Weight Loss Support - The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #6

Arabella
07-22-2002, 06:09 AM
The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! :cool:) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days :rolleyes: but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! :love: YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

Arabella
07-22-2002, 06:22 AM
Good Morning, Blockettes!

I have been off the block for quite a few days now, taking a little break. I feel like I'm ready to get going again, though. Especially since I know that otherwise I'll end up gaining :eek: Don't want to do that! I can, and will do this thing!

Had my 47th birthday on Thursday, and have been a little piggy since the day before :o On Saturday, we had a big party to celebrate (Fun!) and almost everyone that I hadn't seen for a while was saying I'd lost a lot of weight. i haven't really, so that must be the exercise, but it was nice anyway.

I've got to run. Let's make this a good one, Blockettes! Love to all...

xo
babette
1/208 (-7)/2

upandaway
07-22-2002, 02:35 PM
Happy Monday Blockettes! How was everyone's weekend? Mine was okay. No loss on the scale, though. Guess I just have to resign myself to the fact that it's going to be slow going for me to lose now. Oh well, like I've said before I feel so much better being on program that going off now would be just plain stupid. Of course I've been known for my extreme stupidity a time or two. :) Babette, or Queen Arabella I should say, your tag line has stayed with me alot the past few days. "Would you give anything to be slim? Then give it!" Amen sister.

upandaway
15/9/2

Punkinseed
07-22-2002, 03:49 PM
LOL, Babette you crack me up!!! :lol: The end of the #5 thread was too funny...

:hb: Happy Belated Birthday to you too!!!! :hb:

Thank you Upandaway... I had an excellent but too short weekend. I posted alllll about the excitement on #5. I learned how to drive and operate our big tractor!!! :D

s'all for now!
Terri

deleted2
07-22-2002, 06:23 PM
Happy Birthday, Babette!!!

Terri, yes indeed--you have my permission to pray like crazy for me--pour it on!!! I've had a really positive day--call me crazy but I think that I'm going to be okay, that's the feeling I'm getting. It was supposed to be my first day alone at home but I still couldn't quite face it so I had a friend come over and "babysit" me. We watched lots of trashy TV; it was glorious! Still not able to eat too much but am making myself have smoothies and lots of green tea.
I even did my dumbell routine and did the bike for 20 minutes. I think it helped to go to work for a few hours this morning--I need the distraction and I need to feel normal, you know?

Think healthy, Everybody! ;)

Amarantha2
07-22-2002, 08:10 PM
I love the way you think about food. I really thought about your idea about eating the "purest" food available. I'm thinking how I could challenge myself to do that for one day next week. Today I drank "oceans of water" and thought about how you'd made the image so appealing (I think it was your phrase, apologies if it wasn't). You are doing great ... regards from Amarantha's Spa, South Empire!

:strong:

Kaylets
07-23-2002, 06:43 AM
Hello all!!

Queen Eydie: Am so impressed at how quickly you found excercise to cut the edge of your stress-- and so, so impressed with your dh for taking you for a moonlit walk!!!

Queen Babette, your one year younger than me!! If you remember, my birthday was the beginning of the month- !!

I think the heat is making me cranky- Maybe a sweaty treadmill walk would do me well too-- I saw some ex coworkers Sunday and realized how much I miss them and others. It made my new job very hard to go to on Monday. I know I have no reason to complain, I was so excited when I was offered this job-- but I guess it just makes sense that there would be a "grieving process" for the old job. I know in time, this 'newcomer' feeling will pass-- but it can't come soon enough!!

To top it off, since I'm now in a new group of women, you guessed it, my cycle has changed and I don't even know if this is PMS or just me being a weinie.

and then, when I did go to work yesterday, I did not get a single comment on my hair until noon and that was by someone not in my group. AND that was the only comment I got the whole day. SO< either it is the absolute worst color and cut job anybody has ever seen or----

Oh well, its time to get ready for work-

My best to everyone- thanks for listening!

Arabella
07-23-2002, 08:13 AM
Good Morning Blockettes!

I'm very happy to be doing this again. After all, the little (at least measurable) difference was so hard won, it would be a shame to let it go. And that's what happened last summer -- I relaxed and when I looked up again, I'd regained 15 pounds :eek:

Thanks for all the birthday wishes! :D

Eydie, you're doing just great! I know this is a very difficult time, but it seems that you're using it as an opportunity to become more centered. It's wonderful to see! My thoughts and prayers are still going out...

Punkin, thanks for the vision of you driving the tractor! Cool!

Kaylets, sorry you're having a tough time settling into your new job. It always takes a while to get comfy. I wouldn't worry abot the hair thing though -- I think some people don't comment about stuff like that until they know a person fairly well. I bet you look great!

Upandaway, my tag line came from me looking at one of my sisters who is in absolutely fabulous shape, and thinking "I'd give anything to be that slender" and then thinking - "Well, obviously, if that were true, I would be slim, because it is definitely within my power. Just have to do it -- so simple, huh :rolleyes: (in fact, I'm don't even aim to be quite as slim)

Amarantha, thank you so much for establishing the spa and making us all so welcome there. I'm heading there on my break this morning....mmmmm.... think I'll have a massage and then frolic in the healing waters :)

Let's make this a great day!
xo
babette :wave:
2/208 (-7)/2

upandaway
07-23-2002, 10:25 AM
Was yesterday the longest Monday in the history of the universe? I thought it would never end!

Happy Belated Birthday, Babette! I completely missed it, sorry. I think my senility is getting worse.

Kaylets, I agree with Babette about people not commenting on someone's appearance unless they know them well. I am that way, or used to be. I've made an effort to speak up the past couple of years. I realized through WW that the compliments are such a boost when someone notices a change, that I try to pass that on to others. Doing it has also helped me learn to accept a compliment with a polite "thanks" instead of picking it apart, trying to tell the giver how wrong they are. (Example: "You look great, how much weight have you lost?" Me--"Not nearly enough, I still have ____ to go. But thanks." ) I realized that's throwing the compliment back in someone's face.

Punkin I have this vision of you on that tractor, trucking along, moving earth and getting sweaty. Keep on truckin'! Oh man that was bad, wasn't it? :)

I'm trying to keep a positive attitude since the fruitless weigh in on Sunday. In light of what Eydie is facing, I really, REALLY shouldn't whine about it. Like Amarantha I've given alot of thought to what you said about putting only the best, purest foods in your body. You're continually in my prayers, keep up that positive attitude.

Prevention magazine did an article in April called "Plate Power". The concept is simply to divide your plate into sections. Half the plate gets filled with fruits and/or veggies, the other half divided into half again and one half gets protein, the other starchy foods. A friend of mine showed it to me in late March and said she was going to give it a try. I saw her yesterday and she looks great, she said she'd lost about 10 pounds, but it looks like much more. And that's all she's done, divide her plate, she doesn't exercise at all. Of course she doesn't have a problem with sweets like I do so that's not a challenge for her.

Have Healthy Tuesday, everyone!
upandaway
16/9/2

Punkinseed
07-23-2002, 01:51 PM
Hello everyone!!

Nothing terribly exciting happening today... I may cancel my vacation coming up because of the fires. I can't imagine leaving my cat-kids at a time like this with fires, lightning and evacuations still happening. Our local fires are further, but with it so hot, dry and lightning in the forecast.... I donno', I don't think I can leave.

Eydie - You got it then! We're having a full moon ritual tomarrow, you'll be included in spirit for healing and emotional strength. You sound like you're doing great though!

Kaylets - Our bodies never cease to amaze me... here we are in the 21st century and womens bodies still attune themselves to each other as if we were still in the caves.... I hope the "I'm a newbie" feeling goes away soon.

Babette - Ha, you want more of a visual of me driving a big ol' Kabota tractor??? I was also wearing a straw hat. Go ahead, giggle... :lol:

That's all for now... I have a tree guy coming to do some trimming soon - that should help me sleep better (the 100 foot tall juniper with branches 4 feet from my house make me a tad nervous right now). Other than that, I'm tired.... very tired and wishing it would just be Friday already!

Day 1 of recommitment week is going fabulously so far.

Terri :moo:

Amarantha2
07-23-2002, 02:21 PM
HRH Arabella, the Wood Nymph: Adding to your birthday wishes! Another year wiser.

Eydie: I'll be bringing down the moon and sending thoughts your way! :strong:

To all, thanks for being here. Your continual healthy commitments and good spirits buoy me up!

Amarantha (She of the Walking Poles)

Cindelier
07-23-2002, 05:33 PM
Hi all. We made it back from Illinois safely. Did not stay OP though (deep dish pizza is too good to pass up and being on the road makes diet choices a little harder) Got off work early today-since the office is moving my computer isn't even there yet, which makes it very hard to work. Guess we're back to Day One. I think I'm going to take a tip from Babette and work on the one day challenge along with the 21 day challenge. My challenges will be to keep drink more water and to get to the gym at least twice a week! Wish me luck!

Punkinseed: Glad to hear you're still with us. Still praying that fire goes out!

Eydie: You take it easy--I hope you're doing well. I haven't been back to the last post to check yet. But you're in my thoughts.

Kaylets: Hopefully Tuesday has been better. We're moving our offices so even though my job has not changed the people have--their so quite, it's like they are dead..but our group is loud. Hopefully there won't be any clashes. Grieve for the change but look forward to the challenges..try to keep in touch with those old coworkers. Email works wonders. AND I'm SURE your hair is wonderful!!!

Everyone else: Happy Tuesday! Wishing you the best.

Last note: did talk to my roomate, I'm so relieved she didn't make a scene. Only once tried to make me feel guilty - but it didn't work. Maybe I'm getting stronger after all.

:)

Kaylets
07-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Hello all!!

Thanks to all for the pat on the back-- you're right, my hair does look ok- and its such a small thing, considering-

and you're right, maybe they don't know if I want to be noticed-- Its just the differences that I keep noticing.

Just another example of habits I guess, -- isnt that the perfect segue back to the block--

OK, here we go-- it must be time for a pep rally
-- ( I know, speak for yourself, and I sure could use it)

Ok, you all know this one

" We are the Bloccccckkkkeeetttttes,
the migggghhhhttttyyyy mighty Bloccccckkkkkeeeettes,
Everywhere we ggggggooooooo,
people want to knnnnoooooooowwww,
who we are

soooo we saaaayyyyy.....

We are the Blockettes...

Repeat (louder this time your graces!!)

So...

Punkinseed, was that you I saw at the tractor pull on ESPN?? Do you have flames painted down the side of that tractor?

Aramantha, if this stalking continues by the BLOB you might consider putting a big bell round his neck so at least you can get a running start --

Upandaway- Yes, let the record show, it was the longest Monday on record- but watch out, next Monday is a strong contender

Babette- we continue to run the same course, I came back OT late May after almost a year lapse but I gained back more than 15- went up a size and that was gettting too tight too--

Eydie-- so glad you're to hear from you -

Cindelier- sounds as though you made some good food choices while you were on the road- glad the roommate discussion didn't go as badly as you anticipated-

Elaine R- how's it going??

and everyone else I'm missing--

( sorry, you guys put this in my head)

You got to keep on truckin' .....

Big storm coming in, be careful out there !!

Arabella
07-24-2002, 06:14 AM
Good Morning, Your Royal Majesties!

I had such a neat thing happen last night. I went to buy clothes with a check i'd gotten from MIL for my birthday (looking for jeans among other things, which is not something she would have been thrilled about, but -- hey! that's what happens when you give a check: you don't get to pick! :p ). Anyway, I had been surprised a while back that when I measured my girth I was only :rolleyes: a size 18 (I realize this is elephantine in some folks books, but it was good for me). And then I measured again and was somewhere between an 18 and a 16 the next time.

Well, this might have been obvious, but I was very surprised :fr: and thrilled :cb: to discover that the 18s were too big. I almost got them anyway, because they were just borderline-big, but decided to try on the 16s and they fit. Girlfriends, it is a LONG time since I wore a 16! :cp:

Kaylets, thanks for the cheer! I'm going to be singing all day. Let's see ... what tune can we set that to ...

Cindelier, I think that the combo of daily goals and using them towards the 21-mark might just work. I mean, really, people do this in the real world, adapt their plans to suit the circumstances... then we're in less danger of failing and gaining weight, esp. unless the daily plan is: Today - PIG OUT :ink:

Queen Punkin, you continue to inspire. My vision of you now has you on a big ol' tractor in exquisite trailing draperies, and sporting a tiara. You rule! FYI, here on PEI we have a "Queen of the Furrows" competition every summer...

To all Your Royal Majesties: Have a wonderful day -- catch you at the spa? (Dibs on the towel boy! ;) )

xo
babette
1/208 (-7)/2

upandaway
07-24-2002, 08:22 AM
:cp: :cb: :cp:
Babette, AWESOME news on the jeans!! And the running, oh you must feel fantastic! Ride the high of success to another great day! Many, many congratulations!

Ok, the image of Punkin sitting on a huge tractor with flames painted on the side, wearing a tiara is stuck in my mind like bad song you can't rid of.

Eydie, keeping our fingers crossed and hearts hopeful today.

upandaway

Punkinseed
07-24-2002, 11:23 AM
Well, I WAS going to say I was feelin' a bit poopy today. But, all the talk of me on the tractor with a tiara has me giggling. :lol:

I'm probably coming down from all the stress of the fires. I donno', but I'm feeling a bit weepy for no real reason (no PMS with Depo, so that's not it). It's going to be a "be kind to me" day. You guys are a kick, thank you so much!

My tree guy came by yesterday to quote what it's going to cost to trim back a couple trees and remove some that are already fallen. $1000 :fr: Holy :moo:!!!!! Well, I'm having 1/2 done now and the other 1/2 later. The most important (for fire reasons) is cutting back the limbs from my house. It's money well spent, but man!!! That's a LOT of cash!

HRH Cindelier - Welcome home! I'm happy you made it back ok. I've never been to Illinois, but isn't Chicago known for their pizza?? I'd think visiting Illinois and not having pizza is like going to Hawaii without having a mai tai.... Just my opinion though. ;) Sounds like you've got an excellent plan to get back on the wagon.

HRH Kaylets - The blockettes song will play in my head all day now. :lol: As for whether that was me or not on ESPN... I'll never tell.... muahahahahahaha! :devil:

HRH Babette - I think the change of sizes is incredible and exciting!!! If you'd have bought the 18's I would've driven over there, thrown you in my car and made you exchange them for the 16's!
Now, tell me what the PEI thing is and Queen of the Furrows? Is this something I need to look into now that I'm tractor queen extraordinare???

You all know that now I'm going to find a tiara next Halloween and take a picture of me on the tractor wearing it right??? I'll save it as my avatar - I swear, I'll do it!

Must attack my billing today. I hate billing, I hate billing, I hate billing.... QUEENS SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO BILLING!!!! Well, fine, I'll do it, but then I'm heading to the Royal Spa.

Terri
Day 1 perpetually, always striving for day 2

Arabella
07-25-2002, 08:18 AM
Good Morning Royal Blockettes!

I am very happy to report another successful day! I think that using the one-day challenge and getting a succession of them going is really working! :cp:

Queen Punkin, I am so glad that we managed to alleviate your royal poopiness yesterday. Really, the image of you in your flowing gown and sparkling tiara, riding that big ol' tractor and sobbing as you plowed was just way too poignant.

PEI is Prince Edward Island, where I live. The Queen of the Furrows contest is a beauty pageant in one of the rural areas here (guess what the talent component is - yup, plowin'). You may have to visit!

I HATE billing too. It's the only thing that's harder to make myself do than the dang work. :rolleyes:

Eydie, hope everything went well yesterday. We're all sending positive thoughts your way!

Upandaway, thanks for all the congrats! I do feel better, between the smaller size and running (not to mention getting back OP), I feel like I've made some important shift towards success! I don't necessarily expect to see it reflected on the scale, but ... sooner or later it will be.
[b]
Have a wonderful day, Blockettes all (and lurkers too)! Treat yourself with all the loving care and attention that you know you deserve.

Punkinseed
07-25-2002, 10:18 AM
A successful morning!!!! Yes, I do love these 1 day challenges - something I just might be able to attain! :cb:
I won't mention how I screwed up yesterday so completely though... Well, today I can officially say that I am on my way to a legitimate "Day 1".

Babette - I'll be there! Call me the Princess of Plow, the Dutchess of Dirt, Queen of Kabota... Tiara atop my head I will royally move the earth while waving oh, so delicately :wave:

Eydie - How are you?? How was your appointment yesterday?

Nothing much going on (besides more fires) out here in the great wild Pacific Northwest. Just when the air was clearing lightning started another fire near here (but not too close). I'm starting to look forward to SNOW!!! :rolleyes:

Terri

upandaway
07-25-2002, 02:53 PM
Good morning all, or I should say good afternoon now. Where has the day gone? Oh, now I remember. Intended to mow the lawn, mower wouldn't start. Stopped at Walmart and the missing phantom pictures that I'd dropped off 5 weeks ago miraculously surfaced. They never even bothered to call and tell me they'd found them.

I skipped breakfast this morning, too tired of what I've been eating to bother and didn't feel like thinking up something new. After the 20 minutes of fighting with the darn mower my usually sunny morning disposition went sour. I wonder how many points worth of activity that fruitless effort was worth?

I'm still on program but feeling like I'm swimming in molasses just to keep on going. Maybe it's the heat. Or maybe I'm just a big baby and want to see results for my efforts RIGHT NOW. Yes, I'd love some cheese with my whine, thanks.

