General chatter - I did it!! I passed my PhD! Greatest Goal of my Life!

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Sorry this is a long post, if you actually get through it, you are a total superstar!!! and I thank you :hug:

Monday the 28th of September 2009, was THE most important day of my ENTIRE life. The day of my Viva PhD (a viva is an oral examination where you defend your thesis and you have 2 examiners who are experts in your field).

A little background:

I've been working on my PhD for the past 9 years. It has been a real battle and struggle, a huge mountain to climb. A dark cloud constantly over my head. I had to put so many things in my life on HOLD. Alot of sacrifices, everything was " i will do X Y Z after my PhD". It was always on my mind no matter where or what I was doing.

After my first year, i proved that the original project was wrong, so in my 2nd year, i had to start from scratch on another project. That project was to develop a new technology, which was much harder than we all anticipated. That was a huge struggle which took a total of 6 years! Constantly failing and starting again and again

Then in 2005, I thought of a new project with the help of a visiting professor at the time, I approached my supervisor that I really wanted to do this alongside my other project. With alot of hard work and determination, it proved successful. I then published my first paper in 2007. And then I published another paper in 2008.

2007 - I had to take on a full time job and work on my PhD at the same time, luckily it was in the same lab though.

Last year (2008) I officially left the lab and finished all my experiments.
I was working on my thesis, slow and steady. But during the summer of 2008 - I recieved a letter from the university- that I HAD to submit by the end of october - or i would FAIL.

>>If i did not hand it in by the deadline, it would be an automatic FAIL!

So last summer, my supervisor had NO faith in me that i would be able to do it and left me drowning to fend for myself. I was completely distraught and doubted whether I would do it. I hit rock bottom, and was even having suicidal thoughts. I know I would never have actually done it, but I just wanted the misery to end and to just run away from it all, I wanted nothingness.

But by alot of help and support of my parents, brother, family and friends, they pulled me up, and told me, I can do it, and to just do it!! To do the best of my ability, and it didnt matter whether i passed or failed, as long as i knew in my heart that I did the best i could.

So everyday I worked hard on my thesis and kept on working and everyday fought with my mental demons telling me I can't do it.

I handed in my thesis by the deadline - but my supervisor was still not satisfied or had faith in me that I would actually pass my PhD. He told me, I would have a BRUTAL viva. He basically made me feel that I was not going to be able to pass my PhD.

Again I fell, but managed to pick myself up through the support of my family and friends.

So in 2009 I was studying for my Viva and waiting for the day, that I would be told when it was. (I was told about 5 weeks before the actual viva).

So all of 2009 - I still did not feel confident, but I kept reading these quotes that I had stuck on my wall last year; which I really want to share with you.

And started studying hard for my Viva, :book2: I wanted to make sure I knew my thesis inside out, to be able to defend it, and to know as much of the literature of other research as possible. But I still doubted myself and kept thinking I would fail. But then thought, let me just try and whatever happens happens.

The words of my supervisors kept haunting me, that I didn't know any background knowledge. So I hit those papers/books hard. Each day was stressful, studying and making sacrifices and not living my life, but just studying. It was my jail sentence, and I had to do the time.

Burn the boats
When ancient Greek armies travelled across the sea to do battle, the first thing they would do after landing was to burn the boats, leaving them stranded, with no way to make it home besides the victory, the resolve of the soldiers were strengthened.

When SUCCESS and FAILURE are the only options, you have no choice but to follow through

One day plus another has an ACCUMULATIVE effect (Andrew Matthews)

You'll be amazed at how much work is possible to accomplish in a month, if its the LAST month.
'When a man knows he is to be hanged in a week, it concentrates his mind wonderfully' (Joan Bolker)

Wherever you are, it is the place to start. The effort to expend today DOES make a difference (Andrew Matthews)

A tree as big around as you can reach starts with a small seed;
a thousand-mile journey starts with one small step.

