General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default HORRIBLE Job Interviews

Ugh. I've never had a bad job interview before, but today's interview definitely made me cringe. I left an hour early and due to an accident (not mine) and getting lost (on a huge university campus) managed to be 4 minutes late. I then went to grab my jacket and rush in, my NICE black suit jacket that pulls my whole outfit together and makes me look neat and professional, and discovered that somehow I had grabbed my roommate's XL black dress shirt by mistake.

So, at this point, I have 3 options. Wear a men's XL dress shirt to a job interview, wear my wrinkled, smelly brown emergency jacket that I keep in the trunk, or go in wearing a scoop-necked sheer-backed bra-showing shirt to a posting that explicitly stated "no revealing clothing". I chose the brown jacket, and managed to have an ok interview, but I'm sure they were thinking that I was a weirdo.

I would just let it go, but the person interviewing me was my friend's fiance, who got me the interview in the first place. Whaddya think my chances are?

Anyone else have any experience with horrible interviews?

Last edited by JoyfulVegGirl; 09-15-2009 at 02:46 PM.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:58 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 240/ticker/154

my interview for my current job my car broke down and I had to chnage my tire, I needed to put into a white boiler suit to protest my clothes. I ended driving the rest off the way in this.

Had to take it off in carpark outside, which the interviewer witnesses and I had car grease hands which no amount off scrubbing would remove...

I was so flustered...but because I wasnt thinking I looked my best I tried harder in the interview and despite what I thought I got it ;o)

Whats for you won't pass you

Good Luck xxxx
KboP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

I cried in an interview once. She told me if I got the job I could have time off at christmas or thanksgiving but not both. My parents had already booked flights for both holidays, but I REALLY wanted the job. (I ended up canceling on my thanksgiving trip). I got the job, loved the job, and got over my embarassment soon enough
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 168/168/130

My last interview (and first by he way) was horrible!
Iīm a lawyer and it was my first job, I did pretty well in law school but in my first year I didnīt pass this stupid philosophy class.
Anyway I got there and the interview was rescheduled right there, so I had to wait 2 hours.. after the 2 hours they called me into the office and I handed my grades and the guy told me "Ah? you dare to come to an interview in THIS office with this grades? Ah? You dare waste my time with a 3.5 (grades here go from 1 to 7 and you pass with a 4.. my general average is 6.5 so itīs pretty good) in philosophy?" and I went like "Ok, I sent my curriculum and I came because YOU called me"..
So for the rest of the interview, which was like an hour long he kept calling me "the girl who did not pass philosophy". A few of the other lawyers came to his office during this time and everytime he went "this is Francisca.. she did not pass Philisophy ja ja ja" and they all laughed at me... that was horrible!
Well after that I got the job and for the first 3 weeks he called me that way so he would go "call the girl that did not pass philosophy" and he stopped because I quit, if not he would still call me that way!
Sapitaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 229/SeeTicker/155

Height: 5' 9"

Well, in an interview I once said "intercourse" when I meant "interaction", and I was being interviewed by a minister!!! No, I didn't get the job, but I still laugh about it! The best of luck with your job search ...
babenwaiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:02 PM   #6  
Slow and Steady

I think you'll be ok. It wasn't a huge issue, I'm sure. And if you did well overall, I'm sure it's going to be fine.. Also, maybe you can explain it to the friend's fiance if you're still feeling unsure. I'm sure they'd understand then.

Oh, the last job interview I went on I was doing great with the plant manager. I knew I had the job. He asked me to come in for a 2nd interview with the vice president of the company.

For some reason, this woman totally flustered me. She was jumping from one topic to the next and then she asked me what kind of car I drove (?). I lease every 3 years and had just moved from an explorer sport to an escape. I told her a sport and then said "oh, sorry, it's an escape." Turned bright red and realized that if I'm getting the answer wrong for the kind of car I drive, I'm guessing she's not going to trust me getting anything right at the job.

Oh well. I'm at the same place I was when I started looking but stayed because they upped my pay (considerably) rather than have me leave. So it all worked out in the end..

I just remembered, one time I was doing the interviewing and a lady felt the need to let me (and the vp - a man) know that she had canceled her first scheduled interview with us because she had to go to the gynecologist for her yearly pap smear. Yes, she said the words "pap smear" in a job interview. Gross.

Last edited by AbbySinthe; 09-15-2009 at 04:03 PM.
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #7  
the camera adds 10 lbs

S/C/G: 258/ticker/185

joyful..ill cross my fingers...you may have felt bad about the interview, but the interviewer may have been impressed
david is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapitaa View Post
My last interview (and first by he way) was horrible!
Iīm a lawyer and it was my first job, I did pretty well in law school but in my first year I didnīt pass this stupid philosophy class.
Anyway I got there and the interview was rescheduled right there, so I had to wait 2 hours.. after the 2 hours they called me into the office and I handed my grades and the guy told me "Ah? you dare to come to an interview in THIS office with this grades? Ah? You dare waste my time with a 3.5 (grades here go from 1 to 7 and you pass with a 4.. my general average is 6.5 so itīs pretty good) in philosophy?" and I went like "Ok, I sent my curriculum and I came because YOU called me"..
So for the rest of the interview, which was like an hour long he kept calling me "the girl who did not pass philosophy". A few of the other lawyers came to his office during this time and everytime he went "this is Francisca.. she did not pass Philisophy ja ja ja" and they all laughed at me... that was horrible!
Oh my gosh, I'm sure that was a horrible experience for you but it makes me feel a lot better! At least I had good rapport with the hiring manager (not the fiance). I don't think my nerves would ever recover from something like that, but I guess that's why I'm not a lawyer

I explained to my friend about the jacket. I'm not sure if it helped any because she's kind of a perfectionist who never makes mistakes (in a good way), but we'll see. Thanks for the kind words, all.
JoyfulVegGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: Too much/Less/Just Right!

Height: 5'4"

I had an interview to be an assistant for a guy named Teddy. He looked like a mobster in a black suit and slicked back hair. He wanted a single secretary who would be at his beck and call 24/7. He said things like, "Teddy gets what Teddy wants." He never called himself "I" or "me", only "Teddy". "Teddy wants coffee every morning."

Teddy did not get me as an assistant. I would have killed him.

Last edited by Chelby29; 09-15-2009 at 05:28 PM.
Chelby29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by babenwaiting View Post
Well, in an interview I once said "intercourse" when I meant "interaction", and I was being interviewed by a minister!!! No, I didn't get the job, but I still laugh about it! The best of luck with your job search ...
LMAO!!!!!!Priceless!
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #11  
Slow and Steady

Chelby - 1 word: Ewwww... Oh, wait, 2 words: Ewwww & Creepy lmao!
AbbySinthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #12  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

Bad job interviews?

Let's just say that I was so nervous in one that when asked, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I replied, "When I was little I wanted to be a Huxtable".

.... as in the Huxtables from the Cosby Show.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:37 PM   #13  

Height: 5'6"

I interviewed a woman once that showed up wearing a tank top and stripper platforms. She spent the whole interview giggling and twirling her hair.

My husband did mass interviews a few years ago and more than 1/2 of them showed up in flip flops.
bacilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

When I was in Honduras, I met a man who worked in some sort of finance-related job (it was a few years ago, I don't remember) who I think had the worst experience as interviewer I've heard of. He had to interview someone while suffering from malaria. He said that in the middle of the interview he started sweating profusely (like, soaked through his shirt in less than 5 minutes) and he was so impressed that the interviewee maintained his composure, that he offered him the job, lol.

Oh, hey, I did have one really bad interview. While interviewing for a PhD program at Princeton, one of my interviewers (I met with 6 or so throughout the day) was sooo sick. She had a terrible headache and had to keep leaving to go to the bathroom and throw up... and I'm emetophobic and was PANICKING. She ended up cutting the interview short, which was a relief for me. I knew she wouldn't notice that I was freaking out anyway, in her condition, but I felt SO guilty about it.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 05:17 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 218/189/165

Height: 5'10"

I once interviewed for a job that I really wanted. It was a panel interview and I could tell the Department Head really wanted to hire me. In fact after the interview he made every indication to me that he planned on offering me the job and asked his assistant to show me around. The assistant showed me around the office, my work space, etc. Afterwards she delivered me back to the room I had interviewed in and we walked in on the Department Head and one of his managers having a very heated argument about hiring me. It was very uncomfortable and a few days later I got a call that they hired someone else.

Last edited by lisa43; 09-16-2009 at 05:19 PM.
lisa43 is offline   Reply With Quote