Does it Work? - Jillian Michaels Program(s) - Do they work?

MixedSoul
09-16-2009, 12:44 AM
Hey everyone,
I have been out of the literal loop lately, and was watching TV the other night and saw that Jillian Michaels (yes, ms. Biggest-Loser herself!) on tv promoting a new fatburning program!!???
My first thought was "has the world really gone mad now!? the queen of exercise is hawking pills!!!"
Has anyone tried the program? Im curious, because Im not sure how long its been around, if its new, or has been out the past couple of months and Ive just missed it!

I have her 30-day shred dvd, which I havent used yet, but I intend to start tomorrow! (Will let you know how that works out)

Hoping everyone is reaching their goals!
Crystal

mandalinn82
09-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Her exercise programs DO work, for sure. Good results, because she kicks your butt.

Her pills MAY work, short term, but I have some issues with them. Specifically, with some of the ingredients. The ones I find mildly objectionable are those that aren't proven to be effective, or that may be dangerous for some individuals (White willow bark, etc). The ones I find outright irresponsible are those that can be found on the "Dirty Dozen" supplement list...the list of supplements that a major consumer group concluded are really so unsafe they should not be on the market (bitter orange).

I was really disappointed that she came out with a pill at all, but even moreso when I saw her ads (full of the same pseudo-scientific mumbo jumbo of all weight loss pill ads) and looked at the ingredients. Weight loss is possible without supplements that can cost you money and, worst case, health. Why bother?

milesofsmiles
09-19-2009, 12:18 AM
I saw these ads full force lately on TV, magazines, etc.... I too, have heard the ingredients are not good. I thought for a few moments, maybe I'll try it? But then came back to reality and decided, why spend money on another gimmick?

Instead, I bought a professional gym elliptical trainer (used) and of course still have my gym membership, just in case.

Smilette31
09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
Do the pill bottles scream at you and call you names while you work out too?? hehehehe :)

Onederchic
09-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Do the pill bottles scream at you and call you names while you work out too?? hehehehe :)

:rofl:

xicalinda
09-21-2009, 05:09 PM
I'd be hesitant about a pill and I agree, it doesn't seem right that she's pushing them...

I LOVE the 30-day-shred. It's tough at first but after a few days of it you see fast results in your strength and endurance so it gets "easier". If hearing "If you are looking for a modification for a jumping jack you won't find one. I have 400 lb people who can do jumping jacks, so can you," is easy for ya :)

Smilette31
09-21-2009, 05:17 PM
:rofl:

I'm just wondering? LOL. I mean, she basically is screaming in the commercials ... so maybe there's a little recording attached to the inside of the pill bottle. When you pop the lid off it screams, " GET ME IN YOUR BELLY NOW OR GET OUT OF MY FACE!!! "

SheilaB
09-23-2009, 12:05 AM
I haven't tried her pills...nor do I intend to, but I did join her website and it helped me lose 19 pounds. It's not easy...a definite lifestyle change. Change in eating, change in the way you think, and lots of exercise. If you think 30 day shred is bad, try one of her circuit trainings. I don't know why she came up with pills, when her online program works so well. There are lots of people on there who have lost well over 75 pounds.

Sheila

Hamoco350
09-23-2009, 12:44 AM
We sell those at work (GNC) .. in fact, I sold some of it today.

I'm not sure if they work or not, to be honest. I'll check out the ingredidents and compare it some of the other supplements. :)

I love The Biggest Loser, though!! :D

PS: They haven't screamd at me yet, so if they don't scream at me, they sure as heck won't scream at anyone else! Mwahaha

Smilette31
09-23-2009, 10:46 PM
PS: They haven't screamd at me yet, so if they don't scream at me, they sure as heck won't scream at anyone else! Mwahaha

Ha Ha! Good to hear!! :)

BettyBooty
09-24-2009, 12:46 PM
is anyone else disappointed Jillian Michaels is hawking some these days?

http://www.gnc.com/search/index.jsp?kw=jillian&f=Brand%2F1015762%2F&fbc=1&fbn=Brand|JILLIAN+MICHAELS

I may not follow her diet book or workout, but the Biggest Loser (at least what they edit/show on TV) is all about making lifestyle changes and reaping benefits through hard work and discipline.

This is pretty shady IMHO.

Jokan
09-24-2009, 01:34 PM
I totally agree, I am so disappointed!!!! She is a marketing who*e. She no longer cares about the people just the profit. I have totally turned against her. When they tried to bring the new trainer Kim on I was so upset but at this point I would take anyone over Jillian.

sh3l5
10-04-2009, 04:54 AM
what about her wii program? is that worth investing in?

nelie
10-04-2009, 10:48 AM
The reviews on amazon for the Wii program are horrid. Most people say save your money.

sh3l5
10-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Ye I looked at the game on amazon and read them, which is why I thought I would ask. Are her fitness programs any good? Such as the 30 day shread? Would it be easy to go into that as a complete restarter to exercise?

Rebound
10-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Ye I looked at the game on amazon and read them, which is why I thought I would ask. Are her fitness programs any good? Such as the 30 day shread? Would it be easy to go into that as a complete restarter to exercise?

I wholeheartedly recommend the 30 Day Shred program. It's great!

Sylvied
10-06-2009, 11:42 AM
I'd say her videos are good. She can definitely choreograph a tough yet doable workout. She's frank in her approach but not so screamy as on Biggest Loser. She's also not perky which I appreciate at 6:00 am. She takes a minimalist approach to equipment too which I enjoy as my yoga mat and 5 lb weights don't take up too much space.They're also affordable (for those of us trying to lose weight on a shoestring budget).

As for the rest of it... I'm less enthusiastic.

I'm on her email mailing list and sometimes I find her tips and tricks useful. Most of the time they're just common sense though. I have yet to try any of the recipes.

I've read my way through Winning By Losing and it may have been more useful to me right at the beginning of my journey, but other than telling me what kind of oxidizer I am (balanced if you want to know) and offering some recipes that emphasize low fat versions of cheese, I didn't find any information in it that I couldn't find, and hadn't already found, elsewhere. I still intend to read her other two books but I don't plan on buying them...public library all the way.

As for the pills. They just make me roll my eyes and cringe.

I'd say check out the videos if you're looking to try exercise videos because they are good but don't buy the whole Jillian Michaels "package."

pumkin78
10-08-2009, 12:54 AM
I bought her Wii game and don't recommend it. If you want a great Wii workout go for the Wii Active....it is great. I had a trainer for about 2 weeks and this program is exactly what she did with me and I haven't had session that has been over 30mins.

Hamoco350
10-16-2009, 06:04 AM
Well, first of all - we can't keep this crap on the shelves! I've had very little fun at work with vitamins and protein because everyone wants to know about the JM diet pill. We literally have two boxes left, and I bet they're gone by the time I go back to work Saturday.

Mandalinn has truthfully covered the bases - the product does contain white willow bark, which has proven effective for pain in the joints in many studies- but it basically is an aspirin-type med. It's no different than any other crazy pill with a huge promise.

I'm honestly frustrated that someone I sincerely look up to (as a BL fan) would stoop so low. I mean, Jillian supports a healthy lifestyle, working on our own, and dedicating our lives to making good health decisions, and then pushes her diet pills down our throats? I'm just disappointed in her. It's obviously another celeb endorsement deal, and it's really sad. :(

dangerouscurves76
10-16-2009, 06:39 PM
I've tried the 30 Day Shred Program and loved it! Tough but effective. I have to admit that when I opened my magazine and saw Jillian pimping out "diet" pills my heart sank. I am soooooo disappointed that she decided to expand her "brand" this way. Now I have to toss her into the same category with those Kardashian girls. :(

L144S
10-16-2009, 06:55 PM
I joined the website for about a month and found it impossible to navigate and left, I think just before a revamp
as for the pills if anyone listened to her radio show she always promoted supplments and all the stuff in the pills to those that would call in. I don't mind that she is hawking pills, it falls into the whatever catagory for me, buy what you want, but I think the paid website is rediculous as I feel the same about the biggest loser website being a paid site. if the goal is to really help people, why should the best resource for unhealthy people cost so much .

I too get the free email, but like a previous poster said "nothing new' and the info here at 3fc is just fine with me.

Minya
10-18-2009, 09:50 AM
Just thought I'd add in that Jillian has a higher respect from me now because she posts on facebook, (no joke, it's her, not publicist) and she said she won't take on any celebrities to train, she wants to help people like us who do not have millions of dollars. She posted that a few days ago, so I can forgive her for creating a pill line :D Her DVDs work, but try giving her new Wii video game a chance, rent it if you must. But supposedly there have been improvements in the controls which were the bane of the first game. I'll post ratings if I get any at my store on the new one.

lulu2005
10-18-2009, 06:26 PM
I saw this commercial a few days ago, and I am so disappointed. I can't believe that someone who has helped so many people would start recommend something so unhealthy. I love her 30 day shred video! These pills made me lose respect for her, and I wasn't a huge fan in the first place!

fitandfabulousin2009
10-18-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi! I'm over 400 pounds - for those who are using the 30 day shread, can I do this workout ?

fitandfabulousin2009
10-18-2009, 06:42 PM
P.S. I read about Master Your Metabolism diet in First magazine and it gave a sample of foods to eat. For those who have joined the site how has it helped you and how is it different than something else you may have tried? Is it worth the money? Are there quick, easy and delicious recipes or would I have to get a bunch of expensive foods?

TIA!

nelie
10-18-2009, 07:07 PM
fitandfabulous - The 30 day shred is hard but it can be modified to suit almost anyone. Depending on how sedentary you are, I'd recommend skipping the jumping jacks and doing side kicks. Also, instead of running in place, you can walk in place.

ArmyWife02
10-23-2009, 07:08 PM
i didnt like her 2009 wii game, supposedly the new 2010 wii game is better (i plan to RENT it to try before i buy it). But do intend to buy TBL wii game they just made. i think that would be awesome!
I friended her on facebook and it's nice that she posts real stuff and personal pics (of her and her friends, etc) - like a normal person. I think she's great - i am iffy about the pills. but her dvds kick your butt ;) i think to have her as a trainer for even a day would do a world of good to me ;)

MixedSoul
11-10-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey everyone, thanks for the awesome feedback!
I started the 30-day Shred, and it was a little rough, since I have a knee injury.
HOWEVER! I didnt give up on her yet!
I found on ebay, the Jillian Michaels For Beginners set, which works on Back and Front, and its VERY doable!!!!! (TIA I recommend you look into it, because it has been very effective! then build up to the 30-day Shred)
As for the pills, I think Im going to pass for now.
To be frank, the only pills I've used and that actually WORKED for me, are now banned in the US :( sigh
Back to basics I go :)

SpicySiren
02-22-2010, 10:45 AM
I think any kind of "diet pill" is very un-healthy and not the right route to go to. Some vitamins can help keeping your body healthy. I DO however love Jillian's 30 day shred (like most people on here) I will continue to do the videos regardless of her shameless promotion with the diet pills. The reality is, is that she is a celebrity and is probably getting A LOT of money by endorsing the pills. . .the money was her weakness.

Jehnavi
04-14-2010, 08:58 AM
This is my first time trying the jillian pill.. And I am very interested to see how this works... now my earting habbits is on lunch most of the time is alway pollo tropical the white meat , white rice, black beans and corn for dinner I don't really eat much but I eat snacks late sometime I guess what wanna know is what she I eat to make more progress or see the results.

DeJNow
04-27-2010, 05:58 PM
I started doing a Jillian Michaels routine before I switched to P90X.

I actually enjoyed it I just wanted something a little more intense.

In reality any cardio program will work as long as your diet is in check.

MissNibs
05-31-2010, 02:04 PM
I was seriously turned off by her manic and abusive behavior on Biggest Loser a couple years ago already.

When I saw her pitching these pills it just confirmed my opinion about her. Forget it!

MissNibs

MiZTaCCen
07-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I have to say I did the 14 day cleanse and burn and I lost probably 5 pounds off of it and it's still off. That's also on a semi healthy diet and some excersis though. Pills aren't magical and I wanted to try them out. I didn't mind it. But would I buy them again? Naw It was just an experiment thing. I do love her video's though and think those work.

carolr3639
07-13-2010, 10:20 PM
I agree with MissNibs. When I saw a video of her helping some people I couldn't believe it. They were sobbing. I don't think they could stick with that kind of thing for life.

SarahD140
07-13-2010, 10:33 PM
I just started the 30 day shred, never been so sore in my life!!!! But I'm mad at her for promoting pills!!! She use to kind of be a hero... :(

Ricky Ricardo
07-14-2010, 02:20 PM
I was always amused at her abusive attitude and how quickly the contestants began to crave being abused by her. I never once believed she knew anything about diet and nutrition, and this was confirmed when she told a contestant to increase her salt intake to shed pounds. She has her shtick, the poor schmucks on that show fall for it, but she is essentially a poser.

The dummies on that show sign NDA's but a few have come out with tales of urinating blood from dehydration and laxative abuse. The people on that show are in reality, weight loss stunt performers.

I'd post a link to the story regarding the seizures, 911 calls, fainting and other things that go on behind the scenes at The Biggest Loser but I can't until I have 25 posts.

redreine
07-14-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't feel the least bit sorry for anyone sobbing on TBL, or even getting yelled at by Jillian.

I want to be on that show and I want Jillian to bust my a**. Everyone knows what they're getting into with this show and Jillian when they apply. You wouldn't need the show if you hadn't put yourself in that position in the first place.

It drives me crazy to see these people whining and wanting to quit as soon as it gets tough. **** yeah exercise is going to be tougher than watching soap operas and eating a gallon of ice cream!

As for the pills? That sucks. I wish she wasn't a pill pusher, especially since I highly doubt she's a pill popper, but again, we're all adults and we can make our own informed decisions. Quit blaming celebrities, and take responsibility for your own decisions. ;)

JMfan
07-14-2010, 10:32 PM
Her videos...:cp:

Her books...:cp:

Wii game...needs some serious improvement. The interface is screwy with the remote and board. Hope they fix it in 2011.

Pills...eh, no personal experience so I'm no help there.

dcapulet
07-14-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm in the middle of the 30 day shred, and I can tell you that works. Pills, stuff like that -I don't know. But you will work your butt off in that video :)

jilly6
07-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I have the30 day shred and have never tried it. A 300 lbs, I am worried i wold hurt myself. I don't like that she is hawking pills and other crap either. I am not a big fan of hers but an awful lot of peple look up to her and think "it must work and it must be ok for me if Jillian says it is".
I think it is irresponsible on her part.

PaulaM
08-07-2010, 02:54 PM
I just got home from Walmart, where I was looking for protein powder. The only one that didn't have a ton of carbs was hers, so I bought some. Anybody else tried it? I have been using Wonderslim shakes, which I love, but was getting tired of having to do it all mail order and wait so long.

mxochihua
08-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Haha that is hilarious....but I'm not motivated by being yelled at....