100 lb. Club - Does anyone know how alcohol affects your weight loss?

hpnodat
09-17-2009, 08:58 PM
I haven't had any adult beverages since I started my new lifestyle. I want to have a couple of drinks tonight and I have budgeted my calories for it in advance but I just want to know how it affects weight loss because I really don't know.

Any opinions or articles are welcome.

Onederchic
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I wish I could help ya but I don't drink alcohol at all, sorry :|

That said, I would think if you have budgeted it into your calories for the day it should be okay..? Or so I think anyway ..

findingfawn
09-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I wish I could help ya but I don't drink alcohol at all, sorry :|

That said, I would think if you have budgeted it into your calories for the day it should be okay..? Or so I think anyway ..

Couldn't have said it better myself.

hpnodat
09-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Well, yeah. I know it will be ok because I have budgeted for it. But I always thought alcohol could affect your weight loss in a bad way. Like causing you to stall or something. But I'm not real sure about that. It's just hearsay.

I guess I will find out huh? lol

Aclai4067
09-17-2009, 09:20 PM
I've heard some people say alcohol makes them retain water. Personally, my weight is usually down the morning after I drink (it's a very temporary drop and then returns to normal). As long as I budget my points (WW) I haven't had any problems.

I think the problem some people have isn't the alcohol itself as much as the "drunk munchies." In the wrong environment, with enough alcohol, my plan goes right out the window!

hpnodat
09-17-2009, 09:51 PM
Oh yeah, I agree on the drunk munchies. lol Been there, done that.
But I don't really drink enough these days for that to happen anymore. Usually the most I drink now is about 4 drinks, 2 on average.

I was actually going to make myself a strawberry daiquiri. My own Low cal version. Made with strawberry crystal light and real strawberries. :D

DCHound
09-17-2009, 09:56 PM
This is not a yes or no question. Alcohol affects everyone differently. I can't have it, personally, if I want to lose weight. But I'm super-sensitive to carbs and sugar. YMMV.

traci in training
09-17-2009, 10:06 PM
:lol::lol: drunk munchies! That's me!

GirlyGirlSebas
09-17-2009, 10:19 PM
The sugar stalls my weight loss if I have too many alchoholic beverages within a week. One or two doesn't seem to cause any problems.

gardenerjoy
09-17-2009, 10:22 PM
I have one drink a week (a mojito that I make from mint in my garden). It's working for me, but before I put that in my plan, I really searched my soul to make sure that one drink wouldn't trigger either more eating or more drinking. From the soul search, I realized that I have lots of triggers (doughnuts, potato chips, commercial pizza), but alcohol isn't a trigger for me. I confidently put it in my plan and it's been fine.

tiffany0809
09-17-2009, 10:26 PM
Alcohol has a lot of sugar in it (from what I've heard). I used to drink at least 1 glass of wine most nights and I cut it out for a couple weeks. I dropped another 5 lbs. But I'm sure it affects everyone differently and if you've already budgeted for it in your daily calorie intake you should be ok. I definitely wasn't taking it into consideration before I cut it out for a while.

nelie
09-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Beyond the calories in alcohol, I've also heard that it slows your metabolism.

starfishkitty
09-18-2009, 01:23 AM
I'd say its a mix of everything one's sad above: slows the metabolism, causes drunk munchies, high in carbs and sugar..... but the one that really gets me is the water retention.

Now that I've been on track for the past 4 or 5 months, I've drank twice I think and each time I put on about a pound or two in water weight that came off within two days as long as I went right back on my plan (and even after I allowed our late night traditional Whitecastle run, surprisingly).

When it all comes down to it, I think it's okay to have that fun night every now and then.... the little bit of weight and/or water weight you put on from that one night will come right back off if you stick to your other plan. :shrug: Does for me anyways.

Thighs Be Gone
09-18-2009, 01:27 AM
red wine is a good choice..great for antioxidants...just measure..

if you are into cocktails how about tequila, fresca and lemon juice? It suits me fine and tequila is less than 100 cal an ounce.

Thighs Be Gone
09-18-2009, 01:27 AM
just make sure you dont get drunk enough to start eating bad stuff!

Suezeeque
09-18-2009, 04:30 AM
I was just reading tonight that alcohol affects the levels of the several hormones that control our appetite. In other words, it can make you hungry! So, the comments on "drunk munchies" were right on target. This was from a doctor who is an expert on obesity and is researching hormone levels in obese people and why they are not the same as in normal weight people; and what can be done to control those levels so they function properly and turn off our appetite at the right time.

Stella
09-18-2009, 07:44 AM
I never was a big drinker but did not want to give up alcohol altogether. I however switched to drinks which are less sweet (I`m watching sugar and GI), e.g. I drink white wine spritzers instead of red wine and vodka instead of amaretto and other sweet things.

daniela
09-18-2009, 12:21 PM
There was a recent thread about this:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/181544-false-low-scale.html

My 2 cents:
When I drink (rarely nowadays even though I have mini alcohol bottles in my new avatar hehe). The next day my weight goes down by at least 2 - 3 lbs. Then the 2nd day after drinking my weight will shoot up 5 - 6 lbs (hence the fact that I rarely drink now). It will take me a week sometimes to get back to the weight I was the morning before I drank. This will happen even if I only have 2 drinks...it really sucks!

hpnodat
09-18-2009, 10:00 PM
Thank you all for your posts. I found the information that I was looking for if you are interested in reading about it I've included several links.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/alcohol.htm
http://www.medicinenet.com/alcohol_and_nutrition/article.htm
http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/alcohol.html
http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=563

traci in training
09-19-2009, 12:52 AM
I had *hic* just two mmmmmargaritas tonight *hic* and I'm reallyquitesure *hic* that the basket of chips that disappeared *hic* fell on the floor and not down my throat! I made a good choice and ate the chicken fajitas without the extras, but really, the basket of chips had already vanished by that point, so I'm not sure that still qualifies as a good choice!

Of course, *hic* they were REALLY good!

caryesings
09-19-2009, 05:37 PM
I think the problem some people have isn't the alcohol itself as much as the "drunk munchies." In the wrong environment, with enough alcohol, my plan goes right out the window!

What she said, I can budget the alcohol into my day, but not the let down of my defenses!

LeiLah913
09-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I disagree with a lot of the things on here..
1. Budgeting your calories when it comes to alcohol is not necessarily the best idea if you are strictly calorie counting.. Everyone has heard the term 'empty calories'. Make sure you get all enough calories from protein fats and carbs. The alcohol has no nutritional value.
2. Be sure to make good choices if you are going to drink. I personally drink ketel 1 and soda when I'm drinking which is about 80-90 calories per drink. Mixing liquor with sugary mixers is not the best idea.
3. I agree that everyone is different bc I drink a few drinks a few nights a week and have not been counting them in my calories so I can get all the nutrients I need, but I do up my cardio to accout for the extra calories. (since I started my diet I have lost on average 2lbs a week and have drank about the same as before.

I hope this was helpful :)

hpnodat
09-20-2009, 12:51 PM
I dunno, calories are still calories and I believe they should still be counted even if they are empty or not. I agree with upping the cardio to burn off the extra calories. :) Budgeting empty calories for me is something I have to do because if I go and start eating or drinking something I haven't budgeted for it sets me up for disaster.

But after my little experiment, I payed very special attention to how it made my body react.

I had 2 drinks on Friday night. Both were my own version of a strawberry daiquiri. I used strawberry crystal light, 3 oz rum, ice and 1/2 cup frozen strawberries. It came up to be right at 225 calories for both drinks.
It was very yummy and perfect for a special occasion.

I noticed right after my second drink I started getting munchy. I never noticed that before while drinking. I think I said before that I usually don't get munchy any more, but I was wrong! I ended up popping a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and munched on that, which was still fine cause I budgeted that as well. ;)

So Saturday morning I woke up and felt bloated and uncomfortable. The first thing I noticed was when I went to the bathroom to do my bizness, I only peed just a little and it was pretty concentrated in color. I hopped on the scale and I was up 2 lbs. All this despite the fact that I drank extra water on Friday because I thought the alcohol might make me dehydrated and I was right. Not only was I dehydrated but I was also retaining 2 lbs of water. :mad:
I go on with my day yesterday and I tried to eat very clean calories and lots and lots a water so I could help flush all of that out of my body. I woke up this morning and I still feel bloated and uncomfortable and I still am up 2 lbs.

So I've learned a lesson from it all anyway! I've decided to only have alcohol for very special occasions. I don't like how it makes my body react. I'll probably wait about a month and try this again just to see if I react the same way.