General chatter - How'd you meet the love of your life?

BellaLucia
09-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I think I've met mine but ya never know.

mandalinn82
09-25-2009, 02:35 PM
In the dorm, Freshman year in college. She lived upstairs, I lived downstairs, and technically, the first time I saw her, it was in the bathroom :D

MindiV
09-25-2009, 02:40 PM
I moved to town with my boyfriend, and in spite of his attempts to keep me from it, I became friends with a girl who lived two doors down. She had a brother who was an over the road truck driver. I liked him but was saddled with a loser I couldn't seem to get rid of.

Fast forward a year or so...I get rid of loser. On the DAY I was going to ask out my friend's brother, I found out he had a girlfriend. Dangit.

So fast forward another 6-7 months. I'm dating loser #2, but only for about a week. I found out the friend's brother was single. I asked him to fix something on my truck, fixed him dinner to thank him and we got together.

It's crazy, and he doesn't believe me, but I knew I was going to marry him before we got together. Just knew it. Had our second anniversary on July 4...

mayness
09-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Our families went to the same church from the time I was about 4 years old and on. He is about 4 years older than me, so I never really knew him, but I knew his younger sisters. When I was in high school, he started volunteering as a leader in the youth group. I developed a big crush on him. A slightly obsessive and creepy crush, looking back on it. :p

When I was a senior in high school, he found out I was interested, and told me he liked me, too. (He says that he had decided it was "time" for him to start dating, and I seemed like an adequate choice, lol. So romantic.) Our relationship turned out to be quite scandalous at church, since I was in the youth group and he was a youth leader. They got over it. :D We've been together ever since, and been married 2.5 years now.

kuhljeanie
09-25-2009, 03:26 PM
met mine on match.com. emailed and talked for a few months before we met. i liked him OK on our first date, liked him more on our 2nd, and by the 3rd, i felt like he was someone i really wanted in my life. it was a few more months though before the deal was sealed (and i was pregnant :))

TJFitnessDiva
09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
I met mine in the 10th grade :)

midwife
09-25-2009, 03:31 PM
My friend was dating his friend and she introduced us on the soccer field at school. He had a nice smile and nice legs. Still does. That was 19 years ago!

WaterRat
09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
Met him in sophomore year in college - he was year behind me - and fixed him up with my sister! I was seriously dating another guy through my last two years of college, and 18 months after graduation I married him. We were married about 3 years. Guy #1 came back into my life about 6 months before the divorce was final - though we'd been separated for about a year by then. This time I wasn't trying to fix him up with my sister! :lol: We've been together for 38 years now.

marbear24
09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
Uh, heh. Mine came to our house senior year of college because we threw his roommate a birthday party. My first words to him were, "Hey! You're new! Have a funnel!"

It's a good story for the future kids... riiiight. I should probably make up a new one.

Jokan
09-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow, we first met in Kindergarten. Then, we had 3rd together. Then, he moved. He happened to be going to the same school as my cousin and told her boyfriend that he seen her with another guy(her cousin) at a festival and they broke up so I hated him. At a football game he says hey aren't u Christy cousin I said yeah, who r u he told me and I started cussing him out telling him I was going to kick his as* as he was grinning at me and my boyfriend was hiding behind me. One year later he starts coming in the restaurant I waitressed in and I spit in his food(only person ever). One year after that I was invited to a prom party at a hotel(his hotel room), got drunk and started to fall down concrete stairs when I was caught by my ponytail(it was him) and the guy that was trying to date me said it was him. A few months later that same guy asked me to go to a party at DH house I made sure he would allow me in and went. By the end of that night I was sitting in DH lap and other guy was pissed. 13 years and 2 kids later I realize I have married my arch enemy!!!!!!!;)

daniela
09-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Match.com 2003, married 2006, still madly in love!

winning the war
09-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Met in church youth group, took him to my prom (he was an awful date!), broke up, got back together years later and have now been married 13 years.

MotoXMama
09-25-2009, 04:08 PM
We met at work, 12 years ago. :) He still works there, and I quit back in '01 when we got married.

Eumie
09-25-2009, 04:19 PM
We posted on the same forum together. We conducted our relationship 1000 miles apart from one another for three years. I moved to NC in June of last year and we got married in June of this year.

Lori259
09-25-2009, 04:22 PM
I Was 15 years old~& on my way to my best friends house with my mom & grandma~My mother was taking my grandma to the store also~So when we got stuck at the red light that led to my friends house with a left turn or if we went straight would take us to the grocery store My mom Didn't signal so I jumped outta of the van (because I didn't wanna go to the grocery) And decided to walk the rest of the way to my friends house.
I forgot my Things(pajamas/purse/ect). in the van LOL~Anyways~I started walking down the street and he was crossing over to it and was looking hot!
LONG BLACK HAIR(this is when the BIG hair bands was The thing) And no shirt on.
I said" How have you been?LOL(Even though I had seen him a few years back I didn't know him Let alone his name HAHA) ~We got to talking~he walked me to my friends house and awhile later My mom & grandma came up the road to give me my things I had forgot~LOL~I told him to leave Cause My mom would kill me and I thought that would be the last time I ever saw him~He came right back as soon as they left~We have been together more or less ever since~We have been together for 18 years And married for 16 & 1/2!
He is still Cute as ever and definetly still the love of my life.:D

Onederchic
09-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Mine is complicated a bit because to me, I have had two real loves.

First would be my husband. I met him when I was 17, he lived 2 doors down from where I lived with my momma. We were friends at first then it developed into more rather quickly. We were together a total of 11 years, until he passed away in 1999.

My current boyfriend, whom I do truly love, I met on an online game. We started out chatting there then phone and msn, 5 years later I moved 1800 miles to live with him.

UniquelyNormal
09-25-2009, 04:37 PM
During sophomore year of college my room-mate's brother kept coming to visit her. They are close siblings but even she was confused by the number of times. Turns out it was me he was seeking :) It took me a while to reciprocate, but now I can't imagine life without him.

4myloves
09-25-2009, 04:42 PM
A month before he was due my water broke at 3:30 a.m. I was then in labor 36 hours before the ob/gyn performed a c-section (apparently I don't have no birthin' hips). The peditrician showed him to me all wrapped up in his blanket with his little sausage-skin hat. Of course, it was love at 1st sight, but the real "feeling" didn't hit until I finally got to hold him 7 days later.

I knew then that he was the one person on this earth that I would love forever more than my own life.

Now I can't wait to meet #2, too.

:love:

sprklemajik
09-25-2009, 04:48 PM
As a senior in college, his stoner brother asked me out for him (and I think asked him out for me too). "Hey, you're an engineer, my brother's an engineer too, you guys would be perfect together". I guess he thought because we're both good at math we're soulmates. Turns out through the haze he apparently did have a little insight. Date went exceptionally... been together ever since.

SunshineCA
09-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Haven't met him yet. ;)

CanadianCutie
09-25-2009, 05:27 PM
I met the love of my life, online, we played Everquest together, and were in the same guild, we were friends for about 6 months but there was always a flirtation. He claims I seduced him. I went down to meet him in person on Canadian Thanksgiving Weekend 2007 (was the only time I could as I was in school full time). We've been together ever since, doing the long distance thing. Lots of visits. He works full time, and I have a pretty flexible schedule so I can visit him every few months. We no longer play Everquest or any online game, but we watch tv programs and movies together over the internet, and talk via Skype, texting and voicechat.
I'm so nervous about Christmas, I'm meeting his Mom and Sisters and the sisters kids. Our two year anniversary is October 5th and I'll be down there for that.

CountingDown
09-25-2009, 05:49 PM
6th grade band. I played French horn, he played coronet (trumpet), and sat right behind me :)

He was painfully shy and never asked me out until my senior year.
We've now been married 30+ years :)

JerseyGyrl
09-25-2009, 06:14 PM
In a Yahoo chatroom:)

EZMONEY
09-25-2009, 07:09 PM
Through a Christian newspaper personal ad. YES! before computer dating...

There was no reason for me to reply to it....she wanted someone to take her dancing....not me! Wanted a non-smoker...I did....

The ads covered the entire southern part of California...after we "met" I asked her where she lived...humm...the town next to mine...where my church is and me and my kids went to high school...I asked her if she had kids...she had a daughter that went to Christian school...hummm....my kids go to a Christian school...they were in 6th and 8th grade...I asked her where...she says Faith...my kids were with me that night, they go to Faith...I asked...kids do you know a Lara at your school?...yes...she is in 2nd grade...

We met at a basketball practice for my son....alone...he thought I was just sitting in my truck because it was cold....daughter was with her mom...anyway I liked what I saw...she had a nasty cold and was sneezing like crazy...when saw her pull up in the lot she got out of her van and went back and just kept slamming the back dorr...mumbling what seemed like "nasty" words....she got back in the van...I walked up and knocked on the door....YES before cell phones...

We spent 12 hours together the next Saturday....been together ever since..

She was going to a different church at the time, went with me to mine one night for a service and never left.

We have been together since 1995....married 1 year later, in 1996, on the anniversary of our first "phone" meeting...

Windchime
09-25-2009, 09:25 PM
I met him when I was 15 and he was 16. We were only together a couple of years. I haven't met the next one yet. I hope he comes along soon!

murphmitch
09-25-2009, 09:48 PM
His roommate and my roommate were dating and set us up after a bad breakup I had and was very depressed from. A year later, my roommate married his roommate. We were married year after that. That was 27 years ago.

Sweetcaroline
09-25-2009, 10:00 PM
i'm still waiting..................

Institches21
09-26-2009, 01:06 AM
At the bowling alley, he was my one and only. We are very Happy 31 years and 3 amazing kids later.

DiverGal
09-26-2009, 07:24 AM
I met him on a writing forum on the old Prodigy network. We chatted for months, then talked on the phone, then met in person several months later. Too bad we lived 890 miles apart. I needed to stay where I was until my son graduated high school, so we conducted a long distance relationship for three years, flying every other weekend to see each other. Expensive, but worth it! We got married two years ago, on a cruise ship and still feel like we're on a wonderful cruise.

DeeinVaBeach
09-26-2009, 08:50 AM
In the Navy.. we were both dating other people, both actually about to get married to other people.. I thought he was cute, but younger than me (turns out he's two years older, lol).. I got dumped at the altar... next time I see him, he's checking into the barracks where I'm working, I ask him how married life is, turns out he got dumped at the altar too.. Bada Bing Bada Boom.. we started dating and were married less than a month later. Everyone said it was a rebound thing and would never last, but we're still going strong 3 kids and 11 years later.... :)

EZMONEY
09-26-2009, 09:28 AM
At the bowling alley, he was my one and only. We are very Happy 31 years and 3 amazing kids later.

That is where I met my first wife and mother of my kids...and still a very good friend. When I first saw her I thought she was the cutest thing I had ever seen.

lizziep
09-26-2009, 12:49 PM
anybody remember ICQ? He randomly chatted me one day, and was coming on pretty strong, it was obvious he was interested in ANYONE at the time if ya know what I mean. lol. Well I almost blocked him! But I was bored so I didn't and we talked on the phone a few times and he seemed really nice and we decided to meet each other.
So my parents dropped me off at his house, alone, and left! I was 19, but wow, they were taking a big chance that he wasn't a murder. lol. I must admit we were both going into it for just one thing... but we wound up with something else completely. We talked for hours and when I went home that night I told my mom I met the man I was going to marry.
I was right. We met almost 10 years ago, have been married for 7. :)
Sometimes a one night stand lasts years! Be warned!!

Institches21
09-27-2009, 01:18 AM
That is where I met my first wife and mother of my kids...and still a very good friend. When I first saw her I thought she was the cutest thing I had ever seen.

Funny, it was the opposite with us, he did not give me the time of day the first time we met, I was 17 and he was 21, it took a friend to, help him see that I was worth a second look. I can still remember that first time he held my hand, my knees were shaking and I was gliding on air, that nervous giddy laugh I had, so silly, but to this day it brings a smile to my face, when I remember May 21, 1976. I'm so very lucky ;)

AutumnArsenicx3
09-27-2009, 01:37 AM
I had moved into town, and was sitting on my front porch when this guy walked out of my neighbors house. I watched him, and he and my older brother became friends. I was just his little sister to him then. For five LONG months, I pretty much stalked the guy. He just wouldnt give me a chance because of the four year age gap, me being his junior. Finally, we were sitting in his car, on a rainy day, ARGUING BADLY. I said something like "Well fine, if you're too much of a pus.." I'll leave that word at that.."To ask me, then fine! Will you be mine?" He said yes...and, that was August/Twenty-First/Two Thousand and Seven. Two years later, and we're still working it out...I love him.

weegreenlassie
09-27-2009, 02:34 AM
We met at "homeschool" highschool -- We were friends for a while (probably a year or two?) before going out. When I was 17 and he was 16 when we first started talking seriously, and began dating on September 29th! -- this is going to be our 7 year anniversary on Tuesday!
I can't imagine anyone else in my life but him :)

GradPhase
09-27-2009, 04:26 AM
I had just moved to Alaska from England for college - I didn't know anyone. In our "Introduction to college" hall meeting, I mentioned that I was new here, and had spent most of my time watching the National Geographic channel instead of playing in the snow with my roommates like all the other new cliques forming, because I hate snow, and didn't care for my roommates. The boss of the dorms agreed to let me move to a different room, and got the paperwork started.

That next week, My very shy, very quiet RA was hosting a 24-Hour film festival for dorm kids and right before it started, he ran all the way back to our building, up four flights of stairs to convince me to come. It was the only conversation I'd ever had with him - and still is. I grabbed my boots and coat and we ran back to the Commons and I sat at a table in the back of the dark room.

A group of people (four guys, and a girl) came rushing in at the last minute, and asked to sit at my table. The dorm boss lady then came over and said, hey, while you're both here, I want to introduce you to each other because this will be your new roommate. (I've been best friends with the girl ever since, and she's the best roommate I've ever had.)

As it turns out, dear BF, his three roommates, and my roommate/best friend had all been assigned to work together as a group for the 24 hour film festival, and they'd just lost all of their footage and had been disqualified early. So we all sat in the back and enjoyed everyone else's work, and dear BF, best friend and I went out later that night for coffee.

Two years later, I still enjoy midnight coffee with dear BF, and my former roommate is still one of my very best friends!

So if my roommates hadn't have been terrible, my RA wouldn't have felt sorry for me, so I likely would not have moved rooms, or have gone to the film festival, and I wouldn't have met two very very lovely, important people in my life :)

bacilli
09-27-2009, 08:21 AM
I met DH at a youth group retreat when I was 13. We became friends, and we were part of a huge group of friends all through middle school, high school, and college. I had a huge crush on him for years, but we were never single at the same time. Apparently he'd felt the same way. :D The first night we hung out with the big group and were both single, it just kinda clicked, and snowballed from there. We started dating in October, he asked me to marry him in November, and we got married in June. We've been married for 8 years, and I adore him.

inthemidst
09-27-2009, 09:28 AM
In grad school I asked a guy out to have a beer. He brought his friend - I was not happy - till "his friend" started telling stories. I laughed and laughed and laughed. Within 2 months "his friend" and I were engaged. Celebrated 18 years of marriage this year. Now he's my BF and he's still making me laugh!

Lizzyg
09-27-2009, 09:42 AM
We met online, in an AOL Michigan chat room.

That was in 1999 :) we've been together ever since.

junebug41
09-27-2009, 11:35 AM
My old college job. He was new in town and got a job there to get a gym membership and to meet cute girls.

He got both in the first week :)

ronni62
09-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I was working for a company in Chicago area, traveling a lot as an engineering inspector/consultant. He was working at a plant I was sent to in Minnesota. He asked me out while I was there. Talked on the phone a lot (very high long distance bill$!) for almost a year, even after I transfered to Ohio. Moved to MN after he asked me to marry him. Lots of challenges as he'd been divorced before we met and had a son already (ex was and still is nuts). Married for 19 years next month, we've raised his son, have 2 more of ours, and now have a daughter-in-law and 4 grandkids too!

amkenkent
09-28-2009, 11:06 AM
He was my boss. I had a boyfriend, he had a live in girlfriend. We had an instant connection and within a month of meeting we'd both broken up with our bf/gf, then admitted we liked each other and started dating. It's been 7 years. We've been married 3, and have beautiful twin 2 year olds! When you know...you just know! The day I met him I went home and called my 3 best friends and told them "I just met the man I'm going to marry".

Thighs Be Gone
09-28-2009, 11:07 AM
He sat next to me in a class one day. It all began there. :) He is the absolute love of my life and my soulmate. Should anything ever happen to him, there will never be another.

p.s. That was 20 years ago!

annie175
09-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Food, when I first started eating it. NO really, haven't met mine yet.

luvja
09-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Awwww. All your love stories make me happy :love: I hope I find Mr. Right someday.......

PinkyPie
09-28-2009, 12:18 PM
We met at a Depeche Mode Party in July 2003 in the city I was living in (he lived 100 miles away, where we live now). I liked his tattoo so I approached him and asked if I could take a photograph. We ended up talking to each other the rest of the evening. We were friends for a little over a year (with some complications in between) and in November 2004 made a commitment to be together. We got married this past March :)

Tickle83
09-28-2009, 01:07 PM
I have two.

I met him back when AOL was popular in 2000. He saw my profile, liked it and sent me an IM. I was 17 and he was 23 at the time. We met in person later that week, were married in March 2002 and were together until he passed away in Jan 2007, leaving me with three young kids.

My kids and I moved from Georgia, back to my homeplace of Newfoundland, Canada in July 2007, to be closer to my family. I met my fiance in Sept '07 on Yahoo Personals, we just celebrated two years together last week.

DanaLou
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
My AMAZING husband Joshua and I met 15 years ago in High School. We began dating 12 years ago and were married in 2000. One year he was just that annoying guy in my algebra class and to him I the girl dating that football player. The next year we had advanced biology together and we fell hard and fast :)

AR4life
10-11-2009, 10:30 PM
Great stories :)

I met my DH when I was 13, he came from a different feeder school to the grade 8-10 school. He would stand at the end of the hall and whistle at me, I thought that was the strangest thing to do. He liked my legs...lol
We started going out when we were 16, grade 11 and he was always asking me to marry him from then on. I said no quite a few times :) but as soon as he had a job I said I would. We got married in 1977, have had 3 wonderful children, and are still very much in love with each other :D

Smiling_Sara
10-12-2009, 09:02 PM
Haven't met him yet. ;)

ha..same here.

srr728
10-16-2009, 05:02 AM
we were set up by a friend of mine in college and our first date he stood me up....he had an excuse but I have no idea why i gave him a second chance that will be 10 years in Nov and also our first anniversary ;) I still give him a hard time about it

sweettooth
10-24-2009, 01:07 AM
this is cheesy but here it goes --- FRIENDSTER!! lol. I dont even have it any more but I still have the guy!! ;)

Natoshial
10-24-2009, 02:39 AM
I met the love of my life after signing up on a Christian Singles site. I did it thinking yeah, like I'm going to meet anyone on her in this small town. 2 weeks later the site sent me an email to let me know we were compatible. I was a Junior in college and almost broke so I didn't have the money to find out who he was. I did a name search for him and found a Christian website he had. I remember seeing his picture for the first time and thinking WOW!!! He had also been looking for me and somehow had come across a picture of me in his Sisters yearbook. Just so happened I had classes with his sister and dated a guy across the street from him. But had never seen him before in my life.

I emailed him to let him know I was interested. We talked on the phone for a week. He picked me up at my house that weekend. I must have really trusted him!!! We hung out that evening at the college game room. Playing around, laughing and having a ball. I knew right away he was the one.

We met in person on Nov. 6 1998 and got married on Nov. 6 1999. We'll soon be celebrating 10 years of marriage. We have 2 wonderful children. I can't imagine my life without him or with anyone else!!!

Tante Claire
10-24-2009, 02:21 PM
I met him on the pier.

Really.

We both worked for the same freighter company and were both new at our jobs. I was astounded that this 15 year old-looking guy could land a job of such responsibility (we were both at manager level). It turns out that he was 24 too, 3 months older than me. He had to show me his passport to prove it. That was in 1995.

My brother and his now-wife and us double-dated a couple of times and both couples got married within days of each other in 2003.

We have been together ever since we met, and are more in love now than ever. He's the cutest guy I had ever met, with an awesome sense of humor and full of joie de vivre. He got better with time, turning from a hot, sexy husband into the greatest father ever. I can't believe my luck.

bubblinb728
10-24-2009, 09:30 PM
I met him on online actually. We chatted for a while. Finally met and were stuck like glue after that. We married, had a kid....then something went wrong. He cheated. We got over it. He cheated again, we went to therapy. It happened again....I'm not separated. What a journey...even today I miss him and love him...oh well

heidiruth
10-25-2009, 02:04 AM
I met mine at a bud stop while I was on my way to work. We celebrated our 3 yr anniversary yesterday!!

natamars
10-25-2009, 03:29 AM
Seventeen years ago I was on vacation in the Bahamas with a male friend from college - we were just friends. We decided to go on a sunset catamaran cruise and started talking to some guys on the boat - they were doing some electronic work to clean up after Hurricane Andrew. Ended up going to a club later to dance and hooked up with the one who, five years later, after a long-distance relationship, a move, getting custody of his children, and buying a house together, would become my husband.

Sanna Maria
10-26-2009, 08:33 AM
I met mine on a skiing trip in the Alps. I was feeling really down and was whingeing to my friend how much my life sucked for weeks on end. And to cheer me up my friend said I should come skiing with a group of about 10, including her and her boyfriend. As my friend was joined at the hip with her man and didn't want to spend any time with me, I decided to make some friends with the other people in the group, including a very kind and handsome man with the most beautiful smile I've ever seen (everyone says if his career fails, there's always toothpaste ads to fall back on). It wasn't instant passion, but over the week we started really liking each other and we've been together ever since.

cormandy62442
10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
Haven't met him yet. ;)

Me either, but these stories are inspirational that when I do meet the one... I'll just *know*!!

patchworkpenguin
10-31-2009, 01:48 PM
Great thread. These stories are very sweet.

The first time I met my {now} Hubby was on my best friend's first date with him. Three years after they broke up, he and I started to long distance date, and about a year later we married.

He and I had been friends for a while after they broke up, and I kept thinking why can't I find a guy like him! Finally I thought if I'm looking so hard for a guy like him why don't I just date him! He was thinking the same thing but it still took us a while to get together because we didn't want to ruin a good friendship if the dating didn't work out.

melbellrocks
10-31-2009, 04:20 PM
On a Christian forum of an online dating site. I basically was just looking for people to talk to, I had decided that God would give me a husband when I was ready.

His profile said only contact him if you are local, but I did even though I was 1,000 miles away since I was only looking for people to talk to and he was one of the very few people my age on the forum. So, like the ornery Southern Girl I am I contacted him anyway. He had the weirdest sense of humor. We met after about 2 months and he kinda freaked me out how affectionate he was even though he didn't really know me. But then after another month of daily phone conversations and another visit I pretty much knew.

Before his first visit my mother was concerned for my safety so he photocopied his driver's license, social security card, and several other photo IDs he had and included them with a voided check and mailed them to my mother with a note that read, "Here. If I kill your daughter you know where to find me."

Oddly enough that put all our minds at ease and we have been married for 7 years now!!

sweetandspicy
11-10-2009, 04:03 PM
We first met 28 years ago when he bit me at Daycare. Fast forward 14 years and we got married at 18 when every single person in this world said it would never ever last. Fast forward 14 years we have been married 14 years, have 6 children and just now as he walked behind me my heart still pitter patters....

raebeaR
11-10-2009, 04:21 PM
After ridding myself of a decent first husband who Wasn't The One, and 8 years had passed while I dated but remained essentially alone, in 1998 I unexpectedly met my husband in an IRC chat room. He was Australian, I was in California... he worked nights, so we had some time to yap. Really liked the person but didn't expect more than friendship. After 6 months of chatting and long phone calls, he asked if he might visit California -- he'd always wanted to see it. I of course agreed to be his tour guide and invited him to stay. No expectations of romance.

I'll never forget the day he got off the plane wearing a silly hat with corks dangling from it, put his arm around my shoulders... and I felt like I'd come home after being away forever. That was it.

We spent 2 years wrangling with immigration and other issues involved in making such a horrendous move, but we were finally ecstatically married in February 2002 and savored nearly 6 blissful years together before his untimely death in October 2007.

There will never be another like him... but maybe there will be someone again. Time will tell.

nelie
11-10-2009, 04:40 PM
raebear - Umm.. I'm not sure if your post means he is on his way out or what :)

For me, I met my guy at work. We initially met when we lived 3000 miles away and really it was only a brief encounter and we hardly said more than hi to eachother. A couple years later, he had moved to Colorado, I moved to Colorado and we were working in the same office for a couple years. Things happened, he left the company, came back to the company, I was looking for a job, his new group had a job opening, we started talking a lot more, he moved to the east coast, we started talking a lot more, he started calling me off hours/at home, we talked a lot, I visited the east coast for a meeting where he was at as well and uhh pretty much from that moment we were officially (although secretly at work) together. A few months later, I moved to the east coast to be with him and that was that.

raebeaR
11-10-2009, 05:35 PM
nelie... he died in October 2007. But I hope I may yet find love again.

LittleMoonRabbit
11-10-2009, 06:19 PM
I met my husband through my cousin. He wanted me to talk to my now-dh because he wanted an "in" with his group of friends (oh silly high-school drama.) Well, we started talking, and we quickly became good friends. We had so much in common and we could just talk for hours and not run out of things to say.

About a month after meeting, he got a girlfriend... and I was fiercely jealous. But, I tried to be the supportive friend and act like it didn't bother me. About 3 weeks after they started dating, I told him the truth... that I liked him, and I wanted to be his girlfriend. He told me he liked me too, but we lived pretty far apart, and he was torn because he obviously liked this other girl he was seeing. Well, we hung out a couple days later, and that night, when he was ready to leave, I walked up to him and kissed him. It was my first kiss. A few days later, he broke up with his girlfriend (which I STILL feel kinda bad about, 8 years later), and we have been together ever since.

I met him when I was 14, and he was 18. He's been my one and only love... and it's been an amazing ride so far. Married for a little over 2 years now, and I feel lucky to be his wife.

Fat Pants
11-11-2009, 04:26 PM
Heh! I love reading these stories. :)

In early 2003, I was a junior in college and had broken up with this "love of my life" guy who was really a jerk but I was in too deep to really see it. We were trying to work things out or so I thought. I went to church one Sunday and saw this :love: HOT :love: guy walking back to his seat - thought, who is this guy? Never seen him before... anyway I quickly told myself that I wasn't ready to date since I was still trying to work things out with the Ex. Later that night I actually dreamed that I was dating the Hot Church Boy and I woke up, panicking, again thinking "no no, I can't be interested in anyone else..."

Needless to say, things didn't get patched up with the Ex.

Fast forward about 7 months and I still had not worked up the nerve to go talk to the hottie church boy. I did however find out we went to the same college. I was in a college-aged Bible study so finally one day I got up the nerve to go talk to him and invite him to BS. I had this plan that I would give him my number, he would call me and I'd invite him out to coffee and we'd fall madly in love and get married and have lots of babies forever and ever, amen. So I nervously approached him, managed to get out of my mouth something about bible study and here's my number (hands were shaking as I wrote down my number... NEVER have I been so nervous in my life!) Ok... so... the plan was in motion. Only? He never called me!!!

It was weird, but I just knew this was the guy I was going to end up marrying. So I persisted. I sat next to him in church, I said hello on campus, but nothing was happening. He was too shy or something. So finally, one day, I decided that I would sit with him in church and if nothing happened afterward, then I would give up. By this point I was a senior in college and planning on going out of state for graduate school so I didn't want to waste any more of my time because there were other guys who were interested in me!

We ended up talking in the parking lot after the service for 3 hours, and had our first date a week later. That was 6 years ago and we've been married for 3 years this December.

I am more and more in love with him every day. I married my best friend in the whole wide world.

Aww shucks, now I want to go home and see my hubby! :love:

nelie
11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
raebear - I'm so sorry :( Somehow I skipped over that part.

Pita09
11-11-2009, 05:19 PM
I met him on a writing forum for fictional writers. I needed an editor and he offered to help. We chatted on IM for one whole day about the story and writing, and then I realized he was someone REALLY special. He soon felt the same for me. We fell in love on the Internet and 10 months later he came to pick me up to move with him. We both changed states and moved to Georgia and have been blissfully happy for the almost four years.

Fressca
11-12-2009, 09:43 AM
I love, love, love reading about how people met!

Mine: he had horses (29 of them!) and I was a rider. A friend of mine was dating a friend of his, and she suggested I go with them to visit the farm one Saturday. "There are horses, and the guy who owns the place is a bachelor," she said, wink, wink. "Hmmm, interested in the horses, not the bachelor," I said, having just got out of a 6-year relationship.

When I met DH that day, he was unshaven, dressed in old clothes, creosoting fence posts, and I wasn't interested (loved the farm and horses, though!).

About a month later, after several visits to go riding, I'd fallen head over heels in love with this wonderful man, and we've been together ever since - 20 years now. *Sigh*. He's the best.

paradoxx
11-12-2009, 09:31 PM
I met my fiance a bit over 9 years ago. I was at an event for a local improv theater group and he was new. He walked right up to me and said, "You have the most beautiful eyes that I have ever seen." All of my friends hated him instantly because one of our other friends was obsessed with me. Everyone told me that it wouldn't last a month. Almost a decade later, I would say that they were wrong.

Corella191
11-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Wow raebeaR...i had cold chills when you were talking about him, and then when you said he died my heart just sank. As they say though, its better to have loved and lost, then never to have loved at all!

I met my husband when i was 15 and he was 20...He was a sophmore in college, i was a sophmore in high school. My best friend was dating his roommate and introduced us, after talking on the phone for hours every day, we finally met 2 weeks later and it was love at first sight. 3 months later we broke up, but then 6 months to the day, he walked through the door saying he could no longer be without me. It took me a few weeks to agree, and we were finally back together...we have been together now for almost 6 years, married last september and I couldn't imagine life without him.

Whats even crazier is that he even lived in this area, He actually was born and raised in Chicago, graduated with honors from his high school, and JROTC, tried out for the marines but couldn't continue because of having a metal plate in his knee, and was somehow given a full scholarship over 750 miles away to the local college around here. He took it, and because of all of those events, we were finally introduced...its like it was fate for him to come here and be with me...And even crazier, my parents absolutely loved him when they first met him, even though he was 20 and i was 15...Im so glad that everything worked out the way they did...

Ive never been happier

chicagoatnight
11-16-2009, 04:21 AM
raebear I'm so sorry for your loss.

I met my boyfriend on craigslist, it was *very* casual at first but then meandared into a full blown relationship. It's been rocky at times but it's been an amazing ride.

raebeaR
11-16-2009, 11:36 AM
Thanks to all for your kind condolences. I do appreciate them. :hug:

nelie... I would have liked to skip over that part, too, believe me! :^:

I shared my story for 2 reasons: First, because he really was the love of my life, and although I hope I may find someone again someday, I don't expect to find anyone so perfect for me again.

Second, to gently remind others that you must cherish every moment you have with that special person. I am not unique. What happened to me will happen to roughly 50% of everyone who loves deeply. And when it happens, your life changes in an instant. Your memories will become the most important thing you have -- so make sure they're the very best they can be!!!

I love hearing these stories, too. Love is everything. :)

mamabekki06
11-16-2009, 11:39 AM
I met my DH in 2003 off of hotornot.com. We've been married since 2006 and have a beautiful son!

Heidi58
11-16-2009, 06:21 PM
I was a waitress at a family restaurant/ice cream shop when I was in high school. My DH was stationed at the Army base and started coming in for supper every evening. He'd hang around until we closed up for the night and I finally caught on..... lol

We got married during my senior year of college and we'll celebrate our 30th anniversary in January. The years sure have flown by. I loved him when I married him, but it wasn't even close to the way I love him now. :hug:

rakel
11-18-2009, 05:20 PM
It was 100% unintentional, but I met my husband on the internet through a forum called Christian Guitar Resources. He had been a member for a long time because he was in a band, but hadn't posted for a long time. Of course, about when I joined (the summer of '03 right after I graduated high school) he started posting again. The first thing he ever said to me was in a thread where I had posted my photo; he asked, "Do you get your eyebrows professionally done?" Which I thought was quite bizarre but flattering in a way, because I don't even touch my brows in any way, shape or form and never have.

Eventually we had our first IM conversation a couple days after Christmas '03. From that point on we talked pretty regularly until it became an evening ritual almost every day. On Easter '04 we had our first phone call and talked nearly the whole day (seriously, it was like 8 hours). Around that time I realized that I was totally falling for him. I don't remember exactly how it happened (but I believe have IM chat logs that I could probably review), but we eventually admitted that we had feelings for each other, and that began our romance. We sent each other care packages, talked on the phone somewhat frequently, chatted on IM every day, and longed for the day that we could meet, since we lived approximately 1,200 miles away from each other.

On October 25th, 2004 I went with my dad to the airport to pick him up. After spending some time with my dad (my parents are divorced) I drove him back to my mom's house where he would be staying for the week. That week was a lot of firsts for me, and it's when we decided to make our boyfriend/girlfriend status official. I've only ever seen him cry twice, and the first time was the night before he had to go back. After he left, I missed him so much and I just knew that we were meant to be together.

I visited him the following January ('05) and planned on moving down there as soon as I finished the semester. Consequently, my dad was getting married at the end of May, so I bought a one-way ticket for John to come up, and then we packed up all of my things in my '96 VW Jetta, and drove from Chicagoland to Orlando in 22 hours straight, taking turns driving.

We knew we wanted to get married, but we weren't quite sure about the timing. His father was sick when I moved down and died that December. We finally decided to get married in March '08, which means our 2 year anniversary is coming up this next March. I could not imagine life without him. I don't regret the move in the least, though I do miss my family and friends a lot.

So I know that was kind of a long story, but I know that really enjoyed everyone's stories.

bensempress
11-19-2009, 01:32 AM
Some really great stories here! We met at work about 11 years ago and we've been inseperable ever since :)

Shopaholic1204
11-19-2009, 08:37 AM
I met my hubby about 11 years ago in the 8th grade!!! I hated him cuz he called me ugly. Although, he claims that he never said that. He did. We dated for a tiny bit during freshman year..stayed friends through high school..and then got back together senior year 2003. We were married in 2004..and will celebrate our 5th anniversary Dec. 4th!!

FrouFrou
11-22-2009, 11:38 AM
First hubby I met thru friends...3 children and 12 years later he was killed.

Second hubby...met thru a personal ad/dating service...it was a paper published thru a dating service that was/is sent out once a month. You write and if the person is interested they write back. About 1 1/2 years after meeting we married and have been married going on 11 years.

branflake
11-22-2009, 03:27 PM
We were next door neighbors when I was in 6th and 7th grade. My family and I moved a few states away but over the years I still remained friends with his brother and a mutual friend who lived on our street.

Fast forward to college when I was 18 and that mutual friend who I hadn't talked to in ages tells me about Danny and what he had been up to as I hadn't heard anything about him in years. I got his phone number and gave him a call. He drove from where he was stationed in Jacksonville, FL to northern Arkansas to visit for two weeks after months of phone talking. And that was it for me. I knew from our 9 hour phone conversations before then that he was the one for me. He visited in March 2003. In May 2003 he came back up for a week and I went with him to where he was then stationed to visit for a week as well. He proposed that week on the beach at sunset. :) July 19th 2003 we were married. One of the best decisions I've made in my life. There is no doubt that we were made for eachother. 6 1/2 years of marriage and one beautiful child later....still as happy and in love as can be!

Clarebee
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM
I met Lee on a forum. We spoke for about 4 months and decided to meet up.
It was love at first sight. I knew I had met my soulmate.

Haven't had 5 minutes to myself since, haha!! (wouldn't have it any other way)

Primm
11-23-2009, 01:30 AM
We met on an internet dating site. He was looking (sort of). I put up my profile at 2am as a drunken bet.

He tells it so much better than I do:

http://www.earlydatsun.com/ruth.html

I shared my story for 2 reasons: First, because he really was the love of my life, and although I hope I may find someone again someday, I don't expect to find anyone so perfect for me again.

Second, to gently remind others that you must cherish every moment you have with that special person. I am not unique. What happened to me will happen to roughly 50% of everyone who loves deeply. And when it happens, your life changes in an instant. Your memories will become the most important thing you have -- so make sure they're the very best they can be!!!

I love hearing these stories, too. Love is everything. :)

That's the most important thing, isn't it? To make the most of every single moment.

Shorty28
12-16-2009, 02:57 PM
We met at the local skating rink it was our first jobs at age 15-16. Now 8 yrs later we have been married for 4 years and have two children.

Hannah123
12-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I met my husband in an apartment building when he came over to meet a girlfriend who had been visiting me. Ooops, sorry she didn't live here, only met, led to coffee and then 27 years of marriage and 2 wonderful sons. Then he passes away. Recenlty I've met a very nice gentleman on a dating site and he grew up on a farm and knows how to fix everything! I can fix nothing but he sure loves my cooking and baking!:)

TIARA
12-16-2009, 07:51 PM
On a Christian forum of an online dating site. I basically was just looking for people to talk to, I had decided that God would give me a husband when I was ready.

His profile said only contact him if you are local, but I did even though I was 1,000 miles away since I was only looking for people to talk to and he was one of the very few people my age on the forum. So, like the ornery Southern Girl I am I contacted him anyway. He had the weirdest sense of humor. We met after about 2 months and he kinda freaked me out how affectionate he was even though he didn't really know me. But then after another month of daily phone conversations and another visit I pretty much knew.

Before his first visit my mother was concerned for my safety so he photocopied his driver's license, social security card, and several other photo IDs he had and included them with a voided check and mailed them to my mother with a note that read, "Here. If I kill your daughter you know where to find me."

Oddly enough that put all our minds at ease and we have been married for 7 years now!!

lol he sounds like a character...

i havent found the right one.. but i know he'z out there:hug:

stargzr
12-17-2009, 12:59 PM
We both played little league for different teams. I was the only girl in the whole division and it was my first year where they pitch to you (instead of hitting off a tee). He hit me twice with the ball (he was the pitcher)!!!
Fast forward quite a few years and he walks through my friend's door while I'm there (Superbowl 2004). I couldn't help this feeling of "Who is this guy?! He's so hot!". After he left I asked about him, but he was 'seriously' dating someone else. A few months later (May 2004) and we end up riding together (with my same friend's family) to a festival. We really clicked, but he was still in said relationship so he tried to stay away from me. Again, a few months later (August 2004) we both are at his grandparent's 60th anniversary party (come to find out, my friend and he are cousins). We really hit it off and after my friend fell asleep before taking me home, he was the only one left to drive me. Although my house was no more than 7 minutes away, we drove for hours... I barely made it home by curfew. He was still with said girlfriend so we didn't talk after that. One more fast forward (December 2004) and we saw each other at his counsin's (my friend's) birthday dinner. He got my number and called me almost every day until later in Dec when he broke it off with his girlfriend because he started having feelings for me. Meanwhile, I had also been dating someone else. A few days after he split with his girlfriend, I broke it off with my boyfriend. He asked me out a few times before I finally said yes. It took me a little while longer than him to realize this was it... It'll be 5 years together on Dec 27th... Married last year on November 8. :)

Mickeypnd
12-17-2009, 01:17 PM
myspace. lol.

Sheena41
12-17-2009, 01:59 PM
Mycollege roommate introduced us. We have been married almost 25 years and together for 27.

L R K
12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Online - been together for 8 years now. Made the big move from Australia to Canada - been here for 5 years now and we got engaged last year :)

caryesings
12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Too early to tell if he's THE ONE, but met my current beau when my 50th birthday present was delivered to his home because I was gone which made him aware of the fact that there was a 50 year old single woman living in the next block and came by to introduce himself when I got back home. So told my friend I never got the fruit she sent, but having a man deliver himself to my front yard certainly the best birthday present ever. We've been dating 6 weeks now.

jendiet
12-17-2009, 07:15 PM
This is a book.....I was born and raised in New York, moved to Florida, and then to Oklahoma, it was in OK, I saw a movie in History called the "Blue and the Gray". There was something about that southern charm in the confederates that really enchanted me.

Well, growing up I never had the "boy crazy" phase. I just sat around and watched very volatile teenage romances. I did have a few crushes, but nothing ever came of them.

One crush in particular, really broke my heart. It was this guy named W.E.S. He was dating this beautiful petite girl , Sarah. Well, I had a MAJOR crush on him. One day I asked God "Would you please play me a song on the radio for how WES feels about me?" The next song was "Sarah Smile". I knew it wasn't right.

Fast foward a couple of months. I am 17 heading for OSU as a prevet major. so many things happened that seemed to try to keep me from going to this school My financial situation was one of them.

But, i did go. We had this pre-class thing called Alpha Week. And I was getting acquainted to the big scary campus. I liked the mezzanine because there was a piano there. I could not play, but how I loved to hear the piano being played.

A girlfriend who was in the same major with me, was playing me Pachabel's Cannon and I saw this guy walking up the stairs out of the corner of my eye. Something about him MOVED me. Not many guys turned my head, but this one captivated me. He had the most beautiful blue eyes. And he was wearing a backwards baseball cap.

He came over to us. I was holding my breath--I Think I wanted to run. He asked if he could play on the piano. When he said the words "Can I try?" there was such an interesting twang to his voice. I thought he sounded alot like Forest Gump. I knew instantly he was southern. My girlfriend was so beautiful I thought he was trying to talk to her, so I tried to get out of the way a little. He sat down. His long thin fingers glided so beautifully across the keys, he was very talented. He played a song I will never forget "Terms of Endearment". Well, my beautiful girlfriend excused herself. I was left alone with the stranger, that I didn't ever want to leave.

I was so shy though. And had such a negative self concept. I thought "he will never want to talk to me." Then he nudged me gently with his elbow. I smiled at him. So I just sat and listened intently to his playing. Finally I thought of something to say. I asked him "how long have you been playing?"

He said "12 years".
"Then you better be good!" I joked.
he smiled back at me.
I was so scared. I didn't want to look like an idiot. So I told him I had to go get ready for class, I didn't want him to know how much I liked him. Well, then he suprised me. He hopped off the piano bench and said "well, may I call you some time?!" I smiled and said yes. I wrote my phone number on his hand.

He called me, and on our first date we had a coconut on the 14th floor. I broke his favorite hunting knife trying to stab it open. I felt so bad.

I quickly found out he was a SOUTHERN AS YOU CAN GET BAPTIST. I was raised a catholic. He was a hunter. I was a vegetarian. He was from the deep south with deep south values. I was a New Yorker.

Yet we stayed together, we had lots of problems. We hurt each other deeply. He left OK, to go back to SC. I tried to move on, but couldn't. He was so mad at me for things that happened with our relationship. But I just knew we were supposed to be together.

I wrote him. I called him occasionally. I mostly wrote him love letters, which he never answered. But I just knew he wanted me to keep writing to him.

finally after a year of our breakup, i heard from him. He poured out his heart how badly i had hurt him, but that he couldn't stop thinking of me...and just a whole side to him I knew was there all along.

Another tragedy hit our relationship though, and he stopped writing. And just like that my heart was broken again. Again, i tried to move on. I still wrote him to let him know he was on my heart, and called him occasionally.

He wrote to me again a few years later. I couldn't believe it, the same story. Basically pouring his heart out to me how he couldn't live without the love i gave to him, the best love he'd ever known and again how BADLY i had hurt him.

His family did not want him talking to me, they did not want me to write him letters. they took my mail, screened for my phone calls.

I had lost my apt. I did not know how to let him know where I was, but he found me at my parents house. He called me. And we were back together in a long distance relationship.

I decided to move out to SC, for alot of reasons. When I got there, he called less and less. He still did not tell his parents about us seeing each other again.

Then I told him I needed some time to figure things out. HE broke up with me again in 2002.

I put my life together in SC, but I couldn't forget him. I wrote to him to let him know how I was.

Then one day in 2005, i called him. He told me after that call, I could not call him anymore...He told me that I should not write to him anymore. He was seriously dating someone who found my letters and she wasn't happy.

When I asked how the relationship was going. He said "It's going really well, I Have the ring in my pocket, now I just need to ask her". This broke my heart more than anything ever. I told him. Ok, marry whoever you want, but destiny is destiny. I told him I would always love him, but I would let him go.

My heart was broken into a million pieces. I decided to really move forward with my life. I even started to really date again....

One night I was laying in my bed, crying, praying. I thought of him. I felt in my heart I NEEDED to email him. After fighting with myself for a while, I finally did. I just wrote him a note telling him, that I was thinking of him, and would always be there if he needed me, and I hoped he was happy. This was about 3 months after THAT call.

Suprisingly, he emailed me back. I thought he was going to cuss the daylights out of me. Well, he poured his heart out that he had almost died, and his GF left him for another guy.

I was still so hurt by THAT call, I was determined to just be his friend.

Well, he begged to come over. He spent Thanksgiving with me. Then, we went to the Mountains together, but our relationship was still so dodgy. His parents still didn't know. It wasn't until my dad died, and the poop hit the fan when his mom's dad died too. They found out all about me! And they were raving mad.

Well, finally, i met them when he had to have a surgery done, and I insisted on being there!

Shortly after that we moved in together, and I have no regrets. I love this man. Whenever I see him my heart still beats faster. I couldn't imagine loving another man again. Even more than 11 years after we first met.

i left alot of stuff out, but you get the idea.

horrorchick
12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
We worked for the same company but at different locations. When he would bring a delivery we would talk, but nothing more. Over the next 6 years I married someone and he married someone. Two years ago I was transferred to his location. Six months after my marriage ended and 5 months after his ended, he asked me out. We have been together now for almost two years and I have never been happier!!

starfishkitty
12-18-2009, 03:36 AM
Jendiet..... amazing. Truly amazing. I wish the absolute best for you two... it gives the rest of us in interesting/complicated relationships hope.... :) :hug:

jendiet
12-18-2009, 03:14 PM
Amanda, thanks...I LOVE your quote!

lackadaisy
12-18-2009, 04:22 PM
I may have meet mine already, but I wouldn't know it... :) These stories are *so* cute and inspiring, though.

Mikayla
12-20-2009, 12:03 PM
I met my husband in the 5th grade! He had moved from a neighboring school district, we were friends almost instantly. As time passed we were always pretty close, we hang out in the same group of friends. When we got to high school I started dating this other guy and my now husband got super jealous, but he kept it to himself and we remained friends. When things started turning sour with me and the b/f I guess he couldn't take it anymore and he confessed to me that I should be with him instead of the other guy.
We started dating almost immediately and we've been together ever since(well we broke up briefly in high school, maybe for 3 months but you get the idea) We've been together for 11 years now...married for 3. He's an awesome guy and I really cannot imagine life without him!

annie96
12-30-2009, 08:38 PM
I was stocking dairy products and she was catching shoplifters. Hope I can always answer this question the same! LOL

kuhrisuh
12-30-2009, 11:14 PM
We met at work :)

Funny story.. before we knew each other, I was dating another guy who had gotten into a fight with one of my current boyfriends friends, so my current boyfriend came over to my then boyfriends house to make sure he knew not to do anything like that again...

Much later, I started talking to my current boyfriends roommate, and then when that didn't work out I ended up with who I'm with now. Whooooooooooooooh. :dizzy:

sidhe
12-30-2009, 11:59 PM
We met initially on a text-based multiplayer game that is based in Sweden in 1995. This was right when the internet was taking off, and being able to talk to people all over the world was revolutionary. We were friends, but really nothing else. We did, after all, live in different countries.

Technically speaking I first met him at LAX airport, when I was living in San Diego and he was living in Birmingham, England. He had a layover on his way to visit friends in New Zealand, and asked if anyone wanted to hang out for that 5 hours. I said sure, and drove up.

3 weeks after our first meeting I was in a really bad car accident that left me comatose, and when I woke up a month later I had some retrograde amnesia to deal with. I remembered the game, but no one on the game. So I logged back in and hung out, because once I was out of the hospital I still wasn't strong enough to leave the house. I had nothing to do, so I spent my time on the game. He started talking to me again along with all my other friends, and slowly I cobbled together memories.

Two years after that I had healed and moved out and was living in Minnesota. He had just broken up with his long-term girlfriend, and needed a change of scene. He came to visit me at Thanksgiving and stayed a week. Then for a surgery I was having in January, then for Valentine's Day. Then I went to London, where he was living at the time, for 3 months. 2 weeks after I got there he started talking about a marriage of convenience, so "we can spend more time in each other's country and get to know each other, and decide if we want to do it for real." I told him he had to clear it with my mom (HAH!!!). He explained this idea of his to my mom, and she very levelly said, "young man, if you marry my daughter, you marry her forever." She scared him so much that he tossed the phone to me and left the room! :lol:

Later we talked and I said, "you know, when I was a little girl I never had a fantasy about some guy saying 'hey baby, let's get married so I can have a green card.' If you want this, you have to do it right. I want a white dress, and I want a ring." He dropped the subject.

Two weeks later he invited me to Oxford Street to pick out a ring. A week after that, he proposed in Hyde Park. In the rain. With the ducks. ;)

So that's our history! We came back here to my hometown to get married, and we've lived here ever since. Next February will be 9 years. There's been days I wanted to kill him, but no days when I wanted to give him up. :love:

CyndiM
12-31-2009, 05:28 PM
We were on a listserv together. 12 years ago tonight we were both home and started chatting (the old ICQ days). We've been living together for 9.5 years and just got married in September when state law changed and we could :)

ShootingStar
01-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Online at a site for disabled people to connect. We both have MS, and he lives in Nevada, I'm in Utah, so that started the conversation. We talked by phone, he came out here to visit me April '09, our first date was volunteering at an MS walk. Volunteering is an excellent way to get to know someone! He's been out here several times, I went to Montana with him to a family get-together in July, and we talk at least a couple of times a week and see each other every couple of months. We have both been married more than once, and for now we don't speak of the M word much. We both feel fortunate to have our jobs where we are, and both have young adults still in the home (18,19,20), so in a couple of years will be the time to make things permanent, I KNOW I can get him on where I work :D

Mommato2
01-03-2010, 01:13 PM
My old roommate and I moved upstairs from my now husband and his roommate... we invited them up for drinks and we had a connection... a few months later we were dating. My old roommate and his old roommate started dating too...

jules1216
01-03-2010, 01:23 PM
a mutual friend was trying to get me to set him up with my friend so he set me up with one of his friends and we all went ot hubby's house where me and hubby felt sparks!!

mom4life
01-06-2010, 05:40 PM
It was back in 1996, We both have different dates of when we met. we officially met outside of a church waiting for a concert to start. A mutual friend invited dh, I guess I wasn't interested because I do remember the event but I don't remember it being him. He said he liked me off the bat and thought I was cute. I on the other hand remember noticing him at a Holocaust museum (a couple months later) where a group of us went together for a tour. We were in the gas chamber (sounds weird) and when the lights came back on...our eyes met each others from across the room and I knew I fell for him. We all went out to eat afterward and we kept looking at each other from across the table. Later when he had left, a mutual friend told me that it was very clear that dh liked me.
A month later we went to an amusement park together and became boyfriend and girlfriend by the time we left. LOL We were together for a year. I was 21 while he was 26. We were talking about marriage but I was put off because I didn't like his last name. When we broke up, I let out a sigh of relief. LOL
We still kept in touch as friends for the next few years. Then late 1999, he started coming to my church but was rather serious about some girl which was fine because I wasn't interested and had feeling for a guy I had broken up with a couple months before. Dh and I remained real friends for a year. He had already broken up with his girlfriend and we started seeing more of each other, to the point that people at my church thought we were together. Finally one night we made it official and were now dating. 3 months later he told me:
DH: You know I think its about time we get married, what do you think?
Me: Okay, when should we do this and when do we pick out rings?
DH: We can go this Saturday for the rings. And what about in a couple months we get married.
ME: sounds good, I like March (which was 2 month later)
DH: Okay, lets go to jack in the box to celebrate.
ME: okay....cool
this coming March 3rd, we'll be happily married for 9 yrs. :)

ibcnuldu
01-06-2010, 05:47 PM
Online on a Final Fantasy message board:lol: Oh to be young and geeky!

LiLLy19
01-14-2010, 01:00 AM
Myspace :)~ Talked for 2 months online/phone before I met him in person. Even before I saw him I knew he was the one. I finally started believing that you will know when it happens!

Coondocks
01-12-2011, 04:47 PM
came back 'home' after a long over due break up, went to work at the hotel down the street as the front office manager, and kept hearing about the 'hot bartender' in the lounge. I worked mornings for a month or 2, never saw him.
On my first evening shift, in he walked, charming, flirting and flashing a smile. Being a bartender myself for years, I didn't buy into that and when the girls at the desk asked me "So - what do you think, isn't he hot?" they were a little shocked when I laughed and said, "Actually, no"
Little did I know he overheard me (the lounge backdoor opened up by my office) so he figured ohh a challenge, this girl thinks she wont fall to my charm.
He came up and introduced himself, threw some lines at me and was SHOCKED when I threw some right back at him :) :)
Apparently I was the only girl he met that didn't fall all over him and that intrigued him, and he chased me. . . . for a year :) :)

We learned 2 years later my former sister inlaw dated my SO's best friend in high school and I had actually met him 5 years before working with him. . . . and he bartended with my brother durring that time frame too. This city is WAY too small.

Im still amused when I think about that day he tried to run game on me and didn't know what to do when I ran it back on him ha ha. Boys are so funny.

krampus
01-12-2011, 09:15 PM
I have many loves of my life, but the "official" one I met while drunk at a pizza parlor in the wee hours when I was in college. I was with my ex at the time, saw PB (Perfect Boyfriend), decided I was going to pursue him, and shoved my ex out the door the next morning to do a bit of Facebook stalking. I found PB, sent him a cheeky "we met last night, you're cute" message, he responded in kind, we set up a date, and now we've been together for 4 1/2 years. He's in Japan too which worked out nicely.

Serval87
01-13-2011, 12:08 AM
When I was seventeen I would go on this chatroom thing called the doll palace, and one day I had put up a pretty morbid avatar, and was in a room by myself. I was kind of dazed off, and kind of bored, and was just hanging out in that empty, virtual room, then an avatar with the name Martin appeared, passed by, and then came back. He then started IMing me, asking me why I was by myself, and I said I was depressed. Then he asked me if I needed a friend, and I said yes. Soon we exchanged pictures. And for a while, we chatted off and on, and then more frequently. Then one night after I got dumped by a boyfriend, he asked if he could call me, and I gave him my phone number. That's when we started talking on the phone every night for long hours.

Nearly two years after that first phone call, he came to visit me in TN. He lived in CA. We spent almost two weeks together, and then we ran away and got married in a courthouse (my parents weren't too thrilled with that).

We've been married now for 5 years and 2 months. My parents realized that we were really in it for the long-run, and that we really love each other, so there is no longer any tension between us. :)

astrophe
01-13-2011, 03:00 AM
Somehow we wound up living in the same dorm in the early '90's. He was a year ahead of me and lived 2 floors down. We started noticing each other and were making friends with some of the same people, so we fell in step pretty soon after that.

Been together ever since.

A.

sept15lija
01-13-2011, 09:47 AM
He was dating my good friend, when we were in grade 11. We all hung out ALL the time, we were great friends. Then my friend dumped him in first year university, and got together with his best friend. Then, I got together with him (just kinda happened). We got married, and my good friend married my DH's best friend, and then we were all good friends!! (they are now divorced, but we have been happily married for almost 10 years!).

just keep swimming
01-13-2011, 08:20 PM
I love this thread!

Petite Powerhouse
01-13-2011, 08:31 PM
We met at work a gazillion years ago. He's a West Coast boy; I've lived all over the country. As a result, he thought I had a strange way of pronouncing a lot of words and told me so. Needless to say, that didn't endear him to me. While working the weekend, though, we got to talking about Star Trek. (Yes, that's right: I'm a Trekkie since birth. So sue me. :)) That was that: it was kismet. He said he had something to show me, so we went to Vegas the next weekend and hung out the whole time at Star Trek: The Experience. It was the best weekend ever!!!

Online on a Final Fantasy message board:lol: Oh to be young and geeky!

Sadly, I'm 37 and geeky. ;) I'm actually pretty "normal," though. I just happen to like science fiction and fantasy. (I only dress up at Halloween. Really.)

reji
01-13-2011, 11:38 PM
A friend of mine, Rose, was hired to be my partner's temporary replacement while my partner was on maternity leave. They became good friends, and for several months, all I heard from Rose was what a great time the two of them were having taking road trips, playing card games and generally hanging out. I finally met this "amazing woman" around that time and we became friends, but we didn't start dating for another six years. It was New Years Eve 2000, we were ready for the world to end (Y2K, you know), and something just clicked when I looked at her that night. We've been married nine years now, and I'm happier than I've ever been.

DingoK8
01-14-2011, 12:02 AM
My husband and I met when we were both in the Army. He lived in the room across from mine in the barracks. 13 years, 4 major moves, and umpteen deployments later, we're still happy.

The Last Noel
01-14-2011, 12:09 AM
I gave birth to her and she has been the center of my universe ever since. I believe there is no stronger love than the love of a mother for her child. And for me that is the only real True Love.

XLMuffnTop
01-14-2011, 11:20 AM
Sadly, I'm 37 and geeky. ;) I'm actually pretty "normal," though. I just happen to like science fiction and fantasy. (I only dress up at Halloween. Really.)

I'm 27 and my husband's 38 and we're so geeky. If it weren't for video games we never would have met:

I played a video game for years, it was aging so it had a very small population left so everyone knew everyone. When I moved to DFW, I found out some guys were having a LAN party at their house (everyone brings their PCs, drinks, plays games) so I went with my boyfriend at the time.

Flashforward like three years, Everquest 2 comes out and I get a few guys to play with me. My DH, whom I'd never really spoken to as he was newer, decided to come play with us as well. All the other guys left for other games pretty quickly and that left DH and myself. We ended up talking from 10pm to 6 am every night. I found out he was in the Navy along with some of the other guys I'd met previously and only lived about 50 miles away.

Given I knew people he worked with in the military, I figured he couldn't be a total psycho, and even if he was, my horrible tragic death would be able to be traced to him easily (yeah, I'm morbid.) So, coming off a year long relationship with a total A-hole, we decided to met for drinks on the Saturday before Valentine's day because we didn't have anything else to do.

Then we met again two weeks later, then I stayed at his place for a week another two weeks later. About six months later we moved in together. Married about two years after we met. :D

Francyfar
01-17-2011, 04:26 AM
:( not yet

maalisse
01-17-2011, 03:32 PM
Short version: He was my teacher. *blush*

Longer version: I was actually engaged to another fellow, but we were having serious problems, and had been for awhile. DH had a serious girlfriend at the time, but they were have serious problems, and had been for awhile. I was looking for a career change and started chasing my lifelong passion: to work in the videogame industry. I took a Game Art & Design diploma at a local college, where DH taught.

I knew I was in trouble the second he walked into the room: he was young (26, and I was 24) and so hot that my jaw dropped, and I'm not a physical appearance type of person. I leaned over to my friend and said, "Holy f***, I'm in trouble." Haha! I tried to deny it, but it became more and more apparent that I was falling for him. I had had infatuations before while with my ex-fiance, but this was something much more, and I was torn apart by guilt. Because my ex-fiance and I had zero communication skills, I didn't even mention it to him...and so things got worse. (Turns out my ex had his own infatuation, too...that relationship should have ended way before that!)

Anyway, I had DH for two semesters, and halfway through, we actually ended up (coincidentally) breaking up with our partners at almost the exact same time. By that point, we were acquaintances outside of class, so we helped each other through the breakups a bit. My stupid crush grew and grew and I HATED it!! By this point most of my classmates knew about it (they tried to make us sit together during extracurricular activities and stuff to set us up), but I wouldn't dare do anything to tarnish my reputation! I told myself that I'd confess my feelings to him once I had finished his classes, and only then. The countdown started. Four weeks...three...two...

And then he started dating another gal, right before the last class. I was pretty upset, but tried my best to move on. "It was a silly student crush anyway. Pathetic." I'm usually good at moving on, but it was like my mind was fixated on him. I started having dreams that we were married and living together and all this unhelpful, stalker-like stuff. It drove me mad!

Meanwhile, we became very close friends. He was the teacher contact for one of our after-school clubs, and because we lived close by, he started giving me rides home, which gave us time to talk. Then we started chatting online, and soon connected in a huge way about many, many different things. I even coached him through issues with his new gal pal (trying to save that relationship was SO hard on me, haha, but I figured that as his friend, I should want him to be happy), and then consoled him when they decided to stop seeing each other.

Anyway, eventually, a friend's comment on a blog post revealed to DH that I liked him...and so I took him for coffee and told him how I felt. We spent another week as friends, discussing what a relationship would be like, what we'd learned from our failed relationships, and other things (health problems, long term goals, etc.) It was like we were negotiating the terms of our relationship before it began. :P

And then, we started dating. Three years later, he proposed. Now, almost two years after that, we're happily married and better than ever. Not a bad ending to a ridiculously silly student crush!

oodlesofnoodles
01-18-2011, 10:04 PM
We met through a guy that, oddly enough, I thought was the love of my life. It was unrequited, but I wasn't really looking at all for a boy since I thought this mutual friend was it. We hung out in the group and I noticed he was REALLY fuuny, and REALLY smart, and so laid back. I became very interested, and we ended up hanging out one and one and really hitting it off. We started dating within 2 weeks of that, and now we're ridiculously in love. Apparently he was into me from the time we met haha. We've been together almost 2 years. I'd love a ring haha, but we're po' college students so I understand. The best part is, his family took me in like stray kitten. They're a huge, crazy bunch with a zillion animals and a ton of kids but I love them all.

Fairy tales happen, I tell ya hwhat.

19Deltawifey
01-18-2011, 11:01 PM
I first noticed my husband when I was in 4th grade and he was in 5th grade, I was like wow he's cute. I didn't see/notice him again until I was in 10th grade, I had a boyfriend so we didn't click that year but I noticed how handsome and tall he was. I was in welding class 11th grade year, and he was giving the middle school kids a tour of the votech school. I really noticed him that day and my boyfriend had just broken up with me for the millionth time.

I told one of my guy classmates to tell him "I want to hit that" lol. He asked me to prom and we started dating then (2001). We got married 2003, I was 19 he was 20. Our daughter was born less than a year later. We've been married ever since. We just celebrated our 7yr wedding anniv. Nov.2010. Never did I imagine the boy who I thought was so cute on the bus in 4th grade would one day be my husband and the father of my kids.

I'm so happy I didn't pass the moment up to date him because he was about 3 months away from graduating and I would have been kicking myself in the A$$ wondering where he is in the world and why didn't I snatch him up when I had the chance. Life is awesome with him and I couldn't imagine life without him.

fitkristi
01-18-2011, 11:21 PM
match.com!

Serval87
01-19-2011, 05:01 AM
I LOVE these stories. :)

MissKoo
01-19-2011, 07:38 PM
Online and married since 99

rosababe
01-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Not yet..
Hope soon:carrot:

aasshhlleeyy
01-20-2011, 03:03 AM
umm... a friend set us up when I was 16 who would have thought we'd be married now lol

DigitalSinner
01-20-2011, 05:02 PM
Hah...online, in a video game. Who'd have thought?!

amandaswan89
02-01-2011, 12:23 PM
I was talking to my friend on AOL chat, and I suggested he give me someone he knows to talk to, I like to meet new people. He gave me a list of 3 people, and I randomly picked the one with the name Shawn. Only because The friends of mine I was talking to was named Shaun and I thought it would be funny to talk to two Shawns. Well, 7 years later.. I couldn't be happier.

amandaswan89
02-01-2011, 12:24 PM
wow, i was reading some of these.. and they are amazing.

TheBunneh
02-01-2011, 12:40 PM
I met my husband online, on a fan forum for a book series. We started chatting over instant messaging, with microphone and webcam, then he drove over 1,000 miles to visit me. :D

We dated long distance before getting married, and then I moved to his hometown (but sadly we had to move across the country for his job, I miss my MIL a great deal :(). Our fourth anniversary is in June. It's hard to believe it's been that long already!