Old 09-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default calorie doubts.

I took my kids to Subway today, and I got myself a kids mini veggie delight-- which was advertised as having 150 calories....

On it I put just veggies-- lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle... and mustard.

But, as I was eating it, I got really suspicious...

My SMALL slices of whole wheat bread at home have 80 calories-- the white bread I used to buy had 120 calories per slice. This was one quarter of a subway roll-- in other words two THICK slices.

I ended up pulling off one of the sides of the roll and eating only the other half.

Am I getting neurotic, or do they really underestimate their calories?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:15 PM   #2  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

I would bet that 150 calories is just about right for a mini veggie delight at Subway. I checked WW and it said that a 6" veggie delight without mayo and cheese is 4 points (approx. 200 calories), so 150 would make sense for a mini.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #3  
Out is Through

I think their calories are accurate, you just have to take into account cheese and how many toppings you're putting on. The veggies have calories, but hey..they're good for you anyway!

If you eat meat, I suggest trying a roast beef sandwich on whole wheat. Have them put RB, 2 triangles of american cheese, tomatoes and olives on a 6inch and toast it. Top with a bit of light mayo and it's delicious! I was craving pizza one night and it really hit the spot
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:38 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeech View Post
I think their calories are accurate, you just have to take into account cheese and how many toppings you're putting on. The veggies have calories, but hey..they're good for you anyway!
I didn't put on any cheese or mayo-- just the veggies. it was the bread I was questioning... it seemed like SO MUCH bread. I guess it's a matter of perspective.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:48 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I do know that I have the roasted chicken with veggies and mustard. 6 inch. And it's like 310 calories. So that sounds about right!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #6  
Out is Through

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I didn't put on any cheese or mayo-- just the veggies. it was the bread I was questioning... it seemed like SO MUCH bread. I guess it's a matter of perspective.
Sorry, I misinterpreted Their bread is a lot lighter than it looks, it's not heavy at all..it's actually quite airy and fluffy on the inside. The nutritional facts seem accurate, but I understand the anxiety you feel when eating out
Creeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:51 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

You're not alone. I don't know what it is, but the numbers just do not add up to me as far as the bread is concerned. I'm sure their estimates are close to correct, it's just me probably. It definitely looks like more bread than that.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

The new Arnold sandwich thins are ony 100 calories so they have new fillers, I am assuming, that can add bulk and no calories. Maybe we don't want to know!
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 AM   #9  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile I question the bread, too...

To me, it just seems like too much bread for the amount of calories they say it is... it may be, but ya, I completely understand, one slice of the whole wheat bread I eat at home is 80 calories...and there does seem to be a very lot of bread on those sandwiches. I don't know, but I don't go out to eat much, and so it's either Subway or Panera for me.
I guess we are in the same boat, sorry I could not help, as I really don't know...but I wonder too. I don't really count calories, but it is a good idea to have a knowledge of how many calories are in foods.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:02 AM   #10  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanne View Post
I don't know, but I don't go out to eat much, and so it's either Subway or Panera for me.
Panera's bread is REALLY calorie-dense. Some of their sandwiches have 800 calories, just because the bread is that dense (delicious) multi-grain. Subway bread has a lot more air (and a lot less nutrition, I'd wager), making it lower calorie even though it seems like a lot of bread.

Are their calorie counts a little under? Probably. But if there was a huge discrepancy we'd have heard about it by now, especially given the amount of time they spend pushing Subway on The Biggest Loser. Someone would have broken down the calorie count in their bread and spread the news far and wide if they were underestimating on purpose.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:15 AM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I know how you feel, I get really suspicious too LOL I ate the grilled chicken garden salad at McDonald's and it was absolutely scrumptious, a generous chicken breast sliced on top, lots of greens and a balsamic dressing, easily enough for dinner. It said 200 cals for salad and 110 for the dressing, so 300ish cals for a ginormous salad seemed a bit suspect!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote