100 lb. Club - confused about measurements vs clothing fit

ubergirl
09-14-2009, 03:37 PM
I'm so confused.

I always think my plan is working well UNTIL I take my measurements...

So far, according to my measurements, I've lost two inches from my bust, three inches from my waist, and NONE from my hips....

I'm not particularly hippy- the fat is all in the lower belly.

So, what confuses me is this:

Forty pounds ago, I wore a size 24 and now I'm fitting into 22s and the occasional 20. I tried on some plus size clothes recently and there were even a couple of 1Xs that were too big...

But when I look at size charts, I'm still above the measurements for size 3x.

I don't get it.

thisisnotatest
09-14-2009, 03:55 PM
The people who make up sizes should be institutionalized.

I recently bought a pair of PJ's that were on sale (16 bucks!) that were absolutely gorgeous.
They were a 1X. I have never worn a 1X, ever, my largest has been 16 bottoms. Who cares though. Bought em anyway.

Don't let some arbitrary industry (that makes us all crazy) dictate how you feel about your progress.
As long as you see an overall downward trend in your weight and measurements, and an upward trend in your energy and quality of life, its all good.

ps-the hips can be stubborn rascals, for me, they will be the absolute last place to say farewell to the fat.

Don

kiramira
09-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Go by fit, not by the measurements. I have a 34 inch waist. I KNOW I do. I can SEE it! I take a size 30/31 jeans and sometimes they are loose...which makes NO sense whatsoever.

It depends what chart/what manufacturer's sizing you are using -- I fit an XXL according to Mountain Equipment Coop, a size 8 at Talbots, an XL at Reitmans, a size 10 Gap jeans, a L at Lululemon, a M at Stefi Lara, I DON"T FIT A THING (too big for their largest size!) at Maax...who knows? As long as the clothes fit properly and I am smaller than before, not a whole lot else matters, IMHO...
:D
Kira

Jessica88
09-14-2009, 04:30 PM
i know it is so confusing. i think that it depends on who makes the clothes. but i bought two pairs of shorts from torrid that were torrid brand one in a 24 and one in a 22 and they both fit the same way. i don't know what it is, but its frustrating!

TamiL
09-14-2009, 06:24 PM
There is no consistent sizing at any size! My waist is now a 25 and I wear 2's and 4's and the occasional 6. It makes no sense. You have lost 40 lbs!!! That is wonderful and reason enough to be happy without all the sizing nonsense we have to put up with:)

Thighs Be Gone
09-14-2009, 06:29 PM
Don't even get me started on clothing size. The people sticking the sizing tags on the clothing are on DRUGS!

Thighs Be Gone
09-14-2009, 06:30 PM
TamiL..I wear 2's and 4's too. I forgot who said it on here but here it goes again.

I don't ever feel like a 2. I feel like a fraud!

Aclai4067
09-14-2009, 07:26 PM
I don't go by measurements. According to my measurements I've lost 1/2" in my waist and nothing anywhere else! I can tell by my clothes that is very not true. I've probably lost about 4" in my waist, at least 2" per thigh (I stopped rubbing holes through my jeans about 20 pounds ago), and at least 3" in my hips. I can't really tell a difference in my arms, but I'm sure there is one. So I decided I suck at measuring, and I'll just enjoy my clothes getting too big.

JennLin
09-14-2009, 10:20 PM
About the measurements... do you do them yourself or have someone else do them for you? When I was smaller (before the kids made me heavy again.. lol) I worked at Curves and later at LA Weight Loss and I measured people all the time. If you aren't EXTREMELY consistent in where you do your measurements, they could be way off. The waist is the easiest to measure because we know its the smallest part of our torso. The rest can get tricky. With that fact alone, I would say just watch how big your clothes are getting and dont bother with the measurements. If you join a gym or something they would be able to track the measurements really well for you. I never even measured myself unless it was my waist just because of how easially inconsistant the results could be and would equal to being very frustrated. I hope I helped!

ubergirl
09-15-2009, 12:07 AM
Thanks guys...

I know I'm being stupid. I've worn a 22 or a 24 for so many years that I guess I just can't believe I'll EVER get out of that size.

Thighs Be Gone
09-15-2009, 12:15 AM
oh uber, don't feel that way..it took me three months to leave a 16/18! I had been in that size for almost a decade!

findingfawn
09-15-2009, 12:47 PM
I don't do measurements.. I really don't want to know what that number is!

I can relate though. It took me 20 pounds to be able to go down a size in jeans. My 26s were litterally falling off, but I couldn't get into a 24 no matter what. I am attributing it to having a horrible apron from all my babies/c-sections. I keep hoping that it doesn't take me another 20 pounds to be able to go down another size, but if so I guess I will suck it up and deal with it. It's not my pants size I'm worried about, it's my health.

HotWings
09-15-2009, 01:16 PM
I don't do measurements.. I really don't want to know what that number is!

I can relate though. It took me 20 pounds to be able to go down a size in jeans. My 26s were litterally falling off, but I couldn't get into a 24 no matter what. I am attributing it to having a horrible apron from all my babies/c-sections. I keep hoping that it doesn't take me another 20 pounds to be able to go down another size, but if so I guess I will suck it up and deal with it. It's not my pants size I'm worried about, it's my health.

I can so relate with the apron/c-section thing! The only place my 26s are tight right now is just below my waist. :mad: I am wondering if they will have to be falling off too before I can go for a 24. I think when I hit 40 lbs gone I might be able to do a 24. It's a bit frustrating, but I know I am headed in the right direction!

The other irritating thing about clothing sizes, is that the 24 jeans I have are from 10 years ago. I am wondering how the sizes have changed. I think my 13s from when I was in high school (OMG that is 30 years ago) are probably 10s in this day and age. :shrug:

Alana in Canada
09-15-2009, 01:51 PM
Sizes have changed--but only in the lower price categories. The expensive, really expensive stuff hasn't. Tim Gunn explains the whole thing in his book about style.

As well, there isn't any "standard" across the industry anymore, as KiraMira so eloquently illustrated!

Thirdly, different "styles" of clothing have different "ease" requirements. A top with a raglan sleeve, for example, will always fit more loosely than a shirt with a set-in sleeve (to take a really obvious example) so you may be able to get a "smaller" size of the dolman shirt than the set-in sleeved one. That may have been what was going on with the shorts, though I doubt it.

Probably someone in China sewed in the wrong tag, or sewed it funny, or something!

I can't wait to do "down" a size though. Hasn't happened yet, as far as I know. (But then I haven't tried on any other clothes than the ones I wear everyday!)

HotWings
09-15-2009, 02:37 PM
Here is a link about how clothing sizes have changed and why there is a discrepancy for anyone who is interested:

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2006/05/05/0_is_the_new_8/

CJZee
09-15-2009, 03:53 PM
The waist is the easiest to measure because we know its the smallest part of our torso.

Hi JennLin -- to me the waist is a mystery. I went to Curves a couple of years ago, and they were measuring it about an inch or two above my bellybutton, which for me (I think!) is still my hips! The smallest part of my torso is directly below my bust, then it kind of flows down from there into my hips which are "womanly" as they say, LOL.

I can figure my hips -- just go to the biggest part -- and my bust, ditto. The waist is a mystery.

ubergirl
09-16-2009, 12:51 AM
Regarding changing clothing sizes...

I have an OLD pair of 24s-- probably at least fifteen years old-- from Lane Bryant, and they are TINY. They are tighter than the spanking new pair of 20s I bought recently....

But I guess my frustration is just that whenever I measure I feel HUGE. Because my measurements seem bigger than the sizes of the clothing that I'm actually wearing.

shrug. I think maybe measuring isn't the right test for me.

sherrybwc
09-16-2009, 02:09 AM
It makes me crazy as well!

However, this could account for my drastic clothing size drop when I lost a lot a few years ago...I went from a 24 jean down to a 18 in the same brand after losing only 20 - 30 lbs pounds, but my 24s "were" a couple of years old.

What I'd REALLY like to know, though, is what size would "today's" 24s have been in 1940 or 1950???

Or do I?????????

Sherry

toastedsmoke
09-16-2009, 04:00 AM
I completely understand what you're saying ubergirl. I order clothes online a lot and often have bad luck especially in the bust area. I know what my bust measurement is but the size that matches that measurement is always huge and never fits so now I know this and order a size or two down. And most times this works although of course sometimes the clothes were actually true to size. But I keep these though, eventually I'll fit into them if they're too small now.

TamiL
09-16-2009, 04:16 AM
TamiL..I wear 2's and 4's too. I forgot who said it on here but here it goes again.

;)Me too!

TJFitnessDiva
09-16-2009, 08:52 AM

I feel like a fraud too. When I bought my last pair of jeans I was waiting for someone to see my jean size & laugh hysterically at me...I fit in a size 6 now and I think whoever said my jeans are a size 6 are freaking out of their mind! There is just no way lol but I have clothing ranging from a 10 to a 6 in my closet that fit me. If I look up the size 6 measurements I don't fit them either. Just remember we are all proportioned different even if we belong to a particular shape group.

Make sure when you buy online that the store has a great return policy.

Tarisaande
09-16-2009, 09:24 AM
If you look at the sizing chart for pants they give you a waist measurement which is dumb, because modern pants are low rise and stop like 4 inches below the waist so the measurement is irrelevant. If I measure my waist I am a size 16. If I measure my hips I am a size 10.

And you know what? I wear a size 10.

I have learned to try on pants by the hip measurement, not the waist. The waist is above the bellybutton on most people, and just how many pants go anywhere near that these days?

When I was in HS (mid/late 90's) I remember trying on a size 10 when I was at my lowest weight, ~150, very close to where I am now. And those fit then, too.

So while pants sizes may have changed a LITTLE, really it's just that the waist measurement has become more or less irrelevant, and sizing is done by the hip now. For those 2 inches of pants they have bothered to provide above the hip, I take a straight fit cut (for my size 16 straight "curves"). If I try a "curvy" fit, I have to go up one size.

ubergirl
09-16-2009, 12:27 PM
If you look at the sizing chart for pants they give you a waist measurement which is dumb, because modern pants are low rise and stop like 4 inches below the waist so the measurement is irrelevant. If I measure my waist I am a size 16. If I measure my hips I am a size 10.

And you know what? I wear a size 10.

I have learned to try on pants by the hip measurement, not the waist. The waist is above the bellybutton on most people, and just how many pants go anywhere near that these days?

When I was in HS (mid/late 90's) I remember trying on a size 10 when I was at my lowest weight, ~150, very close to where I am now. And those fit then, too.

So while pants sizes may have changed a LITTLE, really it's just that the waist measurement has become more or less irrelevant, and sizing is done by the hip now. For those 2 inches of pants they have bothered to provide above the hip, I take a straight fit cut (for my size 16 straight "curves"). If I try a "curvy" fit, I have to go up one size.

Hmm... well, when I weighed 145-150 back in the 80s I never fit into a ten. I wore a twelve or a fourteen and some brands, like Anne Taylor didn't have a thing in the entire store that fit me. That's why I was convinced I was so huge-- because I often had trouble fitting into clothes. I used to wear Liz Claiborne a lot because they were cut bigger than other clothes. I still remember how embarrassing and painful it was for me to shop because I always felt like I was just on the verge of not fitting anything!!! And, if there was a plus size department I don't think I even knew about it. (LOL... I did get to know that plus size department VERY WELL...)

It's so bizarre!! My daughter weighs in the 150s and she's not as tall as me but has the same type of athletic build and I think she wears a six.

Oh well. Obviously I have "size issues..."

JulieJ08
09-16-2009, 01:47 PM
So while pants sizes may have changed a LITTLE, really it's just that the waist measurement has become more or less irrelevant, and sizing is done by the hip now.

I don't know. I wore a size 8 at 120 pounds 20 years ago, and now I wear a size 8 at 140 pounds. The difference boggles my mind. At least in my case, it's not due to low-rise. One, I don't go that low, and two, my hips are a bigger size than my waist, not lower. But maybe some of us are comparing sizes across a much <ahem> longer period of time ;).

CJZee
09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Back in the 70's, I was about 180 and had to buy my first size 18 pantsuit. That prompted me to start WW. Now, more than 30 years later, I'm 239 and can fit into many size 18's. I was hoping it was because I have been exercising a lot and had all this heavy muscle weight, but I'm pretty sure it's because women's sizing has changed over the years. Sigh.