Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-19-2009, 12:45 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 242/in progress/132?

Height: 5' 7"

Default New here! Where do I start?

Hello!
I am new here. I signed on yesterday after reading this forum for a while. I just don't know where to begin. I've lost a bunch of weight but now I'm not losing any more. I don't have any diet that I'm following. I've just done a bunch of different things but my weight loss is almost nothing right now. I might need a plan. So where do I start? There are so many plans out there. I was thinking about Medifast or something fast like that because I want to lose fast. I have trouble keeping the weight off, so I don't know what other plans would work fast and let me stay thin. Help! I don't know where to start!
misskimothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:53 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I would suggest checking out the Diet Central here - http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/#diet-central

Loads of info on all sorts of eating plans.

Welcome and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

You already got great advice, so I just wanted to say welcome to the group!
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:39 PM   #4  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I can vouch for calorie counting. It is free, reliable and can help you change your lifestyle so that you do not re-gain the weight.

Honestly, I would be less concerned about how FAST you lose the weight and more concerned about doing so in such a way that you can sustain the loss for the rest of your life.

Losing weight is easy compared to maintenance. Spend some time surfing around, and then pick a plan that you can do - forever.

CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Another calorie counter here. And I agree with CountingDown (for the millionith time) - don't be so concerned about how fast it comes off. You are looking for PERMANENT weight loss. Not necessarily speedy.

Work on trading your current eating behaviors and patterns for new and healthy ones. Get a plan in place. Find foods that you love. Experiment with what works for you and what doesn't. Set yourself some ground rules. Make up some boundaries. Strategies to get you through. Commit to doing this - no matter what. NO MATTER WHAT. Stick with it. STick with it. STICK WITH IT. And the weight WILL come off. There's no way that it can't. Focus on the behaviors - not the time. Because time will pass one way or the other and rather quickly at that. By incorporating good and healthy habits into your life, that weight will start melting off of you, putting your time to very good use.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I have to agree with those advocating focusing on permanent weight loss over speed. You want to keep the weight off, right? Therefore you have to find a plan that works for you! Many of us do calorie count because we like the flexibility. I also like the accountability of writing everything down. Others like more structured programs.

Since finding the right plan can take a while, I think Robin's advice about developing healthy eating behaviors is a really good one!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 06:50 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

^all these ladies^

there is evidence that the faster you lose weight, the faster you gain it back. fasting is an option, but how long can you keep that up? if you stop fasting and return to eating normally, you will gain all the weight back.

how much are you looking to lose? if you want to lose 5 lbs to look good at some event, sure, go for the fast. if you need some serious weight loss for your health and well being, take the slow and steady approach.

im also a calorie counter
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:55 PM   #8  

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I have alot to think about. I know that I can lose weight fast if I really strictly diet. But it never works because I always gain the weight back.

I'm confused about calorie counting. It seems like alot of work. And my SO and I eat out alot and I don't know how I would count the calories. It seems tough. So I've been looking at Atkins and Weight Watchers. I think that these plans might be easier. I don't know if I could really stick with Atkins.

I don't know much about nutrition. I don't know if it is how much I eat or what I eat or both that has made me this big. I can't find a place on this forum about how to figure this out. Does anyone have any resources or books that I can get at the library that has helped them?

I don't mean to be a pain. I just feel stuck here and I am grateful for all your responses. I have about 100 lbs to go
Old 09-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #9  

You know, a good place to start is just writing down everything you eat. Even if you don't know the calorie counts. Weigh everything you can and write down the amounts too. For me, just knowing I have to record it helps me eat less!!!

As for nutrition, one place to start might just be thinking about the following:
- proteins (such as chicken, pork, and fish, beans, eggs)
- fruits and veggies -- served without a lot of frying or sauces
- whole grains -- substitute for "white grains"
- fats in moderation, especially "healthy" fats like nuts, fish, olive oil...
- low fat dairy products

You may need to start with baby steps. See if you can substitute what you do eat with "healthier" versions, and write everything down. You'll start to get a handle on the "what" and the "how much".

As for going out to eat, that can be difficult on any plan. When you do go out, think about avoiding heavy sauces (including salad dressing) and red meat and try to eat more of the foods listed above. Also, you might be surprised by how many places do have calorie counts online. Even if a place doesn't, I can often find some information about what the heavier and lighter foods are... from either the internet, or asking at the restaurant. You can also order the food "as you like" in many places. Ask for them to take off the sauces, or cook your meat "naked" and the like...

Last edited by Heather; 09-19-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:17 PM   #10  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

calorie counting can be daunting at first. weight watchers might be easier, i dont know because ive never used that plan. if you go to calorie counting, you need a good site where you can journal and find calorie counts in the foods you eat. i use my-calorie-counter.com, but i know other girls use the daily plate, or spark people. once you get in the habit it really does become second nature and gets much easier.

eating out often can be a problem in any plan, like heather said. restaurants give big portions and usually appetizers/desserts and their food tends to be high in fat and calories. there are ways around this but if you're really serious about losing weight, you'll probably have to cut down on the eating out!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #11  

Thank you Heather. That sounds like a great place to start. I love your before and after pictures. I want to do that too, one day!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #12  

Thank you juliastl27. I need to look at how much I eat out. I think this might be the cause of alot of hidden calories. I tend to read "blah CHICKEN with blah blah" instead of "Fried Chicken with French Fries". And chicken is GOOD for you! Maybe I should be paying attention to the other words more.
I might start with cutting my servings in half. I come from the Clean Plate Club, so just doing this will be a big step!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #13  

misskimothy -- Making small changes and building on them is a good way to start!

And you CAN do it!!!!!
Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 PM   #14  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

When I eat out I always split an entree with DH or, if not possible - I ask for a carryout container when I order the food. I then box up at least half of the food for later. Out-of-sight is usually out-of-mouth.

I also customize most of the food I order. Sauces/dressings on the side (if at all). Grilled vegetables instead of fried. Most restaurants have a healthy or "lite" menu.
Another option is to order a half-order of something. Often it isn't listed on the menu, but is available if you ask.

Feel free to ask for substitutions - vegetables/side salad/fruit instead of fries for example.

DH and I travel as much as we can and eat out regularly. You can calorie count and change your lifestlyle - it just takes some information gathering and commitment
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:58 PM   #15  

Thank you CountingDown. Sometimes it is HARD at restaurants because we love to eat out at Italian places and Vietamese/Thai places so substitutions are hard and calorie counts just aren't there if it is a small family run place. This is no excuse is it. I need to substitute entire dishes for better ones.

Time to research!