Punkin you always crack me up, every time, thanks. I'm baking some Krusteaz FF brownies to freeze for those must-have-cake cravings, so please call off the bug. Wait, keep it on hold, I may need it later.

Happy Thursday everyone, stay cool.
upandaway

Punkinseed
07-25-2002, 03:58 PM
Upandaway - Filbert is in my pocket eating lint. If you need him just let me know...
I think WalMart are poops and they should've let you know that your pictures showed up too.
AND I think all the fighting with the lawnmower IS exercise!!!!

Glad I could give you a giggle. My Mom says she has a hard time working with me because I can be distracting. I feel blessed that I have a weird sense of humor and can make others laugh :lol:. Actually, my Mom blames my Dad for how I am. He used to walk behind her in stores limping like Quasimoto when she was pregnant with me, saying "yesss, master, yeeeessss". Guess this nut didn't fall far from the tree.

Hi ho, hi ho...

Terri

Arabella
07-26-2002, 06:14 AM
Popping in to report that I've made it to Day 5. Yay me! :cb: I'm going easy today, because I feel a cold coming on and have gotten a lot of exercise the last several days, so I'm just walking and doing tai chi.

Plus a lunch out and our usual Friday night splurge has me setting my point limit up there. I probably have enough points saved , if I'd been paying attention, so it should be ok.

Have a wonderful day, All.

Punkinseed
07-26-2002, 03:30 PM
Welllll, the blues have returned.....
I just got off the phone with my friend in CA and she told me they decided that whether I come down or not they're keeping their plans to go dancing in San Francisco. She said they figured I'd want them to go and not sit around because I'm not there - which is VERY true, but it just rubs in the fact that I'm not living near my closest, dearest friends anymore and sometimes I just feel incredibly alone and left out....
I keep reminding myself that I chose to stay in Oregon because I fell in love with it, but it doesn't keep me from missing my old life and being *really* pissed about how I ended up here in the first place (divorcing my idiot ex when he refused to even try to stay married).

No wonder I've been eating like I have been - this is "classic Terri". When I'm happy food is safe, but depression, loneliness and anger??? Watch out and lock the fridge...

So, like I stated in the 1 day challenge, I'm going to do my best to do as little damage as possible until I get my head on straight. This weekend I'm going to keep myself (and my hands) busy with yard work, scrapbooking, reading and crocheting. Next week I'm going to go reconnect with my friend whom I haven't seen in 3 weeks or so. That should help with the loneliness too.

I'm drinking my water, eating my fruits and veggies... the rest is going to come soon.

Terri

deleted2
07-27-2002, 08:12 AM
Hi Guys! I just wanted to chime in with an update here. Went to the oncologist Wednesday and he's going to do more tests [MRI, CT scan, Chest x-ray] to rule out any spreading. So all he's able to do at this point is speculate, but I feel confident in him because he specializes in this type of cancer. [leiomyosarcoma---I have grown to hate that word!]

He did say that "the odds are overwhelmingly in my favor' and I have a "90% chance of being cured for life"! All very positive, I know, but I'll feel much better when he can tell me that after seeing the proof in the x-rays. I may have to have more surgery on the site and I may have to have radiation. Or It's possible that I may just be closely monitored for a while. [I will have to checked for the rest of my life, by the way.] I asked him if it was possible that I was sitting here before him, totally cancer-free, and he said yes, it was a possibility that since the tumor had been encapsulated that's all there was! Wouldn't that be great?!!!!

He advised me to not do any strenuous exercise for a while, so that's been a bit disheartening 'cause it's such a big part of my routine for so many years. So it's yoga and tai chi for me and I have a chi gung video I may try today.

I've adopted a modified macrobiotic diet for healing and I still have lots of fresh organic produce coming in from the garden so that's good. And I'm taking lots of supplements every day.

Things are happening so fast for me. I wish I could write it all down, but it's going so fast and I'm so distracted. But strangely, it's good! I feel surrounded by love and I feel that this is a wake up call for me. I do look forward to the time when I can think about something else though! Soon!!!!

Amarantha2
07-27-2002, 11:44 AM
Queen Eydie!!!! Thank you for the update as all your fellow royalty has dwelleth in suspense!

It all sounds so promising and as though you have found the right path to lead you through this journey.

A long rotation of soothing mind-body workouts such as tai chi, yoga and chi gung sounds so good. I'm thinking of trying that myself. Can you do pilates and gentle healing walks ... maybe find a labyrinth in your area or even make one with stones in your house or yards?

Your post has inspired me to continue my own journey to health and consider the trip a joyous challenge rather than an occasion for sorrow.

Onward!

Wildfire
07-27-2002, 03:14 PM
Hey all...remember me?

We're almost settled in our new place, just a few more boxes to unpack. Then it's on to making new curtains, buying rugs, etc...the fun stuff! We still have to go back to the old apartment this weekend to finish cleaning and pick up odds and ends that were left behind. It's strange, but my new apartment feels like it's happy I'm here. No, I'm not on psychotic drugs. I just had this feeling since I first started coming here to do some painting. On several occasions I've had the feeling that someone/something was watching me, and I just smiled and said out loud "It's wonderful to be here, we're going to be very happy together." Yesterday was the first day since we moved in that we were all out for the day. (My daughter is away for a few days.) When hubby and I came home from work, a computer had been booted up, the radio in my bedroom was turned on, but not on a station (which are all pre-set) but just to static. The lizard lights are on a timer and were turned off. When we left for work, the computer was off, the radio was off, the lizard lights were on.

So as I sat soaking my feet for a pedicure in the bathroom, I had a little conversation (albeit one-sided) with whatever/whoever it is that occupying this apartment. I explained that we were going to take very good care of this place, that we were happy to be here, and that we intended it to be a happy place to come home to. I said it was nice to have "company", but that we didn't appreciate any mischief or fiddling with our electronics. I explained that our cats will always be here for company if *it* is lonely and that we will always come home after work. I suggested that I will leave the television on in our bedroom on Monday, and if it is still on when we come home then I will continue to do so. If by some chance it is turned off, then I won't bother.

I know there was an elderly lady who lived here that died in the apartment, about five years ago. Since then there have been four other tenants. High turn-over. I don't know if it could be her, but there is definitely an energy in this place.

Anyway, I've been off program since the move. I don't know if I've gained/lost because I haven't been near the scale. I'm starting over today, with the hope that my weigh-in this Wednesday will not show a gain. We went out last night, and the girl that I went with said she was jealous because I looked fabulous (had on a flippy black/red short skirt, snug black t-shirt, and strappy red high-heel sandals). This girl is half my size, but said she felt fat and frumpy next to me. :cb: (Love this guy!) Boy, that made me feel great!

Babette, sorry I missed your birthday! Happy Belated!

Eydie, glad the news is positive from the doctor. When do you start the tests?

Punkin, I have to ask...what's a Filbert and why does he live your pocket and eat lint? Sorry you've cancelled your vacation. I know how much you were looking forward to it.

Hello to everyone else! :wave:

jelynn
07-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Hey everyone!
I've had a really good week- well, up to Thursday night. There are just food that I know I can't eat and Keebler Grasshopper cookies are one of them! I found them at a liquidation store for $1.69 and couldn't resist "for the kids" of course ;) Anyway, I have had too many- love them frozen. mmmm...
Thursday night a friend wanted to go for dessert and I had such an awesome week workout wise- eating too really, that I went. Actually that's not where it started...that was with the Dominoes pizza I was totally craving.
I haven't been as far off track yesterday and today, but not totally on either. Tonight we have a church potluck with KFC provided. I think Day one will be tomorrow.
I did go to the Farmers Market this morning and have stocked up on produce- nothing better than fresh farmed produce! I was especially hungry for beets-- hope they are good!

DH and I are going to do a cleanse for the next 12 days- so that will be a challenge in and of itself, but a good one I think. You can eat all the fish you want and plenty of fruits and veggies, also, almonds, soy, all oils except peanut. Really, it's just cutting out all sugar, white flour and dairy. Should be interesting, but I would love to start eating more this way and I think this will be a good place to start.

Well, enough about me-
Wildfire-interesting about the "presence" in your new place -- I'll be interested about the TV on Monday! :)
Edyie- great news from the Dr.! You sound so positive and healthy- continue with the updates!!
Terri- if you are eating your fruits and veggies and drinking your water, I think you're right- the rest *will* come- just take it as slowly as you need to. Sorry you are missing your friends :(
Babette- take care of yourself- Hope you don't get that cold that's trying to catch you! :)

Have a great weekend everyone!
Emily :wave:

Kaylets
07-27-2002, 04:26 PM
Hello all!!

The hot weather is coming back as we speak, by tonight it will be very warm again. We had a couple days of wonderful weather and it was great.

Found out a couple friends who lost their jobs when I did are so unhappy with their new jobs they are angling to get back to the old place even though its a totally different position. At first I said, "so, I'm not alone going thru this " and then I said " but I never once thought about going back, I guess, I'm not that miserable". Perspective, its a beautiful thing. :spin: :rolleyes:

Finally saw the Changing Rooms where the lady is so unhappy she leaves the room to cry but you can still hear her because she's got the mike on-- I've seen worse rooms but that's just my taste and I can totally relate to just hating
something because its the wrong color palette or......

My husband came up with a really tasty Avocado/Black bean mixture that we put into little whole wheat pitas and work out to 7pts for the two. Let me know if any of you would like the recipe, up until today, I was never an avocado fan ..

Q Wildfire- glad the move is going well- can't wait to hear if the tv is on or off when you come home Monday!!!

Q Eydie- :spin: :rolleyes: :cb: This is wonderful news! And YES it would be so great if nothing had spread!! I am rooting for you ! Glad to hear the garden is producing. Our tomatoes just stay green.

Q Punkinseed, how's the weekend going? :)
Being homesick stinks. We still miss living up north but I can't imagine doing this without my husband. Do you have any favorite interests you can expand upon? Whatever it is, its wonderful how a whole domino effect happens. For example, last winter, we put up 2 bird feeders off our living room where we could see the birds feeding. By spring we knew we wanted to expand the garden in that area, and by 4th of July we had redone 3 garden areas, added to the patio, etc, etc. I can't get any tomatoes to ripen but that't not the point! Maybe your craftstore has lessons or ....

Q Babette- GOOD GOING!! :cb:

Q Upandaway- YES, fighting with the lawnmower does count! not for much, but still!! Don't give up! Just float for awhile... We have all the the Krusteaz here in DE, where did you find the brownies and how many calories please? :spin:

Q Punkinseed-:eek: WOW on the treeman - I hope he's not taking advantage! and I think you're right about the stress from the fires. Sometimes crying makes me feel better.

Q Aramantha- We bought stevia today. Have you ever tried? I was wondering if you had any advice?
:?:

Need to go check out the spa, havent been in a few days and I feel like a steam.

Be careful out there!

Amarantha2
07-27-2002, 05:33 PM
Kaylets: I haven't had stevia for ages, so no advice from this quarter except to use less than you think you'd need. I use Splenda all the time now and really like it.

Please do come to the spa! It's a holiday!

Wildfire: I love your ghost story. Bet it's the lady and she's so happy to see you. What are lizard lights?

Hi, to all you Royal Blockettes! I need to get off the computer, so I'll say good-night, Gracie!

upandaway
07-27-2002, 06:59 PM
Happy Saturday, everyone! Hope the weekend is going well.

Welcome, Q. Kim and welcome 'home' Wildfire! I love the story of your (may I?) ghost! I love your approach to it as well, unafraid, willing to peacefully co-exist. I used to laugh (uneasily) at the idea, but as I get older I believe more and more. I guess it takes the experience of years to put the fear of the unknown aside long enough to accept the possibility. I had to laugh at your question to Punkin, because she invented Filbert for me. I was having major cake temptation and she said she saw a but crawl up and burrow into it. I'm pleased to say I didn't eat any! Since then I've baked the FF brownies and asked her to keep him handy, just in case! :)

Kaylets I'd love the recipe for the black bean/ avocado thing. I love black beans. The Krusteaz brownies are 120 calories each, for 16 servings per box. I backed them into mini muffins, and I got 28 'brownie bites' for one point each. It's enough to tide my cravings over but not enough to get me in trouble.

Jylenn, I know all about buying those wonderful things (especially on sale) 'for the kids' and the kids never got a taste! My weakness, one of them anyway is Keebler Fudge Sticks. I used to buy two packages, one to eat when I got home, the other to save for the kids (ha!) and eat over time, like tomorrow! Oh man I used to pack them away.

Eydie I can't remember if I sent you my very best wishes yet, so many of my posts get lost the instant I hit 'submit', but please know that you're still in my prayers. So glad your dr has a positive outlook, that alone is a major plus in your favor. Keep up the positive energy!

Punkin, sorry you're feeling bummed. I know that homesick feeling all too well, and how easy it is to try to find comfort in food. Keep on with your game plan, it sounds like you're more than home free with all the distractions you've mentioned. Keep your chin up.

Babette, way to go! Pretty soon those 16's will be history and you'll be movin' on down!

On the home front, I'm very puzzled about the toothache. It comes and goes, regular old Advil takes care of it now, and there's no swelling anymore. It's not sensitive to hot or cold, and I can eat without any problem. It's a mystery. Thursday night I was absolutely certain I was in the worst pain of my life. I'm still going to see the dentist on Monday, just to rule out anything funky.

Hope everyone has a happy weekend! Tomorrow is weigh in day so keep your fingers crossed for me!
upandaway

13/9/2

Marusha
07-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Hi upandaway:

Just wanted to say hi to someone who was online the same time I was.
I am a newbie, just registered a couple of days ago and am very excited about being a part of this forum (or any forum for that matter). I want to lose 100 pounds, once and for all and have just started.

M

upandaway
07-28-2002, 07:53 AM
Welcome, Marusha! What kind of plan are you following? I do WW 123 Success, Babette does WW. Looking forward to getting to know you. Have a great Sunday!
upandaway

Arabella
07-28-2002, 12:13 PM
I've officially made it to day 7, almost 1/3 of the way around my second block. And given my new approach, I may just make it this time. However, I'm more than ready to see the scale start moving downwards again, so I intend to start getting a bit more focused on that. This a.m. my neighbor brought over some pictures she'd taken of me and ... guess what?! I know you'll find this v. difficult to believe, but I look FAT in them :rolleyes: What a shocker! How do I keep managing to think somehow that I have a magical formula for arranging 208 pounds on 5 feet and eight inches that doesn't come out to "chubby" :smug:? Ah, my unparalleled talent for self-delusion. Stupid reality checks! However, the good news is that it's made me more determined to get this weight OFF me! I have decided I don't need it anymore, that I don't want a buffer between me and the rest of the world. So why can't it just magically fall off me as I say that?

Punkin, so sorry you're having a lonely time. I think that overeating in these kinds of situations is what we all have in common. Most of us have been using food to comfort ourselves and to provide a substitute for real fulfillment of our needs for a very long time. This is difficult stuff! I know that I get so used to eating instead of dealing with things that I have trouble realizing what my needs are, let alone seeing that they're met. Reconnecting with your friend sounds like a good idea! I'm like you -- I have a really hard time dealing with not being geographically close with my nearest and dearest. But anywhere you are, there are likely a lot of wonderful people.

Eydie, I'm so glad to hear how terrific your chances are. I've loved hearing about the way you've been dealing with it though. Just shows what a centered person you are. These reminders of mortality can be pretty good for us, I think. I feel like I need a little bit of a push right now, but (please the goddess) nothing TOO difficult :rolleyes:

Tai chi and yoga are good, and will certainly keep you healthy until you can resume more strenuous exercise. And the chi gung will at least help you to feel calm about not being able to push it ;)

Amarantha, I love the idea of making a labyrinth. I've thought of trying to make one in my yard, but DH isn't keen on the idea. This having to consider the wishes of others is for the birds! And he's not even royalty! :lol: Bet Old Dog would let you make a labyrinth if you wanted. Or is that "HRH Old Dog"?

Wildfire, Queen of Cape Breton, so nice to see you again! Loved your ghost story -- I had a similar experience in an apartment I once lived in with my sister. Lots of lights turned on and off, and the record player always rejected one Bruce Cockburn song, although the abum played on the stero before I moved there and after I moved elsewher. In the middle of the night one time, I heard a crash and there was a jar of honey smashed on the kitchen floor, 3 feet from the closed cupboard it had been in. And I was alone in the house. The night we moved out, we (because we were both a little spooked) went together through the rooms and turned off each light. My sister realized later that she'd left her cigarettes and went back for them. When she got to the apartment, every light was ON! And I believe she left them that way! Glad your spirit is a friendly one!

Jelynn, love the sound of the "cleanse." I'm trying to talk DH into doing something like that. He has 11 pounds to lose that he obsesses over (poor lamb! :cry: ) and he would probably drop it in 2 weeks eating like that. Plus I bet you're going to feel FABULOUS! Oh, I am so going to do that... let's see... MIL comes next week, and then DH is on holiday the week after (don't think he'll go for it then). Hmmm... definitely going to do that in September. Yup.

Kaylets, YUM! :T Please do post the recipe for the black bean and avocado pitas! Sounds great! I sometimes make black beans and rice and just put chopped avocado and salsa on top. It's so good for you, too.

Do you know much about stevia? I'm always trying to find some natural sweetener (other than the usual suspects, sugar & honey, of course) that I can use. I just don't think that either sugar or the artificial substitutes are healthy. Mostly, I just try to avoid them, but occasionally it's nice to have something sweet and feel ok about it.

Upandaway, I must embellish upon your Filbert explanation -- Punkin said that she not only saw a big ugly bug burrow into your cake, but that it had laid eggs in there. I remembered, because it was the detail that worked the best for my leftover birthday cake. Eeewww... larvae infested birthday cake really loses its appeal.

Good luck at the dentist and at WI -- fingers crossed!

Marusha, congrats on starting your journey! To paraphrase a popular truism, the longest journey begins with taking a single step. Once you start, you just have to keep on and you WILL get there! And all the progress along the way will make you feel much better as you go along!

Well, I had better do SOMETHING other than post here... Have a great day -- love to All!

upandaway
07-28-2002, 03:33 PM
Thanks anyway Babette, you can uncross your fingers. No change again for the 3rd week in a row. I'm going over my journals, picking apart all my meals, looking for clues. Currently I'm re-thinking the whole game plan. I just can't keep trying so hard with no result. In looking back over my calendar I realized I'd miscounted my days and I finished up my second 21 days today. Not only can I not lose weight I can't count either.

Yes I remember now, it was the eggs Filbert laid inside the cake that did the trick! Not to say I would have eaten knowing just Filbert was in there, but, well you know.

I'm too depressed and too self-absorbed to be of much use to anyone today. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone.

upandaway

Arabella
07-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Upandaway, I've been working pretty hard and not losing for quite a while. Do you remember, I had a 3 pound gain and then a 2 pound gain when I was expecting LOSSES? :eek:

The only thing i can think to do is work harder. I know that I could measure a bit more carefully and try to go a bit lower on the points. I know exercise is responsible for a some of the not losing, but -- hey -- I'm FAT! The weight should be coming off. I was reading that at my stage of life the body wants to gain weight. But doesn't my mind even get a VOTE?

That said :cry: I'm sure that if I continue to work, it will eventually come off. So... sigh... Work it is.

Chin, up Honey. If we keep on going we'll get there. Yes, we will.

Amarantha2
07-28-2002, 11:09 PM
Queen Upandaway: Don't feel like the LR (Lone Ranger)! :) These days I lose weight so slowly, it often doesn't seem worth the effort ... but in the end I realize that had I NOT put forth the effort, I'd have gained that week instead, so I plug away. In fact, when I lost the first 100 pounds, it took almost four years; now THAT'S slow.

I started a thread for people to post motivational quotes yesterday because I was feeling so discouraged. Maybe we could keep that going and have a long thread of famous words about the importance of keeping on keeping on. Dunno. I lost one pound this week and I'm THRILLED, but there was a time when that would have driven me crazy because it's so piddly. I figure, though, if I lose one pound a week for 32.5 weeks, well, I'll be where I want to be. And if not, I won't be 32.5 pounds heavier.

Babette: I think I am going to build a labyrinth ... it'd need a ramada over it, though, as there's no shade in the yard at all. Something to think about. Old Dog IS of royal birth, BTW, but she likes to be known as just one of the guys!

Empress Amarantha accidentally misnamed the new thread she tried to post for The Imperial Spa of Challenges. She needs to nap more.

prism
07-29-2002, 02:41 AM
Hi!

I'm a fellow non fat-budger, but I haven't followed a diet plan to a "t". I just don't get it. I limit my fat. I rarely drink coke. No McDonald's breakfast/lunch. No Burger King. I'm beat. I moved my motivation calendar and my stars glittered Jan, Feb, March. Apri. May, June, July is a blank. :sp: Life's weird. After about 7 mos of waiting. Our trip invoice came in. And....my mom has something wrong with her kidney. The earliest doc can take her in is August 6th and our payment is due August 9th. It'll be tight. I can go alone, but if my mom's ill who knows if I'll be able to.

Tomorrow is a new day. A new challenge. Day one beckons. :fr:

Have a great Monday,
Malia

upandaway
07-29-2002, 07:57 AM
Good morning all! Sorry about the pity party yesterday, it took me awhile to get my head out of my butt. After all the time I spent reading over my food journal, adding calories and points, it all comes out the same. The only change I could try is to eat a little more since my activity points. I average 3-6 a day and I generally don't eat them. I kept asking myself what the answer is and there is only one answer, to keep on keepin on. The alternative is no alternative at all, to quit, re-gain the rest of what I'd lost and feel even more miserable than I do. I just have to face the fact that since hitting 40, it isn't going to come off the way it did before. Oh well, ce la vie. Also, I just plain FEEL BETTER being on program, eating healthy and getting in some activity. The feeling better is worth the effort, and while maybe I can't try any harder, I can keep trying. And I will.

Prism, so sorry to hear the news about your mom. I can certainly empathize, my mother is 76 and has become so sick and frail in the 4 years since my father died. She was hospitalized in June with another heart attack. After she went home she was still having problems and when she called the hospital to try to set up an appointment to see the dr they tried to give her a September appointment! My sister just took her in, and kind of forced the dr to see her then.

Well I'm off to ride the old bike and wake the kiddos. Their vampire days of staying up all night and sleeping all day are over.
School starts soon and that last week I have to go back to work so they'll be on their own, getting up early, and hopefully, staying up!

Have a great day everyone!
upandaway
1/9/3

Marusha
07-29-2002, 09:01 AM
Good morning everyone:

I was a sloth all day Sunday. I read in bed, ate breakfast that my husband cooked for me, moved to the couch and read some more, watched Trading Places ( love that show), and ate lunch then moved back to the bed for a nap got up to cook supper for my family but my son was out and my husband said not to cook just for him, so I didn't. (I know I'm pathetic.)

I am not following any official program. What I am doing (trying to do)is using a combination of things that have worked to some degree for me in the past:

- Exercising first thing in the morning for 20 to 30 minutes (which
usually means walking my dog)
- Yoga stretches throughout the day
- Taking up a new physical activity every year (I'm taking golf
lessons)
- Eating 6 small meals a day
- 5 to 7 servings of fruits and vegetables day
- 1 or 2 servings of protein a day
- 2 servings of skim milk or yoghurt a day
- 2 to 3 servings of carbs a day (they are my weakness)
vegetables and fruits a day
- Drinking lots of water (never a problem for me)
- Taking vitamin supplements
- One free day a week where I'm allowed to eat a decadent treat
or two (I have an incurable sweet tooth)

I realize I need to make a serious life style change to take the weight off and keep it off. I think after many years of trying every weight loss scheme out there I am finally ready to commit to it.

Finding you guys is a Godsend I think. I am in the process of reading all the old postings in this and other forums and have already found some very interesting and helpful tips which I will put to use.

Got to get back to work. Talk to you later.

Marusha

Punkinseed
07-29-2002, 11:40 AM
Hello one and all...

Uneventful weekend... I put on my tiara and washed the bugs off my car from my trip to CA 4 weeks ago. I also ate myself into oblivion... the scale shows I'm up 6 pounds - but that was after eating and drinking so I know it's not *that* bad, but it's still ugly and I knew it was coming. Good news is, this morning I have no cravings. There is nothing that I can think of at this very moment that I MUST have... I will grab on to this opportunity presented to me and enjoy however long the ride may be.
Something struck a chord on Friday, reading in my People magazine about Sharon Osbourne's colon cancer. She had none of the risk factors - but she admitted she "ate crap". I've been keeping that in mind... do I want to go through what she's going through in 20 years?? No. So I need to clean up my diet for my future.
There's another fire burning near us. I sometimes think this isn't going to end. Black Butte Ranch, just west of us, is on fire now. They lost 2 homes and had to evacuate 4,000 people yesterday. Right now over 260,000 acres are on fire in Oregon... :fr:

Thank you for allowing me my "whoa is me" lament on Friday. I will call it the Royal whine-fest. I know if I just keep busy and live my life like I always do I'll be fine. It's when my friends call and say "we're doing this or that" that I feel bummed. And feel like sending a letter bomb to my ex. :devil:

HRH Eydie - Your prognosis sounds wonderful! The Dr. sounds very positive and I'll continue my prayers that it's encapsulated and NOT going to harm you any further. The way you're handling this crisis inspires me....

Marisha - Welcome to the crowd! We'll have to make another tiara!

HRH Upandaway - You just go right ahead and kvetch (sp?) about not loosing. Really! After all that work and seeing no payoff??? Yea, I'd have a royal fit too... I'll lay down next to you and kick and scream so you don't feel lonely (or weird).

HRH Wildfire, Queen of Cardboard - I think everyone answered your question about Filbert... :lol: If you ever need some "help" avoiding something just let me know. Filbert is ready and waiting, larvae at his (or her?) disposal.
Congrats on your move and your "roommate". I have had a similar experience in my house but I know who it is. My Grandma was around a lot after I moved, but not so much anymore (I put my house on her land after she passed) and once in awhile I get my great-uncle who was a cop. I'll feel like someone's walking the perimeter of my house, checking things and once I say "ok, uncle Ed, that's enough" he usually goes away. I once had someone pull at the back of my shirt while I was looking for something to eat in the fridge too (even my dead relatives watch my diet apparently). I think the more you know about your ancestors the more they can all come to visit. I know my family back some 400 years so I think that's why I always feel like someone's around.
I think your talking to it (her?) is a wonderful idea and she probably will be a great help to have around.

HRH Jelynn, Countess of Clean - I think your cleansing idea is a great one. I don't know if I could handle a week, but I think a weekend would be wonderful!

HRH Kaylets - I HATE that episode of Trading Spaces. Every time I see it I think "Jeezus lady! Did ya NOT know that they were going to paint/redecorate/mess with your house????" I'd look at it, or *anything* Hildy does and just keep in mind that you can always repaint.... She got herself quite a reputation that lady... they STILL talk about her from time to time on the show. :rolleyes:
As for my tree guy... he did an awsome job and it's my understanding that the amount he charged is pretty much the norm. With all the fires burning around us I had no problem paying him what I did.... (although it did hurt to see the balance in my savings acct.).

HRH Babette - 7 days?!?!? You inspire... maybe I *can* do this?

HRH Prism - I really, truely hope that everything turns out ok with your Mom. I had a kidney/liver function test come back funky a couple years ago. It turned out that a migraine drug I was taking for CH threw everything out of whack and the next test, 3 mos. later came back ok. Keep us updated!

Empress Amarantha - Thank you again for the Royal Spa (curtsy, bow, curtsy). I had a most excellent time there this weekend....

I think that's it for now, I should get *some* work done!

Terri

deleted2
07-29-2002, 07:35 PM
Babette and Wildfire---we have a labyrinth here on on the far end of our property that's in need of repair and I've told Garry as soon as this crisis is past [and it will be!] we'll have to redo it. It's 32 feet across and is modeled after the Chartes labyrinth. It's made out of bark chip mulch! We just spread it into a big circle and raked the pattern into it and the pattern holds up for about 2 years. I'm rather embarrassed that we let it fall into disrepair and disuse--but it'll be revived soon before winter!

I'm keeping up with my dumbell routine and doing gentle yoga and tai chi. I must say that I miss sweating though! The food I've been eating has been nourishing for body and soul--I definitely feel like I'm on the right track with my diet.

I wish that I could write down everything that's happening but it's all happening so fast. Wanna know something weird? When the worst is behind me, I'm going to look back and see this as a turning point in my life and grateful for the experience. I feel that spiritually I'm coming alive again and I'm finding out how much I'm really loved. So easy to forget that. And for someone who's tried for years to "whip her body into shape", never happy with her body--I'm finding that cancer has enabled me to love my body at last. I really adore the old girl! So please everybody, never just collapse yourselves into a negative body image--think about how amazingly loyal the body is after all it's been thru. I hope this is making sense--I really want to get this across!

I'm enjoying reading everyones' posts but still feel too distracted to reply personally--but I'm reading and keeping up! Thanks again for all prayers and good thoughts!

Eydie

Amarantha2
07-29-2002, 07:54 PM
Eydie: So great to hear from you. I think about you sometimes during the day and drink a bit of the "ocean" in your honor.

I wouldn't worry about making personal replies ... I think everyone understands that we kind of include everyone in the Royal Family! I get too distracted myself sometimes to get all of them in, so I just go over and resteth in the Empirical Vacation Spa, South Empire.

I'm glad you've found the truth that you have a beautiful body ... that one took me years and years to work out, but I kind of adore mine, too! It has lots of rust in the engine, but it still runs and that's what counts!

Prism: Sorry to hear about a problem with your mom's health! Hope it turns out ok.

prism
07-30-2002, 02:55 AM
Hi,

Eydie, you are a sweet inspiration! Calm acceptance and positive energy. You are doing everything right in face of tremendous stress. I too feel this year is a transitional year. I feel embarrassed to be doing the first day of this challenge over and over. My goal is to be healthy for my 40th year. Twenty pounds in a year, not my best achievement but an achievement non-the-less.

21 day challenge:
1) RS foodmover
2) 64oz water
3) exercise
4) read 30 minutes of inspirational reading
5) vitamins

My prayers are with you Eydie!
Malia

Arabella
07-30-2002, 04:49 AM
Good Morning, Your Graces! :wave:
I just realized that I've gotten to the second last day of End of Month Workathon without even thinking about chucking the plan. THAT's the first time!

Eydie, I envy you your labyrinth. It would pretty much take up my whole back yard, so I guess I understand why DH is reluctant. I've thought of approaching the city with a proposal to make one in one of our unused or underused areas.

Amarantha, I think it's wonderful that you've learned to love your body. I'm working on loving mine -- sometimes I feel like I need to think of myself as its guardian, responsible for keeping (getting) it healthy.

Punkin, I liked your story about someone grabbing the back of your shirt when you were at the fridge. Somebody obviously looking after you! My mom one time, when she was getting off night duty (she was an RN) was waiting blearily for the elevator, but just as it opened and she was about to step in, there was a tap on her shoulder. She turned around and there was nobody in sight. And then, when she turned back to the elevator, she saw that the shaft was empty, and she would have fallen to her death if she'd stepped in.

Upandaway, we are definitely in the same spot. I read the other day that our bodies at this point are trying to gain weight, because it makes menopause easier. Since I've gotten through that, I'm hoping that part is over. I gained 60 pounds in the past 12 years and am struggling hard to get it off.

Anyway, the article suggested just what you'd expect. Try to counteract the tendency to gain with exercise and a healthy diet. Uh --- okay.

Prism, so nice to see you again! Sorry to hear about your mom's problem. I hope that you get to go on your trip and that it goes well.

Marusha, wish my DH would ever say something like "don't cook just for me." If i'm going out in the evening, he asks me "what is there for me to have for dinner?" I sometimes fantasize about asking him what's there for me when he's going out. And then I laugh, and laugh :lol:

Let's make it a fabulous day, Queens of the Block!

Punkinseed
07-30-2002, 06:10 PM
Hello Queens of the block (sounds like a bad prison movie! :lol: )

Eydie - Thank you!!! You've just given me an *excellent* idea! I've got 5 acres.... relaxing, meditative, healing labrynth here I come! You don't worry about not doing individual posts... I think any post is like speaking while sitting with 5 friends - you may not address 1 of them specifically, but we all get the message. ;)

Babette - That is freaky about your Mom - seriously, it gave me goosebumps! Well, just more proof that everything happens for a reason and we're not alone (cue Twilight Zone music).

So far, I can honestly call today an official "Day 1". I've been 100% on program. Yesterday I even did 7 minutes on my elliptical and believe it or not, 7 little minutes and I'm sore today!

Here's to Day 2.... :cb:

Terri

upandaway
07-30-2002, 07:12 PM
Hi friends, hope everyone is doing fine and dandy, staying cool and dry if that's what you want, personally, I'm ready for rain.

Was it providence or coincidence that following this Sunday's fruitless weigh in I that I decided to go ahead and purchase new clothes for work? While I had a hard time making myself do it, it wasn't nearly as painful as I'd anticipated. I'm still a size 12, and even if sizes are running bigger than they used to be, I feel good about what I chose. (and if they are indeed running larger, please don't tell me, I don't want to know! :) ) The providential part happened when yesterday I received notice of my back to work schedule, and instead of reporting back the week of the 12th, we have to be back NEXT WEEK! :eek: I had in fact run out of time to either lose enough to fit into the skinny clothes in my impecably clean closet or shop for new ones. Whew. This week will be spent tooling the kids around to the mall, putt-putt, the mall, the arcade, the mall, the movies, the mall...well you get the picture. DD's first reaction was "Well there goes my summer!" They don't go back to school for 3 more weeks!!

I've been sticking to my program, though not as stridently as before. I ride the bike twice a day while I can. I'm not going to be able to ride it more than once a day once I go back to work.
My food plan is the same, sticking to my points range and calories.

Sunday we had a suicide squirrel bite through a wire or closed the circuit on the power pole or something because we had this huge BOOM and the power went out all over our side of the neighborhood. The main transformer is on our property. DS walked out to the pole and found a very dead squirrel, still smoking! The poor thing's tail was fried! The repairmen they sent to fix the transformer were funny. They missed thier calling, they should be doing standup comedy someplace.

I think I'll stroll over to Queen Amarantha's Spa and see what's happenin today. I didn't challenge myself today, just perkin along.

Take care everyone.
upandaway
2/9/2

Kaylets
07-30-2002, 08:07 PM
Hello all!!

Things have been especially crazed. I got thru 99.9 of a big project which had an overlapping crisis. Too many boring details to explain it all here, all I know is I feel drained. Yesterday was so crazed I couldnt eat lunch- I took the time but could not eat. Today things loosened up a bit but it was still a very fast pace with constant checking and rechecking because of interruptions.

I did eat veggie burgers for breakfast but was ravenous by 10 so ran to the cafe to get 2 Pria bars. and that helped -

Had trouble with all the water, I have a 30 oz bottle at my side right now BUT I did it, got thru the day on point. I mean, after all, why blow it an houre

Both Mon and Tues, I went in early, tomorrow, I will not. The crisis is over, I need to pace myself for the next one.

What about the miners in PA? Amazing isnt it?? Again, when faced with the worst, the best in us shines thru. To think, as these men thought they were truly on death's door, they were praying for their families and writing goodbye notes!!
To tie themselves together so no one would be swept away --

That thought has stayed with me. This thread is my rope. It keeps me from being swept away. Through out the day, I wonder how the rest of you are doing -- if you're day is as wild as mine....
And it motivates me to stay the course even if its just for right now.

We are one terrific group. and I am grateful to be a part of it.

Be careful out there !!

upandaway
07-31-2002, 08:40 AM
Ditto Kaylets, I feel the same way! I think of us plugging along with varying degrees of success against whatever obstacles block our way. We cheer each other on and rejoice in our victories. I too am grateful to be here. Sometimes what gets me back up on that bike for one more ride is the thought of Amarantha trekking along with her walking poles or Babette doing her tai chi. (lately the thought of Punkin on her Kubota tractor wearing a tiara and feeding lint to Filbert pops into my head quite often! :) )

upandaway

Punkinseed
07-31-2002, 11:15 AM
Good morning! :wave:

I've discovered the cure for my fire-induced insomnia is a 1/2 Tylenol PM. Cured.... I feel great. Except for my legs that are still sore from my 7 measly minutes on the eliptical. Well, I'm going to FORCE myself back on it - sore is good, it means my muscles were forced outside their comfort zone. They've been "comfortable" for far, FAR too long! :devil:

Doin' ok eating wise... I think from now on after dinner I'm going to do my dishes and brush my teeth. Ditto for morning - no lollygaggin' in bed so I have enough time to formulate how good a PBn'J would be... up and brush!

BTW, Maia, my 4 month old kitten, took care of the last of my CA sourdough yesterday. Little turd pulled the bag off the counter, opened it, dragged out the last 3 slices and ate little chunks out of all three. I thanked her when I was done being mad. :lol:

Upandaway - I'm *chuckle* sorry about your *guffaw* suicide squirrel.... :lol: At least he didn't suffer!
Enjoy your last few days before it's 'back to work!'

Kaylets - Yes, I was *amazed* the miners made it out ok! That they'd made it by sharing one sandwich and 2 bottles of soda among the 9 of them.... just lifts your heart to know that kind of strength is possible in in "normal" people. It obviously wasn't their time and quite probable that they've got something else important to do in this world....
I had to grimace when our local paper covered it - the Bend Bulletin's huge headline said "Workers Race to Save Minors" - uh, hello, does someone, ANYONE proof this stuff?? I'm waiting for a smart-assed letter to the editor to show up saying "I'm sure they were all over 18 years of age". :rolleyes: So much for our paper....

So, last night I could see flames from the Cache Mountain fire in Sisters from my kitchen window. Freaky. My Dad called and said "I don't think you should come to CA next week" - I've been telling him for a week that I didn't think I could - not until he saw the news did he agree with me... Dad's are great aren't they?

Perhaps a little Kabota'ing for this Queen this weekend. Not too much since the first 49'er game of the season is on Saturday. Hey, I have my priorities...

Chatty Terri - pull a string in my back and I type for 30 minutes...

Kaylets
07-31-2002, 07:37 PM
Ok, I'll admit, and too lazy to do a Google search to find out for myself -- what' s Kabota?

So far, so good although, somebody warmed up something chocolate in the cafeteria and the smell was everywhere. My mouth actually was watering!! But I remained in my chair!!
( what was I going to do? Go and take it from them? hee hee)

ok, I think its time for a midweek cheer--

I hope you know this one-

"Let's go Blockettes,

Lets go Blockettes,

Lets go Blockettes,

Lets go!"

Have some errands to take care of, just wanted to check in and see how everybody was.

Be careful out there!

Amarantha2
07-31-2002, 07:45 PM
Empress Amarantha agreeth: This is a terrific group! It helps Amarantha to come and make her challenges and think of all your royal selves doing the same! :)

Queen Punkin: About a year ago, I applied for a job at a local paper in Bend. Good to know they need me even if they don't know it!

I know what you are going through with the fires, as we had it here also and many friends lost property ... or what was on the property. Hopefully, all the fires will be out soon.

I just knew the miners would be ok. I work in mining towns and know how tough these folks are ... resolute like iron ... the women as well as the men. The behavior and mental focus of those miners was exemplary in the face of what must have seemed like certain death. They are an inspiration to everyone to never give up no matter how grim the forecast!

Amarantha should stay off the 'net and do stuff she needs to do before heading to the spa bootcamp's evening assembly.

HRH Arabella/Babette the Wood Nymph! Queen Punkin and Amarantha left a message for you at the spa. Hope Elbertine and the carrots have sorted out your problem.

upandaway
08-01-2002, 09:32 AM
Good morning all! Happy August 1st! Hope it finds you all well, rested and ready to go. Punkin, I too swear by Tyleno PM after a long stretch of sleepless nights. I have bouts of insomnia during which I'll be so exhausted but not able to sleep for 5 or 6 nights, then I'll take 1/2 of one or a whole one if I'm SURE DH is rested enough to wake up if the kids try to wake him. Usually he doesn't stir no matter what, a trait that caused me no end of bad feelings toward him when DS was an infant ;) .

Did you hear about the NY man sueing the fast food restaurants for making him fat? Someone should tell him his stupidity is showing.

The new clothes I bought for work needed some work, tightening of buttons, a hem here and there. Well a trip to local Walmart (alone!) got me what I needed and on the way driving home I had a revelation. At the store I bumped into a co-worker and after chatting a few minutes found out that another co-worker is not progressing well with a nagging illness, just can't seem to 'get over the hump' into wellness again and is becoming increasingly concerned that something more is at work but the drs don't want to listen to her :mad: . After offering up a short prayer for said co-worker and our own dear Eydie, thoughts turned inward as they always do to my own battle with my weight and I asked myself this question: Why am I letting 15 pounds rule, and often times, ruin my life? I have so much to be thankful for, so much to rejoice in and I don't have to look around me very far to be reminded of just how blessed I am. And despite the nagging 15 pounds, I'm basically healthy as a horse. So it's just vanity, I guess, a number on a scale that I want to see. Because folks, let's face it, nobody else gives a hoot. Not that they don't care about me, but that they don't see me as fat, not compared to the fat me of 3 years ago, 50 pounds heavier. I told myself that my 'obsession' with this weight is a good thing, because all the times before when I lost it, I regained ALL of it. This time, I've caught myself at a 'mere' 15 pounds and am trying to undo the damage, and prevent any more. This is huge progress for me, huge. But I think I've overlooked the forest for the trees this time. I guess what I'm stumbling around to say is that I've decided I can relax. I'm staying on program, eating right, exercising, journaling, but it's not with that sense of "Must do it, MUST DO IT NOW!!" urgency. Last night I even (drumroll, please) packed my scale away! I will weigh in once a month like any other WW lifetimer is required to do, no more. I've reached a point where I actually trust myself to stay on program. I'm crazy enough without making myself worse voluntarily. I have told no one else about this, there's no one else in my life who would come close to understanding any of this. Babette, your words about how our bodies naturally WANT to gain weight at this age have stayed with me. It makes sense in light of all my efforts. I won't give in to it, however, I'll keep fighting what it wants to do!
Thanks for letting me ramble on (and on and on!)

It's time to hit the mall (again). Have a great day everyone.
upandaway

Punkinseed
08-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Hello and happy August!

Kaylets - Kubota is a brand of tractor, just like John Deere or the like... they're all painted bright burnt orange. Ugly things....

Emp. Amarantha - Really?? You were up here a year ago???? Yes, they still need you... I wonder about them sometimes - typos, running the same Ann Landers for 3 days, messing up the cartoon titles. It would be funny if it wasn't a legit. paper!

Upandaway - I agree, it IS *only* 15 pounds. But it's all relative... it could be as hard for you to loose 15 as it is for someone to loose 115. I've struggled with 20 before and I've lost 20 in 5 weeks another time. But, I know that wasn't really your point - the point is, we should consider ourselves blessed that that IS our problem and not something else far more devistating. I agree completely.

Well, I think that's all for now. I'm hangin' in there - not doing great, but not spiraling downwards either!

I'm on day 3 of my challenge - I've been putting a bottle of water in the fridge every night, then in the morning when I want to eat, I grab the bottle and drink it while I'm getting ready for work. So far, it's been successful for 3 mornings in a row!

Terri :D

deleted2
08-01-2002, 05:24 PM
I'll start at the beginning. Tuesday night I had the MRI [complete with IV dye] and finished up there at midnight. Then to the hotel to sleep for 4 hours and then back to the hospital for the chest x-ray and CT scan. Before the CT I found out that I'd have to have another dye IV and I just started to cry like a big old baby because I was just feeling so tender and over-tested. All the nurses and techs were so understanding--thru this whole thing everyone I've had any contact with has been great and I intend to write to all those different departments to tell them so after I've had a couple of day's sleep!
Finally the tests are done and we just have time to go skidding into the oncologist's where they take us back immediately but we wait in the examining room for 1 1/2 hours. And during that time I keep hearing my name muttered right outside the door. I couldn't help thinking that it must be something very complicated and bad. Hang onto something for this next part....

Finally the oncologist comes in grinning like a mule amd says, "You don't have cancer, You never had cancer!" He was a as happy as we were!
I swear I'm not making this up! A day late and we're still ecstatically stunned!. IT'S OVER!

Here's what happened: When the tumor was first analyzed it looked for all the world like leiomyosarcoma, A word I'm all too happy to drop from my daily vocabulary. But then it was sent on for immunechemistry where a lab checks furthur to see how the cells behave so no stone is left unturned. The reason it was sent is because altho the tumor was 'very cellular' it wasn't showing that out-of-control cell-division. These immunestains showed it to be a BENIGN schwannoma and NOT that rare muscle cancer leiomyosarcoma. :) :D :D :D

The reason it took so long is my oncologist was consulting with a team of pathologists and oncologists and they were triple-checking everything. I didn't know exactly what to say when I was given this reprieve so I just clutched at his hand and said 'you're s**ttin' me!' Classy, huh? And he assured me that he was not! And since I had all those tests he'd check those and let me know if anything was amiss but he didn't anticipate anything since I was a vegetarian and 'think pure thoughts and all'. Bless that man, in his line of work he probably doesn't have the chance to give out such great good news. IT'S OVER!!!No more surgery, no more follow-up tests for the rest of my life---it's completely over.

And no, I'm not going to sue. Everyone did the best they could with the info they had at the time. I was a cancer patient for 13 days and look how much was set into motion--very impressive. All I have to do is go back to the doctor who did the surgery in a few weeks to show him how well the incision has healed and that's it!.

So that's how this chapter ends---happily! And I never want to forget what I've learned from all this. I swear I could write a book about these past 13 days---I really intend to write it all down, may do it online, I'll let you know! So what am I going to do with the rest of this life? I better come up with something really good, because I'm sure "they" are watching!

Ahhhhh, Life is sweet indeed! :D :D :D :D

Still stunned and profoundly grateful! ~~~~Eydie

Punkinseed
08-01-2002, 06:09 PM
Eydie!!!!!!

I am literally weeping right now! I am SO incredibly happy for you!!!! Wow, what a bizarre trip it was huh? Man, what a way for you to get a message or lesson in life.... got all of our attention though and thank you so much for sharing your experience with us - I know I learned from it too.

Geez, I've never met you, I wouldn't know you if I passed you on the street and here I am tearing up because a name I see every day on my computer screen is happy and healthy... :spin:

Terri

Kaylets
08-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Me too, I am so glad I am crying too. I read your post as fast as I could- So, so, so glad for you and your family. This is GOOD NEWS.

And you're right, they did the best with what they had- you sure wouldnt have wanted them to take the situation lightly.

You have my admiration. You were truly a model of grace under pressure. A very favorite expression of mine is" Class always shows"-- and it is so true in describing you-- ( and this isnt a poke about your remark to the doctor.....honest!)

Lets have a cyberparty to celebrate all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

;) :dizzy: :rolleyes:

Amarantha2
08-01-2002, 09:48 PM
EYDIE!!!

That is wonderful news! We should not only have a cyberparty but drink oceans of water in a toast to you! It is an extraordinary story and I'd bet a reporter at your local paper would be interested in writing about it ... it's a testimony that no one should ever give up or accept bad news as final because nothing is certain in this life. You have done a wonderful job handling it all. I'm so happy for you!

The journey continues!

upandaway
08-02-2002, 09:50 AM
Eydie, what a miracle! Just the kind of fairy tale ending all cancer patients dream of, you must be one in at least a million. We're all so happy for you, the words seem lame written down, but so, so sincere. Continue to take good care, rest up and keep us posted.

upandaway

prism
08-03-2002, 12:41 PM
EYDIE....I'm so happy for you. What a relief...I could do a dancing banana jig :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: :cb: Makes us appreciate every precious moment. And get the verve to forge through this challenge.

Malia :)

deleted2
08-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Thanks, Everybody! I still can hardly believe it---this part seems as surreal as the other. Oddly, right now, I seem to be dealing with a sort of 'surviver's guilt'--wondering why I was spared, does that make sense?

That's NOT to say that I'm not happy and still catch myself smiling for no reason except the joy of being alive! I'm sleeping a lot; I guess I'm making up for the poor quality sleep I was getting before. I have to get going again with my exercise program, I've been kind of slack as far as that goes. I did walk 3 miles yesterday, and I haven't done that in over 3 weeks--that felt really good!

The good news [can I take much more?] is I realized that I've kept up a stellar diet for the last 19 days!!! :D Whatever works, but I don't reccommend this particular method. :lol: I intend to keep up this modified macrobiotic diet I'm on. And by modified I mean I'll be having occasional dairy and sugar--I'm not going to be weird about it. And I'm feeling reallly good about buying mostly organic too---there's alot out there, even at the regular supermarkets.

Thanks again, for being there with me thru this crisis--I felt it! Words fail me--I felt so treasured and protected by all my friends and family. Yet another one of the"gifts" that came from all this.

Amarantha2
08-04-2002, 12:18 PM
Be it known: Having weighed in at 1.5 pounds down on the Golden Scale, which weigheth good intentions as well as pounds, Amarantha is doing the happy dance. However, after 21 days of one-day challenges, more or less, she hath confuseth herself too much by operating the one-day challenge royal spa and feeling drawn to this group of 21-day challengers. So she wisheth to rejoin the mainstream here (if that's ok?) and hath even thought of a 21-day challenge she can maketh for herself. She can't seem to do anything about the propensity to refer to herself in the third person and add "th" to her wordeths, so liveth with it, ok? :)

Here is Amarantha's 21-Day Challenge :cb: :cb: ... She plans a 21-day fitness walkabout. Okay, here is the edited part because Amarantha can't do the math (if she could do math, she'd have a better job than Empress). So, suffice it to say that she hopes to lose some extra pounds by walking a consistent one hour a day across her home empire with her walking poles. She had this mathematically figured out with miles and such, but it doesn't come out right and it is making her stressed. So she will walk 20 minutes for each mile, making a total of three miles per day, or 63 miles for the whole 21 days, which (wait for it) is the exact length of Amarantha's whole empire, which consisteth of THREE parts, the BEACHFRONT, the FOREST, the BEAUTIFUL CITY! She will tackle one portion per week. She is to be accompanied by Elbertine Pep, who will keep a tally of their walking times, as the hour a day may be broken into any amount of segments as circumstances call for. Subgoals are to continue with weights, Pilates, etc. (not to be counted in the walking total), and continue to try to reduce weekly calorie totals and follow the empire's prime objective: No food from 9 p.m. to midnight. Subgoals are not a part of this 21-day blockwalk!

Eydie: So glad to "see" you smiling! :) You continue to be an inspiration on this journey. Keep reaching for the moon!

Amarantha's Current Weight Loss Stats (start/now/goal) Since Beginning the 'Block' of One-Day Challenges at the Spa:

168/165/135

Peace, always.

Amarantha2
08-04-2002, 10:35 PM
Emp. Amarantha's beachfront stroll of three miles was accomplished in three segments, one of 40 minutes, one of 10 minutes and a final of 10 minutes. If a walkabout, as some say, is for the purpose of walking until one encounters oneself, Amarantha might not notice when that event occurs, as Elbertine Pep spent the whole walk discussing math theories and Amarantha could not concentrate. The walking poles were silent, though, and the ocean smelled very sweet and was very blue and peaceful, lapping at Amarantha's bare feet as she strode across the golden sand.

Not a part of the challenge, but calories were high today at 2410.

On to Day 2

168/165/135

Arabella
08-05-2002, 08:56 AM
That's right, Babies. Barry White. At your... service ;)

OOOOhhh you sweeeeet Blockettes! :love: Come on over to Thread # 7.

It's safe -- and SEXY!!! Oooohhh, Baby!

SKYFIREFLY
06-29-2004, 07:30 AM
Well its time for me to start exercising more and not just in the yard with the garden. So I am going to exercise at least 3 times a week. Yesterday was Monday and I did 37min. 2 1/2 miles, 226 calories burned at the gym on the treadmill. My challenge will be increase my exercise and document it on a regular basis. I have done this in the past and I know how good it is for me. But sometimes work and other things get in the way I have a gym membership and no real excuse so lets see if I can build in some good habits again. The weight is getting down slowly but steady I guess but exercise will only help me and this I know for a fact. So stop kidding myself and get started!!!!!!!!!!
Skyfirefly