Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 AM   #1  
Graceful Loser

Cool How often should I weigh myself?

I go to Curves and they only weigh everyone once a month. I'm sure they have a reason for doing so, but I don't want to wait every thirty days to know how well I've done. I'm a little impatient, sometimes .. maybe.

Anyway, how often should I weigh myself? I don't want to every single day .. is there a specific amount of time I should wait in-between weigh ins?

Also, right now I'm going to Curves three times a week - that is what they recommend for new comers. When should I step it up a notch and go four or even fives times? Any idea??

Thanks in advance! You guys are awesome!
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

It depends on the person... I personally weigh myself every Saturday morning after waking, nude and after doing my morning business and before I eat or drink anything.

That way you don't notice the fluctuations that people who weigh themselves daily experience and get distraught about.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #3  
Graceful Loser

Once a week sounds like a really good idea .. I think I will wait until my first Curves weigh-in, to get a good idea of how that whole shebang works .. then I will weigh myself weekly.
Old 09-23-2009, 06:25 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

There are some people who think if you weigh yourself every day you are sabotaging yourself, in fact I just read that in an article recently, and then there are people who think if you weight every week you're not plotting your fluctuations.

I kind of think all of that is blah blah...it just depends on you. This is your journey. You are the one making the decisions so if you want to weigh yourself on a schedule, like once a week as was suggested, then that is a good idea. Meaning if you are happy and content with the times or amount you weigh, then that is what is important.

My own personal weigh in schedule, I don't have one. I sometimes go through periods where I weigh myself every day and other times I just do a few times a week. Other times I avoid the scale all together lol. It depends on my moods, but I do weigh myself pretty much daily during my TOM, which I do to track my water retention and fluctuations. I like to find out what my body is doing so I can try to make better choices for myself.

When I feel myself getting obsessive, then I ban myself from the scale. I just do what I likes when I likes basically!
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:28 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

We are all different and you will get many "correct", though different answers to this question.

When I was losing - once every morning. Same time, same exact place, same nakedness, same after using the bathroom.

In the beginning it was very motivating seeing that scale plummet. Since I was so large, I could not "tell" I was losing weight by looking at me or even by my clothing. I liked to see that my hard work WAS paying off. And if the scale was not going down in a reasonable amount of time, it would have meant my plan needed tweaking or I needed to work my plan better.

BUT, you must learn to deal with and then move on from those inevitable fluctuations. You absolutely can't let what the scale says determine how your mood or eating will be for the day. Showing a loss is no reason to "celebrate" with food and be a little lax, showing a gain is no reason to throw in the towel and quit because "it's not working anyway". You also must know that weight loss is not an exact science. We don't do this on Monday and necessarily see the results on Tuesday. Another thing - weight loss is not linear. You can do the same exact thing three weeks in a row and get three totally different results. You've got to learn to understand that and not let it drive you batty. Remember you're a mature, responsible adult.

Although I weighed daily, I only "officially" recorded it on Mondays. Kept me even more on my toes over the more difficult weekend.

For me, it just makes sense to weigh daily. It's a reminder that what I put in my mouth (or don't put in my mouth) affects my weight - which IS my health. The scale is a tool and just that. It measures - what we weigh. Not necessarily the fat either. There's lots more going on in a body.

I avoided that scale for close to 15 years. It was a way of avoidance and not dealing with my weight. I will never let that happen again. It's MY body and for me to not know what's going on with it seems ludicrous now.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I weigh daily, but only because I get so excited when I see the scale go down. If I can see a lower weight after stepping on the scale three times I immediately record it on my fitday and my ticker. It's my way of celebrating.

If my weight fluctuates back up, I ignore it. But so far, I've been pretty much 100% on plan, so I don't have to worry about a gain caused by eating too much.

I'm getting way better about being zen about it. If the weight is the same or up slightly, I just say "oh well, think oh exciting it will be when it finally goes down."

If I weren't able to do that, I don't think I would weigh daily.

I admire people who weigh weekly but I'm too impatient for that.

Last edited by ubergirl; 09-23-2009 at 12:53 PM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #7  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I weigh daily, but only because I get so excited when I see the scale go down. If I can see a lower weight after stepping on the scale three times I immediately record it on my fitday and my ticker. It's my way of celebrating.

If my weight fluctuates back up, I ignore it. But so far, I've been pretty much 100% on plan, so I don't have to worry about a gain caused by eating too much.

I'm getting way better about being zen about it. If the weight is the same or up slightly, I just say "oh well, think oh exciting it will be when it finally goes down."

If I weren't able to do that, I don't think I would weigh daily.

I admire people who weigh weekly but I'm too impatient for that.
I co-sign 100% of this post.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #8  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post

I weigh daily; unfortunately it DOES get to me if there's a gain, even though I know that can happen for many reasons. I aspire to being Zen-like about it, just like ubergirl!
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #9  
Want2BeThin

S/C/G: 178.6/163.5/135

Height: 61.5 inches

Default How Often Should You Weigh Yourself?

My husband gets mad because he says that I weigh myself too much. I weigh in at WW every Saturday, but I like to get a feel for how I am doing a few times during the week. It keeps reminding me to stay on the program and to stay focussed.
Want2BeThin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 226/226/140

Height: 5'4

I've tried everything - monthly, weekly, and daily. For me daily, (Monday's are my official weigh-in's though), works the best. It took awhile to not let the daily fluctuations bother me. Now, whenever the scale bumps up a bit I just remind myself that it's normal, and that if I can honestly say that I have been good with my eating and exercise, then I know it's not a fat gain.
So, you have to find what works best for you

Last edited by Narnia99; 09-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Narnia99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #11  

I personalythink te once per week philosophy is best. It's easy to get obsessed with te scale and daily weighings furl the obsession. A couple of bad weigh INS on a daily basis can easiy mentally throw me off track so I use the weekly method.
damondietz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 380/380/198

Height: 6'3

I really don't have a set time or day or anything. I just sort of weigh myself whenever I get around to it.
Nate0201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:39 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I'd recommend weekly weighings to keep your curiosity satisfied without feeling obsessive(vs. weighing daily). I used to weigh daily but switched to weekly for that exact reason.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #14  
Graceful Loser

I definitely don't want to be addicted to a scale. I think a weekly weigh-in, plus my Curves monthly weigh-in will work really well. (: