100 lb. Club - Yes, World. It is possible to lose weight without surgery or diet pills.

time2lose
09-01-2009, 02:30 PM
I had a check-up with my gynecologist today. It was much more pleasant than last year's. Losing weight makes everything easier. Got lots of congrats and "keep up the good work" on losing 65 pounds. My bp was 112/64, almost too good to be true.

Of course I weighed more on their scale. It was late morning, had eaten breakfast, and was fully clothed. I did not even take my shoes off. I am going by my scale at home but when comparing my weight in the office last year and this year, my total amount of loss was the same.

The surprising part, (and I don't know why) when the nurse took my information, she asked, "Did I have gastric bypass or lap band?" I said, "Neither, I used old fashion calorie counting and exercise." She didn't look up from her notes and asked, "Which diet pills are you on?" My answer, "None, old fashion calorie counting and exercise." She looked up, clearly surprised and asked, "You mean you have lost 65 pounds without surgery or diet pills?"

"Yes, old fashion calorie counting and exercise."

I loved the puzzled look on her face. I can't wait to see her again next year.

Yes, World. It is possible to lose weight without surgery or diet pills.

beerab
09-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Congratulations to you- but PFT on her for assuming you can ONLY lose weight with diet pills or surgery! The people here are living proof of that!

Elladorine
09-01-2009, 02:44 PM
That's so awesome!!! :hug:

It's amazing how people, even those in the health profession, automatically assume the only way to lose a significant amount of weight is through surgery or diet pills. :o No wonder so many people who need help losing weight turn to those measures.

JayEll
09-01-2009, 02:47 PM
That rocks the house! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2: Isn't it great?

Jay

Onederchic
09-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Wooo!! :cheer3::woohoo:

diyana
09-01-2009, 02:49 PM
Congratulations, Cheryl! You go, girl!

iDream
09-01-2009, 02:51 PM
That's awesome!!! :carrot: I wonder what she's going to say next year? ;)

bargoo
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Congratulations ! I think that nurse needs some education on weight loss.

run2bstrong
09-01-2009, 02:54 PM
Big hugs coming your way!!!

ubergirl
09-01-2009, 02:56 PM
That's so awesome!!! :hug:

It's amazing how people, even those in the health profession, automatically assume the only way to lose a significant amount of weight is through surgery or diet pills. :o No wonder so many people who need help losing weight turn to those measures.

This is so true! I was ONE DAY away from having lap-band a year ago when some insurance issues got in the way and postponed it.

Now I'm way below the weight that I was when I was supposed to get the surgery.

Both my GP and my surgeon told me that it was "basically impossible" for someone my size to lose weight.

To them, I say HA!

cfmama
09-01-2009, 03:07 PM
Yah... I get that ALL THE FREAKING TIME. And they don't ever believe you either!!!

HotWings
09-01-2009, 03:35 PM
This is so true! I was ONE DAY away from having lap-band a year ago when some insurance issues got in the way and postponed it.

Both my GP and my surgeon told me that it was "basically impossible" for someone my size to lose weight.

To them, I say HA!

OMG it is so hard to believe a DOCTOR would think it's that way for someone with a significant amount of weight to lose. You gotta be kidding me??!?! Before weight loss surgery was around... how the blankety-blank did they advise anyone on how to lose weight? This is shocking to me - doctors & surgeons being so ill-informed about such a simple thing. It's not an easy thing to do, but dang the concept is simple. Geez. :dizzy: Do you think they are that ignorant.. or maybe making money is on their priority list? I would hate to think making money would come before honest advice... especially for the medical profession. :(

Rosinante
09-01-2009, 03:38 PM
T2L - yeeha!

Onederchic
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM

To them, I say HA!

HA indeed. If that's true, there are quite a few miracles on this site.

WormwoodDoll
09-01-2009, 03:59 PM
Way to go!!

People always ask me how I do it like I am doing something unexplained. I count my calories, I watch my portions, and I exercise. I don't tell myself no. It's simple. It's easy.

Keep on dropping those pounds!

Jo Kittibuck
09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
It's worse when you DID have a lap band put in... I got one two Novembers ago, and it did absolutely nothing. Apparently a device that controls fullness doesn't really matter when you're ignoring your fullness anyway.

Since March, I've lost 45 lbs through sheer effort, counting calories, and exercise. Very proud of myself. Of course, every time I visit my mom, it's "Seeeee, the lap band is finally paying off!"

*grumble grumble*

rockinrobin
09-01-2009, 04:23 PM

To them, I say HA!

Me too! My doctors words were, "It's next to impossible to get off all the weight that you'll need to without surgery", while she made a very disappointed and doubting face.

And sooo many people start talking to me as if I've had the surgery. They don't even ask if I did, just launch straight into the surgery talk.

Well now maybe that nurse will know it!!! Although she probably thinks you're some oddity or something ;). Congratulations. Must have felt MARVELOUS.

Tai
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Congratulations on your success! You're doing so well.

I've gotten these comments too regarding surgery. I'd also been told by both a doctor and a nurse practitioner that the only way I could get my weight off would be through surgery.

Angihas2
09-01-2009, 04:54 PM
I think most of us have or will experience these questions and the disbelief that follows the answers. My sister went from a size 20 to a size 0, in roughly 5 months, however, she's a drug addict. All I hear from my mama is how quickly my sister took it off and how mine seems to be taking me forever. Well.....YEAH?

What I like most about your post was how obvious it was the nurse wasn't really LISTENING to you. You said the same thing three times before she tuned in, which is just sad.

harrismm
09-01-2009, 05:02 PM
It's worse when you DID have a lap band put in... I got one two Novembers ago, and it did absolutely nothing. Apparently a device that controls fullness doesn't really matter when you're ignoring your fullness anyway.

Since March, I've lost 45 lbs through sheer effort, counting calories, and exercise. Very proud of myself. Of course, every time I visit my mom, it's "Seeeee, the lap band is finally paying off!"

*grumble grumble*

I appreciate your honesty.This has been a burning question in my mind...how does wls work if the issue that causes the overeating has not been fixed?

susiemartin
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
What a wonderful check up! Congrats on the BP :carrot:

It really gets to me that medical professionals have bought into the whole weight loss surgery.
Must be loads of money to be made :(

ANewCreation
09-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Taking the opposing side....I think the medical profession often thinks that way because they don't see too many people trying it the 'old fashioned' way with any long lasting results.

I have an old fashioned PA (young girl by the way) who has been encouraging me to eat less and move more. I was the one who didn't think I could do it. I've read some pretty depressing statistics about how low the numbers are for those who maintain a permanent weight loss. As a matter of fact I left my last visit with a referral for a local dr. who performed wt. loss surgery. It was only when I went online looking for info that I found this site and found myself inspired by those of you doing it and maintaining without surgical intervention, that I postponed my plans to pursue surgery.

Anyway....that's my take on things. Congrats to all who are winning the battle without surgery!

fjcinzion
09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Congratulations!!! :cheer2: :woohoo: :cheer3:

Jadebatdog
09-01-2009, 05:57 PM
I know, I am very open about my weight loss and people always ask me "what's your secret?" I tell them "calorie counting and exercise" and they don't seem so excited.

rockinrobin
09-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I know, I am very open about my weight loss and people always ask me "what's your secret?" I tell them "calorie counting and exercise" and they don't seem so excited.

YEs, I get the same reaction. They lose interest very quickly when I tell them the big secret is that there is no secret.

JulieJ08
09-01-2009, 07:26 PM
It's not an easy thing to do, but dang the concept is simple. Geez. :dizzy: Do you think they are that ignorant.. or maybe making money is on their priority list? I would hate to think making money would come before honest advice... especially for the medical profession. :(

I think the primary care doctors are not saying that for money. They don't make money off the surgery. They should still do better. But I think it's the numbers of people they see day in and day out, years on end, who don't do anything, that makes them jaded. Combined with not having the training or time to offer much else.

Tummy Girl
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
I'd have to agree, I've found over my years that doctors and nurses often know as little about nutrition as the rest of us but WTG and that must have been awesome!

harrismm
09-01-2009, 07:36 PM
Actually money is made by more than just the WLS surgeons themselves.A clinic of physicians consist of many many specialties.They are usually stock holders in the clinic.They all make money off of each other.....sad but true.Bottom line, it is a business.

JulieJ08
09-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Actually money is made by more than just the WLS surgeons themselves.A clinic of physicians consist of many many specialties.They are usually stock holders in the clinic.They all make money off of each other.....sad but true.Bottom line, it is a business.

Yes, but the vast majority of us do not have a primary care physician with financial connections to a weight loss clinic. YMMV.

EveLHaelf
09-01-2009, 08:16 PM
Congrats on your success! It's funny how puzzled she was! You go girl! :carrot:

ernurse
09-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Good evening ladies....I am an ED nurse and you are right. Most nurses and doctors, unless they have looked into weight loss strategies...are usually clueless as compared to us here at this site. About 10 years ago, my MD at the time tried me on diet pills to lose weight...At the time, I didn't have my RN but no matter, I was clueless. I have been a nurse for almost 9 years and overweight all those years. I heard about WW from a few coworkers, secretaries, techs, nurses, one doc. I invested some time, talking to people who have tried WW, researched stuff on the net, then took the plunge.....I've learned 1, portion control. 2. Eat healthy -- protein, fruit, vegetables, whole wheat, low fat or no fat... and 3. I will always have a food problem, therefore for me it is not a diet until .....so and so day, it is a lifetime commitment to myself, to take care of myself. I have learned that lesson here also, I am the most important person to myself. I'm not saying I know everything about weight loss, but I know what works for me, and that is a major point, I must do what works for me.....you must do what works for you....for a lifetime...not just until so and so time. :hug:

CountingDown
09-01-2009, 08:37 PM
:congrat: You are definitely an inspiration to all - and obviously you can teach your doctor a few things about weight loss!

ICUwishing
09-01-2009, 09:06 PM
T2L - THANK YOU . You're opening a realm of possibilities for other people - and maybe that dense nurse just might offer one more old-fashioned option to the next sad and unhappy person who comes in the door looking for help.

TJFitnessDiva
09-01-2009, 09:52 PM

I love it!!

One of my aunts is spreading the rumor that I've had WL surgery. If I did I'd scream it to the world if it I was this far down because of it...buuut I didn't. Blah to her trying to rain on my parade :lol:

rockinrobin
09-01-2009, 10:06 PM
I love it!!

One of my aunts is spreading the rumor that I've had WL surgery. If I did I'd scream it to the world if it I was this far down because of it...buuut I didn't. Blah to her trying to rain on my parade :lol:

Oh my goodness. I've said almost the same exact words so many times. "If I'd had WLS and these were my results, I'd be screaming it from the roof tops." Really.

I

starfishkitty
09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
That cracked me up!! Good for you!! hehe Amazing how they have so little faith in people... then again.... maybe they're kinda right. Most people these days don't want to do it the good ole fashioned way... i.e. the HARD WAY. Everyone looks to quick answers and pills for everything from sex to weight loss to happiness..... *shrug* What do you expect?

SunshineCA
09-03-2009, 01:37 AM
LOVE IT!!!! :)

Elladorine
09-03-2009, 01:46 AM
YEs, I get the same reaction. They lose interest very quickly when I tell them the big secret is that there is no secret.
It seems people are still looking for that ever-elusive "magic pill," whether it comes in the form of surgery or an actual pill.

WhitePicketFences
09-03-2009, 07:17 AM
The only person who has asked me if I have surgery was a salesgirl at Lane Bryant, in the spring. She had made some snippy comment about how many things I was trying on and said I don't even look big enough to shop there (HA -- I'll take that kind of snark any day!) I explained why I didn't know what size I was, how much I'd lost by then and she asked if I had WLS. I said no and then she told me how she lost a lot as well. Here is when I noticed that she wasn't exactly obese either. Anyway, she warmed up and told me that I'm the only other person she's met who has lost significant weight without surgery. Though that was interesting. I haven't exactly 'met' a lot of people who've lost, so I don't have a frame of reference. You guys on this board :-)

The nurse who weighed me at my last drs appointment was impressed -- didn't bring up WLS at all but asked me questions about how hard it was, what I ate. At first I thought she was asking for purposes related to the visit, or that she was concerned somehow -- I had anorexia/bulimia as a teen, so maybe I am sensitive. But she kept getting more specific and writing down my answers in this little personal-looking notebook she had in her purse. Then she started pulling out snacks from her desk drawer and asking me what I thought of these bars, etc. Kind of funny now that I think about it. She wanted to lose about 40 lbs.

ubergirl
09-03-2009, 08:55 AM
I haven't exactly 'met' a lot of people who've lost, so I don't have a frame of reference. You guys on this board :-)

I think this is really interesting, and very revealing. It's true that it's hard to meet people who have lost a significant amount of weight through dieting.

Every once in a while you meet someone who is losing significant amounts of weight, and it's so unexpected that it's almost startling.

But I think this is one of the big obstacles. If the entire health care profession and most people believe it's impossible, then how likely is it that you are going to succeed? Because, for years, I know that when I looked at that slice of chocolate cake and tried to decide whether or not I should eat it, a part of me said "why not, because being fat is a permanent condition."

The belief that you can succeed, and that others have done it is key to the ability to succeed.

time2lose
09-03-2009, 09:05 AM
ubergirl originally posted The belief that you can succeed, and that others have done it is key to the ability to succeed.

Exactly, you do have to believe and it is very helpful to see examples. In my humble opinion, one reason 3 Fat Chicks is so helpful is because the maintainers stick around and show us that it is possible. I plan to stick around to show that even at 50+ years it is possible.

I also think that the Joy Fit club on the Today show helps with this. I love seeing the new members and hearing their stories.

In real life, I know a few success stories. A friend from church lost 100 pounds on WW and has kept it off for over a year. I don't know what her weight is now but she is not a size 8. However, I know that she is bound to feel better than she did 100 pounds ago.

I have several coworkers that had WLS when our insurance covered it. They only covered it for a couple of years, 2003 and 2004, I think. It was before I started here but have heard their stories. All lost weight and all but 2 have put a good deal of weight back on. They are smaller than when they started but I think it shows that WLS is not always the answer.

Aclai4067
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
I'm thankful that my physician views surgery and pills as a last resort for everything. Not that she's afraid to prescribe them when needed (she gave me some bomb-a** antibiotics when I went to her with a fever of 104 last year), but she doesn't just throw pills at you like so many doctors out there. If it can be fixed with physical therapy, homeopathic remedies, or healthy lifestyle changes, then that's what she has you try first. Needless to say, she's thrilled that I decided to go with Weight Watchers.

Windchime
09-03-2009, 10:51 AM
Exactly, you do have to believe and it is very helpful to see examples. In my humble opinion, one reason 3 Fat Chicks is so helpful is because the maintainers stick around and show us that it is possible. I plan to stick around to show that even at 50+ years it is possible.

I agree that the presence of the maintainers is a vital part of the success of those of us who are in earlier stages of the journey. Honestly, before I came to 3FC, I don't think I 'knew' anyone who had lost significant weight and kept it off. Maybe one or two people. Everyone else was like me; they'd lose 30 or 40 pounds, keep it off for a year or so and then it would slowly creep back on. Knowing that there are people who have not only lost significant amounts of weight but are happily maintaining that loss--well, that's invaluable to me.

I agree with others who say that many times, doctors are probably incredulous at the idea of losing through diet and exercise for the same reason that we were when we first started out--because they don't know anyone in real life who is willing to put forth that kind of committment.

I am thankful every day that I found this place. Every single day.

ubergirl
09-03-2009, 11:00 AM
I agree that the presence of the maintainers is a vital part of the success of those of us who are in earlier stages of the journey. Honestly, before I came to 3FC, I don't think I 'knew' anyone who had lost significant weight and kept it off. Maybe one or two people. Everyone else was like me; they'd lose 30 or 40 pounds, keep it off for a year or so and then it would slowly creep back on. Knowing that there are people who have not only lost significant amounts of weight but are happily maintaining that loss--well, that's invaluable to me.

I agree with others who say that many times, doctors are probably incredulous at the idea of losing through diet and exercise for the same reason that we were when we first started out--because they don't know anyone in real life who is willing to put forth that kind of committment.

I am thankful every day that I found this place. Every single day.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.

:)

Bunnababy
09-03-2009, 11:12 AM
:carrot::carrot::carrot: Great job!!! :broc::broc::broc:

GirlyGirlSebas
09-03-2009, 11:20 AM

Yes! This is exactly why I've kept coming back here to 3FC for the last 3 years. Although I've not yet gotten my stuff together, the people here at 3FC give me hope. Losing large amounts of weight and keeping it off is possible!

Jen
09-03-2009, 12:13 PM
I'm a RN and I'm very, very surprised that the nurse jumped to the conclusion that you lost weight by surgery or diet pills. I'm certain I never would have asked something like that in assessing a patient. I know I've read articles by bariatric doctors who state that some people will never be able to lose the weight by conventional means and I don't know how I feel about that. Like if I was marooned on a desert island I'm pretty sure I'd lose weight!

Jadebatdog
09-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Honestly, I think the day I found this website is the day my life changed. I don't know ANYONE in real life who has managed who lose a bunch of weight and keep it off. I found out recently that my "loving" aunt was telling my mom that I needed to get WLS and that has haunted me for awhile. I hope that I get to see her again after I lose all my weight so I can tell her exactly how I lost it.

ubergirl
09-03-2009, 12:41 PM
I'm a RN and I'm very, very surprised that the nurse jumped to the conclusion that you lost weight by surgery or diet pills. I'm certain I never would have asked something like that in assessing a patient. I know I've read articles by bariatric doctors who state that some people will never be able to lose the weight by conventional means and I don't know how I feel about that. Like if I was marooned on a desert island I'm pretty sure I'd lose weight!

I know that in my case, my GP gave me a bunch of statistics about the rate of success in sustained weight loss, along with my age and basically said your chances are a lot better if you go for WLS, your chances of sustained weight loss through other methods are close to zero.

The thing is, and I don't know if others have been in this situation, but people who work in the bariatric field are VERY SUPPORTIVE. They act like they really get that the weight is a problem, and that you are really concerned about it and that you feel powerless, and as a fat person, it makes you feel like you are being heard.

I think that health providers just feel like there are so few tools at their disposal: it's easy to recommend lifestyle changes, but you know that in most cases, your patients already know what they should be doing but feel powerless to change. That makes you feel like you can't be very helpful to them...

(I'm a health care provider so I've experienced this phenomenon from both sides.)

H8cake
09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
The belief that you can succeed, and that others have done it is key to the ability to succeed.

This was so true for me as well. 3FC is such a great place for this reason. I thought I was doomed to be obese because almost everyone in my family is.

Congrat's to the OP! You are showing them it can be done and maybe that will encourage them to help others see there are other options for losing, not just surgery.