Closed Thread

Old 07-13-2002, 09:19 PM   #1  

Default 50 or more pounds #101

If you have or had 50 or more pounds to lose, jump on in and join us! You'll be sure to get a warm welcome.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:44 PM   #2  

Hi there, friends! How is the weekend going so far?
We have had lots of rain today in Central Florida- in fact, we've had a good bit of rain for the past 2 weeks. I spent some time at the kids' house working on the remaining cleaning chores, and ran a few errands in between downpours, but other than that it has been a quiet day.
Jan, are you in Texas or Florida or enroute somewhere by now? Hope you can post some pictures of your trip!
Linda, I'll keep my fingers crossed that the cast comes off next week, but I wouldn't bet the ranch on it if I were you! I'm still in a pretty bad flare up- I think part of it is the wet weather. I've been avoiding going on prednisone to knock it out because that always raises my blood pressure, but I'm afraid I may have to if things don't improve in the next few days. I've got too much to do to be slowed down by this right now!
Texaslady, we must see most things alike, because you always hit the nail on the head with me! The sale of the house is indeed bittersweet for me- we watched every brick and board go up 34 years ago. That is part of the reason I am glad I am here while they all are emptying the house. I'm glad the kids are selling and moving here because I think it will be good for them, but seeing the house empty would be very, very painful for me. So many memories- good and bad. Can't wait to see my little sweeties though, especially my little guy- he's been needing more "grandma fixes" on the phone lately. Probably exdh being up there right now makes him miss me more.

Speaking of exdh being up there for the move, a word of warning, ladies- if you ever have to rent a truck to move stuff, don't go to U-Haul!! The 26' truck they reserved and paid for weeks ago was not there- they ended up being chased an hour away, the only place UHaul could locate a 26' truck in the area. Apparently, I have been told since, they have a habit of doing this. Then there is the truck itself that exdh had to take: the speedometer, odometer, temp gauge and air conditioning don't work. And G has to drive this thing over 800 miles!!! He said the good news is the tires and brakes are new. The plan had been for G to take one dog with him while dsil took the other one in the car- but with no air conditioning in the truck, that is not an option. Since the dogs sometimes fight, dsil could have a long trip too dealing with both of them. I'm so glad dd and my little sweeties are flying down!

Well, I'd better go. Hi to Joyce and Janet(did I miss anyone? Sorry if I did- I'm half asleep). Have a good OP Sunday, everyone. "Talk" to you soon.
Carol
Old 07-13-2002, 10:00 PM   #3  
Inchworm

CAROL, sorry about that U-Haul nightmare! Hope his trip goes well. When is everybody scheduled to arrive in Florida?

VBS is over, we have a 5 day breather before company starts arriving. Our oldest son will arrive on Thursday to go fishing with his dad for 3 days next week, and 13 yr old dgd arrives next Saturday for a 2 week stay, from Spokane. her mom has to stay behind and work.

A friend wants to go with me to look for my 'Mother of the Bride dress" for dgd's wedding...time is so 'precious' these days!! I told her we can go "Tuesday", I hope something just"jumps off the rack at me"!
I'm doing a pot-luck at church tomorrow night. dh and dgd have been gone al day today for soccer, and will be again tomorow.
Monday is our 46th wedding anniversary, so will go out to dinner with some old friends.

My computer is still down, I will call on Monday to schedule a technician to look at it. dh says it is probably the harddrive, and I have most likely lost all my 'documents'. I didn't realize how much I really depend on it. Tonight I went to fix dinner and couldn't find my recipe, I know it was on my recipe fle, which I did not back up. I did make CDs of all my photos and Stain glass patterns. thank goodness, just wish I had done more.

Guess that is enuf moaning and groaning.
Hope all are doing well!
Old 07-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #4  

Carol, although "downpours" would be most welcome where JOYce and I live, I am sorry that the moist air is causing your lupus to be worse. That is the bunk. Gads, that U-Haul situation sounds just ghastly, I am so sorry G has had to go through it. I hope that you had a restful weekend (hmmmm; somehow, I doubt that, you are always so busy) and will have a very low-stress work week. I know that you are looking forward to that pot o' gold at the end of your rainbow: having your family with you again.

JOYce, arrrgggghhhhh---you lost recipes, too??? That's just terrible! I hope you get your computer fixed really soon, and that somewhere, somehow--your documents will be rescued.

Today was my sweet sister Jane's birthday, we had a small dinner party for her. It was so much fun, but I fear I ate too much (again). I think when I finally do get back to WW meetings, I will probably scream when I see what it is I weigh by now....
Old 07-14-2002, 03:43 PM   #5  

Joyce HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
Carol
Old 07-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #6  

Hi girls - hope everyone has had a nice week-end.

We have had some serious rain here yesterday afternoon and during the night. It started just as we returned from dinner -dd & sil had taken me to Reb Lobster for my belated birthday dinner. I had one heck of a time driving home in the driving rain and the dark! I hugged the esplanade all the way home because I couldn't seen the white lane dividers since the roads were so flooded. Anyway, I made it home safely. It rained a little more during the night and just now the sky is darkening again and I believe we are in for another round. This time, however, I will be tucked safely at home! Oh - but while we were driving to the restaurant last night - the sky to the East was dark and menacing and the sky to the West was full of sunshine. We drove under one of the most magnificent, bright double rainbows I ever remember seeing. Just wonderous!

Joyce - Happy Anniversary to you! Wow, 46 years is amazing. I hope your bridal shopping experience is as easy as mine was. I literally bought the first dress I tried on and even though I continued to "browse" for months afterwards, I never found another one I liked as well.

Linda - How's the foot. My cousin called me the other day and she is able to walk a bit on her foot. However, she still travels with a walker, wheelchair and cane when they go out of town to their bayfront property. More trouble than traveling with an infant, wouldn't you say?

Jan - Are you back yet? We are all anxious to hear of your trip. If you are in Florida, I am afraid your water activities may have been rained out. I am basing that on Carol's weather report as well as what I have seen on the national weather maps the last few days.

Carol - I was sure I was right about the house. I think we do have some sort of connection! Terrible story about the U-Haul. We have used them occasionally but have never experienced the trouble you describe. Guess we have been lucky. Don't envy your ex-dh that drive the the summer heat! You take take of yourself and do whatever you can to feel better - that includes staying off your feet!! Yeah, yeah, I know - easier said that done.

Gotta go before the storms come in and blow me off the computer. Everyone have a nice week - even if tomorrow is Monday already!
Old 07-14-2002, 07:10 PM   #7  

Hi everybody! We're finally back, though we're just now getting back to "normal," so to speak. Jet lag, I guess, combined with a bit of a hassle getting back home. Our plane couldn't land in DFW due to storms, so they went to Austin instead, and we rented a car there & drove home at 2 a.m. Friday; then had to return the car to Austin the next day, pick up our car in SA and locate our one checked bag. (We just couldn't part with the cute corkscrew we'd bought over there!) But the rest of the trip was just wonderful. The weather cooperated, the scenery was lovely, and of course the food and wine ... oh my! We sampled all sorts of goodies: escargot, great salads, pastries, cheeses, and of course bread. But I guess all the walking and stair climbing (once we were on the sixth floor, no elevator!) really helped, because dh lost a pound and I stayed the same. Whew ... I was kinda worried. Will post some pictures after we get back from Florida! (We're leaving tomorrow morning.) Carol, could you email me your Florida phone no.? Will call you Thur. evening if that's ok? (We're taking 4 days to drive so we can stop in New Orleans and a few other places along the way.)

Linda, that is such good news about your ankle healing so well! And how great that your doctor said you had dense, strong bones. You must have been very good about taking in calcium over the years! I'm glad you were able to get out to that party and have some fun; hope the cast can come off soon!

Carol, is the lupus flareup going away? I'm so sorry that you had to do all that work, just when you needed to rest, but I know you must be thrilled to have them coming to Florida and living so close! That's a shame about how the UHaul people acted; no air conditioning, whew, that's awful. When are they driving back?

Texaslady, a belated happy birthday! I'm with you, driving through rain is no fun, but at least you got to see a lovely rainbow! Re: the floods, the SA river flooded a little town north of us pretty badly, but it didn't get to our house; we're on the higher bank. The photos in the local paper are downright scary! And all the weeds hanging off the TOP wires of the fences are quite a sight. The major highways out of the county were closed for 3 days, we heard. Worst flood they've ever had in this area. But things are so green now! And we won't have to sell cattle, thank goodness.

JOYce, happy anniversary tomorrow! It sounds like you and your dgd are having a great time with your tea parties; how sweet of you to take her out to a real tea parlor! (I love those places!) It sounds like you have a very full agenda, with the church supper, driving, and all; be sure to take time for yourself, now!

Janet, I hope you get good news from your doctor; I will be sending good thoughts your way, and praying for a good prognosis. How wise of you to see a doctor so soon; I have heard that many thousands of people have diabetes and don't know it, but here you have caught it before any damage was done, and can get it under control. I agree with Texaslady, best not to read and investigate too much; I can imagine how upsetting that could be. I just have this feeling it will all turn out just fine!

Well, guess I'd better finish packing for Florida! Dh is loading the kayak on the car, so hopefully we'll get some good exercise in on this trip. Will be away from the Internet until Thurs. night, but will check in asap! Everyone have a great week ...
Regards,
Jan
Old 07-16-2002, 08:24 PM   #8  

Hi everyone -

Can't stay but just wanted to welcome back Jan. I am so proud of you for not gaining during that wonderful trip - but I knew you would keep things under control! And congrats to dh for actually losing a pound! Looks like you are missing more rain headed your way tomorrow - we have had it for about 5 days now and are sick of it!

Will check in again later
Old 07-16-2002, 11:40 PM   #9  

Welcome back to the good ol' US of A, Jan! Hope you have a great time in Florida.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:48 PM   #10  
Inchworm

Default THE DRESS~

Well, we didn't find it Tuesday, that evening i went to several other stores near where I had left dgd for soccer practice, I was geting sooooo discouraged! Wed. a.m., I skipped water aerobics, and went to the mall and went thru all the stores that we missed the night before, got suggestions from clerks, etc...and finally found the perfect one in Mervyn's! on the clearance rack!! I was so excited!!! it is just what I needed! and it is a sheer polyester, that will be really cool in the heat of Oklahoma.

ds came in yesterday for his fishing trip with his dad. 13 yr old dgd comes tomorrow to spend 2 weeks, so have been busy rearranging rooms etc, gettng ready.
ds got here with out his suitcase, but the airline called and they have it, so we can get it tomorrow when we pick up dgd. whew!

must go feed dgd and her friend
they are having tacos made with last nights left over roast.
a family favorite!
Old 07-23-2002, 06:51 PM   #11  

Hi girls - hey, it's kind of quiet in here!

Carol - guess you are busy getting your brood moved in and settled. Hope the move went OK and everyone has finally arrived.

Linda - Do you still have the cast on? Hopefully not. I know you are anxious to be on your own "two feet" again!

Joyce - Congrats on finding the dress for the wedding. Ha! There will be nothing that will be cool in Oklahoma in August, but it looks like you made the best choice possible by getting a light fabric - and on sale yet! Guess it was meant to be..........

Janet - Have you been to the doctor again? Let us know what's going on & keep us informed.

Guess Jan is still vacationing in Florida or somewhere between here and there. Gosh, the floods seems like they were months ago - everything is so hot and dry again. Temperature has been hovering around 100 nearly every day for a week now.

I have some news. Last week my old firm called me and asked what it would take for me to come back to work for them! So I negotiated myself a nice little pay raise and put in my notice at the office where I am now. I will change jobs on August 6. I have not been entirely pleased with this current employment and I am excited about returning to work with some of my good friends at the old firm. Good things come to those who wait.....

Gotta go now. Everyone have a great rest of the week. Will check in again later.
Old 07-23-2002, 07:44 PM   #12  

Hi everyone! Sorry to be gone for so long- it's been a busy week, to say the least!

DD and family are all settled in as of last Monday night/Tuesday. In fact, today dsil got a job with Bennigan's (restaurant). The move itself was full of problems- including the breakdown of the unsafe, beat up UHaul they were given (poor exdh was driving that). No air conditioning, no speedometer, no odometer, no temp gauge, one headlight and no dash lights. But they all got here safe and sound, and that is what matters. My little guy has been so glad to see me- he cries when I leave him if we've been together. Guess he's afraid I'm going away again. Dgd has grown so- what a sweetie!! Boy, did I miss them!! DD loves the house and they are both in love with the neighborhood.

Jan and I and her dh met for lunch at a halfway point between her Florida sister's house and mine on Saturday. It was great to see them, and fun to "catch up". Jan looks wonderful- you would never guess she had ever been overweight!!!

Texaslady, good for you for getting the old job back. I didn't think you seemed too happy with the new one- other than the better commute. It must make you feel good, too, that they missed you enough to recruit you back with a nice raise!

My friends, I know I should post more, but I'm so tired and I really need to take care of some online chores. Just wanted to check in so you knew I was still around!
Hi to everyone- talk to you soon.
Carol
Old 07-29-2002, 11:04 AM   #13  

Texaslady, congrats on the "new" job! (And the raise!) It must be a great feeling to know how much they valued your work there, and I'm sure you will enjoy being around your former coworkers. (Are most of the same people there now?) I agree with you about the heat; it's back with a vengeance! Dh and I get our walks in around sunup, yet it's still warm and humid even then.

Carol, I so enjoyed getting to visit with you in Florida! You're looking great; Florida must agree with you! And I'm glad your dd and dsil are enjoying their new home, too. I envy you your pool in this hot weather; I'll bet you're really enjoying that!

JOYce, your new dress for the wedding sounds great; and you found it on sale, even! You are a shopping genius. Sure hope y'all will be able to swing down our way next month for a visit!

Linda, thanks for the welcome home! How is the ankle doing?

Janet, I hope you are getting good news from your doctors and tests. Did you enjoy your Florida vacation?

Sorry to have been so long away from the boards. We got back from Florida late Tuesday, and have been racing around like crazy taking care of stuff, unpacking, cleaning, etc. School starts in 2 weeks (Dh started today) so I'm in my lab getting the machines ready, etc. I'm looking forward to meeting my new students (and our new principal) though I just don't know where the summer went!

Have maintained WW goal this summer, but I'd hoped to lose a few pounds towards my personal goal. Am determined to reach it before the end of the year, though! Will go to WI on Saturday, and hope to have good news then.

Dh is getting a bit discouraged by the slow (in his mind, anyway) rate of loss he's experiencing. I told him that 24 pounds is terrific, even if it has taken a while, and that the slower it goes, the better his body can adjust to and maintain the losses. But he says that if things don't speed up a bit by the end of August, he'll stop going to WW meetings and "go it alone," which hasn't worked well for him in the past. I'm hoping that now that we're back home and better able to control exactly what we eat, he'll have some good losses this month and will want to continue the meetings.

Hope everyone has a great week! I am challenging myself to keep a journal and stay under points all this week; anyone want to join me?
Regards,
Jan
Old 07-29-2002, 01:57 PM   #14  
Inchworm

Thumbs down

Jan It is hard to believe that summer is "gone" and you are getng ready for school to start already!
Although, I had to laugh at dgd the other day, she said although she should be excited about going to OK to see her sisters and be in the wedding, she can't be too excited, because it means that when she comes home she starts school the next day.
but this is her senior year, so lots to look forward to.
I hope your dh will hang in there, he is off to a great start. so easy to get discourages though....(coming from the EXpert!)
We're looking forward to seeing some fun pictures fom you!

Carol it is easy to understand why we haven't heard much from you, bet you and your little 'sweeties' are having lots o fun!

texaslady Congrats on your new job! and the raise to go with it!!

We got the wedding invitation from dgd on Saturday, so guess it is official. hard to believe we leave in 3 weeks!
our travel agenda is ever-changing...now dd and her kiddos are riding with us, she and dh are scheduling stops of interest to the kids. WE have to make a bee-line back after the wedding, I just got my Jury summons! for the day before we expected to get home. I need to go do my registration and ask for a postponemnet... better do that!
more later!

Last edited by gmalil; 07-29-2002 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-29-2002, 02:23 PM   #15  

Texaslady, congratulations on the job and raise! I'm really happy for you.

Jan, welcome home, I can't believe that you are getting ready for school to start already, gosh! I can understand how your dh must feel, after losing so much and not being able to continue the downward trend -- and I hope that he will decide against stopping the WW meetings, that did NOT work for me! Although you two are avid walkers and I know that you fix nutritious, low-point meals, so it very well might be that he'll have no trouble keeping the weight off. My ankle is getting better every day, thanks for asking. When I saw my doctor last week, he told me that I don't need to wear my "walking boot" around the house, what fun it is to just get up and start walking, rather than having to velcro it on every time I want to be somewhere else in the house! Wheeee!

Janet, how are you doing? Thinking about you.

Last edited by Linda Jean; 07-29-2002 at 02:26 PM.
Closed Thread