100 lb. Club - Tomato Cabbage Barley Soup that's been requested....

rockinrobin
09-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Tomato Cabbage Barley Soup

4 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 medium green cabbage, sliced
1 cup shredded or diced carrots, optional (I've never used them)
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, diced
2 - 15 oz cans tomato sauce
1/3cup barley
2 tbsps flour (You could do without it, I use it as a thick-ner. My kids like very thick soup)
2 vegetable or beef bouillon cubes
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1 - 2 tsps canola or olive oil

In a 5 quart pot, saute' onions, celery, cabbage & carrots (if using) in oil till soft and almost browned. Add garlic and saute a minute further. Add the flour and cook about 45 seconds, stirring constantly. Add the remaining ingredients and enough water to almost fill the pot. Bring to a boil (I like to boil the water in a tea kettle before I put it in, makes everything go faster)
Cover pot, reduce to a simmer and cook about 1 hour or until the barley is soft.

Yumm beyond belief. It freezes nicely. Enjoy! I know everyone here sure does. I've even served it for company. It gets rave reviews.

MugCanDoIt
09-04-2009, 04:48 PM
Thanks!

rockinrobin
09-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Mug, I just edited the recipe. Since you already saw it, I wanted to post this to point it out. I changed the celery from chopped to sliced.

CanadianCutie
09-04-2009, 06:10 PM
that sounds delish. I'm going to have to get the ingredients for that when I go to the grocery store, and make up a batch this week. I will probably take some over for my Grandma too, she's housebound. So I like to go over and visit her, even when I'm not the designated caregiver for the day.

Diva
09-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Sounds delish! I am gonna make it this week I think. Do you know about how many calories are in 1 cup of it?

lottie63
09-05-2009, 01:35 PM
OT:

but, diva, I love yer avatar! :)

Diva
09-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Why Thank you Lottie! Those are my fav shoes! :D

Alana in Canada
09-05-2009, 07:32 PM
Thank you, Robin. Soup season is approaching, isn't it? I plan to have soup made up and on hand in the fridge this winter for when I "need" a little something.

rockinrobin
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Thank you, Robin. Soup season is approaching, isn't it? I plan to have soup made up and on hand in the fridge this winter for when I "need" a little something.

Alana it's always soup season in our house, even when it really ISN'T if you know what I mean. I make a different large batch of soup every week. It's a great "piece" of a meal that I can make one time and have for many meals. It's delicious, satisfying, low calorie and healthy. And the whole family enjoys it thoroughly.

Windchime
09-05-2009, 08:26 PM
Thanks, Robin. I was thinking about putting a beef stew into the crock pot because it's rainy and chilly here today, but beef stew sounds a little heavy so I think your soup may just fit the bill! I like cabbage but don't use it much because I don't feel that I know how to prepare it, so this looks like a good "starter" recipe. Where do you find the barley? Is it in the same aisle as rice?

starfishkitty
09-05-2009, 08:52 PM
I was wondering the same about the calories myself.... that's the one thing I'm still struggling with is figuring out how many calories (approx) would be in something made/mixed together like that soup. Anyone have any advice on how to do that?

CanadianCutie
09-05-2009, 09:38 PM
YUM!!!!! I just made the soup (with a few minor changes, the grocery store I was at didn't have any bouillion cubes, so I just omitted it. Took a good chunk of the sodium out of the soup, the only remaining from the tomato sauce.

It is thick and amazing, very filling, paired with a salad and some low fat crackers it was a perfect light dinner. Thank you for such a great soup.

cfmama
09-06-2009, 12:42 AM
I can't WAIT to make it!

AR4life
09-06-2009, 01:07 AM
I love soup! I will pick up the cabbage tomorrow.

Mom has grown about 200 acorn squash so I'll be making soup out of some of them, my favourite :D

cfmama
09-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Oh and I have three LARGE green cabbages FRESH from my friends garden. Picked today! You were saying you also loved cabbage and apples... what do you do with those?

rockinrobin
09-06-2009, 04:36 AM
I like calorie_count.com's "recipe analyzer" to figure out calorie counts on cooked items with multiple ingredients in it.

Based on 12 servings, it comes to about 65 calories per serving.

Windchime, barley is found together with the dried beans.

CanadianCutie I'm glad you liked it! As far as the sodium, luckily I don't have high blood pressure (anymore, yay!!!) and since I eat minimal amounts of processed or restaurant foods, where I believe massive quantities of sodium is found, I'm never concerned about the sodium content in my homemade cooking.

Alana in Canada
09-06-2009, 07:36 AM
I make a different large batch of soup every week.

I love this idea! I just made Glory's Minestrone Soup--and it's been fabulous having that on hand.

I just wish I'd remembered to pick up a cabbage today while I was out shopping!

traci in training
09-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Awesome soup, Robin! Made a big batch with the college daughter this afternoon - along with a big batch of chicken and noodle. She is trying to get in the habit of taking her lunch with her since she works in admissions between classes now. Turned out yummy! Do you have anymore soup recipes to share???

rockinrobin
09-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Oh Traci, I'm so glad you liked it.

The problem with my soup recipes, is that I don't have exact amounts, since I basically make them up myself. So it's hard to put it down in writing....

Alana in Canada
09-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Another fan, here, Rockin' Robin. My husband enjoyed it, too. I only had one celery stalk, so I threw that in and added the extra carrots. I also added a pinch of coriander and cardamon--oh and I substituted a (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes for one can of tomato sauce (and therefore used the flour to thicken).

And it turns out my son likes raw cabbage--who knew? Maybe he'll eat some of that instead of taco chips when he wants something to crunch!

I wouldn't worry about exact amounts, really. Ratios are fine!

Do you read Mark Bittman's column on food online at the New York Times (on-line)?
Here's a link: http://bitten.blogs.nytimes.com/

He's not much into specific amounts, either! I just finished reading his latest book: Food Matters and I highly, highly recommend it. Lots of recipes for plants! :dizzy:

Windchime
09-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Tomato Cabbage Barley Soup

4 stalks celery, sliced
1/2 medium green cabbage, sliced

OK, I'm planning to make this tomorrow -- I saw barley in the grocery store, was reminded of this recipe, and bought a little bag! I have a couple of questions:

Robin, you mentioned that you changed the celery from "chopped" to "sliced". Is there a difference? Does it matter? Also, when you say you "slice" the 1/2 head of cabbage--is that into bite-sized slices? Or do you just take the 1/2 head and slice it and have big long (thin) pieces of cabbage? Even though I like cabbage, I don't cook with it so I'm not quite sure how to handle it, LOL.

I can't wait to make this. I think it sounds really good.

rockinrobin
09-20-2009, 03:32 AM
OK, I'm planning to make this tomorrow -- I saw barley in the grocery store, was reminded of this recipe, and bought a little bag! I have a couple of questions:

Robin, you mentioned that you changed the celery from "chopped" to "sliced". Is there a difference? Does it matter? Also, when you say you "slice" the 1/2 head of cabbage--is that into bite-sized slices? Or do you just take the 1/2 head and slice it and have big long (thin) pieces of cabbage? Even though I like cabbage, I don't cook with it so I'm not quite sure how to handle it, LOL.

I can't wait to make this. I think it sounds really good.

No diffference from chopped to sliced. It's just that I DO slice it. I guess I just prefer that size to the chopped.

The cabbage? Not bite sized slices. I slice the 1/2 head into narrow to medium slices, not terribly thin, I like it a little bit thick-ish.

There really is no right or wrong. It's just a matter of preference. I know for me, when I first make a recipe, I then see how it turns out, and then I know how I could change it around the next time to suit me better. I'm sure it'll be yummy any way you slice it... Enjoy and let me know what you think of it. :)

Truffle
09-20-2009, 03:20 PM
Thank you for sharing this recipe. I want to get in the habit of making more homemade soups this fall and winter, to up our veggie consumption.

I have nearly everything on hand for this. Just need some celery and cabbage, which I can get tomorrow.

enchantedonyx
09-20-2009, 07:27 PM
This sounds really yummy. I can't do the barley but think it might be really tasty with beans instead- maybe navy or pinto beans? It would up the calories a bit, but beans are such a good source of protein and fiber that I wouldn't complain about that.

Going to see if I have the stuff to make it on hand. :)

~Onyx