Old 09-14-2009, 03:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Default New here

I'm crossing over to Atkins from Low Cal.
After a month and a half of little to no change, I decided to switch to see if it was my carbs that were off the wall that were making me either not lose or gain a pound that refuses to leave.
What do you all eat for breakfast?
I'm trying to get out of the mind set of low cal thinking. LOL
I'm trying to get a list of the foods I can eat and the ones I can't. I'm researching the Atkins.com site now to get more info.
Do they do a carb calculator determined by your stats or is it a one size fits all.....20g a day thing?
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:45 PM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hello Rachel & to Atkins!

A few words of advice....stay FAR, FAR away from that Atkins website!!! Since Dr. Atkins death & Atkins Nutritionals Inc. taking over, lets just say they have not adhered to the wisdom or the writings of the late Dr. Atkins. Your best bet is to get yourself a copy (Ebay sells used copies cheap) of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution...2003 & prior versions. Read & re-read the book from cover to cover until you understand how & why this plan works. If you must resort to a website, I recommend Veronica Atkins (Dr. Atkins wife) website at http://www.veronicaatkinsfoundation.org/
Induction is 20 net carbs (total carbs minus dietary fiber) per day...with 12-15 of those carbs coming from veggies & salads on the acceptable foods list.
A common breakfast on Atkins would be bacon or sausage & eggs with cheese. There are lots of delicious, Atkins friendly recipes here: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/
Anything with an * is suitable for Induction.
Don't mean this to sound like a lecture but, read the book BEFORE attempting to do Atkins to insure you are doing it correctly.
You CAN do this!
All the best to you!!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-14-2009 at 05:48 PM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:11 PM   #3  

Great, thank you. I ordered the book and find that site very informitable. Thx again
Old 09-15-2009, 08:09 AM   #4  

quick question. Why do we need to stay away from the Atkins site?
Old 09-15-2009, 09:33 AM   #5  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4life View Post
quick question. Why do we need to stay away from the Atkins site?
Since Dr. Atkins death & Atkins Nutritionals Inc. taking over, lets just say they have not adhered to the wisdom or the writings of the late Dr. Atkins. If you've been on the site, one of the first things you'll notice is Atkins products...bars & shakes. Atkins Nutritionals Inc. is marketing these products as "appropriate for Induction"....basically put, they are NOT! Dr. Atkins intended they be used for emergencies only, when no other low carb food is available....not as an everyday staple of the Atkins lifestyle.
The bars contain ingredients that are not on the acceptable foods list....therefore, making them INAPPROPRIATE for Induction. The net carb count on the front label on those bars is also totally misleading as well. You may want to read this article....I think it will clear up any confusion & questions you may have: http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/19059967.php
Stick with Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution (2003 & prior versions) & the Veronica Atkins website....she has stayed true ro her late husband's legacy

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-15-2009 at 09:35 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Good advice (as always) from jerseygirl.

I'd just add that if the thought of eggs in the morning doesn't appeal to you, there are other things you can do - have a ham, turkey, cheese, other meats, leftovers from dinner, etc. I forced myself to have eggs for several months and sometimes was really grossed out by them. Now I am broader in my breakfast choices -- eggs from time to time, but I was really sick of them when they were daily....
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote