Mini-Goals - Reached Goal of 150 pounds in 1 year!

cfmama
09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Well I've done the impossible. Impossible to me anyways! I've lost 150 pounds in one year. In just ONE YEAR I've gone from 377 pounds to 226.8. Actually three days shy of one year ;) I've been asked multiple times for my "story." So here is the very abbreviated version (as I am working on a book.)

I was always a thin child. Played outside all day. Very active. Around puberty I started to put on weight due to family issues and genetics... and CRAPPY eating. By the time I was 18 I weight 180 pounds. And by the time I was 20? 299 pounds. Yes I put on 120 pounds in two short years. A failed relationship, an abusive relationship that led to me losing my 19 week gestation daughter and multiple suicide events all led to me basically sleeping and living on junk food for two years. When I woke up out of my food "coma" I was 299 pounds.

I met my wonderful husband online and then in person and we were married 2 years later. He NEVER judged me and my size NEVER mattered. I had two babies and multiple miscarriages. By then I was 360 pounds and showed no signs of stopping. In 2005 I was diagnosed with a very rare blood clotting disorder that is life threatening when you are overweight. I'd like to say that was enough to stop my insanity... but it was not. I had another child, kept eating poorly and prepared myself to die.

I suffered from massive panic attacks. My knee's KILLED ME. I had undiagnosed sleep apnea. My hips and back were giving out on me and yet I kept on trucking. Thinking I was going to die. KNOWING I was going to die. And not doing a damn thing about it.

Now's where I wish I could say that I had a MOMENT or a significant event that CHANGED MY LIFE. But I didn't... I woke up on the morning of September 27, 2008 and decided I was done with being fat. I was DONE. That I WAS going to lose weight. That I DIDN'T have to let my weight kill me. That I DIDN'T have to be in pain. That my weight WAS something I COULD control.

I knew it was going to take a long time. I was planning on losing 75 pounds my first year. And taking 3-4 years to get off all of the weight. But that was okay! I knew that in a year I could be the same weight, or heavier or lighter... but that year was going to go by NO MATTER WHAT. And I could make the most of that year. Even if I ONLY LOST 20 POUNDS. It would be 20 pounds less weight on my heart, my joints and my mind. I was going to go for it. And I did. From that moment on.

So what did I do? I started counting calories. I started at 1800 (and could have started higher) I cut the junk COMPLETELY, upped my water intake and started walking. That it's. That's all. The first 3 weeks SUCKED. I suffered massive junk/sugar/caffeine withdrawal. The hardest three weeks of my life. And then the fog lifted and it was okay! And what that fog lifted I had already lost over 15 pounds!

Now I've read stories about huge amounts of weight being lost. I even read one that said you were going to HATE losing weight. HATE the food. HATE everything about it. I didn't. And it didn't suck. And it STILL does not suck. I knew that for me it had to be doable for life. So I had to eat good amounts of good tasting food. And often. So I eat 5 times a day (3 meals and 2 snacks.) I use lots of seasoning. Roast tons of veggies. Lots of REALLY yummy salads. TONS of whole grains and lean proteins. And no junk. And cutting out the junk did not mean that I binged on it. I just DIDN'T EAT IT. And I know that's not for everyone... but EVERYONE asks HOW I lost SO MUCH weight in one year. Well that's it. I CUT THE CRAP. Both food and mental. I just did it. Day after day after day. One foot after another. Through gall bladder disease (4 months in and out of hospital) through pancreatitis when I almost DIED. Through vacations and birthdays and holidays. Through summer parties and winter parties and festive teas. DAY IN AND DAY OUT. And THAT ... that is the magic pill. Consistency. NO EXCUSES. Cut the crap... literally.

I would like to put in here that I took NO supplements. No diet pills. My magic shakes or meal replacements. No very low calorie diet. Not a single day of intentional fasting. I don't even take vitamins because I get all of my needed nutrients through food!

I LOVE losing weight. I love it. Sometimes it's hard... it's hard when the scale is not moving as fast as you would like it. It's hard when everyone else is eating something and you want it and have to say no. It's HARD to know your limits. But you HAVE to. You are in charge of YOU and every meal you eat off plan, every "treat" you sneak, every single excuse you make will hurt you on your journey. It WILL. Accountability is key. Make YOU accountable to YOU. You are in charge! That still does not mean that is has to suck! You can make low calorie yummy food that will fill you up and taste just a good as that "other" food.

I now eat 1500-1600 calories a day. I wear a size 18 missis (14-16 plus) when I used to wear a size 32. I wear xl tops when I used to wear 5x. I wear size 8 undies when I used to wear size 13. I walk EVERYWHERE. I RUN up the stairs. I have gone from 377 pounds to 226.8 pounds. And I KNOW that's where a lot start off! And it sounds HUGE and I still am really big. I know that. But I WILL get there. I only have 76.8 pounds to lose to reach my goal of 150 pounds. And I will do it.

I'm not extraordinary. I'm not unusual. I'm not special. I'm one of many on the 100 lb club that ARE DOING THIS. We are losing weight TOGETHER through the wonderful support and love of one another and this great weight loss forum. If I can do this... YOU CAN DO THIS. Do it. Today. Now. NO MORE EXCUSES. Because the only one you are kidding? Is you. And the only one you are hurting? Is you. Start. Today. Now. Join me on this great journey we call life :) Because you are REALLY living when you are doing something to preserve your quality and QUANTITY of life. Whether it takes you a year... or 10 years. You can do this :)

Onederchic
09-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Awesome! Congrats and thanks for sharing :hug:

Enduring Infinity
09-24-2009, 05:45 PM
Wow, amazing journey! Thank you for sharing...and inspiring! :D

ThickAZChick
09-24-2009, 05:52 PM
I love your story! Thank you SO much for sharing your journey with us. It gives me so much inspiration and motivation to read that other's have gone thru what I am going thru.

You are so right, there are no excuses. I remember going up a flight of stairs left my head pounding because I was so out of breath! I know my journey is going to take a bit and I was having a "poor me" day today but you just made me snap out of it!

Keep posting and Thank you!

UrthWurm
09-24-2009, 05:58 PM
Thank you for this.. I couldn't get to the end without crying. It really struck a cord, everything that you were saying. You inspire me. Congratulations-- you're living proof. We control our fate. You took charge of yours, and I'm ready to take charge of mine again. :hug:

DCHound
09-24-2009, 06:18 PM
Two things:

226.8 pounds. And I KNOW that's where a lot start off! And it sounds HUGE and I still am really big

Bullsh*t. No you are not. You aren't to goal yet, but AREN'T BIG ANYMORE. Get it through your head. You're not. You're not! I've seen the pictures woman! Pictures don't lie! And neither do DC Hounds. :)

that is the magic pill. Consistency. NO EXCUSES. Cut the crap

Yup, that's it, right there.

You know, if I hadn't abused my body so horribly by losing over 100 lbs twice before, I might be right there with you. But I'm older than you, and I've dieted before...therefore, it's slower this time. But hey, I ain't worried about it cuz I took CFMama's magic pill, too. Bless her.

newleaf123
09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Wow, congratulations!! You have accomplished quite a feat! I'm very impressed...

Elladorine
09-24-2009, 06:47 PM
It's still so very inspirational for me to see someone starting near my own starting point and being so successful. My process has been much, much slower, but that's because I took a few years "off" when I should have kept going with my losing (the only redeeming point I have for that part of my life is I didn't gain any of it back). But I'm back on track again, losing at a steady pace, and looking to wonderful people like you to remind me that yes, I can do this. :hug:

luvja
09-24-2009, 07:00 PM
You're so cute! You look incredible. :cheer:

Alana in Canada
09-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Thank you!

and this?

(as I am working on a book.)

This is the best news I've heard all day!
Hooray!

Lori Bell
09-24-2009, 08:48 PM
Mama...if I told you once, I've told you a hundred times, YOU ROCK! I loved your story. You are such a great inspiration to me and MANY others! No excuses, no crap, and no failure!!! That's pretty much the secret to weight loss success and you have captured it through and through.

I can't WAIT to see you at the goal line! :hug:

harrismm
09-24-2009, 08:55 PM
Amazing story.What a great gift to your children as well as yourself!

lottie63
09-24-2009, 09:18 PM
Thanks for the story, so inspirational. congrats!

kelly315
09-24-2009, 09:26 PM
oh my gosh! You've changed so much since the last time I saw your update pictures. the difference is just amazing! You must feel wonderful- you look beautiful.

shan84
09-24-2009, 09:53 PM
I love your story. Thank you so much for sharing. You truly are an inspiration. I am roughly where you started from (shy 20lbs or so), and it is a daily struggle to stay motivated for the exercise aspect of it. But I am doing well on my calorie intake and eating healthy. Your so right. We control whether we want to lose weight or not. We control whether we say yes or no to the unhealthy food. No one can make you eat something you don't want to eat. Can you share any of your exercise tips? What did you do when you were 377 to get to your 226?? CONGRATS AGAIN! I'm in awe and so inspired by you!!!!

CharliesAngel78
09-24-2009, 09:57 PM
Thanks so much for your story!

It'll be no time until you hit Onederland!

leona
09-24-2009, 11:10 PM
Wow! You are amazing!!:bravo:

HotWings
09-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Truly awe inspiring! THANK YOU so much for sharing your story. To know that it is possible and that you and others have achieved these amazing goals is the motivation & inspiration we need and crave here. I am with you & have cut the crap, too!

I too have a question regarding exercise - how much did you exercise when you were above 300? And was it always just walking? I am having some issues motivating this big ol' booty regarding that. I seem to be fine watching the calories & food. I am hoping when I get a bit more weight off I will be more motivated to exercise (right now just 1 time a week on the elliptical & whatever walking I get in doing errands, etc).

I can't wait for the book!!! :D

gardenerjoy
09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it and your pictures. And great job on doing what it takes for you!

cherry7211
09-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Just when I think I "cant" do it I get on here and read someones inspiational story and see it IS possible! Thank you so much for your story I want to be as sucessful as you! Wow what an inspiration! :)

cfmama
09-25-2009, 12:45 AM
Aww thanks everyone! You guys are all too kind :) I hope that I motivate and inspire. I want everyone to be as happy as I am right now :)

Excercise: when I was above 300 I walked. As far as I could. As often as I could. Which was NOT very far or very often. Once I got below 300 I started a walking program and I now do 4-6 miles 3 times a week. Plus I run a daycare in my basement so I'm VERY active all day long.

TraceyElaine
09-25-2009, 08:21 AM
That's what I needed today. A nice big (but not as big as she once was) helping of cfmama. You knock my socks off! And soooo excited to hear you are writing a book. much love, congrats!

pintobean
09-25-2009, 08:31 AM
Thank you for sharing. Very Inspiring!
And, congratulations on your 150lb loss!!

Judy Lynn
09-25-2009, 09:19 AM
Awesome!!! Awesome!!! Awesome!!!

I am so proud of you for turning your life around. Major Congrats. I can't wait to see what the next year has in store for you.

Bonnie+J
09-25-2009, 12:04 PM
you are an absolute inspiration. everyone here looks up to you. you have come so far on your journey and i just love reading your posts. i dont post much, but i read almost everything you post cos i just love your attitude!

your story is truely amazing. cannot WAIT to read your book!!!! huge congrats on getting so far and btw, you are not big. one sexy mama right there!

yoyoma
09-25-2009, 12:43 PM
So awesome! Thanks for sharing and congratulations!!!

granclar
09-25-2009, 02:17 PM
wow I'm impressed this is my first try with a forum like this not sure what i'm doing but loved the inspiring story.

Matilda08
09-25-2009, 03:41 PM
your story brought tears to my eyes! Fab job! your looking great

cfmama
09-25-2009, 07:30 PM
thanks everyone :)

Hydra
09-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your story here. I am a bit misty after reading how courageous and brave you have been and all the things you have overcome in your life. You look so good and healthy and I am very proud of what a strong young woman you are.

Idealmuse
09-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Congrats Amazing Job - Keep up the great work healthy girl!

While it's true that yours and my current weight would be high to some people who cares!! Seriously! If you're anything like me living for so long in an obese body 226 must feel GREAT to you. I know while I'd like to lose more weight (and will) I could be fairly happy even at 200lbs if that's all I could do. People who've never been obese have no clue on how hard it can be and what an amazing freedom it is to get rid of the bulk of that burdon! Make you a new person doesn't it?

Rock on cf!

cfmama
09-26-2009, 12:45 PM
muse... you hit it right on the head. I feel fabulous in this body right now!!!! It's SO MUCH BETTER than it was. I will lose more but wow I feel so sexy and self confident right now :)

nineoceansaway
09-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Wow! You look fabulous!!! Congrats!!:cp::cheer2::cheer3:

mateosmama2005
09-29-2009, 03:36 PM
WOW! I love your story! It's very heart touching and it makes me KNOW that I CAN DO IT!! that is INCREDIBLE that you lost 150 in a year!!! Maybe I can reach -60lbs in 4 months huh? You might have seen my post "60lbs in 4 months"...but who knows everyones body is different! Thank you so much for sharing your story and I am very happy for you, you must feel AWESOME!!:)

4mykidsiwill
10-03-2009, 04:16 AM
your story is just what I needed to read tonight...This is only my 3rd day..3 days ago i woke up and said ok...today is the day....I was shooting for 1200 cal a day but have struggled to stay under 1500 and have been beating myself up...thanks for the encouragement! amazing story..you made me realize that it actually CAN happen to me..cause it feels like im just dreaming that i can reach my goal ...thank you

cheerios
10-03-2009, 05:33 AM
I agree with you that only I can change my self and no one else can. I have to be accountable for myself.

srr728
10-09-2009, 06:41 AM
That is awesome! I feel so happy for you. You can tell how good you feel through your writing...the excitement is inspiring.

TIARA
10-09-2009, 07:00 AM
wow its because of people like you i know that losing weight is possible. thanks for sharing your story. You just motivated me to keep going.

ametallichick
09-28-2013, 08:40 PM
I just recently read your story after doing a Google search on how to lose 150 lbs. I weigh 280 give or take. I was a thin child. Like you, always active. I was underweight, if anything. I started to gain weight in my mid 20's. 10+ years ago I went to WW and lost 50 lbs in a year. At that time tho, I only weighed 254 at my highest and got down to 200.4. I look fabulous weighing 200 lbs. But I want to be smaller than that. I started eating crap again and thinking I was hot **** because I had lost the weight. But, slowly I began to gain all the weight back. I hate running in to people I know or going to parties where I know I will see people I know or friends of my husband. I cannot stand to have my picture taken now when I used to love it. I was a ham. My hubby is great and supportive as all get out but he wants me to lose weight. But he also knows how hard it is. I think it is a struggle for us ladies and I think it will be our whole lives. Like an alcoholic or drug addict, it will be something we will be a struggle with on a daily basis.

Mozzy
09-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Congrats!!

MrsKevin
09-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Awesome and inspiring story-- thanks so much for sharing with us. You might have put off sharing such a nice story for one reason or another (such as took a while to type etc) but you accepted NO MORE EXCUSES and put fingers to keyboard-- you are wonderful :hug:

Nina1979
09-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Very inspiring. Thank you and all the best for your book and your continuing weight loss.