Old 09-26-2009, 09:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 153/136/130

Height: 5'4"

Unhappy I'm new to this . . .

Hi everyone, I'm not really sure if I'm doing this right -- my kids would probably be laughing at me right now.

Anyways, I'm 43, and have been gaining weight pretty steadily with no results from diet and exercise on my own for the past 2 1/2 years. So I joined Slim4Life even though I've always said I'd never do something like that. I tried Weight Watchers Online last year with very, very slow results so I got discouraged and quit. I bought P90X in February and did it 4-5 days a week but since I wasn't doing the diet portion of it, my results were slow.

So finally, after my birthday in August and feeling depressed that I was probably in the worst shape of my life, I joined Slim4Life. This is my 4th week and I've lost around 9.5 lbs. I haven't lost any weight at all this week, which makes me a little discouraged. I do exercise about 30 minutes 4-5 days per week doing my P90X.

I allow myself a beer or glass of wine once in a while and the counselors really make me feel bad for doing that. So now I've started just substituting it for a bread and fruit and not writing it down which I know kind of defeats the whole purpose of ACCOUNTABILITY, but can I NEVER have that stuff???

I need some encouragement.
jessiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 11:42 AM   #2  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Jessie.

Welcome to the group, and congratulations on your 9 pound loss -- that's wonderful! I don't know anything about Slim4Life; I guess if you're trying to follow their plan, you should stick to their plan.

But... there are plenty of us who enjoy a beer or a glass of wine on occasion and continue to lose weight. So I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I also think it's normal to have some weeks where you just don't lose. As long as you don't gain, I think it's just the body readjusting. Many of us take measurements, and that can help you to see changes in your body even if the scale doesn't change.

Good luck and keep us posted!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 02:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi, Jessie:

Welcome! I think it is okay to have beer or wine occasionally, especially if you account for it (which it sounds like you are doing by exchanging it for a bread and a fruit). I don't know anything about Slim4Life, but I have been on programs in the past where I checked in with consultants at a weight loss center. Here is my opinion: you are paying for the program and deserve not to have someone make you feel bad about having a little beer or wine once in awhile. I think what I would do is tell them that the reality is that you are going to have it once in awhile and want advice on how to account for it. I think it is easier to stick to a plan that is realistic for you and, if you get to have a little wine once in awhile, you are more likely to stick with the program for the long haul.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far, and good luck with your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi, Jessie!

Great job with the p90X - wow - you're way ahead of me! Most of us have been in the same position you're in, with fighting off weight "creep". What seems to be the secret here in the 40's thread is that many of us have decided that we're going to find something that works for the long haul - and that we MUST have some room to have our favorites. The tradeoff is that we tend to lose slower - but we are HAPPY and not hungry or miserable.

jrmohr says it well - this is your money, so they'd better get on board with what you need to make this happen. If you don't like the program, you sure won't be sticking with it for life ... so even if they get you to your goal weight, where are you going to go from there? I think this is why many of us are tracking calories, or points, and looking over the long term instead of daily adherance. There's always a way ... but whatever you look at, make sure you can keep it up for life without hating it.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:17 PM   #5  
If its to be its up to me

S/C/G: 225/184/155

Height: 5'5"

Welcome! congrats on the 9 pounds.
I know it's easy to get discouraged, but just remember that everyday is a new day to eat clean.
AlleyTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 12:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 257/233.2/145

Height: 5'4

I think depriving yourself of things you enjoy such as a beer or wine bread etc is setting yourself up for failure I think moderation is the key I eat and drink everything nothing is off limits I just make sure I don't do it everyday and I practice portion control and once a month we got to our favorite restaurant and I get my all time favorite dish knowing its super fattening I eat it enjoy it and get back on track the next day.for myself I know if I try to go thru life dening myself the things I love I will fail I also tried weight watchers and to me it felt like my whole life was centered around what I ate and drank writing things down etc thats just not a normal way to live.
whip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

Hi JessieK

I am also 43 years old and feeling the full effects of age and weight gain. I have always been on the heavy side but was always able to control it with a few days of dieting here and there. However, the last couple of years I started to notice that it wasnt that easy anymore. I finally joined a gym last year.....something I had NEVER ever done before was exercise, however I found that it still was not enough. I finally decided to try the South Beach Diet......I had followed the plan a few years ago with a friend. I am so happy that I did it.....that I started......that I am losing weight. Hang in there....you are on the right path......being able to even do 5 minutes of the P90X is awesome.....I am impressed......you should be to!!!!
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote