Old 09-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 223/220/153

Height: 5'10"

Question To Join On-Line or Not?

OK, I'm trying my best to do WW. I haven't "officially" joined. I was able to get the Points Finder, the Complete Food Companion book, and the Dining Out Companion from a friend. I've been able to find lots of info here and on other sites as well. I'm not one to go to meetings, but I'm wondering if I should join the on-line program. Is there any major benefit of joining even for a month? Like many right now, we're on a really tight budget, so I'd rather save the money if I've got enough of the tools that I need. Thanks!
cinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

I have joined WW a million times, and today will make one million and one. I have lost 70+ pounds on my own... but I started a bootcamp where I stand right behind my former WW leader. I was talking to her about it the other day b/c I am "stuck" and she said that she considers me a friend, not just a former WW member..... so she wanted to tell me what she had been wanting to tell me for awhile (since I started bootcamp and she learned I was stuck). i told her I started out doing WW online. She said that WW online is a great tool, but it was designed for people who just cannot go to the meetings, such as someone who lives in Alaska and does not have a meeting close, or someone who has NO childcare and just cannot go.... or a busy business person that cannot find the time to go. Studies show that people lose more than twice the weight on WW than going it alone, and they keep it off longer.

With that said, I know there are pros and cons to every plan.... but I think MY best bet will be WW. My strategy is to lose the remainder of my weight, institute a healthier home for my son and DH (who is joining me tonight for the FIRST TIME EVER at a WW meeting), and to get some of my money back by becoming a WW employee when I am done!

I know times are tough and money is tight..... but maybe like us, cutting out ONE trip of eating out a week will more than pay for the membership.

I wish you the best!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:44 AM   #3  
Making Peace With Food

S/C/G: 215/153.4/120

Height: 5'4"

Hey there,

I was just in the same predicament a few weeks ago. I wanted to go back to weight watchers...but didn't want to pay the full price for meetings so I was considering WW online. Lo and behold when I went into my local WW to talk to the representative she informed me that they are doing a buy-one-month-get-one-month-free/no joining fee promotion for the monthly pass option. Totally made my day! Now I can go to meetings and only paid $40 for two months of meetings plus e-tools! I checked on their website and it appears that the promotion will be going on through the 17th of Oct. It might be just what you're looking for!
SimpleRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #4  
GmaTo8

Attending meetings gives wonderful accountability, but you should know there are many, many members here that have lost weight successfully at home, using the WW tools that you already have. If you have the determination, the forums here can help you by offering friendship, encouragement, and lots of information to help you on your journey.

Let me know if I can help in any way.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #5  
Crunchy hippy mama

S/C/G: 260/260/200

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyrider72472 View Post
I know times are tough and money is tight..... but maybe like us, cutting out ONE trip of eating out a week will more than pay for the membership.
She may be one of the people who HAS cut out all eating out, and still can not afford it.

I am going to meetings starting this week, as I just can not do it on my own right now. Maybe after 6 weeks is up, I will be better equipped.
lauralee21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:31 AM   #6  

I tried the on-line route and didn't find it as effective as attending the meetings. What I did in the end was attend the meetings for a few months, got on track and focused and then followed the program on my own. I didn't find I needed the on-line program to do that.

With this site you have forum support and if you know the program you CAN track your own points if budget is an issue.

Good luck!!
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote