Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-22-2009, 08:58 PM   #1  

Height: 5'6"

Default C25k and knee issues

Has anyone with serious knee issues done this? My knee surgeons have told me I'll probably never be able to run again, but probably isn't definitely, and I'd love to get back to running.

I've had 2 knee surgeries on one knee and realistically should have surgery on the other. I was born with a birth defect that had extra bands of tissue grow under my kneecaps, which causes them to be very prone to dislocation. I have really good braces that I wear when I work out and they haven't dislocated in almost 2 years. The last major dislocation that required surgery was in 2005, but it was a doozie - my free-floating patella actually severed my saphenous nerve, and part of it had to be removed.

So, has anyone with serious knee issues done C25k? Anyone with sorta bad knees even?

I'm very aware of my knees and can tell when I'm pushing too hard and they're likely to dislocate, but I'm interested in others' experiences!
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Well your doctor would know best and I think it would be criminal if I came out and told you you should be running. I'm obviously not a doctor and cannot make those judgement calls for you.

I will however tell you that my motivation for taking up running doesn't come from looking at fit young people jogging. Everyday I think about people running marathons with prosthetic legs. Everyday I think that people are training for the Special Olympics. Every morning I go down to the track and see 80 year old ladies with osteoperosis propel themselves into jogs. These are the people that inspire me to get past my own issues and just do it.

I don't know your limitations, but you do. And I would say that people break through their limitations every day and it's up to you to find out how to do that in the safest way possible. Good luck and I hope to see an inspirational post from you soon.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #3  

Height: 5'6"

Here's the inspirational post!

I started C25k and although my knee hurts, it's not NEARLY as bad as I thought it was going to be! I'm sticking with week 1 until I no longer have to use the cryo-cuff right after, but it feels SO GOOD to be running again, even if it's only for 60 seconds at a time.

Wannabeskinny, I have read this post every single day since you wrote it. I can't even explain how much your words inspire me to keep pushing. Thank you.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:17 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Chiming in a little late, but I did C25K and have a bum knee.
I first dislocated it over 20 years ago but since then it has popped out at least 5 times. The first time, of course, was the worst as it popped out and had to be popped back in--ahhh, fun times.

I've never had surgery, but back in H.S. I ran exactly one CC race, got injured and was told by the athletic trainer at school that I 'should not continue running because my knee cap could pop out at anytime'--. Granted, he's wasn't a dr, but it was enough to scare me.

Needless to say, I quit running CC at that time.

Fast forward 20+ years, 4 kids and a good 70 lbs later my knee was beyond shot. So once I started exercising back in April I made sure to take it easy on it--no running at all. I did, however, start strength training. I honestly think that made all the difference in the world with my knees. I didn't have any problems with my knees for most of the C25K program. I did start experiencing some pain about 2 weeks into running the full 3 miles, but I bought a brace and wearing that has eliminated nearly all the discomfort.

My knee isn't as bad off as yours sounds--Never had surgery or anything, but perhaps strengthening the muscles of your knee would help to keep things where they're supposed to be? And of course, wearing some sort of brace. Whatever you do, just take it easy and if you find yourself in pain--stop. There's no sense in blowing out your knee again.

Hope you can start running again, it sounds like you're really itchin' to run!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 02:08 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I did C25K with bad knees ok, it was when I started running for longer periods with shorter breaks that my knees started to complain.

I've stopped running now on the advice of several doctors who have said "Walk, walk fast, but walk"

Maybe give it a try and see how you feel. Really pay close attention to your body and if it says no, then stop.

Good luck
sarah in md
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote