South Beach Diet - steel cut oats

View Full Version : steel cut oats

june65
09-20-2009, 11:09 PM
not sure if this is in the correct section, but just wanted to share.

Steel cut oats aka irish oats are very tasty, filling and a excellent way to start your day, or even eat any time of day, the only problem is they take at least 30 minutes to prepare.
here is what I do, basic ratio is 1 part oats to 4 parts liquid, ( I use milk and water mix)
placae 1 cup oats with 2 cups water into a bowl, leave this overnight ,or for a least a few hours( the oats will soften )
To this oat/water mixture add another 2 cups of liquid- I use ff milk.
In a heavy sauce pan, bring this mixture to boil, then simmer for about 5, until
desired thickness is achieved.
I divided this into containers, it freezer really well, just defrost and microwave for a quick breakfast.
also I like to add a tablesppon of peanut butter for added protein, I am full for at least 3-4 hours with this breakfast. ( a serving is about 3/4 cup of cooked oats)
:)

Lexxiss
09-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Great idea! Thanks! I have steered away from SCO because of the cooking time, but just like beans, the overnight soak is a great idea. Its nice to know the formula.

CyndiM
09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
There is a recipe for crockpot oats in the recipe files. In the winter we make "porridge" in the crockpot overnight. I usually combine steel cut oats, wheat or spelt berries (great texture) and quinoa. Sometimes I add amaranth, millet or other grains. Toss in some dried fruits and it's a great way to wake up in cold weather. I like walnuts too but add those in the bowl.

I'm going to give your technique a try when I just want enough for me :) thanks!

beachgal
09-21-2009, 09:26 AM
Thanks, June! This is a great idea. Let's leave it here in the main forum for a bit, so everyone has a chance to see it, then we can put it in the recipe forum so it doesn't get lost.

Here's a link to the crockpot oatmeal made with steel cut oats (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/crockpot-slow-cooker-phase-2/135558-crockpot-steel-cut-oats.html)(it's awesome) and another option for morning hot cereal (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/breakfast-ideas-phase-2/162711-creamy-wheat-berry-hot-cereal.html), made with wheat berries (I cooked up a huge batch of wheat berries and portioned them out, then froze 'em. Made making this porridge SO fast!) :chef:

obnurseonsb
10-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Glad I found this post. I am so sick of eggs, and my cottage cheese shake for breakfast! I got some quinoa which bf and I are going to try. Think I am going to do the portion and freeze method mentioned in this thread. He is excited because I told him it has a lot of protein. lol, he sees his muscles getting bigger already!! I am just so thrilled to have something new. And I will for sure be trying the oatmeal. I love oatmeal,and they serve it in the hospital cafeteria. But it is quick oats. :mad:

Anyone with suggestions on some good add ins? Want to avoid adding other grains.,.....looking more for fruits, spices, or SF syrups and the such!

Thanks!

murphmitch
10-09-2009, 09:07 PM
Anyone with suggestions on some good add ins? Want to avoid adding other grains.,.....looking more for fruits, spices, or SF syrups and the such!

Thanks!

I add cinnamon, splenda, unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze almond milk and a Tbs. of natural PB or almond butter to my daily oatmeal.

cottagebythesea
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
This time of year I like to add chopped apples, walnuts and cranberries to my oatmeal and steelcut oats. In the summer, I love peaches or fresh berries on it. My favorite topping in the spring is SF rhubarb sauce. Yummy!

KDHW
10-09-2009, 10:49 PM
I have really enjoyed adding oatmeal to my diet......it does keep me full and satisfied until lunch time. I make mine with milk to help get my dairy in, a little stevia, cinnamon and once cooked I drizzle a little bit of SF maple syrup....its so GOOD!!!

obnurseonsb
10-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Yum, thanks for all the suggestions. I can't wait to try them. I actually just got a container of the Almond Breeze. It was only ok for drinking with dinner, but I will definitely use it in oatmeal and quinoa. Hopefully I can sneak it in some other recipes too.

I love fruit and nuts, so those will also definitely be thrown in! I love Penzey's Vietnamese Cinnamon, it is so bold. I think I need to do a little shopping tomorrow and pick up a new jar!