PCOS/Insulin Resistance Support Support for us with any of the following: Insulin Resistance, Syndrome X, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, or other endocrine disorders.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 240/240/180

Height: 5'4"

Red face Here a hair, there a hair, everywhere a hair hair.

I have PCOS. And out of ALL my sypmtoms and side-effects, the one that bothers me the most is the hirsutism. If someone gave me the choice to be fat forever but hairless or hairless forever but fat...I'd take the hairless (even if I have to draw on eybrows and wear a wig). I read the thread were a few of you daring girls admitted where you had hair and i sympathize. I think the only place i don't have hair is on the inside of my mouth (but wait, let me check!....pheww...still clear). I've been reading about supplements and I am going to purchase some saw palmetto, which seems to be the most popular, and some chaste tree berry. I also plan to increase my green tea intake and buy some spearmint tea.
I'm wondering how these supplements have worked out for you guys. Any real improvement?
I've been considering electrolosys but I had one Dr. tell me to not bother and I know it's an added expense so I wonder what you all think

I'm still waiting for someone to invent some big tub of goo to sit in and when you come out all your hair will be gone permanently.

I am not taking bcp or any other Rx for the PCOS. I'm already taking a buttload of meds for my bipolar disorder and i don't want to take any more. I'm afraid that down the road the side effects from all these meds are going to make important body parts fall off or worse...new digusting ones grow in

If anyone has any info for me conerning my...concerns, please, spill your guts.

Thanks
Kacey
rrkacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #2  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

I have done laser and love it. I only have had it done on my upper and lower lip. Now, I still have a few little hairs here and there, but the improvement is vast. I can pluck three hairs in a minute's time. The 500 or so that are gone now took forever to pluck...shaving didn't really hide it all that well and I'd have visible nicks some days.

I'm going to get my chin and neck done at the dr's office because it's a lot cheaper than the laser center I went to.

I've tried lots of stuff, but the only thing that has any visible effect for me has been laser. I highly recommend it. It's worth saving your pennies for.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 240/240/180

Height: 5'4"

Thanks for your input Eumie
rrkacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

ditto on the laser here...would MUCH recommend it over electrolysis..

I will tell you one other weird thing too..I am sure it has some scientific basis...not sure what...as my weight has gone down I am noticibly LESS hairy..nice little bonus to be sure...

yep, check out laser..you won't be sorry...I still need touch ups from time to time but it is manageable now..before I was sooo insecure about my stubble!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:10 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 291/265.5/133

Height: 5'3"

As another viewpoint, I spent $1000s on laser treatment and had no results whatsoever. The results with just a home electrolysis kit have been better than laser. I guess it depends on your skin color, hair type and any underlying medical issue, but personally, I regret every dollar I spent on laser.

I'm hoping that weight loss will reduce the growth, as predicted by my doctor, nutritionist, laser center etc.
Newlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:31 AM   #6  
Do it. Be Proud.

S/C/G: 250/see ticker~>/130

Height: 5'3.5

My best friends and I all have it. We're like a gradient scale of too much hair. The worst of us had laser removal only for it too regrow a year later, it was tough- but I hear for some it works. Me? I'm a tweezer fiend, but I find that the more weight I kick off means less hair...

Last edited by Reddalice; 09-08-2009 at 11:33 AM.
Reddalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 04:30 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calissaja View Post
As another viewpoint, I spent $1000s on laser treatment and had no results whatsoever. The results with just a home electrolysis kit have been better than laser. I guess it depends on your skin color, hair type and any underlying medical issue, but personally, I regret every dollar I spent on laser.

I'm hoping that weight loss will reduce the growth, as predicted by my doctor, nutritionist, laser center etc.
what electrolysis kit do you use? I see some with pads and needles. I spend so much time tweezing out hairs maybe it would be better to try zapping them out
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 04:00 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 282/257/182

Height: 5'6"

laser helped me, but I was only able to go twice before $$ issues came, so I still have some stubble which I shave off
but it is much less than before so I'm happy

kt
pkmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 87.1kg/82.3/67

Height: 164cms

Laser removal works really well if you have pale skin and hair that is quite dark. I didn't have a huge hair problem, but I did have a bit on the tops of my thighs and on my arms that used to really bother me. The laser has been amazing, I had it done 5+ years ago and there is still barely anything there anymore! If you can afford it can be a big help (if you're a good candidate for it, etc).
yoursummerdream is offline   Reply With Quote