Weight and Resistance Training - Boo! October 1- 15

View Full Version : Boo! October 1- 15

Mel
09-30-2009, 09:14 PM
And the question to start the month is...where is Alena???? has she zumbaed off into the sunset? Is she lying like a squished Tomato under a bench press bar? Inquiring minds want to know!

And the other question is who is buying all that Halloween candy that has been in the stores for the last 3 weeks and how many times are they re-stocking before Halloween :o:o?

My new favorite exercise is a kettlebell Two Hand Any How (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjbvcrCdW2U). Learned it today with no mishaps :carrot: I haven't tried it with dumbbells, but it's probably not all that different. I was using 18 pd kettlebells and it was hard work.

Make this month count! What is YOUR goal for the month?

Mel

nelie
09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
Mel - I gotta try that move!! I don't think I could do it though.

My goal is to be 100% on plan with counting my calories every day!! As for fitness, my goal is to practice practice practice and improve my karate kicks. I also need to stretch to improve my hip flexibility.

We went to karate tonight. It looks like we can go to multiple karate classes per week even if we only paid for one class per week. We did lots and lots of kicks and I definitely have room for improvement.

jamsk8r
09-30-2009, 10:34 PM
OMG, Mel, that exercise sucks! I tried it with 15 lb DBs, and had to go back to 10s to get one...could not get the squat deep enough with that one 15 pounder overhead. Fun! I'm going to rest and try again with the 15s.

Yeah, Alena, what is the deal? Where have you been? :hug:

I stayed home from the gym today, but got some details of the workout from a friend of mine...it was row 300, tire jumps and pull-ups, but I forgot what she said the reps were.

I made up a home version that I thought was good enough, but didn't worry about running a timer today:
10 Double-Unders
30 box jumps
15 jumping pull-ups
3 rounds

I counted missed attempts on the DUs if they were close, like when I jumped and it went around almost twice and whacked me in the toe...ouch! I got 5 successful DUs the first round, 6 on the second, and 7 on the third round. I was pretty happy with that, since I am still learning these, and some days can't seem to get even one! At the end I did the sit-ups for my challenge, 55 today, still unbroken, but barely...the last 5 reps were torture. Normally, this would be NBD, but with no rest days on the sit-up challenge, they are getting tough!

I think I'll go try Mel's crazy exercise again...ETA, I got the 15s. That is a surprisingly hard movement! I'll have to try it at the gym with their KBs.

Nelie, sorry, missed your post, because I took so long to send this one. I think it's great you're enjoying the karate so much! I bet it's a great workout, too. My goal is the same, to stay OP with the food!

silverbirch
10-01-2009, 01:50 AM
My goal is the same, to stay OP with the food!

And mine! I thought I might have managed to lose one pound in September but NO.

Have a good day, everyone. :wave:

WaterRat
10-01-2009, 01:55 AM
Evening! :wave: I'm glad to see Alana,but where have you been??? We missed you. :)

Well, the gym at lunch time (12:30-1:30ish) was as quiet as 5:30 am. Seems like everyone must come later in the day. Works for me! Had all the equipment I wanted to myself (unlike Monday when I was working in with guy on the cables). I'm still feeling a little puny, and will go to bed early (well, if I'd get off the computer I will). Tomorrow is a rest day in any case so I can sleep til 6. :lol:

Mel - that KB exercise looks like a killer. We don't have 2 KBs the same weight at our gym, but I think it could be done with DBs.... May have to try,but I suspect I'd have the same problems as Cheryl with being able to squat low enough.

Nelie - Great job on the karate.

Okay, my goal for October is to get back on track with food. I've been falling into an afternoon carbfest for the past few days, plus not enough in veggie dept. I think it's the onset of the cold weather and darkness. I just need to push through and give myself some :kickbutt: when I feel like curling up and eating bon-bons or their cousins! On that note I am off to bed while it's still relatively early.

Mel
10-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Wow- we all seem to have the same issue. My goal is the FOOD. I will be 100% on plan M-f with 2 cheat meals on the weekend. Prlems has been that the entire weekend has been one long cheat- kind of a holdover and extension of my BFL days where I took it too literally!

That move works with dumbbells. I tried it last night after I posted. I used 20's for about 2 reps before I dropped to 15's just to see if it was doable. There are a few variations I've seen which are even harder!!!!:o

Mel

Shannon in ATL
10-01-2009, 11:13 AM
Add me to the problem with food list... :( I have got to be more OP this month. I wasted 200 calories last night on junk on top of the takeout cheese pizza that we had for dinner. I planned for the pizza, but certainly wasn't planning on using most of my evening snack calories on hershey kisses and mary jane peanut butter kisses. Had been planning some healthy kashi with yogurt, but nope. I do often plan higher cal treat days, where I make myself crazy is when I do an unplanned one last night.

Mel - I've watched that video several times now and I can't wrap my head around the sequencing. I'm going to watch it some more and try to do it with dumbbells on my evening workout.

Nelie - that is cool that you can go to multiple classes per week!

Cheryl - what are you doing to learn the double under? I've been trying and haven't even managed one. When I speed up my hands to swing the rope faster I always start jumping faster, too, then I trip on the rope or lose my balance and it gets all crazy.

Hi Birch! :)

Pat - I would figure the gym to be busier in the lunch hour, that is cool that it wasn't! Hope you feel better today.

Alena - where are you?

I did 45 minutes of cardio yoga after DSS went to bed last night. I usually don't find time to exercise when he is over - the garage is right below his bedroom so too much activity in there keeps him awake, which means I try to fit exercise into this arbitrarily decided space between dinner and bath which seldom works. The yoga worked well - closed the door to our guest room downstairs, rolled out the mat, sweated like a crazy person, HRM says I burned 300 cals. The workout is one I've done before and is pretty darn hard - Yoga Fitness Plus w/ Elise Gulan from Exercise.tv. It has at least 20 chaterangas (yoga pushups, which I do from plank, not from the knee modification), side planks, one legged chairs, lots of balancing up on one foot with the other leg pointing in crazy directions, lots of downward facing dog, those kinds of poses. Haven't done it in several weeks and am definitely feeling it today! Only missed my September exercise goal by about 100 minutes, which isn't too bad considering I took 10 days off in the middle of the month!

Good day all!

nelie
10-01-2009, 11:28 AM
This is definitely entering the difficult part of the year for me. I struggle a lot through winter which was one reason I had thought about joining crossfit for the winter. I'm happy with karate though and I think that'll be my exercise focus. My real focus is to get into the next size down on a gi (white karate outfit). My husband actually wears the next size down (he is a small guy). I put on his outfit last night and it was definitely snug.

Even though I don't have a lot of the holiday food issues that others may encounter, I still tend to eat more in the winter. Maybe it is evolutionary in the 'eat what you can when it is cold as food is scarce'. My goal this winter is to get below 200 once and for all. It'll be a change from the usual 10 lbs I gain in winter.

As for karate, both my husband and I are sore in places we didn't know existed. We were doing kicks last night and wow I got so exhausted but I was having so much fun!! My pants even started to fall down and I didn't realize it...:o

silverbirch
10-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Cheryl & Shannon: is the double-under a skipping move that I call the crossover?
If so, let me brag that I quickly did 4 without really trying at the gymn today. Heads turned! Haha. My technique is to do 3 singles, jumping on both feet, and then 1 crossover, going faster BUT thinking it's slower. Repeat until you trip.

This is where I find you mean something different...

Food. Although I eat loads of veg already, I plan to eat even more, cooked in different ways. The DB, when he shops with me, now chooses a 'star' or 'celebrity' vegetable unrelated to the menu which we work in somehow. It's adding to the variety.

Have a good evening. :wave:

WaterRat
10-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Even though I don't have a lot of the holiday food issues that others may encounter, I still tend to eat more in the winter. Maybe it is evolutionary in the 'eat what you can when it is cold as food is scarce'. My goal this winter is to get below 200 once and for all. It'll be a change from the usual 10 lbs I gain in winter.

This is me too Nelie. There's just the two of us, so no big holiday hoopla. We have both Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners with friends, so no huge leftovers. We go to a couple of small parties that I usually do pretty well at, so I think the whole thing is just winter - it's cold and dark and d**n it, I want to eat. :lol: I need to get better at planning (how many times have I said that??) and sticking to the plan. I KNOW what to do, I just need to do it. I have 9 weeks left on my 6 month program, and I have made great progress, so I don't need to stumble now. I'm thinking I'll sign up for the next session as well. It starts in January and would help me on the final stretch back to goal I think. It would certainly keep me accountable through the winter. :)

Shannon in ATL
10-01-2009, 02:59 PM
Birch - I don't think the double under and the crossover are the same thing. The DU passes the rope under your feet twice per jump, the crossover, well, crosses over. :) I can't do those either. Me and jump ropes have a love-hate-more hate relationship. This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0z9SoHCPGM) has double unders and crossovers in it.

jamsk8r
10-01-2009, 04:15 PM
Birch, I think they're two different moves, as Shannon said, but that's still impressive. :carrot:

Shannon, one of the guys at the gym who is really good at these, says to just jump a little higher than normal, and keep the jump there, learn to whip the rope faster. I've tried that and had no success yet, but that might be good later on, for developing more DUs in a row. For now, what I've been doing is what some of the other guys from my gym showed me, which is to do 2 or 3 single jumps, then for the DU, I kind of "ball up" on that jump, and whip the rope. The idea is to do single-single-double-single-single-double, etc. So far, after the DU, I usually hit the ground so hard and without grace that I can't keep jumping, lol, but I'm working on smoothing it out. I have long hair and wear a ponytail, so one problem I have with straight vertical jumping is that the rope tends to hit my ponytail. Tucking it under a sweatshirt helps, but then mostly I whack myself in the toe if I miss, and those stinking cables hurt! You definitely want a speed jumprope or a wire/cable style rope of some sort that will really whip around. A lightweight cotton/poly rope just can't spin fast enough. At home, I just have a length of electrical cord, like you'd have on an extension cord...it was a scrap, I just cut it to length and hold the ends so they don't spin at all...the wires inside are flexible enough that it spins around without getting all twisted out of shape, and it's heavy enough that it will spin fast. Not as good as a real speed rope, but it works.

So, I have about 1 pound to go till I'm under 160! I've been POP with the food the last few days and the scale has been very cooperative. I keep waiting for it to say, "psych!" and bounce back up, which I'm sure it will, but it would be very nice if it showed me a 159.8 first! :lol:

Today we had a focus day on balance stuff and gymnastics...being monkeys on the rings, which was fun, and some superman style planks, v-sits, stuff like that. I meant to try Mel's move with the KBs, since it might be easier (they have handles that are higher off the ground, compared to my DBs), but ran out of time today. Still need to do my 60 situps for today.

WaterRat
10-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Hmmm, I can tell there's a difference but I can't see the rope passing twice under his feet. (Crossovers we did as kids all the time, no problem) So really you're trying to jump higher to stay up while you speed up your arms to get around twice while you're still up? Not me! I can't really jump rope at all any more as my knees can't take the shock. Too bad, it's great cardio. My DH made himself a really cool jumprope that's exactly the right length for him (he's only 5'3") and uses the aerobic classroom at the gym to jump.

ETA: CHeryl we were posting at the same time. I guess I had it right on how to do it. My DH made his jumprope out of nylon rope with some sort of plastic tubes about 1" long each over it. I don't know what he used for handles. I can ask him if you're interested. He's made a couple for other people too.

Mel
10-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Double unders elude me also. Mostly I whack myself in the back of the head with the jumps rope if I get the double, or trip over it. Many parts of my body dislike the jump rope! The guys who consistently do it well at my CF say to jump higer and try to push your legs out in front of you (kind of like the kipping motion in a kipping pull up) so that your feet stay off the ground a little longer.

I actually walked out of CF today before the workout started. We rent space in a Grand Slam which is batting cages, a big basketball court, and a big area that can be separated with nets for pitching practice. And a noisy video arcade. All the CF equipment is in the netted area, well away from the video games :) For the umpteenth time, we were kicked out of our space onto the basketball court, which is a long trudge from where all our equipment is. So on those days, the workouts are always wild metcon, usually with some single kettlebell or medicine ball exercise. I really wanted to LIFT today and the workout was single arm renegade rows, mule kicks, and sprints around the bb court. YUCK. and YUCK again. I went home and did chest and back. I already did cardio intervals this morning and didn't feel like a second dose. Hopefully, the space situation will be changing very soon :cf:

Have any of you who have problems in winter tried using a light box? I started using one 3 years ago, and I think it really does help. I dug it out of the closet about 3 days ago when I remembered.

Have a good night!

Mel

4rabbit
10-02-2009, 01:29 AM
Hi ladies,

Food and dark issues as well in the high south of the Lowlands! I, still in the Venuto book, and I like the idea of gradually changing habits.
I'm into workout adding now, and the next step will be to clean up the food act.

Re lightbox: I got one better: It is called a wakeup light. Its from Philips and it wakes you up by simulating a bright sunrise. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh2g4IjHIiU
The light gradually increases in intensity and I have a bird choir chirping me awake. The light is very bright and I guess this helps me. I've used a light box before but I like this better.I got the newer model from this one, like the styling more.

Weights -at-home today, Did cardio yesterday. So far no results on the scale. I tend to be hungrier and snack more, so that's the next step. I'm re-installing the bowl of carrots in my fridge.

ETA:Killer workout today: 20 mins run followed by weights. I was dripping wet 10 mins in. AND the scale has budged! Both weight and bodyfat are down. Patting myself on the back here. and i had a lightbulb moment when studiing the calorie tables in the venuto book. I guess I've been eating way more than I thought I was. like double the amount. so that will be the good habit to add next week: estimate calories and tally them in my head up 5o my calorie budget.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
10-02-2009, 07:30 AM
Yay Rabbit!!!! :dance:

jamsk8r
10-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Morning, all. :coffee:

Got up on time for once. You know, for years, forever it seems, I've always read a book after lying down, to "help me sleep". This is from my years and years of high carb eating, no doubt, when I really could not sleep at night. Lately, I've noticed, if I try to read, it actually just keeps me awake longer. If I just lie down, turn the light out, I'm asleep in about a minute and a half. :lol3: So, this is a lesson for me. No more reading at night unless I've tried sleeping first. This could help me get on an earlier wake-up schedule, which I'd like very much.

Rabbit, congrats on the weight/fat loss! Sounds like the Tom Venuto book is a good one. I haven't read any of his stuff yet.

Food is still POP, but the scale is back up today, probably because we didn't do much of a workout yesterday. Oh well, maybe on the next dip I'll see 159-something. It's not really important, the number on the scale, but I feel like, I just want to "finish" this thing all the way, so I can say I did it, and move on to maintaining within a few pounds of that, KWIM?

Mel, sorry to hear about the workout getting messed up at CF. I hear you on that. I love what CF does for me, but some days it's not what I want to do at all. (pretty much any day that's not heavy lifting or strongman :rofl:) I'll now consider myself lucky that we have our own gym, since I can do some of what I want in my warm-up, if I get there early enough, and we at least don't have to haul our equipment somewhere else to do the workout. Maybe they'll get big enough they can move out of there, soon. :crossed:

I'd better finish up here and hit the road. Might actually have time today for a good warm-up and some oly lift practice.

Shannon in ATL
10-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Mel - that is annoying about your CF workout! I don't blame you for bailing on it.

Cheryl - Reading doesn't help me fall asleep either, keeps me awake like it does you. You'll make that one pound in the next couple of days, I'm sure! :)

Rabbit - :high: on the workout! I used to use one of those gradual light clocks with the bird sounds, but at the time I was getting up when it was already starting to get light outside so didn't work too well for me. I also found myself desensitized to it when I heard actual bird sounds outside. :) Now that I'm trying to get up in the dark I might roll it out again.

Birch - I should have given you a :high: in my previous post for doing the crossovers! Impressive! They are also beyond me. :)

:wave: to everyone else!

I tried Mel's two hand exercise with my dumbbells yesterday, couldn't keep the 15 pound in the air for the squat part, switched to the 12s, made the squat but then fell flat on my behind when I tried to stand back up. :) Should have tried it at the beginning of the workout instead of the end. :dizzy: I also tried the DU again and thought I had accidentally done one (was mistaken, I know now), got excited and wrapped the rope around my head. That put an end to the jump rope for me.

One of the exercises in my WH workout was a 'Bulgarian Split Squat'. I'm doing it off the middle step if a stepstool, so right at 18" high I think, the exercise said not to go higher than 18" with the step. How in the world do you stay balanced on that kind of exercise? Is the intire top of the foot all the way to the ankle supposed to be on the step, or just the toes? Do you lean forward a little holding the dumbells? I could only do three or four before I tipped over every time.
http://i429.photobucket.com/albums/qq12/ShannoninATL/th_BulgarianSplitSquat.jpg
- The Wednesday WH workout a day late. (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/belly-off/pdfs/wh-wednesday.pdf), about 40 minutes. I tweaked it a little - where it had side plank resting on the forearm for 20 seconds I turned from full plank with my arm extended and held for 30 seconds, shortened the rest between each exercise a little, kept in the rest between each set. Next time I'll put push ups in on the plank t-reach like Pat's workout, didn't think of it last night.
- Several attempts at Mel's exercise
- 10 15lb db curls, 10 15lb db shoulder presses - thought for some reason they would help with Mel's exercise
- 1 more failure at the above exercise. :)
- 3 mins of jumprope, attempting the DU, hitting myself in the head
About an hour total, HRM said it burned 527 cals. Feel pretty sore today, so the WH workout was more effective than I expected it to be just from reading it.

Shannon in ATL
10-02-2009, 11:55 AM
I just watched the ketteball exercise video again - I'm thinking actual kettleballs would be easier than dumbbells because I wouldn't have to get as close to the floor to pick the kettleball up! Might not fall backward onto the bottom that way! :lol: I think I know what I did wrong, going to try again when I get home. Need to put the video out on my iPhone.

midwife
10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
Shannon, I've done those split squats and they kicked my quads' butt. (Do quads have butts? :lol:) I did it with my toes on the step, not the top of my food. My toes are flexed, kind of how they go when you stand on your toes. Boy it's hard to explain these things in writing!

Shannon in ATL
10-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Midwife - I felt like my quads' butt was kicked last night, so I believe mine must have one! :rofl: I found myself getting a cramp in my left foot when I had it up on the step, but I had most of my foot on there. Hm. I might need to step further out with the lead foot and try to use mostly the toes.

Depalma
10-02-2009, 02:18 PM
There will be some forward lean on a Bulgarian Split Squat, but it shouldn't be excessive. An easy check is to be mindful of the where the weight is distributed on your plant foot. Try to keep the weight on the heel or at least midfoot. Just focus on weight on heels, chest up, and shoulders back and you should be fine.

A fun variation of the Bulgarian that I recently saw and now prefer is the Wall Split Squat
http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/five_new_exercises&cr=

WaterRat
10-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Morning! It was a cold one this morning, 20! :brr: But it's :sunny: and in the 50's now.

Depalma - thanks for the wall split squat. Seems like it might be a little more stable. I always do BSS on the bench of the cable station so I can have the post right there to grab if (when!) I start to lose it....

I decided to do another cardio today which will put me back into the program schedule as written starting tomorrow. I get so confused as to which day I'm on as opposed to what they're talking about. :lol: That makes tomorrow, Mon and Wed as strength day, with Sun and Tues as cardio, and next THurs a rest day.

Shannon - Interesting about your trial with Mel's exercise. As I said, our gym has only 2 KBs at all! and they're different sizes, so I may try it with DBs. We do have some that are larger, though still low enough weight (10#, 12#).

Mel - bummer about the CF workout. I'd have done the same.

Cheryl - reading only keeps me awake if I'm reading something really good and can't stop. :) I do sleep with my MP3 or iPod most of the time. The music or podcast turns my brain off from worrying about work. I find that I really only hear about 5 minutes then I'm asleep. I did locate the "sleep" function on my MP3 so it shuts off in a predetermined number of minutes and doesn't exhaust the battery.

jamsk8r
10-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Hey all. :wave:

Shannon, was going to say what Depalma said, but he said it better. Great job on the workout!

Midwife, I'm pretty sure every muscle in my body has a butt. :lol:

Pat, I used to go to sleep with the radio on, but same problem as with the books, keeps me awake if it's remotely interesting. Back in the carb insomnia days, I'd listen to Coast to Coast, which was often entertaining.

The CF report is below:
--------------

Today was a hero wod for a former member of our gym who was killed in the Phillippines (sp?) a few days ago:

"Jack"

Run 400 meters
15 Thrusters
20 Pull-ups
- 5 Rounds for time -

Some of the guys got this one in 20-30 minutes, but it took me 44:49. :faint: It was like the Fran from Heck! I started out with 65# for the thrusters, which was the rx'd women's weight, but it just felt so heavy today, I could only get 1 or 2 at a time in the first round. I did about 8 the first round and decided to switch to 55#. MUCH better, so at least I could do a few at a time. I had to go up one band on the pull-ups, back to the pink band, because our trainer took the tape off the pull-up bars, which makes it slick and hard to grip. Everybody has seen their pull-up numbers/progress knocked down with the tape gone, but in the end it will be a good thing, at least for the people that go to competitions and such...for the rest of us, well, it will just suck and take longer to get our pull-ups.

I came home and had a higher carb PWO meal, plus a little extra protein. It was all good carbs, though, no cheats. I've been POP with the food, but felt weak today, so not sure what the deal is with that...just soreness from another workout, or diet, but maybe the extra carbs/cals at lunch today will help? If I still feel this way on Monday, I'll run my menu by my trainer, to see if he can spot what I might be missing.

Still need to do my sit-ups for the challenge today, then am skating tonight. Hopefully I can skate tonight, lol. Right now I just feel like I need a nap. :faint:

Mel
10-02-2009, 08:46 PM
I'll have to try the wall Bulgarian. I do wall decline push ups like that and they are killers.

I do a bizarre combo of a Bulgarian split squat with a deadlift using a barbell. It kicks quads and butts. Too hard to describe and I can't find a picture.

Shannon- When you get good at the Bulgarians, try putting the foot that is supposed to be on the floor on the round side of a bosu :devil:

Tonight's CF workout kicked all of me. I think I was actually moaning during the workout, and was woozy and shaky about 5 minutes after the workout. I thought I was going to faint and one of the trainers brought me apple juice.

This workout is long and designed to completely confuse your body about how to generate energy. It's the rests that actually make it harder.

"Barbara"

20 pull ups (I used the purple band)
30 push ups
40 sit ups
50 body weight squats (butt to paralette)

rest precisely 3 minutes .
5 rounds for time

During the working phase, you are near the anaerobic threshold. During the resting, you body attempts to frantically generate energy via the the glycolitic pathway, then you fling yourself back into anaerobic mode. As someone else posted on the cross fit board

"the extended rest allows for a much more complete recovery of the phosphate/creatine pathway, much like a max effort barbell lift, allowing you to power through the first few reps of each movement. This is a heavily glycolitic workout like FGB, with cumulative aerobic stress, but with the longer rest period of 3 min vs 1 min, you train the ATP refueling process as well. Gobbledygook, ramble ramble...."

There was some clean up involved during the morning sessions :p so I guess almost fainting isn't that bad. :dizzy:

Mel

Shannon in ATL
10-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Depalma - Thanks for the info. I'm intrigued by the foot on the wall version. I might find it easier to balance that way, actually. Going to give it a try.

Pat - I'm a day off track on my current program, too, and it has me a little off, too. Did I tell you that I did the walking lunge with opposite shoulder press again last week and couldn't keep them straight for anything? I was raising the same arm I was stepping with, or trying to raise both arms, or stepping the same foot forward twice in a row... I really thought I was more coordinated than that... :dizzy:

Cheryl - hope you feel better! The extra at lunch should help some, I would think.

Mel - BSS on bosu? I think not. Glad you didn't contribute to the mess to clean up this morning! ;)That workout sounds brutal.

Went to the park this afternoon, cardio day for me too. Did 5.5 miles, of which I only walked 1.15. (.5 warm up, .5 cool down, .15 in the middle.) I thought it was pretty good for my first long run since Labor Day weekend!

Good night everyone!

jamsk8r
10-03-2009, 03:03 AM
Mel, you're scaring me. I haven't had to do that one yet! :brr: Glad you didn't puke, though! :hug:

Shannon, the extra at lunch did help, I think. One more workout to make it to rest day. (drag...crawl...collapse.. lol)

65 sit-ups done today...figured out how to fake an "abmat" using a lumbar cushion from the car. Worked great. The last 20 were torture, but I got the whole set without stopping.

3 hours of skating done. Lots of dance practice. Survived a visit to Taco Time without getting anything for myself, and made it though skating without buying anything, even though I was so hungry the last hour. (yay, me!) Ate a little ground turkey and a banana when I got home. I'm drinking one cup of tea, then off to bed. Shouldn't have any trouble sleeping tonight! :faint:

silverbirch
10-03-2009, 03:07 AM
Morning!

Quick post to report I got to the gymn 5 days last week! Alternating cardio & FB. Must also tell you I *did* lose in September - all 1.5 lbs of it which I see as a victory. The scales have moved today, as well.

Rainy day today with clearing up after builders in view. Tomorrow is a local produce market and beaches,, to look out for mostly C19th wrecks (DB's history project this term. )

Have a good weekend. :wave:

ETA :wave: Cheryl!

4rabbit
10-03-2009, 03:51 AM
Morning all!

Hi Birch, it's nice to see you are up and about! Kudos on the gym attendance & the loss!.

I'm still stiff a bit form the wo yesterday. Cardsio for me today. I'm undecided about going out for a run, staying in for a run or rowing in front of the TV. Ah, decisions decisions!. I made a great pow smoothie yesterday: banane, OJ, soy yoghurt & proteine powder. Delicious. a funny thing is that DS took up strenght training at the gym and beats me to the blender, the soy yoghurt and the proteine powder these days. It has not crossed his mind yet to wonder that my kitchen is stocked with smoothie material & a blender, & that there is a bench & weights outside his bedroom door. I wonder if he thinks all his friends have likewise at home.

Shannon- I remember the BSS from when I did NROL. Difficult movees & a killer on the legs

depalma - I like the wss, looks like something to try.

No real plans for the weekend apart from grocery shopping. I need to do a ton of chores to keep the house in working order. Maintenance on my computer system is long overdue. not to mention that I woke up at bird squeeking, so I'll have to search the house when I get up to dispose of the body. We have an enthusastic young cat & live in the country.

What are you all doing this weekend?

have a great day all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
10-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Birch and Rabbit, just missed you last time, so a retroactive :wave: going your way. Got 7 hours of sleep, feel like I need about 7 more, or a LOT more caffeine, to get this day going.

Today is gym day...workout this morning, then cleaning the gym after that. Expecting a check in the mail today, and the mail thieves have been at it again on my street, about a mile from here. Trying to decide if I should skip the workout to wait for the mail, or make an extra trip home between the workout and gym cleaning. :chin: I have a locking mailbox, but haven't had time to buy concrete and install it yet. I need a clone.

WaterRat
10-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Did I tell you that I did the walking lunge with opposite shoulder press again last week and couldn't keep them straight for anything? I was raising the same arm I was stepping with, or trying to raise both arms, or stepping the same foot forward twice in a row... I really thought I was more coordinated than that...

Keep practicing Shannon. I did it much better this week. Actually did it correctly for one whole set... :lol:

Cheryl - let me know when you figure out that cloing thing - I could use one! Hope your check makes it without being hit by the mailbox thieves.

:wave: Rabbit and Birch. Great job on exercising.

We have cold and rainy weather here too. DH has gone out on a round of errands which he swears will end at the gym. I'm doing laundry and baking some zucchini bread to take to a square dance in ANchorage tonight. When that's done I'll be off to the gym for what looks like a reasonable circuit, but I know will :kickbutt: 5 sets of front squats, step-ups, push-ups, reverse push-ups (my personal nemesis), and roll-outs. Oh well, what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, eh? :)

Mel
10-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Gym done, cleaning done, and I'm all dressed up and off to a wedding. After yesterdays 250 squats, standing in high heels is a challenge!

I had a great food week...but now my dress is actually loose in the top which caused an underwear crisis! Why can't I choose where the fat comes off first :rofl:

Mel

WaterRat
10-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I had a great food week...but now my dress is actually loose in the top which caused an underwear crisis! Why can't I choose where the fat comes off first :rofl:

Mel

Choosing where the fat comes off is right up there with cloning yourself! I want both! :) have fun at the wedding Mel!

jamsk8r
10-04-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey all. Not winning today. The good news is, there's no possible way tomorrow could suck as bad as today did! :lol3:

4rabbit
10-04-2009, 04:07 AM
Cheryl :hug: on the sucky day. I 'm sending good vibes :vibes: for today.

I made my workout commitment for this week. In view of yesterdays less than stellar performance I just did 30 mins of BW exercises and yoga. it has been a while since I did yoga and this has proven again that I am much less flexible than is good for me. On the plus side, I'm now able to feel that.

Next week I want to add another good habit: tallying the calories along the day so I will keep within my calorie budget. I'll not go around with scales and measuring cup but I have memorized some dimensions & numbers. I knew this all along but I need to actually do the math for it to sink in how much I can eat. and I'll prepare my munching veggies bowl today.

Mel- enjoy the wedding!

Re clothes falling off: I only lost a couple of pounds but it feels like my jeans are falling off my butt. Time to get out the smaller ones from the bottom of the closet. I actually do not get this as the jeans were fine, even thoight at the previous time at this weight.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
10-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Rabbit, I guess all that exercise is tightening everything up! Last time I was the same "size" I am now, I weighed 135 lbs. That's why I had to keep adjusting my "goal weight", lol. Good luck with your new habit, and congratulations on the weight loss/smaller pants size!

Wow, reread my post from last night. This is what comes of living on chocolate milk and beef jerky and staying up too late, sorry! Deleted most of the whining and ranting so the rest of you could be spared!

Today's plans are a movie with my boy, Costco shopping and some cooking, and picking up the new couch. Might do some kind of workout, since I missed yesterday's, but it will be a short one, or just lifting.

WaterRat
10-04-2009, 01:30 PM
So yesterday's WO went pretty good - at least I was sweaty at the end (okay, less than midway :lol: ) and I'm sore this morning. In the evening we went to dinner at a friend's and then square dancing for 2.5 hours. Not quite aerobic, but plenty active.

TOday is a Hawaiian brunch at different friends' house, and this afternoon hopefully one of the last bike rides of the season. It's very overcast but not raining, and not too cold. We'll see what the afternoon brings (9:30 am now).

Good job, Rabbit. I've found the same as you and Cheryl on the sizes. Yay for exercise!

Mel
10-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Cheryl- I didn't read the pre-edited post. Hope whatever is wrong was fixed up by a good night's sleep. If not, feel free to whine :hug:

Rest day today. Hahaha, what a misnomer! Chore day, really.

Mel

silverbirch
10-05-2009, 02:54 AM
:wave: Good morning! And please share my joy that there is a lower number on the scales! Oh yes. But this has led me to yet another trousers (pants) crisis. They aren't falling down yet but they're held up with a turquoise silk sash. Sometimes my style is haute fancy-dress. I don't care.

Rabbit and Pat - good to be in the same club as you.

Cheryl - I read your unexpurgated post & sent good vibes. Here are more. :vibes: Er, I hesitate to um remark but could a wider range of food than CMilk and BJerky help??!

Mel - hope you had some rest & not all chores.

:wave: to everyone else. DB is off school today (undefined under the weather-ness which I think is actually a growth spurt) & there's lots of stuff to be done post builders. No gymn which is not so good.

Hope your day goes well.

4rabbit
10-05-2009, 03:23 AM
Hi all,

Birch - good to see you!. I'm sure staying at home for general UW-ness will work wonders for Bs growthspurt. And congratulations on the latest fashion statement. Also congrats on getting the builders out.

Mel - hope you had some fun apart from the chores

Hi :wave: to Cheryl and Pat

I've been a good girl and did not celebrate the recent loss & smaller size. This has been my undoing at previous times: so overjoyed that I lost that I immediatelt undid all the work. So I hopped on the treadmill this morning and put in 30 mins run. Tonight will be powerclass. No wo tomorrow as I have a work related meeting 2.5 hours drive from here, but I'll be able to make up for that by biking to work on wednesday and joining my friend at a gym class. The wo plan is laid out for the week, and I will be practicing my new good habit of the month: talying calories over the day so that I know where I'm at. Over the weekend I have consistently lost track about 3 pm, and I hope the more structured working week will help me improve on that.

Also, I dug the smaller size pants out of the bottom of my closet. Now to put the big pants away, and keep them there! I also tried out my skinny jeans. No go. I could get into them but I couldn't button up. Still, 1 size smaller (even if these are stretchy) is good, I declare this a nsv.

What are all your plans for the week?
Have a great day all,
rabbit

nelie
10-05-2009, 10:40 AM
So I bought and received the starting strength DVD. This morning I was doing squats. I definitely can't go as deep as others on the video and my arms complain about the lifting of elbows and back adjustment but I like it. My physical therapist told me early this year that my squat is good but I think I may be obsessed with squats.

jamsk8r
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Birch, definitely better food would help. The diet kinda crashed and burned the past two days, just due to being on the road too much and no time to cook anything portable. I will try to do better this week!

Mel, it was NBD, just the guy I work with at the gym is a lazy one, and the mess he left me at the gym just made that job about 2 hours longer than it should have been. I'm hoping they really mean to fire him soon, as he's worse than worthless at cleaning. :(

:wave: to Pat and Rabbit (just since I have to go soon)

Yesterday we got the major bits done: workout clothes laundered, Costco trip done, new couch picked up (but still in the van...it's going to have to go to the gym with me, lol), and a movie date with my boy, which was fun. Spent a little time visiting with my friend who gave us the couch. She's been sick, and has a baby, her dh is deployed, so my boy entertained the dog (she has a pug) and I watched the baby so she could have a little break from mom duty to catch up on her dishes and get a few things done.

I'd better get going. I am in desperate need of a workout, since I didn't get one the past two days!

nelie
10-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh and I forgot to mention (speaking of laundry), we washed our Gis yesterday (karate outfits). They are 100% cotton and not preshrunk. I have to say I was a bit scared mine wouldn't fit but it fit fine. We ironed them and hemmed them to the right length.

I also don't know if I told the story of what happened last week. We were doing kicks in karate where we had to kick a foam pad that someone was holding. Anyway we kicked the pad with person all the way down about 50 feet. Then they kicked it (and us) back. Anyway, I looked down and my pants seemed longer than they should've been. I realized that my pants were falling down!! I was so focused on the kicking that I didn't realize my pants had been slipping. Luckily they didn't fall too far down.

jamsk8r
10-05-2009, 02:37 PM
Nelie, if you mean lifting elbows on the barbell back squat, I can totally relate. I had trouble with that at first, too. I'm finally getting used to the low bar position and getting semi-coordinated with that lift. So, the DVD is good?
I would have been afraid of washing the Gi, too. I have the same fear when I buy new Carharrt stuff, because those things shrink up about 4 sizes the first time you wash them...I never know what size to get!

Rabbit, I wanted to comment on your post, particularly what you said about "celebrating" the weight loss. I find that I tend to do that..I get a new low on the scale, and that very day I'll blow it with something...an ice cream or taking the boy out to eat, and undo it overnight. I'm trying to not do that now, but I've noticed the pattern in myself. I think I get tired and whiney some days, and just wish I could be like those people who can just eat what they want and never gain an ounce, KWIM? I know I'll never be that person, but some days I like to delude myself and pretend. :frypan:

Pat, hope the weather holds so you can get your bike ride in!

The CF report below:
------------------

Today's workout was just Tabata Push-ups and AbMat Sit-ups. I was a little devastated to see the AMSU up there, since I've been doing the challenge with my friend...these are hard when you never take a rest day from them, and we've agreed not to count the ones we do in the workouts. We're so stupid! :rofl: In Tabatas, you only count your lowest number of reps. I got 6 for the push-ups, 6 for the sit-ups. Had 10 going on the sit-ups for a while, then about round 6 the number of reps just dropped like a bomb...could not sit up, at all, after 7 reps!

I asked my trainer if I could use his new 50 lb weight vest to run the mile. He said yes (he's very good at sharing), and said we're just doing heavy deads tomorrow, so that might be a good day for me to do it. I think he's assuming I mean to run it fast. :lol3: I actually had just planned to use it for a warm-up, at a slower pace. Maybe it will be harder than I imagine, but I used to run 3+ miles when I was 60+ lbs heavier, so how hard could it be? Might be hard to breathe, since the weight is distributed across the chest and back...why don't they make a nice "slap that 50 lbs back on my hips and butt" contraption...with that, I could probably run all day! ;)

nelie
10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Cheryl - I have only watched the squat portion of the DVD but I do think it is good if you don't have someone to work squats with in person. I don't go to a gym so it is just me trying to practice on my own. It is quite repetitive and ideally you'd have someone watch it with you and watch your form to ensure you are following the guidelines.

midwife
10-05-2009, 03:10 PM
The CF report below:
------------------

I asked my trainer if I could use his new 50 lb weight vest to run the mile. He said yes (he's very good at sharing), and said we're just doing heavy deads tomorrow, so that might be a good day for me to do it. I think he's assuming I mean to run it fast. :lol3: I actually had just planned to use it for a warm-up, at a slower pace. ;)

It's official! You are NUTS Cheryl! A MILE with a 50 lb weight vest? I can run 30 yards with one, but a MILE! You ARE the weightlifting GODDESS!!!!

Nelie--congrats on the loose pants, madam! Woohoo!

jamsk8r
10-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Thanks, Midwife...I think...lol! We'll see how much of a goddess I am tomorrow! I figure it's got to be easier than carrying the stupid sandbag over one shoulder!

Nelie, what Midwife said about the pants! I meant to comment on that, then got distracted. I'm like that!

Okay, I need to go figure what to do with all the clutter in my front room, then will attempt the daring and super heavy "couch lift" with assistance from a 12 year old and a handtruck. If I don't post within 24 hours, somebody send a fireman to get me out from under the couch in the front yard. ;)

4rabbit
10-05-2009, 03:27 PM
cheryl - WTG on the new coach!

Shannon in ATL
10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Quick drop in, will be back to respond to all later. About to make myself go exercise against my own loud internal protests, so if I stop too long I'll lose momentum...

Cheryl - I read the unedited post, didn't sound too whiney to me, sounded like a rough day. :) :hug: Feel better today?

Mel
10-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Cheryl, you are :crazy: Every time I pick up 70-80 pounds and it feels HEAVY, I think about how my poor knees and feet were carrying that around ALL THE TIME.

My feet are still sore from dancing at a wedding Saturday night. Now there's something I would not have done 75 pounds ago: dance all night in high heels and a skimpy black dress!!!! I would have hid at a table behind a potted plant.

Mel

WaterRat
10-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Cheryl - it rained most of the weekend, and today is cold and rainy again. Fall is definitely here! We'll most likely put the bike away when the snow tires come out. Even without the rain it's pretty cold to be riding - my hands and ears don't like it. :)

I've given up early morning workouts this week at least. I'll go tonight (weights) and tomorrow night (cardio), then Wed morning at a reasonable hour (weights again) as I'm leaving for a conference and I've opted to take the whole day off. I have to be in Anchorage to meet some folks at 11:30, so I can workout at 8:30 or so and be ready to go in time. Thurs is a scheduled rest day. Friday and Sat I'll swap so I can do a :swim: cardio at the hotel and another weights workout when I get home Sat afternoon. Now to work out the eating to be as clean as possible. Taking my own breakfast stuff, making a "stay away from the desserts" pledge, and a lot of self-talk about portion size and food quality. :lol:

Mel - I never could dance all night in high heels! Congrats to you!

jamsk8r
10-05-2009, 07:45 PM
I am still alive, peeps! The couch moving was an adventure, though. Too fluffy and heavy to use the handtruck...could not even get through the yard gate with it. :chin: Lucky thing, actually, that it has the recliners on both ends, because it was actually 3 pieces, held together only by a pair of iron (?) "L" straps on the bottom and some bolts. My boy removed the bolts, and I lifted the pieces off one by one. In hindsight, it might have been smart to lay the thing on it's back, rather than leaving it standing on one end before doing this. The "overhead recliner lift" seems to have aggravated whatever I did to my back a few weeks ago when I just HAD to make that 95 lb barbell clean. Not bad, but it's like instant sore back, so probably not normal. :frypan: Well, we got the couch in the house in 3 pieces, reassembled it, set it in it's new place, then flopped down on it and tested the recliners a few dozen times...sproing! "cool!" click...sproing! "wheee" click... :lol3: Yeah, the boy and I are easily entertained!

I'm having a tea break before I have to fix dinner. Pork chops with this sweet/hot sauce I got from Costco, maybe spinach salad? Unfortunately, we're out of applesauce, which IMO is almost required for eating pork chops. :(

Mel, you're just jealous, cuz you don't have a shiny new weight vest in your gym! neener-neener! ;)

WaterRat
10-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Glad you survived Cheryl! And I agree with applesauce with pork thingy - though I thought it was a New England thing (where I was raised).

At last it's 5 and I'm off to the gym - well, as soon as I shut everything down :lol:

jamsk8r
10-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Could be, Pat, since my folks are from NJ...does that count as New England? I'm a little vague on my geography/history recollection, I confess. The pork chops were good with the sauce. The boy even tried it and gave it the thumbs up...he's trying new foods this year, voluntarily, for the first time since he was 7 or 8...finally! Now, if the preteen attitude would just go away, I'd be a happy mom! :lol:

My everything is sore tonight, mostly abs and back, so I'm going to bed early. Hopefully this will translate to waking up on time...I've been waking up a little late the past few days, which means getting to the gym later...tired of that garbage already!

WaterRat
10-06-2009, 01:32 AM
Arghhh, my abs are still sore from the roll-outs on Sat. Makes getting up from some positions interesting. :lol: Tonight was good except for the stupid mountain climber things. I wonder if that's that's linked to the abs as well. I've done them better than I did tonight.... Oh well, onward. Had a nice dinner of salmon, swiss chard and fresh potato (1 small) tonight, and it's 9:30. I'm about to retire with Diana Gabaldon's latest and maybe get a chapter or two read before I clonk. :)

silverbirch
10-06-2009, 01:59 AM
:wave: Cheryl and Pat - enjoy your beauty sleep!

Mel - I can't do high heels. Wonder if it's practice?

Shannon - you got to the exercise, didn't you?

Rabbit - is today that 2.5 hour drive? You're doing v well with your plan, adding something in every week.

:wave: to anyone I've missed and to lurkers.

My weight is still down. I've been working on 'no sugar' and 'smaller portions'. And seem to be getting somewhere at last. Weights in a few hours but nothing fancy, mind! Just a few compound moves and a bit of stretching. I'm taking everything slowly, slowly after my spring/summer cocktail of surgery, injuries, school summer hols and builders. Ooh! I notice I said 'after'! Is it really over? Has it really finished??

Have a good, OP day, everyone.

Depalma
10-06-2009, 08:10 AM
Arghhh, my abs are still sore from the roll-outs on Sat.

I can definitely relate! Every time I take rollouts out of my program, I kick myself when I reintroduce them because I always get severe DOMS, and it is every damn abdominal muscle too and they always linger!

jamsk8r
10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Depalma, do you do the rollouts with a BB or the little ab wheel thingy? Or does it matter? I'd imagine they'd each give a different kind of challenge and ab torture. When my abs recover, I want to try them again. Tried them early on, but they were a bit much at the time. Probably still a bit much, but I bet I could do better now.

Depalma
10-06-2009, 09:18 AM
I've done them with a barbell, a power wheel (a larger ab wheel thingy) and two homemade small dual wheels that I made from this Ross Enamait article.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/wheel.html

I like the homemade wheels the best as they are unilateral and I can also use them for things like fly pushups. I prefer to progress to standing or rollouts on an incline rather than put weight on the bar, but that is a personal preference, mostly because my home gym is fairly crowded and I would have to move a bunch of stuff around to do barbell rollouts. I have also seen people add resistance with bands, but I haven't tried those yet.

Shannon in ATL
10-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Good morning!

I did get to my workout yesterday - i spent about an hour moving my exercise equipment around in the garage to make room for the bench and squat rack that we have yet to assemble. Pulled out the Weider Max to the other side of the garage, moved the bike, treadmill & elliptical closer to the inside wall. Made more space for the rack and got the electronic equipment further away from the garage door. They didn't get wet in the last rains, but it did worry me somewhat! I then did the Monday WH workout (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/belly-off/pdfs/wh-monday.pdf) again, 43 minutes this time. Did 30 mins of slow paced yoga stretching before bed, which was nice.

Depalma - how difficult was it to make the wheels from that article? I did rollouts for the first time last week on a swiss ball. Liked the exercise, but felt like the ball was too high. I also won't have enough room in my garage for a barbell rollout once everything settles out, I don't think. The wheels look interesting.

Birch - it is most definitely fall. I swear, I think I missed the summer altogether.

Pat - My mountain climbers always start out good, but by the end of the third round they suffer a little. Eek. How are the abs feeling today?

Cheryl - how are you feeling today? Be careful with the back! Glad you survived the couch! I would have had to play on the recliner, too. ;)

Mel - Sounds like you had a great time at the wedding! I'm sure you looked fabulous!

Nelie - I would have worried about washing the Gi as well... Glad it worked well! :)

Rabbit - :high: on the jeans! And on not celebrating the size drop with food and drink! :)

Today is a cardio day, had planned to run at the park but it is cloudy and rainy so might be a treadmill or elliptical day for me. We'll see.

:wave: to everyone else! Good day!

jamsk8r
10-06-2009, 04:29 PM
Depalma, thanks for the link. The wheels look simple to make, but I wonder if I could just use my DB bars...the metal plates already spin on those. I'll give it a test when my abs recover...they were so swollen and sore last night, it was ridiculous! I'm pretty sure it was the tabatas that did it, too, which seems odd, after all the sit-ups I had already been doing. The power of intervals, I guess?

Shannon, my back still feels a little tight, but I don't think I injured myself. It does feel better than yesterday, for sure, thanks for asking!

The CF Report follows :wave:
------------

Deadlift
3-3-3 (same weight all sets, if possible)
or
Go for a 1RM

I just did a 1RM deadlift in August, and honestly, wasn't feeling confident of beating that today, so decided to go for a PR on the 3 rep sets. Last time I pulled 185 for one set of 3, then the second set of 3 I failed on the third rep. While warming up to it, my friend convinced me to go for 195, and I thought I did, was feeling all buffness...when we were unloading the bar, though, I realized we'd both had a bad math day, since there was only 185 on the bar. :dizzy: Oh well, still a PR for those reps, but not as much of one as I thought I was getting.

I sat around brooding about that and watching some others finish up. I was too tired to attempt another triple set of 3 with 195 or even 190. One of the trainers was pulling 205, and my 1RM was sitting at 200 from August. :chin: I decided to go for it, just one rep, since it would mean reclaiming a little of my confidence which was kinda dumped on by the math mistake...and I got it! Didn't even have the ugly back at all, though my knees were thinking about knocking together. Anyway, that made me feel much better about the whole lifting session.

The weighted vest run: my back is feeling better, but it wasn't feeling better enough to run a mile with the weight vest today. I decided to try it on, though, just to see how it felt, and to give it a test to see if I could run with it. It's awkward, maybe because I'm a woman, with the weight all up high on the chest/upper back, but definitely doable, and infinitely easier than carrying a sandbag over one shoulder! While I was wearing it in the gym, though, my friend handed me a ten pound weight plate, and said, "now you're carrying as much weight as I've lost." (lightbulb moment) We went over and got another 15 lbs of plates, then I had all the weight I've lost. So, I scratched the weight vest run for today, because I have a better idea. I'm going to ask my two friends at the gym, who have also lost a lot of weight, if they want to do a mile or some other distance, carrying the weight we've each lost. Might be a little too "hollywood" since I know the Biggest Loser show does that all the time, but I think it would be a good experience, especially if we do it together. I still have to ask them if they're interested, but that's my idea for now. I figure we could borrow some backbacks with frames from the guys, if needed, and that might be even more comfortable than the weight vest. If they don't want to run, we could just hike the hill mile or something, but it would be more crossfit-ish if we tried to go faster.

Depalma
10-06-2009, 07:21 PM
The wheels are simple to make. The materials will cost you more than a store bought ab wheel though, but the wheels themselves are a better quality, plus they provide much more exercise variety.

If you have adjustable dumbells that spin freely enough, I don't see no reason why they wouldn't serve the purpose as well.

WaterRat
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
I tried that tiny little ab roller at the gym - gack, it was dreadful. They have some round ended DBs, plus of course the pieces to put a BB one together. I used the ball on Sat and that about killed me, still sore today - but it's a cardio day. :)

silverbirch
10-07-2009, 01:45 AM
:wave: Morning!

Sshh. Lower number again this morning. Could I be getting on an even keel at last?

Have a good day, everyone. FB this morning.

4rabbit
10-07-2009, 03:24 AM
hi all,

:high: birch. WTG about the creep down!!

Rest for this morning for me. I've had a 12+ hour day yesterday; driving in took 2hrs 45 mins, and back was 3 hrs 45 mins. I want a ringway around Antwerp please! 30 mins in line going in in the morning, and with heavvy rain in the afternoon 45 mins delay just to get around Antwerp agian. next time, I'll research detours: nominally the drive is around 2 hours, so 3h 45 is really terrible. I'm working from home today to get some more rest.

No workout today as yet, but planning on a class at the gym with my friend. Also I might do some cardio at home between work. I'm cranky and stiff from sitting that long.

Cheryl - awesome numbers again!

depalma - interesting note on the wheel and the idea to use DB with loose plates as an alternative. I'ver never done a roll-out, but I have the DBs of that type. I might just google that move this weekend and try it out to see what it is.

Pat: WTG on the workout,
Hi to all the others :wave:

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

silverbirch
10-07-2009, 05:50 AM
It wasn't a FB day, it was a cardio intervals day! All done now. In car with cup of coffee & PWO (thanks, Cheryl) meal of cc & squash roasted with gnd cinnamon & onion powder. Very good indeed.

Rabbit - bad drive to & from Antwerp. I don't like all that. Is the train an option from where you are for next time?

4rabbit
10-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi Birch,

Nope - train is not an option. Because of the border crossing you need to detour severely and the connections are awfull. Well done on the cardio intervalls!

jamsk8r
10-07-2009, 10:54 AM
Birch, congrats on the lower number again! :celebrate:

Rabbit, sorry to hear about the drive. Sounds awful. I'd have to take a book on tape for that trip, definitely.

Stayed up too late again, got sucked into youtube trying to find signed english language videos...can't believe how hard it is to find anything on that, since it seems to be widely used for younger kids here. Anyway, just couldn't drag myself out this morning, so will have to rush to make a decent time at the gym, but I was determined to have at least one cup of tea and a little time before running out the door. Some type of evil metcon today, I'm guessing... :wave:

jamsk8r
10-07-2009, 03:38 PM
Back with the CF Report:

Today's WOD:
Run 1 Mile or Row 2K (for time)
then immediately go for a max Push Press
(use a heavy weight you can only get 10-15 reps with)
Rest 1 minute
Repeat Max PP

I really wanted to do the run, since I hate rowing, so I made myself do the row, and I used 80# for the push press, which is 5# more than I used last time we did a heavy PP workout for low reps like that. 9:06.3 (min:sec) was a 16 second PR for the 2K distance today, and I got 12 reps the first round (could have done 1 or 2 more, but I lost control of the bar and dropped it), then 5 reps on the last one (just total failure on rep six couldn't lock it out). I was also very distracted on the final set of PP as two others were close to me and chatting it up, tried to shut it out, but it was definitely messing with my mojo...don't think I'd have done any better, but mentally I was just wishing they would take it somewhere else or wait 30 more seconds so I could get my mind where it needed to be. I'm just so easily distracted by folks telling funny jokes or stories when I'm lifting, maybe I should consider using an mp3 player to shut out those noises? I might give it a try, if I can convince the boy to fix up my mp3 player...he's the techno whiz in the family, for sure.

4rabbit
10-08-2009, 02:15 AM
Hi,

The wo with my friend fell through yesterday, so I did 30 mins elliptical in front of the Tv instead. Unfortunately I only heard it in the evening, else I would have been able to do some more n the morning, when I have more energy. Still, not a bad day at all:
- I did do 30 mins
- I stayed on plan. Craved sugar all evening, had nothing in the house, and finally made do with a handfull of seedless grapes.

My plan for the day is bike to work and go to the gym in the evening. Tomorrow I'm off work. Yay!

Have a great day all,
rabbit

WaterRat
10-08-2009, 02:33 AM
I'm here at a lovely hotel for 3 days of meetings. I took this morning off and went and did a leisurely workout before leaving. I picked up 3 other participants at the airport and we arrived here about 4:30. Most of us were here for dinner, and then I came back to my room and was in PJs by 8. :) I have a lovely internet connection in my room, and there's wireless in the public areas. The meetings start at 9 tomorrow and go through Sat noon. I'll do a cardio workout here on Friday and another strength workout on Sat on the way home..... Right now it's time to shut this down and go to sleep.

Mel
10-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Great kettlebell workout yesterday at CF. oof...it really tired me! Getting up for cardio was tough this morning.

Fingers crossed for you, SB!

Good job on fighting the sugar monster, rabbit!

Have fun where ever you are, Pat! I know, business meetings aren't fun, but make the best of it :)

Off to the war zone-

Mel

silverbirch
10-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Afternoon! :wave:

Scales are still playing ball with me. Do you remember that one of my weapons in this is prioritising a large amount of vegetables? I think that is working well.

Breakfast was one of the usuals: berries, cc, nuts and seeds, wheatgerm, a few mini Shredded Wheat and skimmed milk.

PWO meal was cc with prawns and roast squash as per yesterday (I cooked a lot so it will be featuring again).

And I have just finished a huge amount of al dente cauliflower, carrots, tin of sardines and a few wholegrain biscuits for lunch. (That sounds grim but it went down all right.)

Another weapon in the arsenal is taking drinks with me in the car in the morning so I can pause when I stop the car before hurtling on to the next thing. That's OK at present but it was a bit cold (8 C / 46 F) before I went into the gymn. I may have to rethink this one as the autumn fades into winter.

I realised when I was getting changed that I have no winter trousers except a pair which were worn out last winter (and should be chucked out) and a brand-new spanking pair which were slightly too small. I do not feel I want to buy a new pair so I'll just have to buckle down and get losing.

FB today. Squats, dead lifts, barbell row, overhead chest press, back extension, crunches with 5kg plate. 2 sets and lots of stretching. My shoulder is still moaning a bit so I'm easing my way back very slowly.

Cheryl - every household should have at least one techno whiz. Glad you've got that angle covered!

Rabbit - Craved sugar all evening, had nothing in the house, and finally made do with a handfull of seedless grapes. My emphasis. That, for me, is the stroke of genius in this sentence. :cool: It's a lovely day for biking here. Hope it's the same for you.

Pat - had to laugh whilst reading your post: lovely, leisurely, lovely, sleep. Glad you're enjoying the conference so far!

Mel - good luck out there. Isn't it Ilene who says "'let's be careful out there"?? She's got a point.

Hullo, everyone else.

Shannon in ATL
10-08-2009, 03:01 PM
Good afternoon all! I didn't make it here to post yesterday, but I did get my workout in. I did the Wednesday WH (http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/images/belly-off/pdfs/wh-wednesday.pdf) workout again, today is a run at the park day. Sunny & 78, definitely going to make it today.

Birch - glad the scale is working with you!

Rabbit - good job on the grapes!

Pat - enjoy your trip, get lots of rest, enjoy visiting with your colleagues.

Cheryl - my iPod saves me when I'm trying to exercise around other people. The chit chat would make me crazy otherwise!

Mel - made a little more progress on your Two Hand Anyhow... My problem is keeping the first one up in a press while I squat for the second one. The elbow desperately wants to pull down to the shoulder and press back up when I stand again.. :(

Depalma - thanks for the wheel info!

I did a little better on the Bulgarian Split Squats this time. I just don't go down very far and have a hard time keeping my balance. I wanted to give it one more shot with the step before trying the wall, but it is definitely the wall version next time...

Good day everyone! :wave: to anyone I missed!

jamsk8r
10-09-2009, 01:12 AM
Hey peeps. Had to miss the gym this morning, but called to get the workout, a little metcon that was basically a running Fran with DB Snatches instead of Thrusters. My boy did it with me, a scaled down version anyway, and we had fun training together out in the yard in the dark. :D

Listening to Charles Dickens' "Bleak House" on playaway. (mp3, I guess?) Not sure what I think yet. He sure takes a lot of words to say a whole lot of nothing exciting, but I'm only a few chapters in, so maybe he's building up to something.

WaterRat
10-09-2009, 01:36 AM
Yes, Cheryl, Playaways are mini-preloaded MP3s. They're quite popular in many libraries here. And Dickens always seem to use a lot of words... :lol:

Ah,Silver,it's still lovely in this hotel room - and the food has been good too.

Today was a rest day, and tomorrow I'll :swim:

Meanwhile, I'm going to read a bit and then go to sleep

4rabbit
10-09-2009, 02:13 AM
Hi everyone,

Birch - that's so great about the scale cooperating! It's nice to know you are on thr same track as I am.

Cheryl-I hade a nice visual of you & your boy working out in the dark. It sounds warm, loving & cozy. Is it fall where you are?

Pat- enjoy the hotel!

Things are going well overhere. Warm weather, the remins of a tropical storm passed in the past days. Fall weather. I'm off work and planning for a lot of chores. DS & DD have plans involving lots of friends coming over, sleeping over, and making cookies. NIce to see them having fun.

Yesterday webt well. Biked to work and went to the gym for 1 hour. I have spent the time, but the gym workt was far from stellar, I guess my legs were tired. I have to be carefull to build up to a certain level of exercise as my joints, tendons & ligaments are prone to injury. So far I'm doing good. Food was also OK. the tallying is becoming easier to remember and it has again kept me inside my calorie budget yesterday. Also the raw veggies thing works. I find eating a raw carrot tides me over difficult moments. I'm not sure about the raw broccoli & califlower: they may give me a bellyache.

BTW: I miss Lydia around. is she busy studying for a test or something?

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
10-09-2009, 07:40 AM
Wow- Glad it is Friday! Cardio done, food packed, and I getting tired of packing 4 meals a day!

Shannon- on the 2 handed anyhow, make sure you are looking up at the weight and keeping your elbow locked. I've discovered that people disagree on how to do this exercise. There is a spirited debate about whether legs are straight, like a kettlebell windmill, or whether it is essentially a one handed overhead squat. Just keep the upper arm locked and straight over your shouder joint. It is supposed to be your skeletal system supporting the weight, not your muscles- regardless of what your legs are doing.

CF was a brutal one yesterday. Power cleans, mule kicks ( yuck) and 2 runs. I'm so bad at the mule kicks that I tried to sub burpees- but gave that up after the first round when I discovered how much fun the power cleans were after doing 21 burpees!! :p

Have a good one!

Speaking of books, has any one read anything by Michael Chabon? I started the Yiddish Policemen's Union MONTHs ago and just cannot make any sense of it. I rarely give up one a book. Pat?

Mel

silverbirch
10-09-2009, 08:00 AM
Shannon - well done for getting the workout in!

Cheryl - fun doing the workout together in the dark! I gather Bleak House is thought to be Dickens' best. I can't get on with him, myself. A Tale of Two Cities was OK at school when I was about 12 but that's as far as it goes. Did you know that he wrote his books to be serialised? The great Wikipedia writes:

Much of his work first appeared in periodicals and magazines in serialised form, a favoured way of publishing fiction at the time. Other writers of the time would complete entire novels before serial publication commenced, but Dickens often wrote his in parts, in the order in which they were meant to appear. The practice lent his stories a particular rhythm, punctuated by one cliffhanger after another to keep the public eager for the next instalment.

So they should be good for mp3-listening. But Victorians were wordy, it seems to me.

Rabbit - yes, we are on the same track! I do agree with this:

I have to be careful to build up to a certain level of exercise as my joints, tendons & ligaments are prone to injury.

So I'm still being pretty slow.

Mel - cardio done here, too! I don't know Chabon.

Pat - office politics, yuck. Keep on enjoying the hotel.

:wave: Onward!

jamsk8r
10-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Pat, thanks...I thought they might be, but wasn't sure. I do like them for taking along on yard jobs...it's a good way to make the time fly without it distracting me. (except for Stephanie Plum...I almost fell off a roof from laughing, lol) Bleak House isn't that exciting, but I'm trying to be open minded and expand my cultural horizons. :yawn: Glad to hear that the road food is good! Have fun with the swimming!

Rabbit, I think Lydia must be holed up with a pile of books or something. I miss her, too. It is just turning to fall here, cool but hasn't gotten into the rainy season yet. We did the workout outside because we have to use the apple tree for pull-ups.

Mel, what is a mule kick?

Birch, wordy is putting it mildly, lol!

Did the CF workout this morning, and tonight some of us are meeting up at Roach Gymnastics for some "Gymnastics 101" training. Hopefully they can give me some hope for a handstand, or some way to work toward one. I don't think I have any talent for these things, but I have to try, since they turn up in the CF workouts so much. I was getting a lot of grief from my CF friends about not staying for yoga, but since I was gone most of the day yesterday, and have to be gone tonight again, I figured I should spend the middle part of the day with my boy, as much as possible.

The CF report below:
---------------

Snatch
3-3-3-3-3 (same weight all sets)

Last time we did this, I did squat snatch, and held at 40# to try and practice the movement. Today, I'd planned to add weight each set, and just see how far I could get, but once again, when it got heavy for me, my form and coordination in the movement started going to pot, so it was another practice day for me, and somewhat random.

Did pvc then 35# for a few warm-up sets of 3 reps each.
Did 45-45-45 in 3 rep sets using a squat snatch, so that's 5# more than last time.
Did 53-58 with a power snatch (3 reps each), but was mentally messed up by switching from squat snatch to power snatch...dropped to 53# to try one more set, but was still "off", so just quit there. I think, in the future, I'll just stick with the squat snatch and try to build weight from there as long as I can keep good form.

Only dumped myself on my butt once during the 45#s, but my trainer calls to me from the other room, "I saw that Cheryl!" He's a smart@ss.

WaterRat
10-10-2009, 01:18 AM
Mel - I tried the Yiddish Policeman's Union in paper and on audio. Couldn't get into it at all. I loved the premise, but....

4rabbit
10-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Hi all,

Wo done, and I'm ready for the weekend. Yesterday did not work out, also lost it on the food items. I'm clearly not used to this calorie restriction thing. Still, I saw something UNBELIEVABLE on the scale today: again some loss AND a lower BF %.

I thought this whole BF lowering in a timescale that registered was a myth, as I usually gain fast and loose at gracial speed, and I thought this was due to menopause. I only keep at it because I know that there are more "40 yrs with 10+ yrs of experience" bodies around here, so I guess this works for some people. But Venuto was right: Doing what I did untill now did not work. Changing to more WOs and actually keeping track of my calories appears to work not only in his book but also on my person!

WO today was not to intense. I have a sore spot on my left elbow and I cannot lift with that arm. Time to take it very easy. I have to make up for the skipped Wo of yeaterday, so there is a bike trip in my future and watching TV on the rowing machine.

Have a great weekend everyone,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
10-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Rabbit, I mess up often with the food, usually if I'm just too busy or tired to cook when I need food, then I make do with what I've got, which isn't always exactly OP, but I just do my best. It needn't be a cause for a flogging, though, just go right on with the next meal or snack, and that will minimize the damage, if any. I'm glad you're seeing such great results on the scale with your new habits! :celebrate: Good job, Rabbit!

The CF (Gymnastics) report:

We had an hour and a half with one of Roach Gymnastics' coaches last night. Our coach, Sheila, was great. She brought her daughter to demo for us, and she had good humor, dealing with some of us, like me, who don't seem to have a knack for it. We did a little of everything, with so much flipping and/or being upside down that I honestly was beginning to feel a little sick and dizzy after an hour of it, even though the flipping was fun to do, as the landings were all on soft stuff. I did not miraculously get a handstand out of the deal, but I did get some cartwheels and whatever they call it when you do a cartwheel and land on both feet together facing the direction you came from. We'll be doing this again, maybe next month, and I will sign up for it again, and also take my boy along. I didn't realize we could take our kids, or I'd have taken him this time.

I also didn't make the connection until last night that Roach Gymnastics is owned by Melanie Roach and her hubby...small world! We did snatches yesterday at the CF gym, and I was awed by the thought of her (MR's) double-bodyweight snatch. I can't imagine, since I can barely get a third of my BW overhead with that lift! Gymnasts are strong, that's certain!

Today is my day for living at the gym. Workout, then gym cleaning, though I'm thinking I may go in a little late this morning. Both my cleaning crew partners are gone this weekend, so I'll have my work cut out for me, covering for both of them.

silverbirch
10-10-2009, 04:28 PM
:wave: all!

Rabbit - great results! Keep going!

Cheryl - you'll soon be free running or in a circus! I've wondered whether bunny hops are the precursor of handstands. I did go through a phase of trying this out but ran into the sand. It's currently filed with hula hooping under 'things I can't do at present but used to be OK at'. I like to think their time will come again.

Must go to sleep soon.

WaterRat
10-10-2009, 08:38 PM
Home again, home again, jiggity jig! And I have a real keyboard to type on! It was a good conference and I'm once again enthused about my job. :)

I was going to stop at the gym and do a weights workout, but at it was nearly 4, I came on home. TOday's is one I can do at home, so I will. (Well, I can't do reverse push-ups at the gym or home, so instead of hanging from the bar, I'll skip them!) I'm still a cardio workout short this week, so I may do a stationary bike ride (we have an ancient, but good one, at home). I really hate it for a full cardio workout (vs. a warmup which I can tolerate) though. It's fairly warm up, maybe I'll go for a walk before dinner. My road bike is put away in the barn for the winter....

DH is heavily involved with his chainsaw and the firewood stack. He's nearly filled the width along whole back of our carport, several rows. THere's just room for the trash barrels, the riding mower and in front of them, his truck and my CRV. Overhead we hang our two canoes....

jamsk8r
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
:lol3: Not me, Birch, but my boy is interested in the free running and/or parkour (not sure if they are one and the same?).

Pat, glad you are home safe and comfy once again! :hug: Are you able to set the bar/barbell higher up, like chest level, because if you can't do the hanging pull-ups, you could do standing rows...it's like making progress on a push-up (wall, dresser top, chair seat, steps, floor, for example), except for push-ups, you move your feet back to make it harder, with the rows/hanging pull-ups, you move your feet forward to make it harder. So you can start with your feet under or behind the bar, and step forward until you find the angle that is just right for you, for those reps, for that day. I hope I haven't already said all this. I'm coming down with something, have a fever/chills, and not a lot of zip in the old brain today.

WaterRat
10-11-2009, 01:22 AM
Cheryl - hope you're not getting a flu! Thanks for the idea. I can certainly do that with a bar in a cage.... I am working my way down to a "real" pushup, and am down to a low window sill! :) I opted for a walk since the weather was in the 50's. I'll do the workout tomorrow and be more or less back on schedule.

:wave: to everyone else. Good to see us all making progress, even if slow. Where oh where are Lydia and Alena??

jamsk8r
10-11-2009, 03:38 AM
Pat, great job on the push-ups! I'm not sure what is going on with me, but I got a few hours' sleep, and my fever seems to have broken. I'm going back to bed now, and will see how I feel in the morning. :crossed:

:wave: to Birch and Rabbit, who are usually stirring about this hour.

4rabbit
10-11-2009, 06:27 AM
Chetyl, Pat -what are you even doing to be up at this hour???

Pat - WTG on the pushup
Cheryl - trying to figure out what you mean with the pull-up. I guess I get it, and it's on the list for the next home weights wo.

Hi Birch, :wave:

I am stirring around. I have completed my wo for the day and for the week; 40 mins run and 40 min rowing in front of the TV so I have earned another hopping bunny!

I have finished the 4 miss marples episodes that I had and have now started at Maigret. very "noir" . Maigret is very different from miss marple, I might get some more vids of Agatha chrisite to watch while rowing.
Dissapointingly, the scale and BF were up again this morning. There is a lot of noise on them measurements. Ideally I would look at a progressing mean value but at this moment I find it too much of a hassle.

After this 1st month I am ready to commit to another one. The plan is to keep up with the 7 hours of exercise a week and talyiing the calories on my calorie budget.

have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

jamsk8r
10-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Rabbit, I was only awake because I fell into bed about 8pm here, then woke at midnight feeling hungry and thirsty, so I had gotten up to grab half a banana and a drink of water. Congrats on another OP week!

I can't seem to find a video showing the progression for the hanging pull-up...it seems to have many different names, but nobody is showing the progressions for beginners. Basically, set a bar at chest level. Stand with your feet on the floor, directly underneath the bar, grip the bar with straight arms, hands about shoulder width apart (but you can go wider or narrower with your grip, to find what's comfortable for you). You'll be leaning back just a bit, but most of your bodyweight will be on your feet, not your arms. Now pull your chest to the bar a few times, trying to keep your body straight, just like you would with a push-up or plank position, from shoulders to ankles is a straight line. Next, take a step forward with both feet. Grip the bar at arm's length...you'll be leaning back a bit more, with a little more of your bodyweight on your arms, but still most of it is on your feet...pull your chest to the bar a few times. You should be able to feel the difference in difficulty, depending where you place your feet in relation to the bar...the more you step forward, the harder it is. You can also do these on gymnastic rings or gymnastic bar on chains, like you might find at a school playground. For those, you might even start with your feet behind the plane of the bar/rings, so just fiddle with the foot position until it feels like you're working, but can do all the reps you want to do. This is a good sub for pull-ups if you don't have any kind of pull-up machine or bands. When you've gone as far forward with your feet as you can, and that is easy for you, then you would lower the height of the bar or rings, a little at a time, or (same effect) raise your feet up on a box or bench. I hope that makes sense!

I am awake (again), and it seems like the fever/chills bit has passed, no sore throat or other signs of anything, so it must have been just a temporary thing. Weird! Awesome, though, because I did not want to be stuck home sick this week. :carrot:

Depalma
10-11-2009, 12:01 PM
This video shows inverted row progressions like Cheryl discussed. It does use a TRX instead of a bar, but the foot positions are what is relevant here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iinDb2zf8c8

WaterRat
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Oh, excellent description Cheryl, and great video Depalma. I think I can do that now. :) It'll have to wait til I'm in the gym tomorrow, but I will try it.

Glad you are feeling better Cheryl.

Rabbit - It was only 9:20 pm here when I was posting last night. COngrats on another of those strange rabbits. :lol:

I'm off to church this morning; laundry and a wo this afternoon; and then we're going to Anchorage (1 hr drive) to see Leo Kottke this evening. I have to plan my eating so I'm not sitting in a concert with my stomach growling, yet the larger meal has to be before then so I'm not going to bed (late, I'm sure) on a full stomach. Guess I need a late lunch, a light snack pre-concert, and a little heavier one post-concert - that I can eat while driving. Off to ponder....

4rabbit
10-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Cheryl- Thanks for the explanation. Perfectly clear, and I'll try that. Hope that your malady is over now.

On the OP week: not totally OP as i lost it food-wise again today. Too much havoc in the house with DD and DS having friends on sleep overs, gaming all day, having additional friends over for a chocolate cookie bakefest, yet another friend coming over and finally variuos others coming over to pick kids up or to have a drink. ...I went over my calorie budget for lunch , dinner and I had 2 glasses of wine and some cheese straws... way too much socialising. Tomorrow will be a working day. Bike to work, power class in the evenig, and much eeasier to keep right on track.

See you all around tomorrow,
rabbit

jamsk8r
10-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Depalma, thanks for finding a video!

Ladies, have fun with the rows!

Today is rest day for me, so chore day, of course. Lots of laundry, house cleaning, yard chores, and some batch cooking for the week ahead. I am feeling normal, so I guess the fever was just a temporary ailment.

WaterRat
10-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Rabbit - Just put the day behind you and move on. No matter how much we scold ourselves, or feel guilty, we can't undo anything. Much better to plan to have a better day tomorrow.

I was thinking of your DVD watching and noting how much I enjoyed the Agatha Christie series as well. I - well the library :) - recently bought the whole first season of the "No. 1 Ladies' Dectective Agency" which was produced by HBO and the BBC. I don't know if you've read these books (which are set in Botswana) by Alexander McCall Smith, but they're good reading and DH and I have been enjoying the DVDs. THey just came out here in September, and I don't know about in Europe. Here's the link for the US Amazon site where I got them. No. 1 Ladies' DVD (http://www.amazon.com/No-Ladies-Detective-Agency/dp/B0016Q2D1Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1255298195&sr=8-1)

Cheryl - glad you're over that little blip! :lol: ANd your rest days sound like mine - rest only in that you're not doing a formal workout!

4rabbit
10-12-2009, 04:11 AM
Wow Pat- Thanks for that suggestion!. I love the books of the "No1 ladies detective agency" and I had no idea that they had a DVD out! I'll check if it is available in the Pal system that I need for europe.

de palma - I had not noticed your post yesterday evening. Thanks a lot. I can totally do these when I hang the bands from my open staircase. I even believe that I have some handgrips as the guy uses laying around in my garage.

Shannon- looks like we both ad the a day of less-than-controlled- eating

hi Cheryl & all the others :wave:

As Pat says, we move on. At least everyone had a great weekend: all in all I had like 7 teenagers in my house simultaneously and they all had a good time. That is worth a lot.

Biking to work today and planning on a power class tonight. The sun is shining & I got new music on the ipod. I brought my snacks & lunch, and dinner is planned.

How are you all doing?

Rabbit

jamsk8r
10-12-2009, 09:49 AM
Morning, all! :coffee:

Got up on time, so I will be able to make the gym on time for a good long warm-up. :carrot: This week, I'm shooting for getting back on my preferred schedule of arriving at the gym 1 hour early, so I have plenty of time to warm up and get some practice in on things I want to improve on. The secret, I've found, is to be in bed by 9pm, so that will be my main focus this week, toward meeting this goal. I'm planning to learn to climb the baccar ladder, for one thing, so that when rope climbs come up in the workout, I have a legitimate substitute.

I also bought one of those pill boxes with 4x/day slots, it's HUGE, to keep on my counter, to help remind me to take my fish oil. Just having the jar on the counter was not doing the trick for me. I used the big box yesterday, and it did seem to help.

Last night, I was feeling like watching a little TV, but we don't have a television, so we have to get ours on the computer. The boy and I watched 2 episodes of the new season of The Biggest Loser, which I'd not seen in a few years. I was surprised, and a little amused, to see the trainers incorporating some rather Crossfit-ish training things, though they still have people doing curls and hours and hours on the treadmill...they had one guy doing sledgehammer swings on a big tractor tire, then flipping the tire, and another guy was doing GHD sit-ups(!), which I hope they'll be careful with. Anyway, it was as corny as ever with the product advertisements and the trumped up "drama", but good entertainment for a Sunday night. I still can't help but be inspired by some of the people and how hard they are working to change their lives.

Rabbit, my sister has been enjoying that series, as audio books. She had another that she liked, not sure of the name or the spelling, but it was something like Cadphile (pat, a little help, here?), who is a priest, I think, that solves mysteries, or something along those lines.

:wave: to everyone else. I'd better get ready to go, so I don't waste my early start today! On the warm-up/practice agenda today: running the dreaded 800 meters, then some fun with light squat cleans practice.

Shannon in ATL
10-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Rabbit - I had an entire weekend of out of control eating, not just a day unfortunately! :eek:

Depalma - thanks for the row video.

Cheryl - I have to take my vitamins every morning at work or I forgot. I leave the bottle on the counter during the weekends so I'll remember there. I should try the pill box, too - sounds like a great idea!

Pat - I'm going to try those books as well! Thanks!

I did exercise on Saturday - some kickboxing, then some elliptical trainer. Sunday was a rest day. My elbows are oddly sore yesterday and today, and my left knee a little bit. I'm trying to decide if I need to work out after work, or do some yoga and call it another off day... Hmm.

Good day everyone!

jamsk8r
10-12-2009, 02:56 PM
Shannon, maybe your elbows/knee are just getting pulled on by some tight muscles? You could do an easy warm-up and some ROM movements, see how it feels at that point. :shrug: On the pill box, I've noticed it's helping me to keep on my scheduled meals/snacks plan, as well, since I like to take the fish oil with food.

The CF Report below:
---------

Apparently, our new Monday gig is Tabatas. 20 seconds of work, 10 seconds rest, 8 rounds (4 mins total) per exercise, or 8 mins back-to-back like we did today. Your "score" is your lowest amount of reps.

The WOD:
Tabata Wall Ball (pick a weight in the 10+ rep range, at least for the first few rounds)
Tabata Push Press (75# men/55# women...again this is a lighter weight for our gym for PP, so adjust accordingly when scaling)

I'm about a 12# wall ball person in a normal workout, 14# only if I want the Rx'd bad enough or want to go heavy on it, so I chose the 10# med ball for this workout, to try and get higher reps. I did the 55# push press, because I was sure I could keep that number pretty decent, despite the wall ball being right before. I started with 12 reps on the wall ball, worst was 8, PP was low from the start, with only 9 reps, dropping to 8, then 7, but I was able to hold the 7 for the rest of the workout...there was much grunting, yelling and cursing during this WOD, with folks just trying to hold onto what they had for reps. My final score was 8-7 (8 wallball/7 push press).

I actually like the tabatas, because no matter how brutal it is, it's only 4 minutes (or 8 minutes if you do 2 exercises)...it's a great drill, IMO, for learning to dig deep mentally and physically, ignore the pain, quiet the voice that's telling you to rest. The worst part is when the coach says, "you're halfway done!"...that is NEVER helpful, lol! Just FYI, if anybody wants to tabata something at home (squats, sit-ups, whatever!) there are tabata clocks available online, just google "tabata clock" or "tabata timer", and that should turn up several options. These are great when you don't have a lot of time for the main part of your workout.

Shannon in ATL
10-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Cheryl - I finished up my kickboxing Saturday with a Tabata drill - mixed the exercises up between jabs, squats, jab/cross, jumping jacks, roundhouse kicks. Pretty cool - I liked the timing element as well. I could tell myself "I only have one minute left" and that sort of helped. :)

silverbirch
10-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Quick, ill post as DB & I are just coming out of food poisoning (dodgy sausage - him - and lentil - me - rolls at a local producers' food event on Sunday). Shame as the event was really good but we separately worked out the culprit.

Rabbit & Cheryl - Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters. Based in Shropshire, just down the road from here.

Am reading Michael Pollan's In Defence of Food. Very interesting to see the differences between the US and here. And the similarities. We don't have HFCS or, at least, so little I haven't noticed it.

:wave: See you all tomorrow. Thanks, everyone, for being here.

WaterRat
10-12-2009, 05:17 PM
Hi!

SB - Sorry you and the boy are ill - hope you're feeling better soon. You beat me to Brother Cadfael :) The books are also available on audio, at least in the US, plus PBS/BBC did some of them on video as well. As for the No. 1 Ladies, the audios are great as they are read by a South African woman who has all the names pronounced correctly. :) Of course they do on the DVDs as well.

Rabbit - you have my admiration dealing with 7 teenagers in your house! Yikes.

It's a gorgeous day here today, very warm for this time of year, and still many trees with fall colored leaves. I'm going to the gym after work and then my one evening at home this week! Tomorrow night is a City Council night starting at 6 pm, and will likely go to 10 or 11. I hate that as I try to be in bed by 10, and when I come home from these long meetings I'm very wound up and it takes me awhile to relax. Funny, our Lean Eating nutrtion assignment for the next two weeks is to get 8 hours of sleep a night. :) We have had these assignments from the beginning, and they've includied forming such habits as taking multi-vitamins and fish oil; drinking at least 2L of water a day; etc. All things that have been shown to aid success in becoming fit and losing weight. We have other assignments as well. This past week had one to find a reason to get "dressed up" and go out, and to take a photo of ourselves. I'll post mine when I get it uploaded. We went to a Leo Kottke concert last night, so that was the perfect opportunity. And the concert was excellent as well.

Mel
10-12-2009, 09:17 PM
And everyone beat me to Brother Cadfael. I read all the books ages ago and had forgotten about them. They were really good. Pat, I'm almost glad to hear the the Michael Chabon book was as senseless to you as it was to me. And I even understand a lot of the Yiddish! I just gave up on it. Now I'm temporarily bookless. I'm hoping Elizabeth George comes out with something soon. Or Ian Rankin.

Cheryl, I loathe tabata workouts. We tend to to a lot of tabata abs at the end of the WOD and mine have actually gone into spasms. VERY painful!

Today's WOD was:
15 pull ups
15 med ball cleans (20 pound rx'd for women)
15 push ups
15 KB Russian swings (26 pd. rx'd for women)
4 rounds for time.

My only mod was the purple band. The first three rounds I was winging out the pull ups really quickly, but the last set did me in. I think I may try some unassisted next time we do a pull up WO. Which is about every other day it seems :p

SB- Hope you and the boy feel better!

Time to take my perpetually sore butt to bed :yawn:

WaterRat
10-13-2009, 12:11 AM
I'm hoping Elizabeth George comes out with something soon. Or Ian Rankin.

Mel, I'm taking it you've read "Careless in Red" by Elizabeth George? Have you tried Deborah Crombie or Peter Robinson, both British police procedurals. Or Stuart MacBride, the same only darker....

I'm reading a book called "Homemade Life" by a blogger named Molly Weisenberg (blog is Orangette). I'm enjoying it immensely (and it has terrific sounding recipes, many for salads). It's not just a reprint of her blog either.

Well I was going to swap my rest day to tomorrow as I have a CIty Council meeting tomorrow night which will go late. But I'm feeling puny and decided to take it today anyway. Hopefully I can get up early and do my workout. Or I suppose I could either do it at lunch (would have to be a long lunch), or swap Wed's cardio into Tues and do that between work and the meeting. Ah the choices. The only choice I'm certain of is going to bed early. :lol:

jamsk8r
10-13-2009, 09:14 AM
Thanks, all, for sorting out the BC books for me...I hadn't read any, and was pretty sure I was butchering the spelling there. :D Elizabeth George sounds familiar, too, thought I owned one, but must have been one I borrowed from the library. :shrug: :?:

Mel, I am so excited for you! If you can crank them with the purple band, you can certainly go unassisted in the workouts soon, very soon! I'm having to work my way back up, since our trainer removed the athletic tape from our pull-up bars. Right now, as of yesterday anyway, I could get 3 in a row with the purple band, that's it. (grumble) I like the tape better myself, but at least the bars are easier to clean, now! :D

I was hoping to see 159 anything today, but it's still just out of reach. 160.4. That's what, a cup of tea? LOL! It would be nice to see it just once, so I could say I did it!

ETA: since nobody else posted yet, the CF report is below:
---------

Front Squats, go for 3RM

We hadn't done these since April, when I first started, so I had no idea how much weight to use. Pretty much killed myself, 5 pounds at a time, near the end, because I kept thinking I couldn't get the next set, then I'd get it. Next time I'll know to start higher!

warm-up sets: 45-65-75-85
working sets: 95-100-105-110(PR)-115/2
my "PR" from April, since I was just learning these, was 65#
The 115 was the first time I've had to bail from a front rack position, but I did it without breaking anything. phew!

4rabbit
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
Hi all,

Thanks everyone for the BC recommendations! I have read a couple of the brother cadfael stories and like them a lot.

Birch - ouch on the food poisoning of yourself & the boy. Funny that it should be 2 different food items. Maybe the same vendor and the fridge was out of order? I hope you both are feeling better now.

Pat, Mel - hope you are feeling better.

I'm a bit under the water myself. yesterday s power class did not happen, I was not feeling all that great and unfoirtunately fell face down into a box of chocolates one of my guests had left me over the weekend. Today is also not great. I biked to work and that was about it. Probabely I'm living through some halfway flu or something.

Furthermore I am distressed because XH is back in the country. He left on his sailing boat in may and unfortunately he has appeared again. Some misguided friends seemed fit to inform me about it, and I would have preferred to not know. My kids are again badgered with phonecalls now, and calls to be with him etc.I despise XH not only for his past behaviouir, but because he chooses to go away for such prolonged periods. I had rather that he did not return at all. And I also despise him for the emotional blackmail...he wants to see the kids rightaway, and often, and when it suits him rather than them, because he has not seen them in such a long time. Sure, but who forced him to get into an extramarital relation, divorce, quit his job, buy a boat, and go sailing for 6 months at a stretch?

The kids certainly did not. It is emotional blackmail IMO, and I feel very sorry for the kids. DS is always sad when his father chooses to leave for 6 months. Furthermore I really hate it that he is always acting to everyone that he is such a great caring father. Sure, that s why I refused to join him in this boat scheme, he dumped us, he left the kids while I was quite ill, and pursued his boat dream with another woman and her son.

I'm cranky, and I 'm sure everything will look better in the morning. I'm turning in early.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

I'm not feeling entirely well

Shannon in ATL
10-13-2009, 03:32 PM
Rabbit - :hug: I'm glad your kids have you to provide a stabilizing influence in their lives.

Birch - hope you guys feel better. That is odd that you both got sick off of different foods, I would figure it was some additive that was used in the cooking of both.

Cheryl - good job on the squats! And, the successful bail out! :dizzy:

Pat - hope you got some rest last night!

I did workout yesterday, and actually felt a lot better after. Today is a cardio day, and I hope to get some yoga. I'm trying to get in yoga three times per week - I like the way it makes me feel, and I think it helps with flexibility. Only twice last week, but three the week before, one so far this week.

I am totally failing at the overhead squat. I lean too far forward, or too far back, or something. I can't get down far, and when I do my heels are off the ground, so I know I'm leaning wrong... Frustrating... Will try that a little more today.

Good day all.

silverbirch
10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
Rabbit :hug: :hug: He is such a moron. :hug: :hug: to the children.

Shannon - great idea about the yoga.

Cheryl - I must have been looking the other way when you got into Crossfit. How did it come about? And what were you doing before?

Pat - I'll join you on the 8 hours sleep exercise! Mmm. Zzzzz.

Mel - how are things?

Feeling a bit better today, thanks. The dodgy food came from the same producer, same (awful) pastry etc. SO went to the parents' evening at school tonight. The teacher said DB shouldn't come back till he was 100% as there are so many bugs around in the class he'd be bound to catch something. So another day of DIY together (we like that) & possibly biking. Maybe gardening. (I'm meant to be building my website but it will have to wait.)

I'm tucked up in bed reading *internationally acclaimed* Power Posture - your blueprint for a powerful body by Lee Parore, senior faculty member at the Colgan Institute. ??? Got it in a library sale & thought it could be interesting. Has anyone heard of it or him? I'm just starting it.

See you all tomorrow.

Mel
10-13-2009, 08:09 PM
The 115 was the first time I've had to bail from a front rack position, but I did it without breaking anything. phew!

Cheryl! you've crossed the threshold! :carrot:

I did squats and front squats today, dead lifts, skated on a slide board and standing ham curls. Oh, and Lydia's Peter Pans. Yoohoo! Lydia, where are you????
No cross fit. How boring, but at least I listened to my own music which is much more 'singer-songwriter" than the cross fit music! and I cranked out 7 unassisted sort of kipping pull ups. ssssshhhhhh! don't tell the cross fit guys!

Pat, I have read Careless in Red and everything else she has written. I've been really put off by the miscasting of the TV adaptations. Also read all of Ian Rankin, Martha Grimes, and almost every other Brit I can think of. Dh is originally from near Blackpool in England and most of his extended family live around the Lake District. Every time he talks about spending a year in England when we retire (hahaha, that will NEVER happen!) my response is noooo...the murder rate is far too high!

Rabbit-:hug::hug::hug: I can't imagine the pain he has caused you! My heart goes out to you, because as the child of divorce and bad behavior, I know it will be YEARS before your kids understand. But someday they will. Hang in there!

Shannon- work on keeping "active shoulders" in the OH squat. As you go up, mentally push that bar to the sky and work on locking out your elbows and keeping them behind your ears.

Mel

WaterRat
10-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Mel - my children's librarian just told me about a mystery author she discovered on vacation. Cara Black. A woman detective, set in Paris. There are 9 books so far.... Or have you tried Susan Hill. She is fairly new, 4th book just coming out. A Dagleish sort of main character, but with a family (parents, sister) that keep him from totally wallowing.

So, it's 5:30 and I have a city council meeting that starts at 6, so I guess I'll get on my way......

silverbirch
10-14-2009, 03:38 AM
:wave: Good morning!

Take it easy today, rabbit, and good luck! :hug:

4rabbit
10-14-2009, 03:55 AM
Hi Birch,

Everyone - thanks for the support!.

I'm certainly taking it easy...biked to work today and that will be it as far as exercise is concerned.

Pat - thnx also for the who-dunnit suggestions. i had not heard of any of the autors that you mentioned, but I'm a great fan of the old school english country house mysteries.

:wave: to everyone,
Rabbit

Shannon in ATL
10-14-2009, 04:13 PM
Last night turned into Lawn Mower cardio. ;) Had to get it in before the rain came back today - my yard was looking scary! We have DH tonight, so hope to get in some quick exercise after dinner, then my yoga before bed. Didn't make the yoga last night - watched a movie with DH instead, that included gelato... Oops. Oh well, dust off and get back up on track today.

Mel - thanks for the info on the OH squat. I don't think my elbows are all the way back to behind my ears, have to check that. Might be why I end up leaning my torso forward... :)

Birch - glad you are feeling a little better!

Rabbit - glad you are feeling a little better, too!

Good day everyone!

jamsk8r
10-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Shannon, are you using your PVC first for really loosening up the shoulders? Do the pass throughs, narrowing your grip every few passes, till you hit your sticking point, then widen that grip just a hair. Think about chest up (stick the boobs out), shoulders for earmuffs, pull the hands apart (this really does help), reach back, back back with the butt as you lower, try to keep the weight on the heels (butt back), and fight hard to keep the knees out, tracking over the foot. Fiddle with your stance...normal would be shoulder width, toes pointed out slightly...you might like it more narrow or wider, toes out a little more, so play with it. I always do these with a pvc in my warm-up, after shoulder pass throughs, and it takes my tight hams/etc several attempts to get down into a full OH squat, then I do some other stretching/mobility stuff, do the OH squats again with the pvc, then I can add a little weight or do some other type of squatting exercise for my "real" warm-up.

ETA: stick with the pvc till you can do this nice and deep without falling on the toes, then add weight slowly...a little goes a long way in this lift, so this is where your sand-filled pvc pipe would be a good progression, not straight to the 45# bar, unless you're a guy or a total overhead beasty girl! Try these facing a wall, to help keep you back on the heels and to let you know if the bar is falling forward.

Mel
10-14-2009, 06:31 PM
Ooof! I took the day off from work to primer and paint my bathroom, including ceiling, before the free standing tub is hauled up there. Up the ladder, twist turn, down the ladder, twist turn, repeat for 6-7 hours! I did take a break to go to the CF strength session at noon which I can rarely go to.

Today was kettle bell cleans and kettle bell snatches, and Turkish get ups. All done in sets of 5 then 3, getting progressively heavier. I now know where one of my fading mystery bruises came from because it's back and much worse! My form on the KB snatches on my left side is not perfect, and with KBs, that can be a disaster. Or a bruise :p

Shannon- Together time is important too! Last night was my dh's birthday. It was worth an oops :blush:

Pat- Thanks for the author suggestions. I need to do a library run. Our house can't hold any more books that stay here.

Off to pack food.

Mel

WaterRat
10-14-2009, 08:45 PM
My meeting turned in a five hour slog last night. 6-11 pm with two - count 'em - two 15 minute breaks. I was sooo ready for it to be over, but then of course I had trouble getting to sleep. This morning I slept in and came to work about 9:15. Thank goodness I have tomorrow and Friday off - going to a quilting retreat. No cell phones, no internet. :)

Mel, going to work in the library was good for my budget and my bookcase! :lol: I seldom buy books anymore - except cookbooks and exercise books. I do have a terrible audiobook habit though - both with the free downloads available through the library and at audible.

Lydia227
10-14-2009, 09:09 PM
[I]Oh, and Lydia's Peter Pans. Yoohoo! Lydia, where are you??? Mel

:o I'm here! :wave: Cheryl was right, I'm neck deep in book, videos and workbooks right now. I'm preparing for my NASM exam.

I filed for an extension but I want this thing behind me. The sooner the better.

The summer chaos of packing up my house, remodeling the kitchen, painting everything nailed down, and then unpacking my house again put a dent into my study time.

I have between 8pm to 10pm to study for this thing. I'm grateful I have the ACSM behind me as a platform. It really is an issue of carving out time for preparation and not feeling guilty about the kids being left to their own devices.

There are several other certs I'd like to get immediately on the heels of this one. The reality is I shouldn't do any more until my DS2 is in school for more than two hours a day. Oh, and I sell, pack my house and relocate. Minor details...:dizzy:

Anyway, as soon as the test is over I'll be more than a lurker.

In addition to all that crazy business, my cat threw herself down the basement stairs. Some pets will do anything for attention! I had to run her into the OSU Small Animal Hospital at 10:00pm last Thursday. :( She suffered severe head trauma and I had to put her down. That was a fun car ride.

Can I just put in a :high: for the animal hospital. Incredibly empathetic about the situation. I think the vet was taken back with how rational I was during the crisis. My comment was a little like "I'm an old farm girl, it's just a part of life..." Right. It hit me the next morning on my drive over to the gym. I think I cried the whole way. So much for bravado. But, she was 13 years old...

I think it was difficult to lose the cat because it's the end of an era for me and my DH. We had the cat before we were married. Sigh.

Now we are in our forties, our eldest in middle school and our baby in kindergarten. We are entering another phase of our lives. I'm still looking back at the previous phase a little reluctant to leave it behind me. Losing the cat was just another step forward in a direction that I'm not excited to rush off into. :^:

'kay. back to the books. Can't wait till I get to the good parts. Right now it's mostly review for me.

4rabbit
10-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Lydia :hug: for the cat and :hug: for the rest of your life. I'm not following you on this packing and unpacking of your house. Are you goning to relocate soon?

Hi all,
NOt feeling to great today. i think i'm coming down with something flu-ish, so according to instructions I stayed at home. NO idea if the workout will happen today, and at 10 am I am already off plan eating wise. We'll see how this progresses.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

Shannon in ATL
10-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Lydia - Hey there! Was wondering how you were doing on your exam prep! :hug: sorry about your kitty.

Rabbit - ick, sorry you are under the weather. Get some rest and try to feel better!

Cheryl - thanks for the OH press info! I have been using the PVC for the ROM warms ups, and for the actual OH practice, haven't moved past the empty to the sanded one yet. Nowhere near using an actual bar at this point - I would probably drop it on my head! I need to do a better job of warming and loosening up before I throw myself into the actual practice, might be less frustrated that way. I always tend to try to point my toes in on squats for some reason, and the pointed out definitely works better for me.

Mel - wow, I would have considered the bathroom work my workout, :high: on getting CF in there as well!

Got my exercise in last night, though a little abbreviated. cardio tonight when I get home. Yoga before bed. Raining outside again...
WH Wednesday workout -
warmup: 2 rounds of the following set of exercises- Y Squat x 10, pushup x 10, stickups x 10, mountain climber 5 per side, forward lunge x 5 per side, 'waiter bow' x 10, spiderman crawl x 5 per side
Supersets - 3 sets of set one, 1 minute rest in between each set, move to set 2, etc.
Set 1 - bulgarian split squat w/ 15 lbs DB per hand x 8 per side & plank w/ T-Reach, pushup x 6 per side (the pushups after each T-Reach were my add-in, not on the actual workout)
Set 2 - half squat/hold/squat/hold/jump x 10 & side plank x 30 secs per side
Set 3 - three way lunge x 5 per side & bridge w/ 5 second hold x 12

Has anyone else ever done a three way lunge? I don't know that I'm doing it right...

Good day everyone!

Mel
10-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Lydia- So good to see you :wave: I'm so sorry about the cat. It really does seem like a milestone event. :hug:

You are going to be the most certified person I know!

Tonight's CF workout:

I started with practicing handstands because I got there early. I CAN DO THEM!!!! It is so cool I can't even describe the feeling.

Max dead lifts
3 -3 - 2 - 2
I ended at 205 pounds- I've done more, but after all the handstands and the tweaky back from yesterday's painting, that's all she wrote, folks :)

then:
at 70% of max: 9 deadlifts
20 wall balls (15 pound ball)
20 yard sideways crab walk

5 rounds for time.

Who knew that dead lifts would seem like rest???? :eek: The crab walk was horrible.

I left totally exhilarated :crazy:

Food has been good and clothes are fitting nicely :D

Mel

4rabbit
10-16-2009, 03:00 AM
Hi all,

Mel - that workout sounds INCREDIBLE!!! I want to be you when I grow up!

I'm still on the verge of a flu, so taking it very easy: this does not look well for my bunny this week. Also sticking to the food plan is not working. I'm now on to plan B: I put on my skinny jeans to remind me for the rest of the day that eating because I'm ill and need to feel better does not work.

On a positive note: DS is getting into working out: he swiped my bench & weights and yesterday he also started looking for a place to do pullups. I was in bed, but DD reports he was doing situps in front of the TV.

have a great day all,
Rabbit