Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default The human body is a marvellous thing

It really is.

Warning: long rambling musings ahead!

Last week, if you recall, I was hovering on the line between staying calm and stressing out because for the first time in eight weeks the scale was going up instead of down. Leaving aside the little fact that at eight weeks in I'm still a rookie compared to some experts here...today my scale (my PT and I have come to a kind of unspoken agreement: he won't tell me off so much if I weigh myself, and I'll wean myself off the emotional attachment to the number) told me I'm back to my all-time low of 223 and that I'm no longer lying with my ticker and stats here.

(I detest lying, but evidently the shame at the number going up outranks that. Will be working on that....)

I've learnt here that weight loss isn't linear. I've learnt that you can't tie "What I did on Monday" to "How much I weigh on Tuesday morning." Whilst I guess we know much more about how our bodies work now than we did in the past, to me it still seems like a black box: I'm told what to put in, and everything somehow gets better.

As a control freak (allegedly ) I can see this being a potential problem. I'm the patient who, at the opticians, wants to know exactly how long her eyeball is and why that makes her short-sighted. I asked my doctor why he had prescribed this particular anti-d instead of the host of other SSRIs out there. Yes, I also googled what SSRIs were.

So present me with a situation where I can't identify, analyse and understand (at least to some extent) every aspect of the process, and the rest of me watches in vague amusement as the control freak within me has a mild meltdown.

But you know what? The fact that there is more to me than just that control freak is rather liberating. The rest of me is happy that the logic of good food + exercise == health + weight loss has prevailed. I don't need all the details, I guess. My body can do its thing so long as I treat it well. It's not a baby that needs me looking over its shoulder.

Hurray for the human body! Now to have lunch and crack on with this paper I'm supposed to be writing. Thanks for reading all the way down here
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 AM   #2  
Slow and Steady

Height: 5' 9"

Thank you for saying what I'm feeling

Our stats are pretty similar and I'm going through the same thing right now, bouncing the same 3-4 pounds off & on. I keep trying to convince myself that it takes time for the body to catch up to all these changes we're making, but my head keeps saying "we worked our @$$ off for the past 2 weeks, why is the scale going up?!? Just eat, quit all that working out, what difference does it make anyway?#!?" But I just ran a 5k on Saturday, granted it took 42:18 but I'm proud of that. I know I'm becoming healthier. I know I'm feeling better. I'm trying to use that as motivation instead of that *&^% scale...

2 weeks ago I posted a thread "Finally out of the 220's!!" Just to go right back into them 2 days later I did not want to change my ticker or my sig, but finally resigned to it when after 7 days I was still in the freakin 220's. Today, I'm back at 219.6. Again. Hopefully for the last time. *sigh*

So great job on the weight lost so far. You are doing amazing. And thanks so much for sharing! xoxo
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #3  

Someone else made sense of my post! Thank you!
Old 09-29-2009, 08:36 AM   #4  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

It's all a matter of balance... even the scale

Congrats on that 223!! I can't wait to get there (really I'm on your tail, but still I'm anxious!)
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:54 AM   #5  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa chip View Post

So present me with a situation where I can't identify, analyse and understand (at least to some extent) every aspect of the process, and the rest of me watches in vague amusement as the control freak within me has a mild meltdown.
OMG! That is SO me, but I have never really put it into words. You said it perfectly. The constant needing to know everything about what I am doing and asking of why this, why that, why Why WHY! .. the googling of information on everything under the sun. Analyzing things until I can analyze no more... I could go on, but I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel! I am learning to let go of that, too.. and just be happy I am along for the ride.
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 01:21 PM   #6  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

It was a long time ago I relaxed the reigns and realised my body has a wisdom of it's own.\

Good for you!

Keep at it!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #7  

Congrats on 223! I am super excited to get to 223 because that equals a 20 pound weightloss!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #8  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Woohoo! You'll be in the twoteens in no time!
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 PM   #9  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I did that about 4 months ago. And now I can look at the number in bemused frames of mind and carry on. FINALLY. The weight is coming off and will come off and there is not really a whole heck of a lot I can do about it!

Congratulations on letting go... bet that feels good.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:28 PM   #10  

Oh my, I never expected such responses! Thank you so much, everyone!

cfmama - this whole "letting go" thing is just like weight loss. Piecemeal. It's like I'm taking wee little steps, and with each one I almost think I've made a major breakthrough, when in fact it's just another wee little step.

However, I suppose that without all those little steps I'd never get anywhere, would I?

Dude, this forum is like therapy