100 lb. Club - Fish Oil

View Full Version : Fish Oil

Jessica88
09-11-2009, 04:45 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has ever tried or heard about taking fish oil to lose weight?

I have read a lot about it online so I started taking it about an hour before I go to exercise everyday and it seems like it is working.

Does anyone else have any experiences with it?

Elladorine
09-11-2009, 04:48 PM
I was taking omega 3 oils throughout the majority of my weight loss and I definitely feel it has helped. I'm allergic to many types of seafood though, so unfortunately I've had to avoid fish oil. Instead I either take flax oil or add ground flax to my food. :)

Pita09
09-11-2009, 05:05 PM
I take fish oil and haven't noticed it doing anything for me weight. However, my hair and skin look the best it ever has, but that could because I'm generally eating better than ever before.

Jessica88
09-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I also heard that it does help your skin look better. I haven't really heard anything about hair yet, but that would be nice :)

I can't post links yet so if you google "Combining fish-oil supplements with regular aerobic exercise improves body composition and cardiovascular disease risk factors" there is an article on it from the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition there if anyone is interested.

Onederchic
09-11-2009, 05:48 PM
I just started taking it and biotin around 2-3 weeks ago due to hair issues and I can definitely tell a difference in how shiny and soft my hair is now.

CJZee
09-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Here is the link of the article you cited. (http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abstract/85/5/1267)

Thank you! It's very interesting, and yet another reason to eat fatty fish and take fish oil or flaxseed oil. I take fish oil (omega 3 fatty acids) every day, but I wasn't aware of the "losing weight" helpfulness.

I have been reading a lot about how we need to increase omega-3 fatty acids because our diet has too many omega-6 fatty acids, and the ratio between the two is important.

Also, fish (or flaxseed) oils are apparently great for heart health. For example, here is a remarkable quote from Dr. Stephan Guyenet from his WholeHealthSource blog:
The only "fat modification" intervention that consistently reduces total and cardiovascular mortality is omega-3 fat supplementation, ideally in combination with omega-6 restriction. This is supported by the results of the DART trial, the Lyon Diet-Heart trial, the ISIS trial and the the GISSI-prevenzione trial.

babybluess
09-11-2009, 06:36 PM
I started taking fish oil the end of July for heart health. I started dieting for real the end of May. That gives me end of May, June and first half of july without (2 months) and end of July through Sept with fish oil (2 months). I also take biotin in my B complex vitamins and eat healthy. ....so let me see. I have to say I lost more weight before fish oil. I do currently love my skin, nails and hair.

As a health care professional that reviewed the research for you.... There is no current link between weight loss and fish oil.

Here is a good site for looking up info on drugs and supplements. Here is the link on fish oil.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-fishoil.html

shcirerf
09-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Fish oil is definitely good for the skin and hair. We sell a lot of a fish oil treat at the veterinary hospital for dogs with itchy skin and yukky hair. Stuff works great.

babybluess
09-11-2009, 07:37 PM
:hug:I read the article provided by CJZee. It had some very good parts to it and some thing I did not like. ...but all research is like that. I'm pretty picky but over all the article was a good source. One thing they did that I like was use a DEXA scan to measure body fat. It is the gold standard for getting tissue make up for the body.

So this is what the article claims.
"Results: Both fish oil and exercise independently reduced body fat
(P is less than 0.05)." I wasn't able to cut and past the less than symbol so I wrote it for those that are checking my accuracy.

The truth: Only those that took fish oil and exercised had a reduction in percent body fat.
Those with fish oil alone stayed the same.
Those that were in the sunflower oil actually gained in percent body fat and those that exercied and took sunflower oil stayed the same. For those looking at the article see Table 1 under Body Fat%.

So what was actually statistically significant???? OK...this is what they say in the results

"Oil and exercise interactions were also evident
for fat mass (exercise x time, P less than 0.05; oil x time, P less than 0.05;
Figure 6), which indicated that both FO supplementation and
regular aerobic exercise reduced fat mass."

Ok....so looking at the figure. Here is what they are saying is the big change in body fat The change in mass as measured by DEXA.

For fish oil only people..... they lost 200g lean mass and 200g fat mass.

200g is about 1/2 lb. So if both lean and fat mass increased what decreased I ask???? And why didn't they say they saw a loss in lean mass also? I guess it doesn't make for hot headlines when they say you lose lean mass.

People that were in the Fish oil and exercise group..... Lean mass increased by 300g and fat mass decreased about 1500g. Which you would expect with exercise.

They did not have an exercise only control group

It took me about an hour to go through and break down that article. But knowing the truth is important. There is no magic pill. We know that it takes hard work and good friend for support like we have here.

blkbarbie25
09-11-2009, 07:42 PM
I take fish oil and haven't noticed it doing anything for me weight. However, my hair and skin look the best it ever has, but that could because I'm generally eating better than ever before.

What she said ^:D

caryesings
09-11-2009, 08:08 PM
I seem to be the walking anti-advertisement for supplement weight loss claims. Remember when green tea was the latest weight loss solution? Well I've been drinking at least a quart of green tea a day for at least 10 years just because I prefer the taste and laughed my 250+ a** off when "they" started claiming drinking green tea would blast off the fat. Now I'm getting the same chuckle about fish oil. Have been on fish oil supplements for at least 5 years, for heart health. Didn't lose an ounce during that time (until I embarked on this specific WOE that is).

Jadebatdog
09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
One thing to warn you guys about, my Dad was taking fish oil until his doctor told him that he had a bunch of risk factors for high cholesterol so he was told to stop taking it. He's not overweight or anything either, I can't remember what the risk factors are but you might want to ask your doctor about it.

CJZee
09-11-2009, 08:17 PM
It took me about an hour to go through and break down that article. But knowing the truth is important. There is no magic pill. We know that it takes hard work and good friend for support like we have here.

Hi babybluess -- thank you so much for going through this research and translating it. I've got to tell you that I'm very upset with many of these researchers whose abstracts and conclusions do NOT fit the actual content of the study! It is amazing to me as a lay person that they actually *lie* often by omission in summarizing their own study! How does that help anyone???

If you can't trust the people who actually did the study to recap it accurately, whom can you trust?

toastedsmoke
09-14-2009, 03:37 AM
I've taken cod liver oil pretty much everyday since I was 5 years old (with a brief hiatus in my teens), and I was chubby. However, last week I didn't take my vitamins at all and lost 0.2 lbs and this week I was back on track with them and I lost more. So really, I don't know. It's good for you though so it's probably not a bad idea to take it irrespective.

Beverlyjoy
09-14-2009, 06:11 AM
I've taken fish oil daily for a couple of years - as others have mentioned...it's wonderful for hair and skin. However, I haven't noticed that it effected my weight loss one way or the other.

kaplods
09-14-2009, 10:04 AM
I started taking fish oil as a "can't hurt to try," experiment after reading a study that found that fish oil reduced the pain and inflammation of arthritis in subjects enough that most were able to significantly reduce pain med use. Since I'd recently had to stop all NSAID use (they were triggering asthma-like symptoms), I figured any bit of help would be great.

My doctor had never suggested fish oil, but he as happy when I told him I was taking it. He recently told me to double my dosage, which I did.

Weight loss doesn't seem to be any different, in speed or quantity than before I was taking the fish oil.

Jessica88
09-14-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and looking in to the research! :)
I guess it doesn't hurt to take it even if it doesn't help fat loss

Thighs Be Gone
09-14-2009, 01:33 PM
Our whole family takes it. I think it's especially important for children!!! We use Nordic brand.

irishsarah
09-14-2009, 02:31 PM
I take an Omega 3-6-9 caplet a day. I know I don't eat enough foods rich in the Omegas, I never thought about a weight loss connection.

I also take a complete B vitamin complex, a vitamin D3 and a multivitamin. Oh and Melatonin at night.

Shannon in ATL
09-14-2009, 02:56 PM
I've started taking fish oil consistently only in the last few weeks. Before I went calorie crazy last week, I had lost 2 pounds in two weeks with the only changes being slightly decreased carb intake and increased fish oil while eating my maintenance calorie level. Could have been coincidence, don't know. The crazy last five days pretty much knocked the experiment out of the the water. :)

I have noticed my hair feels smoother, though. :)

kaplods
09-15-2009, 01:22 PM
One thing to warn you guys about, my Dad was taking fish oil until his doctor told him that he had a bunch of risk factors for high cholesterol so he was told to stop taking it. He's not overweight or anything either, I can't remember what the risk factors are but you might want to ask your doctor about it.

Good point, but I just wanted to add that people with cholesterol issues shouldn't assume that fish oil wouldn't be beneficial (but talk to your doctor, first). I had slightly high cholesterol (if I weren't overweight, it would be considered within the normal range and medication wouldn't have been prescribed). Because of my obesity and borderline diabetes, my doctor wanted me on a statin drug to improve my cholesterol to an "optimal" level, and because there are other benefits to statin drugs, especially to diabetic and obese patients.

My doctor also wanted me on fish oil supplements, because fish oil raises "good cholesterol." I'm on niacin (vitamin B-3) for the same reason.

It's very important to tell your doctor about all of the supplements you are taking, or would like to take, even so much as a daily vitamin. Many drugs have interactions, some dangerous, with vitamins.