Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2009, 08:39 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Default Unexplained Weight Loss

Last week I was very sick. I took a whole week off from exercise and calorie counting. Let me assure you that I am NOT one of those people who loses their appetite when I'm sick. On the contrary I ran to my old vices like cheetos, chips, cake, cheese, pasta, fast food, and chinese-take out. To tell the truth I was too scared to count up those calories. Laying on the couch for a week not even wearing my pedometer and hardly getting any activity in my days.

This morning I was petrified to get on the scale but was prepared nonetheless to see at least a 3lb gain from the salt alone! To my shock I had a 1lb loss bringing me officially under 180lbs. I don't FEEL skinnier and my clothes even feel just the tinsiest bit tighter.

I'm too confused to be happy about this although I've been looking forward to the number 179 for a long time. I'm not even willing to post it in my ticker yet. What on earth has happened to me?
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:02 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Weight is the weirdest thing!

I dunno Wannabe

Sometimes we struggle and nothing happens. Sometimes we relax and something does happen. But over the longterm, both me and my body are happier and better if I eat healthier food and stay active.

Take what you've been given today. Remember that encouraging number and just keep on keepin' on.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:05 AM   #3  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Were you laid out? Boy, that sounds bad but I just can't find different wording right now.

When I am sick, in bed or on the couch, with my legs up, my weight drops. I am sure that it is fluid loss. Sometimes I am surprised by how small my ankles look then. Maybe you normally carry a little more fluid in your legs and having them elevated made you lose it.

Now, if I could just work from the couch with my feet elevated!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 232/158/150

Height: 5"5

I have found a similar experience when I have taken a week or so off from exercise. Even though you are eating more, something changes in your body from the lack of exercise, probably fluid-related. This past summer I went on a mini-vacation to visit relatives and stopped exercising for about 6 days and pretty much ate like a pig. When I came home I had lost a pound. This after weeks of struggling to lose a pound a week by exercising an hour or more every day and counting calories like crazy. Sometimes you just have to shake your head and move on.

For me, I don't count weight as truly lost until I see the number on the scale at least 3 days in a row. Give yourself a few days and see what the scale shows.
TMG2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

When you are sick your body is fixated on fighting off the virus and that means it is using what it can as energy. You also do lose fluids, like I said, your body is working overtime to fight things off.

I always lose weight, no matter how I eat, after I'm sick. It can be a pound or like when I had the stomach flu, I lost 8 or 9 pounds in 4 days. Fluid loss, I did gain back a few pounds after I started getting more hydrated.

Hopefully you are well? I hope so! Get yourself hydrated and if the scale goes up, don't fret, it happens. Fluids!

Last edited by Jacquie668; 09-21-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 10:21 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Wannabe,

I so carefully share this. BUT.

I have had a 3 times during my journey when I skipped workouts (3-4 days) for being sick, traveling, horrendous weather or whatever. --Definitely was eating more during these periods as well--as evidenced in my food journals. Anyway, I had unexplained weightloss just after the periods of upping calories and decreasing workouts. My weightloss was 3 pound chunks though.

As far as your clothing, I am unsure why that would be. Drink lots of water and get your fiber today and stay away from sodium. I am betting you will see another drop in the morning.

Last edited by Thighs Be Gone; 09-21-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Take what you've been given today. Remember that encouraging number and just keep on keepin' on.
I sure will Susan, that's great advice.

Well I'm glad to hear I'm not the only that's experienced this. I don't let this small unforseen victory to give me cart blanche on eating cheetos again anytime soon, and have gone to a strict 1200 caloric intake for today (i'm a calorie cycler normally).

Hubby also votes for the "your body's working really hard to fight off the virus" theory and thinks that getting over a cold burns a lot of calories.

Ok I'll say it..... Welcome to the 170's dear self!!
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote