Weight Loss News and Current Events - Oh my god, look at this! You won't believe it!

Minya
09-24-2009, 03:56 PM
I can't believe this guy was allowed to open this restaurant!!!! So disgusting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjnh1I5k-jM

happeningf
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
I had some friends that went there, they said it was disgusting! And like no good fresh toppings, just the staples. I know that is beside the point, but I mean it doesn't even sound appetizing to me. I like gourmet burger places with choices of cheeses, toppings, sauces, cool stuff like that. This place is a joke and a death wish!

happeningf
09-24-2009, 04:05 PM
Oh, and the fries were basically at a salad bar type area that you could get unlimited and shovel into your plate!

mandalinn82
09-24-2009, 04:10 PM
I think its really truth in advertising. Plenty of food in regular restaurants has just as much fat/saturated fat/sodium as the items here, but here they're being presented as the health risk they are.

Minya
09-24-2009, 04:14 PM
What I dislike most about this restaurant is the servers. The girls portrayed there...it just bothers me...

luvja
09-24-2009, 04:15 PM
The lard on the burger bun part made me want to vomit! That's horrible!

Shannon in ATL
09-24-2009, 04:17 PM
I saw an article about this place a few months ago in a trade magazine. While I don't approve of it, he is pretty honest in his marketing. With the girls, IMO they know what they are getting into when they apply to work there. He is pretty up front about that as well.

JulieJ08
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
:dizzy: yeah, the waitresses are more nauseating than the food.

kaplods
09-24-2009, 04:20 PM
The weirdest part - if you're over 350 lbs you can eat free.

My husband I saw this on the food channel not long ago. The owner was a registered dietitian I believe who worked in cardiac care. I think it's meant as social satire - a sad comment about the way Americans often eat and take care of their health (and yet a celebration of those foods that many people do love).

My hubby experienced a bit of food-envy as he was a big junk-food junky (he still has to be careful about falling into that trap - because even a big bag of baked chips is still not a single-serving).

I've never been a big fan of greasy food (I was a bulk eater though. I might not have eaten burgers very often, but a salad with too much dressing, cheese, croutons and other fatty-carby toppings that was another story).

My impression of the restaurant is that it's the culinary equivalent of bungee jumping from a bridge and other extreme sports that are dangerous, yet thrilling. The restaurant draws attention to the risks, while making fun of them. As creepy-weird as I found the restaurant, I do think that if ALL restaurants that served too-fatty food were to take this approach, fewer people would eat there regularly - because the risks would be "in your face."

Forcing less healthy food choices to be a more conscious decision, I think would
influence people's choices positivel. I think it's why, McDonald's and other fast food restaurants are fighting tooth and nail against regulation that would require that they post the calorie count of foods on the menu board.

ringmaster
09-24-2009, 04:28 PM
makes me glad I stopped eating red meat years ago, so those type of things aren't tempting.

what's funny about having girls like that working there is none of them probably eat the food there to keep their figures that way.

WormwoodDoll
09-24-2009, 04:59 PM
Someone said a meal can make you gain THREE pounds.

I'd much rather lose those three pounds in 2 weeks, then gain them in one sitting.

Minya
09-24-2009, 05:17 PM
I can agree with that Wormwooddoll O_O

Robot
09-24-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't even know what to say.

It's just sad and disgusting.

Idealmuse
09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
The lard on the burger bun part made me want to vomit! That's horrible!

Yeah I don't get the attraction/point of the lard. Gross.

david
09-24-2009, 05:40 PM
and those waitresses...disgusting!!!

GradPhase
09-24-2009, 07:08 PM
I thought the waitresses were cute. No worse than Hooters, that's for sure.

However- you don't even walk out to your car, you're carted out on a wheel chair. Sure wouldn't want you to burn the 5 calories from the 2,000 calorie meal they just sold you (or gave your for free if you're +350 lbs!). It's awful. It's just awful.

stellarosa27
09-24-2009, 10:02 PM
I thought the waitresses were cute. No worse than Hooters, that's for sure.

Yeah, I mean they sign themselves up for it - seems to be like a little acting role.

But ugh. The menu...just...ugh...

Me23
09-25-2009, 03:47 AM
Fascinating. Free-market economics in its most extreme form.

"We're gonna give you what you want". - Dr. Jon.

This says it all. He doesn't sugar coat the fact that this food will kill you (unlike McDonalds etc). I have to say I'd be upset if this was in the UK and people were going and then getting treated off the NHS but I suppose if they're going to pay for their own healthcare it could be claimed as the ultimate in freedom of choice.
Similar ventures catering to anorexics a possibility? Excuse the pun.

cheerios
09-25-2009, 04:20 AM
wow....if you weigh 350lbs or more you get to eat free everyday sick.........everything lard...lard...lard!!!!

BerkshireGrl
09-25-2009, 08:36 AM
I gotta give him credit for being straight-up about what he's dealing, er, serving ;) And I agree, the waitresses are cute and look like they're having fun. More than I ever had waitressing at normal restaurants for 8 years, heh!

The lard on the burger buns grossed me out though :P

midwife
09-25-2009, 11:56 AM
The satire is fascinating. So interesting that he is a former dietician. It's a condensed example of how what we eat drives our health in so many ways, but with a dark humor about it....it actually reminds me of Dexter....the same kind of dark humor.....I'm not explaining myself very well.

Me23
09-25-2009, 02:04 PM
I'm not explaining myself very well

No, I get where you're coming from. D'you think maybe this is the ultimate expression of his frustration?

midwife
09-25-2009, 02:33 PM
No, I get where you're coming from. D'you think maybe this is the ultimate expression of his frustration?

Yea, I think that's it.

Here we have a restaurant putting it out there, making it so obvious, that this food is bad for people, ratcheting it up with lard and all-you-can-eat fries, calling it all for what it is, and people still come.

I took the kids to see Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and the movie fascinated me. Food raining from the sky. Sounds great, right? But of course the food got bigger and totally out of control and nearly destroyed the town.

In a country with > 50% of adults overweight, where food companies manufacture products that masquerade as food, where fast food restuarants ramp up for bigger & bolder products and do marketing based on "heavy users" (no pun intended, undoubtedly), this restaurant is the ultimate parody. And the joke's on the consumer.

BlessedBe
09-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I literally feel sick to my stomach after watching that... Last time I ever had a whopper, I got sick to my stomach after eating it. I can't imagine what would happen if I ate there. I bet the greasy food smell is horrible to. Hopefully no one with MCS goes there.

Ellie R
09-25-2009, 03:27 PM
its just that the irony of the whole thing is kind of lost because it actually exists.
Would be funny if it was a tv sketch

and oh the lard....gross

Minya
09-28-2009, 06:15 AM
Geez, I wonder what Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper would say to these people if they got the chance to visit O_O

BettyBooty
09-28-2009, 09:17 AM
I love hamburgers, but the thought of even going insie that place made the bile rise up int he back of my throat.

I think it is just a really gross social experiment. How much food can you serve to an overweight person before they become insulted at your preconceived notion of the quantity they must want to eat on a regular basis?

BerkshireGrl
09-28-2009, 08:44 PM
How much food can you serve to an overweight person before they become insulted at your preconceived notion of the quantity they must want to eat on a regular basis?

Hmmm... But he's not dictating that overweight customers eat there, or how much they eat. Also, not all the customers are overweight. I think he is tapping into all kinds of dark things about the human psyche with the unlimited fries, the towering burgers, the sexy waitresses who hang over the customers... It's very primitive really, LOTS OF MEAT and SEXY WOMEN! Wooo! ;)

I think we all have free choice whether or not to patronize a place like that. The one thing I did find creepy was that if you weighed over 350 pounds, you eat free. What is the reasoning behind that, I wonder? To draw the morbidly obese into the place to show others what they may become? To glorify gluttony? That is the part I find repulsive above all else.

souvenirdarling
09-28-2009, 09:28 PM
I think this is HILARIOUS! Everything in moderation folks, which means I'd split a burger with all my buddies. Honest and funny marketing, girls who know what they're in for and probably get paid well for. It's sarcastic! And how disgusting that you get wheeled out after finishing the worst burger, and that people over 350 lbs eat for free! Wow!

I think the gross part isn't the restaurant, it's the people not realising that that THEY're the joke, that we're all shocked that so many overweight obese people are in this video, that they're not ashamed to be caught there!

But I seriously can't blame the late teenaged/twenty year oldd or so guys. Who can blame them?

AR4life
09-28-2009, 10:17 PM
That actually made me feel ill, I wonder why a nutritionist would do something like this? very strange :(

Minya
09-29-2009, 02:07 PM
It's sad to think they're the joke :(

EZMONEY
10-01-2009, 01:53 PM
Geez, I wonder what Jillian Michaels and Bob Harper would say to these people if they got the chance to visit O_O

Oh I imagine they would be throwing their "F" Bombs the entire time.....way-way too much.....nasueating....just like the quad burger.

Personally, I don't see a big issue with it....looks like a fun place....we all make choices in life...it's not up to Dr. Jon to make them for us...

I appreciate the fact he wore plastic gloves when grilling and preparing the food...safety first :)

JulieJ08
10-01-2009, 01:58 PM
OK then, where's the one staffed with male nurses? ;)

better health3
10-01-2009, 02:10 PM
"We are helping you and not hurting you...." Wow. There are not words for this. I bet he is laughing all the way to the bank.

I've always wondered how people could eat those extremely large burgers and not throw up afterwards...compounded with the fries. How do they manage to get up from the chair when they are done?

Morally, ethically, how can he let the morbidly obese eat for free...it just makes me very sad...

Me23
10-02-2009, 04:25 AM
Morally, ethically

That's just it - capitalism isn't moral or ethical. He's doing what overall generates most money (shock factor/publicity etc). Cheap drinks promotion in a binge drinking culture isn't ethical either...or is selling cigarettes...or fad diets...he's just exploiting the economic system he lives under (and, I think, laughing hysterically in frustration).

Mikayla
10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
I think this is HILARIOUS! Everything in moderation folks, which means I'd split a burger with all my buddies. Honest and funny marketing, girls who know what they're in for and probably get paid well for. It's sarcastic! And how disgusting that you get wheeled out after finishing the worst burger, and that people over 350 lbs eat for free! Wow!

I think the gross part isn't the restaurant, it's the people not realising that that THEY're the joke, that we're all shocked that so many overweight obese people are in this video, that they're not ashamed to be caught there!

But I seriously can't blame the late teenaged/twenty year oldd or so guys. Who can blame them?

I agree, you know that guy is laughing all the bank. It's totally your choice whether to eat at this place. One knows walking into that place that the food is bad for their health...still I bet it's yummy.

I ate at mcdonalds in the 80's their fries were cooked in lard as well...They were kinda yummy. I agree it's terible for you and kinda gross and NO ONE SHOULD EAT THAT STUFF. But still it does taste good to some people that i what is most important.

gothik butterfly
10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
heh.

made me sick to my stomach... but giggly at the same time. I think it's brilliantly satirical.

can't help ppl who won't help themselves.. if ya wanna eat mcdonalds everyday... you're gonna. if you wanna eat at the heartattack grill everyday.. you're gonna.

no amount of complaining is going to get someone to change their habits unless they want to. personally, I wouldn't feel right with myself offering such a place to eat but who am i to judge?

kaplods
10-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I think the satire isn't lost on the customer - and in fact reminds them that a daily diet of this stuff WILL kill you, but one meal won't (if all of your others for the rest of the month or two between such meals is healthy).

Even the 350 lb plus eating free - you have to be weighed on a scale in the middle of the restaurant - and be willing to have the staff announced it as loudly and as celebratory as any chain-restaurant like Applebee's or TGIFriday staff when they find out it's your birthday. So, the drawing attention to how fat you are - really is an eyeopener for some folks, I would think.

So, not only do you have to weigh 350 lbs plus, you have to be willing to get on the scale while the whole restaurant full of people watches and hoots and hollers, and alarms go off and your weight is announced to the whole crowd.

As much as I don't mind drawing attention TO myself, and as much as I am fairly blase' about my weight - there's no way I would get on the scale in order to get a free meal (my hubby might have - but there's still a lot less stigma for men to be morbidly obese).

I really do think that if ALL fatty restaurants operated this way, more people would give their food choices a bit more thought. You've got to acknowledge the truth-in-advertising approach.

EZMONEY
10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I mentioned that I don't have :no: a problem with the restaurant, wouldn't mind going in for a burger and fries :yes: if I ever travel there....I'd probably stick to their small burger :hun:

Of course I would have to wear blinders if Angie was with me with all the :love: eye candy :love: in there or else I'll see some :stars: stars ;)

But I got to thinking...what if someone dropped dead in there with an actual :val1: heart attack :val1:?.....

do you think it would slow down the business?....

I'm serious....

momto3kittiess
10-03-2009, 01:11 PM
I really don't think this is any worse than Macdonalds. Macdonalds trys to make it seem like their food is healthy but we have all seen Super Size Me...At least this owner basically says this food is bad for you, and since that is what you like we will give it to you. I think the waitresses are cute, their skirts are REALLY short though...to short for kids!!!

I sure as **** would never eat there though.

Here is another video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9N4Y1DpTxs&feature=related

VermontMom
10-05-2009, 06:47 PM
and those waitresses...disgusting!!!

:rofl: ah....right :D