100 lb. Club - I am a salsa addict...

View Full Version : I am a salsa addict...

momof5k
09-08-2009, 10:12 PM
and with all the fresh tomatoes coming in from my backyard I am craving tortilla chips and homemade salsa SO BAD!!

Is there such a thing as a non-fried tortilla chip???

I have looked and looked and cannot find any. There are baked pretzels, tons of baked potato chips, baked crackers...everything but what I want.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists? In Canada?

TIA :)

bacilli
09-08-2009, 10:14 PM
I've never seen baked tortilla chips, but it's easy enough to bake your own with corn tortillas, a squeeze of lime, and a bit of sea salt.

Onederchic
09-08-2009, 10:17 PM
I use to be addicted to tortilla chips with melted velveeta cheese and rotel tomatoes :o :|

But I will take some of your homemade salsa :D

cfmama
09-08-2009, 10:19 PM
Lay's makes baked tortilla chips ;) Just sayin!

chickybird
09-08-2009, 10:26 PM
I loooove to eat salsa with celery sticks. maybe I'm just weird, lol!

Bunnababy
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Salsa is very good with veggies. Making your own chips is easier than trying to find baked ones, which you have to watch because some of those chips have sugar in them. My dh and I bought the Tostitos scoops and our reasoing is that you fill one chip up with salsa and you will eat less chips. So far so good on that one. :carrot:

Trazey34
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
My garden exploded with tomatoes and I've been salsa-ing it up like crazy too!!! I take a w.wheat tortilla and cut it into triangle shapes and pop it in the oven til it gets crunchy, bob's yer uncle.

momof5k
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
So how is it that it never occured to me to make my own? :dunno:

I may give that a shot.

I did find those Baked Tostitoes Scoops online but can't seem to figure out if they are available in Canada? I was sure I had seen baked tortilla chips and then thought I must be losing my mind when I couldh't find them but we were on vacation in the States a few weeks ago so that may have been it.

Had I known, I would have stocked up!! ;)

Any Canadians out there know if we have them??

Thighs Be Gone
09-08-2009, 11:01 PM
Yep--use the 50 calorie tortillas from La Tortilla factory.

I also like "Soy Crisps" that are 7 calories each.

kellost
09-08-2009, 11:07 PM
I make homemade salsa pretty often, and my husband has started using "carrot chips" to dip in it. These are found in our grocery store near the regular carrots and bagged baby carrots, only they are pre-cut into a chip shape. It's admittedly not as tasty as real chips, but it works!

StellarGirl
09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
I'm a huge fan of delicious salsa mixed in with some canned chicken. I know it sounds weird...but it's SO filling...EXTREMELY lo-cal...and you get all the yummy salsa! It's kind of like a chicken salad that way. Super yummies...in fact...I might go make some right now! lol.

hpnodat
09-08-2009, 11:34 PM
my husband likes salsa on his scrambled eggs

cfmama
09-09-2009, 12:20 AM
I've found then here (In BC) in Superstore :)

ringmaster
09-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Yep--use the 50 calorie tortillas from La Tortilla factory.

I also like "Soy Crisps" that are 7 calories each.

I will have to look for these. What a good idea using them to make your own healthy-ier chips, it's something I really crave often.

I also use salsa in rice.

salsa chip
09-09-2009, 12:39 AM
LOL I thought this thread was about me for a moment there :O

harrismm
09-09-2009, 01:00 AM
LOL I thought this thread was about me for a moment there :O

Hee hee hee!!!;)

rockinrobin
09-09-2009, 06:03 AM
I LOVE salsa and eat it almost every day. With a plate full of veggies.

I have on occasion made my own chips. I use whole wheat pita bread. They're quite good. Too good in fact. ;)

sprklemajik
09-09-2009, 08:42 AM
I love salsa, but I eat it with baby carrots. Still the crunch, way less calories, way less salt.

Beverlyjoy
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
I am like chickybird - I love salsa with celery.

annie175
09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Shoot it is the salsa I crave, not the chips....I eat it with a SPOON!! Yep, sure do!

ubergirl
09-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Shoot it is the salsa I crave, not the chips....I eat it with a SPOON!! Yep, sure do!

HA! Me too.

Lori Bell
09-09-2009, 09:52 AM

hehe....my 10 year old does this! He has been on a junk food challenge so he's been off the chips, but he can't pass up his mamas famous salsa, so he pours himself a bowl and eats it like soup....:D

I love it on eggs, and baked potatoes, (instead of butter and SC).

Not to toot my own horn or anything....;) But I'm kindof famous for my salsa around here. I've made over 12 gallons of the stuff so far this summer, (Canned in quarts and pint jars). We seem to get more company once the season hits. :D

traci in training
09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Cut corn tortillas into wedges, spray both sides with cooking spray, sprinkle on a little kosher salt. Bake until crisp. The corn tortillas I use have 50 calories and make six decent sized chips. Pretty darn yummy. I make salsa and can it, so I make chips year round, too.

sweetandspicy
09-09-2009, 11:32 AM
I take corn/flour tortillas low fat high fiber ones. Cut them with a pizza cutter into triangles. Spray them with I cant believe its not butter spray and add some sea salt. Bake, but watch and flip. so they do not burn. my mom sprinkles hers with garlic and eats them like chips.

princess jen
09-09-2009, 12:13 PM
they are available in Canada I live in BC and buy them once per month. Safeway, Save on Foods, even walmart superstores has them.

cinderpa
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
I am eating my lunch as I am reading this thread... chicken breast on a multi grain wrap with lettuce and salsa YUM! Anyone have a good salsa recipe?

thisisnotatest
09-09-2009, 04:50 PM
I lovw salsa and put it on everything!
My absolute favorite is newmans pineapple-love it. I'm usually a stickler for organic, but I make an exception here because I just love it so much.
Ofcourse homemade would be best, but store bought tomatoes kinda suck :(

I use trader joes corn tortilla and toss into a stainless steel frying pan. No oil needed - just get your pan super hot, so they don't stick-crispy tortilla's in under a minute.

MugCanDoIt
09-09-2009, 05:23 PM
Oh I could just turn up a pint of fresh salsa and drink it!

pucedaisy
09-09-2009, 05:36 PM
Put that in a bowl and call it gazpacho!!

TheBabies
09-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I love salsa (the tomato dip) too. I make my own by putting all this stuff in the blender:
-- 1 big can of whole tomatoes
-- 4 jalapenos (makes it pretty spicy)
-- 1/2 of a sweet onion
-- cilantro
-- 3-4 cloves of garlic
-- innerds of 2 limes
-- salt to taste

blend all that for about 20 seconds then put into container with the other 1/2 of the onion and some of the chopped cilantro.

I had no idea that I could make my own salsa. I know I could add in mango or pineapple or other stuff like those fancy salsas. I use salsa as a salad dressing, in scrambled eggs, in burritos, on and on...

momof5k
09-10-2009, 01:14 AM
Thank you everyone! I will definitely continue my search...either for the elusive Baked Tostitoes or for the wonderful 50 cal tortillas to make my own.

In the meantime, I will continue to eat my salsa on scrambled eggs, with turkey in a wrap and will also try the veggies too (thanks! I can't believe I hadn't thought of that!!). I have also been known to eat it "straight up" :D

As for a recipe, it is a little bit different each time but generally:
ripe tomatoes (from my back yard this time of year :woohoo:)
a jalapeno or two (fresh and seeded)
a small can of diced chilis
lime juice
fresh cilantro
onions (white and/or red)
sometimes a bit of garlic too

I think that's it! With my new Vita Mix, I can throw it all in and it is ready in about 15 seconds. Yahoo!!

traci in training
09-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Lori Bell - my dad and brother call regularly to check my salsa production. They want to make sure I get enough made to support their habits as well as my husband and girls. The oldest daughter's boyfriend asked for a quart to take back to college with him last week. The youngest daughter called grandpa to report this and now there's a big discussion about the formula for adding a new boy to the distribution. It's quite funny! I've made 15 pints and 30 quarts this year and today's batch will probably be another 12 quarts.

Here's my recipe if anyone wants to try canning their own:

3-4 gallons garden tomatoes
4 sweet onions
4 green peppers - seeded
4 jalapeno peppers
1/2 cup canning salt
1/4 cup vinegar
1/2-1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons garlic powder
cornstarch

Blanch tomatoes to remove skin. Chop onions and peppers - I buzz them in the food processor. I leave the seeds in the jalapenos because we like some heat in our salsa. I core the tomatoes and then pulverize them in the food processor because my family likes smooth salsa, but you can skip this if you like it chunky. Put everything in a big pot with a heavy bottom. Cook about two hours. Mix 1 cup cornstarch with cold water, thicken salsa. Pack in clean hot jars. Hot water bath for 10-15 minutes. Let cool.

I only use "regular" tomatoes with high acid , but if you use any low acid tomatoes in the mix, add more vinegar. Your ph needs to be pretty low since you don't pressure can this. Of course, if you want to pressure can, you can leave out the vinegar.

momof5k
09-10-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks everyone! I baked my own corn toritlla chips and just ate a huge bowl of homemade salsa...and I don't even need to feel guilty about it!! :woohoo:

Who know it would be so easy? I baked three small tortillas and they had 130 calories. I didn't use any oil or salt and didn't miss it. It's ALL about the salsa for me anyway.

I haven't had a snack that felt so satisfying and yet guilt free in a long time!!