WW Recipes - One point scones

View Full Version : One point scones

getfitchicks
09-10-2009, 06:14 PM
A few years ago at a weight watchers meeting the leader handed out a recipe for 1 point scones. I have NO idea what I did with it but would love to make them now. Does anyone have this recipe? Could you post it?

Thanks!

sotypical
09-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I think a 1 point scone would be pretty small.... the scones I make are probably 2 points, but they are pretty tiny!

These is the original recipe from Crazy Plates cookbook:

1 1/4 cups unbleached flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 ounces reduced fat cheddar cheese -- sharp, shredded
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon honey

Preheat oven to 425.

In a medium bowl, combine both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cayenne pepper. Stir in cheese. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.

Combine buttermilk and honey. Add to dry ingredients. Using a fork, stir to form a soft dough. Turn dough out on to a lightly floured surface. Form into a ball. Roll out dough to 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into 2-1/2-inch rounds using a biscuit or cookie cutter. Place biscuits on a cookie sheet coated that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake for 12 minutes, until biscuits have puffed up and are golden brown. Serve warm.

For mine I just do:

2 cup whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup skim milk

For flavors, sometimes I do cheese, or cheese and bacon. Or dill, or dill and feta, etc. Mix it up. I use online recipe builders to figure out calories based on what I add. I use only dill when I want them really low - and this reciepe *should* make about 14 - mine very rarely does ;)

Thighs Be Gone
09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
sotypical, I like your idea WAY better than the original idea!

If I want to do fruit scones (say blueberry or orange) I wonder how I would proceed.

sotypical
09-10-2009, 08:54 PM
sotypical, I like your idea WAY better than the original idea!

If I want to do fruit scones (say blueberry or orange) I wonder how I would proceed.

Hmmm I dunno. Honestly, the ones I made last night were kinda dry. I didn't think I would miss the butter out of the reciepe, but I might need it. I also don't roll mine out - I just make them in blobs, lol.

I think you would want them a little sweet to do fruit. I am not a big fruit scone fan, I love fruit muffins and loaves though!

getfitchicks
09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info.! I like fruit scones too but I think if you just add a tiny bit of sugar (2 tablespoons maybe) and then your fruit while eliminating the savory stuff you'd be ok...

As for for fruit loaves and muffins - I LOVE pumpkin bran muffins - low fat (2 weight watchers points) and the pumpkin keeps them moist. So SO yummy.

sotypical
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Incase you miss it in the other thread, I found it on the online weight watchers.

Classic Scones

desserts

POINTSŪ Value: 1
Servings: 12
Preparation Time: 18 min
Cooking Time: 15 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Serve these scones as the English do - warmed, split and filled with raspberries, alongside a cup of Earl Grey tea. Or accompany them with a fresh fruit salad.

Ingredients
1 cup(s) all-purpose flour
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp table salt
1/2 cup(s) low-fat plain yogurt
1 large egg(s)
1 tbsp margarine, melted and cooled
Instructions
Preheat oven to 425°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, egg and margarine. Add yogurt mixture to flour mixture, stirring until just blended; do not over-mix.

Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. Roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. With a sharp knife, cut into 12 wedges and place on baking sheet. Reduce oven temperature to 400°F and bake until golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

getfitchicks
09-16-2009, 12:32 AM
yay!! Thank you so much!