Weight Loss Surgery - protein rich recipes

View Full Version : protein rich recipes

jiffypop
07-15-2002, 09:22 PM
and who said we couldn't eat!!!!!!

here are a couple of recipes developed by my surgery buddy. the turkey chili sounds GREAT, and i might actually cook it!!

"Hello, I've created two new dishes for the gastric by-pass challenged eater. Enjoy!"

1) Start with a can of Progresso 99% Fat Free NE Clam Chowder. Add several small cooked shrimp, a few bay or sea scallops, a rock lobster tail or other shellfish or fish of choice. Heat and simmer 5 minutes. Divide into two portions. Save one and enjoy the other. Approx. 200 calories, 2 grams of fat and 15 grams of protein (our friend).

2) In a deep pot brown 1 lb. ground turkey, with diced garlic and onion in a little olive oil. Add 1 cup low sodium chicken broth, 2 cans white kidney beans (cannellini), and 2-4 oz. cans diced green chilies. Season with 2 tsp. oregano, 1 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. red pepper, 1/2 tsp. white pepper, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon (secret ingredient). Take one can cannellini beans and puree in a blender. Add pureed beans to the pot. Adjust the thickness with chicken broth to how you like it. Heat and simmer at least 20 minutes. Serve with low fat or fat free shredded mozzarella.
The best chili around!!!

debkay
07-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Thanks Jiff for sharing the recipes.

I have never tried ground turkey, have you? My Mom and Dad use it all the time, they say it's good, but just the thought doesn't sit well with me. I could use ground beef. I don't have any trouble with beef. And besides, beef is good for my iron stores, lol

Debbie

jiffypop
07-16-2002, 08:40 AM
hey deb...

ground turkey is kind of bland. it tastes ok, but needs a little help, in my book.

beef sounds great with this... could you let me know what seasonings you end up with? i'd love to try both versions.. and i'm SOOO glad you can eat beef!!!! so can i!!!

marc, my surgery buddy, is very conscious about the fat he eats, even though our surgeon doesn't much care, since we eat so little. so, he really limits cheese and beef and such things. i don't. and i'm STILL about 10 pounds ahead of him!!!! LOLOLOL

KCS1
07-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Here is a site I use for recipes
http://pub24.************/bwlsrecipes