get back on track tomorrow... I just got through 1/3 major tests I have in the next two days. I don't even have time to run... Ugh! :( But, I'm so going tomorrow!

Mkroyer: I might be doing a 5K on New Years Eve, but I'm going to look into a 10K around January in my area so I can slowly work up to that and get a very good time. :) Does that seem like too slow progress in terms of increasing endurance/speed? I feel like I should amp it up to be sooner... but, I'm not sure it's a good idea. I already pulled my hamstring this summer and I'm terrified of getting another injury by doing too much!

TakingCharge
10-05-2009, 12:33 PM
Mk - The pain is right along the outer side of my shin bone. I think it's the anterior tibialis muscle (just looked in my anatomy book, haha), but it doesn't feel like regular shin splints, which for me are normally along the inner side of my shin. I do think that's what it is though, just overuse, but it's only been bad when I ran outside both times, not at all on the treadmill. I don't really need more 4 milers because I'm pretty ready to run 6 at this point, but like you were saying, 3 miles just doesn't feel like I'm burning enough calories! I may do a few runs on the treadmill and then just take a long walk outside on saturday or something. I can't believe you have an 8 year old and still manage all those runs! You are amazing! And YES, please keep yourself healthy!

Sharon - 4.73 is an awesome distance!! I would say that deserves some bragging rights! Good luck on your 5!

FatPants - Sorry to hear you had such a busy weekend. Hope you get in a great run today!

IDream - You look GREAT! So athletic, but I love the girly pink touch. And that sucks about the weekend binge. When I first decided to maintain (3 months ago now!), I had a lot of trouble regulating my calorie intake and feeling so comfortable with my weight that I would eat way more than I needed to because I felt like I could now. But that's just not how it works. I've managed to maintain within 2-3 pounds, even with really bad eating days, but I feel miserable after those days. It's exactly like a hangover! I'm sluggish, in a bad mood, and know that I did something bad for my body. It happens to everyone and I'm sorry to say will no doubt happen again, but it's how you deal with it that's the key. Just learn from it, move on, and get back to treating your body right!

In other workout news, I signed up for boot camp!! It starts 10/19 and I can't wait. Is that weird? Haha. After my 10K, I'm officially training for my half in February, so I'll for sure be running 4x/week, then maybe 5 as I get closer to the race, but I think the hardcore strength training (not my wimpy 20 minutes at my apartment gym) will really help with my running and should be fun. I love trying out new workouts!

iriswhispers
10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Idream, great picture!

TC, good luck with the boot camp - I'm sure it will be intense!

loquacious, I wish you the best on your exams. I should be getting two back from last week and of course I'm a little nervous.

Also, proud to report that i DID run my 6 miles this weekend!! I alternated running/walking with every other song on my ipod. I don't have an official time, but based on when I left and returned to the house (drove to the park to run) I'm estimating about 1.5 hours.

mkroyer
10-05-2009, 12:58 PM
iDream--you are HOT!!! wow :) Congrats on meeting and PASSING your goal!!! You look like a lean mean running machine!! You have the long legged look of a runner!! I have these short fat tree trucks for legs....if i want to run fast i REALLY have to get those short leggers movin'!!

TAKINGCHARGE--sounds like you are on top of the leg pain issue, but i do have one more quick question....how old are your shoes?? Sometimes i start getting tendon pains when its time to replace them, even if they *should* have more miles in em.....not that you should replace your shoes 5 days out from your big race...... then again, if you need to go ahead and do it NOW and make sure you run in em once or twice before the race....just a suggestion any how..... :)

Loquacious-- i think between now and january you could make significant improvements in both endurance and speed!!! But racing is FUN!! why wait so long?? Just do it, its not like youre going to go out and win either way, right?? And racing takes practice too......
In anycase, if you are bent on waiting till January, make sure you are increasing the distance you run each week or two during one run, your *long* run. Even if your longest run right now is only 2 miles, every couple of weeks try to increase that distance on just ONE of your weekly runs, but not by much, maybe a quarter mile at most (only because you have so much time till January). Then ONE TIME a week, devote your run to *Speed Work*. But ONLY ONCE a week. There are a gazillion different varities of speed work and they all reap different benefits, but for now if i were you i would keep it simple and do intervals. 1/4 mile running at your comfy pace, and 1/4 mile running HARD for YOU, but NOT A SPRINT. you WANT to be uncomfortable, but you shouldnt be dying, and you should be able to finish the interval. Do 4 to 8 repeats, with a couple minutes walking or light jogging in between. As you get better, you can increase the distance of your interval ( up to a half mile, or more) or you can increase the SPEED you are runnign at, OR You can increase how many times you repeat it.......

Dont expect HUGE improvements in your pace..im not entirely sure what you are visualizing being able to run a 10K in....any idea what you are thinking??? and what is your pace now?? Just curious if your goals are realistic or not (in a helpful way, coming from an experienced(?) runner)

loquaciousjogger
10-06-2009, 01:03 AM
mkroyer: I really do like racing... but I'm kind of content going on the treadmill. It's my chill space and I got time on my side... I'm definitely going to take your advice though about increasing distance/speed. I did a 5K two weeks ago and finished in 29:44. But, I'm hoping by the 10K, I can do a 8.5 min/9 mile... which doesn't seem unreasonable, though I trust you on this to tell me whether it is. I'm working towards getting faster now since I don't have THAT much time and if I could pack more miles in during my runs, that would be awesome. :)

Ilene
10-06-2009, 09:19 AM
iDream -- Great pic, you look like an athlete!!

sharongracepjs
10-06-2009, 10:42 AM
ok, now more than ever I support the concept of a recovery day. We planned on 4 miles this morning and I was hoping to feel awesome and tack on another mile to hit the number 5 for real. Ha. Haha. I forgot that I've only been running 4 miles for a week, after a couple months of running 2 miles, and I've almost never run two days in a row!

After the first mile or so, my legs felt like two sad walruses that were kidnapped and put in the circus. They did NOT like what I was making them do - not sore or painful, just heavy and tired and DEAD! But I muscled through!! Meanwhile Maggie was flitting ahead of me like a butterfly...

MK- thanks for going through some info on speed training again. We're thinking of signing up for an Oct. 25 5K and focusing on improving our speed for the two weeks after the 10K.

mkroyer
10-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Loquacious--a 9 minute mile is DEFINITELY a reasonable goal!!!! SOunds like you are running just under a 10 minute mile now (for a 5k, at least) just remember, if you want to run fast, you have to practice running fast!!
Right now, based on your previous 5K time, you should be able to run a 10k in approx 1:01. if you want to run a 10K in a 9 minute mile, your finishing time will be approx 55 minutes (give or take), which means you need to be able to run a 5K in 26:50 minutes!! I hope this gives you a good yardstick to measure yourself against as you are training!! The numbers i am giving you account for the fact that a 10k is twice as long and that you naturally will run it SLIGHTLY slower than a 5K. As you are training, aim to get your 5K under 27 minutes over the course of the next couple months!

mkroyer
10-06-2009, 11:21 AM
Sharon- i had one of those runs today too!! My legs werent sore, they just had NO GO. It was a SUCKFEST! Grrrrr...... Humbling, to say the least. :)

dancerindenver
10-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Howdy, runners!
I ran in the cold windy rain yesterday evening - brrr!! But it made the bubblebath afterwards all the better.

fatpants - did you do your 5 miles? I'm thinking about giving that distance another try today as most of my runs lately have been around 4 and a half.

tc- hope the shins are feeling okay - shinsplints are such a bummer.

idream - thanks for posting your race pic - that's so fun to see and you look wonderful.

mk - sorry about the bummer run today. Must have been chilly based on the frost I see out the window.

Fat Pants
10-06-2009, 11:55 AM
Howdy, runners!
I ran in the cold windy rain yesterday evening - brrr!! But it made the bubblebath afterwards all the better.

fatpants - did you do your 5 miles? I'm thinking about giving that distance another try today as most of my runs lately have been around 4 and a half.

I did not :o I did get in 3.5 miles before it got super windy and started to rain, but Wednesday is supposed to be FABULOUS (68, no wind!!). I tried out my tights yesterday. If you're still on the fence, definitely get some! They kept me SO warm! I wore them under some regular track pants and felt pretty warm the whole time until the very end. I'm still in need of a thermal/moisture wicking long sleeved shirt though... I've got the jacket but that and a t-shirt weren't enough.

So I found out my race on Saturday will be officially timed. I'm pretty excited. I was hoping to use this one to qualify for a wave in the BolderBoulder but I just looked at the very LAST qualifying wave for the BB 2010 and I would have to shave 5 whole minutes off of my latest 5k time in order to be in that wave! :rofl: so not going to happen, but I'm excited to have an official time nonetheless. This will apparently be a very fast and flat route on pavement. I'm starting to get very excited!

Fat Pants
10-06-2009, 11:59 AM
OH!!! I forgot to post on Monday... this weekend I bought a pair of size 10 jeans :carrot: I can't even remember the last time I wore a size 10, ya know?! So now I feel like I can officially say I fit into my "skinny jeans." :lol:

momof5k
10-06-2009, 12:13 PM
:woohoo: Skinny Jeans!! :carrot: :carrot:

iDream
10-06-2009, 02:08 PM
Afternoon ladies!!

Aww, thanks for all the kind words! An 'athelete' WOW! I don't know if I've ever been called that before--even when I was! :lol: I've been hunting for a light pink top for ages! Seems like every time I find one it's in the wrong size or crazy expensive. I got that one at Target (pants too). :D

Sharon~ great article!! Sorry you had a sucky run today--I'm with ya though, recovery days are a must for me! I'm pretty sure if I tried to run every day that I'd fall flat on my face! :lol: WTG getting out there and doing it though!

MK~ thanks so much--hubby always calls me short so I'm going to have to tell him that someone thinks my legs are long! :lol: Sorry about your run today--but I'm sure your next one will ROCK!

Iris~ Thanks and congrats on the 6 miles! :carrot:

Dancer~ Brrrrr!!!! Oh but you got to have a bubble bath afterwards? Ahhh, that sounds heavenly!! Great job getting out there and braving the elements!

SkinnyJeans~ bummer about your run getting cut short! Glad to hear the tights did their job! Still haven't decided on how long I'm running outside, but if I do decide to brave it--they'll be on my list! :) Congrats on the size 10's!!! :woohoo:

Well, feeling a bit better today, although I think that the cold I fended off last week is trying to get me again. Bah!
So last night was my first night run--it went well! I ran it in about the same time as the 5K so I was happy. However, I did get my first side stitch--a mild one, but there none the less. I'm guessing it was due to the fact that I ate a good size dinner a little over an hour before my run. I think next time that I'll have a much lighter dinner and then have a snack after I get back. Trouble is, I'm leaving for my run after I put my girls to bed and that's 7:30-7:45...I really don't want to eat too late kwim? Oh well, I'll work it out.

In other news, I did day 2 of P90X today--Plyometrics--wowza! Talk about a workout!! And I am nice and sore from yesterday's chest, back and abs workouts--ouchie!! Ah, but it's all good. :)

Still working to get my weekend weight off of me and felt it necessary to change my ticker--I felt like I was lying leaving it where it was. I hope to see the rest of this weight leave me in the next few days--it's mostly water--dang salty snacks!!!!

Hope everyone is having a great day!!

sharongracepjs
10-06-2009, 02:52 PM
SkinnyJeans!!! Congrats on the 10s!!!! What a great feeling!!!!

iDream - I had a stitch on a run the other day. Not fun. Hope the meal switch prevents it for you next time!

dancerindenver
10-06-2009, 05:37 PM
fatpants - woohoo on the size 10s - that must feel great!!!
idream - don't you hate a sideache? I just figured out what kwim means and am all pleased with myself ;)
Still haven't bought new running tights but I think I may have some old ones that I used to use for cross-country back when I was about this size - will check them out.

sharongracepjs
10-06-2009, 06:22 PM
dancer - share the wealth!! kwim = ???

mkroyer
10-06-2009, 06:47 PM
sharon---"Know What I Mean??"

sharongracepjs
10-07-2009, 09:57 AM
OH!!! hahhahaha how hilarious. I DIDN'T know :D Thanks, mk!

iDream
10-07-2009, 10:09 AM
:lol: It took me forever to figure out what kwim meant! I still don't know what 'XD' means and there's a girl that's in one of my groups here that uses it a lot and I feel silly asking her what it means. She's a young whipper snapper too so it's probably some teen slang thing that I'm too old to know about. ;)

Dancer~ hope the old tights work out for ya!! :)

Well ladies, I'm officially not running my 3 miles today. I woke up with a doozy of a cold and if I do end up feeling better I'm going to do my P90X workout and running will have to be sidelined. :( I just don't see myself feeling good at the end of the day to do both ya know? Ugh...and I'm so irked about it too! It is really bugging me that I'm having to take the day off from exercise (possibly) because of a dang cold!!! :mad:

Hope everyone has a great day!

Sylvied
10-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Hi all,

It sounds like everyone's doing great. I hope your cold goes away fast iDream.

Well I'm feeling a bit back on track. I got out and did 4 km this morning. I think I've found my pace again. Before, I was trying to run too fast and I got my breathing all messed up. Hyperventilation is no fun.

I think I'm going to stick to 4 km this week so I can get this pace down and creep back up to five next week.

mkroyer
10-07-2009, 11:24 AM
So, no run for me :( i am OFFICIALLY in my taper....i only get to run about 28 miles this week, so i went and did a spinning class this am. Next week is 12-15 miles (EEK!) and then marathon....

On a lighter note-- Loveland Ski area opened today--beat our Arapahoe Basin for bragging rights. SO EARLY this year. We are supposed to get snow here in Denver tomorrow, and then again on Saturday!!!
How many of my fellow runners out there ski or snowboard?? SkinneyPants do you?? How bout you DancerinDenver??
I have a BLISTERING long run planned for Saturday---6 miles!!! :)
I REALLY need to be uber vigilent about what im eating for the next two weeks too..... Cant be eating as much..no little slip ups--- dont have the running mileage to make up the calories

dancerindenver
10-07-2009, 03:01 PM
mk - I'm mainly a cross-country skiing and snowshoes girl - both major calorie burners by the way, so I'm hoping to replace my weekend hikes with weekend showshoeing as the weather changes. And I'm hoping to get in a good run before the weather changes tomorrow - brr!

idream - I think XD is a smilie where the X are the eyes and the D is a big smile. Of course, that may be wrong if she's using it in some other context. Your 'kwim' had me baffled for a bit as 'quim' is an archaic term for a woman's private parts and I just couldn't see how that was relevant to the sentence ;)

Happy running, all!

Fat Pants
10-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Yeah, I haven't skied in about um, 10 years? LOL I would love to pick up snowboarding though. I have some ski enthusiasts in my office that are probably going to head up to Loveland this weekend. Crazy!

It's supposed to snow on Saturday for my 5k. Glad I have those tights now! But for today, I am going to enjoy running in the NON-windy 67 degree weather!

dancerindenver
10-07-2009, 07:28 PM
fatpants - yikes! A snowy 5k sounds like a challenge.

Speaking of snowy conditions, do you all find yaktraks (sp?) helpful? I got a pair for winter walks a few years ago and should probably dig them up. The idea of slipping on ice is so not appealing.

iDream
10-07-2009, 10:29 PM
Heading to bed but couldn't go to sleep without sharing:

I ran 3 miles this afternoon! :carrot: I felt better as the day went on and I actually ended up getting all my workouts in. :) Had to run it on the treadmill though :yawn: and ended up eating dinner super late--I'm going to have keep working on my routine, that's just not going to work.

Anyway, hope everyone had a great day! Night all!

iriswhispers
10-08-2009, 01:57 AM
yaktracks? Please elaborate! Doesn't sound like something I will need in AZ but next year when I'm back east (which I hopefully will be) I may want to invest!

I did 4 miles today and for some reason really struggled with it. It was intervals of 2 min run/1 min walk, and overall we averaged about a 12 min mile... decent but doesn't seem like it should have been as strenuous as it felt!

sharongracepjs
10-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Ladies...are you ready for this? We ran...6 miles this morning. !!!! SIX MILES!!! I'm so pumped! It was ****, but very do-able ****, if you know what I mean...This is our last run before our 10K on Saturday and we are SO READY!!!

Dream - congrats on the 3 mile run! Feeling better?
Iris - yay for heading back east! It's the only place to be ;)

Thighs Be Gone
10-08-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey there Ladies. I don't post often but yes, still running almost daily. I am doing between 3-4 miles now. Every now and again (about once a week) I will venture between 5-6. Love the weather this time of year for working out. It is so much easier when it's not 100 degrees outside--quite literally.

Weight was up on Monday to 134.5 and I wasn't suprised. I am back to daily weighing and being very concious of my food choices. Today it is 132.5.

Thighs Be Gone
10-08-2009, 10:21 AM
I tried out my tights yesterday. If you're still on the fence, definitely get some! They kept me SO warm! I wore them under some regular track pants and felt pretty warm the whole time until the very end.
!

Can you please tell me what you bought? I ran all last winter (daily in the sleet, ice, whatever) and nearly froze no matter what I tried. If I ever was warm enough, my gear felt way too bulky during my run.

ETA: Another question ladies!

When I run early morning in the winter I am always worried about slipping. Although it doesn't freeze every day where I am or anything, sprinkler systems that go off during the night often leave a fine sheet of ice on sidewalks. In the dark, it makes it pretty dangerous. Any ideas on what I can do to prevent slipping?

iDream
10-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Iris~ sorry to hear your run wasn't the best yesterday. Like the ladies told me, some runs are just going to be that way. Here's hoping the next one is fantastic!!

Sharon~ :woohoo: WTG hun!!! 6 miles--SIX MILES!!! That's awesome!!! Feeling much better today, thanks for asking :)

TBG~ I hear ya, this weather is heavenly to be out running in! :) I can't imagine running in 100 degree weather--I hate the heat and I'm a big baby! :lol:

Not much to report here, just nursing my sore muscles from all the P90X fun! :D No run for me today, just HIIT. Hope everyone has a great day!!! :)

Fat Pants
10-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Can you please tell me what you bought? I ran all last winter (daily in the sleet, ice, whatever) and nearly froze no matter what I tried. If I ever was warm enough, my gear felt way too bulky during my run.

Yep! I got these: http://cgi.ebay.com/New-60-NIKE-Womens-Mp3-Pocket-Running-Tights-BLACK-M_W0QQitemZ130334176470QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Women _s_Athletic_Apparel?hash=item1e5885b4d6

They are warm and comfortable and surprisingly add some stability (or maybe I just feel like a real runner with the tights? lol). The Dri-fit stuff is great for keeping the moisture off so you have another layer of warmth. I've been running with those plus a dri-fit jacket, and I stay pretty toasty, but not over heated.

mkroyer
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
SHARON--big FAT CONGRATS!!! WTG!! :) You did it, and you are gonna rock your 10k!!! Now, for your NEXT running goal, how bout you try to allow more than 2 weeks to train for it? ;)
BTW, i absolutely love your "dive right in and go for it!" attitude!!! It has and will continue to serve you very well!

Iris-we all have days we struggle with waht *should* be an *easy* run!! Dont sweat it....your next run will go better!! Keep up the great work! :)

mkroyer
10-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Marathon COuntdown: 9 Days, 22 hrs 45 minutes....
Todays Taper Workout-- TREADMILL-- BOO :( Its snowing/raining here. not TOO bad, i def could have braved it at the track, but i was feeling like a baby.
So, did my track Workout on the treadmill
6 X 800 meters, 1 X 1200 meters. 400 meters recovery jog in between each interval.

Interval Speeds (in Min/mile) 7:19; 7:19, 7:03; 7:03; 6:48; 6:32 1200
meter at 7:03
Total Distance 6.40 miles.
This s**t is getting too damn easy guys (cardiovascularly speaking). I cant get my HR up, or my breathing heavy. Im going to have to start running my fast intervals at a decent incline to increase the intensity i think. Dont get me wrong, i LIKE that its easy, but i also DISLIKE the fact that i dont FEEL like im getting as good of a workout as i used to get. Im going to start upping the intensities after my marathon.....dont wanna STOP progressing forward!!

dancerindenver
10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
iris - yaktrax are stretchy things that you stick on the bottom of your running shoes that add traction - check out http://www.yaktrax.com/

They might be useful for you, Thighs be gone, if that ice gets thick. You are one of my weight loss heroes, by the way - your before and after photos made me feel it was possible when I was getting started.

sharon - woohoo on six miles! You rock, girl!!

Heading out to run in the cold drizzle - brr.

sharongracepjs
10-08-2009, 12:06 PM
Thanks everyone!! I'm pretty proud of myself!

MK - hmmm, see I was thinking of scheduling a half marathon for Halloween and then running a marathon on Thanksgiving - no good? ;) JK! Yes, it is pretty crazy that we trained for this is such a short amount of time - truth be told, I didn't really think we could do it! I'm pretty amazed! It makes me feel really powerful and confident, though, about any running goals I want to set in the future - and actually, any goals in any part of life! After all, in July, I was just walking around my neighborhood every night and thought the idea of me running was crazy! Now I can run for miles!!!

Don't worry, I'm going to settle into a slightly more moderate running schedule and do a few more 10Ks over the winter, I hope. Maybe a half marathon in the spring!

Just 9 days till your big day!! How exciting!! I know you'll do great - we'll all be cheering you on!! I really admire your dedicated training schedule, and it's so awesome that you want to keep getting better - never settling down to rest on one accomplishment is the attitude that separates the good from the great. You inspire us!!

dancer - thanks for the yaktrax link. Have you used them? (I can't remember or find who first mentioned them) Does it change your stride, are you more sore when you first start using them or anything?

I think my christmas wish list this year will be GIFT CARDS! So I can get running tights, yaktrax, all the cool running stuff that y'all are always talking about.

dancerindenver
10-08-2009, 12:26 PM
sharon - sorry, I've never actually run in them - just gone for walks on icy paths in the park or the neighborhood. I'm planning on giving them a good try this year though - hoping to gradually eliminate most of my excuses for not running when it's cold.

TakingCharge
10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Hey girls!! So sorry ive been totally MIA but I have an exam tomorrow (p.s. in case anyone was wondering, the kidney is VERY boring!) so I've been completely consumed with studying. I've read through your posts though and would love to respond to each but don't have time :( Congrats to those who are increasing mileage/strength/confidence and all of those wonderful things! And a huge good luck to anyone racing this weekend! I'll report back after my 10k and then I'm back for good (until my next exam...). Have a great weekend everyone!

momof5k
10-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Ran a decent (for me) 5K on my treadmill this morning after a week of running avoidance.

Trying to get back on track and increase my distance slowly over the next few months.

Congrats everyone!

MK: 9 days! :woohoo: You are an inspiration :)

mkroyer
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Sharon- thank you so much for your kind words! :) All of you inspire me as well, and i truly enjoy reading about and watching everyone progress in their runing before my very eyes!! Its so exciting to watch all of you take the plunge and find your strengths and your confidence!!! Im honored that you guys let me share some of MY experience and knowledge in the hopes of helping you guys out!!!
btw Sharon, ive heard michigan has some FANTASTIC marathon/half marathons
Momof5K- Thanks!!

sharongracepjs
10-08-2009, 03:12 PM
MK - next weekend (same as your marathon!) is the Detroit Free Press Marathon/Half Marathon, which seems to be a pretty big deal around here :) Michigan is a beautiful state for running; however, I am (knock on wood) moving to NYC at the end of this month!!! So I will have to find new routes, new running buddies, new everything! And I'm sure NYC has one or two great events, as well ;)

dancer - How was your run today?
Momof5K - way to hop back into the stride of things!
TC - GOOD LUCK with your exam!!

mkroyer
10-08-2009, 06:08 PM
Oh geez guys,
im REALLY UPSET, and theres NOTHING anyone can do about it. So, as you guys know i quit smoking a ilttle over 3 weeks ago! YAY ME!! However, in the span of only 3 weeks ive gained 4-5 pounds! BOO!!! At first i thouht it was due to the EXTREME constipation (hope i dont need to go into THOSE details again) ;) However, since things have been, uh MOVING again for a while, and the bLOATING has gone down, i find that my weight has NOT gone down. This is permanent weight. I did some further investigation into the matter. it seems that nicotine affects insulin levels! After ALL those years of smoking, my bodys insulin production is WAY outta whack now that i quit, and the over production of insulin right now is causing my body to store the dreaded fat. Hence 4 pounds SO FAR. This CAn take months to work itself out, and the ony thing you can do is WAIT it out. Here comes the kicker...it gets worse when you go off the patch. I am on the patch. i do NOT EVER want to go off the patch ifthe weight gain is going to get worse. But i need to. Cant stay on it forever, and im only delaying the inevitable. MOST peopl who DONT start mindlessly eating and crap (which i havent--my eating habits have not changed one bit) will gain at LEAST 10 pounds, and there is nothing they can do about it.
Ive spent all summer working SO HARD and spending so MUCH MONEY getting my weight FINALLY DOWN to where i am happy. and all for NOTHING. im thinking the DAY I finish my marathon, i need to yank off the patch, COLD TURKEY (and not step down doses like you are supposed to do) so i can stop delaying the inevitable. I started crying the more and more research articles i read..... I worked so hard, and i was finally HAPPY with the way i looked. Guess i better change my weight stats ( i was HOPING the weight iw as at was temporary water/constipation weight).
Im not sure if i should restart my diet when i go off the patch. The way my diet (Ive been on MRC) works, is you have certain menus for different stages during the diet, kinda like atkins induction phases, etc (this is NOT like atkins though). Im wondering if it will help/stall/avoid the excessive weight gain if i go full force back to the beginning of the diet, which BTW was EXTREME calorie deprivation the first 10 days, at least extreme to me given my training load! :) Im so scared you guys. i know if i can just WAIT out the weight gain, and go ahead and do it, that i can get it OFF again using MRC, becuz the MRC plan is SO effective if you follow it. I just dont want to go through the emotional/psychological trauma and devastation of gaining the weight, you all know what i mean, im sure.

Just so you guys know, going back to being a smoker is not EVEN A THOUGHT I AM CONSIDERING.
not that any of you can offer that majical advice that will fix anything, i just really neede to rant, i guess.

dancerindenver
10-08-2009, 08:03 PM
mk - hang in there, kiddo! that sounds really really hard and not the reward you deserve for taking the great step of quitting. So sorry.

Just got back from my much delayed run (in the snow no less) - 5.6 miles! Haven't run that far in 20 years. Just ordered some of fatpants' tights to celebrate as the xc skiing ones I wore today definitely weren't designed for running but are okay in a pinch.

iriswhispers
10-09-2009, 01:10 AM
Cool about the yaktrax!! I've never heard of them before.

MK, how upsetting about nicotine and insulin! After all your work to lose the weight and to quit smoking. =(

nattynatnat
10-09-2009, 02:38 AM
I have damn coral in my foot! - A weekend of diving gone bad . I am training for a marathon in December and this weekend was supposed to be my 17 mile run! Damn I feel stressed!

MBN
10-09-2009, 07:58 AM
not that any of you can offer that majical advice that will fix anything, i just really neede to rant, i guess.

:hug: rant away!

There may be another factor at work too -- for some reason, I tend to gain weight during hard training and racing season. Balancing adequate fueling with athletic performance is very difficult. You have to stay adequately hydrated and eat enough carbs (which adds water weight). Then you taper and burn LESS calories for a couple of weeks before, and need to adequately refuel afterward for muscle repair. Add the insulin wackiness on top of that, and no wonder!

You are doing all of the right things, and the scale will have to cooperate eventually!

iDream
10-09-2009, 09:08 AM
MK~ I'm so sorry about all the insulin stuff! However, what MBN said makes a lot of sense. I bet once you're body is just in the middle of adjusting with the quitting smoking and the training you're doing. Hang in there hun, I'm sure once everything evens out you'll find yourself sitting in a better position than you imagine. However, I would be pissed too if, after all that hard work you were faced with a gain after doing something good for you body! :mad: It just doesn't seem fair! :tantrum:

So, I decided that I'd rather do my running in the morning--I'm just not liking running in the afternoons. I have found that I can squeeze in my other workout in the middle of the day while the girls are playing and it's all good. Might be one or two that I need to do in the morning (like yoga) but when it comes to running 3 miles--I'm sticking to early morning! Had to run it on the treadmill again this morning--I woke up late and it was pouring so I opted to stay home and stay dry. ;) I already miss running outside so much! My time stinks on the treadmill!!

Well girls, have a wonderful day! I'll catch y'all later! :)

Fat Pants
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
MK, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a tough time. Who knew that smoking could affect insulin? After the race you might want to try cutting down on carbs to offset the increased insulin. Not really "low carb" per say, but just try to limit them if possible. That is what busted me through my plateau!

Dancer - congrats on the 5.6 miles!!! Hope you like the tights! :D

iDream - I hear you on the different running times during the day. I too decided that running in the afternoon rarely produces a good run. I'm likely to do better in the morning, and definitely better in the evening. A challenge now that the days are getting shorter, but I think when you find a time of day that works for you, it's good to stick with it!

WEeelllllll it's supposed to be a balmy 26 degrees and SNOWING tomorrow morning for my race! :brr: DH and I are on the hunt tonight for some winter running gear for him and maybe some extras for me... I'll really be putting those tights to the test tomorrow morning!

dancerindenver
10-09-2009, 12:19 PM
fatpants - best of luck tomorrow! hope you can bundle up and stay warm! And best wishes to any other racers this weekend!

loquaciousjogger
10-09-2009, 12:40 PM
sharon: check out New York Road Runners Club ;)

I've been avoiding this week due to stress and tests...and just everything piling up. I ran two days ago-- did 2 9 min miles then a 10 min mile. So, not too terrible... but, I really need to work on my endurance! Going to get back on track this weekend more...

sharongracepjs
10-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Well, ladies, I signed on today to whine about how discouraged I am over my weight-gain and ask if anyone else experienced something similar when they upped their runnning...and now I feel totally shamed about my pity party compared to poor MK.

I'm so sorry things are dismal right now, dearie! I'm proud of you, though, for being realistic and confident about your plan to ride it out and do what you have to do to relose - it sucks to have such a setback, but I know you can do it when your body is ready! And so awesome to remain focused on your determination to quit despite the initial effects! I feel inspired to ride out my own rough patch and figure out an action plan.

dancer - 5.6 snowy miles! Awesome!!
SkinnyJeans - good luck with your big race day! Have fun and STAY WARM! (we already know you're HOT :D )
iDream - cute new pic! I recommend morning running - it makes the whole day bright and lively.
loquacious - thanks for the tip! Good luck with stuff and have fun this weekend if you make it out there!

So, yeah, my whinefest - seems all of September has been a weight-loss major stall for me despite how awesome my running is going. this week I regained 2.5 pounds despite no eating-plan slippages and 20+ miles run. Pretty discouraging, as I don't know what to fix...and I don't feel fatter. Maybe the effect MBN explained, to a much lesser degree of course, since I've been training so hard for the 10k?

I'm trying to stay pumped for my big race tomorrow, and I know this discouragement will pass...

Sorry this is long. <3 to all of you! TGIF!

TakingCharge
10-09-2009, 05:37 PM
Hi girls! I'm baaaack! I took my test today and passed (woohoo!) so I can breathe easy and return to my normal self. I've been a total disaster with food this past week and have gained a few pounds, but more importantly, feel pretty disgusting. I've run a few times to get ready for the 10K this Sunday but I'm definitely picking up the running and cleaning up the food NOW. Need to get back to feeling good to start off my half marathon training!

Mk - I'm so sorry that you're going through all this crappy stuff! But I'm so incredibly proud of you for not even thinking about smoking again. You WILL make it through and your body will readjust. I wouldn't go too extreme with your diet, especially with all the running, but maybe cut down a little on the carbs, drink a ton of water, and just don't weigh yourself for a week or two! I really do think your body will readjust to the changing hormone levels and the weight will come off even if you do exactly what you're doing now, maybe not overnight, but it'll happen. Just keep your spirits up and get exciting for your MARATHON!!!

Dancer - Wow! Congrats on that distance! That's so impressive. You're improving so quickly, it's awesome!

FatPants - Good luck on your race this weekend!! I can't believe how cold it's gonna be, but I'm sure the adrenaline (and all those layers of clothes) will keep you warm!

Loquacious - Ugh, don't test suck? I feel like my whole life falls apart the week of an exam, but it's all about balance I guess. Good luck!

Sharon - I started eating more when I started running a lot, so I gained a few pounds until I found the right balance, so maybe just make sure you're really vigilant with your diet (I know you said you are, but it can't hurt to be extra careful!). Also, water retention/muscle building could be a big factor, so give your body a few weeks to adjust to all the running. As long as you don't feel like you're gaining and your clothes still fit well, then you're fine!

Idream - Sounds like you're doing great with your running!

Hi to everyone else! :)

Thighs Be Gone
10-09-2009, 07:21 PM
Fat Pants--thank you! I appreciate you posting the link. I definitely need to get something figured out. I have been using Nike long activewear pants but I know I will need more as the winter comes on full.

--Ran my four miles today and very dark, cloudy weather. I added some new songs to my Ipod--it sure helps! I even think it's a mood booster for me--I am sure the exercise always is but adding it with the music is awesome.

Enjoy the weekend Runners!

iriswhispers
10-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Happy weekend and good luck to everyone who is racing this weekend!!

I'm inspired by some of your switches to AM running. I'd really like to get into this habit, but I am NOT a morning person. I am queen of the snooze alarm and staying in bed until the last possible minute that I can. That being said, sometimes by the end of the day I am just burnt out. Any of you have to really struggle with morning runs and have any advice for me? It'd be much appreciated =)

momof5k
10-09-2009, 07:51 PM
I will be no help to you, I am afraid. I do find that my runs are much better when I run in the morning..which surprised me because I am NOT a morning person either.

But my definition of a morning run is probably very different than many here :) I get up, get my big kids onto the bus, get my little one breakfast and then I run. This means it is usually sometime between 9 and 10 when I hop on my treadmill. That is doable for me as I don't work outside the home during the day. My work is more likely to be evenings and weekends.

iDream
10-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Just a super fast fly by post for me (gotta get my workout in!), but I wanted to wish SkinnyPants and Sharon good luck on their races!!!!!

Have a blast, stay warm and good luck!!! :) Can't wait to hear all about it!

loquaciousjogger
10-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Taking Charge, I so know the feeling. Tests suck. I hope you're feeling better since they're over. I've been a wreck this week as well... To make up for it, last night I just danced three straight hours. I feel a little more like myself now... since sometimes you need that release.. :)

Sharon - thanks! :D

I don't have time today unless I skip out on my plans tonight, but going tomorrow for a nice long run! :running:

Fat Pants
10-10-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi ladies, nothing to report here... our race was canceled! It was 20 and snowing/freezing rain this morning and someone slipped and broke their ankle before the race began so they called it off. Probably for the better... it was slippery and my hubby and I were wondering how on earth we were going to race without breaking our necks!

I was kind of bummed.. my legs felt good this morning and I think I could have had a great race. Oh well, got some free Panera cookiies, bagels and coffee in the meantime so it wasn't a total loss!

I'm currently looking for another 5k between now and our 10k in Nov... not much this time of year.

momof5k
10-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Oh Fat Pants...how disappointing :( Better to have it cancelled then run and risk an injury though.

TakingCharge
10-11-2009, 02:52 PM
Hey girls. Don't have time to write a full race report now, but just wanted to say that I ran my first 10K(first race ever, actually) today and it was AWESOME! Seriously, it was one of the most exciting moments of my life! Will definitely write more later, but just wanted to share that I accomplished my dream goal of finishing in under an hour and came in at 59:09!! Woot woot!

Anyway, hope everyone had great races/runs and I'll be back later tonight to check in with all of you!

mkroyer
10-11-2009, 05:23 PM
HOLY COW takingCharge-----that is a FANTASTIC TIME!!! BIG CONGRATS!!!!! I think i ran my first 10k in 1:04 or something!! You did it! :)

mkroyer
10-11-2009, 05:30 PM
SkinnyPants--total bummer about the weather yesterady!! I was thinking about you and wondering if they were still gonna have the race...GGgrrrrrrrr.....i hope you got a refund at least ;)
It was even colder up here..... when i went out for my run yesterday morning (which btw, ended up being 8 miles, not 6) it was 17 DEGREES!!! At first my body was scared, but once i got out there i forgot how much i actually ENJOY running in the cold and snow!! it was beautiful, and NOT windy!! I ended up starting out dressing too warm..... I had on insulated tights, and this long sleeved midlayer i wear skiing, along with my light-weight running jacket, and a hat and gloves. I went out to the car to get something and i was already SWEATING!! :) so i ditched the longsleeved shirt for a tank-top and shortsleeved tech tshirt. ended up being PERFECT
(although it really doesnt seem like it was possible for me to stay warm in that in 17 degree weather!). The only problem was the gloves. I bought some new, heavy running gloves and my fingers were frozen..shoulda worn my huge ski gloves. But really, ill say it again, it was freaking 17 degrees out!! i think the gloves will be perfect for most of the time --like between 25 and 35 degrees....

mkroyer
10-11-2009, 05:35 PM
Thank you ALL for your advice about the smoking weight gain thing.I talked to the councilors at my weight loss place, and for now we are cutting out the higher carb lunch "extras" and the high carb breakfast "extras" Basically i WAS getting a higher sugar fruit at breakfast (along with bread) and i was getting a heavy carb at lunch (bagel, or cereal) along with fruit. SO, we took some of that stuff out....and we will just wait and see, i guess.......im going to try my hardest to be positive about this whole thing......and im upping my strength training to..from 2 times a week to 4 times a week (which should help boost my metabolism) and drinking green tea..... Of course this weekend, all bets are off as far as food goes!! the day before my marathon (sat) im planning on having PANCAKES!! for EVERY MEAL!! with SYRUP!!! REAL SYRUP----not sugar free!!! Alot of people eat pasta to carbo load, and although i LIKE pasta, id rather have PANCAKES!!! which i LOVE!! YUMYUM even if im running 26 miles 385 yards, ill prob still show a pretty big gain come monday, between pancake FEAST and all day sunday celebration feast!! But i dont care..... :) Ive EARNED the right to eat whatever i gosh darn want that day!! Illget the weight off!!

mkroyer
10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
its MARATHON WEEK------ i get to run 12 miles this week! TOTAL! I had a blistering 2.5 mile run today....... i DO get one 5 miler, on tuesday, but thats the highest mileage run all week.... Saturdays plan is a one hour long YOGA session, followed by an easy mile run to loosen up my muscles, then i will STRETCH STRETCH STRETCH. THEN soak in the gyms hot tub for a little while, and THEN my trainer offered to give me a MASSAGE!!!! The best part is that i have a HUGE crush on my trainer, so this will be nice.... ;) (hes engaged, but i know he likes me too...does it make me a horrible person to hope that his nurse fiance runs off with a rich doctor, and that my BFriend blows himself up in some freakish drunken dutch oven cooking accident?) :) KIDDING. But seriously, he and i get along SO WELL... we fight and bicker and flirt and dish s**t to each other, laugh and have GREAT chemistry, both as far as a trainer/trainee relationship, and on a personal level....... SIGH........

mkroyer
10-11-2009, 06:01 PM
THIGHS--thats funny (about adding new music) i ALWAYS run better/faster when i have some new songs to listen too!! i get so SICK of the same crap, you know??

TAKING CHARGE-- when does half marathon training OFFICIALLY begin for you, now that you ROCKED your 10K?? What plan are you going to use?? WHen/where is the half?? Oh, and i am totally with you on the eating cleaner pact!! So far this weekend ive done really well!! Weekends are usually SO HARD!!

SHaron---Well??? Were waiting on a race report for that 10K!!?!? Hurry up and get it posted please!! And BTW, i will TOTALLY come to your pity party!!! Your struggles are your own, and cannot be compared to anyone elses, and are completely valid!! That SUCKS that you are gaining weight!
Hey, at least i KNOW WHY im gaining weight!! You havent done anything to deserve it!! And btw its completely normal for runners to NOT lose weight, especially when they are training hard!! I bet you are loosing inches though (over the longer trend!!) Give it some time...i was never able to lose weight as a runner. it wasnt until i did a MASSIVE diet overhaul and began eating REALLY CLEAN (on my diet, MRC) that i was FINALLY able to lose weight!! Running is hard on your body, you need to treat it well....on the other hand, just because you got in your morning run doesnt give you license to eat whatEVER you want, you know?

IRIS-- just like running itself takes practice, dedication and determination, so to does adjusting your body to waking up earlier and running!! To start with, try waking up alittle earlier, and going on SHORTER runs then you might normally do, till your body adjusts to the idea of getting up and working out! I personally need about an HOUR after i wake up before i can even get my butt out the door. I just sit on the couch for a while, with my coffee, and stare at the weather channel. I ENVY people who can roll outta bed and put on their shoes and go, you know?? Thats not me...however i DO know that crap ALWAYS comes up in the afternoon after work....... Im always tired, and grumpy and hungry.... :) Getting it done forst thing in the morning leaves you with such an accomplished feeling, and is SUCH a great way to start off the day!!!!! Not to mention you will have it outta the way, and then when you get home at night, you can park your butt on the couch and watch television to your hearts content, or whatever other lazy activity you enjoy!!! Give it a try for a little while! I say, promise yourself you will try it for 2 weeks!! GO to bed one hour earlier (which might take you a couple nights to get used to) and wake up one hour earlier, and get in some short runs!! by the end of the two weeks your body will have adjusted to it and then you will KNOW ALL THE secrets only us *morning* runners are privelaged to!!

TakingCharge
10-11-2009, 10:58 PM
Ok girls, I'm back for a quick race recap before I pass out in my bed! First lesson that I learned: don't get 4 hours of sleep the night before a race...oops! I had a date last night that ran much later than expected and I got into bed at 1, planning on waking up at 6. But for some crazy reason (nerves? excitement?) I woke up at 5 and was wide awake! Luckily, the adrenaline got me through the race but I've been pretty useless since then.

Ok, so I get to the race and there are hundreds and hundreds of people there! It was so freakin awesome!!! Young, old, skinny, not so skinny, elite athletes...it's amazing to be surrounded by people who love running as much as I do and who are dedicated enough to be there at 7:30am on Sunday to run! The weather was perfect. 65 degrees, nice and cool, right along the ocean. So beautiful!

I thought about you girls at the beginning and really tried to pace myself, though as I looked at my watch at mile 1, I realized it was 9:20min/mile! Same thing happened with mile 2, and then I slowed down to about 10min/mile for miles 3 and 4 because I knew I wanted to save my strength for the end. Miles 5 and 6 were about 9:20-9:30 and then I sprinted the last .26 (ya, it was 6.26 miles for this one)! My date from last night was waiting at mile 1 to cheer me on (how cute!) and my parents were at the finish line cheering! Official chip time was...wait for it...58:57!!!!

Overall, it really was one of my proudest moments because I've come so far in the last 6 months in terms of health and my general state of being and I feel like this was the first real accomplishment (other than weight loss, new clothes, etc) that showed me how strong I really am and how dedication and commitment are the keys to success! Ok, so sappy, sorry! Anyway, I attached a pic of me and my mom at the end of the race. Figured it was time for you guys to see what I look like, so you don't have to imagine me as a cartoon running on the treadmill! :)

Mk - Thanks for the encouragement!! I can't believe your marathon is SO SOON!! I can't wait to hear all about it! I haven't set an official start date for half marathon training. It's February 7th in Huntington Beach (another one along the ocean!) so I have plenty of time. I'm definitely sticking with running 4x/week for now, but I can't decide if I want to stick with a constant pace and build distance, or if I should work on distance and speed. I'm actually kind of happy with my speed if I can establish my base at around 9:30, so I'm not sure how many tempo/interval runs I'm going to incorporate, at least for the next month or two. Maybe closer to the race, once I've built my distance up to around 10 miles or so, I may rethink my strategy. For my training plan, I basically wanna do a combo of a bunch of plans I've found online. Something like this: Tue 4-5mi, Wed 3-4mi, Fri 4-5mi and long run on Sunday, starting at 6 and then working up maybe every other week. I'm sure I"ll throw in some tempos/intervals to keep things interesting, but I don't know if I want to devote a time every week to them. What do you think? P.S. I love that you have a crush on your trainer. I've totally been there! Maybe you'll both realize you're meant for each other and run away together and live the healthiest, most athletic life ever! It'll be like The Notebook: Marathon Edition...hahaha.

Ok, longest post ever! Hope you all had fantastic weekends!!

iriswhispers
10-12-2009, 12:56 AM
TC, CONGRATS!!!

Sharon, I can't wait to hear about your 10K.

MK, thanks for the morning- run pep talk! Tomorrow I have a Dr. appointment so I'm not going to start it just YET, but I really do want to try - I definitely want to be able to start my day with that feeling of accomplishment already!
Also enjoy the massage from your trainer! hehe

Fat Pants
10-12-2009, 10:43 AM
SkinnyPants--total bummer about the weather yesterady!! I was thinking about you and wondering if they were still gonna have the race...GGgrrrrrrrr.....i hope you got a refund at least ;)
It was even colder up here..... when i went out for my run yesterday morning (which btw, ended up being 8 miles, not 6) it was 17 DEGREES!!! At first my body was scared, but once i got out there i forgot how much i actually ENJOY running in the cold and snow!! it was beautiful, and NOT windy!! I ended up starting out dressing too warm..... I had on insulated tights, and this long sleeved midlayer i wear skiing, along with my light-weight running jacket, and a hat and gloves. I went out to the car to get something and i was already SWEATING!! :) so i ditched the longsleeved shirt for a tank-top and shortsleeved tech tshirt. ended up being PERFECT
(although it really doesnt seem like it was possible for me to stay warm in that in 17 degree weather!). The only problem was the gloves. I bought some new, heavy running gloves and my fingers were frozen..shoulda worn my huge ski gloves. But really, ill say it again, it was freaking 17 degrees out!! i think the gloves will be perfect for most of the time --like between 25 and 35 degrees....

Nope, no refund... we just stocked up on free Panera food LOL. Truth be told I think it would have been a great run because there wasn't any wind, despite the chilly temps. I mean I was all decked out in my gear... I wanted to really put it to the test! :lol:

I signed up for another 5k in two weeks, the Manitou Springs Mayor's Cup. Hopefully we have better conditions for this one!

TC - Nice job on the 10k!! Great race report... sounds like you had so much fun! and how sweet of your date and your parents to be cheering you on! :D

sharongracepjs
10-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Wow, I'm so behind!!

Ok, first of all, here is my insanely long race blog post (http://shrinkingsharon.blogspot.com/2009/10/operation-10k-on-10-10-one-where-i.html). The 10K was both totally awesome, and totally totally horrible! I've never had such a rough time running so far. I even cried a little bit while I was running, I was so discouraged. I had to work really hard on my mind the whole time to keep going. And a lot about the race was poorly organized, and the course was awful, so that didn't help. But......in the end, we finished! And I ran the whole time with no walking breaks! So I both loved and hated it and I felt so incredibly proud of myself at the finish line. And now I feel super tough, both physically and even more so mentally, that I can succeed with all the stuff that's going to be changing and scary in my life in the next few months. So on the whole, it was a great experience, even if I hated it in the moment :D

Thanks so much for all your support and advice and cheering! To be totally honest, there were a couple points that the only thing I used to keep myself running was thinking about how much I would hate coming back here and telling all of you that I had quit.

TakingCharge - I'm so glad your race was awesome!! Your time was incredible! I'm so inspired! Way to go!! Also, congrats on what must have been a pretty great date :D

SkinnyJeans - major bummer about your race being canceled, but it sounds like it was maybe a good call by the organizers. Now you'll be super hungry and pumped for the next one!

MK - thanks so much for the sympathy. I should probably do a bit more tweaking to my eating plan - and I'm going to do some yoga classes this week, because I've heard it's good cross-training for running, and I think it will help with the post-big-event burnout. I'm so excited for your big day! I can't wait to hear about it! Just 12 miles this week? Wow, this is my one chance to match mileage with the Great MK! ;) That's awesome that you've found such a great fit with your trainer. I know having the perfect fit for a running buddy has made a huge difference, and I'm nervous about how it will affect my running when I move. Your significant-other-disposal scenario cracked me up!!

ok, this is a way too long post. Happy Monday, everyone!

Fat Pants
10-12-2009, 09:30 PM
Wow, sharon, I read your blog entry and it does sound like a really poorly designed/planned race! I think I would go nuts having to run the same loop that many times!! Either way, you didn't quit, you ran the entire time and I think you had a FANTASTIC time for your first 10k! You should be VERY proud of yourself, especially considering you only had 3 weeks to train! :hug: :D

TakingCharge
10-13-2009, 01:01 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm thinking about signing up for another 10K in 2 weeks because I had so much fun with this first one. What do you all think? Too soon? It's not hard to run 6 miles but it's more the emotion of it all, waking up super early, etc. I don't know!

Fat Pants - Glad you have another race to look forward to since yours was cancelled. What a bummer!

Sharon - Sorry you had such a crazy experience with your race! But I think it's amazing that you ran the whole time and really showed yourself that you can do it and kick some serious butt!

MBN
10-13-2009, 06:48 AM
post[/URL]. The 10K was both totally awesome, and totally totally horrible! I've never had such a rough time running so far.

Sharon, thanks so much for your race report! I'm amazed you did that well with so little training, 6.2 miles is nothing to sneeze at! And I think your time is awesome; my first 10K was around that time, 1:12:something. I was ecstatic with that. Nicely done!

There's something incredibly empowering about digging down inside yourself and persisting through difficulty to accomplish something that is beyond hard; pushing yourself beyond your perceived limits. As an "adult-onset" athlete, I had never pushed myself in that way until I got into running. It would be so easy to quit in those circumstances, but if somehow we find that inner strength to keep going, to NOT give up no matter what, and then to finish ... it's a feeling unlike any other. It's hard to describe unless you've experienced it.

MK -- good luck on your race this weekend!!!

Sylvied
10-13-2009, 11:36 AM
Wow, it sounds like everyone's doing great. Congrats on the 10Ks Sharon and TakingCharge I have so much admiration for you.

MK good luck with your taper and enjoy your pancake feast... mmmm pancakes.

My big report is that I went away this weekend but managed to get in a 4 km run. My incredibly fit husband came with me and I left him in the dust :) ...which was, perhaps, a little more enjoyable than it ought to have been since we weren't racing or anything... but I've not really been measuring my speed against anything tangible so it was nice to know that I'm not really crawling along although I sometimes feel like I am.

I also got up this morning and ran 5.4 km which is the longest I've ever run without stopping...hopefully I'm on a roll.

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Sylvied--Congrats on the the 5.4km!! That is a big accompolishment...i believ you just MIGHT be on a roll!! :) Keep it up!!! And thank you for the well wishes..i will try my very VERY hardest to choke down the horrible pancakes and enjoy them!! ;)

Sharon-- Sharon, Sharon Sharon...... SIGH. I read your bolg (you crack me up as usual!!!) You worked SO HARD to complete Operation 10K by the 10th, and in my opinion, it was 100% successful!!!! A smashing success!! YOU DID IT!!! with less than 3 weeks to prepare!!! You asked SO MUCH of your body, and it came thru when it mattered, and so did you!!
Mentally, i think you are so much farther along than i was back then....you were able to push your body thru when your mind was telling you NO NONO!! That takes so much practice and dedication to work through! I think that is one of the big accompolishments of the day. you KNEW your body could physically handle running 6.2 miles.......and now your mind does too! That took serious guts to impose such a huge goal on yourself to achieve in such a short period of time. Im sorry it sucked. Im sorry you had a bad race experience (hey they happen--but PLESE DONT let it discourage you). I think that 5 lap race course is the biggest CRAP-OUT race organizers can do, and it must have sucked something FIERCE. The ability to push through THAT mental roadbloack deserves applause too, in my opinion. Nothing like being tired and just physically done during a race, seeing the finish line, and then having to REPEAT the course!!!
I dont know how to make the "HUGS" emoticon show up, but i am giving you a big one right now! :) We are all so SO PROUD of you!!!

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
TakingCharge----You can TOTALLY rock another 10K in 2 weeks! GO FOR IT!! :)
The way i see, youre already planning on starting to train for a half marathon, so you NEED to be able to keep your base mileage AND long-run Mileage up to at least 10K distance before you delve into the new training regime!! Of course, as long as you dont think your body needs more time to recover (honestly though, you trained very smartly for this race, so Id be willing to bet you arent even sore/stiff anymore, if you were at all after the race)
Before you know it, youll be running 10Ks a couple times a week as your *normal* daily mileage!!

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 12:24 PM
Sharon--just one more quick thought on your race experiece....Maybe the reason your legs and mind didnt want to cooperate is because you were overtrained? YOu stepped up your mileage big time, too fast (as far as common sense and the old addage of no more than a 10% increase each week) to prepare for the race. Your body needed some time to recover between these runs of ever increasing distance, but you didnt HAVE time to let your body recover (eyes on the prize, and all). Lesson learned though, right? You are strong, and you have a better idea now of how hard your body can be pushed! Alot further than you probably thought, huh?

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=MBN;2968192]
There's something incredibly empowering about digging down inside yourself and persisting through difficulty to accomplish something that is beyond hard; pushing yourself beyond your perceived limits. As an "adult-onset" athlete, I had never pushed myself in that way until I got into running. It would be so easy to quit in those circumstances, but if somehow we find that inner strength to keep going, to NOT give up no matter what, and then to finish ... it's a feeling unlike any other. It's hard to describe unless you've experienced it.

[QUOTE]

MBN-beautifully spoken...thank you so much!! i am also an 'adult onset' athlete!! :) Running has given me the exact same rewards you describe!!!!

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 12:28 PM
apparantly i dont know how to quote either :)

momof5k
10-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Wow everybody! I so love reading your posts and hearing how far everyone has come. There are days when I think that the 5K in under 40 minutes is unreachable for me and that this is all I'll ever be able to run so hearing everyone else's progress gives me hope.

Today I ran 4 miles without a single walk break! A new record for me!! I took me nearly an hour but I did it. :woohoo:

sharongracepjs
10-13-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks so much, guys!! Your support and advice makes all the difference :D

MK - I'm so overwhelmed by your encouragement! It's a huge boost to me, coming from someone who works so hard and has achieved so much! I think you are right about the overtraining. As much as it was an awesome experience and so empowering to the mental side of running, now that the race is over, I feel totally wiped out. I ran 3 yesterday and hated it, ran today, hated it more, and didn't even finish my 4 miles. I think I'm burnt out and I need to figure out how to refocus and get the passion again.

Momof5K - 4 miles!! Awesome!! You're unstoppable!

MBN - you're totally right, and that's so beautifully expressed! Success at running, something I never thought I could do, has increased my confidence in myself in other areas, too. I'm stronger than I think, and I'm learning not to give up on myself.

<3 to all!

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
Sharon-- a bad race experience can leave you in a running "funk" for a little while. Dont let it discourage you! Take a couple days off from running, or however long you need. Running will be waiting for you when you are ready again!! Theres no need at the moment to force it..... Do you have any more races planned in the near future?

Momof5--Way to go on the 4 miles!!! The Sub 40 5K is totally within your reach!! Keep up the hard work! :)

mkroyer
10-13-2009, 02:08 PM
ONe month Cigarrete free today guys!! :)
Marathon Taper Update:
my inner runner got the better of me today....... i did a 5 mile hill interval session on the treadmill.... :( (please dont tell my trainer--he'll have my head).
new game plan: ive been running alot on the treadmill the past couple weeks partly cuz its been FREEZING, and also really becuz im supposed to have been tapering, so i go to the gym instead to workout, and then i think "ill just hop on the treadmill for a quick warmup mile"...and BAM! Before i know it, im knee deep in a 6 mile interval session!
So, NOW im starting to freak out (please god, give me something else to stress about, im feeling awfully content lately) that ive completely FORGOTTEN how to run on ground that is not moving beneath me!! Ridiculous?? Its stupid to start doing my runs on a treadmill right before the marathon when a treadmill will not be available for my use on Sunday :)
---Back to the freak out: IM giong to run an UBER EASY SLOW EASY SLOW EASY 3 miles tomorrow am outside where the ground doesnt move, just to make sure i havent forgotten what the pavement feels like. then THURSDAY, i will SLEEP IN. As in, NO EXERCISING. NO GYM. NO RUNNING. I will see how fat and slothlike i can get in one day! :) Friday: SLEEP IN. Then i meet with my trainer for a session in the afternoon. Saturday, easy 2 miles outside on the pavement and stretching, etc. SUNDAY--well, you know what Sunday is.....

momof5k
10-13-2009, 02:46 PM
MK: Congrats on your one month cigarette free! What an accomplishment! And thanks for the encouragement. Can't wait to read your post marathon post :)

Sharon: Reading your race blog post reminded me again how much of this is mental, not physical. I notice that all the time for myself but sometimes think I am the only one ;) My mind wants to quit long before my body does. It is just such a mind game. I keep hearing "you are not a runner" in my head and have to shut that out and listen to my body...that is RUNNING!!

sharongracepjs
10-13-2009, 03:03 PM
momof5K - It's so great when you do push through and ignore the bad part of your mind's discouragement and do what your body can do, because that makes the good part of your mind even stronger for next time! Have you signed up for a particular event yet?

MK - one month smoke-free?! Ahhhh!! Incredible!! You're amazing! I can't believe how soon your race is. So pumped. Detroit's big marathon is this weekend and my company does the marketing for the athletic store that's a sponsor, so whenever an ad crosses my desk, I think of your marathon being the same day and send out a little cheer :D Ironically, my boss flies to Denver for the second half of every week, so maybe he'll be plane mates with your competition! Good luck with your next few days of lazy bliss - and will you be eating pancakes on Saturday?!

As far as what's next - my running buddy is out of town the rest of this week, plus I have a gift card for some yoga classes, so it's almost perfect. I'm going to relax, enjoy trying yoga for the first time and see how I feel about running on Friday or Saturday.

AND, I am moving from Detroit to New York City in 3 weeks! Ack! There's a 15K in NYC in December I'd love to sign up and train for, but I'm going to wait until the move happens and I get settled in and find out what running will be like in my new city before I commit to it. On the one hand, having a race coming up will help me stay disciplined and not use the move as an excuse; on the other hand, I don't want to overload myself. So we'll see.

TakingCharge
10-13-2009, 03:14 PM
MBN - Beautiful words! I just started running in April after several attempts over the past 5 or so years to get into it. All the other times, I would just give up when it got too hard or my shin splints started acting up, but I've finally kept up this time and am a real runner! It's one of the best things I've ever done for myself and it's great to have you girls here because you totally understand and go through the same highs and lows that running brings.

Sylvied - Great job on the 5.4K! That's a really good distance to get to and you'll just keep going farther and farther from there!

Mom - 4 miles!! That's so awesome! I'm impressed with how much you're pushing yourself. Keep it up!

Mk - Wow girl, 1 month!! I'm so happy for you! Is there a better way to celebrate 1 month cigarette free than running a marathon??? I don't think so! And your freak out is totally understandable, but seriously, you could NOT be more ready for this race! You've done absolutely everything possible to prepare. You're strong (physically AND mentally) and you're an amazing athlete so I have no doubt in my mind that you're gonna have an incredible race day!

So I decided to sign up for that 10K next Sunday! This time, I plan on getting more than 4 hours of sleep! I was actually a little sore after this one but mostly because I didn't stretch at all after and I went on a 3 mile walk with my mom that day! Lesson learned! You're right Mk, I need to incorporate 6 miles as part of my normal weekly runs so this is a good way to keep up with that.

On a sucky note, I'm up 3 pounds :mad: Maybe a small part of that is water weight from sore muscles, but I know I ate like a crazy person this weekend. I have to remind myself that a 10K is NOT a marathon so there's no excuse to eat more than I normally would (aka stuff my face with dried fruit and clif bars). I HATE struggling with my weight. Ugh. I hope one day I can just eat normally and not have to think about every little thing that I put in my mouth...maybe when I'm pregnant? :D

TakingCharge
10-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Sharon - I meant to reply to you in my last post but I submitted my reply too soon! I wanted to say that I totally hear ya on the burnout and I've been there. I had a good 2 weeks where every run felt like a chore and I just didn't want to run at all! If I remember correctly, I just did a few easy runs each of those weeks, didn't push too hard, and then by the end I was ready to get back into my normal routine and to push myself. Also, do you do any intervals or tempo runs? Starting those made things interesting for me because I knew I could challenge myself and I wouldn't just have to run straight through at the same pace indefinitely. Also, doing yoga is a fantastic idea! It's sooo good for your mind and body and has really helped my running. Good luck with the move! I love NYC. So fun!!

Ilene
10-13-2009, 07:56 PM
MK -- :bravo: on the non smoking :woohoo: ... and you're mind is just playin' with ya, you'll be fine for your race :yes: ...

You gals rock... all of you, with your goals and plans all set up...

There are no races coming this way till spring, so I'll just have to keep practicing till then... I am trying to bring my pace up a bit....

mkroyer
10-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Good morning lady runners!! (hey, how come we dont have any MEN runners in here??---or mayhaps some of you with just your cartoon AVATARS are REALLY GUYS!!-- taking charge, i would be looking at you, cept you just posted your FABULOUS BEAUTIFUL 10K photo, and you are most DEFINITELY too gorgeous to be a man!!)

Anyway...i held true to my word...only ran 3.5 miles this am....YUCK....Oh, but HERES the bees knees...i just happend to check my training schedule for the first time in months, and it turns out i was suppsed to run 4 miles today!!!! Thats it!! MArathon is shot now........ didnt follow the plan ;) I am sad i missed out on the chance to burn an extra 40 calories though!! COME ON!!! Thats an extra squirt of Icant believe its not butter, or maybe 2 cookie crumbs!!! DAMN.....

Other than that....my morning has been kinda..ok, i guess...... it was SO FOGGY here in Denver this am...it was BEAUTFUL. Like San Francisco, London, Pea Soup, cant even see the stop light until you are directly underneath it foggy.... very unusual for Colorado.
OH!! and the weather forcast for my marathon keeps getting better and better......now the forcasted high is 74 degrees!!!!! the ONLY thing that sux is that even though its going to get up to 74 (long after im done running) at the start and before the race its still gonna be like 40 degrees. In other words, cold enough that i NEED a light jacket....which i WONT need after an hour....... my BoyFriend has been enlisted to be stratigically placed at different mile markers around the course to be avilable for gear dumping, gear exchanging, gear carrying, and of course, moral support. :) Oh, and remember the trainer i have a crush on?? He said he wants to be ther for me at the finish!! :) The question is, who do i hobble to at the end for my first congratulatory kiss---ERR----Hug, i mean?? KIDDING

mkroyer
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
Where the **** is cakebatter?

MBN
10-14-2009, 01:05 PM
MK - this is your first marathon, right? If I may offer just one small piece of advice: don't start out too fast! You will be completely stoked after the taper period and all of the waiting around at the start and it is SO easy to take off faster than planned or intended. IMO there are two halves to the marathon - the first 20 miles and the last 6.2! Pace yourself ... stay with your planned pacing and strategy. It is a very looooong way ....

Look around, enjoy the process, and remember that not matter how quickly or slowly you finish, it is still a PR!

mkroyer
10-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Thanks MBN..believe me...i have a very specific strategy that i have practiced/used very successfully on all of my long runs, including 3 20 milers training for this..... the 9 minute mile im gong to run is VERY comfy, and im planning on running 9 minute miles until the last 5 miles....than i will run whatever pace i WANT/CAN/NEED to run to finish. Im also planning on trying to run with the 9 minute pace group, which puts me finishing at 3:57 something...the only problem with that is that i tend to have um...BATHROOM Needs early on in races i am anxious aout, so im afraid i will lose them rather quickly to the prta potty lines during the first half of the race...oh well....my strategy all along has not been necessarily for time, as this IS my first marathon...but rather to finish, and finish STRONG and have a good time.....how cool would it be though to break 4 hours on my first marathon? :) However, i KNOW BETTER than to go out too fast, on ANY distance over 10 miles.......

TakingCharge
10-14-2009, 03:21 PM
Mk - Thanks for that very sweet compliment!! I can't believe you only ran 3.5 miles instead of 4...you slacker!! Maybe you can run 26.7 instead of 26.2 to make up for that half mile you missed. :) And hopefully in your state of delirium, you'll run into the arms of the right man at the finish line!!

MBN - Am I correct in assuming you've run a marathon before? That's incredible!

And ya, where is Cake???

My runs this week have been on the short side, but pretty good overall. 3 miles yesterday, 3.5 today, hopefully fun on Friday and then 6 on Sunday. I'm trying to make all of my long run at least 6 miles from now on, so I'll prob keep the rest of the runs on the shorter side (3-4) at least for now, and then build to make them 4-5. It's so weird, even under crazy stress, when my eating habits go to **** and I drop all other exercise, I strictly keep up with my running. It's great, but at the same time, I feel like my nutrition is not keeping up and it's kind of showing in my running. I haven't eaten any crap (no fried anything, chips, cookies, etc) but I'm just eating TOO much! Too much fruit, too many granola bars, and I can't stop! Kick in the butt please?? I just don't feel as strong and powerful when I'm running because I know I have all that extra food sloshing around in my stomach. It's just upsetting because I know I'm stronger than that and I should be able to control myself, but that's not what it seems like lately. Ok, sob story over. Have a good day everyone!

TakingCharge
10-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Haha, I meant to say hopefully "4" on Friday, not "fun", though I guess I hope those 4 will be fun!

Fat Pants
10-14-2009, 03:31 PM
Hey everyone!! Just checking in... MK are you feeling nervous at all for your race?? I'm sure you'll do just fine! :D

I ran 5.5 miles today!! :carrot: There is a trail right by my work and I finally just decided to make use of it. I completed it in 1hr05 which is exactly where I want to be for my 10k. This was a HUGE mental block for me... it's good to know I can do this and do it well!

MBN
10-14-2009, 03:50 PM
MBN - Am I correct in assuming you've run a marathon before? That's incredible!
Yes, I've done a full marathon (one). I am so very glad that I did it, just to prove to myself that I could, but I've decided that I much prefer half marathons. I think it is all the fun with less than half the work! ;) I've done around 9 or 10 of those (will have to count the medals!) and I don't even know how many shorter races I've done by now (5K, 5 mile, 10K).

Our running season is just getting going down here and I'm focusing mostly on the halfs this year -- I've signed up for 4 so far, and will probably do a 5th one too. That's one a month, November thru March, and they are all local. It's nice to have an active running scene! And then there's the 10K that I always do, and probably 3 or 4 5K's. And that will probably do it! :D

mkroyer
10-14-2009, 04:22 PM
SkinneyPants---WAHOOS on the 5.5!! you just "went for it?" Just like that??? :)

Am i nervous for my marathon?!! Are you kidding?? The warm fuzzy happy excited feeling ive felt since i started training last spring has been FULLY replaced with feelings of doubt, sloth, nervousness, fear, anxiety.......take your pick!
This is what i am most scared/anxious about--- My running has just exponentially improved this summer....a greater rate of success in just a few months than i ever dreamed would be possible at ALL......speed endurance, strength, everything. My friends/family/co-workers/trainer have come to expect *great* things from me. Every race i have done this summer i have gotten so much faster, and placed so much higher, culminating in that first place female win at that 10K a couple weeks ago. i have NO DOUBT i will finish the marathon! WIll it be hard? Probably. WIll It hurt? I dont know--most likely-- and im not scared about that. I can handle PAIN. Im worried mostly about having a dissapointing finishing time now. Im worried about coming back into work monday morning, and telling my coworkers i ran a 4:45 marathon. the truth is, i DONT KNOW what to expect. Ive never done a marathon. i have no idea how my body will react to that last 10K. I have no idea how my bowels (sorry) are going to behave marathon morning. Frequent stops at the porta potty over the course of 26 miles ADDS UP. ALOT. QUICKLY. If i have to make 3-4 or more pit stops, that could add up to an extra 20 minutes or more to my finishing time.
I know everyone will be *proud* no matter how i do, but seriously, i want to train to qualify for Boston next. My trainer has the expectations that i should have tried to qualify for Boston from the beginning. for THIS marathon. What if i dont......perform?? Will i even, in actuality, be dissapointed with a 4:45 or 4:30 marathon in the end, when its all over with? I dont know. I hope i would still be proud. But what if i have a bad experience, that deters me from ever WANTING to run/train for another marathon? The scar from a bad marathon isnt as easy to dismiss as a bad 10K race (no offense sharon!!!!!)
Is this what "theyve" been refering to as TAPER MADNESS?

mkroyer
10-14-2009, 04:26 PM
i wish i could run a "practice" marathon before my official marathon... :)

mkroyer
10-14-2009, 04:43 PM
For the last 2 hours i have had a sore throat that is getting steadily worse!!!!!
(emoticon for PANICKING) (Emoticon for HYPERVENTILATING)

dancerindenver
10-14-2009, 05:37 PM
mk - tea with lemon and honey and zinc losenges to fend off your cold! no way are you getting sick before this race!

fatpants - congrats on 5.5!!! :carrot: :carrot: Just got the tights and am going to try them out this afternoon.

We got back last night from a long weekend in SF but I was able to keep up running and hiking while I was away so not too much damage done. Happy running all!

TakingCharge
10-14-2009, 06:05 PM
MBN - Wow! Good for you! I can't wait to get to the point where I'm so comfortable running halfs that I do them every month! This past 10K was my very first race and now I'm totally hooked. I'm doing a half in February (though that seems impossible right about now) and then who knows where I'll go from there!

SkinnyJeans/Tights/Pants (hehe) - Damn girl! You are a freakin rock star! You just showed that mental block who's boss. Keep it up!

Dancer - Great job keeping up the exercise while in SF. Those streets are hilly so those must have been some tough runs!

Mk - You are NOT getting sick. Just repeat that over and over and over. And I second Dancer's suggestions. And make sure to get an insane amount of sleep! It's so interesting to hear about the mental aspect of marathon running, because as we all know, so much of running is mental, but I can't even imagine how much that's magnified once you get to marathon level. There's no way that you'll be disappointed in yourself after all of this, no matter what time you get. This is your FIRST marathon ever! You have the rest of your life to improve, to qualify for Boston, to train for ultramarathons, to push your body more than you thought possible, so make sure you enjoy this experience and take it for what it is - an unbelievable accomplishment, learning experience, mental hurdle, and hopefully one of the best days of your life!

DanaLou
10-14-2009, 09:39 PM
Reading your race blog post reminded me again how much of this is mental, not physical. I notice that all the time for myself but sometimes think I am the only one ;) My mind wants to quit long before my body does. It is just such a mind game. I keep hearing "you are not a runner" in my head and have to shut that out and listen to my body...that is RUNNING!!

SOOOOOO true! I remember back to basketball conditioning in High School and I would fake shin splints because I was sure I couldnt do it. Now I talk to myself so much while I run. My first (and so far only) 5K I trained on the treadmill thinking it was the same and OMG it was horrid. Everyone passing me and me having to walk instead of run alot! It took alot of myself to make it through. I was crying while running for a few minutes. Seeing my husband cut back across the grass to be with me for a lil bit and then at the end when he came back for me and we finished together. I was so very proud of myself for not quiting and felt SO blessed to have the husband I have. That was 6 months ago and I know that the next time I do it , I CAN do it!

mkroyer
10-15-2009, 08:43 AM
full-blown sick. i will stop fightng this. headache, earache, SORE THROAT (my boyfriend said he can see my glands are swollen just looking at me).:?:

momof5k
10-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Oh no!! Sending healing vibes your way :hug:

MBN
10-15-2009, 09:45 AM
full-blown sick. i will stop fightng this. headache, earache, SORE THROAT (my boyfriend said he can see my glands are swollen just looking at me).:?:
Oh MK, I'm so sorry you're sick ... :hug:

Here are my thoughts right now for you: First, rest and take care of yourself. Fluids, rest, good fueling and see a doc if you need to. 72 hours can make a huge difference in how you feel, your marathon is NOT blown. Relax, rest, and take it one day at a time right now.

Second ...yes, you are experiencing "taper madness". It's very normal. Runners tend to be competitive by nature, and even though we tell ourselves that we are running "just to finish", there is this little voice in the back of our heads that starts interjecting time goals. There's the pace we THINK we can probably do, and then there's the "stretch" goal, the one that we REALLY hope that we can achieve if the stars align and everything goes just right. That voice ultimately adds stress and pressure, because now we start to think that we won't be happy at the end of the day, unless we achieve some arbitrary time goal.

My sister also runs marathons, and she has a motto: "It's Always Something". Something is always a little off on the day: clothing, fueling, terrain, weather. We are affected by how we've trained, how we've fueled, how we've slept, and the phase of the moon (if you know what I mean). The weather could be glorious or crappy. Those new shoes that we thought we'd broken in aren't feeling right. That nagging knee pain is feeling worse. I should have had the bagel this morning and not that banana. I hate the gatorade flavor supplied by the race director but I need to drink it anyway. It's Always Something.

We put our best effort into the training, but on the day -- you have to just let go and see how it flows. Let go of time expectations. It doesn't matter what other people think. Just go out there and experience the moment. The bands! The crowds! The beautiful scenery. It is the best of times, and the worst of times. There will be a point when you are REALLY tired, but you will find the strength to dig down and keep going until the end. When all is said and done, the ONLY thing that is important is for you to go out and do your best, on that day, considering everything. This is a huge accomplishment and, frankly, your time doesn't matter one bit. You will have that big beautiful medal, and the pride and thrill of achievement. That is all that really matters.

For now, try to rest and chill. :D

Fat Pants
10-15-2009, 10:15 AM
MBN... wow. That was incredible! You're SO right about the little voice in the back of our heads that creep in and say "but wouldn't it be great if you finished in X time?" (Even though probably unrealistic?) :lol: I definitely struggle with that. Thank you so much for your inspiring words!

dancerindenver
10-15-2009, 10:40 AM
mk - hang in there! we are all rooting for you to feel better and make it through you race!

iDream
10-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Hello ladies! Sorry for being MIA, just been a bit overwhelmed lately. Still running, but still on the treadmill so I'm difinitely not loving it. :(

Sharon~ sorry your 10K wasn't all that great, but I'm super crazy proud of you for toughing it out!!:woohoo: I can't wait to read your blog!

TakingCharge~ you're beautiful hun! Congrats on your race as well, how I missed that you were having one I don't know!

SkinnyPants~ you're doing awesome! Way to tackle that trail hun!

MK~ Nothing but big giant *~*~*~*~Heathly Vibes~*~*~*~* coming your way!!! Congrats on a FULL MONTH of not smoking! That's fanfreakin'tastic!!! Take care of yourself hun, lots of fluids, take it easy, get this thing under control and don't count yourself out--you've got plenty of time to whip it and be healthy for your race!!

Okay girls, I know I missed a lot of you--but I need to get going. As I said, I've been beyond overwhelmed with stuff lately and my house has suffered big time! So I must get myself off of this computer and get crackin'!!! Have a great day everyone!!!

loquaciousjogger
10-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Did two miles: 8:30/9:30. Ugh, sleep deprivation from school work has been catching up to me along with calorie counting. I just don't have the energy with so little sleep. :( Hopefully tonight.. a good run! Going with my friend! :D

1LB TO GO BY FRIDAY! Then, I've met my mini goal for October! :) And I've lost then 10lbs aka 30% of goal!

The guy I'm dating picked me up (and kissed me) and I secretly said to myself, next time this happens...I'll be lighter! :dance:

mkroyer
10-15-2009, 02:38 PM
thank you all so much!! When i said above "its over" what i really meant was that i was accepting the fact that i was sick, and i wanst going to deny it anymore!! Im running this marathon even if i have the SWINE FLU!! (which i dont). My throat feels better (thanks to Ibuprofen?) but my head hurts still :(
Once again i have to wonder if im just being psycho-symptomatic (read: taper madness?)
On the PLUS Side, with nothing better to do here at home i figured out how im gonna do my hair for the marathon!! YAY!! I know, doesnt sound important, but it was actually giving me ALOT of stress. not that i care about looking cute (lets face it, im running 26 miles and will be DISGUSTING 5 miles in!) its just that i cut my hair this summer, and its TOO short to put in a pony, but too long to just leave down (gets in my face...its a very dramatic A-LINE with a big stack in the back--ITS SO AWESOME, best haircut ever). In any case, if i just wore a hat i was afraid it would piss me off for 26 miles, and if i just left it down, i would prob end up borrowing a spectators pocket knife and sawing it off by mile 10. The Fix--- two cute TINY little sad pig tails in the back with one of those rubber-bandy thin headbands that fit all the way around your head, to keep the front out of my face. Who cares, really, but at this point im grasping at little staws of positive...... gonna go take a nap now
ps did you guys know that the EMERGEN-C supplemnt stuff, they dont make a Sugar-FREE variety?? I dont eat sugar...bas**rds...

mkroyer
10-15-2009, 02:42 PM
MBN--thank you for deciding to jump into our little forum right when i think we (read "I") needed you most!! Tell me more about your marathon experiences??

mkroyer
10-15-2009, 02:43 PM
i luv all of you guys

sharongracepjs
10-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Still hibernating in my running funk but just wanted to pop up and say...MK! Keep your eyes on the prize! Don't worry about right now! Just do what your body needs you to do until you're standing on the starting line and then - GO! You've trained hard for this, physically and in your runner's spirit, and all that training won't let you down. I'm so sorry your body is being uncooperative right now, but just remember - your mind has the greater power! Stay focused on your goals and only listen to your body enough to make peace negotiations - but you keep the upper hand! We're all rooting for you...HUGS!!!!

Sylvied
10-15-2009, 03:39 PM
MK I'm rooting for you too. Perhaps this illness is a way of your body forcing you to hold true to your taper. You can so do this. Relax, be good to yourself and you'll make it.

On a personal note, I made it through another 5kms today. I think I've found a pace I can work with.

MBN
10-15-2009, 03:52 PM
MBN--thank you for deciding to jump into our little forum right when i think we (read "I") needed you most!! Tell me more about your marathon experiences??
You are welcome! I float in and out of posting, because life gets busy!

I can't quote the studies to back this up, but I believe that although regular exercise normally boosts the immune system, very intense training (like long 20+ mile runs) can stress the immune system because the training is so much more taxing to your system overall. Not a reason to stop training, but a possible reason why you are fighting something off now.

Oh gosh, what do you want to know about marathons? :D I like running halfs because I find that level of training is easier on me (I am considerably older than you!) and I still have time and energy to do all of the other activities that I like. My knees started bothering me when I got up to 18 plus mile runs, but if I stick to 16 or less, they are fine. I keep a long run base of 10-12 miles now, so essentially I can go out and do a half any time with no pressure. I just enjoy participating in the events. Sometimes I go faster, sometimes slower, but my time isn't the most important factor - participation is. I've had magical races where everything goes right, and I've had races that were bonk city. Note to self: DON'T kayak for 4 hours in the hot sun and then expect to break speed records in a half marathon the next day. :dizzy:

One of the things I did before my first marathon was to ask my family to email me their favorite motivational sayings. I printed them and put them in my fanny pack and carried it with me during the race. At mile 20, I pulled them out and read them and remembered everyone's good wishes and love. Those sayings became my mantra to pull me through those last difficult miles. Distance running definitely requires as much mental stamina as physical.

TakingCharge
10-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Feel better Mk!!! It seems like you're taking care of yourself and doing all the right things so you'll be totally fine by race day. Just please make sure to eat well and not worry too much about calories and all that business this week because your body is clearly craving fuel and energy! And keep up your great attitude because that'll get you through this even faster!

Loquacious - Nice speedy 2 miles! I totally know what you mean about school work and sleep deprivation..uh...I find that running is one of the few things that keeps me sane through it all though, so even if you can get in a quick 2 miles or a slow and steady few miles, it'll do great things for your mental (and physical!) health. Good luck with school!

Sylvied - Nice job on the 5k!

Sharon - I'm glad you're listening to your body and taking it easy with the running. Hoping you get out of your funk soon so you can regail us with more stories of your progress!

No running for me today. I ran yesterday (and Tue) and then yesterday went to my first boot camp class, which totally kicked my butt! The only problem is that there's a fair amount of running (warm up laps, sprints up a hill) and I'm afraid that more running on top of my 4 days a week will stress my shins. They're totally killing me today but I'm hoping that's just because I ran and had the boot camp yesterday, so if I don't do both on the same day (which is the plan), then I should be fine. I guess we'll see!

Smee
10-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Hullo ladies! Still very inspiring reading your posts- MK- get better! We're nursing a 12yo with strep in our house and it's been miserable.

I got the results back a few weeks ago on my ankle, and there is no major damage. So I've been steadily working it, keeping it limber, stretching, doing weight bearing exercises, etc. Today, I bought myself an ankle stabilizer that has a little flex in it so I can start with a slow jog starting next week. I have my friend here at work who is also doing the C25K and she has been doing awesome. She has been totally an inspiration, and we've been pushing each other as far as running, working out, eating right, etc. It's good having that support so close.

Since I'll be running again, I guess I can come back and start being more of a participant instead of the jealous-occassional-lurker ;) I'm digging reading all the posts :)

sharongracepjs
10-15-2009, 09:27 PM
Ummm guys, guess what...I RAN TONIGHT! and it was awesome! I'm so relieved to be back in my running zone. I was exhausted after work, and I didn't want to go, but I could tell my body needed it, and I just forced myself out there in the cold rainyness. It felt so good. I think I'm running much faster - I'll have to time a run this weekend to know for sure. I ran 2.7 miles to the library, returned my books, then 2.7 back, with no breaks except when I had to wait at lights. I'M BACK!!!

iriswhispers
10-16-2009, 01:52 AM
I haven't been running... my period got the best of me for the past 2 days. Saturday AM back on it - 6 miles planned!

sharongracepjs
10-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Iris - that's one reason why I made myself run. My period always destroys me and it's right around the corner. Good luck tomorrow morning!

In other news...FINALLY lost weight! All the pounds I've been losing and regaining are gone and I'm at a new low since starting this project in July. Feeling AWESOME today!

Fat Pants
10-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Hey ladies!! Happy Friday! :carrot: Anyone doing anything fun or exciting this weekend?

Sharon - I'm so happy you've gotten back into running... I felt the same way after my first 5k... in a running slump and disappointed from the race. I think it took a week or so for me to become excited/happy with running again. So I can really relate! And you know what? Now that you have your first 10k under your belt, you can work on improving your time for the next 10k!

MK - Two more days!!! I will be silently rooting you on from down here in the Springs!! :D

TC - How are you liking boot camp? I've thought of trying to find one here for when I get into an exercise slump...

Well I have two exciting things to share. One is that my DH and I were talking about going somewhere for our anniversary in December and I suggested Moab - it's 6 hours from where we are and I LOVE Moab... we went two years ago and have been wanting to go back ever since. I was looking up places to run and I saw there is a 10k the weekend we would be there! So now I just need to convince my hubby we should go and I am totally going to sign up for it! I would love nothing more than to race in one of the most beautiful places in the country!

Secondly, I had dinner with my friend who runs marathons and we discussed me doing a half marathon next May, and a full marathon next September/October. She helped me put together a training schedule (a long one, since I'm slow lol) and I'm officially starting next week! It's not so much the marathon itself but just sort of like... you know, I used to be so fat and out of shape. I just accepted that I would never be physically active, but since becoming a runner, I've discovered all these things that I was missing out on by being obese. It's not just EXERCISE, it's the act of being a RUNNER that encompasses more than just physical activity. If you asked me a year ago if I would be training for a marathon, I would have laughed until I cried. Like MBN said, it's not so much the time or how fast I go or all that, it's the sense of personal accomplishment from doing this. :)

Ilene
10-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Hey girls...

Wow, you gals amaze me and keep me motivated to do better...

Yesterday I went out and it was the perfect type of day for me 5c/41f sunny and bright with a slight wind... I did 5.15k/3.23miles with a 11.something pace, I was very pleased with that because I usually run 12.35 pace ....

Yay for the cooler weather...

mkroyer
10-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Fat---CONGRATS on a HUGE DECISION!!!!! talk about taking the plunge!!!!! What half in May and full in september are you looking at doing?? I have a couple suggestions if you havent picked yet...in May in Ft Collins is the Colorado Marathon/Hlaf MArathon. its a "downhill" half down Poudre Canyon into old town Ft Collins. Easy Course (but not overly well run, in my personal opinion, but still a good course) There is also the Rocky Mountain Half MArathon in June up here in Denver. A Flatish Course that takes you around Lodo in denver, and then out west a little bit then back into denver. Of course, for the FALL, i recommend the denver marathon. I know youre in the Springs, but for a marathon/half marathon i think the travel time is worth it.
Theres also Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half in August, which is usually FANTASTIC. i do NOT recommend the Boulder Backroads in September, personally. I DONT Like runningon Dirt, and its very hilly and full of.... BOULDER PEOPLE- UGH! Can you tell how i feel about People from Boulder?

Fat Pants
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
Fat---CONGRATS on a HUGE DECISION!!!!! talk about taking the plunge!!!!! What half in May and full in september are you looking at doing?? I have a couple suggestions if you havent picked yet...in May in Ft Collins is the Colorado Marathon/Hlaf MArathon. its a "downhill" half down Poudre Canyon into old town Ft Collins. Easy Course (but not overly well run, in my personal opinion, but still a good course) There is also the Rocky Mountain Half MArathon in June up here in Denver. A Flatish Course that takes you around Lodo in denver, and then out west a little bit then back into denver. Of course, for the FALL, i recommend the denver marathon. I know youre in the Springs, but for a marathon/half marathon i think the travel time is worth it.
Theres also Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half in August, which is usually FANTASTIC. i do NOT recommend the Boulder Backroads in September, personally. I DONT Like runningon Dirt, and its very hilly and full of.... BOULDER PEOPLE- UGH! Can you tell how i feel about People from Boulder?

LOL hahahaha. You're preaching to the choir.... I live in Colorado Springs. How do you think I feel about people from Boulder? :rofl: :lol:

A couple ones I'm looking at: my friend has done the Ft Collins Half and she recommended that one because it is downhill. My original plan was to do the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half but that's one month before my planned marathon, so I'm not sure that I want to do my FIRST half marathon just a month before. I'd like to have at least 2 half mary's under my belt... so I'll probably do the Ft Collins Half and Georgetown to Idaho Springs.

For the marathon I'm considering the Crested Butte to Gunnison (Mountain Air Marathon) in September - it's a small marathon but it's down hill and Pikes Peak Road Runners suggested it for first-timers. If not that one, then probably the Denver Marathon in October.

sharongracepjs
10-16-2009, 02:31 PM
Skinny Jeans - woot!!! What an exciting goal! I know you'll do great!
I might ask you later for more details on how you planned a training program. I'm flirting with the idea of a spring or summer half marathon...

Ilene - sounds like such an enjoyable run! Congrats on the pace increase!

MK - how are you feeling??!!

TakingCharge
10-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Sharon - Yay for getting back into running AND losing weight!! Talk about double whammy!

Iris - Have a good run tomorrow!

Ilene - Way to go on the new faster pace! It feels so great to beat your own personal best and really push yourself. Great job!

Fat Pants - WOW! You are hard core! There's really no better way to challenge yourself with running than signing up for such amazing races and working towards them. And you already have a plan and everything! I'm super impressed with your dedication. And I'm totally with you about never really thinking I could be an athlete, but as it turns out, we are! Keep it up girl!

I'm really liking the boot camp. My arms were soooo sore after that first day, but on the other hand, my shins were really sore also. Though I just got in a 4 mile run and my shins felt pretty good, but I've been icing them like crazy so I think that helped. If it ends up being too much running, I'll prob just ask the trainer to give me something else to do while people are running, but I don't wanna be lame and seem like I can't keep up (I know, I shouldnt' care what other people think, but still!) so I'll stick it out for a bit and see how I feel.

iDream
10-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Good evening ladies!

MK~ hope you're feeling better today!!! I hope a million times better!!

Sharon~ Congrats on running today! So nice to hear you're back in the game!! :carrot: And Bravo on the weight loss! Nothing like smashing through a plateau to make your day!!

SkinnyPants~ :woohoo: on the upcoming Anniversary trip! That's so cool!! And I hope you're able to talk hubby into you running the 5K--I'm sure he'll go for it! Secondly, how awesome that you're training for marathons!!! WOW!!!

Ilene~ congrats on a great run! Isn't it great when conditions are just right? :)

TakingCharge~ boot camp has always intregued me. I'm not sure I could commit to it though. I'm not great at getting out of bed at the crack of dawn (my girls wake me up mulitiple times a night and I can't count on hubby to make sure I'm up and out of bed on time) and I'd hate to pay for it and not make it. I think it would be a good idea to sit out the running portion if your shins bother you too much--gotta save 'em for your runs!!!

Well, I finally got outside for a run today. I really had to talk myself into getting out of my cozy warm bed to brave the 40 degree weather--go ahead and laugh, I'm a big baby about the cold :lol: Once I got out there I was warmed up in 5 mins so I'm glad I didn't wear a sweatshirt or anything (even though hubby told me I should). I made much better time than I have been on the treadmill, might have run it close to 30 mins, but I had to stop and tie my shoe then I had to re-tie it because it was too tight and then there was the car backing out of the driveway I had to slow my pace for...sheesh! :lol: So I ended up closer to 33 mins, still way better than the 45 it takes me on the treadmill! Why on earth do I run slower on that thing?!

Anyway, been really trying to decided if I'm going to stick it out through the Winter or not. I just don't see me braving snow and ice to run and I really, really hate the treadmill. Plus, doing the P90X schedule is hard with running to add to the mix, just not a lot of time to squeeze it all in sometimes.

Sigh...I dunno. Someone smack some sense into me!!! Maybe I could drop a day of running, but still do it 2 days a week? Maybe I should drop the HIIT and just do running? Ack!!! I can't make up my mind!!! :crazy:

Well, enough of that. I better get going. Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!! I'll be checking back in tomorrow to see how MK is feeling and how everyone's doing. Anyone got a race this weekend? Besides MK that is. :)

mkroyer
10-16-2009, 09:48 PM
i feel alot better you guys!! Thanks so much for the concern.... Not sure WHAT was going on...maybe taper madness manifesting itself in psycho symptomatic illness (ie, freaking about the marathon caused my subconscious to MAKE ME feel ill?) Maybe i really WAS coming down with something, but since i have such a great immune system (we ALL do, from all the running) i was able to fight it off before it got worse? Maybe cuz i tapered down to NO running at that point, my body just kinda "relaxed" and let the bugs come in...i dont know....but i DO feel alot better...a little congested..... I ate a half a cookie yesterday afternoon and ive felt better ever since!! Whatever THAT means!! :)
So, went to the expo..picked up my bib and shirt and other race swag. I splurged on myself and bought a long sleeved, lightweight girl tech running shirt!! I will consider it a b-day present, and hey, i only run ONE FIRST marathon, right? It was 50 bucks but i know i will get alot of use out of it this winter, plus it will make a great base layer for skiing......i prob shoulda bought TWO i ski and run so much!!

iDream
10-17-2009, 12:46 PM
MK~ so very glad you're feeling better!!!! I can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow!! :carrot: Congrats on the fancy new shirt!! A totally justified purchase! :D

No run for me today. Decided to only do HIIT when I'm feeling extra energetic and keep the running up as long as I can. :)

Have a great day everyone!!!

TakingCharge
10-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Idream - Good job on your speedy outdoor run! If you're not really feeling the running or it seems more of a chore to fit in with your busy schedule, then just take a rest from it! For me, running is (usually) a joy and a much needed escape from everything so I couldn't give it up, but if it doesn't serve that purpose for you, if it's just another exercise, then just go with P90X and HIIT and fit in running when you can until you really feel the desire to get back to it. It should be fun! Let us know how it goes!

Mk - OMG, tomorrow!!! I'm so excited for you!!! KICK BUTT!!!

Today is glorious rest day for me and then long run tomorrow. Well, not long compared to Mk's marathon! Maybe that's what I'll use as motivation to get me through 6 miles...Mk is running 26 miles right now and I can't even finish 6? Haha!

iriswhispers
10-17-2009, 03:47 PM
yeeeesh, that was tough 6 miles! And in truth we only ended up doing 5.8 because that was two laps around the park. BUT I stuck it out even though I wanted to give up and just walk, so I'll be proud about that!

I'm thinking I might hit the gym again, just need to fit it into my budget. I want to train on the treadmill a bit because I can set my pace, plus it won't bother my allergies like running outside does.

Ilene
10-17-2009, 06:07 PM
Good luck and vibes MK ... Kick butt :hug:

momof5k
10-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Yes, good luck! We will all be thinking of you :) :hug:

mkroyer
10-17-2009, 08:31 PM
Thank you guys!!! Im totally freaking out right now.........im scared....

iriswhispers
10-17-2009, 11:00 PM
You will do GREAT, mk!! =)

Fat Pants
10-18-2009, 12:21 AM
GOOD LUCK, MK!!!! We are all rooting for you and can't wait for you to be back post-marathon to tell us all about it! You will do fantastic - you have trained for this. you OWN those 26 miles!!!

I'll be cheering for you from about 60 miles away! :cheer:

sharongracepjs
10-18-2009, 12:48 AM
In 13 minutes it will be MARATHON DAY! Go you!!!!!!!! Finish Line, get ready for MK! She's on her way!

mkroyer
10-18-2009, 07:26 AM
i slept alright guys.... 4:23. I have a HUGE HURTY zit on my chin!!
oh!! HAppy BDAY to me!!

Thats kinda funny. Ive been SO WRAPPED UP in the marathon, that ive been awake for over an hour now and i JUST realized to day was my bday... :)

I will let you guys know ALL ABOUT IT!! WAHOOS!! its MARATHON DAY ( ieven ought a cheesy "marathoner" bumper sticker at the expo on friday--will wait toll AFTER to put it on)

Luv you guys!! Thanks for all your support and well wishers!!!!!

momof5k
10-18-2009, 09:23 AM
Happy birthday! Can't wait to hear how it went :)

iDream
10-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Happy Birthday MK!!!! Good luck today! I can't wait to hear all about it!!! :cheer: :woohoo:

midwife
10-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Happy Birthday, MK!!! Best wishes on the race!

TakingCharge
10-18-2009, 03:13 PM
Mk - Happy birthday!! Wow, what a way to celebrate! Can't wait to hear all about the race!!

Hoped to run 6 miles today but only made it 4. Kind of a bummer, but I just really had no energy and was tired throughout the whole run. I might try for a longer run during the week but I have my 10K next weekend so I might not push it. We'll see. I guess it happens!

mkroyer
10-18-2009, 03:45 PM
HEY ALL!!! :) :) :)

I couldnt have asked for a more fantastic day!!! WOW. I need to regroup here and think this out thoughtfully, but let me say, i HAD A BLAST!!! I had SO MUCH FUN the ENTIRE TIME. It was awesome, incredible, fantastic. People/runners kept stopping me and telling me i looked like i was having a blast ( i was running with the goofiest grin on my face i guess!) My daughter made me a bright sign that i wore on my back saying "wish me happy birthday" and people DID!! ALOT! In the starting corral the people all around me sang happy birthday to me.
I held true to my splits and my game plan from the get go....a 9 minute mile avg. I finshed, according to my Garmin, in-----------3 :58!!!!!:carrot::carrot: My garmin also told me i ran 26.51 miles!!! My official time is going to be around 4:05, or so. ( i stopped my watch when i went potty, 3 times). Right now, my BUTT is KILLING ME, but i ran so strong the entire time...it wasnt till i stopped running that i started to feel sore. the weather was incredible too you guys. just WOW. Everything. WOW. :) Im on cloud nine right now. i will write more about this later.

mkroyer
10-18-2009, 03:48 PM
trying to attach a couple pics....did it work?

jayjay77
10-18-2009, 03:54 PM
I just ran my first 5K today! I have been lurking and posting a little on this thread and you are all so insprining and helped me get through my first race.

As they say "it was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Weather was horrible 45 degrees, rainy, windy. The 5K was a cross country up and down lots of hills. Before the race I asked a few people -- how will I know where the trail is and they assured me there were guides who would point us in the right direction. WRONG! Five of us slowpokes got completely lost and had to consult one lady's GPS to point us in the right direction! Then we asked a guy on a mountain bike directions. Finally we made it out of the woods and I have never been so happy!

So I'm not really sure if I ran 5K or more or less, but I'm counting it as a victory! I was so dazed by the end of the race I have no idea what my time was except that it was very slow. But at the end of the race I got a gold medal for being first in my age group, of course I was the only one in my age group running, but still it was fun to end the race that way. I can't wait for my next 5K but I think I may wait until spring LOL!

MK -- happy birthday! Hope the marathon is fantastic!

jayjay77
10-18-2009, 04:24 PM
MK -- congrats!! A 4 hour marathon is fantastic! Love your pics -- you look beautiful!

TakingCharge
10-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Jayjay - I love your quote to describe the 5K! I'm so impressed that through getting lost and all the other obstacles, you made it through and finished with a medal (who cares if you were the only one in your age group?)! Seriously, that's a great accomplishment and your next race will be even better!

Mk - OMG! You are so freakin gorgeous! And your daughter is adorable. CONGRATULATIONS on finishing a marathon!!! Wow, what a day. I hope you have an incredible birthday celebration. You sure deserve it! I'm so happy for you!!

Ilene
10-18-2009, 11:27 PM
JayJay -- Congrats!!

MK -- Congrats too!! Great pics, you are definitely gorgeous :yes:

iriswhispers
10-19-2009, 12:15 AM
GO MK!!!! Awesome time! And happy birthday! You and your daughter are both BEAUTIFUL! =)

jayjay, congrats on your first 5k!

momof5k
10-19-2009, 01:02 AM
Congratulations MK and jayjay!! First marathon and first race! Way to go!!

iDream
10-19-2009, 07:31 AM
MK~ Oh I'm so happy you had a wonderful time!! You're beautiful and yup, you sure look like you had a blast! :) Your dd is adorable, how sweet of her to make you a sign!! Congratulations on a fantastic time too! You did it!! :carrot:

Jayjay~ congrats on your first 5K!! What a bummer that there weren't guides there to show you the way! And sorry about the icky weather too, but ya know what? All of that just makes it a bigger victory! :)

MBN
10-19-2009, 08:14 AM
MK - totally awesome time!! I am SO glad that you had fun with it, that's what it's all about! And happy, happy birthday!

JayJay - congrats on your first 5K! You did great, and just figure that the next one will have to be easier!

Fall finally arrived here in South Florida with our first real cold front. The previous Sunday am long run was 82 degrees and very humid, yesterday morning's run was 60 degrees and windy! What a change! It was a bit chilly to those of us not used to this, but a wonderful change of pace from hot and sticky! We did a cool, quick and fabulous 12 miles.

Happy Monday running!

sharongracepjs
10-19-2009, 11:38 AM
MK - AMAZING! What a great birthday gift to yourself!! I'm so proud of you! Thanks for sharing the pics - your joy of running is very contagious. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Fat Pants
10-19-2009, 12:07 PM
Congrats, MK!! That's a fantastic time and it sounds like it was a near perfect (if not perfect) race! How sweet of your bf and daughter to make those signs! Well now that you're no longer a marathon virgin..what's next? :D ;)

Jayjay- great job and congrats on your first 5k! You should be very proud of yourself... are you looking to any more races this year?

sharongracepjs
10-19-2009, 12:08 PM
PS - Sorry to be discouraging, but I heard about this last night right before bed and I'm still feeling kind of demoralized and saddened by it - three runners died in our Detroit marathon yesterday - three guys running the half marathon, one in his 20s, one in his 30s and one in his 60s. Full article (http://www.freep.com/article/20091018/SPORTS23/91018016/1318/3-runners-die-in-Detroit-marathon) My heart goes out to their families so much...

jayjay77
10-19-2009, 02:02 PM
Thank you for your kinds words and support everyone! Now I will have to work on speed. No more races planned this year, but definitely want to do another 5K or maybe even a 10K in the spring.

Sharon -- that's so sad. Will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.

Fat Pants
10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Sharon - I read about that last night and couldn't believe it. THREE people, two in their 20s and 30s... unreal! :( It sucks that something that is SO good for you and your heart can sometimes go awry...

mkroyer
10-19-2009, 07:00 PM
My biggest fan, and showing off some bling!

dancerindenver
10-19-2009, 08:12 PM
jayjay - belated congrats on your race!

mk - all hail to the running goddess! girl, you rock, you run like the wind (for hours and hours) and you're beautiful - what a combo!

just got back from a long weekend in santa barbara and am firmly planted in CO again (no more travel for weeks) - managed to fit in a couple of runs along some bridle paths (for horses) so you're running on mulch about 8-10 inches deep. Nice and soft for my shins but kind of like running in the sand. Glad to be back to my usual routes.

sharongracepjs
10-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Was fired up for a 5 mile run this morning, after an incredible 4-miler yesterday.

Things went great for about 3 miles...then the 4th mile totally killed me. My legs were just done. I pushed myself to the 4 mile mark and then took a short walk break...during which I puked! Barfed right in the parking lot of a bank! I blame TOM for this - I was awake and in agony all night, and my tummy still feels odd and unhappy.

Needless to say, I did not finish that 5th mile :p. But I feel not quite as horrible as I usually do for first few TOM days, so I'm glad I got at least those 4 miles!

Happy Tuesday, ladies! How are your runs going?

TakingCharge
10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Dancer - Sounds like you had a nice trip!

Sharon - Sorry to hear about your little "incident" after the 4th mile...haha. It's never happened to me, but it seems like a rite of passage for every runner, so it seems like you're officially in the club! Hopefully your next run is a little better.

I officially drafter a half-marathon training schedule (16 weeks away!) so today I was supposed to run 3 miles but ended up with 3.5, mostly because I didn't look at my schedule before I started running. Oops! I had my boot camp again last night and am sooo sore! My shins are also really unhappy and I mentioned to the instructor that I need to take it easy with the running and he was very receptive, so I think I'll cut out the running at boot camp so my poor shins can rest between my training runs. 10K this weekend! Woohoo!

momof5k
10-20-2009, 09:03 PM
I did four miles today (with a brief walk interval when my teenager's school called me GGRRR!!)

It felt great!

iriswhispers
10-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Ok I am really slacking on the running - 6 miles sunday but nothing since! I need a kick in the rear...

TakingCharge
10-21-2009, 02:08 AM
Iris - Get out there and RUN!! Youll feel like a million bucks after, even if you get in 2 or 3 miles. Hope to see you back here tomorrow with a run report! :)

Fat Pants
10-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I've been slacking, too...only ran twice last week! :( But I ran on Monday and will be doing 5 miles today at the gym..it's snowing and windy here, much too windy to venture outside! I saw a guy at 5:30 this morning running in the snow/wind.... in SHORTS! I don't know if I'll ever be that dedicated!

mkroyer
10-21-2009, 11:28 AM
Hey all you Fabulous runners out there!
Thanks for all the compliments about the pictures....Seein myself in my marathon pictures made me realize just how much weight i HAVE lost!! I look UBER skinny in some of them!! :)
Anyways, i havent posted at all since cuz i havent been able to run, and im in a funky funk. God, i WANT TO run, DESPERATELY!! This gym cardio machine thing isnt doing it for me!!
Heres the thing---- sometime during the marathon, around mile 2 or 3, i developed ANOTHER stress fracture in my foot. It bugged me during the race, ALOT, but i got some advil from my sis when i passed them on the course, and that really helped. Then the endorphins kicked in, etc, etc, and i didnt really even remember that it bothered me, untill monday morning and i went to get out of bed (wanted to *try* and run a few miles to loosen me up) and i couldnt bear ANY weight on my foot at all. Yesterday, same thing. ANd my foot was swollen directly above where the pain was/is (on the outside and lower part of my foot, kinda near the ankle, but closer to the base of my foot). So i go to the doctor. He does a phyisical exam and tell me its *probably* a jones fracture, which is a particular type of stree fracture of the fifth metatarsal. this is REALLY bad, and the worse kind of stress fractur eyou can get in your foot, because it WONT heal easily like other fractures do. This one requires a cast, and possibly surgery. Unfortunately, the only way to know for SURE is to do an MRI, which is like 1400 dollars. However, im not letting him put a cast on MY FOOT for 4-6 weeks unless he knows for SURE its a fracture (telemark/ski season is getting ready to start!). SO the game plan is im supposed to "rest" (whatever that means) no running--not that i can, and wait a week or two and see if it heals up (he said its *possible* i traumatized the tendons/ligaments, etc and that it was not the dreaded fifth metatarsal fracture). If it still bothers me in a week, or if it goes away then comes back right after i resume running....well.......i get a boot i guess!! SO LAME!! i am READY to start running again, and bring it to the next level, whatever THAT means......GGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

mkroyer
10-21-2009, 12:53 PM
here are yet some MORE marathon pics.....The event photographers LOVED taking my pic for once!!!

mkroyer
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
now that i know how to post pics, i want to show you guys a picture of how i looked just this past MAY--as in 5 months ago.....

at about 11% or 12% higher Body Fat than i am now......

sharongracepjs
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
Wow, MK!! Amazing pics! What a transformation! You look awesome in the May pics...but absolutely UNSTOPPABLE in your marathon pics!

So I gotta ask...especially with your fracture!! What were you thinking during the race? Did you hit any "wall" points where you wanted to stop? What was your mental game?!

Total bummer about your foot. I will be wishing you speedy healing vibes!

Ilene
10-21-2009, 01:35 PM
MK - Oh My, sucks big time about the foot... Love your pics!!

I'm going running in about an hour...

mkroyer
10-21-2009, 01:53 PM
Sharon--no wall for me...i didnt struggle at any point AT ALL, if that sounds weird. I trained well and executed my "race strategy". I ate a big breakfast, and downed the energy goos every 5 miles, no matter how i felt. I chose to drink the sports drink at all the aid stations, and filled up my water bottle i carried with water. My foot started hurting about 2 miles in or so, but i was able eto ignore it...ive run through injuries and pain before. By ignore it, i mean i tried not to think about it, and still enjoy the race. Around 4 miels in i FINALLY Settled into my 9 minute pace, and felt very comfy and content. I had to repeatedly hold myself back, but once i got in my groove, i was able to pay attention to EVERYTHING ELSE going on around me instead!! Passed my cheering family at around mile 10, and then between 10-14 i started to feel my foot more and more. The pain was becoming a bit of a struggle, but also the mental aspect of those "middle Miles". Id already gone so far, but i had A LOT further to go. Around mile 15 my BF suprised me by popping up, and that helped perk me up, and then when i got to mile 17, the rest of my family was waiting, and i was able to get some advil from my sis--it almost felt like she slipped a little cocaine in with it, becausei became unSTOPPABLE after that :) The pain was gone, and i had renewed enjoyment!! After i passed mile 21, i really started DROPPING my pace faster. I felt great, i knew i had a LOT left in me, and that was the plan anyway, for the last five miles. At this point im starting to pass a LOT of people who are really struggling. People walking, limping, hunched over, rying, just doing godawful, and it only got worse. By about mile 25 i had dropped my pace down to my 10K speed- about a 7 30 or so, and im just FLYING past everyone else. I had to have made up a good 7-9 minutes those last 5 miles. The last half mile i gave it everything i had and came flying into the finish chute so fast my family almost missed me!!! They were expecting me to be struggling, and i guess some of the other runners had family members come out and run that last .10 of the course with them, for moral/physical support, and they were prapared to do that for me too. They DIDNT expect me to be running at top speed :) After that it was endorphins all day and i didnt even think about my foot that much till the next mornign..... :(

dancerindenver
10-21-2009, 02:51 PM
mk - loved seeing the pics of you, you look great in both but what a change in muscle definition - wow! So very sorry to hear about your foot troubles! Fingers crossed that it isn't the dreaded fifth....

TakingCharge
10-21-2009, 05:03 PM
Mk - Love the picture comparisons! You looked great before but you have such great muscle definition now! I'm hoping to look like that after my boot camp is over...haha! So sorry to hear about the potential stress fracture. Take care of yourself and hopefully it'll heal on its own. I can't believe you felt so incredible during the whole race! Did your bf spike your coffee in the morning?? That's really amazing though! I'm so happy it went so well and you accomplished this amazing goal! Can't wait to see what's next! :)

Nothing exciting to report here. Did some yoga, went on a walk, boot camp tonight. I was gonna take tomorrow off running and only do 3 days this week because of my 10K on Sunday but I think I'll get in a short run tomorrow. I just bought my first pair of running shorts and can't wait to try them out!

How's everyone doing? In the running mood today?

mkroyer
10-21-2009, 05:20 PM
taking--what type of shorts did you buy?? Ive found i am only able to run in ONE single pair (not sure if you noticed, but i have the same ones on inall my pics!) The rest PISS ME OFF!! Good idea wanting to try em before your race this weekend though. Finding out 1 mile in to a 10K that they ride up , or make your thighs chafe would super suck :)
I used to take bootcamps!! I was gonna do one again this winter, but ive since decided/realized that training/running needs a YEAR ROUND place in my life, and not just a spring/summer/fall one. i absolutely LOVED doing the bootcamp.. SOund slike yours is also a partially outdoor, partially indoor thing?? How far do they have you guys run?? (im sure its dif everytime). I was asking becuz of the shin issue. If you guys run *far enough* cant you just count that as your run?? The one i signed up for, being able to run at at leaset a 12 minute mile and being able to "keep up" were prerequisites. If you couldnt, then youd just take the next step down class, whcih was still an AWESOME class, just all indoors. If you wanna get uber ripped real quick, make sure your doing BOY pushups, and not GIRL pushups, at least until failure, and THEN switch to girl pushups!!

TakingCharge
10-21-2009, 05:50 PM
If you wanna get uber ripped real quick, make sure your doing BOY pushups, and not GIRL pushups, at least until failure, and THEN switch to girl pushups!!

Hahaha! Such good advice. Boy push ups are crazy hard but so worth it. There's only one level of the boot camp and it's actually all outdoors. So far, we've done resistance band stuff, pushups, triceps dips, squats, abs - the usual circuit training kind of thing. There's not a lot of running at all, prob 1 mile at most, so I definitely can't use it as a daily run. It's not long or hard, but it's just enough to irritate my shins on their day off. It hasn't interfered with my training runs at all, but my shins are just more sore after the run, which is annoying and will prob only get worse as my runs get longer! Last time, I skipped out on one of the laps he made us run and instead he gave me some extra ab stuff to do, which seems like a good option. The other stuff gets my heart rate up more than enough! Did you do strength training during marathon training?

About the shorts, I got Oasics, only because they were on sale! I figured I'd get cheaper ones to try out and if I like running in shorts, I'll do some research. I love buying new running stuff but yikes, it's so expensive!

Btw, how do you feel being smoke free for this long? Hopefully great! :carrot:

mkroyer
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
i did a LOT of strength training during marathon training, until the last month or so, then my trainer refused to do heavy weight training with me... . . . I could FEEL all my hard earned muscles turning to FAT! :) I generally strength trained about 3X a week, on avg. Now that the marathon is over, im going to up it to 4 X a week. This goes hand in hand with the quitting smoking thing though, i need every little bit "extra" metabolic boost i can get, ya know?

Quittin smoking===fantastic, btw. Im down to cutting my patch in half (just doing that for a couple days before i go completely off the patch--def by this weekend. The RASHES the patches are giving me is KILLING me.
The shorts i run in are Under Armour. Had em since i started running a year and a half ago. Wont run in anything else....but ive got lots of other expensive pairs that have been delegated to around the house wear....all pissed me off for one reason or another.... Good luck on your 10K btw!! Are you hoping to do about the same as your last one??
Not much time in between to train to increase speed.....

As for me, i am digging through lists of marathons, trying to decide whats nextt. Conventional wisdom says one marathon every 6 months at most, so 2 a year. Im pretty sure id be ok squeezing that down to one every 4 months. The problem is finding one between now and late spring/early summer. Looking at RocknRoll Phoenix in January (thats pretty soon---three months) and the NAtional Marathon in DC, in March (thats SO FAR away though, time-wise). Plus i need to find one to try and qualify for boston at(must be flatish, and have GREAT crowd support)
The time being , soon as my foot allows me to run (hopefully within the next few days??? ---fingers crossed) im going to train to shave as much time as possible off of my 10K, and still maintain maybe BI-weekly long runs of 15 or more miles, so i dont lose my ability to run long. Soon as i settle on a marathon i will do a training plan designed to shave time off my marathon...... hmmmmm.....then ive been thinking about getting into Tri's and Ironman...... :)

loquaciousjogger
10-21-2009, 06:36 PM
Wow, mkroyer, you look AMAZING. You look like PURE muscle. DAMN.

I hope everyone is doing well... I miss running :(

I haven't had any time lately... too much schoolwork and other obligations. Getting back on the running train next week! :)

TakingCharge
10-21-2009, 07:03 PM
Mk - Glad to hear you're doing so well with the quitting smoking! It seems like a marathon in 3 months is sooo soon but I can understand how you wouldn't wanna wait until march. Maybe you can do a couple of halfs until then? I'm sure it's not the same and you obviously know your body better than anyone else, so I'm sure you'll make the right decision!

For my 10K, I'd obviously like to run it a little faster than last time, even if just a few seconds so I can say it's a PR! I'm just gonna give it a go and see how I do. If nothing else, it'll just be another Sunday long run, which I haven't been doing much of lately and I really need to get back into it. My training plan calls for 7 miles next Sunday so I really have to step it up!

Loquacious - Good luck with all your work! Hope you can get back into running soon!

caroline1
10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
i've been lurking here for a while and am so motivated by all you guys!!--what an inspiration at ALL levels.
i am kinda nervous--i just signed up for my first 1/2 marathon which is in a week and half--i'm not looking for time--just to finish kinda strong (for me)!!
i have been running two longer runs each week 6-7miles and a 10 miler with a couple days of rest and a couple days of 3 milers--don't seem to have any trouble with them--sometimes my legs do get quite tired the day after a long run but no real aches or pains--i average just under 10 min miles no matter what distance i run--i think i'm in a rut!!

well i hope you all don't mind me joining in your conversation--if it wasn't for reading about how you all do i never would of had the nerve to sign up for a race!!

thanks for your inspiration~caroline

MBN
10-22-2009, 06:34 AM
Maybe you can do a couple of halfs until then? I'm sure it's not the same and you obviously know your body better than anyone else, so I'm sure you'll make the right decision!

Don't discount the half marathons -- they are loads of fun!! They are my favorite race distance. Also, there are an increasing number of half-only events (rather than half and full), because the half marathon distance is so popular. It's easier to train for and easier on your body, but you get all of the fun of an "event". Plus you can do more of them with less wear and tear. During last year's running "season" (Oct-Mar) I did 5 half marathons, one 10K, and three 5K's without injury. For some reason, when I hit those >18 mile runs, that's when my knees and feet start to really feel it. That's one of the biggest reasons why I stick to the halfs - my body handles the training better. I train with friends who love the marathon distance and do several a year, so I would never discourage anyone from going for that. I just know what works for me.

MK - I'm so sorry about your stress fracture and here's hoping that it heals soon!!

I am excited because I am nearing the 1000 mile mark for the year. I joined the "1000 miles in 2009" thread and started tracking for fun - I hadn't tracked my running mileage for several years. The last time I tracked it, I made something like 750 miles, so this is definitely the most-ever miles in a year! It makes sense, though, because I've consistently run more weekly mileage this year than I ever have. If I do the planned 16 miler on Sunday, and my other usual shorter runs, I should hit 1000 miles by the end of next week!

Fat Pants
10-22-2009, 11:21 AM
Ok, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who is starting to incorporate strength training into their running program. I've lost 55 lbs but I'm still so flabby (except for my legs of course, LOL). Anyway two weeks ago I started with the strength training and even though I'm cursing for DAYS after doing squats and lunges I can totally tell it's having a positive effect on my running (which is really the goal anyway, right?) They do not get fatigued as nearly as quickly now and I can go for longer, faster.

Which brings me to an interesting point. It's been difficult for me to figure out how to diet (restrict calories) and still fuel myself properly for running. If I restrict too much I don't have any fuel to run. If I don't restrict, my weight loss slows or stalls. I think I'm finally starting to figure it out but we'll see. I HAVE figured out that I don't restrict the day before a race and that gives me a lot of extra energy.

Which brings me to my last point. I forgot I'm racing on Saturday! Just a 5k, but the weather should be great and I'm excited to race! I had a GREAT run on the treadmill yesterday (unusual for me, I hate running on the TM) so now I'm pumped!!!

mkroyer
10-22-2009, 11:27 AM
MBN-WAHOOS on the 1000 miles!! You are hitting it way early too! Congrats! :) Ive never tracked my mileage, cept weekly mileage!
Im not "discounting" a half marathon. i do REALLY enjoy the distance, and i would love to shave some time off my PREVIOUS best ( i KNOW i could shatter that now). My trainer has me running up to 2 half marathons a week in the morning before work (we used the distance for lactic threashold training). I enjoy running those "middle" distances---10K to half marathon--because they are still challenging, but short enough that i can really work with pushing the pace. In anycase, no halfs OR fulls around here in Denver till the spring, and im not going to TRAVEL anywhere to do a half. I think its only be worth the travel exepnses if i was doing a full, Soooooo.......

Loquacious--sorry you havent had training time!! it will pick up next week though! No worries!!! And thank you for the compliment!!! Ive worked SO HARD to bring my BF down enough that now all my muscles stick out!! :) Its a good thing!

TakingCharge---I think you should go for a PR on that 10K!!! I bet you could PR by more than a few seconds!! Try starting out running the first half of it at your "normal pace" then try pushing during the second half, JUST A LITTLE BIT faster, like 10-15 seconds per mile, or even faster if you feel comfy!! Its called negative splitting.

Caroline--so glad you decided to join us!!! Are you running the NYC half, or is it a different one?? I think with the training plan you just described you will do really well!! Have you run further than 10 yet? There no worry if you havent. You seem more than strong enough to go those extra 3 miles, NO PROBLEM! :) How long have you been running? Will this be your first Hlaf? First race?

mkroyer
10-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, i managed to eek out 2 miles on the treadmill (couldnt contain myself, and i NEEDED to know how my foot would feel). The verdict? Foot was angry, foot DID NOT like running. HOWEVER< i found that when i substantially increased the incline on the treamill, up to between 3% and 5%, my foot stopped bothering me. Im sure its becuz i strike with a different part of my foot when runninguphill. SO at least now i know i can run hills on treadmills. Cant do em too fast or anything, but at least with running uphill im getting a pretty good workout! :) I will try treadmill running again on saturday, i guess. DOnt wanna try outside yet. Maybe in a week or so if it keeps feeling *ok* on the tread.... BLghhh.

mkroyer
10-22-2009, 11:36 AM
FatPants--once your body gets used to the strength training, if you wanna REALLY help your leg strength/running strength, then start incorporating plyometrics into your leg days. Its just another form of LActic Acid threshold training, and you will see improvements FAST if you start doing them, both in your plyos themselves, AND in your running!

You are the ONLY PERSON ive ever met who *Forgets* they have races coming up!! :) Good luck on it!!!!

Fat Pants
10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
FatPants--once your body gets used to the strength training, if you wanna REALLY help your leg strength/running strength, then start incorporating plyometrics into your leg days. Its just another form of LActic Acid threshold training, and you will see improvements FAST if you start doing them, both in your plyos themselves, AND in your running!

You are the ONLY PERSON ive ever met who *Forgets* they have races coming up!! :) Good luck on it!!!!

I think the program I'm going to start on Sunday (ChaLEAN extreme) incorporates plyometrics but I'm not 100% sure. Either way it might be easy to incorporate them!

Yeah, I have so much going on right now that I keep forgetting about racing in two days! It's good for me, though... it gives me less time to be nervous about it. :)

TakingCharge
10-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Mk - Thanks for the advice on my race. Sounds like a great plan! I'll give it my best shot and hopefully have good news to report back. Glad that you got in a short run today without too much pain! Hope you feel better soon!

FatPants - Good luck on your race!!!

No run for me today. I've been running around in heels all day (not actual running, haha) and my shins are just not having it, so I don't wanna freak them out too much before the race. An extra rest day won't kill me! Have a great weekend everyone!

iriswhispers
10-23-2009, 02:19 AM
I've been avoiding this thread a little bit since I haven't ran since SATURDAY... but I did do 2.25 miles today on the treadmill. I just feel so slow and out of shape. I never felt this way when I first started running! I think the issue is that when I'd never done it before, every accomplishment was new and exciting for me. After starting to run again after not doing it for awhile, I think I am just frustrated that I'm incapable of picking up where I left off.

Anyway - saturday group training is 8-9 miles. YIKES! I'm really afraid I won't be able to keep up.