General chatter - What are you reading-Sept 2009

View Full Version : What are you reading-Sept 2009

Smiling_Sara
09-01-2009, 08:17 AM
I'm in the middle of Hot Six by Janet Evanovich. Tell us all what you are currently reading?

CanadianCutie
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm alternating between, Pride and Prejudice, and The Friday Night Knitting Club (at least I think that's the title, I can't lay my hands on it at the moment to check)

Glory87
09-01-2009, 11:46 AM
I just finished The School of Essential Ingredients (http://www.amazon.com/School-Essential-Ingredients-Erica-Bauermeister/dp/B002BWQ572/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251816220&sr=8-1) and I thought the author was trying WAY too hard. It is the smushiest, mushiest, prosiest book I have read in a long time. She did get me with one turn of phrase that really stuck to me but wow, it was way over the top in practically every description. It was very "like water for chocolate" - food is magical!

I'm now reading The Last Single Woman in America (http://www.amazon.com/Last-Single-Woman-America/dp/B002HREL90/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251816386&sr=1-1) and so far it's pretty funny.

SmallSteps
09-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Secrets of a Former Fat Girl and 100 Days of Weight Loss

lizziep
09-02-2009, 03:06 AM
Shadowmarch by Tad Williams - fantasy, slow start but i'm in the middle now and it's excellent so far. HUGE book though, and there's a second one just as big to read when I'm done.

TracyB73
09-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Reading Nora Roberts Blue Dahlia

Chele615
09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
I just finished "The Time Traveler's Wife" about a week ago. Loved it!!!

Next, I think I might start "No One You Know" by Michelle Richmond (I think that's her name). I read one of her other books "The Year of the Fog" and really liked it a lot, so I hope this one is similar!

alinnell
09-04-2009, 03:37 PM
I didn't really read much in August, but did manage these two:

Living in a Foreign Language (http://www.amazon.com/Living-Foreign-Language-Memoir-Italy/dp/B001T4YTO4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1252089318&sr=8-2) which I read prior go going to Italy. While in Italy I read Virgin Suicides (http://www.amazon.com/Virgin-Suicides-Novel-Jeffrey-Eugenides/dp/0312428812/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252089297&sr=8-3). Now that I'm home I'm reading Middlesex (http://www.amazon.com/Middlesex/dp/B000SEGCK0/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252089297&sr=8-9). I'm almost done with the book (starting part 4 today) and am finding it really odd, strange, interesting and compelling all at once.

sharongracepjs
09-04-2009, 04:11 PM
@alinell - 'Middlesex' is superb! I really loved that one.

I just started "Metropolis," by Elizabeth Gaffney, about turn-of-the-century NYC and Barnum's Circus, and I'm in the middle of "Man's Search for Meaning," by Viktor Frankl, a holocaust survivor. Excellent.

ANOther
09-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Finished Good Omens last night. Tonight starting The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

mrsaugie
09-05-2009, 03:05 PM
right now i am in the middle of Medusa

my to read list consists of:
Wicked the life and time of the wicked witch
3 Nora Roberts books i am borrowing from MIL.

witch order they are going to be read i am not sure yet but that is where i am for books at the moment.

Smiling_Sara
09-08-2009, 12:11 AM
The Lucky One by Nicholas Sparks

Glory87
09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
Tonight starting The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Loved that one!

I read 2 books over the weekend:

Hello Goodbye (http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Goodbye-Novel-Emily-Chenoweth/dp/1400065178/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252420081&sr=8-1) - tearjerker! Hated the daughter, but I must have cried 3 times.

Let the Right One in (http://www.amazon.com/Let-Right-John-Ajvide-Lindqvist/dp/0312355297/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252420150&sr=1-1) - got the book after I watched the movie. Really liked it! But I like vampires :)

time2lose
09-08-2009, 12:47 PM
I have been traveling a good bit the past month so I have listened to several audio books. All the Janet Evanovich books read by Lorelei King are very entertaining. DH and I get such a laugh from them. We listened to FINGER LICKIN' FIFTEEN and PLUM SPOOKY this weekend. One warning - it does contain adult material. I would not want to listen to this with either my mother or my children.

Tracy - I loved Nora Robert's Blue Dahlia and the other "In the Garden" books.

sweetandspicy
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
Ia m reading Plum Spooky and the sisterhood series by Fern Michaels. I have loved all the Janet Evanovich books. I started reading them after my son was born. I wish there were more!! Still have not read 15..

lizziep
09-09-2009, 03:13 AM
still plugging along with Shadowmarch but also started reading Escape which is about a woman who escaped from an FLDS compound with her children. It's very interesting and sad, it's not the first book I've read on the polygamy sects or even on escaping religious/cult life... but it is definitely a compelling story so far.

Glory87
09-09-2009, 11:46 AM
I'm reading the new Phillipa Gregory but she's losing me with all the "descended from a Goddess" stuff. Isn't the historical truth interesting enough??

alinnell
09-09-2009, 01:33 PM
Jen, the first Phillipa Gregory book I read (The Other Boleyn Girl) was really good and the other two or three I've picked up made me feel meh. They just didn't do it for me.

I had to clean my side table in the family room the other day as my stack of "to read" books was precariously high and the dog knocked it over with his tail. I must have 8 books that I've recently bought that I need to read!

Glory87
09-09-2009, 02:55 PM
I also like Gregory's early stuff, but I don't know if I can finish this one! I've abandoned quite a few lately (the latest Anita Blake - I don't even know why I try), makes me feel kind of bad.

I have a huge stack of "to reads" must get crackin!

To read:

Hope in a Jar (http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Jar-Beth-Harbison/dp/0312381964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252519127&sr=8-1)

Wednesday Sisters (http://www.amazon.com/Wednesday-Sisters-Meg-Waite-Clayton/dp/0345502833/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252519167&sr=1-1)

ohiofreespirit
09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Nothing, i gave up trying to read right now.

tweetlebeetle
09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I just finished Catching Fire and am working through Judas Strain, which is a spy novel, government agencies fighting to save the world kinda deal. It's OK.

lizziep
09-12-2009, 07:03 PM
Just finished Escape and I must say I'm deeply affected.

JasonsLea
09-12-2009, 10:51 PM
I just finished rereading Diana Palmer's Beloved, one of my faves by her. I can't wait to get my hands on the new Philippa Gregory book. #55 out of 66 holds as of today. ;)

shan84
09-12-2009, 11:12 PM
Just finished "A Gift of Grace" by Amy Clipson- It's about the Amish lifestyle and a really touching story. I think she is turning it into a series.

I just started "Ransom My Heart" which comes from Meg Calbot but written by her fictional character Mia Thermopolis. It's interesting so far.

I'm all about good chick lit as I like to call it! :) Anything by Nicholas Sparks, Nora Roberts, Francine Rivers, or Fern Michaels is usually worth the time!

ANOther
09-13-2009, 01:59 PM
Done with The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society (I wish it were twice as long!). Tonight starting The Book of Lies, and getting The Lost Symbol the minute it hits the stores later this week

Glory87
09-13-2009, 11:04 PM
I loved Gernsey - it was one of my favorites from last year, I gave my step mom a copy for her birthday.

I just finished:

Hope in a Jar (http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Jar-Beth-Harbison/dp/0312381964/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252893727&sr=8-1) - good beginning, but was a little flimsy. There was a huge shocking secret revealed at the end that I don't think was handled very well.

I'm So Happy For You (http://www.amazon.com/Im-So-Happy-You-friends/dp/0316044504/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252893785&sr=8-1) - I found it very readable, but I disliked the main character a lot. She had a lot of "friends" but everything was very shallow and superficial.

I"m still trying to read the new Phillipa Gregory, but I keep putting it down. Next up:

The Wednesday Sisters (http://www.amazon.com/Wednesday-Sisters-Meg-Waite-Clayton/dp/0345502833/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252893851&sr=1-1) - I'm about 20 pages in, so far so good!

alinnell
09-14-2009, 12:12 PM
Just finished Escape and I must say I'm deeply affected.

My goodness that was such an incredible book! I think I read it in less than 5 days--I just couldn't put it down. Affected? Yes. Definitely, especially since I was a flower girl in a polygamist wedding (although at the time we didn't know it--he didn't choose his second wife for several years later).

tikanique
09-14-2009, 01:44 PM
Someone turned me on to the Odd Thomas series from Dean Koontz. I'm on book three - Brother Odd. I also have to read Tale of Two Cities this month in order to assist my son with school.

Smiling_Sara
09-15-2009, 12:35 PM
In the middle of Everyone is Beautiful by Catherine Center

It's alright so far. After this, I'm gonna attempt to read Middlesex

alinnell
09-15-2009, 01:43 PM
The Monster of Florence (http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Florence-Douglas-Preston/dp/0446581275/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253032934&sr=8-1). It's a true story about a serial killer (killers?) in Florence, Italy. I figured since I was just there I ought to read it. It's very interesting.

AbbySinthe
09-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Just finished: A Wolf at the Table by Augusten Burroughs - I am addicted to him. Read Running w/Scissors & Dry and just can't get enough of his amazing life story.

Currently: Dark Tower III The Wastelands by Stephen King - Always been a huge King fan but had never read this series until just recently. I read the 1st two books in the last 2 weeks and I cannot put them down.

Glory87
09-15-2009, 04:12 PM
In the middle of Everyone is Beautiful by Catherine Center

I have it on hold at the library!

Glory87
09-16-2009, 03:10 AM
I just read The Convenient Marriage (http://www.amazon.com/Convenient-Marriage-Georgette-Heyer/dp/1402217722/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253081318&sr=8-1) and just loved it! It was my first Georgette Heyer. Does anyone have any favorites of hers to recommend?

mandalinn82
09-16-2009, 03:17 AM
A lot of books in my hands these days!

Nice Girls Don't Get the Corner Office by Lois Frankel - good tips, definitely food for thought career wise.

Food Matters - Mark Bittman - loved it. Half information about the food industry and sustainability, half recipes.

The Crowning Glory of Calla Lily Ponder - Rebecca Wells - I like her books (she wrote Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, etc). Entertaining, if a bit overdramatic.

Busy Woman Seeks Wife - Annie Sanders - A nice bit of airplane/travel fluff while in Portland this weekend.

I also finished the second Twilight book. I enjoy the writing, mostly, but I'm really not fond of any of the characters.

NurseMichelle
09-16-2009, 10:00 AM
I figured I could hijack this thread and ask, would you ever invest in one of those Kindles? I've been considering it as a reward for weight loss, or milestone birthday, something. Would you miss the experience of an actual book, the turning of the pages, etc? I think the cost would eventually even itself out, the convenience to download what/where/when you wanted and the cost of the download vs. the actual book (35.00 vs. 10-15.00 I've heard). In fact i've almost convinced myself to pursue getting one. Would you?

Oh and I'm reading Everyone is Beautiful too...well wait, right now I'm reading something else (its upstairs, too lazy to go see...LOL) but I picked it up at the library too. If I can't get into this one, maybe I'll switch it.

Glory87
09-16-2009, 10:59 AM
I don't have a Kindle - but I have Sony Digital Book and I loooove it! I use it mainly for travel (since I read so much, I typically check books out of the library for day-to-day use).

For travel, it's perfect. Instead of having to carry a book, a back up book and then a back up back up (in case my back up sucks), I can just carry my Reader. Prices are pretty good - about 10.00 for a best seller. The screen is gorgeous and easy to read. It's like paper, really - no backlighting to make your eyes tired.

I bought my Reader a couple of years ago, the newer models have touch screen (which would be so cool) and wireless (Kindle makes a big deal out of this as a feature, but I have never needed to download a book on the fly). My reader holds 300+ books, I always have something to read with me.

The Kindle only works with books bought from Amazon, which is pretty nice, they have a HUGE selection. The Reader reads epub format, which is the industry standard. There are a lot of free books out there (google for instance, is on a mission to digitize public domain books and they are currently up to 1 million). The Reader also accepts Word and PDF, you can just drag and drop them onto the machine. Kindle has some 10 cent file email service which I've only heard about it.

When I'm reading on the Reader, I definitely don't miss reading a book or turning pages. Cost is the main deal breaker for me, I could not afford to buy every book I read - just can't do it. Libraries are starting to digitize books and Sony is working with libraries (the NY public library is big). My local library actually has a few digital books available (mostly public domain stuff) but I expect it will grow.

Other pluses - battery life lasts FOREVER (but if you drain the battery completely dead it takes a looong time to recharge via USB from a computer, I need to just bite the bullet and buy the wall charger accessory).

Oh - another plus. If you are interested in buying a Reader, you can actually go into a store, pick one up and try it out. The Kindle is only available online. Best Buy, Borders, Sony Style...all sell the Reader!

alinnell
09-16-2009, 01:43 PM
I figured I could hijack this thread and ask, would you ever invest in one of those Kindles? I've been considering it as a reward for weight loss, or milestone birthday, something. Would you miss the experience of an actual book, the turning of the pages, etc? I think the cost would eventually even itself out, the convenience to download what/where/when you wanted and the cost of the download vs. the actual book (35.00 vs. 10-15.00 I've heard). In fact i've almost convinced myself to pursue getting one. Would you?

I bought a Kindle last March and I love it, although I'm not 100% faithful to it. I have a book craze where I love going to book stores and seeing all the new things and sometimes I just can't walk out empty handed. However, there have been times when I just look and I write down titles and go home and see if they're available on Kindle--so far I'm finding about 50% of what I want to read available on the Kindle. There are some that aren't offered. And yes, the new books are LESS on the Kindle AND you can get almost all the classics for free.

Glory87
09-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I finished Everyone is Beautiful and it was pretty good - a little too much plot contrived cell phone shenanigans towards the end.

Here's a link to my Good Reads profile - if anyone wants to check out my books, or friend me!

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/1035707

sotypical
09-17-2009, 01:54 PM
I finally decided to read twilight! I finished the first book in 3 evenings, started the second this morning :) Really enjoying them.

Fressca
09-17-2009, 02:17 PM

Just sticking my head in here to say... I love, love, love my Kindle! I thought I'd miss the "book experience", but I haven't yet. It's especially great for travelling, but also when I have to read in bed because I can't sleep. I keep looking for downsides, haven't found one yet...

Glory87
09-19-2009, 02:05 PM
I just finished This is Where I Leave You (http://www.amazon.com/This-Where-I-Leave-You/dp/052595127X/ref=pd_sim_b_5) and I loved it. It read like a movie script (in a good way). I thought the author wrote men and women very well - but the book did get a little over the top "my family is SO crazy" towards the end. Some absolutely beautiful prose and a few laugh out loud funny bits.

Heather
09-20-2009, 12:28 AM
I am currently reading a series by Kim Harrison called "The Hollows". Just prior to that I read Barbara Kingsolver's "Animal Vegetable Miracle"

Smiling_Sara
09-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Middlesex. I've heard awesome things about it and it's been sitting on my shelf unread for 2 years

harrismm
09-21-2009, 11:29 AM
I actually have 2 kindles and LOVE them.I use one while working out on the treadmill or stationary bike.(in audio mode).Awesome.I cant not think of a downside.I do travel a lot so I love the wireless connection, ability to download local newspapers in minutes.It is so cool:)

Glory87
09-24-2009, 04:46 PM
Just finished Night Work (http://www.amazon.com/Night-Work-Novel-Thomas-Glavinic/dp/1847671845/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253820734&sr=8-1). Absolutely loved the beginning, 5 stars! But I hated the ending, 1 star!

Now I'm reading Dismantled (http://www.amazon.com/Dismantled-Novel-Jennifer-Mcmahon/dp/0061689335/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253821510&sr=1-1). It has an interesting "The Secret History" feel to it (although not as east coast and chilly).

ANOther
09-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Starting The Lost Symbol tonight YEAH!

CanadianCutie
09-26-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm jealous ANOther I haven't got that yet, I have to many books I'm wanting to read, so I'm keeping it as a reward for myself.

I'm reading Best Friends Forever, by Jennifer Weiner. My boyfriend refers to her books as "Weiner Books". Always trying to make me laugh.

Chele615
09-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Ooh....I really like Jennifer Weiner's writing! I actually cleaned out my bookshelf today and organized the books that I haven't read yet. I just bought Kathy Griffin's book and "Toe Picks, Cadaver Dogs, and Sports with No Balls" by Sherry Bosley. I can't wait to read it!!!! She has a blog about figure skating that is hilarious and that I visit weekly, so I am excited to read a lengthier version of her musings.

newleaf123
09-26-2009, 11:34 PM
I'm alternating between, Pride and Prejudice, and The Friday Night Knitting Club (at least I think that's the title, I can't lay my hands on it at the moment to check)

Hey, I'm reading Pride and Prejudice, also! Alternating with Son of the Rough South (a memoir).

Hamoco350
09-27-2009, 03:08 AM
The Client by John Grisham .. I'm into court room dramas, at the moment.

TIARA
09-27-2009, 04:36 AM
the o'malley series... by dee henderson

bacilli
09-27-2009, 09:23 AM
The China Study, finally!

Glory87
09-28-2009, 07:47 PM
I finished Dismantled. It was interesting, but I thought the ending was a trainwreck. I tried to read Just Breathe (http://www.amazon.com/Just-Breathe-Susan-Wiggs/dp/077832656X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254177603&sr=8-1) but I just can't get in to it. I liked the beginning a lot, but I'm not really interested in Mr. Perfect Small Town Firefighter with Troubled Teenage Stepdaughter. He's too perfect!

alinnell
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm now reading the second book by Stieg Larsson The Girl Who Played with Fire (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+girl+who+played+with+fire&sprefix=the+girl). I liked his first and so far am enjoying this one.

peace4me
09-30-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm reading Chocolate, Please by Lisa Lampanelli. It is not for the faint of heart...she is an insult comedian and her book can be shocking to most...I however find her funny and naughty.

peace4me
09-30-2009, 01:30 PM
I highly recommend all books by Elizabeth Berg. I have read all of her books except three, but I just bought them so I'm really excited to read them! Berg makes you laugh and cry...I think she is an amazing author.

Glory87
09-30-2009, 04:05 PM
I love Elizabeth Berg :)