LA Weight Loss - how do you eat your oatmeal

View Full Version : how do you eat your oatmeal

raygunclan
09-17-2009, 08:54 AM
so...

i have been putting off integrating oatmeal into my diet. i am on the 6th day (i think:dizzy:) of phase 1.

last night, as i cooked my homemade chicken basil tortellini served with my homemade sauce that i made earlier in the week (which is why i look like a pear with boobs) i decided to cook up the irish oats that i bought from my grocery last week.

buh-lechk!!!:barf:

so i added a little cinnamon.

so i added a little honey.

and then i finished it up. well, almost.

can anyone please help me figger out how to make them at least edible? i don't think i can do it again!!!

thanks smashers!!!

amkenkent
09-17-2009, 10:25 AM
I use 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup and cut up a banana into it. I LOVE IT that way. I do WW and the oatmeal (2), syrup (1), and banana (2) is a nice filling 5 pt breakfast.

My friend who also does WW swears by adding in 1/2 cup applesauce (1 pt). But I tried it two different times and thought it was awful that way. But she loves it.

I don't know why you are adding oatmeal, but also look into farina (cream of wheat). The nutritional value is similar (and has the same # of pts), so I like to switch them around when I get tired of one. I eat it the same way...with the syrup and banana.

raygunclan
09-17-2009, 12:17 PM
i wonder, though, if this would work for the fat smash diet? i will have to check my applesauce, but i think it has added sugar. but if worse comes to worse, i will just add some apple to the oats as they are cooking! (c:
thanks for the help!

MaryEllen
09-17-2009, 02:59 PM
I mix my daily allotment of oatmeal with my daily allotment of yogurt (low fat vanilla), along with a banana and sometimes strawberries, and I bring it to school with me and eat it a couple hours later. It's my FAVORITE way to eat the oatmeal and the yogurt (I mix the yogurt with Life cereal sometimes in Phase 2 as well) and it's delicious. Also it doesn't really need to be refrigerated if you don't have access, like me.

wurdnerd
09-17-2009, 03:31 PM
I don't do artificial sweeteners, so my favorite way is to add chopped dates and chopped nuts to the oats as they cook, maybe some vanilla and cinnamon for variety. Yummy.

I've also tried the applesauce thing, but it's very tart and begs for sugar.

Frozen sweet dark cherries are very sweet, so try adding those. I mix them in yogurt or cottage cheese, and they are wonderful.

As a last thought, try making oats savory instead of sweet. Season them up like you would rice or barley. Worth a shot.

raygunclan
09-17-2009, 09:32 PM
savory oatmeal! the thought has never crossed my mind. i will have to give that a try! since i am still in phase 1 the nuts arent' going to work for me, but tossing them in a smoothie is a great idea as well.
i think some of my problem was maybe the oats that i got. i got the irish oatmeal and it was unlike any i had ever seen before. i think i just need to stick to the quaker.
thanks for helping!

Miss Coco
09-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I hate oatmeal with a passion! I just have it in a smoothie for breakfast, yoghurt, milk, a banana and whatever berries I have in the house, blend for a couple of minutes to make it nice a smooth, yummy!

Me Too
09-19-2009, 01:07 PM
I put I can believe its not butter spray(5 sprays) and 1t splenda brown sugar on my oatmeal. YUM
I make steel oats in my pressure cooker about 3 times a week.

raygunclan
09-21-2009, 09:29 AM
ok. i just put about 2 tablespoons into a smoothie. the smoothie is deliciousbut the oats are odd. i know you're not supposed to chew smoothies (stop laughing) but i feel the need with this smoothie. although, i'm afraid if i do, i might break a tooth!
so i guess my question is...
should i cook the darn oats before i add to my smoothie?

JulieJ08
09-21-2009, 11:57 AM
ok. i just put about 2 tablespoons into a smoothie. the smoothie is deliciousbut the oats are odd. i know you're not supposed to chew smoothies (stop laughing) but i feel the need with this smoothie. although, i'm afraid if i do, i might break a tooth!
so i guess my question is...
should i cook the darn oats before i add to my smoothie?

Did you grind them into a powder first?

raygunclan
09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
no, but that sounds like it would have been a good idea.:censored:

borntobefine
09-22-2009, 04:00 PM
I put frozen berries, a little water and a little protein powder in the blender and then pour it on the oatmeal when I cook with a little water. It will be sweet naturally because of the fruit.

You can also use spices such as nutmeg, cinamon and cloves or it.

You can also add a little fruit juice or fruit concentrate to it. Or a sugarless jam or some such.

twilightmom78
09-30-2009, 04:16 PM
I use 1/4 cup of sugar free syrup and cut up a banana into it. I LOVE IT that way. I do WW and the oatmeal (2), syrup (1), and banana (2) is a nice filling 5 pt breakfast.

My friend who also does WW swears by adding in 1/2 cup applesauce (1 pt). But I tried it two different times and thought it was awful that way. But she loves it.

I don't know why you are adding oatmeal, but also look into farina (cream of wheat). The nutritional value is similar (and has the same # of pts), so I like to switch them around when I get tired of one. I eat it the same way...with the syrup and banana.

You mentioned syrup....i have sugar free syrup...is that acceptable? Plain oatmeal makes me gag, so im hoping i can add syrup and some splenda brown sugar *fingers crossed*

twilightmom78
10-03-2009, 09:39 AM
i hate plain oatmeal, it activates my gag refelx just thinking about it but i made some yesterday and added some splenda and a bit of cinnamon, it was pretty tasty. Oh and there is also a pancake mix that is oatmeal. It makes very nice dense pancakes (im eating them now with veggie sausage) and they are really good, i didnt even doctor them at all. Im getting used to being "a vegatarian" and its not so bad, especially since they have non meat meat on the market. I almost dont know the difference.

And about the sugarless syrup...i hope its acceptable, i have been using it. And to be honest, i would rather break a small rule to make the diet food palatable, than go back to eating the way i used to because i cant stomach plain oats and such.

raygunclan
10-06-2009, 09:04 AM
i found this link. it gives some pretty good ideas to dress up your oatmeal:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/332675

MICNIK
10-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Made oatmeal for breakfast this morning....it was so horrible!!! I actually ended up throwing 3/4 of it out. Tried to sweeten it a little with a packet of splenda and I cooked it with some diced peaches...and it didnt help!! It was sooooo gross!!

Think tomorrow I am going to grind some up and make a banana yogurt smoothie. This way I get my yogurt, fruit and oatmeal all in one dose.

raygunclan
10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
good luck with that. it made my smoothie not so smoothie. i think next time i want to eat oatmeal, i'm going to cook it and THEN add it to my smoothie.
let me know how yours comes out. (c:

MICNIK
10-08-2009, 02:25 PM
OH GEEZ....I hope it tastes good cause I dont know what other way to eat it!!

I will let you know.

ladyrider72472
10-08-2009, 02:29 PM
I eat my oatmeal with a WW yogurt stirred IN it..... I know it doesn't sound the best to eat hot yogurt.... but if you get the Boston Cream Pie it tastes like chocolate cereal.

raygunclan
10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
i swear i never would have thought that eating oatmeal would be the hardest part of this diet. well, that and the "no avocado!!!" rule.

Matilda08
10-09-2009, 08:53 AM
I eat mine with yogurt as well and it taste pretty good plus I add cinnimon to it

Stella
10-09-2009, 09:16 AM
I put it in my home made muesli and eat it cold, with milk or yoghurt.

Lishusc
10-15-2009, 10:26 PM
I think these are steel cut oats that you speak of? If so you have to use a little more water and they cook longer than the regular oats but are said to be better for you, as for taste I'm not sure what to suggest for you being an oatmeal lover I have gotten to the point that I can eat them with nothing but a little sweetner, milk, and a 1/2 pat of butter or sub. should do the trick. Some people tend to cook them and eat them with the same amount of milk as they use in cereal. Also experiment with different levels of being done you may like them a little more chewy of a little more on the soft side. Goodluck:carrot:

kristen0430
10-15-2009, 10:48 PM
I LOVE oatmeal! I just eat it plain. You could try pureeing fruit to mix in with it or drown it in as much milk as possible!

Hamoco350
10-16-2009, 04:41 AM
Plain with skim milk, but sometimes I'll add some fresh fruit. :) I think oatmeal has a lovely taste.

Hamoco350
10-16-2009, 04:42 AM
I don't like my oats granola-like and chewy though. I usually go for a soft consistency, which is quite nice with frozen banana chunks.

Me Too
10-20-2009, 07:07 AM
I put splenda brown sugar and ICBINB spray on my oatmeal, or blueberries. Found a new way well to me anyway. 1/2 mashed banana and a dash of cinnamon YUM.
I like cream of wheat cooked with milk and raisins too so i may be a little weird. Are raisins OK on Phase 1?

kristen0430
10-20-2009, 08:05 PM
I think raisins should be fine. lol I HOPE because I have been eating them!

raygunclan
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
i had cream of wheat the other day with a spot of honey (i know, i know.). i had forgotten how much i like that stuff!!!

Brook506
10-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I use a cup of oats with 1 cup fat free milk then cut up a banana while the oatmeal is still hot. Once the banana is warm it is sooo tasty but I think the oatmeal in general is an acquired taste. When I first started this diet I could not stand the oatmeal but I have learned to enjoy it.

Me Too
10-21-2009, 09:21 PM
Wasn't there Cream of Rice at one time too?
I seem to remember my Auntie fixing it for me.

MaryEllen
10-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Raisins technically AREN'T ok because they are a dried fruit, but I eat them too. haha

LookingForMeAgain
12-02-2009, 11:05 AM
When they say you can have 1 cup of oats per day do they mean 1 cup prepared so 1/2 cup dry?
I love oats I use to have to have milk and loads of sugar to eat them but since Im not a big veggie eater and I needed something hardy during the day the last time I did FS I would have my yogurt and oats for breakfast and lunch! I do as other posters and mix my yogurt into my oats with some cinnamon too. Yum!
But I was eating 2 cups prepared so 1 cup dry then and now Im thinking maybe that was wrong?