100 lb. Club - How much weight loss before you see a difference?

bcort
09-03-2009, 11:51 AM
I've lost around 10 lbs, although I'm still not convinced isn't a fluke. I'm not doing a big program like a lot of you are, but I'm taking small steps with diet & exercise.

Anyway, how much weight did you lose before you could tell a difference, & how much before other people could tell a difference? Ten pounds at my weight & height doesn't show a difference, but I'm wondering how much will....

time2lose
09-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I could feel a difference at 20 pounds but I could not see a difference until I had lost 30 pounds. Comparing before and "in process" pictures can be a big help. If you have not taken "before" pictures, do it now! You will be glad. My loss has been slow and I became accustom to my looks as I went. It is only when I compare before and after pictures that I can really see the difference even now.

ubergirl
09-03-2009, 12:04 PM
I could see a difference in myself at about fifteen pounds, but the difference at 36 pounds down is starting to be noticeable to others....

findingfawn
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Hmmm.. I'm noticing some changes I've lost 16 or 17 pounds, but no one else has noticed except my "always say the right thing" hubby. He, on the other hand, has lost 26 pounds and EVERYONE notices! It's kind of a huge slap in the face for me, but I'm proud of him.

jay41
09-03-2009, 12:06 PM
I could feel the difference at about 20 pounds. It was cool when I could fit into airplane seats and car seats comfortably at about 50 pounds down.

Nobody has commented on my weight loss except for those that know I'm doing it (except for 1 person). There is a difference that I can see...my clothes are about 4 sizes smaller and I have more energy.

I've just decided that getting to goal is the only way people will notice or make comments -- and even then I don't expect anything. It's really all about how I feel anyway.

WormwoodDoll
09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
People didn't notice until around 30-40lbs honestly, but then again I saw them everyday. People I only see occasionally noticed faster. I still don't see differences myself, only in pictures.

cfmama
09-03-2009, 12:28 PM
It was about 60 lbs with me but then I started at closer to 400 pounds.

ubergirl
09-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Nobody has commented on my weight loss except for those that know I'm doing it (except for 1 person). There is a difference that I can see...my clothes are about 4 sizes smaller and I have more energy.

Gosh! I can't believe people haven't noticed... fifty pounds is a HUGE achievement.

A lot of people don't mention it to me, but when I mention it they say "I noticed but I didn't want to say anything..."

Also, it's true that when people haven't seen you every day they notice right away!

Kae
09-03-2009, 02:36 PM
My family (who know I am doing it) say they can see a difference but I can't see it on myself yet. I can feel it in the way my clothes fit but I can't see it. None of my coworkers whom I see everyday have noticed yet.

Windchime
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Just because your coworkers aren't saying anything doesn't mean they haven't noticed. Several people only commented when they have seen me get my mayo on the side a couple of times. Only then do they feel safe to mention anything about my having lost weight. So I think that lots of times people notice, but don't comment out of politeness.

ubergirl
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, I should say that when I go to work I tell everyone I see "I've lost XX amount of weight" and then I do a twirly thing so that they can see every inch of me... no wonder they've noticed.

One of the great things about getting older is that you don't embarrassed so easily any more

bcort
09-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Ubergirl - you're hilarious! I am hoping that I'll lose a ton of weight, everyone will notice & be in awe, but not actually say anything to me - I don't want the attention!!

FitGirlyGirl
09-03-2009, 03:57 PM
I could see some small changes at about 15 pounds, started noticing some significant things at about 30. Now I am noticing something new almost every day - it's great. My hubby person noticed before me. Though he noticed more with his hands than his eyes, lol.

salsa chip
09-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Over the past week or so a couple of colleagues have noticed, I think without knowing (that is, other colleagues know that I'm losing weight, but I don't know if they've been talking about it). I'm just shy of 20lbs down and started at 248lbs.

girlonfire
09-03-2009, 04:42 PM
I have lost almost 20 pounds(eeeek!) and my experience seems different: I can't see the weight loss but others have been telling me that they can tell I have lost weight. And I am about a size and a half smaller than I was!

Angihas2
09-04-2009, 06:54 PM
I think it also depends on where you're gonna lose first. For me, its always in the butt, thighs and hips, places noone can see anyway, due to the fat my pants always had to be so big in those areas to fit over my belly. Then in my face, once I had lost about 25 lbs, people really started commenting. We're about same height and starting weight, so I understand what you feel. It's less easily seen when it's spread over a taller landscape, so to speak.

I think there's also a worry people have, that if they mention it, it might hurt our feelings? Or that we're sick etc etc. Once you've lost more and people start commenting, find a nice way to let them know it's ok to ask or tell you about what you look like now, that the encouragement truly helps.

georgiad
09-04-2009, 07:22 PM
I've lost 18.5lbs and haven't noticed a difference so far. When I lost weight two years ago (went from 184 to 153) it took 28lbs before I noticed anything :( But lots of people I knew did notice :)

Smileydd
09-04-2009, 07:51 PM
I could tell in my clothes when I lost 20 when I hit 32 pound I could tell in my face and arms:carrot:

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
09-05-2009, 01:15 AM
ive lost 41 pounds and i look the same ... idk ? its kind of depressing

sherrybwc
09-05-2009, 02:59 AM
It's different for each of us...some are tall, some short, some carrry their weight in their hips/thighs, some from the waist up, and on some it's distributed evenly. It also depends on how much you weigh to start with.

For myself, when I lost a lot of weight a few years ago (270 down to 200), it was noticeable at about 30-ish pounds, but I'm tall, large frame, and, although I carry most of my weight from the waist up, the rest is pretty much evenly distributed.

The first PLACE "I" really noticed it was in my thighs...suddenly one day I could see daylight between them.

Sherry

bcort
09-05-2009, 01:51 PM
ive lost 41 pounds and i look the same ... idk ? its kind of depressing

You need to post some before & current photos on here to let us judge - there's no way you look the same after 41 lbs! Chin up - it's 41 lbs!! Way to go!

CHUNKEY_MUNKEY
09-09-2009, 02:12 AM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/sihahziiah_nezum/beforeandduring.jpg

1st one is current (217) but 216 as of this morning !! yaay !! second is @ 258

its crappy pix srry still not a fan of taking pictures ... not a big difference 21 pounds later what am i doing wrong?