Everyday is more important than how much time you spend, or how many pages you produce or the quality

Then in August 2009, I came across 3 fat chicks, and my life was changed FOREVER. I found this amazing support system, and the most wonderful people all in one place. I joined and started reading people's goals, and their fight with weight loss, and I found it all so inspiring!! People who had achieved their weight goals, people who were just starting out and working hard each day, people who had come so far and changed their lives and continued to do so. It was all very inspiring. I thought to myself these people are completely changing their lives and bodies and are not giving up.

I had always struggled with my weight, always been abit on the heavy side. And I thought, I don't want to just be studying, I want to get my body into shape aswell.

So then through this wonderful site, I learned about The show "The biggest loser" and I watched a season of it, and I was INSPIRED!!

I couldn't get enough of it. I watched these overweight people fighting for their lives, pushing through the pain, and doing everything they could to lose weight and save their lives.
I could relate to these people, because I felt that my PhD was my life, and it was life and death for me.

I then started to listen to Jillian Michaels podcast (which I learned about from this forum), and she was sooooooooooooo inspirational, I cannot even begin to tell you. She completely changed my mindset !!! I went from a weak little mouse, to a tiger - someone that felt stronger, both mentally and physically. I admire her so much, and she is such a role model for me.

The most pivotal moment, was from season 6 from the biggest loser, when Jillian was telling Colleen, what are you afraid of? And Colleen said, of failure, and how she just didnt let herself try, because she was so afraid of failure. I was in tears, because I felt the EXACT same way, with regards to my PhD. I kept telling everyone, I think I'm going to fail.

But listening to Jillian Michaels Podcast really helped me. Especially one podcast- where she spoke about how when you take control of your body, you will feel stronger, and how losing weight has an EFFECT on other aspects of your life. And that is so true!!!

I started working out harder, I started watching my calorie intake, and I began to lose weight, but more importantly I felt more confident!

I really would love to write to Jillian Michaels to tell her how she really had a huge IMPACT on my life. Does anyone know how to do that?

I even listened to her podcast whilst I was waiting for my Viva!! and her voice was so comforting, and during my Viva, I felt I was chanelling her!! lol. I felt confident. And I actually really enjoyed my Viva!!!

After my Viva, the examiners called me into the room and told me

"We're happy to tell you, you have passed your PhD. Congratulations Dr Echo (obviously said my real surname here hehe).

It was the HAPPIEST moment of my entire life!!!!! :angel::cb::dance::broc:

The feeling I had is comparable to those contestants that win the biggest loser. :celebrate:

My PhD was my Mount Everest and on Monday, I conquered it!!!!

My soundtrack for the past month were the following songs from the biggest loser. And everytime I went for a run, I would feel more confident. That if I can run for 1 minute, then I can do anything. And the day before my Viva, I wanted to record how long it would take to run 1 mile (challenge suggested by bigsexy for our blue team). And I have never been able to run for very long, and I did it in 11 minutes and 38 seconds, I felt like I was going to die, lol but I did it (but did take quite a few walking breaks).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aByA-svpXYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4RQDwZbZRA&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAd5c3Dc29A&feature=PlayList&p=650E789133027DDA&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

I realised we all have the power within ourselves, just waiting for you to tap it. ANYTHING is possible, if you believe its worth it.

The most life altering moment, for me was a few weeks ago - I was riding my bike and listening to the Jillian Michaels podcast, and a caller rang in and said, she's not sure if its worth it (losing weight)

And Jillian Michaels said, "if I told you, that if you run for 1 hour on this threadmill and tommorow morning you will wake up 100 lb lighter, would you do it?

The caller said "yes"
Jillian Michaels then said, "then its worth it"

"Two things are needed to accomplish something, you thinking its worth it, and you believing in yourself that you can do it"

"Everytime you do exercise, you will one day wake up 100lbs lighter".

I took that and adapted it, and said to myself, just study that paper, or read through this chapter of your thesis, because if it meant I would pass my PhD if i just read that one paper, I would do it.

Thank you for reading my story. It really means alot to me, to be able to share this with all you wonderful and inspiring people. And if you read all of it, then you are a total superstar! And I cannot thank you enough!! :hug:

If you just believe
You can move mountains with dreams
The higher you climb
The better it gets
Cuz you will see things
You’ll never forget
If you just believe

It’s like I’m falling through my own fears
They used to haunt me, but now they’re not here
There’s no looking back, my future is clear
No giving up
And I’m holding on when it gets rough
Cuz you can get through most anything

No one says it’s easy
And no one says you have to be perfect
But as long as you try
You’re always gonna find
It was worth it

Suzie Mc Neil: Believe

Everytime I was scared to revise or panicked that I wouldn't be able to pass my PhD, I kept remembering Jillians famous quote

FEEL THE FEAR- DO IT ANYWAY!!!!!!!!

I even wrote it on a post-it and stuck it above my computer!

luvja
09-30-2009, 09:19 AM
Incredible.
:congrat: :congrat: :congrat:

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Incredible.
:congrat: :congrat: :congrat:

wow you're so fast luvja! thank you so much luvja!! :D really means alot to me :)

AbbySinthe
09-30-2009, 09:26 AM
What an amazing & inspirational story! Congrats on making your dreams come true. Great job! You should be so proud of yourself because we're all so proud of you!! :hug:

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:32 AM
What an amazing & inspirational story! Congrats on making your dreams come true. Great job! You should be so proud of yourself because we're all so proud of you!! :hug:

awwwww Thank you so much AbbySinthe!! you're so sweet!! I REALLY appreciate that so much!! :hug:

pintobean
09-30-2009, 09:34 AM
Fantastic!!! :woohoo: SO happy for you. I agree, everything is possible with hard work, dedication and you believing in yourself. Thanks for sharing :)

dutchgirl
09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Echo, what an amazing accomplishment!
Congratulations on getting your PhD, and congratulations on not letting negative voices in your life stop you on your road.
You are inspiring me to get on with a few things in my life, so thank you for that.
:congrat:

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Fantastic!!! :woohoo: SO happy for you. I agree, everything is possible with hard work, dedication and you believing in yourself. Thanks for sharing :)

awwwwwwwwww Thanks Pintobean!!!!! :carrot:
thank you for reading it :hug:

LotusMama
09-30-2009, 09:36 AM
Dr. Echo:

What a tremendous journey you have had and what an amazing accomplishment. Congratulations!

Given what you have accomplished, there is nothing you cannot do.

Cheers,

J

Onederchic
09-30-2009, 09:37 AM
OMG Echo!!! You are amazing! Congrats :cheer::hug:

midwife
09-30-2009, 09:41 AM
First, a huge congrats, Ms. PhD!!!! :carrot:
Second, thanks for an amazing post. I'm going to reread it a few times. One thing that really stood out for me was:

If that is not the PERFECT motto for weight loss, for any journey or change or goal, I'm not sure what is.

You rock!!! :broc: I'm so proud of you! Way to go!!!

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:47 AM
Echo, what an amazing accomplishment!
Congratulations on getting your PhD, and congratulations on not letting negative voices in your life stop you on your road.
You are inspiring me to get on with a few things in my life, so thank you for that.

awwww thank you so much dutchgirl!! that's such a lovely thing to say. I really appreciate it. and it makes me soooooooooooo happy that my story has inspired you!!! that to me is the best part! :hug:

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:48 AM
Dr. Echo:

What a tremendous journey you have had and what an amazing accomplishment. Congratulations!

Given what you have accomplished, there is nothing you cannot do.

Cheers,

J

awww thank you so much jrmohr! and lol at Dr. I still cant get used to that, feels so funny hehe.
Thank you so much for the message, I really appreciate it!! :hug:

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
OMG Echo!!! You are amazing! Congrats :cheer::hug:

awwwwwwwwwwww Michelle!!! thank you so much !! :hug: You inspired me!!! everyday! :hug:

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:50 AM
First, a huge congrats, Ms. PhD!!!! :carrot:
Second, thanks for an amazing post. I'm going to reread it a few times. One thing that really stood out for me was:

If that is not the PERFECT motto for weight loss, for any journey or change or goal, I'm not sure what is.

You rock!!! :broc: I'm so proud of you! Way to go!!!

awww you are so sweet midwife!! thank you so much and i love that, that you're going to re-read it a few times!! thats so nice!!

yes you are SO right! that quote is so appropriate for losing weight and everything in life! i'm glad you like that quote, as its my personal favourite too!!!!!!!!

aww thanks so much :hug:

Onederchic
09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
I love ya, girly! ♥

Fressca
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Congratulations, Doctor - fantastic story! I can FEEL the pride radiating through that post!

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I love ya, girly! ♥

aww love ya too !

Echo
09-30-2009, 09:59 AM
Congratulations, Doctor - fantastic story!

heheheheheh thank you soooooooooooo much!!!!! :hug:

I can FEEL the pride radiating through that post!

lol hehehehehe :devil: you can, hehe thats so funny...

its like all these past years, i felt so low everyone constantly asking me and making me feel crap for still working on my phd and still being a student. not having finished it or passing it. but now i feel like a phoenix arising from the ashes.

and not afraid to stand up and say, yes i accomplished it. its like one time i heard jillian say, that when people would say to her that YOU did it, and she would say, no dont give someone else the credit - i didnt do it, YOU did it.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_aqZn4zCGmME/Sn9QHYF2ZZI/AAAAAAAAAAM/UMBbsXqZyQw/s1600-R/PhoenixRising.jpg

Sunnigummi
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

:carrot:I knew you could do it, girly!!:carrot::D

BTW, we have VERY similar stories about our roads to PhDs. That sucks that you had to deal with it too. I always thought to myself I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. :hug:

Come back to daily confessions, where all of us can give you a hug!!! :D

Taurie
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Congratulations Dr. Echo! That's amazing. xx

EZMONEY
09-30-2009, 10:27 AM
As a father, I watched my daughter's challenges as she went through college working on her school work and playing competitive tennis. I saw the pressure on her, I saw her deal with I.B.S. through this stress.

I watched her graduate Magna Cum Laude with Honors....I was there when she defended her thesis for her Master's Degree.

Her I.B.S. has passed :carrot:

Reading your post today reminded me of those days a few years past.

I can "feel" your JOY!

To accomplish what you have done, not only with the PhD, but more importantly what you have learned about "surviving" in life, has really made my day....a day that is going to sad in a lot of ways for my family.

Thank you for sharing :hug:

Thighs Be Gone
09-30-2009, 10:32 AM
Congratulations DR. ECHO! Just hearing that has to make you feel incredible. Really, that is a fantastic achievement. Congrats again.

4myloves
09-30-2009, 10:35 AM
Congratulations!!!

Time to change your user name???

I love your story & your quotes--so many people would have given up.

I hope your supervisors that gave you a hard time apologize to you for ever doubting you & making you doubt yourself. Shame on them.

bargoo
09-30-2009, 11:00 AM
Congratulations Dr. Echo ! What an outstanding accomplishment. I was inspired by your story.

weightlosswanted
09-30-2009, 11:11 AM
WAY TO GO!!!! What an amazing story! Made me cry just as much as a biggest loser episode : ) I'm trying to figure out how to get back to school and finish the last 1-2 semesters of my BA so I can become a teacher...sooo inspired by your accomplishments! I'm sorry your professors/supervisors weren't more supportive of you. I had a great education professor who never gave up on me at a time I was struggling and wanted to give up on myself. She's the one who inspired me to become a teacher. I think you should post your story on a blog...print it out and hang it over your computer and any place else you'll see it on a regular basis to remind yourself that you ARE a WINNER!

BillBlueEyes
09-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Congratulations Dr. Echo

annie175
09-30-2009, 11:31 AM
Echo...remarkable....i Got Goose Bumps! You Make Us All Proud!

Echo
09-30-2009, 03:26 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

:carrot:I knew you could do it, girly!!:carrot::D

BTW, we have VERY similar stories about our roads to PhDs. That sucks that you had to deal with it too. I always thought to myself I wouldn't wish what I went through on anyone. :hug:

Come back to daily confessions, where all of us can give you a hug!!! :D

Thank you so much Sunni!!!!! wow I didnt know you had a similar struggle!!

awww you got it babes!!! i missed you girls!

-------------

Congratulations Dr. Echo! That's amazing. xx

Thank you so much Taurie!! :D so nice of you to say!!
-------
As a father, I watched my daughter's challenges as she went through college working on her school work and playing competitive tennis. I saw the pressure on her, I saw her deal with I.B.S. through this stress.

I watched her graduate Magna Cum Laude with Honors....I was there when she defended her thesis for her Master's Degree.

Her I.B.S. has passed :carrot:

Reading your post today reminded me of those days a few years past.

I can "feel" your JOY!

To accomplish what you have done, not only with the PhD, but more importantly what you have learned about "surviving" in life, has really made my day....a day that is going to sad in a lot of ways for my family.

Thank you for sharing :hug:

aww Thank YOU for sharing your own personal story and for reading mine!! you're message was so sweet, thank you so much EZMoney!!!!!!!!
your daughter sounds amazing! you brought her up well!
-------------

Congratulations DR. ECHO! Just hearing that has to make you feel incredible. Really, that is a fantastic achievement. Congrats again.

awww Thank you soooo much Thighs Be Gone I really appreciate that!!!! :D

------------

Congratulations!!!

Time to change your user name???

I love your story & your quotes--so many people would have given up.

I hope your supervisors that gave you a hard time apologize to you for ever doubting you & making you doubt yourself. Shame on them.

lol you're so funny 4myself :D

aww im so happy that you loved my story and quotes, that means so much to me!!!

thank you so much 4myself!!
---------

Congratulations Dr. Echo ! What an outstanding accomplishment. I was inspired by your story.

thank you!!! aww that makes me so happy that you were inspired!! :) thank you so much bargoo!!!
---

WAY TO GO!!!! What an amazing story! Made me cry just as much as a biggest loser episode : )
awwww you just made me cry when i read that!!! :hug: :hug: :D
thank you so much weightlosswanted :hug:

I'm trying to figure out how to get back to school and finish the last 1-2 semesters of my BA so I can become a teacher...sooo inspired by your accomplishments! I'm sorry your professors/supervisors weren't more supportive of you. I had a great education professor who never gave up on me at a time I was struggling and wanted to give up on myself. She's the one who inspired me to become a teacher. I think you should post your story on a blog...print it out and hang it over your computer and any place else you'll see it on a regular basis to remind yourself that you ARE a WINNER!

aww thank you!!! I am going to print out all these lovely messages aswell! all of you guys are totally AWESOME!!

that is so awesome!!! i wish you all the best !! and im so happy you're inspired by my post.

that is such a great idea about printing it out!! and making a blog or something. i will definately look into that ! thank you!!! :D

--------
Congratulations Dr. Echo

awww thank you sooo much BillBlueEyes !!!! :D:D

---------

Echo...remarkable....i Got Goose Bumps! You Make Us All Proud!

you're so sweet! thank you so much annie175 !!!! :hug: such a nice thing to say

Echo
09-30-2009, 03:28 PM
YOU ARE BRAVER THAN YOU BELIEVE, STRONGER THAN YOU SEEM, AND SMARTER THAN YOU THINK...christopher robin to pooh

i love your quote in your signature!!!! i'm going to have to add that to my own collection! awesome. love winnie the poo. what a great quote !

JulieJ08
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Fantastic and so inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

CONGRATULATIONS DOCTOR ECHO!!!!!

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

yoyoma
09-30-2009, 03:55 PM
Wow... good for you, Doctor! And: In your face, Mr. Snide Thesis Adviser!

Congratulations!!!

Echo
09-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Fantastic and so inspiring. Thanks for sharing!

CONGRATULATIONS DOCTOR ECHO!!!!!

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot:

Thank you sooooo much Julie!!!!!! :) :) i'll join you in your carrot dance!! hehehehe :carrot::carrot::carrot:
=============

Wow... good for you, Doctor! And: In your face, Mr. Snide Thesis Adviser!

Congratulations!!!

Thank you so much Yoyoma!!!! :) :)

and LOL!!!! haha exactly ;)

SunshineCA
09-30-2009, 05:44 PM
Awesome!!! Congratulations!! :bravo:

MoveMoveMove
09-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Dr. Echo

We here at 3FC confer upon you the award for total dedication and sticktoitness.

You go girl!!!!!!

When my former boss told me how hard her doctorate team was on everybody, I decided I probably won't be going for one myself. She explained to me that it's kind of like a sorority/fraternity thing - they went thru ^%** to get theirs, so they figure it's their right and duty to put others thru it. Tradition you know. Personally I think that sucks, but hey I'm not in a sorority either.

CONGRATULATIONS.

Echo
09-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Awesome!!! Congratulations!! :bravo:

Awwww thanks so much SunshineCA!!! :D:D
---

Dr. Echo

We here at 3FC confer upon you the award for total dedication and sticktoitness.

You go girl!!!!!!

aww thanks so much MoveMoveMove!! LOL!!! :D i thank you for the award!! :carrot:

When my former boss told me how hard her doctorate team was on everybody, I decided I probably won't be going for one myself. She explained to me that it's kind of like a sorority/fraternity thing - they went thru ^%** to get theirs, so they figure it's their right and duty to put others thru it. Tradition you know. Personally I think that sucks, but hey I'm not in a sorority either.

lol!! thats funny!!! you're right, it is like a sorority.

murphmitch
09-30-2009, 08:23 PM
Congratulations on this momentous achievement!

I have an idea of how much hard work this is. My oldest daughter is close to finishing her lab project and will start writing her thesis for her PhD soon. She has certainly had her share of battles. Had to deal with a verbally abusive prof. first 3 years and finally had a falling out with him a year ago. He basically fired her after 3 years of lab work. She didn't take it lying down and filed a grievance with the university (sexual and verbal abuse). She also filed complaints against him through the medical board of the hospital they are associated with. He bad mouthed her so bad to other professors, she had a terrible time finding a new lab, especially with all the budget cuts and poor economy. He tried to contact her and pressure her during this time. The graduate department was very unsupportive and basically kept telling her to move on to a new university and start over. I'm so proud of her. She stuck to her story and would not be swayed. She talked to an attorney and was ready to file legal action with the school if she wasn't reassigned. The student advocate told her they were violating her contract with them if they did not do more to assist her to complete her degree (which they didn't seem to understand). She was finally reassigned to a new prof. (who told her all the nasty stories her old prof. had propagated against her). She is now in a wonderful lab, really enjoys her work and her new boss said she is such a hard worker and quick learner that he realizes they were all lies told about her. She is right on track to get her PhD and will be presenting her project in New Orleans next month at a neuro-oncology conference. It takes a really strong person who believes in themselves when you feel like you are swimming upstream. I'll bet your family is extremely proud! :D

PS, the horrible professor that my daughter filed complaints against left my daughter's university this fall and is teaching elsewhere this year. I pity who ever is working with him.

Sweetcaroline
09-30-2009, 08:33 PM
Congratulations Doctor !!

CountingDown
09-30-2009, 09:09 PM
http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs36/i/2008/252/2/6/WOOHOO_Jump_2_by_awake1.gif

What an awesome accomplishment!

crzymom6
09-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Amazing. You should be so incredibly proud of yourself.

Feral
09-30-2009, 10:04 PM
DR ECHO -- CONGRATS!!!! :) Your post was amazing and so inspiring! You should be so proud of yourself. If I were you I would write a *neener neener* letter to my professors that said it couldn't be done... or if you know someone going through a similar situation trying to get their PhD write them a note to encourage them. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Echo
10-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Congratulations on this momentous achievement!

I have an idea of how much hard work this is. My oldest daughter is close to finishing her lab project and will start writing her thesis for her PhD soon. She has certainly had her share of battles. Had to deal with a verbally abusive prof. first 3 years and finally had a falling out with him a year ago. He basically fired her after 3 years of lab work. She didn't take it lying down and filed a grievance with the university (sexual and verbal abuse). She also filed complaints against him through the medical board of the hospital they are associated with. He bad mouthed her so bad to other professors, she had a terrible time finding a new lab, especially with all the budget cuts and poor economy. He tried to contact her and pressure her during this time. The graduate department was very unsupportive and basically kept telling her to move on to a new university and start over. I'm so proud of her. She stuck to her story and would not be swayed. She talked to an attorney and was ready to file legal action with the school if she wasn't reassigned. The student advocate told her they were violating her contract with them if they did not do more to assist her to complete her degree (which they didn't seem to understand). She was finally reassigned to a new prof. (who told her all the nasty stories her old prof. had propagated against her). She is now in a wonderful lab, really enjoys her work and her new boss said she is such a hard worker and quick learner that he realizes they were all lies told about her. She is right on track to get her PhD and will be presenting her project in New Orleans next month at a neuro-oncology conference. It takes a really strong person who believes in themselves when you feel like you are swimming upstream. I'll bet your family is extremely proud! :D

PS, the horrible professor that my daughter filed complaints against left my daughter's university this fall and is teaching elsewhere this year. I pity who ever is working with him.

Awww thank you so much murphmitch!!! that really means alot to me.

thank you for sharing your story about your daughter. how horrible!! its sooo scary and so sad that these things are more common then people realise!!! i'm sorry she had to go through of all of that. but its clear that your daughter through your support is such a strong person and probably has become even MORE stronger by having to go through all of this.

each underdog has its day!!

im so happy that she's in a better place now and is appreciated for her hard work.

please please wish her all the best for her thesis writing !! and i recommend a book that REALLY helped me write my thesis.

its called - writing your dissertation in 15 minutes a day by Joan Bolker.

i wish her all the best!

aww you must be so proud of her. as my parents and family are of me :)

thanks again for your message!!

Echo
10-01-2009, 07:54 AM
Congratulations Doctor !!

thank you so much Sweetcaroline!!! :D:D

http://fc02.deviantart.com/fs36/i/2008/252/2/6/WOOHOO_Jump_2_by_awake1.gif

What an awesome accomplishment!

aww thanks so much Countingdown!! :):)

Amazing. You should be so incredibly proud of yourself.

aww such a nice thing to say. thank you so much crzymom6 :):)

DR ECHO -- CONGRATS!!!! :) Your post was amazing and so inspiring! You should be so proud of yourself. If I were you I would write a *neener neener* letter to my professors that said it couldn't be done... or if you know someone going through a similar situation trying to get their PhD write them a note to encourage them. Thank you so much for sharing your story!

Thanks so much Feral!! hehehe aww i'm so happy you found it inspiring!!

LOL @ neener neener LOL!! thats so funny!!!
thats an awesome idea! yep i will do that! thanks again :) :)

murphmitch
10-05-2009, 10:50 PM
please please wish her all the best for her thesis writing !! and i recommend a book that REALLY helped me write my thesis.

its called - writing your dissertation in 15 minutes a day by Joan Bolker.

i wish her all the best!

aww you must be so proud of her. as my parents and family are of me :)

thanks again for your message!!

I will pass this along to my daughter. We are very proud of her. She was very difficult as a teenager. She was one of those "strong-willed" children. I'm glad to see that attitude is helping her now. She is very determined and if you tell her she can't do something, she'll go out of her way to prove you wrong. Her lab director messed with the wrong girl this time. I told my husband, if she was a guy her attitude would be viewed as "normal", but to many guys, she's seen as being a hard-a$$.