Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Height: 5'6

Default It kind of slapped me in the face today

I've been lurking online all day today unable to face it until now...

For the past few years I've had unstable work/insurance and the entire time I have had shortness of breath when laying down (any position, even when on an incline). So finally, thanks to the new job, I went through an entire run of tests. The great news is that I am quite healthy - no heart, sleep apnea or lung issues. Slightly high LDL is the only negative. So, quite obviously pointed out by my Dr., I need to lose weight. The reason I can't sleep well at night, am so lethargic, can't focus during the day, trip across everything and run into walls is... I'm overweight. That's all.

That should be good news, I already knew it. But for some reason it felt like a slap in the face all day today. I've been making small changes in my diet for a long time now and have lost 8 pounds in the past 4 months. I guess that is good when only half paying attention. But now that I know that I NEED to, I am having a very difficult time facing it. To be truthful, it makes me want to raid my fiance's birthday cake sitting in the fridge.

So here is where I start to face reality and I am glad to be in a place where it won't seem quite as lonely. I'm looking forward to reading more about everyone's experiences.

Cheers
xicalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:40 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Oh, I'm sorry it hit you so hard.

This is a great place for support! Get started now and show off at your next physical! As many of us here say, the year will pass either way. A year from now, won't it be great to go back and flaunt your healthy new weight?

BTW, the last time I went to the doctor, I asked for blood work to see if my unhealthy waist/hip ration might be caused by high cortisol or whatnot. I mentioned that I'd be happy at my weight if I were a different shape. The gobstruck expression on his face at that remark would have been comical if I hadn't felt so offended.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 244/226/140

Height: 5'3"

Hello xicalinda, welcome to forum. You maybe don't realize, but you are lucky, that you have such a doctor. It's still better saying you need to lose weight, than saying nothing. My doctor weighs about 300 lbs, it's obvious she never told me to lose weight (not that I ever wanted to hear it).
ayumukasuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:23 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Hi and welcome.

Don't lurk, join right in. You'll get lots of support and more ideas here. Pop in every day, we'll help you stay on track.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Hi and welcome! I am glad you are joining us; you will like it here--lots of great advice, support, information, and friendship.

I wish you the best on your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:41 AM   #6  
No description available.

Welcome!! I'm glad you've joined!! Post often! And congrats on the 8 lbs....that's nothing to sneeze at!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 AM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Glad you joined us!
What GREAT news - your health and quality of life is TOTALLY in your hands - literally
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:14 AM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC!

Good luck with your goals

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Welcome and good luck !
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

I don't have anything to add, I just wanted to give you a welcome!
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 206.2/201/145

Height: 5.875

I totally get this. Welcome to reality and congratulations on the 8 pounds. That is exactly the weight loss recommended by my doctor - a mere 1/2 pound a week and he says you will keep it off for life. I'm an overachiever, though, so I'm aiming for 1 pound a week =)
Buttercup73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #12  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

awww im so glad you joined! even though the "slaps in the face" are disconcerting, sometimes we need them! i was always terrified to see 200 on the scale. when i finally weighed myself and saw not just 200, but 220, it was like the scale came to life and slapped me.

you'll get lots of support here!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 211/211/150

Height: 5'6

Thank you all so much. I am thankful that I was forced to take notice now instead of later. After more reflection and reading all the encouraging posts I am more ready than ever to take this on. Thanks!
xicalinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:25 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 301/284/220

Height: 5'5"

Default not alone.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xicalinda View Post
I've been lurking online all day today unable to face it until now...

For the past few years I've had unstable work/insurance and the entire time I have had shortness of breath when laying down (any position, even when on an incline). So finally, thanks to the new job, I went through an entire run of tests. The great news is that I am quite healthy - no heart, sleep apnea or lung issues. Slightly high LDL is the only negative. So, quite obviously pointed out by my Dr., I need to lose weight. The reason I can't sleep well at night, am so lethargic, can't focus during the day, trip across everything and run into walls is... I'm overweight. That's all.

That should be good news, I already knew it. But for some reason it felt like a slap in the face all day today. I've been making small changes in my diet for a long time now and have lost 8 pounds in the past 4 months. I guess that is good when only half paying attention. But now that I know that I NEED to, I am having a very difficult time facing it. To be truthful, it makes me want to raid my fiance's birthday cake sitting in the fridge.

So here is where I start to face reality and I am glad to be in a place where it won't seem quite as lonely. I'm looking forward to reading more about everyone's experiences.

Cheers
Hi....just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I gained about 60 pounds in the 4 years since I met my bf. In that time I started noticing a decrease in activity tolerance, more frequent backaches, worsening reflux, and sore joints. I took more meds, changed shoes, added cushioned insoles....and realized one day I needed to take off some weight.

You are right it is really hard. We have been at SB for 4 weeks. I am proud of my accomplishment. We went off of it last night for a dinner with bf's dad and grandma. Plus his youngest's bday cake/birthday celebration. I tried to stay as close as I could. I drank regular coffee, ate cake and ice cream and had regular potatoes. Today my cravings are horrible....and I am having a hard time convincing myself I need to go back to SB. Especially with the cherry kringle bf's dad brought us right in front of the computer.....and I already ate a piece of cake today.

It is hard to make a change.....but it does feel good. And there will be days you will want to cheat or eat everything you haven't been. Trust me, I know how that feels. I have self medicated for years with food. It is my #1 friend, lover, counselor, co conspirator.....you get my drift?

My point you ask? You started a change, that is huge! You should be proud. Do some research, decided if there is a plan that is right for you, and continue to make changes. Even if it just continues to be small changes. You will be happy you did. And remember.....there will be bad days. If you fall off the horse, climb on the next day. Don't beat yourself up about it.....remember why you made the change. That is all I am thinking about now....tomorrow it is back to SB, and I am focused on what I will do tomorrow to make sure I stick to that plan.

GOod luck!
obnurseonsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 02:16 PM   #15  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Hello, xicalinda, and welcome to the forums. So glad you joined. When I was diagnosed with the big D (diabetes), it was a cold slap across the face for me, too. But, it's what got me motivated to change my lifestyle for the better and now I like where my life is headed. Good luck in achieving your goals.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote