Old 09-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 202/196/170

Height: 5'6"

Default Online Dating???

I'm so unsure of how to feel about this. I met a guy (don't laugh) online through a game called World of Warcraft. I know, I'm a HUGE nerd, but seriously, I enjoy it sometimes. Anyways, he's Canadian like me, and we've been talking now for almost 3 months. We've progressed to talking on the phone and in fact it went from internet to phone very quickly. The chemistry between us is crazy and mind blowing. Sometimes he'll say something and I'd been thinking it two seconds before.

The problem is, I've always been against meeting people online because I believed that you should be able to meet people in person since we as humans did it for a baggillion years without the internet right?

So then my brother meets this girl online and we meet her and she's absolutely wonderful! She's the nicest girl that I've met that he's dated in a LONG time. So that kinda gives me hope.

Moral of the story is I'm getting extremely attached to this guy who's across the country and we haven't even met yet.

Ooooh, and is it a good idea to even meet? Should I ask myself.. Maybe he's a lunatic? and then again, Maybe he's the love of my life? I don't know what to think. I know I like him and I know he likes me. We've seen pictures of each other and we're both clearly attracted.

BUT AM I CRAZY FOR HAVING MET SOMEONE ONLINE?!!?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks in advance for the support
Loraloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:28 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/tick/150

Height: 5'8"

People have been going on blind dates for years and years, I'm not sure how this is different I'd say go for it. What's there to loose?

Last edited by marbear24; 09-23-2009 at 08:28 AM.
marbear24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 171/ticker/121

Height: 5' 1"

Not crazy one bit! (granted, I use an online dating site to help with my social life). I say go for it. Meet somewhere public, where you feel safe. Drive yourself.

Keep in mind: Even though you get along great on the phone, it might be a little awkward at first. Don't worry about it though, you'll warm up to each other.

One thing though: Make sure at least one person knows where you're going. Whenever I meet someone online, I tell a friend of mine where I am going. I also say that I will call [this friend] by a certain time. That way they know I'm safe. I highly recommend it. (I don't want you to be nervous or scared, but it is smart to be cautious.)
Quiet Ballerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:45 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

I met my husband from an ad I placed in the local newspaper/newspaper's website. We spent a lot of hours talking on the phone and in emails before we met (and we lived in the same town).

I don't see it as less safe than meeting some stranger in a bar. There's a lot of good tips on how to keep safe (I just googled: meeting someone you met on the internet, which is pretty much the same search I used before I met anyone from my ad.

That was about 8 years ago. We'll be married 7 years in November.

No matter how you meet a guy (even on a date set up by a friend, or a guy you meet anywhere, even at church), safety measures are a good precaution.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-23-2009 at 08:47 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I met my squeeze on-line and this Saturday the 26th will be a year that we have been together. GO FOR IT.

1. Meet in a very public place.
2. Make sure you tell someone the name of the person you are meeting, where you are meeting, and give them your cell phone number.
3. DO NOT leave with them in there car to go elsewhere, even if they seem like a normal person.
4. Drive your own car.
5. Make sure they don't follow you home.
6. HAVE THE BEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE!!
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/Ticker/135

I have had good and bad experiences... but I'm not an avid online dater either...sometimes I just get bored... The last one was really really awkward and I left crying haha however I have had good experiences in the past. You can get along with someone soooo well over the phone and internet and in person have nothing to talk about...believe me I know. Also be careful... I ended up meeting a criminal one time...just so happens I looked him up on a website that shows peoples criminal history...he had a full two pages of it and he was only 23. I would definitely say be careful and its easy to start having feelings for someone and it is easy to get hurt. And PS some of the rest of us are nerds too and dont mind playing games
HaleyisLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #7  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I'd say meet now, sooner rather than later. Taking all the sensible precautions, of course.

Reason - even if he's not a grooming, axe-murdering perv (oops, me sounding old and cynical ), though if he is, better know it now - real reason: it's so easy to become intense by email or phone and start imagining all sorts of romantic futures, really running ahead of oneself; it's better to fall for the reality, not the digital personality.

It can work really well: my brother met his partner this way and they are very happy.
(mind you, he met his ex-wife from **** this way too..... )
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 220 (2007) 159 (now)/159/140

Height: 5 feet, 8.5 inches tall

I'm married to a guy I met here in my town, in person...but I've had relationships that started online before. My experiences didn't turn out so well, but my sister's online experiences HAVE been ok.

I met a guy who lived 8 hours away from me, and we talked online and by phone for a good 6 months before meeting. We had crazy chemistry on the computer and on the phone...but in person it was awkward for a while. It's harder to talk to someone face-to-face after only knowing them on a computer screen or the other end of a phone. But if you can get past that, or if it doesn't happen with you, then you're good to go!

That relationship ended because of lack of trust on BOTH of our parts. I was in a small little town with nothing to do, and he was in a big city, out at night in clubs and bars. Didn't end badly, but it ended. If you try it, especially long distance, TRUST will be a big thing...
MindiV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:34 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 262.5/249/135

Height: 5'4

My brother doesn't really date much and is an avid WOW player. I keep trying to get him to try and meet someone online that way, but he thinks it's weird. I say Do it! You guys know you have similar interests... And I can tell you that there are plenty of nice guys who play WOW, who just might be a bit shy in real life, so this might be there only chance to find love.
amkenkent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #10  
Rockin Socks since 1984

S/C/G: 205/179/155

Height: 5'3.5

I'd say do it! I met my last bf through an online dating site and we were together for almost 3 years. The current guy I'm seeing I met through a similar site. I've actually found the guys that I meet online I get along better with because you're both more skeptical about the other person and dig deeper to get to know each other.

As for WOW, my brother has been playing for years and his current g/f (they've been together about a year and a half) and he met on the game about 6 years ago. They met up after talking for only about 2 months just to hang out as friends (my brother was seeing someone at the time) and have been best friends ever since. They're now planning on moving in together, and he says it's all thanks to WOW. Not only did they immediately find a common interest, but they could share it and use it as a means of communication when they were not together. Sure we make fun of them for being dorks, but aren't we all dorks really?
amyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #11  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I did online dating for years- there's nothing wrong with it. Like someone above said, it's like a blind date. Just be careful, everyones given some really good tips.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:16 PM   #12  
I will do this.

Do it!

I met my boyfriend online when he was in England and I, obviously, was in Colorado. Needless to say he moved here and we have been together for 3 years and I adore him.

But do take the advice and do it safely.

Last edited by Taylor86; 09-23-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Taylor86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I met my bf online, not thru a dating site, or a gaming site.. it was a chat program called mirc. I mostly was meeting people for friends since I had just moved, I was meeting both guys and gals, anyways, at a group thing, my current bf came. And we've been dating since - it's been 10 years. Be safe, and don't expect everything to be perfect, face-to-face is hard when you know so much about the person. It's possible to fall in love with someone's soul, but not really like them that much. If that makes sense!

Also - I'm Canadian tooooo.. I love seeing other Canadian's on here!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 228/199/170

Height: 5'8"

Loraloo, you should definetly meet him. Listen to all the tips people on here have said. Even try googling his name.

I have two exes that I met online. One was a great guy, we went out for nearly two years but we realized we wanted different things and went our own ways. The other one was... not so great, we went out for only a few months before I was sick of his nonsense. So you can definetly meet someone great online, just don't be disappointed if it doesn't turn out how you hope.

Oh and WoW... okay, one of my exes played WoW and I did too for a while but our problem was I was okay with spending time together and putting down the computer mouse! He was really addicted and wanted to play all the time... because playing together on the computer is the same as spending time together, right? :/
Just a little warning! Hopefully you guys will be on the same page with the WoW playing if you start a relationship

Good luck!
kimminy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #15  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Our first dates were so awkward, I almost did give up on my hubby. We'd chat for hours on the phone, then get together and he'd say almost nothing - answer all of my questions with one or two word answers, then after the date we'd call each other and chat for hours. It was so funny.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote