General Diet Plans and Questions - Bodybugg/Go Fit users, lets keep on track together 2!

L144S
09-22-2009, 05:37 PM
Ok, we hit 500 on the lst thread, so let post our sucess, troubles and keep track together!

L144S
09-22-2009, 09:01 PM
OK first complaint~I took the summer off frem wearing my BB and now I can't log in! it is asking me my security question and no matter what i put in, I CAN'T GET In!

not happy, I sent an email but I will have to call tomorrow and see what I can do to fix this problem!

med0404
09-22-2009, 09:51 PM
Hi all! I am brand spanking new to 3FC and I found that other thread so helpful that I thought I'd join and start posting. I should have my BB on Friday and I can't wait! I lost a bit of weight (118 pounds), but I gained 40 back. I want that 40 gone by February and no matter what I do (or have been doing for the past 6 months), it seems like I can't shake any of it!! I am hoping the BB will give me the accountability that I need to kick that weight by the time my wedding comes around!

~Megan

L144S
09-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Megan,
:welcome: to 3FC, been here a long time and there is a tone of great info available here.
118 gone is amazing, you should be really proud. the BB will for sure help you see the numbers and the 40 will be gone by February.

L144S
09-23-2009, 03:42 PM
back online and I managed to lose the 5lbs this summer, without my BB, i hope it means I am on the right track and I can tweek it enough to start losing again...how is everyone else doing?

Idealmuse
09-23-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi all! I am brand spanking new to 3FC and I found that other thread so helpful that I thought I'd join and start posting. I should have my BB on Friday and I can't wait! I lost a bit of weight (118 pounds), but I gained 40 back. I want that 40 gone by February and no matter what I do (or have been doing for the past 6 months), it seems like I can't shake any of it!! I am hoping the BB will give me the accountability that I need to kick that weight by the time my wedding comes around!

~Megan

Megan Wow that's so similar to my story. 116 down. Gained 55 back. Lost 40 of that gain so far and want to lose about 40-50 more by Feb (because that's when my Ironman training program begins) BB has been great - It allowed me to get that 40 off fairly quickly (Just under 4 months) so hopefully it will work for you too.

L- Aw man hope they get back to you quickly.

zoochick777
09-23-2009, 04:36 PM
Hi everyone. I just ordered a GWF with digital display a few days ago, it's supposed to be in for Friday! I won't be able to start using it until Monday because i'll be out of town, but I can't wait! I've been wanting one for a long time and after reading the comments on the previous thread I finally decided it was worth the investment.

suzie42
09-24-2009, 11:53 AM
I've enjoyed and have been using mine for a while now. I really slacked off of logging food over the summer, but now have commited to get back on track. Even if I don't log food for a day I like seeing how much exercise I've gotten for the day so I still where it all the time. LOVE IT! It really does motivate you.

~Suzie

:cheer3: :goodluck: everyone! :cheer3:

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/cartoonapple01/lb/212/140/197/.png (http://www.3fatchicks.com/)

luvmy3
09-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been thinking about getting one but right now money is my issue.I'm trying to save so hopefully soon I will invest in one.I'm just going to lurk awhile to get an idea of what it has to offer.

BebeFeid
09-24-2009, 02:08 PM
I am brand new to 3FC too, and this is really the first I have heard of the Body Bugg. Do you have to do the online stuff, or is seeing calories burned, etc. enough? Is it more the accountability factor, or the progress/seeing what you have done that makes this effective for people? I am just curious, it is an intriguing product, but it is rather expensive, especially when I saw the monthly fee, etc. for monitoring.

Gretchenpdx
09-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi all!

Bebe: You don't *have to* enter your stuff online, but get more (and more useful) info if you do. One could just look at the burn data if one wanted to (and some people use other sites to keep track of the food part).

I love my BB but you should also look into GoWearFit as they are less $ for essentially the same thing (I'd get a GW if I were buying such a device now). I find it is seeing the progress, knowing where I stand per day or week/part of the week etc AND the food logging (esp. comparing what I have logged to based on measurements, over time). OTOH it is just a tool like any other, kwim?

There are other ways to measure burn, I like measuring ALL the burning I do, not just real workouts, but some people prefer hrms (just for when they wo).

I have been using BB alone since Feb 09, BB and WW online Nov 08-Jan 09, and WW online Sept 08-Nov 08).

Good luck!

ps
I know I am a lot shorter with a heavier goal so I do not know how much MY experience will help YOU but fwiw I like having all the 411 so I can see where to change things if I stall.

luvmy3
09-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Thanks Gretchen for the info.I have thought about WW.I'm going to look into the online.

Sheena41
09-25-2009, 06:22 PM
I have had mine for 6 weeks now and love it. I did not wear it last week as I hurt my back and was not doing any exercise and did not want to get depressed looking at my totals. I started back with it yesterday.

My only complaint is that it does not count all my steps in the grocery store. I guess because I am pushing the cart and my arm is not swinging back and forth.

Idealmuse
09-25-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi girls - Just thought you'd be interested I ordered the medium sized arm band and it's definately quite a bit smaller. Wish they had an inbetween size. The large one only had an inch or so room play on it and the medium one just about closes on me but leaves the rougher velcro size exposed. If you decide to size down I'd wait until the large one is at the very end for that reason.

Txmommy929
09-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I bought one (GWF) Saturday at Dick's ($119). :carrot: Relatively smoothly I was able to get on, activate my subscription (including the 3 free months), download the software, launch and set up the activity manager and tell the computer what to tell my armband about me. According to the computer it told the armband, the armband was registered and set up, and as soon as it charged I'd be good to go.

But now the computer doesn't like me. :mad: Whenever I go log in (gowearfit.com in case I am being an idiot and missed where I should be going please tell me) I don't get the "launch activity manager" button any more. I get a "You don't own a GWF yet" prompt. If I click get started and tell the computer I bought one elsewhere I just get prompted to buy a subscription (and one subscription will do thank you). :shrug: Fortunately, I actually saved my confirmation number for the subscription, so I emailed customer service last night. I haven't heard back from them yet.

However, since the computer told me the arm band was set up, I have faith and am wearing it hoping it is collecting data. I'l also wearing my Yamax Digiwalker just in case. LOL Lord help me if I try to walk through a metal detector.:o

I'm sure customer service will get back with me tomorrow, :goodvibes just clue me in if I've made some obvious mistake, like not written down a web address like a dork.

As a side note, if you are quite obese, like me, and have large arms, like me, when you do buy or order one, you may want to order the larger armband at the same time. My arms are at the upper limit of what they said the medium would accommodate and it is uncomfortably tight. I can deal, but it's like having a rubber band wrapped around. And I also keep fidgeting with it because of that. I've ordered the larger armband. Just saying in case anyone is on the fence about whether or not to order the larger arm band. If you have obese fatty arms -- I would.

Reading these threads really helped me make a decision. Thank you all.

L144S
09-29-2009, 09:13 AM
TX, welcome to 3FC!
keep calling or they may not get back to you!
You may have to reset/reregister the program, which is what happened to me last week, in which case the info on the armband will be lost but there should be a way to manually upload information for the GFW.

Good luck with the program. the numbers make it easy to follow.

emmymathis
09-29-2009, 11:08 AM
I have had mine for about a week now and feel that the accountability really helps me. For a while I was wondering why I was not losing weight and assumed it was due to my PCOS which makes losing weight more difficult. Well, after about three days of wearing it, I realized I was eating as much as I was burning. So no wonder my weight stayed the same. Seeing the numbers makes me face reality more. If I dont exercise, the numbers stay low. If I do exercise, I see the numbers go up. I found that I can burn approx 950 cals in one hour of eliptical and end up doing about 5 miles. It definately makes me work out harder seeing the numbers go up:)
I have a GWF and am so glad I went with it and not BB. The price is lower and in my opinion the sleep analyzer and the moderate/vigorous exercise identifying option is really cool.
So after wearing it a week, I have lost 6.5 lbs and 2 inches off my waist. I think its worth the $220 I spent...Keeps me honest

LAGal08
09-29-2009, 02:08 PM
I posted a rather lengthy post in the introduction section explaining my frustrating inability to stick to anything long enough to see results. That being said, I just got a bodybugg from my gym and am really excited about it! I have my "Free 45 minute consult and set-up" this Thursday, so I assume they will explain everything I need to know to be successfull then, but I am eager and curious as to how it works exactly? Do you wear it while sleeping? How accurate is the website for calorie counting when entering food? I have used other free sites for calorie counting and I always run into trouble when I'm eating food I either haven't made myself or doesn't have nutrition labels. How exactly do the numbers on the display tell you what you are burning as opposed to what you are consuming?

Thank you! :carrot:

emmymathis
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I have the Gowear Fit which has the sleep analysis feature. The bodybugg does not have that. I have heard some wear their bodybuggs to bed though. As for calorie counting, I find that the gowear fit website is adequate for that however the food list is not very extensive and I have found myself putting in the information for some of the foods I eat. The good thing is that it saves it for future use. I used sparkpeople for my calorie tracking and love the fact that you can search other memebers lists to see if they have added the food you are searching for. I have also known some people to track their food on a separate site and use the bb/gwf site for calculating calories burned.
As for the display, it tells you calories you have burned from midnight to current time, what you burned yesterday, what your daily target is, and how much you have burned on a single "trip"..I use the trip option to see how many calories I burn in a workout. it will tell you how many calories you burn and your average cals per minute. the display also tells you number of steps for the day, yesterday, your target steps a day, and steps in a "trip". It will also tell you how many minutes of "activity" you have done...mine is a gowear fit so it tells you how many minutes of light, moderate, and vigorous activity . I know that the BB does not distinguish between those levels but it does tell you how much activity or exercise you have done.
I hope this helps:) I am sure you will love you BB when you get it :)

L144S
09-29-2009, 05:19 PM
well, if you are getting it free from the gym, you can decide if the freatures of the BB are good for you.I do wear my BB to bed.I also don't care about the moderate /vigorous issue but some do..
the food feature is only as good as your logging. you will have to take time to add your favorites and If i don't have a lable I will make a best guess OR log onto calorie king and get the info and then enter it into my BB site.

Good Luck and again welcome to 3FC

Txmommy929
10-01-2009, 09:36 AM
L -- Thanks for the advice! I did have to finally call and the "guy" said, I was just now looking at your case. Um yeah, just now cause I called. ;) On top of that YOU were perfectly right. For some reason my subscription didn't process, so basically all I had to do was resubscribe. Which I had considered doing but didn't want to get billed twice 3 months from now (You know straightening out that is always a nightmare no matter what anyone claims!) Because the armband had been registered or synched or whatever the right word is it actually preserved that information and uploaded it. So that was nice.

For years I've been saying, "Some nights it feels like I just lay there and hardly sleep at all." It appears that wasn't just a feeling.

The day before yesterday it didn't seem to pick up the stationary bike (recumbent) but I am going to try it a few more times and see what happens. Or move it to my calf like L and JaJa suggest here. Does it overread doing that? It did awesome on my walk yesterday!

Thank you ALL!

L144S
10-01-2009, 10:04 AM
Try it on your calf and try not wearing it and do a manual input and compare to see how the results compare.

Txmommy929
10-01-2009, 10:17 AM
LAG -- I used Spark to log my food. I'd pretty much perfected it. So I have been logging there, then getting the nutritional totals for the day and logging that as one lump item in GWF (I just call the food 09/30 transfer from spark). That way food logging hasn't taken me any longer than it used to outside of about 1 minute.

L144S
10-01-2009, 04:50 PM
I created JAB (just a bite) got the idea from someone here. It is 25 calories and if I have a bite of someting i I use it, bt if i am logging on my ipod I will do a transfer of total at the end of the day too so I don't have to do it again....

WendyR
10-02-2009, 11:47 AM
Thanks to all the info I read in these threads, I decided to go ahead and purchase the GFW today! Another thanks to everanderson for giving me an extra 10% off at the website as Dick's is all sold out. I do have one question and didn't see it asked anywhere (but I could have missed it)...how easy is it to have someone else use this product? Say that I use it for 6 mos and get to my goal and want to let my hubby use it (would have got him one too if it weren't for the price), anyone know if that's possible? I really wanted this product for the accuracy of my calorie burning to see why it is I have plateaued for so long. After awhile I think I'd like someone else to benefit from this product as well.

L144S
10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
not a problem, you just change the information and goals to set it up for another user, you just can't flip back and forth.

WendyR
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Perfect, thanks =)

gofitmama2010
10-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey everybody, I just got my Gowear today.. thanks to the post a few days ago I was lucky enough to find one reduced at Dick's! I'll probably have a lot of questions but for now just wanted to HI!!!:carrot:

gofitmama2010
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
So here it goes, how often do you update your stats? Do you log your food in before you consume or after? How does it know what exercise I am doing eleptical opposed to aerobics, walking, pilates, etc...... Thanks and feel free to offer me any advice i'll take it all :dizzy:

Txmommy929
10-02-2009, 10:05 PM
I had adapted to my armband, or so I thought. I mean, hey it wasn't the most comfortable thing, and I have a small bruise, but it was worth it, LOL. I was actually thinking I shouldn't have "wasted" the money on a large armband that I could suck it up.

But my large armband came yesterday! LIFE CHANGING FOLKS! I hardly notice the thing now. I put it on and forget about it. IT ROCKS!

So, if like me you have um, generous, arms, and the band that comes with GWF fits your technically and your arms are technically in the circumference it says it fits but you find it a wee bit annoying, I'd really consider the $20ish (after shipping) larger armband. Did I say it's LIFE CHANGING? It has completely changed my relationship to the band. I don't think about it any more than I do my wedding ring now.

Someone way back asked about if people say anything/ask what it is, etc. Most of my short sleeves shirts it is just barely visible under. When I wore a tank top the other day nobody asked. But I also had on my universal do not disturb sign (the MP3 headphones).

Txmommy929
10-02-2009, 10:11 PM
GoFitMama -- I log all my food at once at the end of the day. That said, I log maybe twice a day on SparkPeople, depending on my computer access, and then at the end of the day just transfer the lump sum totals to GWF. I've been uploading my arm band twice a day. LOL TOTAL overkill. but the data just AMAZES me. Heck, I just now uploaded it real quick (third time today) to see what a trip to the mall and laundry washing looks like. I'm sure eventually I'll upload it MUCH less often.

As far as I understand it can't tell if you are doing Pilates versus yoga versus laundry. It just can tell that you are exerting yourself and at what level. An activity monitor so to speak. That's actually how I explained the whole thing to my son, I said it tells mmmy if she is moving enough.

gofitmama2010
10-03-2009, 08:24 AM
Good morning TXmommy929,

Thank you for your info... I can see I am going to be an uploading junkie until I get my display! I went to bed around 1 am and just finished uploading my GWF! I have to say it seems pretty accurate, it showed I wasn't sleeping during times I do find myself restless. I am going to enjoy playing with GWG I feel it coming on ... :cool: I am assuming you don't have a display, do you think you will purchase one. one more question where did you purchase your extra armband... :):):)

gofitmama2010
10-03-2009, 11:20 PM
I have a question, where can I purchase more bands?

Gretchenpdx
10-03-2009, 11:27 PM
I know that BB and GWF use the same ones and can be found at 24h fitness's online store and apex (probably through GWF too, I bet).

In Feb 24h was the cheapest, not sure currently.

It is great to have at least 2 so one can be washed while the other is being worn. (Esp after workouts cause: ewwwww)!

gofitmama2010
10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Surprisingly enough you can't purchase them through the GWF website, unless I am missing something I will check the other sites thank you!!!

gofitmama2010
10-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Never mind, I must have been blind GWF site sells accessories... :o:o:o

dangerousfish
10-04-2009, 09:57 AM
Hello everyone!

I ebayed a gowear fit back in August and LOVE it. I have been logging my calories on fitday PC for years (even with their crappy database) and many days their calorie burn matches the gowear fit - but not always! It is a shame the GWF food logging is lacking so many inputs (no minerals/vitamins but calcium, no fat tracking but saturated, no potassium) although I like that it does include sugar grams, unlike fit day. But I don't really count sugar grams that hardcore. My diet is based on good fats and fiber (...and protein). So GWF not tracking anything but sat. fat is annoying for me.

I've been sick the past couple days and I'm at too great of a calorie deficit and I know I'm eating muscle. : ( :( : ( Even yesterday, sitting around most of the day, doing homework (post-bac teaching certification, yay!) and watching Hulu my deficit was over 1000 and thank goodness I have the weekend to veg because during the work week I was deficiting around 1400. The scale doesn't go down as fast but I feel great and have a better body comp at a smaller deficit. ... Rather, the deficit doesn't matter as much if it is only coming from activity and not lack of food. Feed the muscle, burn the fat and all that.

Anyhoo, I love it and I didn't think I would but I actually want the display. Just not enough to pay 70 dollars for it. heheh. Some day.

Also I love inputing my daily smoothie/sludge since it looks like I'm eating 1000 calories in one sitting. Hah!

dangerousfish
10-04-2009, 10:02 AM
I started out with my GWF with like.... 15 inch biceps and I agree that I wish they would give you a choice on the armband because I would have for sure picked a large (you know, assuming I didn't purchase it from ebay). Good news is that in only a couple a weeks it went from biting into me to just hugging me. The bruise I had the first week is gone (yikes!) lol. I first lose weight in my limbs though, so I thought that might happen.

Txmommy929
10-04-2009, 12:32 PM
I'm glad you found it GoFitMama! I'm serious, it's changed my relationship with the band. LOL I don't even think about it being on my arm now. I don't have the display and I don't think I'll get one. It's not a particularly attractive "watch" and I don't tend to wear a watch. And I think if I clipped the display on me I'd be checking it constantly. It's realtively expensive, and by teh time I decide to shell out the money I'll have not had it long enough that it won't make sense. :) I've set my goals at levels I hope to, over time, be able to naturally perform. If that makes sense. In fact, I didn't upload it yesterday and did phenomenal.

Yesterday it did pick up moderate activity (while on my arm) while I was on the stationary bike, too. So, I'll keep seeing what makes the difference.

I've found the whole sleep thing to be fascinating. I can see where I woke up last night during storms. when I sat up to look at the clock. When I got up and went to the couch because my husband was snoring like a freight train....

nellonello
10-04-2009, 01:02 PM
I have the Sensewear and did get the display with it. At first I used it all the time but the novelty wore off and now I rarely put it on. I didn't like the watch as I felt it was cheap looking. Instead I wore it on my bra strap which worked great! I have had my Sensewear for 6 months now and I really think it is one of the best investments that I have made. It sounds like GWF and SW use the same food logs and could use a serious overhaul. Still, I would recommend these products to anyone!

ceebee
10-04-2009, 05:34 PM
I started at 177 and set a goal of 152. part way through, I changed it to goal of 147 which seemed better at my 5'6".
today i weighed in at 142.6, so i am officially THERE.
It took 22 weeks on 1200 cal (which is closer to 1500 when you count all the veggies).

Six weeks ago, I added the body bugg (counts calories you expend each day and gives you a place to log your food). That got me through the last 12 pounds. I love the accountability and the reminder to get up and move in addition to formal exercise.

I think I am ready for maintenance or may decide to see if I can go a few pounds lower.

Adding the body bugg has made a big difference.
It provides an accountability on a daily basis to say "get up and move" and "do you really want to eat that?"
my plan is to burn average of 2200 cal per day and try to keep calories at 1500-1900 and see what happens.

would appreciate any words of wisdom.

Rebound
10-05-2009, 03:48 PM
I was on the old thread but wanted to jump on this one early.

I've been working on losing since June 5th and got my GWF probably a week or so after that. I'm staring 40 pounds gone right in the face right now and I really believe that having the GWF has really helped me! I love it! I wear it all the time and never even notice it.

I do have one question and didn't see it asked anywhere (but I could have missed it)...how easy is it to have someone else use this product? Say that I use it for 6 mos and get to my goal and want to let my hubby use it (would have got him one too if it weren't for the price), anyone know if that's possible? I really wanted this product for the accuracy of my calorie burning to see why it is I have plateaued for so long. After awhile I think I'd like someone else to benefit from this product as well.

I have twice loaned my GWF to active friends for 24 hours. They were curious about it and wanted to see what they were burning during certain workouts. One of them is planning on getting one now.

Since it doesn't use your weight in its algorithm, it's still very accurate. It's just measuring heat expended, essentially, and heat = calories. The only thing that gets LESS accurate is when you "edit off-body time." When you do that it is more accurate the longer you wear it.

But if you just want to let someone use it for a day to show them how much they burn when working, or running, or sleeping, or doing the dishes, it's fine to just let them wear it for a day and you don't have to change anything in your own software. You just won't have data for yourself for that day. (I gave my friends screenshots of their days.)

Did this help?

L144S
10-06-2009, 08:38 AM
Ok so I thought I would answer a few questions that seem to pop up over and over...
this is what I do...

Eliptical/bike: i put the BB on my calf. the reading is lower than the machine and it is off on step count but calorie wise I am ok if it is low. the calorie calculators online are about 4x higher and i would rather not go there, if I believed that I would never be in WL mode.

Sleeping:
I wear my BB to sleep but I move it to my right arm to give my left arm a break and when it needs to be charged I do it over night. my balckberry charger works just fine for charging.

food: I log all of my food, if I am out and using an app (iphone/Blacknerry) I will keep track on the road and move my calories over as 1 lump sum in a made up food, just a bite (JAB)(this was a suggestion i got from someone here about the little nibbles of things we try) which is 25 calories . it won't be accurate in food break down but I am ok with that because it keeps my intake/ouput accurate.

I have been back to wearing my BB since the cooler weather is upon us and happy to be back on track...

I have about 20lbs left to go and was invited by high school friends to join them for alumni weekend...motivation? and my son's bar mitzvah in april...more motivation, then summer and bathing suits around the corner form there...even more motivation...so I am looking long term!

dangerousfish
10-09-2009, 04:37 PM
You guys! I was such an idiot last week. XD My gowear fit kept sliding off, either completely or needed to be hitched up and I was getting really annoyed! Especially since sometimes the shirt I'm wearing is too form fitting and long-sleeved to get it back on without taking my arm out of the sleeve.

It took me FOUR DAYS of this sliding off before it even occurred to me that I needed to tighten the strap! I had been wearing it all the way to the buckle and it (the medium strap) had been really tight when I first put it near the end of August and you can tell I'm not used to thinking anything might need to be SMALLER. I easily pulled it over an inch tighter and it stopped falling off. :carrot: Yay! Non-scale victory! (Or the elastic stretched rather quickly, you know, whatever XD)

Bev
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Ok so I thought I would answer a few questions that seem to pop up over and over...
this is what I do...

Eliptical/bike: i put the BB on my calf. the reading is lower than the machine and it is off on step count but calorie wise I am ok if it is low. the calorie calculators online are about 4x higher and i would rather not go there, if I believed that I would never be in WL mode.

Sleeping:
I wear my BB to sleep but I move it to my right arm to give my left arm a break and when it needs to be charged I do it over night. my balckberry charger works just fine for charging.

food: I log all of my food, if I am out and using an app (iphone/Blacknerry) I will keep track on the road and move my calories over as 1 lump sum in a made up food, just a bite (JAB)(this was a suggestion i got from someone here about the little nibbles of things we try) which is 25 calories . it won't be accurate in food break down but I am ok with that because it keeps my intake/ouput accurate.

I have been back to wearing my BB since the cooler weather is upon us and happy to be back on track...

I have about 20lbs left to go and was invited by high school friends to join them for alumni weekend...motivation? and my son's bar mitzvah in april...more motivation, then summer and bathing suits around the corner form there...even more motivation...so I am looking long term!

thanks for answering some questions that I had. I also have 20 lbs to lose and I am hoping I will have it off by my birthday ( in June)

L144S
10-10-2009, 10:25 AM
I have been on track all week with more than 1000 cal deficite each day (we are doing some manual labor around the house) but had a few salty meals (sushi and some smoke house almonds) so my weight is the same this week so homefully it will go down...I was pleased to go try on jeans yesterday and be down another size...now I have to find them in a "short" on Zappos for free shipping :)

WendyR
10-12-2009, 05:30 PM
I have been using my GoFit for a few days now and I am finding great information from it. The sleep eval was quite interesting but not enough for me to wear it to bed, especially since I have 1000 calorie deficit without measuring while I am sleeping. I just can't believe I burned 230 calories cleaning the house!! I would have never guessed ;) I am very happy with my purchase and if I can continue at the rate I am going, they calculated a target date for my goal weight the day before my birthday in June. That would just rock to turn 40 and hit my goal weight!!!

Rebound
10-13-2009, 10:29 AM
I have been using my GoFit for a few days now and I am finding great information from it. The sleep eval was quite interesting but not enough for me to wear it to bed, especially since I have 1000 calorie deficit without measuring while I am sleeping. I just can't believe I burned 230 calories cleaning the house!! I would have never guessed ;) I am very happy with my purchase and if I can continue at the rate I am going, they calculated a target date for my goal weight the day before my birthday in June. That would just rock to turn 40 and hit my goal weight!!!

Remember that unless you edit your "off body time," it's still assuming you're burning the 1-2 calories a minute that you do when you are being inactive. So it IS still counting something for when you're sleeping. So that 1000 calorie deficit is probably pretty accurate -- but what I'm saying is that it's probably not MORE than that.

My apologies if you already realized that -- I couldn't tell from your wording so I thought I would pipe up :)

Gretchenpdx
10-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Just checking in.

Still losing, but much more slowly now.

Looking for work, it is tough esp as I cannot work overnights/early mornings as dh does that and someone needs to be with dd and take her to school...

Jennifer 3FC
10-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Ok, you've inspired me to pull mine back out of the box. I had problems keeping mine synced up (Gowear) and I just set it aside until I had time to look in to it, and forgot about it!

Does anybody else ever have problems with it not wanting to sync up?

Gretchenpdx
10-17-2009, 11:17 PM
I have BB but cell phones and other wireless signals can interfere (if you mean the Display)...

Sorry if that wasn't very helpful though!

dakotamidnight
10-18-2009, 07:52 AM
I'm currently saving up to get a gowear fit from amazon {with gift certificates} and have two questions:

1. Is it waterproof - i.e. can i wear it while doing pool exercises?

2. Has anyone ever used either the BB or GoWear Fit when using a wheelchair? I use a power chair much of the time due to back issues.

L144S
10-18-2009, 10:58 AM
no neither the BB and GFW are waterproof so don't swim with it!
as for the wheelchair, I am sure it will work. You can enter your swimming when you plug in your device and add swimming durring the "off body time"

ceebee
10-19-2009, 08:40 AM
neither are waterproof.
no swimming.

but it will stand up to a lot of sweat, so I'd call it water resistant as opposed to waterproof.

great tool. don't know how it will work with a wheelchair.

throughout this forum, lots of people speculate about putting it on your thigh for cycling etc.

I'd contact the company to see if they have addressed the wheelchair scenario.

ceebee

Rebound
10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
It will record your calories fine as you are sitting in a power wheel chair. To the BB/GWF it'll be like you're sitting in a car or something. You won't be burning extra calories in a power wheel chair so I would imagine it'll read whatever you baseline is for being stationary -- i.e. watching TV or sitting at a desk.

Jennifer 3FC
10-19-2009, 03:39 PM
Thanks Gretchen, that could be the problem as I'm trying to sync up in a room full of electronics!

augeremt
10-21-2009, 02:05 AM
I just got the GWF this morning and it's amazing! The only issue I've had is I can only log three days of food on the website and it averages to get my average calorie intake. I thought you could keep a daily journal. Bummer. I guess I'll just have to use something else then (which I kind of expected from the posts here and in a previous thread).

Other than that, this is awesome :) :) :)

AbbySinthe
10-21-2009, 08:02 AM
I've had my bodybugg since June and am wondering something. Does anyone notice that they lose MORE when their deficit is no more than 1000 cals per day? I kind of went off plan for about a week with no exercise and was eating pretty crappy :( But since Monday I'm burning 3400 calories per day and only eating about 1700 creating a 1700 calorie deficit. Realistically, I should have lost at least a pound in 3 days, but the scale has only moved -.2 (?) I'm assuming it's because I've increased my workouts & I'm holding onto some water weight from muscle repair. Plus, it's only been 2 days :o

Don't worry, I'm not freaking out. :) I know it takes awhile for my body to catch up to the changes. And I'm eating well, and clearly burning plenty. So I'm going to continue like this for the next week or 2 and see how it goes. But I was just curious to see about anyone else's results. Thanks everyone!

Rebound
10-21-2009, 11:01 AM
I've had my bodybugg since June and am wondering something. Does anyone notice that they lose MORE when their deficit is no more than 1000 cals per day? I kind of went off plan for about a week with no exercise and was eating pretty crappy :( But since Monday I'm burning 3400 calories per day and only eating about 1700 creating a 1700 calorie deficit. Realistically, I should have lost at least a pound in 3 days, but the scale has only moved -.2 (?) I'm assuming it's because I've increased my workouts & I'm holding onto some water weight from muscle repair. Plus, it's only been 2 days :o

Don't worry, I'm not freaking out. :) I know it takes awhile for my body to catch up to the changes. And I'm eating well, and clearly burning plenty. So I'm going to continue like this for the next week or 2 and see how it goes. But I was just curious to see about anyone else's results. Thanks everyone!

I have about 120 days of data -- both my calorie counts and my GWF numbers. If I use them as I have them written I calculate a weight loss of 52 pounds in those 120 days. My actual weight loss over that time was 35 pounds. Now, at first glance maybe that doesn't look so accurate, but if we assume that I (like most people) am not 100% accurate on my calorie counts, it becomes pretty close to reality.

If I assume I am underestimating my calories by 15% (the average of the 10% and the 20% numbers that I often see) it calculates that I've lost 43 pounds.

Assume I'm wrong by 20% -- and I think that due to the way I count calories (I don't count any veggies except starchy veggies, I don't count all the Crystal Light I drink, I am definitely NOT as good about tasting things while I cook as I should be) -- and it calculates a 40 pound loss.

Now I think that already pretty damn close! I think being within 5 pounds is pretty impressive. But we haven't even considered any inaccuracy in the GWF.

If I throw in an additional 5% inaccuracy in the GWF and a 15% calorie underestimation and we're down to 38 pounds lost.

Keep the 5% in the GWF and bump my calorie underestimation up to 20% and we get exactly 35 pounds lost.

I think those numbers are pretty impressively close no matter how you tweak them. And it makes me think that if I want to be REALLY accurate I need to count my veggies! But since it's working for me as it is, I'll just assume a 20% calorie underestimation due to my calorie counting method and keep doing what I'm doing. When I stop losing weight I'll start weighing lettuce!!

AbbySinthe
10-21-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks so much for the detailed response, Rebound. I really appreciate your data and imput. I'll assume I'm underestimating my calorie counts and see what the next few weeks bring. I'm just happy that I keep that calorie burn over 3000 almost every day.

Sheena41
10-21-2009, 04:51 PM
To enter more than 3 days of food on the GoWearFit. Log into your activity manager and click on the resources tab. Then click on preferences and change to daily food logging. It will be the first option.

Idealmuse
10-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm currently saving up to get a gowear fit from amazon {with gift certificates} and have two questions:

1. Is it waterproof - i.e. can i wear it while doing pool exercises?

2. Has anyone ever used either the BB or GoWear Fit when using a wheelchair? I use a power chair much of the time due to back issues.

It's not waterproof, but I've found it's been fairly forgiving. I've jumped in the pool TWICE forgetting I still had it on and both times swam 25yards before realizing and pulling it off. I'd still keep it away from water as much as possible you can add in the swimming when you upload your info for the day. Just a tip though if you store it in a moist environment (I've put it in a baggie or a shoe) sometimes it won't register as "Off Body" while you swim, so keep it dry as you can if you want to enter then info later.

Things are going well for me. -45 since using the bodybugg since late May. I should be slightly farther on, but I've had a few bad weeks here and there but in general still losing well. Only -45 more to go!

FutureFitChick
10-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Wow! Your success is really inspiring.

I have had a GoWearFit for a few weeks now. I haven't been too focused on losing weight, but instead on keeping honest and accountable about what I eat. I tend to go thru phases of "I have no idea why I am gaining weight," when I know on paper my weight = calories in-calories out!

Great job, Idealmuse.

augeremt
10-21-2009, 11:17 PM
To enter more than 3 days of food on the GoWearFit. Log into your activity manager and click on the resources tab. Then click on preferences and change to daily food logging. It will be the first option.

thanks! that totally helped :)

dakotamidnight
10-22-2009, 02:38 AM
just a few more questions while I wait on funds for my gowear fit from amazon.

I do WW - do I need to track calories in addition to points for this to work well, or can I just times the number of points I eat daily by 50 to get an approximate number for calories?

Rebound
10-22-2009, 10:41 AM
just a few more questions while I wait on funds for my gowear fit from amazon.

I do WW - do I need to track calories in addition to points for this to work well, or can I just times the number of points I eat daily by 50 to get an approximate number for calories?

It will work the same no matter how you determine your calories. If you want to be super accurate about your deficit, then you would have to do your exact calories. If you are already doing points and not calories, though, I would probably just multiply by 50 and go with that number.

If you look at my previous post, you'll see that even though I feel that I track my calories accurately, there is still some amount of difference in the calculation of pounds lost to the actual pounds lost.

So if you want to feel like you are "accurate" to every single calorie, you'd need to count calories as well as do WW points. But you'd have the same problem I do as far as "free" veggies. Things that were free on WW I tend to now count even though I'm doing calories now.

If I were you I'd multiply my points by 50, and then by another 10% to 20% and use this number as your "calories in." I don't use the GWF food tracking stuff because I already had a system I liked. I just take the number my GWF gives me for calories OUT, the number from my calorie tracker for my calories IN, and subtract them in an excel spreadsheet. Thats where I got all my data for my other post.

dangerousfish
10-22-2009, 05:18 PM

I feel better and get better scale and pant fit results if I don't go over 1000 deficit. And, if the deficit is mainly from food vs added activity I start to feel icky and scale and pants don't go down as fast. If most of my deficit is from activity and I've taken it enough nutrition (amino acids, fiber, good fats, colorful array of fruits and veggies and enough carbs for my brain and muscles to have glycogen to eat) ad then just boost my burn rate I feel FANTASTIC. This way doesn't cause huge weekly pounds lost but I do feel better and hit an average deficit of 890-1200. The scale shows I've lost 15 pounds but I'm down _almost_ two pant sizes (still too tight to be flattering but they button!)

However, I would never eat more food if I wasn't hungry or feeling drained in some nutrition or brain chemical, just to decrease my deficit.

In the clinical trials the sensewear was off my about 10% compared to O2 consumption tests. Often it underestimated, though. And unless you weigh every morsel of food on an accurate gram scale your food intake numbers are never going to be 100%. I weigh a lot of my food but not everything. I do try and be realistic though (but we all know we tend to underestimate calories and overestimate activity).

Idealmuse
10-22-2009, 07:12 PM
And, if the deficit is mainly from food vs added activity I start to feel icky and scale and pants don't go down as fast.

I had a bad calorie weekend and tried to make up for it with 2 lighter days of calories. My normal Target was 1500 and I did maybe 1200ish. Yesterday when I went to run I had an especially bad run day and I believe it's because of the lower calories mostly. I aim for most of my deficit via exercise as well normally it seems to work out best. I think my BMR rate is about 1700.

I have to say though I have aimed for a 1500 deficit some weeks and I didn't have any issues losing that extra pound, but I was over 200lbs and they say you can lose about 1lb per 100 fairly safely. In general most weeks I keep to the 1000 deficit as I'm trying to lose the bulk of my weight before I start training with a group in Feb for my Ironman.

With WW... Honestly I'd rather use calories to get as accurate as you can. The weight watchers calories can be vastly different depending on how much fiber is in your diet and how much veggies you include, but if you don't care about how close it is then estimaging the 50/per point would work in general. Your just going to have more variation in the predictability of your numbers, but in general you'll be on the right track and still be able to see how your activity impacts your deficit which honestly I think is the most benefical part of the BB/GWF program.

Gretchenpdx
10-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Jennifer: is it working now or did you have to email/call Tech Support?

I *used to* be able to lose with larger deficit but now the weight is coming off much more slowly and some weeks I maintain even with a 500-750 def (but am averaging about 1#/week loss, soon to go down as it is becoming lower, but I used to hit 2# each week with about 1k def until I got lighter/smaller/more fit).

At least I am still losing despite some $ stress and some changes (new job with oddly restrictive eating opportunity etc). Here's to before and ater work mini meals keeping the ol metabolism humming though!

bethanygm
10-24-2009, 05:28 AM
Hey guys!
I just finished reading that giant 500 post bb/gwf thread. My gwf came in the mail today. I was so so excited!!!
As soon as it charged I put it on, and then I went on a walk with it and my husband and dog. :carrot:
I couldn't stop talking about how excited I was! This is the coolest tool I've had yet, for weight loss.
I will probably go make an introduction thread for myself next...
I just finished 6 weeks of p90x and GAINED over 10 lbs. I am going bananas.

I hope that this tool will really help me with my caloric intake. I have a food scale that I plan to use religiously in order to make sure of my intake. That is where I think I mess up a lot. In how I measure my food.

Gretchenpdx
10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
bethany, Glad you like it!

In case anyone wanted to see my Progress Pics here they are (it is a link to my flickr account, I hope it is permissible cause that is where they are).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salmonstreetstudio/sets/72157616354098030/

Losing is still happening, but much more slowly. However I can actually see changes due to weight lifting so that is cool!

ps
I used WW online from Sept 08 to Jan 09.
Added v2 BB in Nov 08
Got v3 BB in Feb 09 and dropped WW online at that time
Still going...

hhichick
10-24-2009, 06:01 PM
Hi Y'all!

Waving wildly! After reading about it here :), I wanted a GoWear Fit so badly, I started calling around. Found *the last one* at a quasi local Dick's and I'm picking it up tomorrow! I can't wait. :)

I'm on WW online but plan on dropping it once I get set up with the GWF.

dangerousfish
10-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I was just at my local Dick's Sporting Goods and it seems they were officially out of GoWear Fits (there was not even a floor model with the other fitness gadget display). They did have a display model of the... display XD but no other stock and though I tried to politely wheedle a discounted price on the floor model of the display the sales lady told me they do not sell display/floor models even on discontinued merchandise (and she wasn't entirely sure the GoWear Fits were discontinued).

dangerousfish
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
I was just at my local Dick's Sporting Goods and it seems they were officially out of GoWear Fits (there was not even a floor model with the other fitness gadget display). They did have a display model of the... display XD but no other stock and though I tried to politely wheedle a discounted price on the floor model of the display the sales lady told me they do not sell display/floor models even on discontinued merchandise (and she wasn't entirely sure the GoWear Fits were discontinued).

hhichick
10-28-2009, 06:15 PM
The Dick's I went to sold me their last Go Wear Fit. It was the display, but they gave me an additional 10% off. Yeah!

I love it so far. I feel like it is overestimating my calories burned, though - that it overestimated my BMR. The only other thing is that the arm band starts to annoy me at times. This is only day 3, so I am hoping I'll get more used to it.

dakotamidnight
10-28-2009, 06:18 PM

So does that mean Amazon is likely to quit carrying it soon?

Trying to decide if I have enough time to buy it with gift cards or if I need to somehow come up with the money for it now.

dangerousfish
10-28-2009, 07:22 PM
So does that mean Amazon is likely to quit carrying it soon?

Trying to decide if I have enough time to buy it with gift cards or if I need to somehow come up with the money for it now.
Nope. Dick's used to carry them in stores and online but the online store doesn't even turn up a hit and most physical stores were clearancing out the arm bands for really nice prices (some physical store may even still have the clearance bands). Amazon and drugstore.com appear to be in no danger of discontinuing their own sales.

I bought my arm band on ebay and am on the lookout for a fabulous deal on the display but am not willing to spend any real amount of money on it, hah.

dangerousfish
10-28-2009, 07:46 PM
The Dick's I went to sold me their last Go Wear Fit. It was the display, but they gave me an additional 10% off. Yeah!

I love it so far. I feel like it is overestimating my calories burned, though - that it overestimated my BMR. The only other thing is that the arm band starts to annoy me at times. This is only day 3, so I am hoping I'll get more used to it.

Man! I want that display display! But it wasn't even on sale let alone the issue of the lady telling me they don't sell floor models.

It clinical trials the sensewear (which I have to assume still runs on the same inner workings of the Bugg and GoWear Fit) tended to underestimate calories burned when compared to the Gold Standard of oxygen consumption tests. That may only be true during vigorous exercise though. The report I read said about 10% under O2 monitoring. Body Media says expect the product to be about 10% off (both +/-) which still makes it at the top of accuracy game when compared to almost anything in its price range.

If someone here also wears one of the more accurate "calories burned" features on a high end Polar or Suunto HRM we could get an approximate, to compare. I know people who use a _good_ HRM with one of the better calorie counters say that the numbers during their workouts are very close to their Bugg/GWF. Of course, I've seen a lot of good HRM with pretty poor calorie trackers. I'm much more trusting of the GWF algorithms than any HRM since that isn't their primary function. Just like I trust the Garmin Forerunner's GPS a lot more than some of the Polar HRM with GPS (but know Polar is better at heart rate than the Forerunner).

Another thing that can affect your BMR is your body composition. The more muscle you add the higher you BMR so sometimes the scale doesn't move much but our body is busy burning fat and building muscle - which changes our numbers and it seems to me that the GWF does pick up on that (I think the heat radiated sensor would probably be influenced by changing body comp, out of all the raw data).

Idealmuse
10-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Gretchenpdx you looks fabulous. I might have to get that hoodie.

I get a lot of my shirts from Etsy too. Usually spending most of my Etsy Proceeds. :)

dangerousfish
10-28-2009, 10:26 PM
bethany, Glad you like it!

In case anyone wanted to see my Progress Pics here they are (it is a link to my flickr account, I hope it is permissible cause that is where they are).

Wow, you look amazing!

bethanygm
10-29-2009, 03:26 AM
Just finishing up Day 5 with my GoWear Fit!! One thing I have discovered is that no matter how long I try to sleep, I tend to only sleep 5:20 - 6:00 hours a night. Is this normal? Anyone else find they only sleep this? I tried to sleep 10 hours last night and still... only slept 6. The night I tried to sleep 7, I slept 5:24. It seems silly to make myself lie down for longer than 7 or 8 hours if I am not going to sleep anyway.

So far I love love love this thing!! Besides the cool information about my sleeping patterns, I also feel this awesome sense of control over my weight loss. Within the first few days of lowering my intake, I dropped like 4 lbs of water weight (even though my time of the month came then, too) and this thing motivates me to take a walk or move more to get a few more calories burned in every night.

One night I ate just to maintenance. I normally would have considered my diet screwed at that point, but since I KNEW I was at maintenance I stopped eating... normally I'd just say "screw it" and probably eat more. Which is why I weigh what I do lol. Now, I just realize that it is OK. I can have days where I eat enough, but I know I am not undoing my hard work from the days prior.

I am weighing everything I eat on a scale, too, so that helps. I feel like I am not lying to myself about portion size, cuz I can't.

Anyway, I love my GWF so far! If I have a deficit of around 650 for the next two days, I should lose 1 lb this week. That makes me happy. If I only lose 1 lb a week, I will be at my goal weight when my husband comes home from his deployment. woo-hoo!

L144S
10-29-2009, 08:08 AM
[quote=Gretchenpdx;2985292]bethany, Glad you like it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/salmonstreetstudio/sets/72157616354098030/

quote]

Gretchen! AWSOME!!!!!

bida
10-30-2009, 12:44 AM
I got my BB a couple of days ago - still pretty excited about it - and have actually been logging my calories - which I usually don't want to do - but it is pretty easy!

also now I realize how many calories I am drinking (from alky!) - argh!!! Guess I will have to work out more on days I drink :)

can't wait to see if I finally lose some weight (since I have gained about 30 easily in the last year or 2)

Is there going to be a forum for this great tool?

LindyZ
10-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Hello all,
I am hoping someone here might be able to shed a little light on why my GWF numbers are different from display to upload to activity manager. My display says I've burned 2363 calories and the upload says 2060. 300 calorie variance is significant. The steps are more slightly off 10392 vs. 10351, but I don't understand why. Has anyone here had that problem? I plan on calling support but I'll have to wait until Monday.
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Lindy

hhichick
10-30-2009, 08:13 PM
My display and activity manager numbers usually don't match - but not by that much.

But, I'm a newbie, too!

L144S
10-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Hello all,
I am hoping someone here might be able to shed a little light on why my GWF numbers are different from display to upload to activity manager. My display says I've burned 2363 calories and the upload says 2060. 300 calorie variance is significant. The steps are more slightly off 10392 vs. 10351, but I don't understand why. Has anyone here had that problem? I plan on calling support but I'll have to wait until Monday.
Thanks,
Lindy

Sometimes I find mine is off by that much if I have had any off body time, maybe keep it off for the night and see if you get a reset in the moring.

Also, I am not sure if gofit has a message board, but BB does at apex.com and you may find the answer to that on the message board there...

Rebound
10-31-2009, 12:40 AM
Hello all,
Thanks,
Lindy

The display uses a different, simpler version of the algorithm that the full program uses. It says SOMEWHERE in their material that the display and the upload values may be different from each other for this reason.

The uploaded version is supposed to be more robust and therefore more accurate.

Lackie
10-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Can anyone just jump in? I finally got my software updated and able to upload. :)

dangerousfish
10-31-2009, 11:48 AM
Can anyone just jump in? I finally got my software updated and able to upload. :)

Yes, jump in! :carrot: Glad your upload is working now!

LindyZ
10-31-2009, 07:17 PM
Thanks everyone for your help; you've been very helpful. I've been learning more and more and I will call support about the variance on Monday. I do have another question for anyone who might be able to help. I cannot find the "edit" function that enables me to enter "off body" time and activity. I've seen instuction that states to edit under calories burned drop down but I don't see anywhere to edit. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?
Thanks!

hhichick
10-31-2009, 07:28 PM
Go to My Calories Burned in the Activity Manger. Click it to expand the section. If you've had off body time, you'll see the edit button just below - and above the graph.

I'm not sure how much "off body time" you have to have for this to show up. it doesn't when I shower. It did today when I had it off for 4 hours.

L144S
10-31-2009, 07:41 PM
30 min.of off body time i think

LindyZ
10-31-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh? I guess I haven't had anymore off body time than it takes to shower. I've always put it back on just as soon as I was out. I have it off right now, so I'll wait about an hour and see if the edit shows up. How odd that it doesn't show if you've not had any significant off body time. You peeps are a God-send. There is no lierature that tells me this info that I can find so were it not for 3FC, I'd be so lost...
With uber graditude -
Lindy

Lackie
11-01-2009, 12:33 PM
Awesome thanks for letting jump in. It says I am on a downward trend however, I don't believe so with the amount of food I am eating. I guess I will see at the end of the week. I need more control over what I eat. :(

hhichick
11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
I LOVE this thing. :) And, it seems to be pretty well calibrated/etc. I've lost the amount of weight that it says I should have lost, so that's a good thing. :)

NJChris
11-07-2009, 10:22 AM
Hi. Just got my gofitwrear and just found this site. So far, I love it. But its not something I'm going to want to wear forever.. my idea was that I'd use it for a couple of weeks, figure out my baseline and patterns, then pass it on to a friend to do the same thing. Has anyone tried this? I know the FAQ says it's for use by one person 'cause the results will be skewed, but I'm thinking of one person at a time, for at least several days each. Would that work?

L144S
11-07-2009, 03:15 PM
N chris :welocome: to 3fc!
yes, I gave mine up for the summer and I am back into wearing it. i do find it a little adicting (had to not wear it this am because I was dressed up and it showed) but it relly has made WL easy because all I have to do is follow my plan and if I don't it is just 1 day AND if i have a cookie, I know it is not the end of the world nor do I have to throw it all away. I will guess like most of us, you will wear it well past the few weeks. so advice is to keep it honest about the food (easy to lie but it is only a lie to yourself) and enjoy it. It really is a cool tool.

hhichick
11-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi NJChris - I'm a new user but already hooked! One thing to keep in mind is that as you lose weight and become more fit, the calories you burn will change - your BMR will change as well as your burn for doing specific activities/exercises.

ceebee
11-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I LOVE this thing. :) And, it seems to be pretty well calibrated/etc. I've lost the amount of weight that it says I should have lost, so that's a good thing. :)

I agree. I love this thing. I finally gives me info on Calories OUT.
it is too easy to think you have burned more than you have, to give yourself a "day off". but with the bugg, i feel much more accountable.
occasionally i cant get in my 2200 cal per day, but with diligence, i have been able to hold that to one day or so a month.

Idealmuse
11-07-2009, 09:11 PM
I agree. I love this thing. I finally gives me info on Calories OUT.
it is too easy to think you have burned more than you have, to give yourself a "day off". but with the bugg, i feel much more accountable.
occasionally i cant get in my 2200 cal per day, but with diligence, i have been able to hold that to one day or so a month.

It's way useful for the calories out. I think too many both over estimate how much they burn, and under estimate how much exercise CAN impact your loss if your doing enough of it.

ceebee
11-07-2009, 09:26 PM
It's way useful for the calories out. I think too many both over estimate how much they burn, and under estimate how much exercise CAN impact your loss if your doing enough of it.

wow
you have done great.
to what do you attribute your success??

Idealmuse
11-07-2009, 09:40 PM
wow
you have done great.
to what do you attribute your success??

Thanks Cee... Just balancing my deficit really. I did the first 60 before I had a bodybugg, but bodybugg makes it a lot easier and less of a guessing game. Also, a big thing for me training for fitness goals (triathlon etc.) has been key in keeping me active daily, which makes it easier to maintain a deficit even on my less then stellar calorie days.

You look like you've done great too! How long have you been past goal?

NJChris
11-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Yesterday I was completely inactive.. I hurt my back somehow and was either sitting still or lying still all day. I still burned 1800 calories. This gives me a great feel for my "baseline" metabolism. I can't wait until my back is better and I can see what a really "active" day looks like.
Getting back to my last question, has anyone either gotten theirs from someone else and used their subscription, or shared with someone else? Can the parameters on the subscription (height weight, goals) be changed? I know I'll use this for awhile, and then will want to use it again periodically, but I'd like to pass it on after a month or so. Has anyone done this?

ceebee
11-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks Cee... Just balancing my deficit really. I did the first 60 before I had a bodybugg, but bodybugg makes it a lot easier and less of a guessing game. Also, a big thing for me training for fitness goals (triathlon etc.) has been key in keeping me active daily, which makes it easier to maintain a deficit even on my less then stellar calorie days.

You look like you've done great too! How long have you been past goal?

I hit my goal of 146 about 8 weeks ago.
Then just stayed with 2200 cal per day burn goal and 1700ish calories for eating.
so 8 weeks later, i am at 138. cant see a reason to change anything as it is quite comfortable.
but wonder what the right weight is??????

dangerousfish
11-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Just checking in. *waves*

For the first time ever I started being annoyed by the armband. I've been wearing it 23.4 hours a day, on average, for a 2 months and I guess it just finally got to me (I wear it on my right arm at night and on my left during the day). So I took it off Saturday and today and I'm ready to start again tonight. :carrot:

dangerousfish
11-08-2009, 08:20 PM
Yesterday I was completely inactive.. I hurt my back somehow and was either sitting still or lying still all day. I still burned 1800 calories. This gives me a great feel for my "baseline" metabolism. I can't wait until my back is better and I can see what a really "active" day looks like.
Getting back to my last question, has anyone either gotten theirs from someone else and used their subscription, or shared with someone else? Can the parameters on the subscription (height weight, goals) be changed? I know I'll use this for awhile, and then will want to use it again periodically, but I'd like to pass it on after a month or so. Has anyone done this?

You can change height/weight/goals by clicking on the profile tab. Although so far I've only ever seen people let someone borrow their GWF to check out their daily burn, without changing the owner's software setting.

L144S
11-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Just checking in. *waves*

For the first time ever I started being annoyed by the armband. I've been wearing it 23.4 hours a day, on average, for a 2 months and I guess it just finally got to me (I wear it on my right arm at night and on my left during the day). So I took it off Saturday and today and I'm ready to start again tonight. :carrot:
I will even move it around my arm, to the side, to the back and twards the front, high and low I don't like it on the inside of my arm, or sometimes I wear it on my calf high up, below the bend behind the knee.

On a side note, I have been having trouble getting my eliptical and BB to give me similar readings so I have been playing with the weigh settings on the eliptcal. I dropped the weight down to 60 and the reading was close...

dangerousfish
11-08-2009, 08:40 PM
I hit my goal of 146 about 8 weeks ago.
Then just stayed with 2200 cal per day burn goal and 1700ish calories for eating.
so 8 weeks later, i am at 138. cant see a reason to change anything as it is quite comfortable.
but wonder what the right weight is??????
The right weight is such a tricky question once you get out of the obviously overweight. If you're healthy and comfortable, I think that is the most important. I know I plan on getting some sort of accurate body fat measurement as I get closer to goal (DEXA scan or water displacement) because ultimately I don't care about the scale number so much as how much of that scale number is fat.

So, we all know height/weight charts aren't a gold standard but it looks like at 5'6" (and without knowing your build or age) you are not considered underweight until 116 pounds (which... seems pretty skinny for anyone over the age of 20)

Ultimately, if you are in a routine that you can follow for life and are healthy and happy... let the weight fall where it will?

ceebee
11-10-2009, 04:31 PM
The right weight is such a tricky question once you get out of the obviously overweight. If you're healthy and comfortable, I think that is the most important. I know I plan on getting some sort of accurate body fat measurement as I get closer to goal (DEXA scan or water displacement) because ultimately I don't care about the scale number so much as how much of that scale number is fat.

So, we all know height/weight charts aren't a gold standard but it looks like at 5'6" (and without knowing your build or age) you are not considered underweight until 116 pounds (which... seems pretty skinny for anyone over the age of 20)

Ultimately, if you are in a routine that you can follow for life and are healthy and happy... let the weight fall where it will?

"let if fall where it will" -- i like that phrase.
dont think there is much danger that i'll go below 116 (though I read that Jennifer Anniston at 5'6" weighs 115).

136 this morning feels pretty good, but just cant see a reason to change what is working. so i guess i'll take your advice ad see where it falls. thanks

hhichick
11-11-2009, 08:14 AM
I LOVE this thing. I am down 6 pounds since I started wearing it 2.5 weeks ago, which is very good for me. One of the things that it has really helped me pin down is that there are some days in my life/job when I am very sedentary - and others when I am very active (without any sort of formal exercise). There is actually fairly big difference - about 1000 calories a day burn. Wearing this gives me a nudge to get some sort of activity in in the evening - I rode the elliptical while watching TBL last night! And lets me know that it's OK to eat a tad more on some days and still maintain my desired calorie deficit - even if I didn't formally "exercise."

JayBird
11-12-2009, 08:47 AM
I have been thinking abut getting a GWF or BodyBugg. Which one would be easier for someone like me who is not savvy about computer things? I need SIMPLE.

L144S
11-12-2009, 09:13 AM
They are made by the same company the software is slightly different. the GFW is cheeper on the start, but the membership is slighly more expencive, I would not be suprised on the next major upgrade if these 2 become one with an itergaration of both software peices.
Check out the websites, chose which has the best features for you becuse they both will plug in and upload the same.

JayBird
11-12-2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks for answering so quickly. In reading here it looks like you can wear the GWF at night but don't have to wear it whereas the BB is not worn at night. Is that right? I am buying one of these today and telling my husband he got me an early Christmas present. :-)

hhichick
11-12-2009, 07:00 PM
I have the GWF and I wear it at night. I worried if it would bother me, but it doesn't. I actually really love this part of it because it's helped me focus on getting a good night's sleep on a regular basis. The goal is 8 hours - and I never actually hit it - but if I get around 7:30 I usually feel great. If I only get 7 hours, I can feel it the next day. (Last night I got 3:20. I can certainly feel it today!)

Anyway, if you don't wear it at night - or every night, you'll have the option of filling in that off body time.

dangerousfish
11-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Awww, dude. I'm so happy. Got an email yesterday from Body Media (as I'm sure you all did) that on Tuesday at 2pm they will be launching updated software. And they're calling it "Body Media FIT 3.0". Uhh, okay. Whatever you want to call it, I just hope the database got an upgrade and this isn't just a facelift.

Did Body Bugg people also get this email or is it just the GWF/sensewear people.

L144S
11-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I did not get one from BB. I hope you get some good updates. Tell us what they are!

I hope BB does some too. Mostly food selection and journaling.

JayBird
11-14-2009, 09:45 PM
I bought my GWF and got that email later that day. At first I thought it was for a new version of the device and was kicking myself for not getting the new one but upon closer reading it looks like it is just a site upgrade.
I can't wait to get this. The funny thing is that just knowing I am getting it has gotten me counting calories again and aware of time spent not moving. I even created an account at an online calorie counting site.

zea mays
11-15-2009, 09:57 AM
Yes! I'm SO excited to see the changes that they are going to make to the software! It looks like a lot of wishes will be granted :D

hhichick
11-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Can anyone log on to the new bodymedia/gwf website yet? I can't. :(

hhichick
11-17-2009, 02:10 PM
It's up now! Yeah!

hhichick
11-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I was prompted to download new software - and now my armband won't sync. :(

dangerousfish
11-17-2009, 05:38 PM
I think it is very interesting that bodymedia seems to have decided to throw the majority of their interests behind the gowear fit vs the body bugg or sensewear. Changing gowearfit.com to bodymedia.com instead of bodymedia.com being the splash page for all three of their product lines.

Aaaaand, hhichick now I'm too scared to download the new software. XD Right now I'm just trying to log food... which is not working out so well (error on page, error on page, blah blah). The download said it was for syncing but maybe food logging doesn't work without it.

dangerousfish
11-17-2009, 05:54 PM
Huh. I never could get gowearfit.com to work in firefox but bodymedia.com (food logging, anyway) now it works in FF but not in IE.

....And MAN, food logging goes sooooo much faster. Thumbs up! Adding custom foods is faster, too! Things are so much faster I'm only slightly miffed they still only allow you to track calcium as the only mineral (still no vitamins or the food label required A, C, or iron).

You can also create custom foods without being forced to add them to your food log right that moment.

I'll poke around more (and eventually download the new sync software) but right now I'm just impressed that it wasn't just some crappy bulky facelift with no actual improvements (been using microsoft and adobe too long -- hahah!)

hhichick
11-17-2009, 06:18 PM
I was able to log dinner at home on the mac (where I've never been able to sync). I did sync this morning - so hopefully it's fixed tomorrow. There error I've been getting makes me think it's on their end - it errors midway through the upload and says it's a database issue.

dangerousfish
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
Well, I tried to upload without the new software, just to see what would happen and I got a database error. I agree they'll probably fix that by tomorrow and it isn't a new software thing.

dangerousfish
11-17-2009, 10:23 PM
Dude. I just stumbled across another body media site. dotfit (.com) which is selling a GWF-clone (silver instead of grey) called the "exerSPY". Right now it is on sale (armband, 1 coaching session, and 12 month commitment) for 99.95 but regularly they want 400 dollars! And the website subscription to "dotFIT Me" is $19.95/month! TWENTY BUCKS A MONTH!

They also sell supplements (meh) and exercise and nutrition coaching/support (looks like the coaching may be included in that 20 bucks)... or, rather, the software comes with the $20 since you can join the service without an exerSPY. Guess dotfit is like ediets but with the option of a body media armband.

I just can't get over the price difference.

exituspt
11-19-2009, 05:28 PM
Hi guys,
been following this thread as well as the previous one for quite awhile now as a lurker but after bodymedia`s recent software update i decided to post because i was wondering if after last tuesday`s update any of the GWF users noticed a lower calorie burn in comparison with their usual calorie burn in similar days/previous week? I`m just asking because i actually got differences in the 200 to 300 calorie range and found that they were weird considering that my weeks are usually quite identical when it comes to calorie consumptions given that my daily and weekly routines don`t change much.

thanks in advance

dangerousfish
11-20-2009, 09:58 PM
That's an interesting observation! I only used the new desktop sync once because I can't figure out why I would let that junk run in the background for the one time of evening I upload my data. The burn was a little lower but my evening walk was also cut short so I didn't think anything of it. Because the software just reads the raw data calculated by the firmware in the devices I'm not sure why either the new desktop software or the new site would cause a change in data. Unless we downloaded a firmware update with the software (which I don't remember) or... the desktop software has some code to reduce the total burn by X.

I would look at days you have the same routine and see if uploading via the website vs the desktop have any differences. Unless you are seeing changes on the new site regardless of how you upload. For me, I can't say I've noticed any difference with the new site.

hhichick
11-20-2009, 10:51 PM
I'm confused. There is more than one way to upload your armband data? I always just use the sync armband button.

I did update the software after the website update, but I still upload the same way that I did even before the update.

dangerousfish
11-21-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm confused. There is more than one way to upload your armband data? I always just use the sync armband button.

I did update the software after the website update, but I still upload the same way that I did even before the update.

The new software we were prompted to download has nothing to do with the actual site (as far as I can tell), it is a desktop app for uploading your data. "BodyMedia Sync" runs in the background (you can see it in your systray, using around 8,356K of memory) and when you plug in your armband it opens with "armband connected. Syncing data, please wait" and then "armband syncing completed. Would you like to view your data?" if you click "yes" it opens bodymedia.com in your default browser. It also tells you exactly how much battery you have left instead of the browser sync that just has an approximate graphic.

So three ways to upload:
1)via bodymedia.com usb
2)via bodymedia.com wireless
3)bodymedia Sync desktop app (maybe it doesn't work on your mac?)

hhichick
11-21-2009, 03:39 PM
Now I'm even more confused. I upload on the PC at work (because I couldn't get it to work on the Mac at home) and have NEVER had the desktop app ask open and syn. I've even plugged in the armband before opening bodymedia because I'd read it was supposed to do that - nothing happens. I figured they were still getting the bugs worked out. :) I did download (and thought I installed) the new software after the update. It never prompts me to do anything else now.

So, I always upload via bodymedia.cm via USB, the same way I have since day 1.

I wrote to support asking about the wireless upload and was told it wasn't available yet. Do some of y'all have it?

dangerousfish
11-21-2009, 04:20 PM
hh, to see if you have "BodyMedia Sync" check your programs under the start menu, it should be in a folder called "BodyMedia". If it isn't there you probably didn't download it.

For the wireless, I don't have it but I remember it being confirmed in the old thread that the body bugg wireless uploader works on the GWF.

hhichick
11-21-2009, 04:26 PM
I'll be in the office tomorrow so I'll check then.

I'd love to be able to upload wirelessly - I figured that there had to be hardware out there for it, because the software is there. I guess they are going to rebrand it for the new site? It explains why the GWF were clearanced out at Dick's - I suspect they are repackaging it all as Bodymedia.

JayBird
11-22-2009, 12:48 PM
I am charging my GWF right now and looking forward to using it. Does anyone know if my heart rate monitor will interfere with the GWF? I like using a heart rate monitor when I exercise.

dangerousfish
11-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Too many signals flying can't interfere with each other but I know several users that also use HRM and/or Garmin Forerunners and it seems to work out. I think the biggest issue is syncing wireless items like body media armbands with their displays and HRM watches and chest straps. If you don't have the display to the GWF and just need your chest strap and HRM to sync you may need to take-off the GWF and put on your chest strap and HRM, first and then put the GWF back on. Or it may not be an issue, you'll just have to experiment. ^^
Welcome to the group!

Gretchenpdx
11-24-2009, 12:41 AM
I use BB but wanted to mention that the Wireless Communicator works great (mine came with my old gray v2BB and works fine with my v3 -which is like the GWF).

beerab
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
I have a question about the GWF- I know it has a calorie tracker, but do I have to input all my food like I do on sparkpeople? Or can I just at the end of the day put in my numbers like 1500 calories, 150 grams carbs, etc?

Oh and do you have to wear it around your upper arm or can you wear it around your wrist?

Thanks! Considering getting it as an xmas gift.

CJZee
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
I have a question about the GWF- I know it has a calorie tracker, but do I have to input all my food like I do on sparkpeople? Or can I just at the end of the day put in my numbers like 1500 calories, 150 grams carbs, etc?

Oh and do you have to wear it around your upper arm or can you wear it around your wrist?

Hi beerab -- you can input your calories (they call it a calorie estimate) but I don't know if you can input the micronutrients directly. I track my calories elsewhere so I have been putting in the calorie estimate on the new BodyMedia.

I don't think it would work if you wore it around your wrist, you mostly wear it on your upper arm, although I know some people strap it to their thigh if they're doing lower-body exercises like cycling.

I have a question too -- I would like to change a PAST weight that I put in incorrectly, but cannot figure out how to modify a past weight. Any thoughts? Thanks! CJ

beerab
11-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Thanks for responding quickly!! I thought it was upper arm only but I swear I saw someone wear it on their wrist in a photo and was like oh can you do that? Maybe it was an actual watch ;)

augeremt
11-24-2009, 06:09 PM
CJZee - Where on the thigh? Towards the back, midway? I've been doing a lot of biking lately and I swear it's been badly underestimating. Do you know if it's more accurate on the thigh?

hhichick
11-24-2009, 10:19 PM
The display unit is on the wrist. Maybe that's what you saw? It looks like a watch.

I'll have to try wearing it on the thigh - I've also found that it underestimates a LOT when I am riding the exerbike.

To change an old weight, go to that specific day (click the "specific day" tab at the top and a calendar will open). You should see an option to edit your weight or waist measurement for that day.

I LOVE this thing. :)

hhichick
11-26-2009, 07:05 PM
As an update, I am down 11 pounds in the month I've been wearing this. That's a smidge more than the numbers say I should have lost (I've averaged a 900 calorie a day deficit) but pretty close. I'll take it. (Especially since it went in my favor! ;))

dangerousfish
11-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Happy day after Thanksgiving to all my Body Media peeps. Hope you had a wonderful holiday (or, if you don't celebrate American Thanksgiving, had a wonderful day, regardless). And an Eid/Bajram Mubarak to any muslim peeps in the thread.

dangerousfish
11-27-2009, 12:06 PM
Gratz on your weight loss, hh!

dangerousfish
11-27-2009, 12:13 PM
Regarding the spinning/biking thing. I thought people were having better luck with the armband around the calf, not the thigh. Placing it on the outside of the calf, is what I remember. Regardless, the whole thing is probably trial and error for what works best for each person.

zea mays
11-27-2009, 12:25 PM

Thanks! Considering getting it as an xmas gift.

Yes, I do this. I just input each whole days info (that I track in my LoseIt! App) as one custom food. I just name the food the date and input all the total information. Then I skip the rest of the meals. Now, though, with the new version of the software you can just input you total calories as a daily estimate, which I LOVE!

hhichick
11-27-2009, 02:13 PM
Regarding the spinning/biking thing. I thought people were having better luck with the armband around the calf, not the thigh. Placing it on the outside of the calf, is what I remember. Regardless, the whole thing is probably trial and error for what works best for each person.

TY!

I tried it around my calf the other day on the exerbike. (Uh, my thigh is way bigger than my bicep and I didn't want to stretch out the armband.) I just had a few minutes, but it seemed to work much better for me than around my arm. I'll test it out more this coming week.

My family owns an online retail store so this is the crazy time of the year for us. Not a lot of time for formal excercise, but one thing I LOVE about this is that it lets me know when I need to eat MORE because of working long hours. (It's telling me I need to sleep more, too - uh, working on that one as well. Eating is easier. LOL!)

augeremt
11-27-2009, 06:21 PM
I'll try the calf and see how it goes. My thigh is also much bigger than my bicep, so the calf would be a lot easier logistically.

Happy belated Turkey Day to everyone!

vegandelite
11-28-2009, 05:57 AM
Thank you everyone for sharing all your experiences on this forum. It's been sooo great reading through it all, and it has truly inspired me to jump on board. My GWF will arrive in 2 days... wahoo!!! I cannot wait to share my experiences with you all :)

dangerousfish
11-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Can't wait to hear about your experiences, as well!

MaiFly
11-29-2009, 05:28 PM
I haven't used my Sensewear WMS for a few months-mostly because I always had problems uploading my info into the old web portal because there was always a communication error. I have paid for a year subscription for this thing and I want to use it again.

I bought mine through myminifly.com back in April and got a login and password but this new website wants my email address which doesn't work. Now what? I didn't get an email and there is no help on the website. I guess I can call support tomorrow.

Thanks for any help you can give.

julesp313
11-29-2009, 08:48 PM
I have been reading this thread and the previous one, and that encouraged me to purchase a GoWear Fit this past week. I've been using it since Wednesday and I really like it. Simply seeing that I haven't hit my calorie burn, or that my deficit is much lower than I would like, makes me want to take action and I think that's what I've been missing. I've been stuck at the same weight, give or take 3-4lbs, for as long as I can remember and I've had enough! I think this is a tool that will help me as I'm very analytical and I like to see numbers (I'm an accountant - go figure!). I believe with calorie counting, portion control and honesty (writing it all down!), I can get my weight heading in the right direction.

Does anyone know the reason behind using the armband on the left arm? My only thought is that if you're right-handed, your left arm is less active and you'll get a more accurate reading. But I'm avoiding wearing it overnight right now as I feel like I want to give my arm a break. If I could wear it on the right arm overnight, that might work...

julesp313
11-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Another thought that I had while at the gym (trying to make that a habit again)... how accurate is the GWF on the Stairmill? I sync'd the armband when I got home from the gym and it seemed to record higher on the treadmill and elliptical than on the stairmill, but I know I worked the hardest on the stairmill - at least I think I did, judging by the sweat and heavy breathing!

L144S
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Another thought that I had while at the gym (trying to make that a habit again)... how accurate is the GWF on the Stairmill? I sync'd the armband when I got home from the gym and it seemed to record higher on the treadmill and elliptical than on the stairmill, but I know I worked the hardest on the stairmill - at least I think I did, judging by the sweat and heavy breathing!

observations for me
1 is that the machines overcalculate by a lot! they don't have the information that your GW/bb have and i find it can me more than 2x the amt on the machince vs my upload.

2 for the gym i usually wear the band on my calf, just below the bend in my knee on the back of my leg. especially for the eliptical, (I have a precore with incline adjustment no arms) and mostlikely this is best for the stair mill too and certainly for all biking it may NOT be true for the elipticals that have the arm and resistance but no incline (lifestep?)

try it next time and compare to todays upload...

LookingForMeAgain
11-30-2009, 05:07 PM
OKay so I jumped in today and bought the BodyBugg and the display! My mom is giving me $250 for Christmas so Im using for this.
I got both for $270.

I also bought myself a pair of Sketchers Shape Up Shoes to walk in.

I have started excercing again so Im excited to see if it gives me that lil extra push that I need. Im a math geek I love numbers so I think this will work great for me.

How does it determine what your deficiet needs to be? I know like at TDP you can see what you need to eat to maintain/lose ect is that # going to be the same or will it vary according to my actual activity?

Example at TDP if I am light activity I can eat say 2200 to maintain so to lose 2 pounds I need to either eat 1000 calories less than that or a combo of less calories and excercie to = 1000 per day.
Since it goes by lightly active since thats what I picked I am wondering if the BB will vary since it knows what your really doing.
Does that make sense? :o

L144S
11-30-2009, 06:58 PM
Looking for me, the BB will determing your coloric intake based on the program YOU set up, you put in all your info, it will ask you a ton of questions and you go from there. i will say it did take a few weeks and i did reset my program a few times until I got it to work for me.
Lucky you a great Christmas gift! enjoy!

augeremt
12-01-2009, 01:45 AM
L144S - How do you reset the data? Can you delete all past data from the Activity Manager?

I've been using it sparingly the last 2 weeks and would like to start over so I can start keeping tabs from scratch.

L144S
12-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Augerment I don't understand the question. I have a BB so I don't reset data, I can reset on the display for an activity. I upload the data to the website and it clears it off my bugg.

You can also go into your program (my info) and create a new program.

LadyMar
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
Hello, first time poster (and dieter) here. I just finished reading every single post in this thread, but I am still confused as to what the differences are between GWF and the bugg. I was considering buying a bugg from costco because they are $179 and include a year subs instead of (3-6 months), plus costco has a really nice return policy should anything happen to it. But people on this board seem to prefer the GWF. From what I read there is some "sleep analysis" thing that GWF has, even though the bugg can be used during sleep too, so not sure what the difference is. I also wonder whether the resale value of the bugg will be better than GWF because of the Biggest Loser and 24 hour promotions.

Also, how much more cheaper can the GWF get? My Dicks doesnt have it and amazon and drugstore.com have it for $179 also, but with less subscription time. What is a good price for this?

Also, does the display model of GWF work with the bugg, in case I find a deal on one of those. Thanks.

L144S
12-01-2009, 03:40 PM
This is what I understand
BB is affiliated with 24 hour fitness and was designed by them. GWF is not and therefore has different features. and I also understand that they will not be combined anytime soon

I have only worn the BB and frankly it does what I need. i don't have sleep issues and the difference between moderate and active activity does not mean a lot to me, BUT I also don't know what I am missing.

As for the Costco price...it is a good one and I would think snapping it up at that price might be just what you want. it does not come with the display which is an additional price. I have no looked on EBay but maybe there is one there. I think the GWF has been more popular because of the initial price but I think the monthly fee is more and ultimately may buy it because they think they will only use it for the time frame. not true for me, I renewed for a full year. commitment to myself and cheaper than any of the group WL programs. in the end I think they all come out to the same price within about $10.

I will say I am a slow loser, about 25 lbs in the year, but I love the BB, I love that I have numbers to see how I am doing and what I am doing right and frankly on the days I am off, I can see how off I am.

So whichever you chose, you will get use to it and work it to help you.

augeremt
12-01-2009, 04:31 PM
L144S - I was hoping to wipe everything from the Activity Manager (I have a GWF, so I don't know if they call it the same for the BB, but it's the software that shows how many calories I've burned, etc) so that there would be no history and I could start anew. I thought that's what you were talking about. But I guess it's not possible. I emailed Support to see if they could do that for me. We'll see what they say.

julesp313
12-01-2009, 04:49 PM
L144S - thanks for the suggestion. I'm not too concerned about matching the readings on the gym machines as I've read so many times they aren't accurate. But I have to wonder when my GWF says I burned more cals on the treadmill (flat, 4mph walking) than on the stairmill (sweating my butt off, very heavy breathing, def. working a LOT harder) - you know? I'll try the calf thing next time I'm in there and see if that changes things. On the elliptical, even though I avoid the ones with arms, I do use my arms as I would if I were walking or running, rather than resting them on the handles - possibly that's what the GWF is figuring in? On the stairmill, I rest my hands on the handles, because I seem to lose all coordination and balance on that machine! Probably because it's kicking my butt!

LadyMar - I thought the BB was still the big one that The Biggest Loser had a season or two ago and I wanted the smaller profile of the GWF. But - I just saw someone at the gym this morning with the new one and it's identical to the GWF. I don't know what the BB is per month, but the GWF is $6.95 if you buy a year's subscription. I got my GWF on Amazon for $179 with three months free. I think Bodymedia currently has it on their own website for $159 if you buy the year's subscription, and I think that is also three months free - with the holidays here, I reckon there will be bargains to be had all over the Internet!

On a general note, today is the end of my first week with the GWF and I have to say I am really enjoying it. It's definitely an appealing tool for me - someone who likes to see things in black and white. And a couple of times - namely Thanksgiving - I uploaded my data and realized my deficit was smaller than I wanted, so I hauled my lazy butt off the sofa and out for a walk. That's a great motivator for me! I'm also finding that I'm tracking my food as I go, which I think is key for me - I used to add it to Sparkpeople at the end of the day, but not consistenly. With this, if I don't add food, I "cheat" myself out of the data. Weird but hey - whatever works, right? :)

L144S
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
Jules,
you have to see what works best for you and and where you need to wear your BB/GW. you will work it out and I agree, it is funny wht burns more. i feel like I work harder on the eliptical BUT somtimes I find I worked harder on my daily walk. on a side note I was in NC for TG and walked a TON, but my 5 mile walk here takes me about 1.5 hours, I did 7 in the same amt of time down there...if you are doing the TM first you might be working harder than you think and as you near the end of your WO on another machine, you many not be working as hard as you think.

Augerment,
Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about BUT you could chech out the GWF message board if they have one (BB does) or try resetting your program and see if that helps to clear out the data.

vegandelite
12-01-2009, 05:17 PM
It finally arrived! 2 days late.. but oh well, that's ok - I get my postage $ back now :)

Am just waiting for it to charge up, then going to get going

L144S
12-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Veg!
YEAH!!! enjoy!

ceebee
12-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I dont know what the differences are between the different units, but from what i see it appears that gwf and bb are very similar.
i got my bb at beginning of august and have lost 20ish pounds since with its wonderful accountability and support. i just renewed for a year at about
$80.
i dont think it matters what model.

what matters is the commitment to the accountability.
entering estimates of what you eat-=---
uploading what you burn----

and seeing what works for you.

i truly find my bodybugg to be what has previously been missing in my weight losss/maintenance routine -- love it!!!!!

vegandelite
12-02-2009, 09:17 PM
Hello All,

So far I've used my GWF for all of 28 hours :) and I have to say I'm loving it!

It is truely amazing to see how much you need to do to increase your calorie output.. I'm also really amazed to realise how much my walks to and from work count (i.e. they're better than I thought they were).

In the past I felt that I had to kill myself at the gym to get anywhere.. Now I realise if I just include lots of walking through the day, it's roughly going to end up the same. Horray! :carrot: It's sooo good knowing what's going on with my body.

I used to count my calories on calorieking.com.au but I have started to use the gwf website. I just have needed to add in a number of my regular foods (which are Australian ones.. which is why they weren't there already).

I LOVE the graphs. It's great to be able to see that the jumping up and down for 3 minutes at the beginning of one hour really actually does something.. (it was an experiment) and I have found myself in the last 28 hours becoming more active, and trying to find more ways to walk etc rather than drive places.

Hope everyone is doing well! I will login again soon to give another update!

by the way.. I completely agree with Ceebee. From what I can tell, there's not many significant differences with GWF and BB. I bought GWF simply because it was possible to have it shipped to Australia (with some difficulties) whereas it wasn't with BB (at least not as easily).. I think as long as you actually make use of your gadget of choice, you will see results!

I look forward to logging my results next Wednesday. I am going to try do so every Wednesday to give some accountability and also to help people looking around to review it :)

julesp313
12-03-2009, 12:23 AM
Today is the start of my second week with this wee gadget. According to the scale - and believe me, I know some of this is water weight but hopefully just a smidge is actual weight loss! - I'm down 5lbs. I know I haven't had a 17,500 calorie deficit in a week, which is what I'd need for 5lbs lost, but I still am very happy with that - it's a jump start, and if I can get a pound or so off per week, on average, going forward, I'll be thrilled.

Today was tough as I was traveling for work - missed the gym (actually DID miss it, maybe it's becoming a habit!), food catered in, not much chance to get any steps in. But even with those challenges, I was in a deficit (barely!) and I got nearly 8,000 steps in, which blew me away - I guess i walk more in airports than I thought! Back on track tomorrow, though - I want to see that 750 calorie deficit back on my summary page!

mara11jade
12-03-2009, 12:57 AM
I have the GWF - I really love being able to see how much I'm sleeping too!

I tend to push myself too hard so this is helping - but also helping me really figure out the calories in/calories out. I stress out less about if I got a one HUGE workout in because I can check out where I am overall for the day with the GWF.

See where I am at the end of Dec :)

vegandelite
12-03-2009, 03:54 AM
Hello all,

I know one or two people have mentioned that they noticed a difference between what is displayed on their watch/display and what value they get when they sync data (this is in terms of calories).. Have you noticed that following the display monitor is accurate enough?

I've had a difference of 145 calories over the last day, which can be quite significant. Please can anyone let me know if they've found this difference has affected their weight loss.

Cheers!

babes315
12-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Hello all,

I know one or two people have mentioned that they noticed a difference between what is displayed on their watch/display and what value they get when they sync data (this is in terms of calories).. Have you noticed that following the display monitor is accurate enough?

I've had a difference of 145 calories over the last day, which can be quite significant. Please can anyone let me know if they've found this difference has affected their weight loss.

Cheers!

Keep watching the disparities, and if they continue to be way off, call the company on Monday. I have noticed mine may be off up to 20 calories, but the original GWF that I had way way off, something like 200-250 calories a day, so I called them and they instructed me to return the one I had and they send me a new one.

dangerousfish
12-04-2009, 09:56 PM
As far as I knew the displays use a simplistic algorithm compared to the actual unit and do show a different number than your upload.

What we were talking about earlier was wondering if the calorie counts seemed to be low after the software update for the GWF.

But babes seems to have already communicated to body media about this very same issue so it maybe I am the mistaken!

dangerousfish
12-04-2009, 09:57 PM
As far as I knew the displays use a simplistic algorithm compared to the actual unit and do show a different number than your upload.

What we were talking about earlier was wondering if the calorie counts seemed to be low after the software update for the GWF.

But babes seems to have already communicated to body media about this very same issue so it maybe I am the mistaken!

babes315
12-05-2009, 12:37 AM
I have actually noticed that my calorie counts when I upload have been lower since the software update. When I looked at the details, it looks like when I am sleeping, it says I am only burning 0.8 - 1 calorie a minute, whereas before it was often 1.3. Interestingly enough, it looks like the number of calories I burn when I work out on the elliptical didn't change though. Has anyone called them about this?

I just want to clarify, I think these are 2 different issues being discussed...Vegandelite might have an armband that isn't working correctly and I think they changed how they calculate how many calories you burn.

LookingForMeAgain
12-05-2009, 05:11 PM
So I got my BB yesterday and my display. I really dont like the display. It keeps saying not in sync then syncs and in a few minutes will re-sync. The watch is really ugly and clunky. Its not at all comfortable and looks silly. I like the idea of having the display but I dont like the actual display. I realize I could wear it without the watch part but I KNOW Id lose it.

L144S
12-05-2009, 05:27 PM
I wear the display on my bra with the clip, some wear it attached to the arm band, i think it is too bulky.

The reason the display is out of sync has to do with the frequency of the wierless internet/phones etc...you will get use to it

LookingForMeAgain
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
On your bra is a great idea! Thanks

You mean like it works the same as a phone/internet or do you mean they interfer with it?

L144S
12-05-2009, 08:35 PM
they interfere, they have the stronge signal AND the display only syncs with the BB every 1-2 min. really you will get use to it and it will just become a part of your daily.

julesp313
12-05-2009, 11:48 PM
My left bicep is bruised - not visibly but I can feel it. I'm trying to think if I smacked it with something or if it could be the armband. Maybe I have it too tight - I'm paranoid about it sliding off or not reading properly. Trial and error here!

Talking of that... I've been wearing it on my right arm today, out of interest to see if that has an impact on the readings - I still don't know why you have to wear it on your left arm, so I thought I'd see if I can wear it on either arm. I like the idea of switching it up so my poor arm gets a rest!

L144S
12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
Jules, i think that when you fill out the progeam it asks if you are left or right handed.

I wear mine on my rt at night when I sleep and sometimes on the back of my left calf just below the knee. I do get a higher reading from my right arm durring the day, just because i am right handed. for the most part I have no issue with it on my left and I have been wearing mine for about a year.

Angel26519
12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I just ordered my GoFit today from their website direct for $159 with a 12 month commitment of $6.95 a month...

Question- I am left handed... should I use the GF on my right arm as it seems most people wear it on their left arm even though they are right handed... does it matter.

Thanks!

I am looking forward to this... actually very curious about the sleeping thing... main reason I chose this one over the BB.

babes315
12-07-2009, 04:57 PM
I just ordered my GoFit today from their website direct for $159 with a 12 month commitment of $6.95 a month...

Question- I am left handed... should I use the GF on my right arm as it seems most people wear it on their left arm even though they are right handed... does it matter.

Thanks!

I am looking forward to this... actually very curious about the sleeping thing... main reason I chose this one over the BB.

I am left handed too, and I wear it on my left arm. They ask you if you are left or right handed when you set it up online, so I would assume that they take that into account your dominate hand when calculating your calories.

I love my GWF and I think you will too!

Sheena41
12-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I thought you were supposed to wear it on your left arm no matter what. It is supposed to be more accurate or something.

babes315
12-07-2009, 06:24 PM
I thought you were supposed to wear it on your left arm no matter what. It is supposed to be more accurate or something.

That is my understanding as well, and I have been wearing mine on my left arm almost non-stop for 10 months. I know some people have put it on their calf when riding a bike though, because they felt that the reading was not accurate when they had it on their arm for that specific activity.

RockyMtnGirl
12-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I'm still debating on getting a GFW, since it is quite a chunk of change and there are a lot of bad reviews... but there are a ton of good reviews...
I also do a lot on the elliptical due to an old knee injury and I heard they don't work well if you use the elliptical...

L144S
12-07-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm still debating on getting a GFW, since it is quite a chunk of change and there are a lot of bad reviews... but there are a ton of good reviews...
I also do a lot on the elliptical due to an old knee injury and I heard they don't work well if you use the elliptical...

The Bodybugg from costco.com is an excellent deal right now 179 with a full year of the program.

the reason people put the BB GW on the calf (left) for eliptical and bike is because on the bike the legs are moving and arms are stationary. same for the elipticals that don't use arms.

I wear mine on my right are at night because I am not moving and it gives my left are a break. as far as "acruate" in the long run it is not going to over read calories on the back of the leg, although it may under read and fro me I can live with that risk.

I always say you have to do what you need to do to make the program work for you.

julesp313
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
Ugh, I'm traveling again which throws my whole routine upside down. However, I did bring my workout gear and I hit the hotel gym this morning so that was good. I don't like their treadmills or ellipticals as much as my gym back home but it was definitely better than not doing anything! The food is tough as it's hard to know how it's prepared but I'm trying to make the best choices given the options. And I'll be home on Wednesday so it's not like it's weeks and weeks of being away, which is good.

I forgot to take the GWF off to go through airport security and then on the flight - it says you shouldn't wear it on a plane but I'm not sure if that's founded or just precautionary, sort of like cell phones. I guess I'm getting so used to wearing it, I literally didn't think about having it on. That's a good thing!

RockyMtnGirl
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the response Dixie! I am checking Costco out right now! By the way, is that your black lab in your profile pic? So adorable! I have a yellow lab who is great!

What is everybody's thoughts on getting a display or just plugging in once a day?

Do you have to use a subscription, or can you upload to like an Excel Spreadsheet?

Thanks!!!

L144S
12-07-2009, 10:26 PM
You are welcome.
Mine came with the display and I have to say I use it! is it a must have? maybe? I like mine I wear it on my bra with the clip and i like I can check it when I am not home to see how my day is going....but if the $'s are an issue, it may not be where you want to spend your money.

Dixie is my 4 year old lab. cute as can be and a daddy's girl. We do a lot of walking together and that keeps both of uss happy!

-L

RockyMtnGirl
12-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Oh I wonder if there are any on sale at Dick's down here? That is a great price!!!

hhichick
12-07-2009, 10:37 PM
I love having the display. I'm not sure if it would work nearly as well for me finding out how I did after the fact, rather than seeing how I am doing during the day.

kristilinn13
12-08-2009, 09:08 AM
I ordered my GoFit last week--it should be here today or tomorrow--after finding this thread! I am excited to officially start my weight loss journey! I've tried to lose in the past, but couldn't stick with it, so I"m hoping have some online support will help make the difference :)

L144S
12-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Kristilinn,
:welcome: to 3 FC.
All I can say is I am not perfect. I have said it before and I will say it again. This is not a diet. It is a way of learning to make good choices. Seeing bad ones and not throwing it in because of a cookie. for me I can eat what I like. I pay more attention to servings and I MOVE everyday becuae I like to see the numbers move.

good luck!
-L

babes315
12-08-2009, 02:32 PM

I use the GWF and workout on the elliptical all the time (also due to knee problems) and I haven't noticed a problem. The number they give you on the elliptical is way higher then what the GWF says, but I had a trainer for a while before I got married and she always told me that she thought the number of calories burned displayed on the elliptical was way too high.

As far as the display, I used it a lot more when I first got my GWF than I do now. I do like having it though, nice when I cannot get to a computer for a few days (like when I visit my in-laws that don't have wireless internet so I can't use my laptop).

Welcome to 3FC kristilinn13!!

RockyMtnGirl
12-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!
I'm definitely getting one with my holiday bonus! Now it is deciding between the GWF and the BB... The GWF has that sleep efficiency thing, but the Body Bugg has where you can plug in daily meals to the program, not just the 3 day thing...

LadyMar
12-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Just in case it helps anyone, I found the Gowear Fit for $179 and display for $79 at drugstore.com, it comes with 3 month subscription, no commitment. No sales tax (to most states) or shipping. What makes this deal even sweeter is if you go through bing cashback, you get 20% back. If you shop through Bing Cashback's store listing and you'll get 10%, but if you go to Bing.com and do a search for a keyword that pulls up Drugstore.com's ad (like "toothbrush") and click through the ad to get 20% cashback.

I have been using bing almost monthly at drugstore.com to get diapers for my baby, and its been working.

SO basically it will be unit is $180 - $36 cashback = $144!!
display is $80-$16 = $64

LookingForMeAgain
12-08-2009, 04:28 PM
I got the actual body bugg from 24 hour fitness using ebates , you can sign up here if you havent already http://www.ebates.com/rf.do?referrerid=wP1c8WVzTKDQzyZGqXb%2F7Q%3D%3D
Then type 24 in the search and 24 hour fitness comes up. You get 4% back
Its $199 right now and I went ahead and got the display and used a 10% discount coupon found on ebates for that and both of them shipped/tax and all were $270 total and then I got $10.xx back at ebates
If you just wanted the BB it would be 199 get $8 back so $191

After reading about both I wanted the actual BodyBugg and so far I love it. I know others have loved the GW but my best friend hated it so I went for the BB and told her today either they are way different or shes a weirdo because Im in love with the bug.

So it took a few days to get to use to but Im loving it!
Thanks for the tip on wearing the display on your bra that has saved it for me I didnt like the clunky watch thing. And I was afraid Id lose it if it were just attached at the belt, shirt whatever.
So far so good and I love seeing the results instantly.

vegandelite
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Hello, Just wanted to provide some more feedback. Since I updated the software yesterday the difference in calories has been smaller between the display and when I sync the armband with the computer (closer to 50cal difference, as opposed to 150 calories previously!).

I hope everyone is going well with their weight loss.. decided to stick to 1lb per week goal compared to 2.5lb previously - I feel less stressed this way and it is more of a life style choice :)

I initially also thought the watch was too clunky, but hubbie convinced me to wear it and I am quite happy with it all now. It is very easy to check how I am going at any time of the day which I love!

sunshine269
12-09-2009, 08:55 AM
I have enjoyed reading this thread and I ordered the gwf from amazon yesterday, should arrive tomorrow, can't wait:carrot:

jennifer

LadyMar
12-09-2009, 12:27 PM
I am getting to the end of my first week with the bugg, but I am finding it hard to get to my target calories burned (2,400) on days I don't go to the gym. My kid has been sick this week, so i have been in the last couple of days. Still managed to get on track with 1,000 calories deficit daily but its spread through the day. I think like someone mentioned the 2 lb/week track might be too much for me long term. I think I will try to do it for another week (or until i get to 170) and then go down to 1.5 or 1.25 and see it that feels more maintainable.

L144S
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
LadyMar :welcome: to 3FC.

Glad you got the Bugg! it took me a few weeks to tweak my program to a place I could live with it. My kids are not little so i don't have that issue, but there are days I spend a ton of time in the car driving and waiting for kids. I do more on somedays in the gym and less on others but hopefully it ballances out to be where I want it to be.

babes315
12-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks for all the help guys!
I'm definitely getting one with my holiday bonus! Now it is deciding between the GWF and the BB... The GWF has that sleep efficiency thing, but the Body Bugg has where you can plug in daily meals to the program, not just the 3 day thing...

GWF changed their food logging choices, you now have a choice between daily logging, the 3 day nutrition assessment or just putting the total number of calories for the day in.

I am getting to the end of my first week with the bugg, but I am finding it hard to get to my target calories burned (2,400) on days I don't go to the gym. My kid has been sick this week, so i have been in the last couple of days. Still managed to get on track with 1,000 calories deficit daily but its spread through the day. I think like someone mentioned the 2 lb/week track might be too much for me long term. I think I will try to do it for another week (or until i get to 170) and then go down to 1.5 or 1.25 and see it that feels more maintainable.

I am glad you like the Bugg! It has been hard for me lately to get to my goal too, even when I do the elliptical for an hour! My goal is 2500 burned per day, but usually I end up with 2000-2200 calories burned.

dangerousfish
12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
I've been watching my calorie burns from midnight to 7AM, using with the new desktop Sync or using the upload via the website. I am noticing a 50 calorie decrease using the desktop app.

I just wish I knew which one was right. It seems that if there was an error in the way the software was reading the raw data from the armband that they would have also corrected the website upload -- which makes me think there is an error on the desktop sync. And... And body media just released a new version of the desktop app "Body Media SYNC" so maybe that will correct the discrepancies.

L144S
12-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I've been watching my calorie burns from midnight to 7AM, using with the new desktop Sync or using the upload via the website. I am noticing a 50 calorie decrease using the desktop app.

I just wish I knew which one was right. It seems that if there was an error in the way the software was reading the raw data from the armband that they would have also corrected the website upload -- which makes me think there is an error on the desktop sync. And... And body media just released a new version of the desktop app "Body Media SYNC" so maybe that will correct the discrepancies.

Is this from the GWF update a few weeks back?

med0404
12-09-2009, 03:08 PM
LadyMar,

I too have a hard time meeting my burn goal without going to the gym. There are some days that I will hit it without going to they gym but those are few and far between! I also don't usually hit my step target without going to the gym. I just make it a point to get there every day (I don't schedule a rest day, I take them, but I don't schedule them) but sometimes "life happens" and you make the best decision(s) you can at the time. With your little one sick (and you too), your time was better spent getting well. Do your best and forget the rest.....that's all you can do :)

dangerousfish
12-09-2009, 03:10 PM
For people stressing over the GoWear Fit or the bodybugg I honestly don't think it matters. Both armbands and software are made by BodyMedia. The bodybugg just happens to be owned/leased(?) by 24hour Fitness and targeted towards their users (and anyone else that whats it, of course). I'm sure the BodyMedia ExerSPY from the website dotfit is the exact same technology as well. Just with a subscription to an ediets-esque fitness website.

It could be that the reason gowearfit.com changed to bodymedia.com is because the bodybugg and ExerSPY are both owned by other people (but created by BodyMedia) and the GWF is just the "unbranded" version of the same product.

I'm sure I would be equally happy with the bugg, or sensewear, or exerSPY (except I would never pay the subscription fees on the exerSPY website).

dangerousfish
12-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Is this from the GWF update a few weeks back?

Yes, along with the new website/food update they also were like "download bodymedia SYNC!" which is an app which I guess you're supposed to let run in the background waiting for you to plug in your armband (I don't do this, waste of resources). If I upload via SYNC my burn is a bit lower than uploading via the website. I do like that it tells me exactly where my battery is at vs the website's vague picture. I'll have to experiment with this new version of SYNC, see what the changes are.

dangerousfish
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
I have enjoyed reading this thread and I ordered the gwf from amazon yesterday, should arrive tomorrow, can't wait:carrot:

jennifer

Welcome to the armband gang!

RockyMtnGirl
12-09-2009, 03:29 PM
Ladymar, thanks for the tips about using Bing Cashback and searching for "toothbrush" to get 20% instead of 10%! That's so awesome!!!

I just ordered my Go Fit Wear and Display today!!!! 2-Day Shipping!!!

L144S
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info on the GWF update. I am sure BB will have similar issues when they do a software update.

And I agree, I think it doesen't matter wich you get, the philosphy is the same, calories in vs calories out.

just a reminder that BB is 179 from costco with the 1 yr membership, but no display

julesp313
12-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't have the display and so far, don't covet one! I think it would be handy but I know I wouldn't wear it - I'd probably just throw it in my purse and forget to check it. I didn't sync my GWF for three days while I was out of town, not because I couldn't but I just didn't bother (too much going on with work!). I think if I were gone longer, I'd have uploaded it though. I did log my food diligently, which is something I have to do on a daily (or more than once a day) basis so I stay on track.

I rarely hit the calorie burn unless it's a weekend and I've been for a run, ridden my horse, done barn chores, and then house cleaning! But I am seeing a deficit every day and even if it's small, it's motivating. As a tool, the GWF has made me do two things - work out regularly, knowing I need it to get even remotely close to my bun, and log my food, which I've never managed to do for more than a few days consistently. Knowing without my food logging, this tool is pretty useless, I am becoming more and more consistent with the log and that's something I've always wanted to do! So I think for me, it's a very handy addition to my weight loss and fitness plan!

By the way - are the armbands the same for GWF and BodyBugg? I'd like to get a back-up band for when I'm washing one and it's too wet to wear - GWF sells them for $8, and I haven't checked BB. I'd also like a wireless sync option which I don't see on the GWF site - not sure if BB works with GWF or not. All these questions!

nelie
12-10-2009, 03:30 PM
Hey Chickies, question for you!!

Price not a factor, would you choose a BodyBugg over a GoWear Fit? (I know many of you said it doesn't matter which one you get but it does seem there are various differences)

I've noticed Costco has the BodyBugg for $179 with a 12 month subscription. I'm considering it.

L144S
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Nelie, it really doesen't matter. you won't miss what you don't have so I say snapp it up at the 179 and com on the bugg waggon! ( I would say the same if it were the GWF for that price)

babes315
12-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Hey Chickies, question for you!!

Price not a factor, would you choose a BodyBugg over a GoWear Fit? (I know many of you said it doesn't matter which one you get but it does seem there are various differences)

I've noticed Costco has the BodyBugg for $179 with a 12 month subscription. I'm considering it.

I personally got both and price was not a factor, and I kept the GWF. I thought I wanted the BB because it had calorie logging, but it was not as user friendly as I had hoped. I know a lot of people said that after the first week or two, it is much easier/faster, either because you can copy from previous days and/or they added custom meals (sorry, I don't remember if it was one, the other or both). Since that was the only reason why I got it and I really wanted the sleep feature of the GWF, I returned the BB and got a GWF and have been happy with it. GWF updated there software a while back, so now you can log your food with GWF too, so that is not an issue.

I like the GWF better myself, but BB has a lot of dedicated people too. If you don't care about the sleep feature that the GWF does, then the BB at Costco is a good value.

kristilinn13
12-10-2009, 08:09 PM
My GWF finally came tonight after being delayed by the blizzard. I'm excited to wear it tomorrow!

Question though.... according to Sparkpeople.com I should be eating 1600-1900 calories, but my GWF activity manager says that I should eat more calories than that... which should I go by??

L144S
12-10-2009, 08:50 PM
I think you should go with your GFW. you bought it and you need to at least in the begining choose sides. Also i think sparks people overestamates WO calories.

HOWEVER, 1900 seems high, how big a deficite are you looking to have daily? at your current weight 2900 burn daily might be difficult.

Also it took a few tries for me to set my program to something managable. my program is set for 1450 eat, 2450 burn. I try to maintain a 1000 calorie deficite . some days I eat more. today I ate 1700 and will only burn 2300, yesterday I ate 1625 but I burned 3000...Sunday I had a zero deficite...

I have to live my life, I am losing, SLOWLY but it is all good and I know that it works and it works for my lifestyle...

nelie
12-10-2009, 09:05 PM
Ok I ordered the bodybugg!! We'll see how it goes, I'm not too interested in the sleep feature. Also, Costco has an awesome return policy.

I am guessing that it'll arrive next week!

dangerousfish
12-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Wow, a whole year's subscription is an incredible value!:carrot: I'm sure you'll love your bodybugg!

dangerousfish
12-10-2009, 10:42 PM
My GWF finally came tonight after being delayed by the blizzard. I'm excited to wear it tomorrow!

Question though.... according to Sparkpeople.com I should be eating 1600-1900 calories, but my GWF activity manager says that I should eat more calories than that... which should I go by??

I'd go with GWF. You can adjust your consumption as you get more of an idea of your daily burn depending on activity but I feel better losing more slowly but having an appropriate burn vs the first (and only) other time I lost weight where I was only eating 1500 calories. I eat around 2100 now (with a burn of around 3050 as long as I do my daily dog walk) and lose 1/2-2 pounds a week (generally) and I like that I am still building muscle instead of losing it.

dangerousfish
12-10-2009, 10:44 PM
I uploaded tonight using the new SYNC software and it appears the lower burn issue is resolved. I'll upload tomorrow via the website for some more comparison but so far so good.

babes315
12-10-2009, 11:49 PM

I thought that the GWF's calorie intake recommendation was a little high for me personally. I just entered my own daily calorie intake of 1500 calories. I have mine set to lose 2 lbs per week, so that is a 1000 calorie deficit per day, so I try to burn 2500 calories per day.

Have you counted calories in the past? If yes, what number worked for you before? If not, you might want to try the lower end of what Sparkpeople recommended and give it a week. If you find that it is too hard to stick to 1600 calories, then bump it up a little bit. Good luck!

LadyMar
12-11-2009, 01:57 AM
The calories in is one of the things that has been different this time from other times I have dieted. I thought to lose weight you should set to 10xweight, but BB initially sugested 1,350 in/2,350 out and I have been hitting that every day so far. 1,350 feels little, but I am getting used to it. I cant imagine maintaining at that level. There really is no room for chocolate ice cream in that number, so maybe I will just have a zero deficit day and try to make up the other days.

I was wondering how you guys go about logging your calories. It takes me forever, I bought a kitchen scale and I go tortilla-scale-cheese-scale-turkey-scale-tomatoes-scale-etc it takes forever to make a taco, fortunately my budget doesnt allow for more than 2. Its kind of a big chore. Specially when I am making a dish with the weights of things going in changes (like onions or meat) because of water content. I tend to measure for dishes like casseroles the total amount going in (total turkey calories, total potatoes calories, total tomato calories, etc) and weigh the amount of the finished product I take and then divide it by the weight of the whole product. It really is exhausting every time I make something. I am about to give up and go to packaged frozen foods so I dont have to go to the pain of doing all of this. At the end of the day I have a huge math problem trying to figure out how much I did eat, and I usually come way under cause I am afraid, and then finish the day with a snack of the remaining calories. There has to be an easier way.

babes315
12-11-2009, 02:20 AM
LadyMar - One thing that might make it a little quicker when you make your tacos is if you actually build your taco on the scale. My scale has a "tare" button that resets the weight to zero, even if you have a plate, tortilla, etc. on top of it. Also, many vegetables do not have a lot of calories, like tomatoes, lettuce, etc., so for those things I think it is OK to eyeball it.

I think the way that you make the casserole is the most accurate way to do it. One thing that can make that easier is if you write down the weight of the finished product so next time you make it, you can just weigh out your portion and not worry about having to divide the rest of it up.

Also, you might want to try to log your food as you go along instead of waiting until the end of the day. I always have problems remembering what I ate if I wait until the end of the day. I usually log what I plan to eat for the day in the morning, and then update it as necessary. Good luck!

L144S
12-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Dangerousfish,
everyones calorie burn and intake is based on their current weight. I personally have to put in almost 3 hours of activity including my dog walk and eliptical to get to 3000 calories burned. I also am losing about a lb a week with a 1000 cal a day def. This was why I said that it may not be as easy for somone to burn 3000 caps a day based on current weight.

Bb allows you to adjust you calories in too.

L144S
12-11-2009, 10:00 PM
anyone having trouble uploading to the BB site tonigh or it just me and comcast

gypsielady
12-11-2009, 10:42 PM
I'm new to the forum but I had to speak up as I got my GWF in the mail today! I'm so excited to get started with this little wonder. It's charging now and I can't wait to start wearing it to see exactly what is happening with my body. I've been stuck at the same weight for the last month and I'm hoping that by using the GWF system it will motivate me to move around more and finally break that plateau.

RockyMtnGirl
12-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Gypsielady - you must update us once you get it up and running!
I'm anxiously awaiting for mine to arrive (tomorrow or Monday)!!!

babes315
12-11-2009, 11:48 PM
:welcome: gypsielady!

RockyMtnGirl - You must be so excited to get your GWF!

To my fellow GWF chicks - I called GWF the other day about the change in the how calories were calculated after the new release of BodyMedia Fit 3.0 a few weeks ago, and at the beginning of this past week or so they put out a new download that fixes these problems. After you log in, look on the top right where it says "BodyMedia SYNC version 1.0.7 available - Click here to download". I downloaded it yesterday, and today my burn looks like it is back to normal.

DangeriousFish - I know you were trying to figure this out too and were updating us as to how things were going. Now that you downloaded the v. 1.0.7, is everything back to normal for you too?

gypsielady
12-12-2009, 08:45 AM
Just a quick update re: my GWF. I got everything charged, synced and up and running. I'm using mine on a Mac and while it took a bit of extra work to get things going I was successful and now my GWF is sitting comfortably on my left arm. I wore it to bed last night and didn't have any problems whatsoever with it interfering with my sleep. I barely notice it on my arm now. The only concern I have is the calories that it estimates I need on a daily basis as it's quite a bit higher than what I'm used to having based on what I've had with Sparkpeople. I'll just see what happens over the next day or so and how it balances out as I get used to wearing it and it gets used to me and my average activity.

dangerousfish
12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
DangeriousFish - I know you were trying to figure this out too and were updating us as to how things were going. Now that you downloaded the v. 1.0.7, is everything back to normal for you too?

Yup, the new version has things squared away. I still will download via the website more often than not, SYNC doesn't seem that awesome or time-saving. For me, anyway.

dangerousfish
12-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Dangerousfish,
everyones calorie burn and intake is based on their current weight. I personally have to put in almost 3 hours of activity including my dog walk and eliptical to get to 3000 calories burned. I also am losing about a lb a week with a 1000 cal a day def. This was why I said that it may not be as easy for somone to burn 3000 caps a day based on current weight.

Bb allows you to adjust you calories in too.
I didn't mean people should eat or burn what I do, obviously smaller people are going to burn less. But I've found that the GWF recommendations (which is what I'm basing my goals on) may be higher than some sites suggest but not impossible on an active day. On days you aren't as active of course it makes sense to eat fewer calories. I've sat down most of today, writing and reading, and I'm not going to eat anywhere near what I ate yesterday when I has a full day or work, exercise, snow shoveling, and holiday party tom-foolery.

Angel26519
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
I just got my gfw... and about to charge it up... I am also on an Apple and I noticed that it recommends PC usage so I am going to the "Windows" side of my computer (VMFusion side) and going to set up on that side... will let you know how it goes...

augeremt
12-12-2009, 06:32 PM
Angel - I had that same problem when I first got the GWF (it wouldn't work on the Mac at all), but now, as long as you have the newest version of Safari, it should be ok. Mine's been working flawlessly now. I also have a Windows side on my Mac, but got sick of going back and forth just to upload my GWF.

gypsielady
12-12-2009, 09:00 PM
I agree re: the Mac. That's what I use to upload my GWF. The biggest issue you may find is that you have to change Safari over to 32 bit versus the 64 bit version. There are instructions on the GWF website about how to do that if you aren't sure and I've had no problems since.

hhichick
12-12-2009, 09:02 PM
I couldn't get my armband to upload on my Mac at home so I've been doing it at the office. I'll have to try again - and follow the directions this time. Just need to bring my cable home!

zea mays
12-12-2009, 09:58 PM
I agree re: the Mac. That's what I use to upload my GWF. The biggest issue you may find is that you have to change Safari over to 32 bit versus the 64 bit version. There are instructions on the GWF website about how to do that if you aren't sure and I've had no problems since.

For those of you on a Mac, make sure you do this. I never had a single problem once I did this.

L144S
12-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Dangerfish, that was my point too. It takes a Little time to teak you program to work for you. Andi am not suprised it is different from SP you GWF has better information.

julesp313
12-13-2009, 10:48 PM
I've got mine working on my iMac - it does work with Firefox for food logging, though it's not as happy as with Safari for syncing.

Does anyone know about a wireless method of syncing? When I plug the GWF into the USB cable, and go to Sync through the Bodymedia site, it says do I want to sync through USB or wireless - but I don't know how to do the wireless option. I couldn't find a wireless plug-in on the Bodymedia website - am I missing something obvious???

gypsielady
12-13-2009, 11:07 PM
jules I think the bodymedia site is set up for both GWF and the Body bugg (that does have a wireless upload option.) I've also read here on the site that someone was able to use the body bugg wireless upload with the GWF so that may be something to consider. I've found out that I'd much rather do the wireless upload if it's possible for the daily stuff and then save the USB for the times I have to charge up. Hope that helps

babes315
12-14-2009, 01:39 AM
I second what Gypsielady said. They don't have a wireless option yet for GWF, it is still "in the works". The Bodybugg does have a wireless option, and according to this link, the BB wireless communicator will work with the GWF: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/2752741-post320.html

I don't mind not having the wireless communicator personally though. I just take it off before I take a shower, upload the info and let it charge while I lather up. If I want any info during the day, I just sync up to the display.

vegandelite
12-14-2009, 05:54 AM
Hello everyone,

Just a quick update. I haven't lost any weight since I got my GWF - and that my friends is my own fault. I have been overeating, but FINALLY I can see where I have been over-eating.. and I understand what effect it has on me.

I LOVE my GWF. I've had maybe 4 people ask me what I have on my arm, to which I reply "it's like a pedometer, but a bit fancier".. they look a bit confused, but no one asks more.

I have found it a bit uncomfortable to sleep in every night so I only use it one night a week or so.

I am keen to get back on board tomorrow with my health. Wish me luck!!

Sheena41
12-14-2009, 08:52 AM
I always tell people it is a high tech pedometer.

I have not worn mine in the last month or so and I have not been allowed to do any exercise due to a back problem. I will start wearing it again as soon as I am allowed to exercise.

RockyMtnGirl
12-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Glad you are figuring things out! My GWF arrives today! So excited, but I think I may have to wait for the larger armband to arrive on Tuesday before I can start really using it...

nelie
12-14-2009, 11:54 AM
My BodyBugg is on its way to Maryland and will arrive tomorrow so now I'm just lurking. I'm a bit nervous but I need something to help motivate me to keep tracking and I'm hoping this will be it. It'd be nice to get under 200 in 2010.

RockyMtnGirl
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Nellie- isn't waiting awful? I'm so anxious for mine to arrive!!!

RockyMtnGirl
12-14-2009, 07:31 PM
My GWF Arrived!!! Charged it and am now upgrading browsers to try and get it to work!!!

dangerousfish
12-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Mwhahah. I ate some sugar-filled holiday party leftovers today (and baked chicken, kiwis, and Harvest/Christmas salad) in addition to "it's for the kids" (I work in a school) fast food fundraiser and so I just busted out on an extra long 2 and 1/2 hour walk/jog/explore with the dog and by 8pm I was well over my normal total burn, negated the extras (as much as you can negate too much caramel corn), and discovered some crazy giant mausoleum for sale on a private drive I've never been down. Some people have weird taste in design.

GWF powers activate. I haven't been swayed by foods I'm not even that interested in for a long time (okay, that corn was way too delicious) but there will be no depressing binge-guilt. I'm still at a sizable deficit and tomorrow is another day.

dangerousfish
12-14-2009, 10:39 PM
VeganD and RMG glad you got your goodies!

vegandelite
12-15-2009, 06:57 AM
Day 1 on the 'back on track' plan :)

I suppose the most important piece of information when wanting to buy this gadget is that it works, but one just needs to actually use it properly ...

Secondly, my big learning is that I need to change my habits. I cannot carry on trying to get chocolate in everyday.. it's just not going to work this way. I can do it nicely for a few days without overindulging, but then my lust gets the better of me and I overindulge - and everything goes downhill from there. SO.. today was day one of trying to eat relatively healthy - a bit hard because we went to someone elses house for dinner and the food was pretty oily, though by my estimates (and I included every almond etc I ate), I think my stats are:

intake: 1890 calories
fat: 71g (waaaay too high!)
output: 2350 calories (no exercise.. just working on my feet all day in a shop)

deficit of ~450 calories - I'm pretty happy with that. Will check in again soon :)

RockyMtnGirl
12-15-2009, 09:18 AM
GWF Users: Sleep Efficiency: What is the normal % or the % I should strive for?
Wore it last night and it said I was at 79% meaning I was lying down for 8hrs 12min, but only sleeping 6hrs 28min! It has already opened my eyes, since I usually go to bed between 8-8.5 hours before I need to get up to get my 8hrs of sleep, but I guess I'm still tired since I'm only sleeping 6.5hrs!