Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 09-08-2009, 06:45 PM   #1  
One with the Wind and Sky

S/C/G: 360/246/150

Height: 5' 8"

Default Workout Clothes?

I know you don't need to wear anything fancy, but I was wondering what everyone wears for their workout clothes? I've just started walking again and am seriously considering doing some beginner's jogging in the next few weeks. I'm not really all that self-conscious anymore, but I feel a little ridiculous and uncomfortable in jeans, don't care for sweatpants (which won't do in this heat anyway), and I don't think I'm ready to wear shorts in public yet. Did I just run myself out of options? I mean, I'm cool with wearing a t-shirt when I work out but don't know what to do about my bottom half when I go outside.

I feel a little out of touch anymore. I don't get out much, I don't see what people are wearing . . . I have no clue what's in style now and feel so lost in the plus sized sections of the stores (I'm about at a 22 at the moment). Do people still wear those track pants with the stripes on the sides? I just want to feel comfortable and not be self-conscious, but maybe I'm over-thinking all this.

Last edited by Elladorine; 09-08-2009 at 06:46 PM.
Elladorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I have been wearing one of my bfs tshirts and my undies but I work out inside, hehe
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

I hear ya about the shorts, no can do for me either. I like track pants when I work out, they make me feel like I'm Work-Out-Girl or something. In the summer I wear the short ones that cut off right under the knee and in the winter I wear the long ones. They're stretchy material but much looser than leggings of course. I only wear black ones but I don't mind if the stripe is white or blue or pink or whatever.

On top I wear my sports bra and a tank top. I can't wait to lose a little more weight so I can get cure matching workout clothes. Shorts in particular!

Try going to a place like Dick's or the Sports Authority. They sell tons of this stuff there.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:46 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 203 / 171 / 133

Height: 64"

I like yoga pants, capri length. No irritating riding up like with shorts, and no thigh rubbing, plus not too tight.
RMatS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #5  
Harl-E-quinn Groupie

Height: 5'6

i try to look nice even when i work out .... ( just makes me feel better ) i have some 3/4 length jersey material guacho pants i wear with a cap sleeve v neck t shirt ... covering and flattering !
CHUNKEY_MUNKEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #6  
slowNsteady wins the race

S/C/G: 191/ticker/145

Height: 5'-4"

I absolutely love Target for workout clothes. I'll often stop by the workout clothing dept when I'm just in there for something else to see if they have any new colors or patterns. Wearing colorful spandexy running tops for my jogs makes me feel more confident, as though I really AM a runner.
rocketbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:33 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 142/ticker/122

Height: 5'7"

I've got several pairs of the capri and long jogging pants from Addidas and Nike. They're very comfy and wash up well (aka don't shrink!). I also have picked up some Addidas, New Balance and Nike wicking shirts/tanks - they're great because they do keep you cool and dry. I usually buy mine at TJMaxx or Marshalls because I'm a tightwad.
ShrinkingAmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #8  

Height: 5'11"

I second Target as a good source of workout stuff. When I was at my heaviest, I bought some workout pants in the men's department but they have a great selection in women's as well. Wearing real workout clothes makes me feel more like an athlete when I am out doing my walking/jogging. Like others mention, I like the capri length. They offer lots of coverage, but they're not big heavy pants.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Capris with a slight flare at the hem are nice. They give you coverage but really are cooler than full length pants. And I love stripes on the side. Also, I find t-shirts with a bit of shape make a *world* of difference compared to traditional boxy, big-sleeved tees.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-08-2009 at 11:07 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 08:00 PM   #10  
hand to mouth disease?

S/C/G: 261/see ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

The (ahem) Men's section of K-Mart has black and grey and navy inexpensive long-cut shorts and nice pants. I buy a pack of Hanes T-shirts or tanks.

I'm currently about a size 18, and I'm wearing a men's Large just fine. Right now, K-mart men's workout shorts are on clearance at my location for $1.50. can't beat that paired with hanes T-shirts for the gym.
weebleswobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #11  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Ditto on Target - they have decent, yet inexpensive workout clothes. I am also a capris or compresson bike short fan, they don't chafe or ride up. My only additional advice would be to stay away from cotton. Cotton holds the moisture in and chafes, in my experience. I would advise non-cotton, wicking material (like dry-fit), they are much more comfortable than cotton. Target has workout clothes in that kind of material.

Also - if you are considering jogging, invest in a well-fitting, supportive bra top and good running shoes. The best place to be fitted for running shoes is a running specialty store. That costs a bit more, but good shoes can prevent injury so consider it an investment in your feet, ankles and knees!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #12  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Duplicate

Last edited by Idealmuse; 10-29-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM   #13  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

These running capris are awesome http://www.danskin.com/runningtight-9789.html and on super-sale right now. I workout in these nearly all the time for both Run/Bike etc. They compress enough to cut down on the jiggle, and prevent that lower leg squish out the shorts and have a handy little pocket on the back for keys/money etc.

The XL are pretty forgiving room wise... as a comparison I'm wearing the M size and I'm a few sizes larger then the sizes listed so they are very forgiving.

They lasted much longer then my target c9 running capris (better material) and they are a steal at this price! Do a web search for a Danskin coupon they are usually out there and free shipping over 75 I think. Oh here is a coupon for 15% until the end of the month: PUMPKIN

I'd get more but I have 5 pairs now. Hehe.

Last edited by Idealmuse; 10-29-2009 at 02:33 PM.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 240/234/150

Definitely yoga pants! Lululemon! I'm a size 22 and I can still wear the lululemon pants.
I absolutely love them!
And I got an Enelle sports bra, super supportive. It makes me a lot less self concious when jogging.
nicollem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #15  
Angie

S/C/G: 276/208/135

Height: 5'3"

I picked up my favorite workout pants at Walmart for $13. They're Danskin black relaxed fit yoga pants. They are comfy.

I second getting a fitted T-shirt, the view of my boobs and tummy during downward facing dog is no bueno.
tweetlebeetle is offline   Reply With Quote