Exercise! - No Fat Chicks - Exercise tips for overweight beginners

nelie
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Stumptuous.com is a great site with lots of info but there was an article posted titled "No Fat Chicks" on it.

The article basically says that most exercise isn't meant for overweight beginners. It has some advice and a beginning workout plan.

http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks

If you don't know where to start, it is a great place to start. Even if you aren't overweight, it has some really good tips and Stumptuous.com definitely deserves to be read by anyone interested in fitness.

Ilene
09-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Thanks for link to that article Nelie great advice and article...

Dollar hunter
10-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Great thread.i was in search of this only,now i ll start from this thanks for advice.

entrepa
01-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Thank you so much for posting that! That is a wonderful, common sense article that addresses issues too often overlooked. Especially:

In addition, a body which is carrying a lot of excess fat is already working hard to move itself around. Overweight people who are avoiding moving around arenít lazy, theyíre sensible. Itís a lot of effort to get going when you have excess mass to carry along with you.

I guess I'm like a lot of people. When I'm not trying to lose weight, I tend to avoid facing the harsh reality of how overweight I am. Then when I finally get up the gumption to try again, I'm frankly horrified and I want to get rid of it as soon as possible trying to do too much, too fast. And most of the weight loss advice is exactly as this article states: not for very overweight people who are just beginning to exercise.

alex19114
01-12-2010, 04:25 PM
That article is fantastic! I remember feeling great in high school when we went to the weight room in gym for two weeks... that was two years ago, but I think I will try lifting again. Thanks for the link!!!

santton
01-13-2010, 11:06 AM
Great article, thanks for posting it!!!

Haviva
01-29-2010, 10:15 AM
I find myself perpetually sore from working out and this info. is very helpful.

dundun1021
02-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Thank you for the link. I am still trying to add the exercise part to my program.

llmw1951
02-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the link! I find that if I skip one day it's over with........I say Oh well I messed up. I'm way better off when I can stay focused & exercise everyday!

Serval87
02-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Great link.

Wizzie
03-17-2010, 03:20 PM
That site ROCKS! Thanks for sharing

nurseamber
03-29-2010, 10:53 AM
that was really great article, I just don't know if I can see myself lifting weights.

rebeccamichelle777
04-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Stumptuous.com is a great site with lots of info but there was an article posted titled "No Fat Chicks" on it.

The article basically says that most exercise isn't meant for overweight beginners. It has some advice and a beginning workout plan.

http://www.stumptuous.com/no-fat-chicks

If you don't know where to start, it is a great place to start. Even if you aren't overweight, it has some really good tips and Stumptuous.com definitely deserves to be read by anyone interested in fitness.

That was a great article!

I've often thought about the same things. Every time I tried so hard to keep up with yet another pilates dvd I had bought. I realized that I was having to work so much harder than this woman on the tv whose only body fat was on her tiny breasts!!!

When I realized that most of these people CANNOT do these exercises if you say PILE 8 10LB BAGS OF POTATO'S ONTO THEM!!!!! I realized I would have to customize, customize, and customize!

Due to my osteoarthritis and 70lbs to lose I designed an exercise regimen that doesn't cause me injury. If you're interested I have posted them here on a blog.http://osteoarthritisexercises.blogspot.com/2010/03/burning-buns.html

The part that made me laugh out loud was when I read "overweight people shouldn’t weight train because it will build muscle that will push the fat out more"

KellyBean88
04-08-2010, 04:16 AM
Thank you so much for posting this! Awesome link.

ShanAlise777
05-18-2010, 12:49 AM
great article! i'm excited to start up the gym now!

gshillitani
06-06-2010, 09:08 PM
I just joined 3FC forums and I'm happy to have found this thread! I enjoyed the article and I am starting to work with a trainer tomorrow (joined the gym today). I will keep the advice in the article in mind when I go! Thanks!

Gina

nona337am
08-13-2010, 05:08 PM
I just printed this ~ thanks!

SeaWave
08-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Great link. I especially like the gradual increase shown in the 12-week 'program'.

beni
10-17-2010, 07:40 AM
Many Thanks for sharing this article/ website.
I think I will find not only a lot of new ideas, but also how to implement more exercise gradually and safely.

Thanks!

Ardella
11-14-2010, 08:18 PM
that was a really great article! my biggest issue, though, seems to be have more to do with motivation. I seem able to find MANY reasons to not fit any type of exercise into my day, and often talk myself out of some b/c I think, you know, just walking around the block isn't even enough exercise to be worth it. anybody find any ways to finally get over this motivation hurdle?

Oh_Canada
11-16-2010, 10:51 PM
:hug: Great Post thanks Nellie

amanda8o
01-12-2011, 08:04 AM
thanks so much for this site I was really wondering where i would start from and think i'm gonna use this starter program and see how it works i think i can handle 2 or 3 days of working out and start off easy then work my way to longer workouts and more days..Thanks Again for this!!!

takingcontrol
02-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Great article thank you! I've been finding the cardio in my workouts really tough, but have been reluctant to do more weight training. Not anymore! :)

Astrida
04-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Thank you for sharing :)

mom24uk
05-07-2011, 05:56 PM
that was a really great article! my biggest issue, though, seems to be have more to do with motivation. I seem able to find MANY reasons to not fit any type of exercise into my day, and often talk myself out of some b/c I think, you know, just walking around the block isn't even enough exercise to be worth it. anybody find any ways to finally get over this motivation hurdle?

I know this is an old post but I'm responding for anyone thinking the same or for the OP if they are still around.

My motivation is the scales and seeing myself improve. I love food and would find it hard to have any weight loss if I didn't exercise. I also set mini targets that I'm enjoying beating. For instance when I started walking to the local supermarket instead of using the car, it took half an hour just to get there using the "easy" (flatter hills) route. 5 weeks later and I can get there and back in that time!

lunachik2014
05-29-2011, 07:26 PM
soo helpful!!!

Wannabehealthy
06-05-2011, 11:33 AM

I know I'm responding to an old post, but the information in the article is right on. I am 65 years old and overweight. When I started my exercise program in January I was walking on a treadmill for 15 minutes at 1.5 mph. I did this for a couple weeks, then added the elliptical for 4 minutes. I was sweating when I finished my "workout". As time went on, I found that I could go longer and longer, adding a minute each day or so, and also increasing my intensity. After reaching a total of 30 min each on the treadmill and elliptical, I decided to add weights. That was a laugh. I was using the weight station my son left at home when he moved out. I could hardly move the things! But every time a weight got "easy" I added more weight. I am still at it, 5 months later. I was told at cardiac rehab to exercise 300 minutes a week. Yesterday, I did 105 minutes of exercise. It is now exhilerating. I will never look like a 20 something body builder, but I am stronger and healthier. I am still struggling with my diet and weight loss is very slow, but I feel so much better. My blood pressure has dropped and my meds have been cut back, and I'm working on lowering my blood sugar. So it can be done no matter how old or fat you are. You just have to start out slow and keep at it. If you go to an aerobics class or do an aerobic tape, modify. Instead of kicking when everyone else is kicking, just slightly lift your foot. Because you are so out of shape, that will be aerobic FOR YOU. You won't get that terrible soreness that makes everyone quit and eventually, you will be kicking with the best of them. You can do it!

Carol

sweetgirly1
06-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Awesome article! Thanks so much for posting : )

bonitakeyvaj
06-23-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks Neli for the post great information! :dancer:

MagdalenaRaela
07-05-2011, 11:41 PM
I just found this and it's awesome- thank you, Nelie! :)

I've been going to the gym for just over a week now and I'm meeting with a trainer tomorrow- I definitely plan on talking about this article and incorporating strength training into my new routine!

IrishKat
07-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Thank you for posting this. Exercise is what scares me the most. I try to do what is on the videos or exercise programs show and I feel like a big fat failure because I cant do it. That makes me not want to even try.

chubbycanuck
07-13-2011, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the article link! I do take care with my body because it's carrying around almost another person. When I started running I got fitted for proper shoes and orthotics and a good sports bra and I only run on grass, sand or a sprung track to help my joints. I do find my previous dancing training helps with excersice because I know how to lower the impact on my workouts until I am down to a lower weight. There are many forms of excersise that are low impact for obese people. Swimming and yoga are good starting excersises because they are full body workouts.

Ksoteric
11-30-2011, 03:18 PM
Awesome article!

reanbean
12-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Oh my gosh, I was practically rolling on the floor laughing with this, "why do marathoners all look like beef jerky?" HAHAAHA!!! :yay:

Thanks so much for the good laugh. YES! I knew my short bursts were a good idea!!! Let's not hurt ourselves ladies. There's nothing wrong with picking up a light dumbbell and swinging it back in forth. I personally get a nice sweat going when I lift light weights the right way ;)

AlmostMe
04-10-2012, 06:18 PM
This is a great article. Last summer I injured myself because I was trying to do too much too soon. I wasn't exactly an exercise beginner, but I was a beginner to running and definitely pushed myself too hard.

I'm starting to run again, but much more slowly. I'm making sure I take rest days and do low-impact exercise at other times (aqua and yoga).

And as for weight lifting! Hurray!! I started lifting weights back in the day when they said fat chicks SHOULD NOT be doing that as it couldn't help you lose weight. Well, it did for me and it's great to see people seeing sense.

Anybody who is thinking about exercising but hasn't started. Start! It makes you feel so much better and gives you more energy. So many great benefits! But like this excellent article advises do what you can, do what you like, but just do it!

Iyakamae
04-12-2012, 07:54 PM
I have 5lb dumbbells at home that I'm nervous to use. After reading that article, I think I'm going to give them a shot. Definitely an inspiring read.

SuperRad
04-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Ok, that article was awesome...

Iyakamae
04-28-2012, 09:30 AM
I simply love that article. Everyone should read as its very honest and realistic.

FattyFatFat
05-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I enjoyed reading the article as well. It was very motivating actually, as it tells people to stop worrying... just do it. "You know... like NIKE! LOL"

sorsita
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
love it thanks for sharing

v3r0n1k4
08-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Thats a really great article. Now that I am feeling better on my 2nd week of eating healthy I am ready to start some sort of excercise. I dragged out the old incline treadmill which I havent used in years (10 probably) which I never used it much anyways. I totally busted a sweat and after two min was like , ughhh is this really good? could this kill me? my rib cage felt its on fire.lol So, I stopped.... put in a load of laundry and then did another two min. That was it for me. WEAK! I know. Ill go for 3 min next time.lol Going to the dr tomorrow to get my bloodwork and all done ekg n stuff just to make sure Im not gonna kill myself or ask her what I should look out for. I know I can walk I looked at some treadmills. My old one is built in incline. I can NOT change it...this is much much harder than just walking alone. I wanna buy a normal "walking" one. They all have weight limits of like 200-300 lb. Can anyone reccommend some good treadmills or any heavier people have one that they havent broken yet? I sure dont plan to bounce around on it, not yet anyways... but Id hate to shell out the $500 bux or so and have it break in under a week or two.lol Any advice would really help.

v3r0n1k4
08-24-2012, 05:03 PM
ok and I know someones gonna say...just go for a walk outside. Dont say that cuz I dont wanna. I have issues.lol Maybe that will be one of my goals like ok I lose 20 more lbs and I can walk around the neighborhood with slightly less shame.

cfan
08-25-2012, 06:03 PM
I know that beginning exercise is hard. I am just starting to do it, but the main problem I have had for year is that as a child, exercise was used as a form of punishment. So I do not like to it at all. However I just got the kinect xbox with 'games'. That has been interesting.

lonely in winter
09-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Thanks for the link! :)

Psyence
10-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi! Thanks for the article - it's really helpful! I've been doing the couch to 5K thing the NHS has and that article just reaffirms the fact that short bursts and building up to longer workouts really is the way to go. Yay!

kiah6
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
I know this is an old thread but I needed that article so much today! Thanks for posting it!

Sharelle
01-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Very glad I read this article. Makes sense but I just hadnt thought about it like that before. I've been walking on a treadmill, slowly as that's all I can do but will add some weights now too. Wouldn't have dreamed of doing it before reading this.
Thanks for the great information.

Alicia546
03-19-2013, 04:39 AM
Great info--luckily I saw someone overweight who had trouble with her knees, so that got me researching on how losing weight will also help lesson the pressure on your joints!

It's also why I didn't start out on the treadmill, not only do I like the elliptical, but it also doesn't involve me pounding my feet down when stepping.

I think plenty of cushion in your running shoes would help too.

VedaSue
03-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Wow !!! What an eye opener !! Sure will be sharing this article for my 18 year old daughter as well !! Thank You !

valarielala
04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
Like everyone else here, I am so motivated by this article! I haven't ever read so much great, articulate information about working out for the overweight. I LOVE the notebook idea. Perfect.

Kscott
05-05-2013, 05:55 PM

I didn't really care for the article--it's way too negative. First of all for an overweight beginner (nothing--and I mean nothing) is going to be easy--if they have been a couch potato for decades. Any type of exercise is going to cause a lot of body anxiety--and the overweight beginner is going to feel like stopping after two minutes.

Starting out is not fun. It certainly is not easy. Overweight beginners are going to get out of breath fairly quickly--they're going to get hot and start to sweat. At first--arms--legs-ankles--knees--and other muscles and yes joints are going to hurt. What's to like about any of that?

For the article to state do this exercise and not that--is ridiculous. No one--including overweight beginners came out of the same clone. I say do what you like to do--IOW--move it in any way you can. If you like to dance--dance--find a Zumba or Jazzercise class. If you like tennis--play tennis. If you like to walk--then walk. If you like to run--then run and start out doing these activities right from the beginning. YES--it's going to hurt-you're going to sweat gallons--you're going to get sore-you'll feel like stopping--but just do it--and eventually that pain and sweat will be replaced with success. "Get comfortable with being uncomfortable."

Furthermore--a lot of the personal trainers--aerobic instructors--etc. of today used to be in the 100 lbs. overweight beginner category themselves. One of my Jazzercise instructors was 100 pounds overweight. She's a great instructor today. She started out several years ago taking Jazzercise classes-and has lost over 80 pounds over the years doing what she liked and still likes to do.

soon2beskinnyCarma
05-23-2013, 03:25 AM
What a great link. Thank you.

DanRae
05-29-2013, 09:30 PM
love this! most articles focus on the skinny and fit people!

Gavvie Farron
06-30-2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks for this, I was actually due to start at the gym tomorrow and would definitely have overdone it. Now I think I'll focus on the weight training and trim down first. Great article

Kscott
04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Thank you so much for posting that! That is a wonderful, common sense article that addresses issues too often overlooked. Especially:

In addition, a body which is carrying a lot of excess fat is already working hard to move itself around. Overweight people who are avoiding moving around arenít lazy, theyíre sensible. Itís a lot of effort to get going when you have excess mass to carry along with you.

I guess I'm like a lot of people. When I'm not trying to lose weight, I tend to avoid facing the harsh reality of how overweight I am. Then when I finally get up the gumption to try again, I'm frankly horrified and I want to get rid of it as soon as possible trying to do too much, too fast. And most of the weight loss advice is exactly as this article states: not for very overweight people who are just beginning to exercise.

I have been watching My 600 lb. life on TV, and the doctor encourages exercise after their initial weight loss. A lot of these people have been basically bed ridden. One woman only walked 78 steps a day, and the average person does 5100 a day. So doctor encouraged her to start walking to increase her weight loss.