Weight Loss Surgery - thinking about lapband

View Full Version : thinking about lapband

Sis
09-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Is it very difficult to get insurance to approve? What about Lapband is that covered yet? Just curious. I've thought about this but I admit Im a bit scared. I have lost a lot of weight before. I have at one time lost 98 lbs with WW and stayed at that weight for about 4 yrs, then went thru some emotional times recently, losing my mom and brother within a yr and a hlf of each other and gained 45 lbs. :( I am trying to get back into the mindset to lose but not being very successful. Don't know if I would do this or not but thought I would check things out a bit. Thanks in advance for any responses. Have a great day...

jiffypop
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
hi sis! i used the 'moderator magic want' to make a new thread out of your post - more people will see it and perhaps respond

about insurance - it varies. some policies cover all forms of surgery, others will cover only the bypass, still others the lapband and bypass - so the best thing to do is to check with your own insurance policy.

so sorry about losing your mom and brother - it's so hard.

Sis
09-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the info Jiffypop. I just thought I would ask a few questions. Have a great day.

Leenie
09-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Yep, start with your insurance co.. good luck :hug:

ladybugnessa
09-08-2009, 07:03 AM
Hi and welcome.
you need to check with your insurance company. some cover WLS some do not. and you would need to probably have a bmi of 40 or higher or 35 with 2 co-morbidities such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, diabetes or other weight related problems.

also you need to be aware that lap-band just like any other WLS is not magic. so that it won't fix our brains. the parts that tell us to eat when we are not hungry.

rachinma
09-12-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry for your losses.