100 lb. Club - I've stopped writing my food down:

Ryanne
09-12-2009, 03:36 PM
And it seems a little more than strange after doing it for soooo long. But I figure I have my monthly menu, so I know what I am eating when, there is no need to write it down and be so anal about it.
I'm definitely into my charts and graphs and accountability, but it's time to stop being obsessive about losing weight, and really just start living life, cuz I feel like I'm focused on this alllllllll the time! It's time to find another hobby and just do this as part of living. I need to focus on God first and then everything else needs to be balanced well.
I am seeing that since I have stopped working, I have obsessed about food, what to eat, what not to eat, how many carbs, proteins, dairies...etc.... and then the scale had to go, which it doesn't stay gone, but not AS obsessive as I was... I just don't want to look back on my life and think I missed out on enjoying my life cuz I was obsessed about food or not eating or eating, or losing weight or gaining weight...blah blah blah.
I feel like in a way, I am sooooo glad I have had all this time to relearn, decide what I want to do as far as a plan for me and my family, get the meals figured out...but now that it is all learned and redundant, I need to do something different, like learning to enjoy each day of my life instead of missing it.
Have you ever had a family member that you missed, even though they were right there playing on the computer or busy doing something??? Well, that is how I feel about myself. I miss me... I miss having fun and enjoying myself, I think my children must miss me too and would rather not have a weight obsessed mom.
I can do this without being obsessive...I can be aware, and do what is right without obsessing.
So, last night I decided to get rid of my journal that I keep track of weight, food and exercise and I put it away. One day, I may be able to throw it away, but I haven't used it today. It has become a habit, so it seems weird not to be writing in it... but also feels good to have the freedom from it.
What's funny is, I was thinking, "If I am not doing that, what am I going to do with my time?" Now see? That is an addiction. What will I do with my time? I will live, laugh and enjoy myself. I will do what I want when I want. I will clean the house, do laundry and if I want, I can sit down and watch a movie. I can play on the computer, read a book... I can take time for me. Obsessing wasn't changing my weight loss any faster anyway...was it???? LOL.... of course it wasn't. I am freeing myself!
:woohoo:

Ryanne
09-12-2009, 03:53 PM
Sometimes I am afraid if I don't obsess, then it might not happen because my focus isn't constantly on that thing I am obsessing about. Does that make sense? Basically if I eat right and exercise, that is all that is needed to lose weight, right? My focus doesn't have to be completely one hundred percent on it all the time. :?:

yoyoma
09-12-2009, 04:12 PM
Absolutely! I find that I can accomplish whatever my top priority is. Everything other than that is iffy. Weight management has been a high priority for me, but not my top priority over the last year. And I haven't jouraled for the last year.

The good news: I haven't gained any weight for the last year. The bad news: I haven't lost any weight either, which I have been trying to do. You may have more success, since it sounds like you have a fixed menu, which I don't.

As of today, I started journaling again. Maybe when I get to my final goal I will be able to go back to maintenance without journaling.

Good luck with your approach!

WhitePicketFences
09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
How long had you been writing down everything you ate?

It is important to know thyself and presumably you do (you sound happy).

All I know is, for me, past attempts eventually fell to the wayside after I stopped writing down what I was eating. I would do it for 2 months and then bam, I'd either stop writing down everything or stop entirely. Now I am actually planning on doing it .... forever.

In any case, good luck, with both life and loss.

lottie63
09-12-2009, 04:25 PM
I will probably be journaling forever. I tried to stop, to 'eyeball it' and I Gained 10 lbs. My friend did the same, she gained 25.

:(

I wish you better luck than we had!

On another note, I dont' feel that i am obsessing these days. i always do at first, but....it kind of just faded out to just tracking and exercising and not completley obsessing on food. So I think I've reached the only happy medium I will probably ever know.

Ryanne
09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
How long had you been writing down everything you ate?

It is important to know thyself and presumably you do (you sound happy).

All I know is, for me, past attempts eventually fell to the wayside after I stopped writing down what I was eating. I would do it for 2 months and then bam, I'd either stop writing down everything or stop entirely. Now I am actually planning on doing it .... forever.

In any case, good luck, with both life and loss.

A very very very long time. But my point is, I make monthly menus and it is already balanced. If I trade something in the menu out it is "like for like"...say a carb for a carb or a protein for a protein. I have monthly menus, so all I am journaling is what is already on the menu.
So, I feel I am being obsessive and redundant. Plus that is not the only thing I was journaling though, I was journaling my exercise, which I do every day anyway, it's not going to change, but I was also journaling my weight, and this may be tmi, but how many bowel movements in a day, etc...
I just feel like I am putting wayyyyy too much emphasis and thought into "weight issues" and that is not helping it to come off any faster. It's like "worrying about money won't put it in your pocket"....
I don't know if I am making sense to anyone else but myself. Maybe it's just me who is overly obsessive. Sigh.

bargoo
09-12-2009, 04:55 PM
I still write everything down and plan all meals ahead of time. This is a small price to pay in order to maintain the weight I have lost It was when I didn't plan that I found myself over 200 pounds. I have been on many diets and was able to lose but never knew how to keep it off. When I came to 3FC I asked the long time maintainers how they did it . Their answer......they keep it off the same way they lost it. What a concept !! It works !! I still keep a food diary, still plan every bite .

Alana in Canada
09-12-2009, 05:09 PM
Try it. I hope it works for you! Give it, what, two weeks, and see how you are doing. One of the reasons I like my "plan" is that I have a chart I fill out every day. I track how many dairy, proteins and carbs I eat--and then tick it off on the chart. So, for example, the omelete I ate for lunch with a slice of buttered rye toast means I check off one protein, one veggie, one bread and two fats. I have only my suppers planned: so this is my way of keeping track of what's what.

But your plan sounds far more structured thab mine and the additional recording after the fact may be going too far. After all, having a weight problem involves more than eating too much. If you feel it's time to stop obsessing, then it probably is.

Good luck with it and if you need to reintroduce some kind of record keeping, maybe you'll find one that's simple and doable. And if you don't need to then that's great too.

cfmama
09-12-2009, 05:48 PM
I wish you much luck with it.

I lost 148 lbs through being obsessive and STILL enjoying my life and everything in it. If I DON'T make losing weight my top priority than I don't lose weight... plain and simple. But that's ME and not YOU. It's something to keep in mind for sure though.

duqserb
09-12-2009, 06:04 PM
I feel that I am very obsessed with everything down too. I'm constantly thinking and planning what I will eat next and it kinda drives me nuts. All I ever talk about to people is how many calories this or that is and what I made for lunch or dinner. Everyone thinks I'm nuts because I talk about this stuff all the time yet everyone thinks I'm just fine, they don't think I need to lose weight. But I know my own body and I know I need to lose at least 10 pounds to finally feel comfortable in my own skin. But anyways, I totally related to this post. I also tend to start doing bad if I stop writing everything down. But give it a shot, like you said you already have your monthly menus planned out. I guess it's more important for you to remember to change it if you ate something different for that day. Good luck to you!:D

~D~

Ryanne
09-12-2009, 06:13 PM
Cf Mama, that is the problem...I feel like when I am obsessing, that I am not truly "enjoying" my life. I don't know, maybe I can't walk and chew gum. When you say "obsessing" are you meaning really obsessing or are you meaning just being very very structured? Cuz I'm Obsessing Obsessing...and it is getting frustrating to have no movement on the scale or only a lb. per week or whatever....I mean, yes, that is good... but I actually tend to "second guess" myself, did I drink enough water, did I eat a protein with a carb....argghhh, it goes on and on.... that's why I have every single meal planned out, and I have a snack or two planned out and that is what I buy at the grocery. I don't buy what is not on my list because financially I do have a budget.
I just feel it is wrong to obsess, but then I almost feel if I don't obsess then it won't happen for me cuz the victories I have always had, I kind of obsessed over.... but it's exhausting! I think that if I could stop obsessing and just learn to enjoy peace that I wouldn't "feel" so uptight all the time.
It's like I almost "have to have something to keep my mind on all the time". I worked for many years...so I am used to having a lot on my mind and being stressed, that now that I am not working, I am creating ways to stress myself...or to feel like what I do is important... because it's kind of boring just taking care of the house and the kids and making sure everyone is happy.
I would like a job, but I made a choice to stay home this year. But focusing on what is wrong with me or obsessing about getting something done that you really can't decide it's deadline...ie, you can't make the weight come off faster than it is coming off...I don't feel like I have the control over this like I do when I am in charge at work, and having deadlines and having people do what I say and getting stuff done on time.
It's a whole new world I am in and I would like to get comfortable and enjoy it, not have time pass me by and then look back later and wonder why I didn't enjoy myself.
None of us knows what tomorrow holds...all we have is today, and I would sure like to learn to enjoy it without feeling guilty or feeling like I have to be worrying about something in order to "feel right"...
I'm not happy obsessing about weight, and I can't command my body to do something more than it is going to do. All I can do is control what goes in my mouth when and that I do some form of exercise each day. If I look at it that way, I can suck the joy out of the obsession...can't I?

Ryanne
09-12-2009, 06:15 PM
I feel that I am very obsessed with everything down too. I'm constantly thinking and planning what I will eat next and it kinda drives me nuts. All I ever talk about to people is how many calories this or that is and what I made for lunch or dinner. Everyone thinks I'm nuts because I talk about this stuff all the time yet everyone thinks I'm just fine, they don't think I need to lose weight. But I know my own body and I know I need to lose at least 10 pounds to finally feel comfortable in my own skin. But anyways, I totally related to this post. I also tend to start doing bad if I stop writing everything down. But give it a shot, like you said you already have your monthly menus planned out. I guess it's more important for you to remember to change it if you ate something different for that day. Good luck to you!:D

~D~

EXACTLY!!!!

kiramira
09-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Gotta hand it to you girl! I posted something very, very similar a couple of weeks or so ago, questioning exactly what you state in your post, and got seriously spanked by both posters and moderators alike! And by pm, too!!!

Let us know how it goes...this internal debate is really, really important and it will be interesting to see how your philosophy works for you.

:hug:

Kira

Ryanne
09-12-2009, 07:28 PM
I think I will try this on a trial basis, maybe try a thirty day habit breaker period and see if my results are still the same.
It is definitely an internal struggle.
:grouphug:

kiramira
09-12-2009, 07:53 PM
It sure is. And in any event or outcome, you'll have learned something about what you'll need to do to keep on your journey. And THAT is a good thing...

Kira

Lori Bell
09-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Good luck with that. I hope it works out for you.

starfishkitty
09-13-2009, 04:03 AM
Not only that.... I think that everyone is going to be different. Some people have learned how to eat the right way and can manage without writing it down forever... and maybe there's some of us that can't!

Personally, I have every single bill that I need to pay each month written down in a notebook, along with my incoming and outgoing monies just so that I can keep track of it and make sure nothing screwy happens and messes up the whole system. Are you going to tell me that if I do that for a year and plan on doing it indefinitely that there's something wrong with it? I know myself, I know I can never handle NOT writing it down because if I do, things will get messed up. HOWEVER, I also know and respect the people that are out there that CAN get everything done, all bills paid, etc, without having to write it down. I envy them, in fact, but I don't doubt their abilities.

To each their own. If it works for you, then what's the beef??? (no pun intended, hehe)

JayEll
09-13-2009, 07:04 AM
Hey! :wave:

Ryanne, yeah, the way you describe it, it does sound like you're obsessed.

However, there is a difference between being obsessed and paying attention. It could be that you just need to find where that line is. :)

Since you plan out your food a month in advance, that may be all the planning you need. It might be that all that list-making etc. was unnecessary and compulsive. I agree that you should try giving that up for awhile if it's making you nuts.

Just a caution: It can be really easy to lose track and slip back into the habits that led to becoming obese--especially if one thinks of "fun" as meaning "no restrictions." So, on whatever schedule you choose, do check your weight from time to time just to make sure things are still working.

Good luck!
Jay

Ryanne
09-13-2009, 08:15 AM
Hey! :wave:

Ryanne, yeah, the way you describe it, it does sound like you're obsessed.

However, there is a difference between being obsessed and paying attention. It could be that you just need to find where that line is. :)

Since you plan out your food a month in advance, that may be all the planning you need. It might be that all that list-making etc. was unnecessary and compulsive. I agree that you should try giving that up for awhile if it's making you nuts.

Just a caution: It can be really easy to lose track and slip back into the habits that led to becoming obese--especially if one thinks of "fun" as meaning "no restrictions." So, on whatever schedule you choose, do check your weight from time to time just to make sure things are still working.

Good luck!
Jay

Yeah, it is literally an obsession and I don't want to be obsessed with it anymore, but I also don't want to "trade obsessions" and just say if I am not obsessed with this what can I be obsessed with. I just need to stop being obsessed about anything.
See, I am following the docs advice about what to eat, and I have made monthly menus: so here's the thing, according to doc, I need to watch sat fats, salt intake and sugar. I have hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and high triglycerides. I also have ibs-c, and I am on meds for chronic anxiety disorder and depression/ post traumatic stress syndrome.
So, what he suggests as far as diet is: unlimited fruits and vegies, but at least 4 vegies per day and try to up green leafies and at least 3 fruits, Complex Carbs 4-8 and try to up oats, 2-3 lean meats, avoid sat fats and try to have fish at least 2x per week, 3 organic fat free dairies, and 3-5 monounsaturated fats.
So this is what I based my menus off of.
It is supposed to be about health, but as I was seeing the numbers go down, it got about more than just health, I want to see those numbers move. I want to look good, too.
It's just I got caught up in it and I have before, when I lost so much weight, but the reason I could not keep it off is because I got to where I underate or overexercised. I don't want to do that this time...and I'm afraid to be obsessed, but also afraid not to be. I want to be aware, have a plan and stick to it, without thinking about it all day long and it taking up way more thought time than it should.
If that makes sense. :)

JayEll
09-13-2009, 09:23 AM
It makes perfect sense! :yes: Follow your doc's plan, and be done with it.

If you find yourself obsessing, pick up a book, go for a walk, do a crossword puzzle, start cleaning out the cupboards--whatever!

Jay

Ryanne
09-13-2009, 11:37 AM
It makes perfect sense! :yes: Follow your doc's plan, and be done with it.

If you find yourself obsessing, pick up a book, go for a walk, do a crossword puzzle, start cleaning out the cupboards--whatever!

Jay

That is what I am trying to do...stop giving so much thought time to that, but you make it so easy... you are absolutely right...I found a book I had bought a while back and I asked my daughter if it was hers...she said "no, you bought that one, mama"...I didn't remember buying it, but oh, well, it looks really good and it is just a fictional story...so I have that to do now. And the other suggestions are great, too.
Thanks for understanding. :)

losermom
09-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Ryanne, I agree with you. It sounds like your thoughts and behaviors are obsessive. I too would follow your Dr's directions with food and exercise. Those 2 things will guarantee that you will lose weight, maybe not at the pace that you want, but you will lose the weight. Take the very best care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. Your family needs you to be the best you can be. You are on the right track. I too would give this a try and monitor your progress, scalewise. It seems like a more balanced approach. Best of luck to you!

dragonwoman64
09-13-2009, 04:24 PM
ever heard that woody allen joke: Q: is sex dirty? A: only if it's done right. I tend to think dieting/losing weight tends to be obsessive in it's nature, the dieter gets to chose the level of obsession. I agree with the advice to do what works for you and makes you happy. I'm sure what constitutes both those things will change for you over time as your habits and mindset change. And both will change. That's why I don't consider most choices I make to be forever, or for the rest of my life. What I need or require at one point, will most certainly not be the same at another.

Yes, I have made the choice to eat healthily and exercise, and don't see myself ever going back to the bad habits I once had. I keep a general journal, of my weekly weight, with little notes. I don't write down everything I do or eat. I haven't gained back any weight I've lost since 2002 (a big achievement for me), I do lose weight slowly (some people would go nuts with how slow it can be for me).

I've been down that obsessive compulsive eating road, binging, the whole bit, I'd rather do it the way I'm doing it (even with the doubts I have sometimes), than go back to how I once was. Only you know what you're truly going through mentally with your diet and exercise routine, and what you need and what works. And like I said, that's going to change over time too.

we're lucky to have a variety of people here at 3FC with different perspectives and experiences. I learn something new every time I come and read here.

Ryanne
09-13-2009, 04:59 PM
I have learned so much since I started here. There are so many people with so many things going on that it makes it so easy to read someone else's story and be encouraged. I have so many areas of interest here at this site and it is amazing how well everyone lifts each other up.
I am glad for so many different perspectives. I sure do appreciate all the support and ideas from the members here. I have been going through a tough time, changing meds, and then realizing the obsession with diet/food/eat/don't eat/exercise....argghhh, but everyone has helped to encourage me and give me their point of view. Where else are you going to get so many people who really care about you and can actually "understand" what you are going through.
I am glad I found this place and am blessed by my new found support group.
I am grateful to you all. :grouphug:

CLCSC145
09-13-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm not one who writes down her food, but I do weigh much of what I eat and have a constant running list of what I've eaten in my head and at any point in the day can tell you exactly what I've eaten and how many calories I've taken in.

I think if mindless eating is one of a person's issues, then logging food is a very good habit to get into. Personally, I am very aware of every bite I'm eating with or without logging it. It's logged in my head in detail. So I don't keep a food journal for the same reasons you are stating - I'm already so obsessed with it all, I don't need yet another thing to obsess over!

Ryanne
09-13-2009, 09:05 PM
Exactly my point. I don't want to be obsessing over anything. I really need to find a hobby...LOL. :D

rockinrobin
09-13-2009, 09:30 PM
I really need to find a hobby...LOL.

And for me, that hobby is healthy eating and everything about it! I don't journal my food. Like CC, I keep a running tally in my head. Actually, I don't really have to bother doing that much. I pretty much eat the same or similar and interchangeable value calorie count foods. The counting has been done for me long ago. I plan my meals in advance, again in my head.

But as far as hobbies, well yes, I look at my lifestyle almost as a hobby. Well not the eating itself, but the things that lead up to the eating. I enjoy picking out produce and discovering new food finds. I've love looking up and creating new recipes. LOVE serving those creations to my family and friends. Love entertaining. Love my dining room. It's VERY decorated. LOVE my tablecloths and linen napkins, glass water bottles and pitchers, salt and pepper shakers, napkin rings, serving bowls, platters, baskets and the gijillion different and unusual items I have to enhance my and my family and guests dining experience. I love kitchen gadgets and all my different knives, lemon reamers, garlic presses, tongs, etc. I love shopping for them and using them.

I think for me, really, really enjoying the whole process of this lifestyle has been a key to me sustaining it.

I also think it's important to recognize when a change is necessary and to be open to tweaking things when one finds they are no longer working. And again be open to changing them again and again. As many times as need be. Whatever one has to do to make it work and keep on making it work.

Onederchic
09-13-2009, 09:55 PM
Whatever works for you then that is great. I am happy you don't feel the need to obsess. I hope it all works out for you :hug:

juliastl27
09-13-2009, 09:59 PM
michelle said it best, as usual. whatever works for you!

the idea of stopping my journal terrifies me, its the only reason i hold myself accountable and i KNOW id go severely off plan/track. we are all different. some people follow plans and never journal, other HAVE to.

best of luck and i hope it works out!!

Rosinante
09-14-2009, 03:34 AM
Kitty - I do exactly that with my money, and have done since Jan 2006, when a major financial disaster struck. It's actually in a Word document.
I have a separate page for utilities/dogs/car/health/gifts/holidays(vacations)/saving for a new car.
I've decided on how much of my monthly income I put each month into each page.
I enter bills, regular and occasional on every page. I don't make a note of every bar of soap I buy but I have a fixed amount I count as housekeeping, and if I get to the end of that, that's when my meals get more creative (for which read, 'odd') with oatmeal and beans and stuff.
I'm a great proclaimer of this method (based on Mary Hunt's 'Debtproof Living') but most people who ask about it think it's too time consuming.
Not really - and anyway, in 3 years and 9 months, I have no debts, I have been able to keep the dogs (had been advised to get rid/put them down as too expensive) and had some great holidays.
I'll take the time consuming.

Where am I going with this? Um. I guess that if being detailed and focussed shows good results, it's easier to stick to it. I'm working very hard to put the same effort into my weightloss, having proved I Can do it in other areas.

Basically, if I don't get my finances right, the consequences would be disasterous.
I need to get the same idea into my head about weight loss - if I don't get it right, the consequences would be disasterous too. I suppose it's that I can imagine all too clearly what will happen if I get my money wrong, came very close to that; I don't have a personal 'near-miss' experience of weight-related disaster.

Ryanne
09-14-2009, 09:07 AM
But that was part of my realization that my "weight loss" efforts were becomming obsessive and taking up way too much of my thought time. Basically, I have all my bills for the month/year figured out... and have Master Grocery Lists...and on those grocery lists I have a Needs Section and a Wants Section... I got to thinking, I have a financial plan and I just do it... I'm not obsessed with it, ie, "thinking about it ALL the time"..there is a plan and I do it and it works.
So why the big fuss when it comes to losing weight???? I have a plan, ie: my monthly menus, and I exercise daily... therefore, why be so totally consumed with it?
I have to tell you, the first day was a little difficult, yesterday was better and hopefully today will be even better. I was down 2 lbs. for the weekly weigh in this morning...so obsessing about it won't make weight come off faster... it may even hinder it if I am stressed about it. So, I have my plan... I will stick to the plan and everything will be fine.
I'm sure of it.
If I didn't already have my menu's done and was just loosey goosey about it, ya, I could see a problem, but not when I have a plan I can stick to and just forget about it the rest of the time and free my mind up for more beneficial things and have some fun already....I don't have to be so serious, and I don't have to be so anal about this.
:bubbles:

rockinrobin
09-14-2009, 09:18 AM
I agree that having a plan TAKES AWAY THE STRESS. KNOWING what I will be eating, planning it out in advance takes away the thought process come time to eat. It also takes away the decision making process. I've already pre-determined my good choices. It's all thought out IN ADVANCE. Nothing to think about. So for me, all my *thinking* about food is mapped out for me. Nothing to contemplate and *worry* about on a daily basis.

For many, not all, but for many, having that "you bite it, you write it" thing going on, helps to put the brakes on overeating. And that's what it's all about. Finding something to cease the mindless eating, the mindless calories.

I know for me, any and all time spent *thinking* about my food is not detrimental to my health, but ESSENTIAL to it. For me, it is time well spent. I spent so many years being miserable. So many years longing, hoping, wishing and praying to be fit, that I find any and all time not obessive, but highly, HIGHLY productive and worthwhile.

We all think of things in different terms. Different wordings and phrase. Different things clearly work for different people. I think the most important thing is to find the right balance.

Ryanne, I hope this works out for you. Sounds like it just may. And if not, it was just an experiment. One that you can keep on tweaking as need be. Whether it's in the near future or in the distance.

Hoping you find the right fit for you!

Thighs Be Gone
09-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Thank you for posting this.

I have decided after reading this thread I am going back to my journal. I haven't journaled consistently in probably 2 months. I haven't gained. The rate I am losing though is about a snail's pace. I do keep a running tally in my head but that is easily misguided--call it Mommy brain I guess--sometimes I forget what I have eaten.

My hobby and my passion is food, health, fitness and longevity--and sharing all it entails with my family. I have two sisters with MS, one sister with breast cancer and TWO babies to take care of. So, health is absolutely my NUMBER ONE priority. That being said, I do feel balanced this way. All good things follow me being fit, energetic and maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I do not in ANY way, feel as if I am robbing my family of anything. Actually, both me and my husband feel just the OPPOSITE. I am so much more ABLE AND WILLING to give of myself.

I do not do anything, eat anything or buy anything that I cannot do the rest of my life. I can journal the rest of my life with my spiral and a pen--just like before. No problem at all. It does work for me, the price is right and the time involved is almost nill.

I know everyone is different. But this is just my experience.

Thighs Be Gone
09-14-2009, 09:26 AM
p.s. RR--whether or not you journal makes no difference to me! You will always be 3FC's ROCKIN' ROBIN! LOL--you offer great advice and I have the utmost respect for your opinions--you have walked the path and fought the good fight for a long time now!

You make an EXCELLENT point regarding planning. I do something similar. Only the very *best* foods are brought into this house. A variety of fresh, wholesome whole foods, with superfoods being served daily. If it's not here, chances are I won't be eating it since we don't eat out--or very, very rarely.

Trazey34
09-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Ryanne I kind of LOVE YOU!!! lol I agree with the obsessing and it not being healthy - whether it's obsessing about what CRAP we were going to eat on next food binge, to obsessing over what healthy lunch we're having. I know how you feel, I (at times) ‘resent’ the time and energy I’ve had to invest in this, eating mindlessly was WAY easier LOL

I think your plan sounds great, to have all your food planned out for the week and just ‘live’. As everyone’s said, I’m sure you’ll re-evaluate along the way to be sure it’s still working for you! If this works for you, more power to you. I sometimes think if other people jump all over you and bash you for a choice, it's their issue not yours - maybe they're frightened of the idea of letting go of something so important to them at the moment, I don't know. but PLEASE keep us posted, I’m rooting for you!!!

Ryanne
09-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Ryanne I kind of LOVE YOU!!! lol I agree with the obsessing and it not being healthy - whether it's obsessing about what CRAP we were going to eat on next food binge, to obsessing over what healthy lunch we're having. I know how you feel, I (at times) ‘resent’ the time and energy I’ve had to invest in this, eating mindlessly was WAY easier LOL

I think your plan sounds great, to have all your food planned out for the week and just ‘live’. As everyone’s said, I’m sure you’ll re-evaluate along the way to be sure it’s still working for you! If this works for you, more power to you. I sometimes think if other people jump all over you and bash you for a choice, it's their issue not yours - maybe they're frightened of the idea of letting go of something so important to them at the moment, I don't know. but PLEASE keep us posted, I’m rooting for you!!!

Awww Trazey, YOU MADE MY DAY! I love you, too!!! Ya, I understand it is hard letting go or even realizing you do have an obsession.... but for me, I don't want to be obsessed with it anymore. Having the planned menus really does free one up.. and the thing is, if there really aren't set rules, you don't have to obsess about breaking them.
Just me, but it does make it easier. I so appreciate your attitude and your encouragement. :hug:;)

rockinrobin
09-14-2009, 11:11 AM
!

Trazey, Trazey, Trazey, .... I too love you, so please forgive me, but I can't let this go... Eating mindlessly easier? Come now. Oh maybe in the short term. Maybe. The very, very, VERY short term. But what about the long term? Heck, even the medium term. I don't know, but for me it is WAAAAAY easier being mindful of what I eat. In the medium term when I wasn't being mindful - I felt horrible - heartburn, carb stupor, lethargic, guilt ridden. In the long term? Oh my. I could fill pages on just how UNeasy it is when I ate mindlessly. Pages. I'll mention just a few. All right just one. Eating mindless led me to being morbidly obese. One of the most difficult things a person can be. :(

And all this talk of journaling? I've just been realizing that I'm letting a few nibbles here and a few nibble there sneak in. I think that I've just had a light bulb moment here. Could it be that I just may have to start journaling again? This is definitely something to think about. :dizzy:

if there really aren't set rules, you don't have to obsess about breaking them.

It just shows you how different we all really are. I LOVE and ADORE my self-imposed rules. LOVE THEM. And wouldn't you know it, I find them freeing. I don't obsess/think/ponder/consider eating so and so. It's totally and completely out of my mind...... It doesn't even begin to creep into my mind. It's actually miraculous to me. It still boggles my mind.

I mean, could you imagine a world without rules? Scary, right? I'm thankful that this society has some rules, guidelines and boundaries to follow. That's how I feel about the rules I've instituted. I am thankful for them. Thankful and grateful for them beyond belief. They've freed me up to enjoy life to it's fullest, and be the best mom to my children and improve the quality of my life beyond my wildest dreams.

Never a truer statement - different strokes for different folks.

junebug41
09-14-2009, 11:56 AM
It sure is. And in any event or outcome, you'll have learned something about what you'll need to do to keep on your journey. And THAT is a good thing...

Kira

This. This this this this this.

Spankings aside (;)), some folks absolutely need the rigidity that journaling entails. In fact, to those that it works for, it's not rigid at all.

For me, journaling is very unnatural, to the point where it's not a habit, but something that makes my head spin. For some, they try different things and always end up jounraling because it's straight forward. There are no lies. It's one linear thing in a non-linear process (weightloss).

For me, I've tried it. It just doesn't work for me. I've tried pen and paper. I've done fitday and daily plate. I. Just. Can't.

For example, I can look at my daily intake on paper and say, "hey. I should be losing weight here!" because all I'm seeing is what's on paper. And I don't lose weight with this method, because for me other factors are in play. Now, I HAVE learned other methods that require consistency and diligence, so my eating isn't a free-for-all.

I do think this "voice from the other side" is important because while journaling is very effective for a LOT of people, it simply doesn't work for some. And that's OK.

Best of luck in your trials. Always be mindful :)

Ryanne
09-14-2009, 12:01 PM
And all this talk of journaling? I've just been realizing that I'm letting a few nibbles here and a few nibble there sneak in. I think that I've just had a light bulb moment here. Could it be that I just may have to start journaling again? This is definitely something to think about. :dizzy:

It just shows you how different we all really are. I LOVE and ADORE my self-imposed rules. LOVE THEM. And wouldn't you know it, I find them freeing. I don't obsess/think/ponder/consider eating so and so. It's totally and completely out of my mind...... It doesn't even begin to creep into my mind. It's actually miraculous to me. It still boggles my mind.

I mean, could you imagine a world without rules? Scary, right? I'm thankful that this society has some rules, guidelines and boundaries to follow. That's how I feel about the rules I've instituted. I am thankful for them. Thankful and grateful for them beyond belief. They've freed me up to enjoy life to it's fullest, and be the best mom to my children and improve the quality of my life beyond my wildest dreams.

Never a truer statement - different strokes for different folks.

But see, that's the difference between you and me... you enjoy your rules for me, I was "obsessing" about it, if you can do it without obsession, then that is great. What my rules were: I have to journal whatever I eat, I have to this I have to that...argghhh...way too much thought time was going into it for me...I was constantly thinking about what to do, what to eat, what not to eat, when to exercise, what to do for exercise, work work work work work and then getting on the scale each morning...ughhhhh....
I am not talking about mindless eating, I am talking about having a plan... I have my three squares figured out, have my snacks figured out...blah blah blah... I know I'm gonna do some form of exercise each day or pretty much each day...
So why do I need to journal it. If I eat a meal, I eat a meal, if I decide to skip a meal, whatever that meal was I can break up into snacks throughout the day or just forget it altogether. Writing my food down and having to eat so many carbs, so many proteins, so many dairies...was just keeping me focused on food food food food food food, eat it, don't eat it... exercise, arggghhh.... enough already.
That my dear, IS OBSESSION, and I am not saying anyone else here is obsessed, that wasn't my point, my point is and was: I AM OBSESSED. I DON'T WANT TO BE OBSESSED ANYMORE. That's all, no more, no less. About rules, I meant "diet mentality" rules...so I am not talking about household rules or laws or anything like that... If I have a rule: NO chocolate, all I am going to want is the dang chocolate! I will be so obsessed with the chocolate that I will overindulge when I do decide to have it. My no rules are: Buy the chocolate, keep it in the freezer...if I want it, I have it... it is dark chocolate, it's a monounsaturated fat and has antioxidants anyway. Who cares. If I want it, I'll eat it...if I don't want it, I won't. No big deal, but if I make a rule I can't have it, I will have it anyway and probably more than if I didn't have a rule.
The only thing I really need to watch is my sat fats, and the only thing I need to up is my green leafies and my oats.
We definitely are all different, cuz the thing is if I don't have eating rules, then I am free.

Trazey34
09-14-2009, 12:05 PM
I'm glad you copied my LOL in the quote RR!!! it was a joke!! as in DUH shoving food in your face is super easy! I'm not that much of a dumb bunny that I don't know it was killing us all, otherwise why would i be here!

We're all so different in how we approach things, and I'm 100% behind Ryanne if she wants to try this, choices are what makes us human. If she monitors it and is successful than kudos to her. If she slips and has to go back to journalling, then lesson learned. I can't stress enough how much I believe that is no ONE RIGHT WAY to success, there's only the right way for each of us individually, sharing some common traits for sure.

Ryanne
09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
This. This this this this this.

Spankings aside (;)), some folks absolutely need the rigidity that journaling entails. In fact, to those that it works for, it's not rigid at all.

For me, journaling is very unnatural, to the point where it's not a habit, but something that makes my head spin. For some, they try different things and always end up jounraling because it's straight forward. There are no lies. It's one linear thing in a non-linear process (weightloss).

For me, I've tried it. It just doesn't work for me. I've tried pen and paper. I've done fitday and daily plate. I. Just. Can't.

For example, I can look at my daily intake on paper and say, "hey. I should be losing weight here!" because all I'm seeing is what's on paper. And I don't lose weight with this method, because for me other factors are in play. Now, I HAVE learned other methods that require consistency and diligence, so my eating isn't a free-for-all.

I do think this "voice from the other side" is important because while journaling is very effective for a LOT of people, it simply doesn't work for some. And that's OK.

Best of luck in your trials. Always be mindful :)

I can't say it any better than this. :)

rockinrobin
09-14-2009, 12:18 PM
Oh gosh, Trazey, I'm sorry. Do you sometimes think I take things a little too literally?????? I was just so afraid some lurker would think that it really IS easier to eat mind-lessly. Here I go again. I think we need a muzzle smile-y icon.

Ryanne, I understand you completely. And I did even before your last post and my last post. I did "get" what you were saying pretty much from your first post, in fact. Not only do I get what you're saying. I even agree with it and follow it. Well, some parts of it anyway. ;)

And then, yeah, what Junebug said.

Muzzle icon? Muzzle icon? Really gotta look into that one.....

Trazey34
09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
heh

Kelli
09-16-2009, 12:22 AM
Hi Ryanne,

I love how you say that you miss you, isn't that the truth, in the past I was so wrapped up in all the diet stuff, and it was so frusterating because the diet rules changed so fast.

You go girl, I am praying for you BIG TIME!!!

I have a suggestion that may help you with filling the time you used to journal...

You mentioned in your first post that you wanted to get closer to God, maybe you could just write your thoughts and feelings in prayer form instead of writing down what you eat or how many calories, etc.

I used to have the hardest time praying. I would start and somehow end up trying to compile a grocery list or something like that... so I started writing my prayers. That was about 20 years ago and it's so fun to go back and see how much God has done in my life... :)

Love, Kelli

Ryanne
09-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Hi Ryanne,

I love how you say that you miss you, isn't that the truth, in the past I was so wrapped up in all the diet stuff, and it was so frusterating because the diet rules changed so fast.

You go girl, I am praying for you BIG TIME!!!

I have a suggestion that may help you with filling the time you used to journal...

You mentioned in your first post that you wanted to get closer to God, maybe you could just write your thoughts and feelings in prayer form instead of writing down what you eat or how many calories, etc.

I used to have the hardest time praying. I would start and somehow end up trying to compile a grocery list or something like that... so I started writing my prayers. That was about 20 years ago and it's so fun to go back and see how much God has done in my life... :)

Love, Kelli

I didn't even realize that I had put that in my first post, Kelli... wow...but that is exactly what happened! After reading your Bible Study, it really drew me closer to where I now feel the obsession has fleed. Anyway, I used to do that, the prayer journaling, and well, I do want to do that again, thank you for reminding me of that. Ya, for me, that is much easier and also helps you learn alot about yourself. I am so glad you are here.
Well, all, have a good day, today is husbands day off of work, but not a day off for me at all...I need to get the dishes washed, and need to take the laundry down to the laundry mat we have here at the apts, and I have a lot of laundry, and I need to go to the grocery, and he has a dr. appt. this afternoon, he had surgery two and a half weeks ago.
I need to roast a turkey this afternoon, and then get everyone ready for Church tonight. So have a pretty big day ahead of me. I got my walk in before it threatened to rain, so I am happy that I got to get out and enjoy some fresh air early this morning.
Tomorrow they are going to spray the apt. building, so I need to take everything out of all the cupboards and get everything covered. Hopefully it won't rain tomorrow, we can spend the day at the zoo until it's safe to come home. If it does rain, I guess it will be the mall and maybe a movie.

:wave:

Beverlyjoy
09-16-2009, 11:28 AM
I too got so, so tired of writing it all down on paper. Some folks like putting their food choices in places like the daily plate, fitday, sparkpeople. That kind of drove me crazy.

When I stopped keeping track I gained some weight back. At that time - I injured my foot, DH lost his job and I became anemic. I had alot going on in my life. It is going back to writing things down that always centers me.

Sometimes I can keep track in my head and that's enough. But, when I feel like it's kind of getting sloppy in my figuring, I go back to writing it down. And keeping track of the calories.

I think it's different for everyone. Also, I think it evolves the longer you do it.

Ryanne
09-16-2009, 06:52 PM
We do continually evolve and learn and know what works for us and what doesn't. Trial and error is okay, and as long as you are well grounded you should be just fine.
:hug: