Old 09-07-2009, 06:01 PM   #1  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Default Question

I was jest wondering Do you weigh your Protein Before or After it has Been cooked. Also is using a No salt sub a good thing or not. Jest ate Brussel Sprouts and Missed my salt Got to Find Something to give these Veggies some Flavor.

Bonnie
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:13 PM   #2  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I weigh mine before and I am sure these ladies will have tons of info on how to flavor your veggies. I would but I am boring and eat em plain or with pepper
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:24 PM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I weigh it before hand.

As for flavoring veggies. I roast most of the veggies that I eat. That in and of itself gives it LOTS of flavor. I also use TONS of spices on my vegetables. Depending on what I'm in the mood for and what veggie - cumin, chili powder, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, rosemary, thyme, cinnamon, basil, Parmesean cheese, Mrs. Dash, lemon juice, chicken broth, balsamic vinegar. There's also fresh onions and garlic and other herbs. The list is endless. Be creative!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

What Robin said!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 PM   #5  
Bunnababy

S/C/G: 294/261/150

I am with Robin on the seasonings for veggies. I feel for you on the salt as I just had to start watching sodium.

I tried roasted okra last night and it was yummy. I am going to get some when I got to town.
Bunnababy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I do put salt on my veggies... from a health perspective, it's really not necessary to limit sodium unless you have a specific health condition that warrants it. If you're not drinking soda and eating salty chips, you can probably sprinkle a little table salt on your veggies with no problem.

Another tip-- don't boil them in water. They get kind of boggy and soggy. I like to stir fry in PAM and then simmer in a little vegetable broth. I also like roasted vegetables.

Lots of spices and garlic really do help too!

On brussel sprouts, try fresh lemon or lime juice and lots of black pepper.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I was just going to mention that about salt. I do use salt in my cooking. I no longer have high blood pressure. And given the fact that I rarely eat out and eat minimal amounts of processed foods (where most high levels of sodium stem from), I'm not at all concerned about my sodium intake.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

In addition to Robin's excellent list - I like Mrs. Dash - the salt-free one. I like adding ranch powder (bulk from Sam's Club), and just experimenting with different spice combinations.

Check out some of the online recipe sites for ways to season veggies, then keep experimenting until you find what you like.

When I first started, I hit the dollar store and bought some spice blends - Adobo, 5 spice Chinese, Italian, Mexican, etc. They helped me get started, and I branched out from there.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 09:57 PM   #9  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

On the weighing thing, I sometimes weigh before (aiming for 4oz) or after (aiming for about 3 oz). I cook for a family of 6 so trying to remember which chicken breast is mine can get a big frustrating.

We use salt on our food, just try to not go overboard.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #10  
ONEderland, I 0wn you!

S/C/G: 289/195/169

Height: 5'10"

a bit of salt is ok, its got iodine that your body needs, but so many foods have it, its not the issue it once was. sea salt gives ALOT more flavor with a lot less use, and it doesnt have the associated health issues some of us experience. and im ALL about roasting or grilling the veggies, you'll be amazed at how their flavours just seem to POP if grilled or roasted, maybe brushed lightly with olive oil. i love asparagus, squashs, or other gourds on the grill
Angihas2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:04 AM   #11  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

The way I usually cook them now is I steam them or take cut up chicken brest and cook them with a little olive oil and throw the veggies in with some mrs Dash. But I didnt think about sea salt we used to use it all the time Jest ran out and went back to using the regular salt. I will have to look up Roasting Veggies Never done it Will have to see how it is done.

Bonnie
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote