Introductions Introduce yourselves and make new friends!

Old 09-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #1  

Default I'm glad I found this great forum!

What a wonderful group of people here! I've been reading over these threads for the last few days and can honestly say I don't think I've ever seen a more supportive group of individuals anywhere else.

Just a brief introduction - I'm a 50+ woman who knows what to do to lose weight - heck, I've done it multiple times! That said, I now need to lose more weight than I've ever had to lose before - 40 lbs - and I have really had a lot of trouble getting myself motivated to do this, even though my weight is now causing medical issues.

I believe I'm finally there, but after struggling over the last few months to get going I feel it's time to admit that I need support, and I loathe in-person meetings with a passion. Don't know why, but never felt the support at any of them - WW, Overeaters Anonymous, etc. I think there's something about being online that makes people more willing to truly be honest, something I felt was always missing from face-to-face meetings.

So I'm here, and I'm asking for help. And when I feel like I can give help, I'll do that too!

Thank you for this welcoming community!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:45 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/230/140

Height: 5'3

Southren Maven!!! This is an amazing place and everyone is so incredibly sincere and there for one another.. I wish you good luck in all of your goals and hope that you will find the support and encouragement you need here.. and I am SURE you will!! lol
May God Bless!!
Cape Breton Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #3  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Hi and welcome to 3FC!

Good luck with your goals

Hugs
Michelle
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 248.8/232.2/135

Height: 5'8"

Welcome, Southern Maven! You are right, this is a very supportive community. Glad you are joining us.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!

Cheers,

J
LotusMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #5  

Height: 5'11"

SouthernMaven, welcome! You and I are in a similar demographic; I'm heading towards 50 myself.

Guess what? I've lost 46 pounds since January. That's 8 short months. My current goal is 65 pounds but I am thinking that I may change that when I get there. Anyway.....that sounded like an insurmountable amount in January. That's why I didn't put down my real goal of 80 pounds; because it sounded like too much, honestly. But here it is, 8 months later and I'm 46 pounds down. The time has flown by and I'm much closer to goal. You will BE at goal in 8 months if you lose at the same snail's pace that I am losing at, LOL! That's 5 pounds a month--totally do-able for someone our age.

I hope that's encouraging to you. Sometimes it seems like we are facing a big task, but really, chugging away (Rosinante calls it "plodding" and that's a great word) and chipping away a pound or two a week is really an achievable thing and in just 2/3 of a year, you can be at (or really close to!) your goal.

We are cheering you on!
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:00 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 223/GOAL/140

Height: 5'6"

It truly is an amazing place here, I think this process takes a village, just like raising kids ANd I think Windchime put it perfectly, I too was a little overwhelmed to lose 83lbs at the beginning (and originally said 73 just to be safer) and that was just in spring and now I'm getting down there too. The first step is the hardest and each one is easier after that. See you out and about on the forums!
Tummy Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:41 PM   #7  

Thanks to all you wonderful people for your warm welcomes!

For the first time in months I really feel like I can get this done. In the 50+ forum I mentioned that physical exercise is my biggest challenge, so I know - particularly at this age - that I need to understand that as much as I hate it I will have to incorporate it as part of my lifestyle not only to lose the weight but also to maintain a healthy weight, something I obviously have not yet been able to do.

I am just flabbergasted at the success stories I see here; they are so inspiring!
SouthernMaven is offline   Reply With Quote