Old 09-16-2009, 10:08 PM   #1  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Default Questions about water

I have a couple questions that I'm hoping some of you can answer:

- does it make a difference as to whether you drink regular tap/bottled water or carbonated/sparkling water? (just water, no additives)

- when you retain water (like at TOM) what purpose does drinking more water serve?

Thanks!
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:35 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 288/seeticker/140

Height: 5'4"

So far as I heard, water is water and if you need the carbonation to get it down its alright diet wise (your dentist might not like it much, mines against it because he said it errods tooth enamel) .
As far as drinking more water during TOM and other times we retain, it helps "flush" out the retaining water by increasing your intake; it helps flush out sodium, minreals and toxins in our bodies that cause us to hold even more water. Being well hydrated also helps your body function more smoothly making retention less of an issue. If you do retain at TOM it may not be immediate but when you do see the gush of water weight come off (on average from this forum, I gather its about day 3 of TOM) it'll be worth the extra H2O!!

Last edited by TaraLee; 09-16-2009 at 10:36 PM.
TaraLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Water retention can be cause by lots of different things--some of which are quite serious (as in something's wrong with your kidney's so if you have a chronic problem you should see a doctor or a health practitioner.

But water retention caused by too much salt is actually a symptom of being dehydrated--your body is hanging on to all the water molecules it can--and it isn't going to let those suckers go until there's more. I may not be understanding it right--but that's why I think water helps flush it out. I'm not sure why the body retains water during TOM, that's due to hormones and such--but the body is still retaining it and the retention causes the bloat.

And it doesn't matter whether it is carbonated or whatever--it could even be tea. Research findings lately show that "an adequate intake of fluid" doesn't mean only water--but it IS the gentlest thing on your body--and it is quite filling. I have been noticing that if I don't drink my four pints a day, I start having cravings.

ETA: Nice to "see" you, litchick, you look lovely.

Last edited by Alana in Canada; 09-16-2009 at 11:47 PM. Reason: added ETA
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 06:54 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

1. Not really.

2. Flushes out the excess sodium that is causing water retention.

Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #5  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Thanks for the responses, that helps a lot!

I drink regular water during the day, but at home, since I have mostly given up diet soda (except for occasionally out at restaurants or something), but I miss the 'fizz' aspect, so I drink carbonated water.

I don't tend to retain water at any other time other than TOM, when I tend to gain a pound or so (and then drop it once it's over). I didn't realize drinking more than my usual amount of water would perhaps help that.

And Alana, thanks! It's always nice to put faces to names, and I figured it was time for a new one of me.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote