Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - Ground beef vs. ground turkey

View Full Version : Ground beef vs. ground turkey

shcirerf
09-02-2009, 08:05 PM
I had a package of 93/7 ground beef and a 93/7 ground turkey, so I compared the label. I was surprised to find almost no difference in calories, fat, cholesterol, etc.

The ground beef had slightly more cholesterol and the turkey slightly more saturated fat.

A lot of WW members have vowed the turkey to be more healthy. Not by the labels.

I didn't mind eating the turkey and it is cheaper, but it's not nearly as nice to cook with, all sticky and gloppy.

Guess I'll stick to the hamburger.

AR4life
09-02-2009, 08:14 PM
The more expensive ground turkey is made from the breast. It's not sticky or gloppy :)
I only use turkey, the family doesn't like the gamey taste of ground beef anymore.

Ryanne
09-02-2009, 08:22 PM
The more expensive ground turkey is made from the breast. It's not sticky or gloppy :)
I only use turkey, the family doesn't like the gamey taste of ground beef anymore.

I agree, you have to get the "good" ground turkey. I, personally, do not like the flavor of red meats. I prefer poultry and fish. I find when I make turkey burgers, I don't have the nasty aftertaste as you get with beef...(I feel like beef tastes like cows smell, if that makes sense.) Anyway, I use ground turkey in chili, taco meat, pasta sauces and everywhere else that a person would use ground beef.
My family doesn't like the taste of beef, either. :moo:

Onederchic
09-02-2009, 08:45 PM
I have to admit that I no longer eat red meat but I haven't tried ground turkey yet either :o. Maybe someday.

Pita09
09-02-2009, 08:51 PM
I have just started cooking with ground turkey (all white meat) and I'm really liking the results. It taste lighter than ground beef and seems to take whatever flavorings I add to it really well.

fjcinzion
09-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I also use ground turkey for everything...soups, lasagna, chili, spaghetti sauce etc. We love turkey burgers cooked on the Forman Grill. It's very rare for us to use ground :moo: anymore.

Wolf Goddess
09-02-2009, 09:06 PM
It used to be that you couldn't get as lean of ground beef, and it seems like alot of dieting cookbooks and recipes haven't reflected the availability of 93% or even 96% lean ground beef. I personally prefer it for many applications, as while I do like using ground turkey, I hate to use turkey as a beef substitute.

Also, you can get extra lean ground pork these days too, with only about 4 g of fat per 4 oz. serving. It's great for meatloaf, meatballs, potstickers, etc.

Shannon in ATL
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I cook with ground turkey breast almost exclusively, sometimes some ground chicken breast. The white meat turkey is .5-1.5 grams of fat, 120 cals & 24-26g of protein per 4 ounce serving.

jefferzzzz
09-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I have always LOVED beef, especially burgers... Since I started trying ground turkey and learned how to season it, I couldn't tell you the last time I ate beef. I haven't tried ground chicken yet, just seems to be hard to find in this area.

I've never noticed ground turkey to be sticky, actually I noticed it was much less greasy on your hands when handling it compared to beef. Then again, maybe it's just me ;-)

shcirerf
09-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Evidently we don't have the good ground breast around here. I've checked labels on several different varieties and it's all about the same as the 93% lean beef.

I don't mind eating it. The taste and texture are fine. The biggest problem I have with it, is it doesn't patty well for burgers. But then if I could find the ground turkey breast, it might work better.

I'll look around some more. I'm going to check on the ground pork as well.

I do love the turkey breakfast sausage though. Way less fat, and tasty too! My Sunday morning indulgence.

kaplods
09-03-2009, 03:41 AM
All meats have about the same calories per ounce, when you adjust the fat ratio. That is that 93/7 whether it be chicken, beef, turkey, lamb, pork.... would have a very similar calorie count per ounce.

pintobean
09-03-2009, 09:11 AM
...I don't mind eating it. The taste and texture are fine. The biggest problem I have with it, is it doesn't patty well for burgers. But then if I could find the ground turkey breast, it might work better....

I add dry quick oats (not microwaveable) and 1 serving of egg substitute along with whatever seasong I use to the lean beef mix to make it into patties. It holds great and you cannot taste the oats once the burgers are cooked. I did the same to ground turkey breast for making patties. As it was a mess the first time I tried it without it.

I have tried ground turkey breast and 93/7 ground beef. I don't like turkey as much. I'll eat it sometimes but not all the time. I'll take that lean beef over turkey any day. But we rarely eat red meat so I don't mind.

We recently decided to try ground bison (leaner and more nutrient dense) and we liked it. I made bison burgers (the same way I make beef/turkey burgers) and I freeze them raw. We haven't tried them yet. I did use ground bison as a substitute for ground beef for a taco few weeks ago and it came out great. I like to season everything very well. The key for cooking bison is to not overcook it as the texture will get harder and chewy. Lots of online tips for it.

SunshineCA
09-03-2009, 10:43 PM
I guess I would go with the ground turkey. However, I tend to buy whichever is on sale. :) I got a great deal of lean ground beef today and will be serving a taco bar with it in a few minutes. :)

paris81
09-06-2009, 11:30 AM
Has anyone tried making tacos with ground turkey instead of beef? I'm wondering how it compares.

Cebsme
09-06-2009, 11:37 AM
We only use ground turkey. We use it for everything. In fact Jenni-O makes an already seasoned taco ground turkey that we use. Its fantastic in our opinions. My only suggestion is to give it a try. The only red meat we eat any more is the occasional steak.

Wolf Goddess
09-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Has anyone tried making tacos with ground turkey instead of beef? I'm wondering how it compares.

It turns out pretty well; you just have to work harder to break the meat up.

kellost
09-07-2009, 12:16 AM
We have a Superwalmart with the grocery store right near us, and they sell extra-lean beef that is just great. I personally prefer the beef, but that's just me. I don't eat it every day or anything, but usually once a week I'll make tacos, burgers, or pasta that includes the extra-lean ground beef.

SweetScrumptious
09-07-2009, 01:32 AM
I've been using extra lean ground turkey in my spaghetti sauce! It is absolutely wonderful! :)

Thighs Be Gone
09-07-2009, 01:44 AM
We eat no red meat at all--don't like the taste anymore. We use very rarely anything but fish--I do like some ground turkey though from time to time. When I make chili I use it. Usually 8 ounces in a huge pot is enough "meat" for us. I notice Hungry Girl is all into the Soy Crumbles. I checked the label on that and WOW the sodium! I am guessing she does it for advertising $$$.

i like yo face
09-07-2009, 01:48 AM
this is actually my first post ever on here :)
I just bought 96/4 GB yesterday but it always taste dry :/ ... I love takin GT and mixin about a cup of cheese...garlic powder and sea salt and make a cookie sheet with like 16 "meatball sized" GT balls on it. It's soooo good. You can have 9 of them and they are fabulous!!!

Thighs Be Gone
09-07-2009, 01:58 AM
cup of cheese.OMG! tell me it isn't so! :)

blkbarbie25
09-07-2009, 03:58 AM
im trying to stop eating as much red meat its so hard to kick the habit

ThickAZChick
09-07-2009, 02:46 PM
I haven't bought red meat in ages but the extra lean 96/4 was on sale. I bought a few packages seeing that they were about $5-6 a pack cheaper than extra lean ground turkey and $3-4 cheaper than the lean ground turkey. I will use my beef to make meatloaf muffins and the recipe above that calls for a cup of cheese- I"m there! lol

After I use this ground beef, will I go back to my turkey- yes! Good price on something low fat cannot go unnoticed! lol

Wolf Goddess
09-07-2009, 08:46 PM
I notice Hungry Girl is all into the Soy Crumbles. I checked the label on that and WOW the sodium! I am guessing she does it for advertising $$$.

All of her "recipes" are formulated to make them as low-calorie as possible, regardless of the actual flavor of say, tofu noodles or fat-free cheese. *shudders*

Somni
09-14-2009, 06:35 PM
We only use ground turkey. We use it for everything. In fact Jenni-O makes an already seasoned taco ground turkey that we use. Its fantastic in our opinions. My only suggestion is to give it a try. The only red meat we eat any more is the occasional steak.

We use ground chicken or turkey almost always now. Our nearby store usually carries at least two different brand choices each for both types of meat, some more lean than others. I usually nab just whatever is on sale.

We don't have that seasoned taco ground turkey though at the nearby store, but I ended up shopping at a different store than I usually do the other day and they seemed to carry, well, every Jennie-o product in existence. I remembered this post and, among other things to try, got the taco seasoned meat. It was really good! I used some leftovers today over a salad.

Aclai4067
09-14-2009, 07:06 PM
I use both. Usually turkey for burgers (especially my mediterranean burgers with feta and kalamata olives, mmm). But turkey is all wrong for tacos in my opinion, so I use beef. I tried ground chicken once, it was soooo sticky and messy when raw. It tasted fine, but no fun to cook.

rachinma
09-18-2009, 10:44 AM
I had a package of 93/7 ground beef and a 93/7 ground turkey, so I compared the label. I was surprised to find almost no difference in calories, fat, cholesterol, etc.

The ground beef had slightly more cholesterol and the turkey slightly more saturated fat.

A lot of WW members have vowed the turkey to be more healthy. Not by the labels.

I didn't mind eating the turkey and it is cheaper, but it's not nearly as nice to cook with, all sticky and gloppy.

Guess I'll stick to the hamburger.
I'm with you. I buy the 96% lean ground beef and make 4oz burgers topped with sauteed onions and peppers. Sometimes I make chili with 99% lean ground turkey (organic, white), but eating it out of the chili? No, thank you. Yuck.

Shannon in ATL
09-18-2009, 12:31 PM

I use ground turkey breast for tacos all the time, recently started using ground chicken breast sometimes because a store near me started carrying it regularly as well. I love the turkey in the tacos - it doesn't take the seasoning as quickly as ground beef, so I let the seasoning simmer longer after the initial browning. I use Penzey's Extra Bold Taco Seasoning - it calls for 4 tbsp and one cup water for a pound of meat, I usually only do 10 ounces but still use the full cup of water with a little less seasoning. Let it simmer in for 10-15 minutes and it is fabulous. DH is a big taco fanatic and he thinks the turkey tastes better than the ground beef version we used to make.

alicat17
09-18-2009, 11:44 PM
I eat ground turkey plain. I love the flavor of it so much. I just cooked up 4 packs of it, and they're cooling for the freezer. Almost everyday, I have some in something... tacos, egg-white omelets, chili, spaghetti... you name it. BTW, Costco has really good quality meat, in my opinion.