Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/155/140

Height: 5 "7"

Default The scale says I lose but when I look in the mirror i see no change in myself.

Hi I'm new to this site. I have always struggled with feeling comfortable in my own body. I felt that if i lost my weight i would feel better and confident but it hasn't occured. Last year I weighed 250 pounds as of right now i have lost 95 pounds on Weight Watchers, my goal weight is 15 pounds away but i still see no difference. When i look in the mirror i still see the 250 pound girl that i was. I am paraniod now about weight gain and am constantly in the gym. I tend to compare myself to others and it makes me feel insecure. I just don't know what to do?
Jaz11786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:56 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I am the same way at times. I have lost 141 pounds but a lot of times I still see the 330 pound me when I look in a mirror. I don't have a solution for it or I would be over it myself. I do have a and good vibes sent your way.

Welcome to 3FC and good luck with your goals.

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #3  
Chuggin' along...

Hi Jaz, and welcome! Congratulations on all that you have accomplished so far. Reading your post I thought of a few suggestions that might be helpful, but also understand that self-image is something many of us struggle with, no matter our weight or stage of weight loss. I wear a size 8 right now and I still am always trying to squeeze between parked cars and hide my "chubby" thighs, even after 4 years of wearing sizes 6~8~10, from a 16/18.

Some concrete things that may help you realize your loss -

Do you have any pants from your highest or near highest weight? Put them on and look in the mirror - you'll see a lot of changes in your body.

Taking measurements of your chest, waist, and hips with a tape measurer can have a similar effect.

Also taking a picture of yourself now and putting it next to a "before" picture - same idea.

There is a section of the maintainers forum of this website here that might provide some insight. Poke around the different forums at the website, chime in and feel free to talk to everyone about what you're feeling. We're a pretty friendly bunch! Also, do you go to WW meetings (as opposed to online)? Perhaps people there will listen to your concerns. There's a WW forum here on 3fc, too, so many some of the participants there can help you alleviate your concerns as you transition from WW "losing" to maintenance.

I think it's normal to be scared of regaining the weight we've lost. We've all heard the statistics. They're not good! As you think about how you're going to live as you finish losing your weight and go into weight loss maintenance, you will hopefully figure out an eating & exercise plan that works for you in the long-term to keep you where you want to be (of course this is fluid - maybe you'll decide after a while that you're happier 5 lbs heavier or lighter, or that you want to gain more muscle, or that you want to become a runner, or... and that's fine if your plan changes, too!). The support I've found in the maintainers forum has been absolutely key to my keeping my weight off. Come on over and check us out, or again, poke around the website and find a place you feel comfortable. Welcome!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #4  
It's a beautiful day

S/C/G: 235/209/165

Height: 5'8"

oh i know just how you feel--i look in the mirror and see the same person i've seen for years and can't believe i can fit in these new clothes i have--but every once in a while someone will make a comment-nice or otherwise!--and i realize that this is not how other people see me--they don't see that "fat chick"--this kinda wakes me up!!
i think its a change that comes with time--at least it is for me!!

have a great day~caroline
caroline1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:09 PM   #5  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

your body image is just so distorted! i think it happens to a lot of women after they lose weight. you're so used to being the "fat" girl that its hard to see yourself accurately. maybe try to find a therapist who deals with body image issues?
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:28 PM   #6  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

From one newbie to another, welcome to the forums. I wish I could give you some good advice, but I have only just started my weight loss journey and pretty much look exactly the same. Good luck to you and congrats on what you have achieved already.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:54 PM   #7  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I agree with Megan - take pictures. Mirror images just don't work.

Also, try to notice your shape in unexpected places. Look for your shadow. Catch a glimpse of yourself as you walk by a store window, notice your clothing as you fold your laundry.

I still click on my goal picture link regularly - just to convince myself that I really don't look the same any more.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:16 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 244/226/140

Height: 5'3"

Megan's suggestion about pants is very good. I still have pants from my last year maximum (273 lbs) a when I feel depressed about my weight, I take them from closet. Those pants are really monstrous. And when I pull them on, I can say to myself: "I am lucky I didn't gain everything back! And now back to work!"

Last edited by ayumukasuga; 09-15-2009 at 03:16 AM.
ayumukasuga is offline   Reply With Quote