General chatter - Anyone else concerned about the swine flu vaccine?

HotWings
09-02-2009, 01:53 AM
A new strain of the swine flu is supposed to hit the U.S. late Sept or October. The government threw money at a couple of pharmaceutical companies to fast track a vaccine for swine flu (which amounts to not much research as to the side effects/effectiveness of it). In fact, according to the FDA it will only be tested one to three weeks in a small group of children & adults before release to the general population this fall.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/BloodVaccinesandOtherBiologics/VaccinesandRelatedBiologicalProductsAdvisoryCommit tee/UCM172424.pdf

Check "Safety Monitoring" on pg. 7 of that doc. Then in the same doc there is this:

"The following considerations for clinical studies are based on the premise that clinical trials can be completed in time to inform policy decisions regarding widespread use of novel influenza A (H1N1) virus vaccines. However, because surveillance and epidemiologic data may indicate that vaccination should be initiated before data from such clinical trials are available we recognize that the regulatory approach needs to be flexible and that policy decisions regarding vaccine formulation and use may have to be based on results from incomplete or smaller clinical studies or even in the absence of clinical data with novel influenza A (H1N1) virus vaccine.

The last swine flu vaccine injected in the masses (1970's) had neurological side effects - the Guillain-Barré Syndrome. There were 500 cases of GBS—25 of which resulted in death from severe pulmonary complications. It looks like the CDC is preparing for reports of GBS as related to the vaccine: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2009-08/aaon-acw083109.php

According to this site http://www.nvic.org/vaccines-and-diseases/h1n1-swine-flu.aspx :

"The Secretary of Health and Human Services announced on July 9, 2009 that school children, pregnant women and health workers will be the first to be given swine flu vaccines in the fall. Plans are being made by the government to give children swine flu vaccine in schools. Currently, government officials maintain that the swine flu vaccination program will be voluntary."

Now, what all this looks like to me, is that they don't really know if it is safe, but are going to use the above as "guinea pigs". Will this be like one of those drugs where a year or two (or more) down the road, the FDA says, oopsie.. that wasn't safe. Sorry about that. And in the meantime, lots of people (and children no less) have gotten serious complications? Furthermore, now that the U.S. has declared (as of April this year) a public health emergency, the pharmaceutical companies and anyone administering the vaccine cannot be held responsible for the complications resulting from the vaccine. I have also read in a few places that there are nurses & doctors.. and even some of the vaccine creators that will be refusing to take the vaccine. Wonder why? I am thinking I can guess why.

Right now, it appears to be voluntary. But then there is this - Massachusetts passed the "Massachusetts Pandemic Act of 2009". Read it here if you want to take a look:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st02/st02028.htm

Part of it says this:

(b) Furthermore, when the commissioner or a local public health authority within its jurisdiction determines that either or both of the following measures are necessary to prevent a serious danger to the public health the commissioner or local public health authority may exercise the following authority:

(1) to vaccinate or provide precautionary prophylaxis to individuals as protection against communicable disease and to prevent the spread of communicable or possibly communicable disease, provided that any vaccine to be administered must not be such as is reasonably likely to lead to serious harm to the affected individual; and
(2) to treat individuals exposed to or infected with disease, provided that treatment must not be such as is reasonably likely to lead to serious harm to the affected individual.
An individual who is unable or unwilling to submit to vaccination or treatment shall not be required to submit to such procedures but may be isolated or quarantined pursuant to section 96 of chapter 111 if his or her refusal poses a serious danger to public health or results in uncertainty whether he or she has been exposed to or is infected with a disease or condition that poses a serious danger to public health, as determined by the commissioner, or a local public health authority operating within its jurisdiction.

So.. let's say I live in Mass. and a person a block or two down the street gets this swine flu and the commissioner wants to vaccinate within a certain number of blocks. If I don't comply, it's quarantine for me. Even if there is no evidence that I have been exposed. And who is to say other states will not follow suit with similar laws? With the current state of things in Washington, who's to say the federal government won't soon declare this mandatory for certain at-risk groups (that includes children)? I understand wanting to control an outbreak. But honestly, this vaccine sounds like a crap shoot with my health (and more importantly with my children's health) right now.

Opinions? Thoughts? I'm interested in thoughtful responses in any direction here - not looking to start any heated disagreements. :nono:

harrismm
09-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I am a nurse and we have been having quite a few meetings recently regarding the vaccine and taking care of patients with h1n1....lets just say, its going to be an interesting flu season.There are a lot of questions with not as many answers. I will just say to all who are reading this...but lots of hand sanitizer, carry it with you to public places...and wash wash wash wash your hands.This will prevent most of the spread.As far as the vaccine..time will tell.

lizziep
09-02-2009, 03:04 AM
i don't know enough to make an educated decision but will say that i am reluctant to get an injection of anything that hasn't been fully tested. I seem to remember reading an article talking about how the swine flu shot of the 70s killed more people then the actual swine flu.

Primm
09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
The H1N1 virus that's just been through here was more harmless than the regular flu. They made a big deal about it to begin with, but in the end they weren't even testing people. I'm pretty sure that's the one that's headed your way.

I wouldn't be getting the vaccine. I'd wash my hands lots and take my chances with the virus. The people I know who've had it were sick, but the mortality rate has been less than for the regular flu.

Having said that, it has some bizarre effects on pregnant women. I work in NICU, and we had a lot of babies who were sectioned early from women who ended up ventilated in ICU with H1N1 influenza. Don't know why. It doesn't transfer to the babies, we just got them out as the parasitic effect on mum's body was making her worse.

When I say a few, I mean probably 20 in the past couple of months. In a 75 bed NICU. I don't recall ever looking after a pregnant woman ventilated with influenza type A. So if I were pregnant I'd be staying well away from crowds.

Beck
09-02-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm very concerned. We do regular vaccinations for our children, though on an altered schedule (spaced out more, more single shots). We've never had the seasonal flu shot, nor have we ever had the flu. We will not be getting the H1N1 shot either. My boys, who start school next week, will be taking hand sanitizer with them to keep in their bags, will be told to wash their hands very frequently, and we'll be boosting our immune systems naturally.

Many in the health professions are refusing to get the vax. If they are concerned, shouldn't we be? If you are on Facebook there's a group, Refusing the H1N1 vaccine, that shares great information on the topic.

MindiV
09-02-2009, 08:50 AM
I was told at a recent hospital board meeting that the LAST people on the priority list for the flu vaccine are elderly people...wow. Just wow. I can only imagine how many of our residents we'll lose if there's a bad flu outbreak in our town....

slimmercindy
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
I have never gotten a flu shot but I am this year, I think it will be a really bad flu season. I especially worry about people that have additional health issues.

jenjen
09-02-2009, 11:06 AM
I'll get a regular flu shot, but I WILL NOT get the H1N1. I've seen the articles and I'm not willing to chance it.

MindiV - If I remember correctly, they are recommending not giving the H1N1 to people over a certain age because they've already been exposed to the virus from previous outbreaks like the 1970s and for some reason I think there was one in the '50s. That doesn't mean they aren't recommending the "regular" flu shot for the elderly.

IMO, the H1N1 was so over-hyped last year, it wasn't even funny. In TX (and esp. in Houston) they planned to shut down schools for 2 weeks to a month and then let kids back in a week. Craziness.

Fat Pants
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
I won't be getting it for the mere fact that it hasn't been sufficiently tested.

However, I also went to Mexico at the height of the swine flu scare, so wasn't that concerned to begin with. Margaritas and the beach were a bigger draw that staying inside worrying about getting sick. ;)

Satine
09-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Everything I have read ( and even just this morning on cnn ) says that the media has blown this WAY out of porportion ...it is not any worse than the reg flu that goes around...they say this season that 30-90k could die from this flu but they fail to tell you that 30-40k die each year with the regular flu....I agree with everyone else, keep your hands washed, dont touch your face...It'll blow over ...

kittycat40
09-02-2009, 12:14 PM
One of the differences between a "regular flu" and the swine flu is that swine is actively contageous for a full 7 days. Regular flu, only 24 hours after fever. That means, in a school setting, that many more children will be getting sick. Last spring, my town's middle school had 40% out with either swine of or infuenza A (regular flu). They closed the school mid week to sanitize and then reopened the following monday.

The concern I have heard mentioned is that this spring we were hit extremely hard with swine and other flus. That is low season for these viruses. The scare is for the high season... how many more people than the already very large numbers.

All of my 4 boys had high fevers for 5 days. Of course, not at the same time. It was awful. I work in health care. We will all get vaccinated.

HotWings
09-02-2009, 12:32 PM
The H1N1 virus that's just been through here was more harmless than the regular flu. They made a big deal about it to begin with, but in the end they weren't even testing people. I'm pretty sure that's the one that's headed your way.

I wouldn't be getting the vaccine. I'd wash my hands lots and take my chances with the virus. The people I know who've had it were sick, but the mortality rate has been less than for the regular flu.

Having said that, it has some bizarre effects on pregnant women. I work in NICU, and we had a lot of babies who were sectioned early from women who ended up ventilated in ICU with H1N1 influenza. Don't know why. It doesn't transfer to the babies, we just got them out as the parasitic effect on mum's body was making her worse.

When I say a few, I mean probably 20 in the past couple of months. In a 75 bed NICU. I don't recall ever looking after a pregnant woman ventilated with influenza type A. So if I were pregnant I'd be staying well away from crowds.

Good info to know, Primm! The H1N1 that is supposed to be coming here .. I think is a mutated form that recently started in Mexico? I may be wrong there. :shrug:

HotWings
09-02-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm very concerned. We do regular vaccinations for our children, though on an altered schedule (spaced out more, more single shots). We've never had the seasonal flu shot, nor have we ever had the flu. We will not be getting the H1N1 shot either. My boys, who start school next week, will be taking hand sanitizer with them to keep in their bags, will be told to wash their hands very frequently, and we'll be boosting our immune systems naturally.

Many in the health professions are refusing to get the vax. If they are concerned, shouldn't we be? If you are on Facebook there's a group, Refusing the H1N1 vaccine, that shares great information on the topic.

We are doing an altered schedule, too. Is there one in particular that you are following? We don't get the flu shot, either. I think part of the problem with flu vaccines (for us anyway) is they don't necessarily work for whatever flu is going around.. and it's the flu - in someone healthy to begin with that's not a big threat, and if we catch the flu then natural immunity to that flu will follow. We are going to do the hand sanitizer thing as well whenever we go to public places and I am looking into boosting natural immunity, too. I found this site last night:

http://www.tbyil.com/Flu.htm

But man there are a lot of different things there. What are you doing to boost natural immunity?

HotWings
09-02-2009, 12:41 PM
MindiV - If I remember correctly, they are recommending not giving the H1N1 to people over a certain age because they've already been exposed to the virus from previous outbreaks like the 1970s and for some reason I think there was one in the '50s. That doesn't mean they aren't recommending the "regular" flu shot for the elderly.

Yes, that is what I have read, too. Anyone born prior to 1957 they are saying likely has at least some natural immunity.

JulieJ08
09-02-2009, 12:51 PM
Start now breaking the habit of touching your face or eyes ever (except right after washing your hands at home). That's a biggie, because you can't sanitize your hands a 1000 times a day.

HotWings
09-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Start now breaking the habit of touching your face or eyes ever (except right after washing your hands at home). That's a biggie, because you can't sanitize your hands a 1000 times a day.

Good advice, Julie. I have to take my kids everywhere with me and it really concerns me about them touching their face/eyes in this situation. From what I have read, this new swine flu should reach peak in late October, start waning in November and eventually die out. As harrism said, this will be an interesting flu season!

mandalinn82
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
With any vaccine, it's a question of considering the likelihood of contracting the virus and getting sick (and the additional chances of becoming seriously sick and/or dying), versus the likelihood of side effects from the vaccine. Factors affecting your likelihood to be exposed have to be weighed against factors that might make the vaccine less safe for you.

I don't think it's irresponsible of the government to push for and offer a vaccine with limited testing (though not -no- testing, they are running trials currently for major issues) when a virus becomes as prevalent as H1N1, and when there are multiple groups that are very high risk for that virus (such as pregnant women). Making the vaccine mandatory would, of course, be crossing a line without a much bigger threat than H1N1 (say, a return of smallpox).

Most states do have laws that say, basically, "if you don't allow us to treat you, we will quarantine you", and every state can take you into quarantine against your will if there is reason to believe you are infected with something dangerous. H1N1, though, is seriously unlikely to provoke that kind of reaction from anyone, unless it mutates into something far more serious. But you absolutely can, now, be taken into quarantine and given medical treatment against your will for infectious diseases in most states. A lot of these abilities were put in place after the anthrax scares as a safeguard against the spread of viruses released via bioterrorism (again, smallpox would be an example).

I think that all vaccination programs (and governmental actions) need to consider the severity of the threat. I don't think H1N1 is probably a sufficient threat to force mandatory vaccines, but it may have spread patterns or other patterns that justify other measures (school closures, etc) that we haven't fully seen yet. However, these laws giving states some power in an epidemic do need to be in place, in my opinion, because in the event of a REALLY threatening virus, the state needs to have the ability to come in and protect the health of those who are not infected (If a live smallpox virus was released, I'd want mandatory vaccines for everyone whose health did not contraindicate the vaccine, and anything else that could be done to prevent spread. Smallpox has a mortality rate between 33-50 percent, though, so such measures would be justified in a smallpox outbreak, and not in H1N1 outbreaks)

HotWings
09-02-2009, 03:26 PM
With any vaccine, it's a question of considering the likelihood of contracting the virus and getting sick (and the additional chances of becoming seriously sick and/or dying), versus the likelihood of side effects from the vaccine. Factors affecting your likelihood to be exposed have to be weighed against factors that might make the vaccine less safe for you.

I don't think it's irresponsible of the government to push for and offer a vaccine with limited testing (though not -no- testing, they are running trials currently for major issues) when a virus becomes as prevalent as H1N1, and when there are multiple groups that are very high risk for that virus (such as pregnant women). Making the vaccine mandatory would, of course, be crossing a line without a much bigger threat than H1N1 (say, a return of smallpox).

Most states do have laws that say, basically, "if you don't allow us to treat you, we will quarantine you", and every state can take you into quarantine against your will if there is reason to believe you are infected with something dangerous. H1N1, though, is seriously unlikely to provoke that kind of reaction from anyone, unless it mutates into something far more serious. But you absolutely can, now, be taken into quarantine and given medical treatment against your will for infectious diseases in most states. A lot of these abilities were put in place after the anthrax scares as a safeguard against the spread of viruses released via bioterrorism (again, smallpox would be an example).

I think that all vaccination programs (and governmental actions) need to consider the severity of the threat. I don't think H1N1 is probably a sufficient threat to force mandatory vaccines, but it may have spread patterns or other patterns that justify other measures (school closures, etc) that we haven't fully seen yet. However, these laws giving states some power in an epidemic do need to be in place, in my opinion, because in the event of a REALLY threatening virus, the state needs to have the ability to come in and protect the health of those who are not infected (If a live smallpox virus was released, I'd want mandatory vaccines for everyone whose health did not contraindicate the vaccine, and anything else that could be done to prevent spread. Smallpox has a mortality rate between 33-50 percent, though, so such measures would be justified in a smallpox outbreak, and not in H1N1 outbreaks)

I agree here - I don't think it is wrong for them to try and control an outbreak with a vaccine - as long as it is voluntary AND as long as people are educated and informed with non-biased info regarding the possible side effects and safety testing. As for us (after discussing with DH), we will not be getting the H1N1 vaccine, but we are making an educated choice regarding what we think would be best in our situation.

My Mother, on the other hand (spoke to her on the phone today and she wanted to know if I was taking the children in for vaccination), is upset with me for not immediately going and getting my kids vaccinated for regular flu this week - and even more upset that I am not planning to get the swine flu vaccine. I love my Mom, but she places blind faith in anyone she considers an authority.. doctors being one. She does not look at all sides and argues her point based on what Dr. Whoever told her. In her defense, she was raised that way. And I am not trying to say doctors don't know what they are doing - they are highly educated, but they are still people and no doctor can know everything about every disease all the time. It's impossible. A lot of people are like my Mom. Many times through no fault of their own - information isn't made readily available - in the news, for example.

We take control of our health decisions and try to make the most informed choice (with info from many perspectives). It does disturb me some, though, that my Mom thinks I am on some kind of lunatic fringe because I don't take everything a doctor (any doctor!) says as gospel. I think we are making the right choice for us, but you know, she's my Mom. :) I just hope people are given all the information so they can make a good choice for their family - whatever that may be.

Ruthxxx
09-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Aside from hand washing and vaccine if you decide to go that route, building up your immune system is a good strategy. Good healthy eating and vitamin supplementation is on my schedule. I'm an "old fart" at 70 and for once am glad to have been born before 1957. :) However, I am also overweight and diabetic so my doc may want me to get the shot. We'll see when the time comes.

Shannon in ATL
09-02-2009, 04:02 PM
I learned today that a child in class with my staff accountant's son has confirmed swine flu - they are ten months old, so her family is under watch for the 7 day incubation period. Her office is across the hall from me. We work upstairs in a restaurant, so have to practice strict sanitary practices anyway, this will just make us more careful.

Was reading about 50 people quarantined into a separate residence hall at Emory today, numerous cases at UGA. I admit that I'm getting a little nervous.

kaplods
09-02-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't think it's irresponsible of the government to push for and offer a vaccine with limited testing (though not -no- testing, they are running trials currently for major issues) when a virus becomes as prevalent as H1N1, and when there are multiple groups that are very high risk for that virus (such as pregnant women). Making the vaccine mandatory would, of course, be crossing a line without a much bigger threat than H1N1 (say, a return of smallpox)....

The technique for developing a flu vaccine follows a well-tested and established "recipe." It's not as though they're reinventing the wheel. The majority of vaccines are created from the specific virus, by a specific set of procedures. The vaccine contains the virus that has been modified, either weakened or killed. In their altered states, vaccine pathogens are typically safe and unable to cause disease. When a flu vaccine "backfires" and causes illness, it's usually because of the person being allergic to the vaccine ingredients, or because the person's immunity was greatly diminished - and they were unable to fight off the weakened virus. The thing is that if a person is unable to fight off the weakened virus, they would also not have been able to fight off the much stronger natural form of the virus. Again, the risk of contracting the disease has to be weighed against the known risks of the vaccine (which are still the same as with all virus vaccines).

"Dead" virus vaccines are the safest (there's no risk of getting the disease from the virus), but they're also less effective than live-but-weakened virus vaccines. In essence, it's like presenting a dead or injured animal to a scent hound, so they know what they're hunting (only the blood hound in this case is your immune system).

I'm not concerned with the swine flu vaccine or any other flu vaccines, because I understand the benefits/risks. I've not generally gotten the flu vaccine in the past because I've always been in the age/health group that it's generally NOT recommended for. However, now I'm in a high-risk group (I have an autoimmune disease attacking my lungs and sinuses). In March, I had a flu turn into pneumonia, so I've been reconsidering whether I should get flu vaccinations, when they're available (probably).

Wolf Goddess
09-02-2009, 08:59 PM
I've never had any flu vaccines, and have never gotten the flu. I don't feel particularly compelled to get this one. If I get sick, I'll stay home.

ButterFly49
09-03-2009, 02:31 PM
I had the flu one year - that was all I needed. I hurt everywhere and even my hair hurt. I never want to feel that way again. Especially now since I'm much, much older. I get my flu shot every year. I'm more afraid of the flu than the shot.

junebug41
09-03-2009, 02:43 PM
I've never had any flu vaccines, and have never gotten the flu. I don't feel particularly compelled to get this one. If I get sick, I'll stay home.

I've never had the vaccine and I've had the flu exactly one time years ago.

However, I would like to TTC this winter/spring, so if my obgyn thinks it's a good idea I might consider it. That's really the only circumstance, though.

ICUwishing
09-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Just another tidbit to throw in - making sure your Vit D levels are in the high-normal range appears to have value in protection against the flu. Limited studies - but Vit D is a cheap supplement and evidence is building that it plays a far bigger role in health than anyone gave it credit for.

But yes, near-compulsive levels of handwashing are going to be the rule. My employer has already made it clear that NO ONE is to try to "gut it out" at work if you're sick - take the laptop and the cell home, and stay there! There's some vague implied "or else's" in there too ...

willa
09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
I wont be getting that vaccine, that's one thing for sure

Last time I got one was 1 year ˝ ago and I havent been that sick of my life... :mad: I got 123098209348 bronchitis/flu/gastro...

Before that I wasnt sick at all, never... people were impressed how good my immune system was

FrouFrou
09-03-2009, 04:27 PM
I am not worried at all. I have never gotten a flu shot and don't plan to get one now..any kind. the people I know who have gotten them in the past just got the flu and they never got another so...if it aint broke, don't fix it.

CJZee
09-03-2009, 05:45 PM
I get a regular flu shot every year. I got the "original" swine flu vaccine back in the 70's, and will probably get the one this year if I'm able to get it (I'm sure it will be in short supply and I'm not sure if I'm eligible). I will try to read up on all the known risks and make my decision if/when it becomes available to me.

It is never known for sure if a flu will spread widely or how virulent it will be, but the medical community is scared of this one, so I am too. By the time you're in the middle of an epidemic, it is too late to take the vaccine.

Just to be on the cautious side, I have already purchased the best type of masks, a couple of pairs of swim goggles (to keep "stuff" out of my eyes and keep me from touching my eyes) and alcohol wipes if we get hit with it bad. If someone sneezes on me, I don't want to get what they've got. I am not a hypochondriac at all, I just think it's a preventive measure, especially if I decide not to take the vaccine.

No, I won't be wearing this stuff around unless it gets bad. But if it does, I'm going to be glad I got it.

JulieJ08
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
I think maybe some people are confusing getting the flu from the flu shot with an adverse reaction to the flu shot. The flu shot induces your body to create immunity - thus it may *act* like it has the flu. It mounts the response it would mount in response to actual flu. In some people, it may feel just like they have the flu. But that is not the same thing as being *infected* with anything.

murphmitch
09-03-2009, 07:48 PM
As a health care provider for newborns, if the vaccine becomes available I expect to get it. I've already recieved my regular flu shot last week and I do get it every year. The flu vaccine (injection) cannot give you the flu. It is a dead vaccine. If you get sick after getting it, you were probably already going to come down with something. Other than an allergic reaction, side effects from the vaccine include mild fever, tenderness or mild swelling at the injection site and mild body aches. I remember getting the "swine flu" vaccine back in the 70's as a nursing student. From the studies I have read, the link to Guillian Barre Syndrome was a very weak one with lots of possibly misinterpreted data. I have also read about the Vitamin D link to increased resistance to the flu. I'm going to make sure I get my Vitamin D in daily.

ernurse
09-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I work in the emergency department in Maine. There are many summer camps here and many kids from all over the United States (not to mention kids from out of the U.S )that attended these camps for part or entire summer. I can't even count/remember how many "cold symptom" camp kids we saw. Any kid/counselor coming in with cough and cold symptoms gets a face mask. I think we had a total of 15positive flu kids. Food for thought.... Kids in tight living quarters from all over the world get together during the summer...remember the summer...flu should not be around....I'm not sure about the H1N1 vaccine (it will be 2 separate shots). I do get the flu vaccine...I'm one of the front line people in the emergency department. I protect my family by getting the vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine? I'm still thinking and researching it....One thing is for sure....PLEASE WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY,,,,KEEP YOUR HANDS AWAY FROM YOUR FACE.....UNLESS IT IS RIGHT AFTER YOU WASH YOUR HANDS....COVER YOUR MOUTH AND NOSE WHEN COUGHING AND SNEEZING, AS ONE OF THE MANY FRONT LINE PEOPLE, WE APPRECIATE THIS. :hug:

blueberry3
09-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I'm not *too* concerned. I mean I am a little, but not to great lengths. 2 people I know have gotten swine flu but it wasn't that bad for either of them -- it was a lot like the normal flu, so maybe it's not as big of a deal as we all thought it was in the spring -- remember how everyone was panicking then? I think it is less serious now. I am keeping my eye on this Flu tracker (http://battlethebug.com) though -- it uses data from google to estimate where there are the most cases of the flu. So far in my area it looks like it's not too bad, so I'm not all that worried yet!

ANOther
09-16-2009, 07:26 PM
FrouFrou & Wolf Goddess, my boss's son-in-law's brother felt kind of sick one day while he was at work and made an appointment to see the doctor the following day. He never made it to the doctor: he was found dead at his desk. The autopsy showed viral damage to the heart, apparently from the flu. He was only 28. Unless I knew I was likely to have a bad reaction to the vaccine (my mom did and so she doesn't get the shot), I'd rather take my chances with the shot than with the flu. Flu CAN kill. :soap: :nono:

Lori259
09-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Not sure what I will do...I am worried about my kids the most.I try to get them to wash there hands Alot but kids are hard to keep up with on that~I wash my hands alot but noone else in my home will get with it!

Just not sure.....Proboly will do the shots most definetly.

I have asthma and when the weather changes I have to wear a dust mask because the cold air takes my breath~this helps me to avoid severe asthma attacks everyday...so hopefully it helps me to avoid the flu and hopefully I do not get bad breathing problems from it if I get it~because regular flus always effect my breathing.

~actually people this year will proboly think I have the swine flu when I wear My dust mask outdoors~Well at least I will get my errands done quickly without lost of interuptions!!

murphmitch
09-16-2009, 11:24 PM
We were notified last week at work (hospital) that it is mandatory to get the seasonal flu vaccine this year unless you have a medical or religious waiver. If you do have a waiver that's legitimate and refuse the vaccine, you must wear a face mask anytime you are in a patient care area from December 1st thru the flu season. If you have no waiver and refuse the shot, you face disciplinary action and suspension. This will probably apply for the H1N1 vaccine too when it becomes available.

harrismm
09-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Us also Anne.All nurses on the front line are being vaccinated now.I will get all vaccines willingly.I have taken care of many very ill patients with the flu!!!!Not a pretty site!And my children and dh will get the vaccines also.

murphmitch
09-16-2009, 11:37 PM
FrouFrou & Wolf Goddess, my boss's son-in-law's brother felt kind of sick one day while he was at work and made an appointment to see the doctor the following day. He never made it to the doctor: he was found dead at his desk. The autopsy showed viral damage to the heart, apparently from the flu. He was only 28.

I have seen patients waiting for a heart transplant after suffering from cardiomyopathy (heart damage) from a virus. Pretty rare but scary!

p7eggyc
09-17-2009, 06:04 PM
I wanted to add a couple of thoughts:

Along the lines of don't go to work sick, staying home if you do become sick is probably one of the most important things you can do to help prevent the spread. Consider making plans with family/friends who can be flu buddies to run to the store, etc. for you and you for them if one of you becomes ill. The advice is to stay home at least 24 hours AFTER your last fever subsides w/o medication. Try to stay home except for medical treatment if you require it. I believe that testing will be very limited so I wouldn't go to the ED or dr. uless you need treatment because they probably won't test unless you are hospitalized. Don't hesitate to go if your symptoms justify it but lots of people get very curious about whether they have something like this and needlessly go just for that reason. Save your copay and take a nap. ;)

Also, getting a few supplies in wouldn't be a bad idea just in case your area has a bad outbreak. Lozenges, a thermometer, analgesics, chicken soup, juices are all things to keep stocked up this winter in particular both to avoid outages and needless trips out in public.

As for me, I always get a seasonal flu shot. The time off work alone would be a hardship for me and I believe the risk of the flu is much higher than the risk of the vaccine although neither is risk free. I will encourage my father to get the H1N1 vaccine because of his COPD as that is one of the conditions I believe it is going to be indicated for. I would consider it for myself but don't think I'll be the most indicated population according to the current epidemiologic data.

Oh, and everything Mandalinn said too! :)

Peg