Metabolic Research Center - Alternative to Tomato Supplement?

View Full Version : Alternative to Tomato Supplement?

shopgirl
09-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Hey, there---
Ok, so I tried making the mock spaghetti out of the cookbook and almost puked up my toenails! That tomato supplement is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth....I'd rather eat the dirt outside!! I'm not kidding either! :barf:
So, any ideas about how I could make the mock spaghetti? I like the spag squash and all. Hmm....maybe by cooking up a bunch of tomatoes and using seasoning?? I get so sad (as well as sick) when I am looking through the cookbook and think, "Oh, that sounds good!" then I frown when I see if calls for the tomato supplement. Sigh. :(
I'm not terribly desperate for new recipes yet. I haven't hit that wall but I'd like to have some things under my belt when that desire to stay comes (b/c I'm sure it will.....just a matter of time). Thanks for any help!!

3ducksmom
09-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I canned a ton of tomatos last year so I know they have no salt etc in them, just tomato and water. I blend those up in a blender, measure out my oz and use that. You could probably blanch some to remove the skin then blend the heck out of them. The only problem is the quantity. It doesn't make much.

As for the tomato supp, I only use it in Chili. I tried it in something else and wasn't too happy. Tried it in my own version of buffalo chili and it tasted almost like my original. The only thing I hate about the supps is if you reallly don't like it, you end up tossing the whole meal.

Sorry, just realized if you do it this way, you can't use it over your squash... too many veggies. But, it tasted good over a chicken breast and a little provolone!

shopgirl
09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Oooh, thx! Chicken and provolone w/the tomatoes sound great!

mountain gal
09-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey, there---
Ok, so I tried making the mock spaghetti out of the cookbook and almost puked up my toenails! That tomato supplement is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth....I'd rather eat the dirt outside!! I'm not kidding either! :barf:
So, any ideas about how I could make the mock spaghetti? I like the spag squash and all. Hmm....maybe by cooking up a bunch of tomatoes and using seasoning?? I get so sad (as well as sick) when I am looking through the cookbook and think, "Oh, that sounds good!" then I frown when I see if calls for the tomato supplement. Sigh. :(
I'm not terribly desperate for new recipes yet. I haven't hit that wall but I'd like to have some things under my belt when that desire to stay comes (b/c I'm sure it will.....just a matter of time). Thanks for any help!!

Really? that bad? thats the one creamy i havent bought yet n it was top on my -to-buy list . so many recipes call 4 the supplement. hmmmm ... i knw u aint allowed 2 use cooked tomatoes it changes their glycemic index or something like that... hope theres a way out .. i was looking forward 2 it being a pretty okie dokie one so i cud have more recipes 2 try ....

GWE140
09-15-2009, 06:45 PM
I have used it successfully to make turkey meatloaf and that is about it!

Karen1234
09-15-2009, 07:24 PM
Hey, there---

I agree, the tomato supplement is horrible!
I posted a recipe for mock spaghetti along time ago on the recipe website... try to look back, you'll probably find it somewhere... I'll see if I can find it as well.

OK, I'm back, I looked, Can't find a post from myself but Namaste posted a great no cook spaghetti sauce recipe back about 4-7 pages(cooking changes the Glycemic Index of the tomatoes and supposedly not allowed on plan) you can try. I usually heat my tomatoes though. To make the spaghetti squash split in half length wise, clean out the loose strands and seeds, cook one at a time in microwave by turning cut side down onto plate and microwaving 8-10 min until squash is tender, outsides are soft and able to begin to squish in a bit. Take a fork and scrape inside of squash from side ot side creating strands, stop every so often and scoop your spaghetti out into a bowl. Serve with sauce and enjoy. Leftovers can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or I suppose you can try to freeze - I haven't tried that yet. Enjoy!!

shopgirl
09-15-2009, 08:45 PM
I agree, the tomato supplement is horrible!
I posted a recipe for mock spaghetti along time ago on the recipe website... try to look back, you'll probably find it somewhere... I'll see if I can find it as well.

OK, I'm back, I looked, Can't find a post from myself but Namaste posted a great no cook spaghetti sauce recipe back about 4-7 pages(cooking changes the Glycemic Index of the tomatoes and supposedly not allowed on plan) you can try. I usually heat my tomatoes though. To make the spaghetti squash split in half length wise, clean out the loose strands and seeds, cook one at a time in microwave by turning cut side down onto plate and microwaving 8-10 min until squash is tender, outsides are soft and able to begin to squish in a bit. Take a fork and scrape inside of squash from side ot side creating strands, stop every so often and scoop your spaghetti out into a bowl. Serve with sauce and enjoy. Leftovers can be refrigerated for 3-4 days or I suppose you can try to freeze - I haven't tried that yet. Enjoy!!

Thx for posting! I made the spag squash and I've always liked it.....it's just the "topping" I'm trying to overcome! LOL! :D

Phat not Fat
09-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Hey, there---
Ok, so I tried making the mock spaghetti out of the cookbook and almost puked up my toenails! That tomato supplement is the worst thing I've ever put in my mouth....I'd rather eat the dirt outside!! I'm not kidding either!
So, any ideas about how I could make the mock spaghetti? I like the spag squash and all. Hmm....maybe by cooking up a bunch of tomatoes and using seasoning?? I get so sad (as well as sick) when I am looking through the cookbook and think, "Oh, that sounds good!" then I frown when I see if calls for the tomato supplement. Sigh.

I'm not a fan of the tomato supplement, either, so I developed kind of a twist on the mock spaghetti -- it's almost a mock tetrazini.

Use the same recipe, but substitute the creamy chicken & vegetable supplement for the tomato supplement. After you've removed the squash from the rind, mix 4 oz with the sauce mix. If you're preparing this for dinner, sprinkle some crushed melba toast or rounds over the top. If it's for lunch, top with some grated cheese. Bake it at 400 degrees until it's bubbly and golden brown.

Karen1234
09-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm not a fan of the tomato supplement, either, so I developed kind of a twist on the mock spaghetti -- it's almost a mock tetrazini.

Use the same recipe, but substitute the creamy chicken & vegetable supplement for the tomato supplement. After you've removed the squash from the rind, mix 4 oz with the sauce mix. If you're preparing this for dinner, sprinkle some crushed melba toast or rounds over the top. If it's for lunch, top with some grated cheese. Bake it at 400 degrees until it's bubbly and golden brown.

Ohhh.... that sounds sooooo good... I love Turkey/chicken Tetrazini!! Gotta try this one, thanks for the tip!

Phat not Fat
09-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Ohhh.... that sounds sooooo good... I love Turkey/chicken Tetrazini!! Gotta try this one, thanks for the tip!

Glad I could help, Karen. Goodness, I've taken quite a few recipe suggestions from you. It's only fair I return the favor every now and then!

-- JJ

leahruthie
09-15-2009, 10:22 PM
one of y'all is going to have to show my inept self how to make spaghetti from spaghetti squash.

i am useless in the kitchen, hehe

shopgirl
09-15-2009, 11:27 PM

GENIUS!!! How wonderful.....I LOVE tetrazzini! I also really like the creamy chkn supp, too! Yea! Now I know what to do with the vat of spag squash still in my fridge! :carrot::carrot:

RonnieAdl
09-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Well I guess I am the odd man(woman) out here! <G> I love the creamy tomato soup! That and the cream of chicken are really good.. I usually put a little tabasco in it to kick it up a bit..

Cheers!
Ronnie

Fifties Lady
09-16-2009, 12:15 AM
So is chili about the only thing that is good with the tomato HNS?

learning2Bhealthy
09-16-2009, 12:56 AM
Hey, there---

My sister makes her own salsa with tomato, serrano pepper, garlic and cilantro. Then she shreds chicken and mixes it with the salsa, puts it on top of the spaghetti squash, then tops it with a little melted cheese.

I haven't tried it, but she loves it.

Jaimesgettinskinny
09-16-2009, 05:46 AM
I think I'll jump on the Spaghetti Squash bandwagon. If y'all like 'em so much, I'll have to give it another chance.

I wasn't fond of it the first time I tried it.

I like the Crm of Chix idea, too!!!

Thanx bunches! Jaime

Biloxibound
09-16-2009, 12:19 PM
i actually use the creamy tomotao like tomato paste. i mix it thick, add it to the ground turkey and then add water. and i season the heck out of it with italian seasonings. i have made it twice and LOVE the mock spaghetti. BUT i did like tomato soup before this. But it really is salty to me LOL!

i thicken it too and make "pizza" sauce out of it.

that tetrazzini sounds YUMMY!

leahruthie
09-16-2009, 01:29 PM
the funny thing is i have a box of the cream of chicken, the tomato, AND the chicken bouillon all unopened in my cupboard. i just never have time/creativity to do anything with them. KITCHEN CHALLENGED, i swear. and besides, i'm not sure i'd be able to give up my daily cup of hot chocolate in favor of soup. :P

3ducksmom
09-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Eeek! I am SO glad this thread is going! I never heard that I couldn't cook tomato! I've been happily munching away at my "chili" and even wrote down what I put into it and no one said anything. I wonder if that hasn't been what's been throwing me off. I'm losing very slow but I have chili about once a week or so. Hmmm....

Anyway, some great ideas and info guys! Thanks!

learning2Bhealthy
09-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Eeek! I am SO glad this thread is going! I never heard that I couldn't cook tomato! I've been happily munching away at my "chili" and even wrote down what I put into it and no one said anything. I wonder if that hasn't been what's been throwing me off. I'm losing very slow but I have chili about once a week or so. Hmmm....

Anyway, some great ideas and info guys! Thanks!

I was told that we need to watch how much raw tomato we eat b/c they're one of the highest carb food on our menu. I hated to hear that b/c they're heavy and help with my salad.

Anyway, sorry you had to learn the hard way.. :(
Looks like you are doing great though. Keep up the hard work. :bravo:

3ducksmom
09-16-2009, 10:17 PM
I was told that we need to watch how much raw tomato we eat b/c they're one of the highest carb food on our menu. I hated to hear that b/c they're heavy and help with my salad.

Anyway, sorry you had to learn the hard way.. :(
Looks like you are doing great though. Keep up the hard work. :bravo:

Oh man! Another blow! That was my lunch veggie! Well, thank you for letting me know! Maybe I can kick it up a notch now. Wish my center would have warned me when the saw straight 'maters on my menus. I am SO glad this board is here!

Fifties Lady
09-16-2009, 10:33 PM
Oh man! Another blow! That was my lunch veggie! Well, thank you for letting me know! Maybe I can kick it up a notch now. Wish my center would have warned me when the saw straight 'maters on my menus. I am SO glad this board is here!

I have been eating raw tomatoes daily...I couldn't just let them rot in my garden. They are still producing, so I will be enjoying them for sometime. I knew you couldn't cook them, but that's ok. It's on my food journal and no counselor has said anything to me about it.

Someone mentioned the mock crab...is that allowed....I love the lobster bits to put on my salad, and I have a couple packages in the freezer calling my name. I just thought they were a no no, but they really can add zing to a salad. :?:

leahruthie
09-17-2009, 12:54 AM
i thought they said real crab was OK but not imitation krab, am i right? man i wish i actually liked seafood :(

i've been eating a ton of raw tomatoes, too, mostly because i have 14 tomato plants in my garden (it sounds like a lot but most of them pretty much failed and produce very little) but also because tomatoes are my favorite vegetable EVER hehe :)

learning2Bhealthy
09-17-2009, 01:01 AM
I have been eating raw tomatoes daily...I couldn't just let them rot in my garden. They are still producing, so I will be enjoying them for sometime. I knew you couldn't cook them, but that's ok. It's on my food journal and no counselor has said anything to me about it.

Someone mentioned the mock crab...is that allowed....I love the lobster bits to put on my salad, and I have a couple packages in the freezer calling my name. I just thought they were a no no, but they really can add zing to a salad. :?:

I didn't mean you can't eat them, obviously you can because they're on the menu. What I meant was if you're slowing down on your weight-loss that might be the problem.

3ducksmom
09-17-2009, 04:06 AM
I remember I specifically asked my center when i first started and she said mock krab is okay, just don't do it often because it is higher in sodium. I save it for those emergency days when I'm running out the door with nothing to grab. It's probably one of those odd ball things like Sugar Free Syrup. Some centers say yes, some no.

I'll make sure I save my maters for those same busy days instead of daily. I have to buy them anyway We actually haven't planted any for years. We had wild hybrids growing for years. I had to pull a good 50 volunteers every year, just so I could plant other veggies. This year I couldn't keep up and mowed my garden under in June. Go figure, I start this in July and could REALLY use that garden! murphy's law!

Jaimesgettinskinny
09-17-2009, 04:29 AM
My center is one of the ones that says "no" to the crab meat, dang it!! I think I'll ask again.

I sure hope this is cool, I love that stuff!!!

Jaime

Karen1234
09-17-2009, 03:01 PM
FL,
I too hate the Creamy Tomato supplement, I tried it once and will never go there again, for real! Gagged me and ruined a meal

Dedge
09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
Yeah I agree the tomato supplement is horrible. I've tried it twice in recipes...and :barf: it was so sick!!!

Fifties Lady
09-18-2009, 12:13 AM
i thought they said real crab was OK but not imitation krab, am i right? man i wish i actually liked seafood :(

i've been eating a ton of raw tomatoes, too, mostly because i have 14 tomato plants in my garden (it sounds like a lot but most of them pretty much failed and produce very little) but also because tomatoes are my favorite vegetable EVER hehe :)

Try 48 plants....oh my yes!!! I had planned to can my salsa which I haven't done in a few years because our garden took a nose dive the last three years. Now I am out of my canned salsa, but since I am dieting now, I don't dare make it....it is so good on chips, and that just makes it too tempting. So I have been eating many, many tomatoes....probably more than I should according to MRC. I just never thought they would ever hurt a dieter.

I will have to check out the Lobster bites that I have and see what is in them that makes them off plan. I can't imagine what it would be? I just want something different on my salad than chicken. Although I have found the spicy Mrs. Dash sprinkled on the chicken is very good for topping off a salad.

My whole problem, is I want simple and fast. The recipes sound wonderful, but way too much work. I'm not one to enjoy my time in the kitchen. I wish I was, because I probably wouldn't find myself in such a rut with this plan. I still live for Saturday nights for my grilled sirloin steak and salad. It makes it all worth it. Excluding the glass of wine of course. Which is sad, because red wine is suppose to be good for you. I bet I will never see it on any of the menus, no matter what the color. :?::(

shopgirl
09-18-2009, 01:01 AM
You know what is crazy to me? They told me at my center that the lemon pudding was not popular as well as something else that people talk about that is their favorite supplement....shoot, I can't remember what it is. Anyhow, they stopped selling both things at my center so why the HECK do they still sell that super nasty tomato supplement?!?!? Unbelieveable!

namaste
09-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Hey, there---

lol, puked up your toenails! love it....

So, just for my own personal way of doing the saucy kind of thing.... I cook down my meat, then I add water to the saucepan and then throw in a bunch of seasonings (mrs dash tomato basil, oregano, basil, thyme, etc) until it's exactly how I want it to taste.... then I just let it simmer down until it get's creamier or cooked into the meat.... By no means is it a sauce, but it works well for me and I love the taste. The other thing I do, is I buy the creamy chicken soup from the center, and do the same thing... add the water and the seasonings I want.... it's more creamy that way and very good.

Just a couple of options. I do it with chili that way too... obviously change the seasonings.... oh, wait... I think I cook everything that way, add water and seasoning! :dizzy:

desilu0
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
I'll have to make note of some of these ideas. I tried the tomato supplement and while it wasn't as disgusting as I was worried about from reading on here, I didn't really care for it. And that chicken boullion it's kind of gross because it's been gelling.

leahruthie
10-06-2009, 06:30 PM
ok y'all, i need help... i am craving chili like a crazyperson but it looks like all the chili recipes we have listed in the recipe thread have the tomato supp. in them--isn't it gross? is there a way to make it without?? i don't have a good chili recipe :(

ButterFly49
10-23-2009, 10:09 AM
My center had cooking class last night and made chili using the NEW tomato with basil supplement. There were 8 of us there and it was G R E A T! They told us that the creamy tomato could not be purchsed at their center any longer and was being replaced by the Tomato with basil. I haven't purchsed any of the creamy supplements yet- but after last night - I'm a believer in the new Tomato with basil. Try this one.

Fifties Lady
10-23-2009, 10:19 AM
My center had cooking class last night and made chili using the NEW tomato with basil supplement. There were 8 of us there and it was G R E A T! They told us that the creamy tomato could not be purchsed at their center any longer and was being replaced by the Tomato with basil. I haven't purchsed any of the creamy supplements yet- but after last night - I'm a believer in the new Tomato with basil. Try this one.

Good morning Butterfly,

My center told me the same about the Creamy Tomato, and they too said it was better than the old. I still have a few packs of the old, and last weekend for the first time I used it to make Chili, and it really was good for the ingredients I through in, and it was so filling. Just seemed to hit the spot on a cool evening. Can you share this recipe?

My own: 1 1/2 to 2 cups of water heated, stir in the Creamy Tomato
6-8 oz cooked ground turkey
1/4 cup of Chick peas (Garbanzo beans)
3 Green Onions diced (Include the chives)
Chili seasoning (no sodium) season to taste
Garlic cloves (optional) Garlic Powder
4 oz diced fresh tomatoes

:dizzy:

Roadqueen
10-23-2009, 04:04 PM
Well I'm glad to hear that there are other who can't stand the tomato HNS.
I was bummed. I made the chille and had to throw it out. Blah! Since so many recipes call for it I bought it.
I also heard that MRC was coming out with a new tomato version. Maybe it will be better. I miss chille.