Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-12-2009, 06:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 201/See Ticker/152

Height: 5'8"

Default Cardio/Weight Training Question

Hi. I was hoping someone could help me with a dilemma I have. I have lost about thirty pounds with eating well and exercising. But I am kind of unsure about the exercise that I'm doing.

I am "big-boned", as it is so wonderfully called. I am also strong and my muscles show when I am really using them. So what I am wondering is if I need to use weights to "tone", if underneath my "flab" there are muscles there.

I jog, and I just started ramping up my jogging routine to get the most out of my work out. So what I'm wondering is this: If jogging causes me to lose more weight, will the muscles underneath show up eventually, or do I need to weight train as well? Do I have to tone? Can I just jog and that's it?

Any help would be great!!
Steen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Well think of it this way..if you start resistance training that "flab" will fall off all that much quicker! Because building muscle revs your metabolism up to the point where you burn more calories while just sitting there and doing nothing. Now since you said that your muscles show up fairly easily then you definitely don't want to use a lot of weight because then you'll bulk. So I think the key for you would be to use lighter weights and do lots of reps or use a resistance band. Keep up your cardio as well but try to resistance training 3 days a week. Hope this helps, good luck!! :-)

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

I am new to weight and resistance training, but I would say that it is beneficial to everyone! Just think about it, when you do things like over head press, your body and bones are all getting stronger...squats help your knees.
Also the exercise you do helps the other exercise you do become...more efficient. I feel that after doing the Shred I was able to run a little faster and farther (I am new to running, it is hard for me)
So, yes definitely do it!
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen View Post
Hi. I was hoping someone could help me with a dilemma I have. I have lost about thirty pounds with eating well and exercising. But I am kind of unsure about the exercise that I'm doing.

I am "big-boned", as it is so wonderfully called. I am also strong and my muscles show when I am really using them. So what I am wondering is if I need to use weights to "tone", if underneath my "flab" there are muscles there.

I jog, and I just started ramping up my jogging routine to get the most out of my work out. So what I'm wondering is this: If jogging causes me to lose more weight, will the muscles underneath show up eventually, or do I need to weight train as well? Do I have to tone? Can I just jog and that's it?

Any help would be great!!
Congrats on jogging and losing weight, but if you really want to increase your weight loss and metabolism definitely start weight training... A doctor was shocked that a woman my age, 50 at the time, had no knee problems from running. Then he found out I was weight training and said that's the reason I have no joint problems because the joint are only as strong as the ligaments and muscles holding them and this was because of weight training... So, yes, by all means start weight training and watch the muscles pop and the weight loss soar
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #5  

Even if you have muscle you will benefit from weight training. I used to be a cardio junkie (and still do cardio 6 days a week) but after I added 2 days of weight training in there I really started to see results. And the great thing is watching the muscles show up more and more as I lose weight.

Like the poster above me I built my muscles up - especially around my knees (or rather my trainer did!) - before I started running and so far, knock on wood, I've been injury free.
getfitchicks is offline   Reply With Quote