100 lb. Club - One Thing

View Full Version : One Thing

SmallSteps
08-31-2009, 11:58 PM
If you could tell someone just one thing to help them lose weight-what would that one thing be?

mandalinn82
09-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Commit to making good choices and honor that commitment, every minute, no matter what's happening tonight or what you did the day before or that morning.

Onederchic
09-01-2009, 12:31 AM
Track everything you eat and drink

FreeSpirit
09-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Make sure you're eating enough.

everanderson
09-01-2009, 12:39 AM
Forgive yourself when you make a mistake.

paisleyprincess
09-01-2009, 12:46 AM
Drink your water.

ANewCreation
09-01-2009, 12:50 AM
Just start.

Somewhere, anywhere, pick a starting point. If that doesn't work then start something else until you find what does work for you.

Just start.

pucedaisy
09-01-2009, 01:03 AM
cut out the foods you tend to eat too much of. for many, its soda, or cookies, or fast food. for me its pasta, which isnt a bad thing, except i always eat 1/2 a pound of it at a sitting,and i would eat it several times a week- with heathy, veggie-rich sauces, no less, but still, 1/2 pound of pasta! i now eat my veggie-rich sauces with zucchini, and i am satisfied and slimmer. it doesn't have to be forever, but it makes no sense to eat the foods you overeat when you are on a weight loss plan.

oh, that's another thing- PLAN. have your healthy meals and snacks easily at hand. at all times. don't let yourself get hungry without a plan-approved meal or snack close at hand! and try to have something to satisfy your particular cravings- creamy (low fat yogurt, especially the greek kind, which is extra creamy, low cal, high protein, delicious-can you tell this is MY favorite snack?), crunchy (small handful of nuts, raw veggies, apples, etc) sweet (fresh fruit), tangy (pickles, etc.)

Oh-and keep checking in to 3FC!

kaybelle9
09-01-2009, 01:24 AM
Just because you slipped up at oncel, does not mean you need to sabotage yourself for the day/week. EACH time you put something into your mouth, you have a choice.

nooch
09-01-2009, 01:25 AM
"I'll start Monday" is bogus and "Monday" will never come - start today.

cfmama
09-01-2009, 01:37 AM
Commit to it. Whether you want to do it or not. Whether you want to sit your butt on the couch and forgo your exercise or not. Whether you WANT to stuff your face or not. Commit to your plan. Day in and day out. Because the excitement might wane. You might get bored... or have a plateau. But commit to it. Just do it.

SmallSteps
09-01-2009, 01:45 AM
Wow thank for all your answers! Mine is - Water water water!!!

Couch
09-01-2009, 02:15 AM
Weightloss is 90% mental.

Know thyself. Work with yourself, start with your reality.

If you are a planner, plan. If you don't deal with failure well, set easy to reach goals. If you aren't a morning person, don't try to exercise in the morning. If you like change, change your routine as often as possible. If you are an extrovert, exercise with other people and join a weightloss group. Allow yourself to fail and constantly improve. This is a journey, but you get to choose the route.

Bombe
09-01-2009, 02:25 AM
You can't truly fail if you never give up

luvja
09-01-2009, 02:36 AM
The journey is FULL of bumps in the road, but as posted above, you can't fail if you don't give up :)

Rosinante
09-01-2009, 03:56 AM
Eat less, move more.

TamiL
09-01-2009, 05:37 AM
A positive attitude is the most important thing! Yes I can do this!

TraceyElaine
09-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Start now. Not later, not tomorrow, not Monday for heaven's sake! Right now. Your life is NOW.

GirlyGirlSebas
09-01-2009, 07:41 AM
Weight loss is possible for everyone...yes, that includes you.

JayEll
09-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Avoid sugar.

Jay

Angihas2
09-01-2009, 08:40 AM
That there is no failure in this journey. There are only opportunities to learn more about yourself, your triggers and whats best for just YOU.

TJFitnessDiva
09-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Commit to doing this for yourself. As nice as you want to be don't do it for others, put yourself first for once ;)

starfishkitty
09-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Fruits and veggies!!!! Straight up!

Thighs Be Gone
09-01-2009, 11:17 AM
Let nothing and NO ONE come between you and your sleep, nutrition and exercise. I do mean NOTHING and NO ONE.

Ryanne
09-01-2009, 11:29 AM
Know why you are doing what you are doing, know what you want/need to do and do it. Yesterday and tomorrow don't count, do it today.

time2lose
09-01-2009, 03:15 PM
Be honest with yourself because ignoring something does not make it go away.

Onederchic
09-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Be honest with yourself because ignoring something does not make it go away.

Boy oh boy, ain't that the truth.

mandalinn82
09-01-2009, 03:41 PM
One more thing.

LOVE your food. Find ways to make the foods that are healthy for you ALSO be the foods you love, love, love to eat. Otherwise, how are you going to eat them for the rest of your life? Learn to embrace healthy foods and cook them in ways that taste better than the junk food, and take your favorite junk foods and find ways to create those same flavors, or at least same basic ideas, in a healthy way.

ubergirl
09-01-2009, 03:52 PM
Believe that it is possible.

cincimom11
09-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Pick something you can stick with, exercise- and diet-wise

Nada
09-01-2009, 04:09 PM
Know yourself. There are many "right" ways to lose weight and get healthier. If you're in it for the long haul, you don't have to do it all at once. Change one habit today, then another, then another.

rockinrobin
09-01-2009, 04:26 PM
A couple of first come to minds have already been used - COMMIT and find foods that you LOVE, sooooooo, I'll throw in -

You don't have to be fat if you don't want to be. KNOW IT. OWN IT. It is totally and completely in our hands. It is a choice to BE fat. So therefore it's a choice to NOT be fat.

I gotta get in another one -

Plan, plan and then plan some more.

Was that 3 things?????

matafleur
09-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Choose it. I don't mean make the choice to lose weight today. I mean choose to lose weight every day, all day. This means that you don't get to say "It's birthday cake day at work and I can't have any WAAAAAH!" Instead you get to choose.

You can choose not to have that cake - but you're not allowed to REGRET not having the cake.

You can choose to have a small sliver of cake to savor and enjoy - and not regret having eaten it.

You can choose to have a big ole slab of cake - and not regret that either, because you're not helpless to the cake. There's no "I couldn't help it," because you can ALWAYS help it. You always get to choose.

I've found great peace of mind in taking 100% responsibility for my choices. I never feel deprived because every time I go to bed hungry I'm choosing it. And every time I have a bedtime snack because I can't bear the belly rumbles I'm choosing that too. When I'm confronted with the delicious bread basket at a restaurant I ask myself 'do you really want it?' Sometimes the answer is yes, sometimes no. Either way, because I know get to decide I never feel cheated or frustrated or sad. I never feel like this is unfair.

Basically it's a mind game that I play with myself, but I think much of the weight loss process is mind games (how many of us have talked ourselves into liking veggies just by thinking "mmmm! YUM!" while eating something we didn't previously like all that much?).

Trazey34
09-01-2009, 06:23 PM
If I had to pick one thing to say, it would be "Don't WAIT" as in, don't wait for all the stars to align to be 'perfect time' to start; don't wait til so and so's wedding is over; don't wait til you get a huge bolt of lightening epiphany that changes your life LOL just start and trudge thru it.

findingfawn
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Find what works for you and do it that day, then do it all over again tomarrow. What works for so and so will not work for you, so focus on you and you will get there.

quiffy
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Believing in: Genetics be dammed, I choose my own fate.

traci in training
09-01-2009, 11:41 PM
Just for the record...we great minds all think so much alike!

Plan to fail if you fail to plan.
Find food you love that's whole and healthy.
Potatoes (couch) are pretty darn round and if you're one you probably will be too!
Like the TV commercials say - DON'T DELAY, ACT NOW!

Lyn2007
09-02-2009, 02:49 AM
Eat enough protein. Seriously. Key.

Alana in Canada
09-02-2009, 03:04 AM
Honour yourself.

Elladorine
09-02-2009, 03:47 AM
I think I shall quote Animaniacs . . .

"Just remember it's your body and the only one you've got."

Jadebatdog
09-02-2009, 03:56 AM
1. No complaining and no excuses. Just do it!

This has helped me SO MUCH. Whenever I used to fail I would cry and cry and feel so sorry for myself and think how I would always be fat. This time, I have already failed many times but the difference is that I just say 'I messed up' and start over fresh every morning.

2. When you lay in bed at night, think positively. Just lay in bed and imagine yourself one year from now and how you will look and how you will feel. You will fall asleep with a smile on your face!

I do this at the gym too when I'm on the treadmill. They play music videos on a big screen TV and I like to imagine that the singer/rapper whatever is singing to me because he thinks I'm so hot!

FitGirlyGirl
09-02-2009, 11:28 AM
It is ok to 'fake it 'til you make it'. This is something someone told me and it has helped me a lot. You don't have to love veggies right now, fake it, you'll get there. You don't have to want to work out, but if you do it anyway then eventually you will want to.

Get good shoes. This is very important because bad shoes can cause some bad injuries during excercise and if you have recently made a commitment to yourself to get healthy you really don't need an injury holding you back.

This one has already been said, but I agree so much that I will say it again - start now. Don't even wait until tomorrow. I don't care if you had a dozen donuts for breakfast and washed them down with a 2 liter of soda. That does not stop you from having a grilled chicken salad for lunch. Now means now! The same thing goes for when you have slip ups. If you've been doing well and you decide to eat a big piece of cake or a snickers or something that does not mean you should continue eating poorly for the rest of that day and try to start over in the morning. The sooner you jump back on the better.

It's ok to treat yourself if you are willing to pay the price. I love whatchamacallits - they are 230 calories each and 28 carbs. If I am willing to do the 20-30 extra minutes on the elliptical and give up some other carbs that day then I can have one.

Ok, so I'm talkative and don't know how to limit myself to one thing, 1, 4, same thing, right?

LisaF
09-02-2009, 11:35 AM
Think about all the things that you hate about dieting, and DON'T DO THEM this time around.

-and-

The only problem food can solve is hunger.

Lori Bell
09-02-2009, 11:42 AM
It never ends....It ain't over till it's OVER.

AR4life
09-02-2009, 01:12 PM
I'd say listen to your body, we can do it as children, relearn this valuable lesson. If hungry, eat, and stop when you feel full. Trust in yourself to do this :)

traci in training
09-02-2009, 07:22 PM
Get good shoes. This is very important because bad shoes can cause some bad injuries during excercise and if you have recently made a commitment to yourself to get healthy you really don't need an injury holding you back.

I agree - this one is REALLY important, too. Go to a real store where they watch you walk and fit you with shoes that will actually make walking/jogging/running easier. You absolutely deserve to do this if you're going to commit to exercise.

SunshineCA
09-03-2009, 02:20 AM
Take one day at a time.

kasmin
09-03-2009, 03:26 AM
always have a healthy alternative/snack in your bag!