Old 09-16-2009, 02:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Default weight loss ?

Just started my diet (Induction phase) mid-day on Monday. I'm on my TOM now, I've lost 1.5 lbs not sure if it was from the Low Cal diet I was on before that. All I know is that last month after my TOM I barely lost .5 lb. So is it too soon to see results from being on atkins?
I only have 25 lbs to get to my goal weight. How much do women with this amount to lose, really lose during this time?
Why is it encouraged to take vitamins and drink water while on the diet? I have upped my water drinking to 2 cups a day and am still trying to increase it more. I'm not a vitamin taker and wouldn't know what would be the best to get. Any suggestions? I'm 34 y/o
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:24 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 191/191/160

Hi mom4life!
I as well started Mid-Monday and have 28 pounds to loose, have not weighed myself, just incase(dont want to get discouraged.)
Having said that, Welcome and I would also like to know how much weight more or less can I loose.
This is just me but, I really think that water is very important to drink even if your not on a diet.
Good luck to you, and also if you dont mind, would like to know your progress.
layddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to the both of you! With all due respect, if you both only started Atkins mid-day on Monday, looking for instant results may only discourage you, particularly if you are at TOM. There are many factors to be considered when it comes to weight loss....age, how much weight you have to lose, what weight you started out at to begin with, activity level, foods you are eating, how much water you are drinking etc. Safe weight loss is 1-2 lbs. per week. Since no 2 people are the same, there is no cookie cutter amount each individual will lose.
As for vitamins, the proper vitamins & minerals are important, especially for women. You may want to look into a woman's multi formula.
It is also very important you keep your body hydrated, which is why it is recommended you drink at least eight 8oz. glasses of water a day.
I hope this helps
All the best to the both of you!!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #4  

Great thanks.
I've noticed in the past couple months that weight loss was slow, must be age. I know I got a long ways to go but I'm not going anywhere. With diabetes in both of my husbands' and my families, we want to change our eating habits and set our children on the right path.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:19 PM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Rachel,
Just out of curiousity, have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? If not, you really should educate yourself about this plan and why it works when its done correctly
Old 09-16-2009, 04:44 PM   #6  

I ordered it and should be getting it in soon. I've been doing lots of reading till I get it. Mainly the Victoria Atkin site.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:08 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

These articles will explain why drinking water is so important & how much you should be drinking everyday
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
http://nutrition.about.com/library/b...calculator.htm
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 219.3/196.3/147

Height: 5'2"

In the first week, most weight lost is water weight.

If you are doing the atkins plan I really recommend you buy the book, it has all the info you need right in there.

I remember someone on a low carb forum saying the other day, atkins is designed to get you to a healthy weight, not a thin/unhealthy weight. So because you don't have an awful amount to lose, you might find you lose slower than say someone who has 60lbs to lose.

No matter what weight you started at, everyone experiences slower weight loss the closer they get to goal.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

I am not doing atkins, but my own low carb plan (around 40 - 60g carbs a day)... I also have to watch my calories (some people do) and I have lost just over 5lbs in just over a week... of course I know it's water weight, but it's nice to see -5 on the scales lol.

Last edited by KittyKat; 09-19-2009 at 09:17 AM.
KittyKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 155/150/130

I'm on my own low carb plan as well. Currently I have stalled but I think it is because I need to do more exercise. I am feeling a burning feeling everyday in my arms and legs. Does that mean that my body is burning fat? I don't know but I have already been getting compliments that I look like I have lost some weight. So I will not only be going by the scale but by the way I look and feel in my clothes.
ShesHot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 05:20 PM   #10  

I did buy they book I'm just waiting for it to come in {{frustrating}}
I know what you mean, losing weight even though its water weight is always good to see.
Even while on the Low Cal diet, I was just as shocked at how many calories I was consuming in a day. Same thing is true for the Low Carb diet. Now when I look at a bag of chips or a can of veggies and see how many carbs are in it, its shocking.....It could be my whole Carb allowance for one day all in one serving. Just by going by the foods I have at home, its clear all will have to be donated to some food bank because its just all loaded with corn starch and who knows what other junk.
We'll be shopping at more local farms and whole foods stores from now on.