Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #1  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Default 60lbs in 4 months...

Hi all! I am wanting to loose 60lbs total. Do you think I could reach that goal by febuary? It's basically 4 months away...so 15lbs a month...Would that be healthy??
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #2  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

No, not at your starting weight. I don't think it would be healthy. *Maybe* 25. Why don't you just start with a healthy plan and see what happens? I can tell you one thing for sure, if you don't do nothing, you'll be the same weight, (or more).

Last edited by Lori Bell; 09-28-2009 at 06:26 PM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #3  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You have to figure that's at least 3-4 lbs a week, healthy weightloss is usually 1-2 lbs a week.

A lot of times when you first start you will lose a large chunk of weight, then gradually slow down till you get close to your goal, the closer you get the harder it is to lose those last few lbs.

Say you lost 2 lbs a week for 4 months, that would be 36 lbs, which I think is doable 60 lbs might take you close to 8-9 months. But who knows, the body does it's own thing- it might take you less, it might take more- I say just go for it and do your best!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I have found over many, many years and attempts to lose weight, that time-bound goals almost always fail.

It goes something like this:
Week 1 - lost 4+ lbs YES!
Week 2 - lost 2 lbs. OK, if I exercise even harder, and cut my calories more, I can make up those two lbs I didn't lose this week. After all, I lost 4 lbs. last week, so I KNOW it can be done.
Week 3 - 2.2 lbs lost - OK, now I'm even further behind - obviously my body isn't meant to lose weight. I've stayed on plan, I worked out, and I can't lose - so why try?
Week 4 - back to my old ways.

I have found that I can stay perfectly on plan and still not lose weight for a period of time. You cannot predict or control how fast or slow your body will respond to dietary and exercise changes.

So, find a plan that you can stick to, get started, and keep coming here for support. Honestly, I gotta tell you. While it was depressing to think that it might take me a year to lose my weight - now that I have - it doesn't matter one little bit that I only lost 1.72 lbs per week. What matters is that I DID and that I am maintaining that loss.

Last edited by CountingDown; 09-28-2009 at 07:13 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/246/110

I agree with the others, you can't predict ur weightloss u can try and try then be dissapointed when u dnt get what you want it depends on your body. It takes time...ive lost 32 pounds in about 4 months and that was the most I've ever lost in that amount of time my whole life! but anyways good luck and don't give up!
cherry7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #6  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

its taken me 8 months to lose 44. 60 lbs in 4 months might be POSSIBLE, but its not a good idea, especially at your starting weight. you'd have to eat basically nothing and work out tons. what happens when you stop? well, if you manage to make it 4 months on that routine (which still wouldnt be likely to add up to 60 lbs) as soon as you stopped you'd likely gain it all back.

i totally applaud your motivation, but you should try thinking more long term. burning yourself out is a common reason people quit their diets. its important to find something you can stick to!

IMO even 2 lb/week is a lofty goal when you're on a plan that you can stick to. im sure PLENTY of people lose that much, but then you hit weeks where you lose nothing (with no particular explanation) or you have a slight gain, etc. even if you average 2 lb/week weight loss fluctuates. time based goals are usually a BAD idea!

Last edited by juliastl27; 09-28-2009 at 07:52 PM.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:59 PM   #7  
on a journey

That is too much too fast, 1-2 lbs a weeks is a great goal. i plan on taking a full year to lose my weight and my goal is about the same as yours.

Last edited by Lisa_C; 09-28-2009 at 08:24 PM.
Lisa_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

ha.. CoutningDown, that sounds like how I used to try and lose weight. Goals are good, but I can see how if it seems we won't reach them we just throw in the towel and quit. And we push ourselves too much too soon.

Like the other poster said if you just start now you'll definitely be closer to your goal by February. If you don't do anything, February will roll around and you'll be at the same spot or worse (which usually is what happened to me when trying for big goals in short time periods).

I think if you are *very* good with your diet and exercise consistently and change up your workouts often you can lose up to 10lbs a month!
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #9  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

I don't have much to add, except that even on a plan that is meant to cause me to lose 2 pounds-ish per week, I tend to lose a bit slower than that much of the time due to metabolic peculiarities and just life, in general.

If you aim for healthy, consistent weight loss, you'll likely be satisfied and HAPPY every time you step on the scale for your weekly weigh-in (especially if you are look at how that data factors into a months-long trend) but if you set your sights to a metabolically unrealistic goal, for someone at your starting weight to comfortably work toward, you'll find yourself being frustrated over a 'slow' loss or 'less loss than I wanted' most weeks of your journey, and be demoralized where you should be exultant.

Time-bound goals that are not on the CONSERVATIVE side of what your body can do, very often fail. It's just better to focus on habit changes and let the weight gradually take care of itself. One day you'll wake up and you WILL be at goal, and like a previous poster said it won't matter HOW long it took you to get there, from that point out!
Arctic Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #10  
On my way to Skinny!

S/C/G: SW220/150-160GW

Height: 5'5

Thank you all for your thoughts. It does sound a but much to loose 60lbs in 4 months after I think about it (LOL) But i figures 10lbs a month. Im just anxious I want to be slimmer by the time I turn 21 lol. But i will try my hardest and even if its only 30-40lbs by than I will still be happy and proud of myself. Thank you Ladies
mateosmama2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:06 PM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

That's the spirit! Now jump on in and hold on tight, because this WILL be the ride of your life!
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #12  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateosmama2005 View Post
Thank you all for your thoughts. It does sound a but much to loose 60lbs in 4 months after I think about it (LOL) But i figures 10lbs a month. Im just anxious I want to be slimmer by the time I turn 21 lol. But i will try my hardest and even if its only 30-40lbs by than I will still be happy and proud of myself. Thank you Ladies
well you will definitely be thinner by then if you start now! just please dont ever "count on" losing a certain amount/month. it will only frustrate you if you dont reach it. 10 lbs/month is a LOT! sure its possible and you should go for the gold! just dont count on a certain number because sometimes it doesnt happen, for no good reason.

best of luck!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #13  

No matter what amount you lose, it will definitely be more than zero.
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 280/266.2/180

Hi. I hope you don't mind me jumping in and commenting, but I know firsthand the harsh reality of losing too fast. I lost around 50 pounds between April and July of last year. It was amazing! I ate basically nothing and worked my butt off exercising. Everyone was so impressed with how fast I lost the weight! They weren't so impressed when I gained it all back... plus 5 pounds. I've learned that taking it slow is the way to go, which is why I'm now starting over.
I wish you luck in your loss! Just try to take it slow and healthy. It may take me three times as long (if not more) this time, but it will be worth it if I can keep it off!
jellyclarkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 03:39 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 308/176/150

Height: 5ft 5

No. I'm about your weight and losing about 2lb per week. 1-3lb is a realisitc amount a week to lose. Maybe you will lose more the first few weeks but 15lb in a month is a lot. I have lost about that much but I was about 300lb at the time. I think 32lb is a much more sensible amount to lose by then - aiming for 2lb per week. We all want to be at goal now and we all get impatient with weight loss taking a long time but weight lost slowly and sensibly is more likely to stay off - boring to keep hearing that I know but even say 32lb is a lot to lose and will make a big difference to your health, appearence and confidence.
Rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote